Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For Monday's FJ category of 20th CENTURY EVENTS, one of my main pre-guesses was the Hindenburg, except I was blanking on its name, and wondered if "dirigible disaster" would have been accepted, but instead went with "Challenger disaster," not realizing until Mayim reread the clue, that the clue included that the flames were leaping "from the ground," at which point I knew Challenger was wrong.
My 5 minute alarm on my phone for Jeopardy! is even labeled "Read FJ Out Loud!" but I rarely do. 😒

• Like 2
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm a sucker for long beautiful hair on men, so that was my shallow reason to root for Ryan. Well, that and the "Blessed are the cheesemakers" line from Life of Brian. But I have no problem with Donna defending her title.

That line from that movie may or may not have influenced my wanting the cheesemonger to win.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

She's workin' that vocal fry and I can't stand that noise.  

It's pretty painful to listen to.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Honestly, I kept waiting for her to remove the glasses, shake her hair free, and reveal the pent-up beauty beneath. Clearly, I’ve seen too many movies.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's why I'm taking a break this week. She's workin' that vocal fry and I can't stand that noise.  

I missed Friday's episode but thought maybe she was a joke, given the sweater, ridiculous glasses and annoying voice.  She looks like the Ruth Buzzi character on Laugh In who used to hit the dirty old man with her purse.

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
On 6/18/2023 at 4:09 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

But it's different on fj too because you have no idea if they will take an acronym.  You put Huac and take a chance they so no need the full name.

Yeah, I'm never quite sure when acronyms are allowed. I got the answer right but wasn't even aware that HUAC was a common acronym. 

19 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

"Blessed are the cheesemakers" line from Life of Brian.

"Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

• LOL 3

Ugh! Don't like the new champ - just a bit of a smarmy vibe I'm getting.

One of my better games today. In the J round I ran "It Came from New Jersey", and got 4 in "Only Fans", "Australian Universities", "What Are You Made Of?" and "Starts with a "Z". TSs were Madison Square Garden, Antarctica, balsa wood and Johnson & Johnson.

Did almost as well in DJ. Didn't run anything, but got 4 in "Country, Please", "War Films", "Banking "A" "B" "C"s" and "2001". TSs/missed DDs were Switzerland (I guess they don't watch Rick Steves' Europe on PBS), amortize (DD), Indonesia and Skylab.

No clue on FJ, although it made sense after the reveal. 0 for 2 in FJ so far this week. 😢

And we didn't have an etymology category, but we did have "Word Origins". 😀

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

For a show that routinely does tournaments where they give away hundreds of thousands of dollars, Jeopardy is sometimes surprisingly penny-pinching about the little stuff.

Yes, as are all game shows, apparently. There’s a reason game shows are among the cheapest shows to produce, and why the networks/syndicators like them so much.

I get that the contestants know the rules going in, but you can’t convince me the show doesn’t have room in its budget to treat the show’s stars (as Alex always emphasized) a little better. It’s been $1000/$2000 consolation prizes for as long as I can remember, but airfare and lodging costs keep rising. Seems like it’s time for a raise.

Re. “Cheesemonger”: OK, I concede. It’s a real title. I still think it sounds goofy.

• Like 8

Not a great game for me.  My only ts's were balsa, Antarctica, and Switzerland.

Did not get FJ.  I said Darwin - I was about 40 years off as well as being just plain wrong.

Kipling again.  Last week his book, Kim, was an answer so I bought it for my Kindle (65C cents) but haven't read it yet. Maybe if I had I would have gotten FJ.

I think Chris is okay.  He spent so long in the hole it was surprising to see him win. Donna just sort of faded out there.

• Like 5
(edited)

June 27:

77% / 67% / 72%

Started out well again…ran Some Thoughts on the Book, missed one each in Australian Universities, What Are You Made Of, and Starts with Z, and two each in Only Fans and New Jersey (shame on me…also said Rutgers and just blanked on Jersey Boys).

Not as good in the second round (though better than yesterday, IIRC)… missed one each in Country, Banking, and Word Origins, two in 2001 and A Space Odyssey, and three in War Films.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes were The Sound and the Fury, Johnson & Johnson (I don't live far away from there and my old boss went to work for them when he left us), Antarctica, Switzerland, Neptune, and Skylab.

Nice come from behind for Chris. I have no strong feelings one way or the other (I also missed his story because I was putting groceries away during the commercial).

Any My 600 Pound Lifers here? Shoutout to the Nicole and her Juggalo gang. 😉

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

I got FJ.

I got the mixed clues of the Sound and the Fury, Johnson & Johnson,  Anttarctica, Switzerland, amortize and Neptune.

I got the entire categories of New Jersey, Z Australian Universities and banking right and there were 3 other categories i only missed one.  I wasn't execting to get any war movies as that is probably my least favorite genre, but i got 3 and have actually seen Saving private Ryan.

• Like 4

I was happy to see Chris win, his story about using his winning to help build a school in his brother's honor(his brother died last year of cancer) was very emotional.  He was having a rough time & in the red for a long time, so it was a come from behind victory.   I knew FJ...I tried to think of a book about animals & "Jungle Book" came to mind. 

• Like 9
  • Fire 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I like the new champ and am glad to see the current champ go.  The woman in the middle should get a job recording options for answering machines. 

Edited by bankerchick
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

Librarian Chic? Really?  I wonder if she looks like in her daily life, or was she going for the stereotype? I would have thought a librarian would know Kipling.

I'm glad she's gone. I like New Guy so far.

Yes, librarian chic is a fashion aesthetic.  It's a lot of cardigans, book themed prints, and vintage skirts, plus vintage inspired glasses.  

I'm a librarian and did not get Kipling because there are just too many books and authors to remember all of them especially with only a date of publication to go by.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

A category on Australian universities and it didn’t mention the University of Woolloomooloo?  Glad the (not chic) librarian and her vocal fry are gone.  Erin has a very soothing voice.  She could do ASMR videos.

• Like 3

I think the reason not to pay for flights and lodging is that you don't want people to apply to be on the show in order to get the "free vacation" and not show up for, or to not be serious about really, really, wanting to be competing on the show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
On 6/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I just read somewhere online that Ben is kvetching about Jeopardy not paying for their meals and hotel rooms while contestants are competing. Jeopardy says that wouldn't be fair to local contestants.  

I don't know about fairness for local contestants.  But the $1000 minimum for being on the show I would think covers most everyone's travel expenses. Maybe short on it by a bit but should cover the majority or almost all of it even for one day and coming in 3rd. 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Librarian Chic? Really?  I wonder if she looks like in her daily life, or was she going for the stereotype? I would have thought a librarian would know Kipling.

She really did follow the classic librarian stereotype 

She and mayim probably swapped fashion tips. 

Monday night the guys job was cheesemonger!  That's awesome. 

So glad the champ won tonight for his brother.  Looked like he was about to cry after he won

1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I was happy to see Chris win, his story about using his winning to help build a school in his brother's honor(his brother died last year of cancer) was very emotional.  He was having a rough time & in the red for a long time, so it was a come from behind victory.   I knew FJ...I tried to think of a book about animals & "Jungle Book" came to mind. 

I was think island of Dr moreau so pretty far off

• Like 3
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Yes, as are all game shows, apparently. There’s a reason game shows are among the cheapest shows to produce, and why the networks/syndicators like them so much.

I get that the contestants know the rules going in, but you can’t convince me the show doesn’t have room in its budget to treat the show’s stars (as Alex always emphasized) a little better. It’s been $1000/$2000 consolation prizes for as long as I can remember, but airfare and lodging costs keep rising. Seems like it’s time for a raise.

Re. “Cheesemonger”: OK, I concede. It’s a real title. I still think it sounds goofy.

My earlier comments notwithstanding, I've thought for a long time it's beyond due for them to up the prizes.  Not just the daily ones. $100k for a tournament winner is not a lot. $250k even for TOC is not huge anymore. 

They could easily do 

$250k for routine tourney winners

$500k for TOC

$5000 second place and $2500 3rd place daily shows. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My earlier comments notwithstanding, I've thought for a long time it's beyond due for them to up the prizes.  Not just the daily ones. $100k for a tournament winner is not a lot. $250k even for TOC is not huge anymore. 

They could easily do 

$250k for routine tourney winners

$500k for TOC

$5000 second place and $2500 3rd place daily shows. 

If contestants are responsible for their travel expenses Jeopardy needs to raise the prizes for second and third place. I live in Massachusetts 1000 or 2000 wouldn't cover the cost of my flight and hotel. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

If contestants are responsible for their travel expenses Jeopardy needs to raise the prizes for second and third place. I live in Massachusetts 1000 or 2000 wouldn't cover the cost of my flight and hotel. 

I feel like it's not much of a consolation prize if all you get is not being out of pocket on your travel expenses (and what is 1K and 2K after taxes?).

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

She struck me as a bit of a poser, and the Librarian Chic comment just confirmed it. She also combined my most hated vocal tics, vocal fry and sentences that end with a lazy, drawn out word. I was quite sure she’d know FJ, and was happy to be wrong.

I was rooting for Chris because of his story. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s easy on the eyes. (And good on him for crossing out the first name of Kipling— if you’re not sure of the spelling, no point in guessing.)

Today was a strange day for me. The high dollar clues tended to be easier than the low dollar clues, pretty much across the board, and I did great in the war movies category even though I never watch war movies. FJ was an instaguess. At least I escape the donut table this week.

16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I feel like it's not much of a consolation prize if all you get is not being out of pocket on your travel expenses (and what is 1K and 2K after taxes?).

37% federal tax on game show winnings, plus state taxes if you live in a taxing state. So, about $500 and $1K?

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I didn't keep track of my performance, as I was watching in bed with a sick cat, so my takeaway from this game is:  WTF was Donna wearing?  Lovely color, and if not for the bow I wouldn't like it but wouldn't remark on it, but that thing made it atrocious.

I did pretty well in the first round.  I know I missed a couple of books and had absolutely no idea for the last fans clue, but I think I got everything else.

In DJ, I know I got all but one (the John Wayne one) in war films, because that was a surprise as it is very much not my genre -- nor are John Wayne films, so no wonder that was a miss.  I didn't run anything, but I think I just missed one or two in all the rest.

FJ was an instaguess, sort of -- The Jungle Book was an instaguess, and then it only took a couple of beats to remember who wrote that.  I've never read it, but it seemed like a good guess especially since I didn't have another one.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I didn't keep track of my performance, as I was watching in bed with a sick cat, so my takeaway from this game is:  WTF was Donna wearing?  Lovely color, and if not for the bow I wouldn't like it but wouldn't remark on it, but that thing made it atrocious.

I did pretty well in the first round.  I know I missed a couple of books and had absolutely no idea for the last fans clue, but I think I got everything else.

In DJ, I know I got all but one (the John Wayne one) in war films, because that was a surprise as it is very much not my genre -- nor are John Wayne films, so no wonder that was a miss.  I didn't run anything, but I think I just missed one or two in all the rest.

FJ was an instaguess, sort of -- The Jungle Book was an instaguess, and then it only took a couple of beats to remember who wrote that.  I've never read it, but it seemed like a good guess especially since I didn't have another one.

I hope your kitty is tip-top again, soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My friend was a contestant back in 1990.  I went along with her and her mother.  The show did not pay for any expenses; we paid our own way from New York.  In those days, the non-winners got prizes, not money.  IIRC, she got a wall unit and candy.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

And, of course, the retail value of a wall unit and candy is so overpriced, you pay WAY more taxes on it. At least with money, you can use some of it to pay the taxes. Nothing you can do with a wall unit.

Bastet, I hope your cat's doing better.  My Stella is a brand new cat since she's been getting Solensia shots for her arthritis!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And, of course, the retail value of a wall unit and candy is so overpriced, you pay WAY more taxes on it. At least with money, you can use some of it to pay the taxes. Nothing you can do with a wall unit.

Bastet, I hope your cat's doing better.  My Stella is a brand new cat since she's been getting Solensia shots for her arthritis!

@Prevailing Wind, Solensia is a miracle drug.  My Ursala now runs and plays.

Back to Jeopardy!  I ran War Films.  My favorite war film was a DD.  The Longest Day

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

37% federal tax on game show winnings, plus state taxes if you live in a taxing state. So, about $500 and $1K?

There is no special tax on game show winnings in the US; they are treated as ordinary income. 37% is the highest federal tax rate, but you must have taxable income of $539,901 or more to be in that tax bracket.

Unless you win really big, or you have a very high income anyway, you're probably not going to paying 37% taxes. Winning a large amount may bump you into a higher tax bracket than usual, however, meaning that your overall taxes may be higher than in most years. And you do have to account for state taxes, plus California state taxes, no matter which state you live in.

Consult a tax professional. 😀

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I know I got all but one (the John Wayne one) in war films, because that was a surprise as it is very much not my genre -- nor are John Wayne films, so no wonder that was a miss.

I knew what movie they wanted, but it's a little weird of them to call The Longest Day a John Wayne film. It's a sprawling epic retelling of the D-Day invasion, filled with various movie stars. There really is no main "star," and Wayne's role is actually fairly minor. He was, I suppose, the biggest name in the cast. He was also literally twice the age of the guy he was playing. He was 54, playing a real-life paratrooper who had been 27 at the time of the D-Day landings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 7
45 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I knew what movie they wanted, but it's a little weird of them to call The Longest Day a John Wayne film. It's a sprawling epic retelling of the D-Day invasion, filled with various movie stars. There really is no main "star," and Wayne's role is actually fairly minor.

Nevertheless, his is the -only- name outside of all the others who are in alphabetical order.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I knew what movie they wanted, but it's a little weird of them to call The Longest Day a John Wayne film. It's a sprawling epic retelling of the D-Day invasion, filled with various movie stars.

I didn't know what they wanted and got hung up on the 3 hours. I don't think I ever would have made the leap to The *Longest* Day for a movie about the same length as a Lord of the Rings movie.

I liked Donna perfectly well but was rooting for Erin. Oh well.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Nevertheless, his is the -only- name outside of all the others who are in alphabetical order.

True. He got an "and" credit at the end. You almost don't realize he wasn't in alphabetical order, since "Wayne" comes so near the end of the alphabet anyway.

He also got paid ten times more than anyone else in picture. They must have figured his star power was worth it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

An okay game for me last night.  I ran Australian Universitys, Made Of, Country and War Films.  Got all but 1 clue in Book, Only Fans, New Jersey, Word Origins and Space Odyssey.  Got 7 stumpers: Madison Square Garden, Antarctica, balsa, Johnson & Johnson, Switzerland, Neptune, Skylab and Eris.

FJ was an instaget.  I love The Jungle Book (cartoon, live action film and original book itself), and while I slightly misread the clue (somehow didn't get that it was just spiders being named after characters, thought other animals were involved), "a wolf, a panther & a snake" in 19th century literature always equals The Jungle Book.  Which meant FJ had to be Kipling.  And as a result of that clue, I spent a not-inconsiderable amount of time trying to remember all the animals' names in Rikki Tikki Tavi.  Poor Mrs. Darzee, she didn't get her own name.  Of course neither did the adult humans, so . . . 

If I had paid more attention to the woman's name in the clue about the first female leader in the 2001 category, I would've realized it was Indonesia.  I've seen The Year of Living Dangerously enough times to have recognized the last name Sukarno, but I missed the name in the clue.

And again there were lots of stumpers: 13, 14 if you count Erin's missed DD.  (I count missed DDs but other people might not.)  But at least the way too precious Donna and her squeaky little girl's voice are gone, and on a literature clue, too.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Unless you win really big, or you have a very high income anyway, you're probably not going to paying 37% taxes.

Thanks, I misread. So I guess only the Matts and Amys lose half their money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, chicagofan said:

TSs/missed DDs were Switzerland (I guess they don't watch Rick Steves' Europe on PBS)

I knew it from reading about mountain climbing.  The Eiger is pretty famous in that context.

16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I remember the days when it was a "lifetime supply" of Rice-a-Roni, so any money is fine.  (Fortunately that changed long before I was a contestant, although I do like Rice-a-Roni, lol.)  The ones I feel sorry for are the contestants who win a game with less than the amount of second/third place consolation prizes and then lose the next game.  They're winners but don't really get much more than bragging rights.  Which actually is more important to me anyway.

16 hours ago, Trey said:

Kipling again.  Last week his book, Kim, was an answer so I bought it for my Kindle (65C cents) but haven't read it yet. Maybe if I had I would have gotten FJ.

Kipling's always a safe bet answer for literature from that period if the author is an Englishman.  Right up there with Dickens.

5 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Thanks, I misread. So I guess only the Matts and Amys lose half their money.

Yeah, I think I owed California $16 from my prize check.  The Maryland and Federal taxes were negligible since it was just a tiny portion of my yearly earnings.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Nice come from behind for Chris. I have no strong feelings one way or the other (I also missed his story because I was putting groceries away during the commercial).

He seems okay to me.  I thought he was kind of attractive but not so cute that I'll be devastated when he loses.

15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yes, librarian chic is a fashion aesthetic.  It's a lot of cardigans, book themed prints, and vintage skirts, plus vintage inspired glasses.  

Which no librarian I personally know would ever wear.  My best friend was a librarian for decades and wouldn't be caught dead wearing librarian chic.  (She's the one who called Donna "too precious".)  But hey, different people like different fashion.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I know I got all but one (the John Wayne one) in war films, because that was a surprise as it is very much not my genre -- nor are John Wayne films, so no wonder that was a miss.

I grew up with a mother who adores John Wayne and a father who loved WWII movies so if I'd missed that one, it would've been a sure sign of a brain tumor.

1 hour ago, NoReally said:

I'm not going to miss librarian Judy Greer.

That is the perfect description!

• Like 7
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

She struck me as a bit of a poser, and the Librarian Chic comment just confirmed it. She also combined my most hated vocal tics, vocal fry and sentences that end with a lazy, drawn out word. I was quite sure she’d know FJ, and was happy to be wrong.

I was rooting for Chris because of his story. It also doesn’t hurt that he’s easy on the eyes. (And good on him for crossing out the first name of Kipling— if you’re not sure of the spelling, no point in guessing.)

Today was a strange day for me. The high dollar clues tended to be easier than the low dollar clues, pretty much across the board, and I did great in the war movies category even though I never watch war movies. FJ was an instaguess. At least I escape the donut table this week.

California takes a cut of the winnings even if you don’t live there. If you make money there they tax it.

I remember reading somewhere that the city where taping happens takes a cut too, but I don’t know if this is a fact. 
So basically if you finish third and don’t live within driving distance of the studio you pay to be on Jeopardy!.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
13 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

California takes a cut of the winnings even if you don’t live there. If you make money there they tax it.

I remember reading somewhere that the city where taping happens takes a cut too, but I don’t know if this is a fact. 
So basically if you finish third and don’t live within driving distance of the studio you pay to be on Jeopardy!.

When I did my 2008 taxes, I had to file an out-of-state return in California for my $1000.  Did not have to do anything for the city, although they might have gotten a share of the $16 check I had to mail to CA.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

How cute. So basically, you (the 3rd place contestant & nonlocal) pay to be TV entertainment. Plane fare, hotel, meals and taxes. Well, ya do get to say/sing, 🎶 I was/lost on Jeopardy🎶

• Like 1
(edited)

Archive game for me for last night, but FJ was an instaget.

I also got the TS of Antarctica, Johnson & Johnson, Switzerland, amortize, and Skylab.

I do have the ep recorded (I hope!), so I'll have to check out the new champ.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Applause 1

I did pretty well in WAR FILMS, including correctly blurting out The Longest Day.
I'm pretty sure that was the war film I saw at a matinee in a theater as a middle-school-age kid, rationing out my Good & Plenty and Chuckles candies for a very long time, after which I left under the impression that soldiers had to stay awake for however many years a war lasted.
I like to think the directors et al. would be happy with my take-away as a young viewer. 

My TSs were Balsa and Switzerland.
I also knew the DD of Amortized.

I failed to get Tuesday's FJ.
My pre-guesses were all adult fiction (e.g. George Elliot) but then the clue reveal made me frantically pivot to non-fiction (Darwin and Thoreau). 
But I now see that the category was actually a big part of the clue, with 19th CENTURY LITERATURE trying to tell us that it was certainly not limited to non-fiction.
Although I still considered Dickens, I did not get around to considering Children's Lit., and ultimately got Darwin and Thoreau stuck in my mind. 

But I like the idea of these spiders being named after characters in a beloved children's book. However, I cannot figure out the source(s) used by the Jeopardy! writers to construct this clue — even as a retired academic and school librarian.🤷🏻‍♀️

On 6/26/2023 at 11:53 PM, 30 Helens said:

Honestly, I kept waiting for her to remove the glasses, shake her hair free, and reveal the pent-up beauty beneath. Clearly, I’ve seen too many movies.

As a retired librarian who fell into the profession for equally prosaic reasons, I f'love this comment. And since she's been a librarian for 12 years now, I have to assume she came by her style naturally. 

18 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Ugh! Don't like the new champ - just a bit of a smarmy vibe I'm getting.

Really? But doesn't he fix cleft palates and such? And his brother died of cancer? IDK. Maybe my mensch-o-meter was off-kilter. Stay tuned.

• Love 1

I assumed, again, that a book with animals was Dr Doolittle. Clearly I need to reread it, but apparently it's extremely racist and I don't know if I want to subject myself to that. I remember seeking as many of the books in the series as I could when I was very young, and vaguely that it was also a movie, but that's literally all I remember, other than that he had a "push me pull you" beast with two heads (?). 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If I had paid more attention to the woman's name in the clue about the first female leader in the 2001 category, I would've realized it was Indonesia.  I've seen The Year of Living Dangerously enough times to have recognized the last name Sukarno, but I missed the name in the clue.

Exactly. I got it because Sukarno = Indonesia.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I assumed, again, that a book with animals was Dr Doolittle. Clearly I need to reread it, but apparently it's extremely racist and I don't know if I want to subject myself to that. I remember seeking as many of the books in the series as I could when I was very young, and vaguely that it was also a movie, but that's literally all I remember, other than that he had a "push me pull you" beast with two heads (?). 

And a parrot named Polynesia, Gub-Gub the pig, and Jip the dog. Yes, the Doolittle books were racist, but so was the Kipling stuff.  I wonder what we do now that we think is OK that future generations will be appalled by.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Really? But doesn't he fix cleft palates and such? And his brother died of cancer? IDK. Maybe my mensch-o-meter was off-kilter. Stay tuned.

I didn't hear Chris' story, but while it's admirable there was just something that bugged me yesterday.  Maybe it's the unhealthy air here from the Canadian wildfires making me cranky (worst air quality in the world the last two days). Didn't really notice him much today though.

Meh kinda game today - did about the same in both the J and DJ rounds. In the J round I ran "Policy" and got 4 in "Get Koala-fied" and "The Name of the Dame", but that was offset by 0 in "Google Easter Eggs" and only 1 in "Open Door". TSs were Queensland and Emma Thompson (whose name I sometimes can't pull out of the recesses of my brain - you know Kenneth Branagh's ex-wife).

Only one good category in DJ - I got 4 in "Constantinople" (not Istanbul). TSs/missed DDs were Bay of Biscay, Edward Albee, chariot racing (DD), burglary and Murmansk. I was surprised that they only left one clue unrevealed since there were still so many left when Mayim gave the one minute warning.

When I saw FJ my initial thought was "I have absolutely no clue". Then I focused on the life saving measure part of the clue and it was a belated instaget. So no more FJ goose egg this week.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

I had hoped Chris would win more but it wasn't to be.

Bryan seems okay but I draw the line at pictures of his hairy chest.

My ts's or missed DDs were Emma Thompson, Bay of Biscay and chariot racing.

FJ was an instaget, lucky for me because medical questions aren't in my wheelhouse.

• Like 4

June 28:

80% / 66% / 73%

Good first round…ran Google Easter Eggs (I assume I'm not the only one who googled them all during the commercial…), missed one in Get Koala-fied, Name of the Dame, Pledge of Allegiance Words, and Open Door, and two in Policy.

Not so good in DJ…ran Prefixes (the four they got to), missed one in Animated Movie Characters (never even heard of that last one), two in Plays & Playwrights, Constantinople, and Random Access Memories, and three in Geography "B".

FJ was an instaget.

TSes were stands (got there at the last second), Noah's Ark (DD), 42 (really?! No one?!?!), Emma Thompson, chariot racing (DD), and burglary.

I went in rooting for the returning champ but as the game went on I found myself rooting for Bryan, so yay.

• Like 5

I had no idea on final, zippo, zilch, zero, nada.  Not even a stupid guess.

I got the missed cues of stands, something I can't read, 42, Emma thompson, chariot racing, and burglary.

I got the entire categories of pledge and policy right.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Trey said:

I had hoped Chris would win more but it wasn't to be.

Bryan seems okay but I draw the line at pictures of his hairy chest.

I thought it was funny that he won a hairy chest contest when you consider the amount of hair on his head.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 11