Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

They added a 5th ocean in 1999--the southern ocean.

I must've missed that memo!

On 6/20/2023 at 11:53 PM, possibilities said:

Queen Latifah, who plays The Equalizer on TV, has a long term relationship, but I still figured they wanted Denzel, even though I know zero about his personal life.

But they were going for couples who were together for a very long time and then got married (TIna Turner and hubby, Harrison and Calista, Helen Mirren and Taylor Hackford).  QL has been with her partner a long time, but as far as I know they haven't tied the knot.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I must've missed that memo!

I think most people missed it, I know I hadn't heard of it before today. 

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wondered about bodies of water smaller than oceans, but I don't know them, so I said Pacific and Southern Oceans. Then I remembered children's nonfiction books (was that James H?) and changed Southern to Indian.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Be still my heart - an actual round of Jeopardy with no TSs/missed DDs! Who'd a thunk it? Of course DJ was back to what passes for normal these days, but still not as bad as some rounds with 7 TSs and 2 missed DDs.

My game today kinda reflected that of the contestants. Had a really good J round - didn't run anything, but got 4 right in 5 of the 6 categories - "State Emblems", "20th Century Happenings", "Med. Abbrev.", "Chain" and "Of Fuels". No TSs obviously since duh, there weren't any.

DJ wasn't quite as good, but I did get more than half of the clues correct. Again I didn't run anything, but got 4 in "Going Dutch" and "Let's 'T' Up the Map". 2 TSs - Tangier and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

No FJ today - my first miss this week. 😢 Somehow I thought it was going to be some European head of state and not a U.S. president. 🤷‍♀️

I might just be picky, but I don't think that Dan's answer of chain mail should have been accepted in place of chain letters - but only because there was already a correct response of chain mail in the category. And another one of Dan's responses was "technically" incorrect. He said daylight savings time, but it's actually daylight saving time - no second "s". However since so many people use savings it's kinda become an accepted variant (stepping down from my soapbox now).

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I wondered why I got no ts's in the J round - there were none! Good for the contestants.

My only ts was Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I said Andrew Jackson for FJ.

All the contestants gave a FJ response that started with M.

• Like 5

June 22:

83% / 50% / 67%

Pretty great first round! Ran State Emblems, Med. Abbrev., and Fuels, missed one in Movie Title Connections and "Chain" and three in 20th Century Happenings.

And a crappy second round, again. Missed one in Going Dutch, two in Writing on the Walls and Vampire-pourri, three in 12-Letter Words and Trumpet, and four in "T" Up the Map.

I actually got FJ! Was not confident in the least, and really it just kind of floated idly through my mind but I didn't come up with anything else, so there ya' go.

There were no missed clues in the first round! When was the last time that happened?! There were 9 in the second, including both DDs. I got Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Hadrian's Wall (DD).

Darn, I was rooting for Dan.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I also got Buffy and Hadrian's Wall, and to my surprise Gaiman, I said it immediately and then shook my head because I was positive it was wrong because I read Stardust and I don't usually read Gaiman, but I was right so my subconscious knew what it was doing. I think the only other Gaiman I've read was Coraline. I've never heard of solarization. (and apparently the spell check hasn't either)

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

I might just be picky, but I don't think that Dan's answer of chain mail should have been accepted in place of chain letters - but only because there was already a correct response of chain mail in the category. And another one of Dan's responses was "technically" incorrect. He said daylight savings time, but it's actually daylight saving time - no second "s". However since so many people use savings it's kinda become an accepted variant (stepping down from my soapbox now).

I picked up on both of those as well. But I’m not ready to argue one way or the other as to whether either of them should have been ruled incorrect. I didn’t pay enough attention - would it have made a difference in the outcome?

• Like 2

What We Do In The Shadows is a hilarious show, and I don't even like vampires.

I wanted to know more about Andrea's time in l Salvador and what kind of community organizing she does.

I knew Baroque and Buffy and I think a few others, but I wasn't taking notes.

Mayim mentioned that this was Ben's 5th win, and that he qualifies for the ToC. I can't remember who else has qualified this season, but... prepare for slaughter.

• Like 5
(edited)

Took a quick look at the J! Archive and it looks like there are 9 automatic (5 or more wins) TOC qualifiers. Luigi de Guzman, Cris Pannullo, Ray Lalonde, Troy Meyer, Stephen Webb, Hannah Wilson, Ben Chan, Suresh Krishnan and Ben Goldstein. Not sure how many 4 day champs there are, plus we need to add various tournament winners to the mix. Don't know how many folks they need for the TOC since last year's tournament was an anomaly with the change in format and the super Champs getting first round byes. Maybe they'll go back to 15 contestants.

Edited to add: High School Reunion Tournament champ Justin Bolsen has also qualified for the TOC. Also Ike Barinholtz who won Celebrity Jeopardy. Thanks SomeTameGazelle.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I found the "misheard lyrics" category amusing, though I also thought it was more amusement than challenge.

The Madonna one was the best. 'Touched for the 31st time....'

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I wanted to know more about Andrea's time in l Salvador and what kind of community organizing she does.

I knew Baroque and Buffy and I think a few others, but I wasn't taking notes.

Mayim mentioned that this was Ben's 5th win, and that he qualifies for the ToC. I can't remember who else has qualified this season, but... prepare for slaughter.

What we do in the shadows new season in a few weeks

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Took a quick look at the J! Archive and it looks like there are 9 automatic (5 or more wins) TOC qualifiers. Luigi de Guzman, Cris Pannullo, Ray Lalonde, Troy Meyer, Stephen Webb, Hannah Wilson, Ben Chan, Suresh Krishnan and Ben Goldstein. Not sure how many 4 day champs there are, plus we need to add various tournament winners to the mix. Don't know how many folks they need for the TOC since last year's tournament was an anomaly with the change in format and the super Champs getting first round byes. Maybe they'll go back to 15 contestants.

Edited to add: High School Reunion Tournament champ Justin Bolsen has also qualified for the TOC.

Jeopardy has an official tracker. They have included Celebrity champ Ike Barinholtz as well as 4 time champs Matthew Marcus and David Sibley.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/toc-tracker

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

This is preempted by NBA draft coverage here, so I just checked the archive.  Finally, a game with something closer to a typical number of TS.

I know they have long accepted Daylight Savings Time, but I always wish the host would say "It's Daylight Saving, not Savings, Time, but we'll accept that" for educational purposes.  I can't remember if Alex ever did.

So close yet again for me in the first round; I almost ran the whole thing, but didn't know blockchain (I know I've heard it, but nothing crypto related sticks in my brain because I don't care). 

In DJ, on the other hand, I didn't run a single category.  I got all but one in words (solarization, and being able to see the picture wouldn't have helped any) and "T", but that's as good as it got.  I was better in vampires than I expected to be, by which I mean I managed to come up with two of them -- Buffy (I didn't watch it, but a then-roommate did, so the year got me there) and Van Helsing (who I learned about not from Dracula, but from the fantastically stupid horror spoof Saturday the 14th).  I missed two each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget, though, and that makes four in a row, so now that I've said that I have guaranteed I won't even have a guess for tomorrow's.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

For some reason I said Wall of Hadrian. Would that have been a no-go? I feel like they wouldn’t have accepted that.

I liked the champ’s story about Jason Schwartzman’s tips for how to gain weight. I’m not famous, but I, from personal experience, know several other effective methods if anyone needs tips. LOL 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)

I just wanted to know what a “stay-at-home daughter” is! I Googled it and the definition I found on Wikipedia is pretty gross so I hope she meant it some other way…

”The purpose of stay-at-home daughters is to "learn to assist their future husbands as helpmeets in their exercise of dominion by practicing that role in their relationship with their father."

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Mind Blown 9
7 hours ago, SHD said:

For some reason I said Wall of Hadrian. Would that have been a no-go? I feel like they wouldn’t have accepted that.

I liked the champ’s story about Jason Schwartzman’s tips for how to gain weight. I’m not famous, but I, from personal experience, know several other effective methods if anyone needs tips. LOL 

I’d gladly take any tips on how to gain weight as long as it isn’t a diet of junk food (too much salt or cholesterol laden). No matter how hard I try I can’t get to 80 lbs and yes, I have addressed this with my MD. 
    Although I ran a few categories, the only TS I came up with was Buffy. I didn’t even have a good guess for FJ. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I just wanted to know what a “stay-at-home daughter” is! I Googled it and the definition I found on Wikipedia is pretty gross so I hope she meant it some other way…

”The purpose of stay-at-home daughters is to "learn to assist their future husbands as helpmeets in their exercise of dominion by practicing that role in their relationship with their father."

She is older so I assume that's not it. I thought it meant she stays home and cares for her mom/ dad but who knows

• Like 10

IMVHO - Ben is a 5-day champion not because of his vast knowledge of many things, but by the fact that he has had very few good challenging opponents, he lucked out on a few DD's, and squeaked by with 2 bets in FJ.  I think he will be eliminated early in a TOC.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Ben's 5 day winnings total is pretty feeble.  Wonder what the record is for lowest amount of money won in 5 days 

I don't know about the "all-time low", but, based on the TOC tracker listed above, of those who've qualified for the next tourney, Ben is not only the lowest, but the next lowest has $78K (4-day winner), with the one after that $96K (6-day winner Suresh)! I mean, Ben is averaging $10K a win---pretty pathetic.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, laredhead said:

IMVHO - Ben is a 5-day champion not because of his vast knowledge of many things, but by the fact that he has had very few good challenging opponents, he lucked out on a few DD's, and squeaked by with 2 bets in FJ.  I think he will be eliminated early in a TOC.

Yes, and the same was said about the multi day champ before him (who was so memorable, I’ve already forgotten his name). Even the winning is lackluster these days.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I cannot be friends with anyone who doesn’t like that show.  Glad to know we’re good. 😉

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1

From The Jeopardy! Fan:

Andy’s Thoughts:

Ben is the first player in Jeopardy! history to win less than $50,000 post-doubling (or $25,000 pre-doubling) in their first five wins. The previous record was set last June by Megan Wachspress at $52,002.

• Useful 6
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

There's a comment on the show recap on The Jeopardy Fan:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/06/final-jeopardy-6-22-2023.html

Apparently she addressed it on Twitter.  I'm not a tweeter so I hope this is giving it the proper attribution:

As regards Andrea’s introductory descriptor:

“A note in advance of today’s #Jeopardy! fun and games: with all respect to those who live with their parents, the joke behind ‘stay-at-home daughter’ lies in the fact my mother is presently living with me and my seasonal work means I’m home a lot. Made Mom smile. Thx @Jeopardy!”

Time stamp: 07:27 (NDT, of course).

https://twitter.com/argphd/status/1671819580619014145

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
33 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

There's a comment on the show recap on The Jeopardy Fan:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/06/final-jeopardy-6-22-2023.html

Apparently she addressed it on Twitter.  I'm not a tweeter so I hope this is giving it the proper attribution:

Oh good!! That is what I first thought she meant but wasn't sure so was pretty shocked at the very first Google result for the term. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Like 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I thought the same. 

Ben's 5 day winnings total is pretty feeble.  Wonder what the record is for lowest amount of money won in 5 days 

lol...saw this just before I read the last several posts where that exact question was brought up (though this is for four days). At least he has a sense of humor about it.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yes, and the same was said about the multi day champ before him (who was so memorable, I’ve already forgotten his name).

That would be Suresh (who, after 6 wins, had almost double Ben's amount).

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

For FJ I said whoever was President in 1863. No idea who it was, but I was right. 🤣

I think you've got a typo there. Thursday's FJ cited 1823. I'm pretty sure most everyone here would know who was President in 1863!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

I think you've got a typo there. Thursday's FJ cited 1823. I'm pretty sure most everyone here would know who was President in 1863!

You're right! That was a typo.

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I'm almost positive this would be TS given the last few sets of contestants.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4

Well, at least they didn't call it "Women Authors".

Another good J round. Ran "Kids of the 70s, Rejoice!" and got 4 in "Remember Baseball?", "Who Reigned in England When..." and "I Learned It on Schoolhouse Rock". TSs/missed DDs were Elizabeth II, Victoria, Henry VIII (DD) and Ling Ling.

Meh DJ - only good category was "Same First & Last Letter Geography" where I got 4 right. TSs were Angola and Flagstaff.

FJ was an instaget. I've never read anything by Willa Cather, but this was just one of those cultural osmosis things. So 4 for 5 FJs this week - I'm so proud. 😜

And a category called "Musical Act Etymology! 😝

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Victoria, Elizabeth II, Constitution, MOHs.

I couldn't believe the champ guessed Victoria, -after- it had been answered correctly on another clue, also Alaska's statehood does not equal Victoria.

Almost broke the spoiler rule when I saw FJ was Female Authors for once, especially after recent (and ongoing) discussion.

• Like 4

A good game for the players, an okay game for me. Congrats to Donna on the win. 

I got the ts's or missed DDs of LingLing, Preamble to the Constitution, and Mohs Scale.

Should have gotten FJ from "pioneer" in the clue but I did not.

• Like 3

June 23:

67% / 57% / 61%

Not a great end to the week...In J! I ran Kids of the 70s, missed one in Books & Authors, two in Baseball, Animal Change a Letter, and Schoolhouse Rock, and three in Who Reigned in England.

In DJ I ran Chemistry Test, missed one in Musical Act Etymology, two in Quizzical and On Broadway, three African-American Firsts, and completely failed Geography.

Didn't get FJ. Ruined my perfect week.

TSes were Ling-Ling, Henry VIII (DD), Elizabeth II, and Mohs Scale.

• Like 2

I was so excited about "Female Authors" instead of "Women Authors" that I missed it.  And I've read the book, too!  Boo, hiss.

But I did get the TS of Ling-Ling, Elizabeth II, Preamble to the Constitution, Flagstaff, and Mohs scale.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
22 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

African American Firsts for $2,000.  Mae Jemison went to my high school (Morgan Park) and was a year ahead of me.  Empehi’s most famous graduate.

Sox or Cubs fan?

Mae Jemison is one of the 3 clues I missed in "African-Americam Firsts". I feel that I should have gotten all 3 of them - couldn't pull her and Harlem Renaissance from the recesses of my brain in time, and mistakenly said Butterfly McQueen instead of Hattie McDaniel. 🙁

• Like 3

I try not to yell at my tv but I just couldn’t help myself on “who ruled England when Alaska became a state?”

Shocked myself when I correctly guessed (and I do mean guessed) Willa Cather just because she was the only “female author” I could think of who I didn’t know enough about to rule out. 

And I may have the Preamble burned into my brain after a decades-ago chaperoning gig on a 5th grade field trip, where they had recently had to memorize it, and found it a great way to entertain themselves on the bus. (Not complaining. Could have been a lot worse.)

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Sox or Cubs fan?

Mae Jemison is one of the 3 clues I missed in "African-Americam Firsts". I feel that I should have gotten all 3 of them - couldn't pull her and Harlem Renaissance from the recesses of my brain in time, and mistakenly said Butterfly McQueen instead of Hattie McDaniel. 🙁

Sox, of course.  The south side rules.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
Just now, PaulaO said:

Sox, of course.  The south side rules.

I figured that was the case with Morgan Park as your alma mater. Lifelong north sider and Cubs fan here (but not an anti-Sox one) - live about 1/2 mile north and a mile west of Wrigley Field. Went to a nearby Catholic grade and high school.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I couldn't believe the champ guessed Victoria, -after- it had been answered correctly on another clue, also Alaska's statehood does not equal Victoria.

Almost broke the spoiler rule when I saw FJ was Female Authors for once, especially after recent (and ongoing) discussion.

I assume he was thinking Alaska being bought by the usa Instead of statehood but still ...

Not good

I had no idea on fj.  All I could think was Laura Ingalls wilder or 'whoever wrote Anne if green gables'

Actually a good game though. 

• Like 3