Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I remember that day in 1974 & where I was when I heard the news. But that didn't help me because I wrote down, Nixon to NYC: "Drop dead!"  That was an infamous headline in, I think, the NY Daily News. Can't recall the year, though. City folks might remember. TS's were Lake Erie (not Michigan!!), Rhode Island (Jackie & JFK 💙) and Wright-somethin' AFB. Not my best game night 😸.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember that day in 1974 & where I was when I heard the news. But that didn't help me because I wrote down, Nixon to NYC: "Drop dead!"  That was an infamous headline in, I think, the NY Daily News. Can't recall the year, though. City folks might remember. 

October 29, 1975. Ford, not Nixon.

Screenshot_20230602_210907_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm happy the lady didn't win...talk about slow to choose! Still, just to get there on stage is an accomplishment I'd never be able to do.

I liked her well enough and would have been fine if she had won (I thought she should have gone all in on her DD), but Jared played a very good game today and definitely deserved the win. 

Very smug that I thought of Nixon Resigns.

I am scratching my head over the clue 'army rank for the "bird"s'. How do I get to colonel from that? 

• Like 3
On 6/1/2023 at 8:05 PM, dgpolo said:

First few years on the Great British Bake Off they all pronounced the 'macaron' type cookie as 'macaroon', they must have got push back because they then started pronouncing it -correctly- as far as I'm concerned, with only a few bakers nowadays using the 'macaroon' pronunciation.

I’m from NJ and for a very long time I always heard macaron pronounced as macaroon.   It’s only in recent years I’ve heard the difference in pronunciation.   Under pressure, I likely would have reverted to macaroon. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I am scratching my head over the clue 'army rank for the "bird"s'. How do I get to colonel from that? 

I don't know where I heard it - M.A.S.H. maybe? - but I've heard someone being called a "bird colonel" which is why I got this TS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
8 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't get it, either. I just searched the words "colonel bird" to see what came up. Army.mil tells me,

U.S. military colonels rank above a lieutenant colonel and below a brigadier general. The modern day insignia for a colonel is a silver eagle with a U.S. shield on its chest and holding an olive branch in one talon and a bundle of arrows in the other. The eagle insignia led to the informal term “full-bird colonel.”

Unrelated, You have selected regicide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
30 minutes ago, chicagofan said:
40 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't know where I heard it - M.A.S.H. maybe? - but I've heard someone being called a "bird colonel" which is why I got this TS.

Yep, me too. Don't know if it was M.A.S.H. I was an infrequent viewer of that, but I have heard 'bird colonel' somewhere.

• Like 2

They're just never going to let go of these damn "Women Authors" type categories, are they?

While I'm cranky: Mayim, please do not indulge that "THE Ohio State" nonsense.

Shifting gears to the positive, I enjoyed Sylvia's reactions when she came up with a guess for her DD, and when it turned out to be correct.  (I was rooting for her, so decidedly did not enjoy her guess of "Carter defeated" for an event that occurred two years before he was even elected.)

Also, thanks to those who explained what the "bird" hint in the colonel clue referred to (I got it, but only by thinking of ranks with a body part in the name; bird didn't help at all).

I ran regicide, which outright stunned me, garden, and organs, and got all but one in Ohio and sports.  I missed two in middle initials.  I know Patton is George S., but for some reason "C" came quite confidently out of my mouth.  The hell?  (The other one I missed was the sci-fi author, but that's a miss that makes perfect sense for me.)

I had a great round in DJ; I missed two each in states and authors, but ran everything else.

And FJ was an instaget, so I ended my J! week on a high note.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Shifting gears to the positive, I enjoyed Sylvia's reactions when she came up with a guess for her DD, and when it turned out to be correct.  (I was rooting for her, so decidedly did not enjoy her guess of "Carter defeated" for an event that occurred two years before he was even elected.)

She's Canadian, so I cut her some slack.

I say this as a Canadian who did get FJ correct, at the very last second. And yes, she probably studied American presidents specifically prior to going on Jeopardy. But still - it isn't something she would have learned in school, or through cultural osmosis.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know Patton is George S., but for some reason "C" came quite confidently out of my mouth.  The hell?

Maybe you were thinking of George C. Scott who played Patton in the movie.

• Like 6
  • Fire 2
Just now, chicagofan said:

I've never seen the film, but I know if it, so perhaps that is what went on in the recesses of my brain.  Interesting thought, thank you.

2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

She's Canadian, so I cut her some slack.

I say this as a Canadian who did get FJ correct, at the very last second. And yes, she probably studied American presidents specifically prior to going on Jeopardy. But still - it isn't something she would have learned in school, or through cultural osmosis.

I didn't see the intros or interviews, so did not know that.  Very good point.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've never seen the film, but I know if it, so perhaps that is what went on in the recesses of my brain.  Interesting thought, thank you.

Not sure if I've seen the movie - I was in 8th grade when it came out about to graduate grade school - but I always associate it with the shot of George C. Scott as Patton standing in front of the huge American flag saluting.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

October 29, 1975. Ford, not Nixon.

Screenshot_20230602_210907_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Gosh...Ford was such an affable guy. So I totally forgot & just presumed it was Nixon. The Daily News back then was totally different than it is today. But I love that headline--so New York! 

• Like 3

When the “Women Authors” category came up, I could swear I heard a distant chorus of groans from this board.

1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

I think it’s probably MASH. My husband got that instantly, and while I’m not saying he’s learned everything he knows from TV, he has spent an inordinate amount of time watching (and rewatching, and rewatching) MASH. It’s a sickness, really. So yeah, I think it’s MASH.

Based on the date, I knew FJ was about Nixon, but I struggled with it a little. I know “Nixon Resigns” is a famous headline, but the quote about needing to heal sounded like something Ford would have said about the pardon. But what would be the 2-word headline? “Nixon Pardoned” is too object-oriented, and the press hates past tense. “Ford Pardons Nixon” would make more sense there. So in the end, I went with the headline I knew.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't get FJ (though I guessed it had something to do with the president). In my defense, I wouldn't be born for another year and almost two months.

Baby.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Even after Mayim highlighted "colon" I still didn't get it. 

And I did watch M*A*S*H... but not recently.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

They're just never going to let go of these damn "Women Authors" type categories, are they?

You and I can sit in a corner and fume together. 

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

(I got it, but only by thinking of ranks with a body part in the name; bird didn't help at all).

That's smart thinking!

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

When the “Women Authors” category came up, I could swear I heard a distant chorus of groans from this board.

We are going to have to raise a ruckus they can hear across the great patriarchal chasm, because they clearly are not hearing our protests from here.

Jared was fun today. I don't even know exactly what about him was fun, I just know he was making me laugh in a good way. Jared the Jovial.

• Like 7

Thursday 

I just got Minuteman, handicapping and flounder. No FJ. 

Friday 

I got Lake Erie, Columbus, Colonel (my brother was a full bird), England, Rhode Island and bronchitis. Sadly again no FJ. 

• Like 1

I’m not incommunicado just yet!  

I hade to think about last night’s FJ briefly, so it wasn’t quite an instaget, but it was close.

And I got the TS of Lake Erie, Columbus, Akron, colonel, England, and Pennsylvania.  

We had Svalbard reindeer this morning, and more walrus this afternoon!  No polar bears yet, but there’s still time!

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
On 6/1/2023 at 4:59 PM, SHD said:

Nobody’s mileage should vary on this. They’re spelled differently, are pronounced differently, and are two different kinds of cookies. It’s ridiculous that they let that slide.

I agree. The fact that they came from the same related base words doesn't mean much to me - a lot of words do that and we wouldn't accept the one that wasn't right.  Besides, the clue was very specific about the specialty of a particular bakery in France, where they would most definitely get indignant to have their cookies called macaroons.

17 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Agreed -- I had to turn the volume down because of Eva.  That's a first for me.

She was loud, but she played well. She might have hearing issues, I hear that makes some people speak louder (though I have some too, and I speak more quietly, so who knows?)

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

As a military brat, "full bird colonel" is not just familiar, but baked into my memory. I guess that was supposed to get you to the rank, which "colon" was a part of. The clue was a bit clunky.

I watched two games one right after another, so I don't really remember how well I did. I got Pakistan mostly because I knew Islamabad (getting the Asian capitals down on Sporcle), but was in the wrong part of the world for Friday's FJ (thinking Tutu? Mandela?) LOL.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

As another Canadian, I would say she looks old enough to remember when it happened.  Back in 1974 almost all of our channels were American, so I don't know how she could have missed it.  Having said that, we're talking about someone from Toronto that didn't know that Ohio borders Lake Erie.  About 100 km from where she lives.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You're talking about sightings and not meals, right?

I'm sure they mean meals. The first night I was in Sweden on a business trip we ate at a restaurant where the menu was in Swedish. We started asking the waitress what things were. She apologized for her English (shouldn't have, she was good), but she couldn't remember the English word for reindeer, so she said - Santa Claus! 😄

• LOL 13
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

She apologized for her English (shouldn't have, she was good),

I often find that people who apologize for their English speak better than a lot of people who have lived here all their lives.

• Like 7

AMS1001 - in my book citizens of non-English speaking countries who can speak any English get extra points, because I would know absolutely nothing about another country's language.  I can figure out a Mexican restaurant menu given enough time, and that's it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

As another Canadian, I would say she looks old enough to remember when it happened.  Back in 1974 almost all of our channels were American, so I don't know how she could have missed it.

Wow.  That must have been very irritating to Canadians. Maybe that's where the idea for the "Great White North" sketch on SCTV came from (I wish we could still see reruns--back in the '80s I had to take a nap on Friday evenings so I could watch it starting at midnight). Someone at SCTV said it had to do with some Canadian official insisting there be more Canadian content on TV stations so they decided to have fun with that edict.

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

more Canadian content on TV stations 

Also true of radio. Detroit's Top 40 radio station back in the day was CKLW in Windsor,  and we got extra helpings of BTO, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell,  and everyone's favorite,  Gordon Lightfoot:)

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think Browncoat is eating reindeer and walrus and then looking forward to polar bear meals.

As I said, reindeer was on the menu at a Swedish restaurant where we had dinner.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The fact that they came from the same related base words doesn't mean much to me - a lot of words do that and we wouldn't accept the one that wasn't right.  Besides, the clue was very specific about the specialty of a particular bakery in France, where they would most definitely get indignant to have their cookies called macaroons.

I don't believe the judges accepted macaroon because the recipes or the words have a common origin. It's because the English for macaron came across the channel as macaroon and in some places English speakers refer to the almond meringue sandwich version of the cookie as macaroon. However because the coconut heap version is also called macaroon and is more common in North America people in some cases tried to make a distinction by calling the local coconut version macaroon and the French version by its French name macaron. 

I looked in my Joy of Cooking and although it doesn't have any buttercream  filling in the almond version it mentions that the almond cookie is the original macaroon. 

20230603_163003.thumb.jpg.23edab89e514247fbaa3ec0f5cb196e3.jpg

I found a reference to Martha Stewart and her recipe for "French Almond Macaroons" in Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook is the filled macaron.

Screenshot_20230603_164612_Libby.thumb.jpg.8fa43def95b5eb0a576269479f7dd8a5.jpg

So even though a lot of people use macaroon only for the coconut heap cookie, macaroon can be the French macaron and Jeopardy was correct to accept macaroon as a variant of macaron. And I will be glad if they never venture into this quagmire again.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You're talking about sightings and not meals, right?

I am pretty sure she is talking about sightings, not meals.

• Applause 5
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

As I said, reindeer was on the menu at a Swedish restaurant where we had dinner.

We had reindeer stroganoff in Norway. One picky eater wasn't at the table when we asked the waiter what kind of meat we were going to eat. His wife asked us not to say anything. So, he returned and was eating the meal, and then asked what kind of meat was it. We all kept our eyes on our plates and someone mumbled, "beef". Of course at the end of the tour, we told him. He was pi$$ed!  We didn't like him anyway so we all enjoyed that moment.

• LOL 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

But JFC...NO ONE knew the lake north of Ohio? 

Contestants are so often bad at Great Lakes clues, I've stopped being surprised by those TS.  They're worse than they should be in geography, period, but I really don't understand anyone competing in a trivia tournament not memorizing the Great Lakes in order*; there are only five, there are several mnemonic devices out there to make it easier, and they're asked about enough it's certainly worth that little bit of effort.

*I learned them from West to East and can rattle that off at the drop of a hat, but with a little more thought I can do them from largest to smallest, too (they're almost the same; you just flip Michigan and Huron).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/3/2023 at 10:17 AM, laredhead said:

AMS1001 - in my book citizens of non-English speaking countries who can speak any English get extra points, because I would know absolutely nothing about another country's language.  I can figure out a Mexican restaurant menu given enough time, and that's it.

When I was in France, I figured I could read a menu - I'd been to a French restaurant at home plenty of times. Sadly, I could not, and ended up ordering the only thing I understood on the menu -- pasta. I did eventually learn how to say ham baguette sandwich (they were delicious) and lamb (same). And bacon, the name for which amused me to no end "lard."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

I had a pretty good game on Friday.  I ran 5 categories (Regicide, Middle Initial, Sports Stars, It's A Fact, Animal Rock) and got all but 1 clue in 5 others (Garden Party, Internal Organs, Inventors, Women Authors, State Of The Union).  I got the stumpers Lake Erie, Akron (thanks, previous Jeopardy clues for that one), colonel, England, Pennsylvania and bronchitis.

FJ was an instaget.  1974 equals Nixon resigning.  Not that there wasn't other news that year but seriously, it was all about a president being forced to resign to avoid impeachment.

I started to say "C" for Patton's middle initial, thinking George C. Scott, obviously, but changed it in time.  I said "credibility" instead of "credulity" - wonder if that might've been accepted.

I love that Jong how combined Michael Phelps and Ian Thorpe into one person, even though I loathe Phelps.

On 6/2/2023 at 9:33 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I got it from watching M*A*S*H.  Col. Potter made reference to being a "bird colonel" many times.  It comes from the insignia of the rank which depicts an eagle.  Wasn't quite sure how it fit the category until Mayim said "colon" but I got it right even if I didn't really know why.

On 6/2/2023 at 10:43 PM, chicagofan said:

When I worked at Borders Books, one of my jobs was processing special orders.  Someone had ordered a biography of Patton and when it arrived, I didn't think it was the correct book because the portrait on the cover was not George C. Scott.  D'OH.  (Patton was my dad's favorite movie, so I saw it a lot as a child.)

On 6/3/2023 at 6:32 AM, bad things are bad said:

I was sure Jared would be one and done, but I was ok with him winning. 

But JFC...NO ONE knew the lake north of Ohio? 

Even if they weren't absolutely positive, once Michigan was eliminated, surely someone might've thought of Erie?

On 6/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, Browncoat said:

And I got the TS of Lake Erie, Columbus, Akron, colonel, England, and Pennsylvania.  

I got Pennsylvania because I've passed the turnoff for both Carlisle and Jim Thorpe, PA, on my drive to Ottawa.

On 6/3/2023 at 5:18 PM, annzeepark914 said:

We had reindeer stroganoff in Norway. One picky eater wasn't at the table when we asked the waiter what kind of meat we were going to eat. His wife asked us not to say anything. So, he returned and was eating the meal, and then asked what kind of meat was it. We all kept our eyes on our plates and someone mumbled, "beef". Of course at the end of the tour, we told him. He was pi$$ed!  We didn't like him anyway so we all enjoyed that moment.

Theoretically it isn't any different from eating venison, but I suppose the Santa association makes some people queasy.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Theoretically it isn't any different from eating venison, but I suppose the Santa association makes some people queasy.

Exactly… nobody wants to eat Rudolph! It seems more people are at least somewhat comfortable with eating Bambi.

IMG_0368.jpeg.318a0fd5e90cd8b585c71dacf99d493e.jpeg

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)

Quite possibly the worst game of Jeopardy I've ever played. Didn't do this badly in any of the Masters games. I'm just going to forget it happened and hope for the best the rest of the week.

Did not have a good feeling when I saw some of the categories like "Classic Children's Books", "Mythology" and "The Science of Poetry". Only TS I had was Ginza. But at least I didn't think that Tokyo was in the Philippines (I think that Jared forgot the category and was thrown off by "Japanese Garden" in the clue), or that Guam has a coastline on the Caribbean Sea.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 8
  • LOL 1

June 5:

63% / 50% / 57%

Not a great start to the week…didn't run anything in the first round, missed one each in Children's Books, Philippines, Task: Force, and It's Also a Boat (couldn't get past 'trimmer' instead of 'clipper' from the video), two in "G"eography, and five in Championship Team (would have done so much better without a dang sports category; I at least had the right sport for a couple of them…).

Did even worse in DJ…missed one in Science of Poetry, two in Mythology, and three in everything else.

At least FJ was an instaget and I also got all three DDs and the TSes of Stellaluna, force majeure, gondola, Luzon, Muriel's Wedding, and black holes.

• Like 3

I got FJ, but didnt think I was right.

the only missed clue I got was force majeure.

I had an OK night, couple boneheaded moments.  Like I also said tokyo, but luckily when it was wrong, i remembered the category.  Likewise I said Guam, then said that isn't a country and quickly switched to Guatamala.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ, but didnt think I was right.

I got it too thanks to 24, that's the first place I ever heard the President called that.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I got it too thanks to 24, that's the first place I ever heard the President called that.

I don't know where I first heard the term, but I just figured Obama would have been the first president to be on Twitter (looked it up afterwards and Twitter started in 2006 and really started to get big after 2007 and I didn't take George W. Bush to be an early adopter of social media; his account says he joined in 2010).

• Like 4