Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Well, at least they didn't call it "Women Authors".

50 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Almost broke the spoiler rule when I saw FJ was Female Authors for once, especially after recent (and ongoing) discussion.

Hah! Right?!??!!! @Bastet and most of us may be incognito online, but that doesn't mean we're not being heard!👂

1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

FJ was an instaget. I've never read anything by Willa Cather, but this was just one of those cultural osmosis things. So 4 for 5 FJs this week - I'm so proud. 😜

Willa Cather was one of my pre-guesses for the FJ category!
I did read a couple of her books in junior high/middle school, but I can't recall which, so I think I mostly still know her from "cultural osmosis." 
Anyway, I considered a few other female authors who were timeframe adjacent, but Willa Cather was the only one I could recall who fit the clue.
So. Yay!

I did get the TS of Ling Ling, but was wrong in saying "Belteshazzar" instead of "Belshazzar" for the $2K QUI"ZZ"ES category clue, because, as Wikipedia explains:
"Belteshazzar" redirects here. Not to be confused with Belshazzar" (wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_(biblical_figure)).
Right? Reading that just confused me again.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I had no idea on fj.  All I could think was Laura Ingalls wilder or 'whoever wrote Anne if green gables'

So your second thought was the same as Ron's response L(ucy) M(aud) Montgomery.

I was able to rule out Laura Ingalls Wilder since I knew that her books were about her family. And since I immediately focused on My Antonia and Willa Cather, I didn't think of the Anne of Green Gables series which I've read.

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

FJ! was an instaget.  Moving west, late 19th century, pioneer.

Yes, she seems to be a J! favorite. Female author + West = Willa Cather. I was surprised only one of the three got it right.

• Like 4

LOL at "Female Authors".  Halfway there, J! writers, halfway there.

I got a chuckle out of there being an etymology category so shortly after I said I was surprised etymology was a TS given how often that's a category.

I'm usually disappointed by answers of "50 Cent" that pronounce the middle FT, but I'll allow it this time since the other guy presumably didn't call himself Fiddy. 🙂

The Preamble as a TS?!  Three people qualified to appear on J! don't know where "We the people ..." comes from?

If not for the category about English monarchs, I'd have come within one (Life of Pi) of running the entire first round. But, the upside is I did better knowing/guessing who reigned when than I usually do, only missing two, so I still had a great first round. 

In DJ, I missed three in musical acts.  I love "Maps" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but know nothing else about them, so I missed that DD.  I saw White Noise several months ago, so should have figured that one out, but I thought the movie was terrible so I guess I shoved it way back into a far corner of my brain.  I had no idea for the Bastille clue; the date didn't do anything for me, and I've never heard of the song or the singer.

Other than that, I did very well in that round.  I missed two in "ZZ", but ran African-American Firsts and Broadway and got all but one in geography and chemistry (that should have been another category I ran, as I knew Mohs, but I couldn't get it from my brain to my mouth). 

After four instaget FJs in a row, I predicted I wouldn't even have a guess for this one, but it was instead another instaget (well, instaguess I figured was right after additional thought).  I don't think I've ever before had an entire week of those.  Getting all five FJs, yes, but not all as instagets.  Good for me, as Alex would have said.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

LOL at "Female Authors".  Halfway there, J! writers, halfway there.

I got a chuckle out of there being an etymology category so shortly after I said I was surprised etymology was a TS given how often that's a category.

I'm usually disappointed by answers of "50 Cent" that pronounce the middle FT, but I'll allow it this time since the other guy presumably didn't call himself Fiddy. 🙂

The Preamble as a TS?!  Three people qualified to appear on J! don't know where "We the people ..." comes from?

If not for the category about English monarchs, I'd have come within one (Life of Pi) of running the entire first round. But, the upside is I did better knowing/guessing who reigned when than I usually do, only missing two, so I still had a great first round. 

In DJ, I missed three in musical acts.  I love "Maps" by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but know nothing else about them, so I missed that DD.  I saw White Noise several months ago, so should have figured that one out, but I thought the movie was terrible so I guess I shoved it way back into a far corner of my brain.  I had no idea for the Bastille clue; the date didn't do anything for me, and I've never heard of the song or the singer.

Other than that, I did very well in that round.  I missed two in "ZZ", but ran African-American Firsts and Broadway and got all but one in geography and chemistry (that should have been another category I ran, as I knew Mohs, but I couldn't get it from my brain to my mouth). 

After four instaget FJs in a row, I predicted I wouldn't even have a guess for this one, but it was instead another instaget (well, instaguess I figured was right after additional thought).  I don't think I've ever before had an entire week of those.  Getting all five FJs, yes, but not all as instagets.  Good for me, as Alex would have said.

Ron was from Canada so Schoolhouse Rock wouldn't matter to him. Ben and Donna may be to young to remember. The Jeopardy round was my dream board. I ran Baseball Child of the 70's Schoolhouse Rock and Who was King When? I knew Final Jeopardy instantly.

3 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Ron was from Canada so Schoolhouse Rock wouldn't matter to him. Ben and Donna may be to young to remember.

It wasn't about not knowing something from Schoolhouse Rock, it was about not recognizing "We the people" as those big words opening the preamble to the Constitution.  Anyone studying for J! should have known that, wherever they're from, and the Americans shouldn't have needed much studying.  For all three to either not know or have a brain fart was surprising. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It wasn't about not knowing something from Schoolhouse Rock, it was about not recognizing "We the people" as those big words opening the preamble to the Constitution.  Anyone studying for J! should have known that, wherever they're from, and the Americans shouldn't have needed much studying.  For all three to either not know or have a brain fart was surprising. 

I recognized it as being the preamble to the Constitution, but not having seen Schoolhouse Rock, I assumed the correct response must be, I don’t know, different?

But I am probably the worst Jeopardy! (or any game) player on this board, so that factor is probably more pertinent to the TS status of that clue, heh.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
Just now, shapeshifter said:

But I am probably the worst Jeopardy! (or any game) player on this board, so that factor is probably more pertinent to the TS status of that clue, heh.

I doubt you're worse than I am. I watch this show the way flabby middle aged or elder sports fans watch their favorite leagues from the couch. Just because you like it, doesn't man you can play. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

For FJ l first said Willa Cather. Then I said, no, the woman who wrote Anne Of Green Gables . But since I couldn’t think of who wrote that, I just stuck with Cather.

Edited by opus
  • Like 5
  • LOL 2

I've never seen Schoolhouse Rock other than snippets here and there (it was "after my time" as I was finishing high school, going to college and entering the workforce during its run). But just from the clues I was able to get 4 out of 5 right in the category. The one I missed was the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States. I had a brain fart and blurted out the Declaration of Independence - and promptly did a head slap when the correct response was revealed. 😊

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

You’re so right about those BIG WORDS.  My kids could recite it by the time they were in, oh I don’t know, 2nd grade, maybe.  I didn’t drill them on it,  I just sang it in the style of Schoolhouse Rock around the house (with one mistake cleared). 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I may have the Preamble burned into my brain after a decades-ago chaperoning gig on a 5th grade field trip, where they had recently had to memorize it, and found it a great way to entertain themselves on the bus. (Not complaining. Could have been a lot worse.)

Yes, it could have been worse - I remember a school field trip where we rode from New Orleans to Baton Rouge singing "100 bottles of beer on the wall".  I'm sure the driver and the chaperones were sick of that song, and the Preamble would have been more educational.  We had to memorize the Preamble in school, and the first few words give it away.  Can't believe a librarian missed that.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

FJ! was an instaget.  Moving west, late 19th century, pioneer.

I went a different way, that kind of follows the same thought process (though west in the book isn't what's considered west today) I said Brink, for Caddie Woodlawn.

13 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I was able to rule out Laura Ingalls Wilder since I knew that her books were about her family.

I thought of her first, then ruled her out, because so far as I remember, none of her titles had a character's name in them.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I doubt you're worse than I am. I watch this show the way flabby middle aged or elder sports fans watch their favorite leagues from the couch. Just because you like it, doesn't man you can play. 

This is brilliant!

I did pretty well, despite missing FJ. Ran 70's (well, that's my era, you know, being a flabby elder Jeopardy fan watching from my couch).

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I started rooting for Donna when she knew all the Broadway questions! (I saw all five of those productions.) I had no clue for FJ, I also thought “I dunno, Laura Ingalls Wilder or whoever wrote Anne of Green Gables.” Never would have come up with Willa Cather.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I had no idea on fj.  All I could think was Laura Ingalls wilder or 'whoever wrote Anne if green gables'

58 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I had no clue for FJ, I also thought “I dunno, Laura Ingalls Wilder or whoever wrote Anne of Green Gables.” Never would have come up with Willa Cather.

DrSpaceman73 meet Cotypubby - Cotypubby meet DrSpaceman73. 😛

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I started rooting for Donna when she knew all the Broadway questions! (I saw all five of those productions.) I had no clue for FJ, I also thought “I dunno, Laura Ingalls Wilder or whoever wrote Anne of Green Gables.” Never would have come up with Willa Cather.

Jinx!  You owe me a coke

• LOL 5
14 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Ron was from Canada so Schoolhouse Rock wouldn't matter to him.

I assume Ron is younger than I am so age might be an excuse but we saw all the Schoolhouse Rock here in Toronto in the 70s from the Buffalo NY channels. 

I didn't think of My Antonia and wasted time trying to think of the name of the author of Pollyanna which was the only book I could think of with an Ann-ish name in the title. (Other than Anne of Green Gables, but I knew Annie Pavelka was wrong for that.)

I was cheering for Donna or Ron so it was great to see everyone in contention for FJ and I am pleased for Donna.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, possibilities said:

Amazon Prime Reading has My Antonia as a freebie this month, so I am finally going to patch the Willa Cather hole in my Female Authors knowledge-base. 

Thanks. I have a lot of books on kindle right now, so I don't know if I'll manage it before my free month expires (I game all the subscriptions I can). But I will try. Seems like something I should have read in college.

• Like 2

Been on vacation for the last week and am not going to try and catch up on all the comments I've missed, but I do have to say I'd have fought for "Pacific and Southern Oceans" for the Tasmania FJ.  There is no one correct answer for that one, although clearly "Pacific and Atlantic Oceans" was wrong as hell.

• Like 3
On 6/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

I'm June,  which is pearl, but also alexandrite,  which I prefer.

Me, too.  Although quality synthetic alexandrites tend to change color on me, like a mood ring where my mood is always "sludgy brown".  Genuine alexandrites are hella expensive, so with them my mood would be "broke".

On 6/18/2023 at 12:55 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I understand the rules but still kind of bs to accept HUAC as an answer but turn down house un-American activities commission.  

To me, that's perfectly fine because the committee has been commonly called "HUAC" for decades but its name was never the House Un-American Activities Commission.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, Grizzly said:

No one so far has said they got the ts of King Lear. I thought that was the easiest one in the category (since it was the only one I knew).

I got it.  I ran that category.

• Like 1
On 6/20/2023 at 12:44 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The episulode was lost for me due to bad weather. 

Sounds like I didn't miss much. 

Well, you did miss the opportunity to be smarter than all three contestants.  Because, based on your postings here, you definitely would've done better than they did.

On 6/20/2023 at 10:33 PM, Bastet said:

the only Equalizers I've heard of are the British guy

😭

(Edward Woodward owned that role, damn it.)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
On 6/21/2023 at 12:02 PM, Clanstarling said:

Never have I ever cheered as a contestant got deeper in the hole. (Takes a drink). I also try hard to be charitable, and I should feel bad, and I do, but only a smidge. I wish I felt worse about it. But boy, he just tweaked all my kneejerk responses to certain types of people. Plus he was rude (responding w/o waiting to be called)

I hated him from the moment Johnny said he was in cryptocurrency.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, shapeshifter said:

Can any of the people here who have been on Jeopardy! explain what prevents players from blurting out answers too early? Is it just that they are told to wait until called upon? If so, is there some other signal that occurs before they are called upon? I mean, is there anything that could have been wrong with his signaling device or...?

Nope, just that we're told not to answer until Alex acknowledged us as having rung in first.  (Yes, I was fortunate to be on the show before Alex died. 😪)  If you try to ring in too soon, your buzzer is locked out but once you do ring in, it's on you to wait for the host to acknowledge you.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 6/22/2023 at 2:10 PM, Shrek said:

I think most people missed it, I know I hadn't heard of it before today. 

I only know about it because I've been dreamingly creating a trip/move to Adelaide, which is on the Southern Ocean according to Australians, since covid started.  The trip might happen one day but the move is unlikely unless I hit the Power Ball.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:14 PM, possibilities said:

What We Do In The Shadows is a hilarious show, and I don't even like vampires.

I loved the movie, but found the show kinda too much.  Like it wasn't enough of an idea to sustain that long.  Still entertaining in parts, though.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:38 PM, chicagofan said:

High School Reunion Tournament champ Justin Bolsen has also qualified for the TOC. Also Ike Barinholtz who won Celebrity Jeopardy.

Yet another example of how they're determined to dumb-down the TOC.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:05 PM, chicagofan said:

and "I Learned It on Schoolhouse Rock".

I loved the Schoolhouse Rock category and ran it.  Then sang the preamble to the Constitution to my mother, because that is the only way I can do it.  Even if I try to just say it, I end up singing due to the rhythm of it.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:39 PM, dgpolo said:

also Alaska's statehood does not equal Victoria.

I couldn't remember when Alaska became a state despite there being a Happy Days episode about it and Hawaii joining the Union.  I think I said George V.  Oy.

I laughed when I saw the FJ category, thinking of everyone here.  It was an instaget for me.  Prairie and female author means one of two people: Laura Ingalls Wilder or Willa Cather and I knew the former would've been a teenager in 1883 so it had to be Cather.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, Bastet said:

He could've said "Mr. Fifty Cent Piece" like Miranda Hart in Spy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I loved the Schoolhouse Rock category and ran it.  Then sang the preamble to the Constitution to my mother, because that is the only way I can do it.  Even if I try to just say it, I end up singing due to the rhythm of it.

I know the states in alphabetical order through the song "Fifty Nifty United States" - friends of mine sang it in junior high chorus and I learned it through osmosis.  I need to "sing" it too to get the rhythm.

• Like 3

When Merv Griffin had a daytime talk show, he went out in the audience & gave money to anyone who could recite the Star Spangled Banner without resorting to song.

I know the states & their capitals thanks to the Animaniacs. Most of us should get a kick out this...

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 6/25/2023 at 11:53 AM, Clanstarling said:

Thanks. I have a lot of books on kindle right now, so I don't know if I'll manage it before my free month expires (I game all the subscriptions I can). But I will try. Seems like something I should have read in college.

I don't know all the rules for how it works, but in the past, when I've downloaded a book, it's been on my computer permanently. I wouldn't be able to read it by the end of the month (too busy this week!) so it might be that if you DL it now, you will have it later when your sub expires. 

• Useful 1

Not one of my better games - J round was o.k. but DJ not so much.

In the J round I ran "First Ladies' Rhyme Time" and "Here Comes the Summer" and got 4 in "U.K. Election Constituencies". No TSs. Didn't do so well in DJ but I had 2 TSs - smallpox and Pasteur. I should have gotten Rostenkowski since he was my congressman, but didn't - oh well.

No FJ today.

• Like 4
(edited)

June 26:

77% / 53% / 64%

Pretty good first round…ran three categories - First Ladies' Rhyme Time, Here Comes the Summer, and UK Election Constituencies; missed one in Lovely Rita and three in 7-Letter Words and Meter Made.

Pretty not-good second round…ran nothing, missed one in War of the Words and Crossword Clues P, two in Classical Music, three in Scientists and TV, and four in Names of the 1990s.

Did not get FJ.

TSes were Rita Ora (literally all I know about her is that she exists and is a pop singer, but given the category and the year, it made sense), Pasteur, and smallpox.

I was only half listening to the intros and I was like, "did he just say cheesemonger?" Don't hear that one too often. (Of course Mayim apparently finds it hilarious.)

Relatively few TSes tonight...only three in J! and five in DJ! plus one DD.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read somewhere online that Ben is kvetching about Jeopardy not paying for their meals and hotel rooms while contestants are competing. Jeopardy says that wouldn't be fair to local contestants.  

I saw that earlier. I guess the argument could be made in both directions...it's not 'fair' that people who live in driving distance don't have to spend money on hotels and plane tickets.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 6

I guessed FJ.

I got the missed clues of anemometer, John Major,  Louis pasteur, and smallpox.

I got the entire category of first ladies right.  

It took me 3 tries to get Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon out.  First I wanted the dragon to crouch then I wanted the tiger second, but I blurted it in the nick of time.

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I saw that earlier. I guess the argument could be made in both directions...it's not 'fair' that people who live in driving distance don't have to spend money on hotels and plane tickets.

Yeah, I don't really care if they comp people or not, it is a once in a lifetime experience that they want to do, but cloaking it in fairness sounds ridiculous.

• Like 6

An okay game for me.

However, I had only two ts's, Pasteur and smallpox.

The Hindenburg came to mind as soon as I saw the FJ category so I finally got an FJ.

Technically they should not have given Donna credit for her answer of "Hindenburg disaster" since they were asking for the name of the ship, not the event.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I even supplied the "Oh, the humanity!" line, although I always think of Les Nessman and the turkeys when I hear it.

I only got three TS, though -- anemometer, Pasteur, and smallpox.  I should have gotten Kepler, but I couldn't get his name from my brain to my mouth in time.  

I kind of wanted the cheesemonger to win. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I even supplied the "Oh, the humanity!" line, although I always think of Les Nessman and the turkeys when I hear it.

I only got three TS, though -- anemometer, Pasteur, and smallpox.  I should have gotten Kepler, but I couldn't get his name from my brain to my mouth in time.  

I kind of wanted the cheesemonger to win. 

I very much wanted the cheesemonger to win!!

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I even supplied the "Oh, the humanity!" line, although I always think of Les Nessman and the turkeys when I hear it.

For me, it's Newsman from Seinfeld.

I'll be on a phone call when the show airs, so I just checked the archive.

I'm trying to picture someone able to throw a shot put 250 feet, and it's not pretty.

I almost ran the first round, but I missed one each in words (I've never seen A Christmas Story [I finally tried last year and could not get into it], and never picked that up via cultural osmosis), Rita (Ora stumped me, too) and UK (I got hung up on Neeson as an acting Liam, and never got away from it, even though I knew there was no Chris).

In DJ, though, I only ran '90s and wars (and that one only thanks to some lucky guesses).  I got all but one (couldn't get pillory out of my brain) in crossword clues, but missed three each in TV and classical music and two in scientists.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but it came to me pretty quickly.

• Like 2

GALILEO?  In DENMARK???  (And I've never heard Brahe's first name pronounced Tee-ko. I've always heard Tie-ko.)

I knew anemometer because I had to make one out of ping-pong balls, a cork, and a Coke bottle in elementary school. My Dad helped.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Me, too. But I like the champ too, so I'm okay with it.

I'm a sucker for long beautiful hair on men, so that was my shallow reason to root for Ryan. Well, that and the "Blessed are the cheesemakers" line from Life of Brian. But I have no problem with Donna defending her title.

• Like 6
57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(I've never seen A Christmas Story [I finally tried last year and could not get into it]

I don't think I ever saw it as a kid, but about 20 years ago, my brother and I were both sick on Christmas, so we skipped the big family dinner and spent the day in my parents' living room (he had the couch, I had the loveseat), alternating between 24 Hours of A Christmas Story (on whatever channel runs that), a Trading Spaces marathon on TLC, and naps, while my parents made dinner for the four of us.

After that, I'd had just about enough of A Christmas Story.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Jeopardy says that wouldn't be fair to local contestants.  

That's transparent bullshit. They can give everyone a per diem, and the locals can pocket it, or they can pay for the traveling people's expenses. It's done all the time. Whether they should, or whether contestants should take it out of their winnings, is where the debate is. But there is no way that "it's not fair to locals" is a real reason.

• Like 12
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I always thought they paid for contestants' hotel stays.

I always thought they didn’t, which is where the $2000 and $1000 consolation amounts come in, and should cover any short stays.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I had a pretty good game today (ran the Ritas and First Ladies, almost ran Word Wars, P Words and TV ) but whiffed FJ. The wording confused me— because the flames were coming from the ground, I thought it had to be a building, or a field, or something on the ground. I actually thought, and rejected, Hindenburg because it was in the air. Never considered what happened after it fell to earth.

The contestants were a curious bunch today. I rolled my eyes at Caroline’s humble brag story about how her friends don’t want to play Jeopardy with her because she’s just too good at it. I smiled at Ryan’s Cheesemonger title. (OK, dude, you sell cheese. You like cheese. Good for you.) It was a bit much. But he was very sunny and smiley, and that’s hard to dislike. As for the champ, she presented as a total stereotype of a buttoned up librarian, from the sweater to the hairstyle to the oversized frames. Honestly, I kept waiting for her to remove the glasses, shake her hair free, and reveal the pent-up beauty beneath. Clearly, I’ve seen too many movies.

Since the show pays airfare for returning champs, I’m really surprised that they don’t give them a per diem for hotels and meals. They could still offer it to locals, who might relish the opportunity to hole up in a hotel, free of family distractions. (Or gift the room to friends and relatives, a la Elaine on Seinfeld, at their peril.)

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

"Cheesemonger" is a real job title, though. Ryan didn't make up the word, so I have no problem with his using it.

Jeopardy does have a couple of hotels contestants can stay at which offer a Jeopardy/Wheel of Fortune discount. It's not a big discount, maybe 10% or so, but it's there. And as mentioned, they will pay airfare for contestants who have to come back a second time. They even book the flights for you. Or at least they did back when I was on. But most contestants, who are only going to be there the one day, have to pay for their own flights.

There is a van that brings you to the studio in the morning. After you lose and you leave the studio to go back to the hotel, you're on your own. You have to call a cab or an Uber/Lyft, and pay your own way back.

For a show that routinely does tournaments where they give away hundreds of thousands of dollars, Jeopardy is sometimes surprisingly penny-pinching about the little stuff.

• Like 18
  • Useful 6
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The wording confused me— because the flames were coming from the ground, I thought it had to be a building, or a field, or something on the ground.

My mind went to a bridge or something.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just read somewhere online that Ben is kvetching about Jeopardy not paying for their meals and hotel rooms while contestants are competing. Jeopardy says that wouldn't be fair to local contestants.  

That's what the 2nd & 3rd place money is for.  Sure, it would've been nice if production had paid for airfare and lodging, but I knew the deal when I became a contestant.  And they did pay for lunch.

I had a so-so game last night.  Did not get FJ even though it made perfect sense in retrospect.  Only ran 1st Ladies, UK Election Constituencies and War of Words.  Got all but 1 clue in Summer, 7-Letter Words, Names of the 1990s, Classical Music and TV.  The only stumpers I got were tribute, John Major and Louis Pasteur.

I was rooting for Ryan.  Partly because Donna's voice is starting to annoy me a little, but mostly because I love the idea of him being a cheesemonger.  Oh well.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It'd be a problem if contestants didn't know the policy when they agreed to be on the show.  We all knew going in that Jeopardy only pays for flights IF you are the reigning champ and have to return to Los Angeles after going home for the weekend or longer.  Honestly it's unfair to some contestants either way, and well, life is often unfair.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

It took me 3 tries to get Crouching tiger, Hidden Dragon out.  First I wanted the dragon to crouch then I wanted the tiger second, but I blurted it in the nick of time.

I got the title correct but then complained that it lied because there were no dragons, hidden or otherwise.  No tigers, either, for that matter.

11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I always thought they paid for contestants' hotel stays. These contestants are part of the show, providing entertainment. IMO, Jeopardy comes off looking cheap.

No, they have never paid for hotels.  Neither does Wheel of Fortune.  From the brief googling, I couldn't find a single game show which paid for hotel or travel expenses for contestants.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

"Cheesemonger" is a real job title, though. Ryan didn't make up the word, so I have no problem with his using it.

Yep, it's a real thing and it's what he does.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

For a show that routinely does tournaments where they give away hundreds of thousands of dollars, Jeopardy is sometimes surprisingly penny-pinching about the little stuff.

I can see that, but I have yet to find a game show which pays for transportation or hotel expenses, so they're not alone in that.  I mean, no one has to appear on the show if the arrangements offend them.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 6/26/2023 at 9:04 AM, proserpina65 said:

I hated him from the moment Johnny said he was in cryptocurrency.

Which is one of my knee jerk triggers. It was one down at the very start.

22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't know all the rules for how it works, but in the past, when I've downloaded a book, it's been on my computer permanently. I wouldn't be able to read it by the end of the month (too busy this week!) so it might be that if you DL it now, you will have it later when your sub expires. 

Thanks, I'll do that. I think you may be right - I download books more regularly from my public library, so that's been my mindset.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was only half listening to the intros and I was like, "did he just say cheesemonger?" Don't hear that one too often. (Of course Mayim apparently finds it hilarious.)

To be fair, I thought it fairly amusing too. Also refreshing in some way.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I never get that out right. I think they're martial arts moves or something.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

We'd just watched a YouTube video about the conception and filming of that very episode, but even if we hadn't, that's what we would have thought of too.

It was an okay game. I ran First Ladies, and came close in a couple others, but got zippo in a couple of categories. At least I got FJ to start off the week.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4

I was rooting for Ryan.  Partly because Donna's voice is starting to annoy me a little, but mostly because I love the idea of him being a cheesemonger.  Oh well.

That's why I'm taking a break this week. She's workin' that vocal fry and I can't stand that noise.  

• Like 5

I like reading all of your insights and hearing you chat about the particulars of the show from when you were on. 
I came up with Rita Ora, anemometer, Pasteur, and smallpox. I’m really bummed about not getting the Hindenburg for personal reasons. 

• Like 3