Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E11: Family Vacation

• Start Topic

The chefs head to the Gulf of Mexico in Galveston, Texas; chef Shota Nakajima is here to present them with their next Quickfire Challenge, using the freshest gulf shellfish to create a seafood tower with one hot and one cold dish.

Original air date: May 12, 2022

• Love 2

Wow, Sarah left a long time ago, so she must have beat a whole bunch of people in LCK.  Just from the way she talked about her EC dish as she was deciding what to make, I thought she was in trouble – especially once she said she’d never cooked ahi before.  Then when she changed her plating, I knew that was going to be a problem.

But I also knew at the grill Ashleigh was making a big mistake with the squid.  I went back and forth during JT as to which one of them I thought they’d send packing.

I enjoyed Adrienne, Shota, and Sheldon on their seasons, so it was nice to see all of them again.

The cheftestants did an admirable job rolling with difficult kitchen conditions in both challenges.

For the QF, I initially heard Padma wrong, as I thought they were going to be creating one seafood tower together.  I wanted ALL those towers, but Evelyn’s the most, so I was happy she won.

I wanted her EC dish the most, too, but I figured Buddha was going to win.

I laughed when they put the “Judges’ Table” chyron on screen a second time when they moved inside.

This episode didn’t feel like it needed to be one of the ones with 15 extra minutes; there was a lot of filler, with them playing tourist and all the stuff with their family members.  But, on the flip side, it was nice to see them get to sit down and eat everyone’s food.  It would be pretty hard to just sit there and chat while the judges are discussing the food one table away.

• Love 15

I liked this episode with the loved ones. All the dishes looked good but I knew Ashleigh was a goner when Padma spit out the raw squid. It was weird how they showed Ashleigh packing up her knives to leave. I guess they made her go back to the Top Chef studio to film that. 
I liked how they were judging outside when a storm was brewing like nothing was happening and then they quickly went inside after Tom’s hat went flying. 

• Love 15
(edited)

Why did they wait so long to go inside when the wind and lightning started?  That was a dangerous.  They should have moved inside long before they did.   I know I sound like a jerk, but if you can see lightning, or hear thunder, then you need to go inside.   I've hear of people dying from lightning strikes from clouds up to 15 miles away. 

It was so touching to see the chefs see their loved ones, and Damarr and his mentor was so wonderful. 

I figured it was Ashleigh's time to go.   She had a good run.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 21

Adrienne Cheatham from, I think, Season 17.  The one that Joe Flamm won.  Adrienne was the runner-up.  IIRC, she worked for Eric Ripert at Le Bernardin.  As did Jae of this season.

I really liked DaMarr in this episode.  What were those green crumbs that he made?  His dish looked delicious.

Tough tentacles make me gag.  I also would have spit them out. Goodbye forever Ashleigh.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I liked this episode with the loved ones.

Except for the fact that Ashleigh's mom will probably blame herself for Ashleigh's leaving. And being sent packing while your loved one is right there.

4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Buddha’s pasta looked so yummmm and I was so glad Nick wasn’t voted off — two things I cheered for tonight.

Me too!

• Love 6

I really like Ashleigh, but you do have to go home for raw squid. To be fair, she recognized what she did and was gracious about it. These cheftestants do all appear to be very talented and gracious. Sarah's ahi didn't exactly look or sound great though.

• Love 17

By cooking his simple dish to perfection, Buddha succeeded where so many cheftesants have failed.  

Sarah should be the next to go, she just isn't at the same level as the other 4 chefs.  I would love to see all 4 go to the final.  Buddha and Evelyn seem to be the class of the field.  I would be so disappointed if they don't make it to the finals.  It would be tough to see Damarr or Nick go home but if I had to choose I would lean slightly towards Damarr 

• Love 11

They should have been bringing Shota back all of this time.  I'm very new to Top Chef, so I don't know the other fan favourite guy --- I really liked him and I know him from some other FN show I feel like.

I'm not really a fan of Sarah's (Is that her name) and I was rolling my eyes when she said her sister was charismatic but then she really was.  Her eyeballs tracing the camera watching her was hilarious.

Padma looked amazing again.  Great job, stylist.

I've never heard of Buddha's pasta but I'll definitely be looking it up.  I thought Nick's dish looked good!  LOL.

• Love 9

Finally, someone cooks the hell out of a simple dish and wins. No wonder Buddha was nervous—he’s studied TC so knew the risk. Does Bravo post winning recipes?

The families were sweet. Demarr and his boss make me want to see if Virtue has outdoor seating!

• Love 11

What a fun episode- it had everything! From tears of joy reuniting with family and friends to scary weather conditions and the near loss of Tom's hat!  

I loved seeing Shota again, as well as Sheldon and Adrienne.  I like having so many Top Chef alumni come back as judges these past few years.  

I was really surprised that Buddha won on that seemingly simple dish.  It must have been flawless.  The story behind it was sweet.

I'm continuing to love what Evelyn and Damarr are bringing to the table, literally and figuratively.  I'm glad I was able to split up my fan favorite votes.

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Demarr and his boss make me want to see if Virtue has outdoor seating!

Virtue does indeed have outdoor seating. The boss is also in the process of opening up a Cajun restaurant focused on po' boys, so when that debuts I'll want to check that out. It'll probably be more in my price range. 

I got worried when basically everyone had a sibling, parent or spouse show up and Damarr had his friend/boss/mentor. I was trying to figure out if he just wasn't close to anyone or had family drama. Because Damarr tries to put up a stoic front. Then the show let us know that his mom and aunt couldn't be there, and it got really dusty in my house for some reason.

I think/hope Sarah is Dead Woman Walking because I think Last Chance Kitchen should be abolished. In either case, it seems like it's Evelyn and Buddha for sure in the finals and then a question of whether Damarr beats Nick or vice versa.  

• Love 18
(edited)

I think it’s coming down to Damarr and Buddha, with Evelyn as third. All have had a few misses here and there. Buddha and Damarr seem to be the closest as friends—did you see Buddha proudly introduce his wife to Damarr? And they sat together, Buddha praised his dish, and they interact on Instagram frequently. I love it. Two very different and fantastic chefs. Buddha was adorable with his wife. I follow him on Instagram now and I think they’ve been together since their teens. Awww 🥰 

This is such a great season, similar to last season. Really top level chefs. I’m rooting for Buddha for his creative & inventive skills, but I think Damarr or even Evelyn are a worthy winner as well. Fantastic cooking. Also I’m glad I don’t live on the Gulf Coast with that weather! Granted, it was incredibly beautiful. I live in San Diego, where we have no real seasons, but that humid storm did not look fun. 

Think any of the chefs or loved ones noticed Ashley’s squid was raw?

Edited by Sd601
  • Love 12
45 minutes ago, Sd601 said:

I’m sure they must have, but with them all sitting together and in close proximity to the judges as well, I doubt they said anything, knowing it’d all come out in the wash.

• Love 3
(edited)

I kind of wish Ashleigh had realized the squid was wrong and just pulled that element out, because then Sarah's criminal ahi cuts would have got her sent her home.  And if she'd never used/cut ahi before why on earth would she buy it?

I specifically disliked how Sarah made excuses about everything - "I've been cooking a different kind of cooking than you have; the timing; the kitchen and equipment; the constrictions (of technique or ingredients, of which in fact there were very few), and so on.  And basically explaining (twice) that she didn't do well because she cooks first by appearance, then taste - she's not an interior designer, she's a chef.  Every comment she made was negative or an excuse.  I know there's plenty of Magic Elves editing going on, but at one point or another she said those things on camera.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 17
20 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I kind of wish Ashleigh had realized the squid was wrong and just pulled that element out, because then Sarah's criminal ahi cuts would have got her sent her home.  And if she'd never used/cut ahi before why on earth would she buy it?

Overconfidence? Sibling issues?

She quickly figured out she was meant to be cooking something that would appeal to her sister's taste. It seemed from her talking heads she has a lot of love for her sister but also is pretty jealous/in awe of her too. So she quickly divined that the sister wanted a particular dish that had been done in her family. She from the start seemed to want to present a version of that dish that would impress the judges more than truly think about whether it was the best style of dish for a family-style challenge. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Leeds said:

Bubbaleh (ie, the Yiddish term of endearment for Buddah Lo used in our household) for the win.

I didn't think it was possible for me to love Buddah more, but now that you've suggested this nickname he might be my new favorite for that alone. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

The VRBO house was beautiful but goodness, 6 chefs trying to cook at once — perhaps get two houses side by side??

I've rented, and cooked at, many beach houses (but not from VRBO™) and I was surprised we didn't get any "what do you mean there's no ...." crises!

I like Nick, but am getting a little tired of him using his magic spice mix on seemingly everything. He used it again in the QF. I guess it's working though.

Anybody know what those many many "structures" on the beach for the QF were? They looked like gallows without the nooses. I could think of nothing that made sense.

IMG-0095.JPG

• Love 3

any guesses where they are headed for a "UNESCO food heritage city"?

I'm thinking it has to be in the US because of Covid travel issues. Apparently that means San Antonio or Tucson.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think/hope Sarah is Dead Woman Walking because I think Last Chance Kitchen should be abolished. In either case, it seems like it's Evelyn and Buddha for sure in the finals and then a question of whether Damarr beats Nick or vice versa.  

I don't like LCK either, but I bet it's permanent, so they get sponsor money.  

(edited)
21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I've rented, and cooked at, many beach houses (but not from VRBO™) and I was surprised we didn't get any "what do you mean there's no ...." crises!

I like Nick, but am getting a little tired of him using his magic spice mix on seemingly everything. He used it again in the QF. I guess it's working though.

Anybody know what those many many "structures" on the beach for the QF were? They looked like gallows without the nooses. I could think of nothing that made sense.

IMG-0095.JPG

I think they are pull up bars for calisthenics.  But that is a guess.

Edited by SuzWhat
12 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I liked this episode with the loved ones. All the dishes looked good but I knew Ashleigh was a goner when Padma spit out the raw squid. It was weird how they showed Ashleigh packing up her knives to leave. I guess they made her go back to the Top Chef studio to film that. 

I suspect that they film all those PYKAGs at the beginning (or some point near the beginning) of the season and then just edit them in when they're needed.  

I have that blue starfish rug they had in the VRBO house -- it's in my home office.  I found it very distracting to keep seeing it throughout judges' table, because all I could think was, "That's my rug!" 😂

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

I love Sarah and hope she makes it to the final. I find her dry, self-deprecating comments sincere and often hilarious. It does have to be massively intimidating coming back in to a group of chefs who clearly bonded without you, while knowing they all think you should already be gone.

Buddha's pasta looked amazing. Nick seemed like a total mess. Ashleigh has never really impressed me as a chef, but I liked her. I find Damarr to be utterly charming. 

• Love 17

As a (home) cook I was having some serious anxiety when the family members arrived in the middle of their cooking. Did they turn off the ovens? Get a time out on the clock to give some hellos and hugs? Especially when they showed Nick out on the deck with his mother! (Maybe that was filmed later).

Sorry hon, I'm cooking! Grab a glass of wine and I'll see you later!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, amarante said:

If I recall correctly - as I don't cook octopus but will eat it - the chefs in other seasons have used a pressure cooker and THEN grilled or charred the octopus in order to get the octopus properly cooked and tender.

Squid doesn’t need nearly as much cooking as octopus to be tender, and I think people more often are dinged for overcooking them so they’re rubbery* (in fact, that’s what I first assumed when Padma complained about it), but Ashleigh's squid tentacles looked a little larger and probably needed a few more minutes on the grill.

*The rule for tender squid is to either cook it very quickly or braise/stew it for a while; otherwise it will be tough.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I call shenanigans on the VRBO house, unless it is specifically advertised as a fully equipped gourmet kitchen, suitable for chef catered parties.  No VRBO house or condo I've ever rented has had multiple large mixing bowls, multiple gourmet cooking pans, more than one sheet pan, tongs, large spoons, etc.  Most don't even have basic equipment like a colander for draining spaghetti or rinsing lettuce!

That was one exciting Judges Table.  Way to regroup and improvise!  I think we saw that Padma is a bit more than just a pretty face hosting a show.  It appeared she was the drill sergeant who organized the retreat and revamp, and they all unquestioningly followed her lead!  I think this was the first time Tom didn't look all grumpy and out of sorts--even with his beloved hat nearly flying away! 

I'm tired of Sarah already.

I'm good with a Buddha, Evelyn, Demarr, or even a Nick win.  They've cooked their hearts out!

• Love 10
15 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Loved meeting the family members.  Nick’s mom is so dear and it made me tear up when he talked to her on the little sofa about getting her a new car.  When Damarr read his note from his aunt and mom and got so teary, oh my gosh.  It was wonderful having his mentor and boss and friend there.

It was sweet, but why didn't the cheftestants and their loved ones get tables to eat on?  I hate wrangling a plate of food on my knees!

15 hours ago, pally said:

By cooking his simple dish to perfection, Buddha succeeded where so many cheftesants have failed.  

Buddha is an amazing chef with charm and personality.  However, Buddha and his wife are a very annoying couple.

11 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I'm continuing to love what Evelyn and Damarr are bringing to the table, literally and figuratively.  I'm glad I was able to split up my fan favorite votes.

My two fan faves, as well.

2 hours ago, amarante said:

I think Top Chef has decided not to go for all of the "drama" and unpleasant chefs bullying and acting out. I am grateful that the producers decided that watching talented people compete and create fantastic stuff is enough for the audience. 

NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour dedicated a whole episode to TC's evolution from bad reality TV to excellent reality TV.  They credited Padma's influence as a producer for much of the change (like not casting complete assholes, promoting diverse casts and keeping the focus on the food).

55 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm good with a Buddha, Evelyn, Demarr, or even a Nick win.  They've cooked their hearts out!

Same here, they're all deserving.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

However, Buddha and his wife are a very annoying couple.

yeah they rubbed me the wrong way together as well. Maybe it was the outfit she was wearing. A bit too "look a me" for my taste. If I was going to be on TV like that, I'd wear a nice sundress (like Gail was wearing).

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, dleighg said:

A bit too "look a me" for my taste.

A bit hoochie mama.

I like Sarah, and I like her dry sense of humor. I agree it has to be really difficult to try to fit in with a tight group that you haven't really been a part of. All the others were looking daggers at her. Very cliquey.

Ashleigh dish didn't sound or look good to me even not counting the squid. I'm surprised Buddha won with such a simple dish, but the recipe I looked up (not his) said it was a surprisingly tasty dish considering how few ingredients it contained. Also, smart because it's easy peasy.

Damarr's looked good to me, as did Evelyn's. I love cilantro, so I really wanted a bit of hers. Nick's was fairly unmemorable.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

IMG-0095.JPG

Maybe it's just me, but I wanted to see a few more scenes of how they were managing to cook in that shared space, with a very limited number of stoves, etc.  The episode built  up the premise and then, IMHO, didn't deliver.  The only point, then, was to advertise for VRBO.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

IMG-0095.JPG

Someone posted a "welcome to Galveston" video on Reddit. They are to hold up Volleyball nets.  

• Useful 10
  • Love 4

image.thumb.png.8dad723f11d098486df8a07549fafd9f.png

2 minutes ago, NaughtyKitty said:

Someone posted a "welcome to Galveston" video on Reddit. They are to hold up Volleyball nets

I was having trouble visualizing. This should help.

• Useful 7
  • Love 10
(edited)

I have a soft spot for TC episodes with family members and this was a good use of the family member gimmic. I enjoyed the slow reveal of the special guests (way to go Buddha for guessing immediately) and I really liked that the cheftestants got to spend some time with their family members and enjoy the food.

I think this was the first time the cheftestants got to taste the food of the others.. Did they all start to breathe a sigh of relief once they tasted Ashleigh's dish, knowing she was going home? It wasn't even a case of Padma getting the only undercooked squid-seemed like everyone had the same unpleasant experience. 

I think this is a very talented group, but they are making some pretty basic mistakes for this late in the game-overcooked "macaroni" this week....overcooked rice last week.  Nick seems to be a step behind the top 3 of Buddha, Demarr and Evelyn...and I am not sure he has much left to pull out, but it seems like the other 3 do, particularly Buddha, who seems to have a lot left to show.

I thought that Adrienne and Sheldon were 2 of the better guest judges this season-they did a really good explaining what the cheftestants did right and wrong and, frankly, made it clear who was going home and why. And, having watched their seasons, I am not surprised that they took a very low-key approach and made no attempt to make it about them like some others do....yeah, I am looking at you Blais (in prior years).

The product placement this season has been over the top....but this week topped it all. Between the constant VRBO references (yeah, that was the nicest VRBO ever), the Mastercard "tap" in the market and Nick raving about how great the BMW was to his mother, it was just one long commercial with some cooking thrown in.....oh, and a travelogue for Galveston and the trolley and the saltwater taffey etc...

And, yes, that squid must have been really bad and really unexpectedly bad for Padma not to make some double entendre about spitting it out/not being able to swallow!

Edited by AriAu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

We now have had Dawn and Shota guest judge on TC, but not Gabe the actual winner from their season who was caught up in controversy over sexual harassment. I wonder if TC is just going to pretend like he's not holding the title of TC.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I just loved this episode.  The way the chefs related to their families was endearing and got me in the feels.  I felt for Demarr not being able to have his mom there.  He seems like a lonely guy in some ways or just super-serious.  When he said he was an only child I got it, as I am one myself.  Evelyn looks like a younger female version of her dad.  She is such a happy person to be around and both of them together were so cute.  Nick's mom cracked me up.  She is clearly his #1 fan but despite that he is still endearingly modest.  Sarah looked like she was worried her sister might say something to mortify her, but it was clear that the two of them are very close.  Buddha and his wife together felt like a rich hipster power couple and even though that rubs me the wrong way I can't help myself, I still have a crush on him and he's my favorite to win, LOL.  

Ashleigh's mistake was a little too basic for a chef to make at this stage of the competition.  Plus as we all know as soon as any of the judges utters the word "inedible" it's a sure ticket home, every single time.  

Sarah is one of those chefs that gets too far in her head in a competition and sabotages herself.  She is a really good chef but that will do her in as it has done in many a fine chef before her on this show.  She was able to control that during LCK because she didn't have time to overthink and second guess herself to death.  She shouldn't even plan anything until the last minute so she doesn't have time to sabotage herself.

From here on every elimination is going to hurt.  Damn you, show!!!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Please don't.  I loathe Brian  "Shenanigans" Malarkey. 😉😄

I know someone that works for him and says he is super nice and wonderful to work for. Not at all like the impressions we got off tv

• Useful 5
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, AriAu said:

The product placement this season has been over the top....but this week topped it all. Between the constant VRBO references (yeah, that was the nicest VRBO every), the Mastercard "tap" in the market and Nick raving about how great the BMW was to his mother, it was just one long commercial with some cooking thrown in.....oh, and a travelogue for Galveston and the trolley and the saltwater taffey etc...

I noticed that as well, but I guess it doesn't bug me much (unlike the ridiculous things like a QF where they had to make a dish with "one of the many varieties of Bush's Baked Beans™). I know that's how they pay the bills; I had heard of VRBO™ but never used them; this didn't particularly make me *more* likely to use them. I know tourist towns love to show off to potential tourists, so, whatever.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm so surprised by how much everyone here enjoyed meeting the cheftestant family members.  I literally could not have cared less about being introduced to the wives and mothers, etc. 

Except for one or two people who have a striking backstory I can't ignore, I mainly only care about how they cook.

ETA:  Bah.  Humbug.

Edited by candall
My crotchety senior side is showing.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
20 hours ago, Sd601 said:

I think it’s coming down to Damarr and Buddha, with Evelyn as third. All have had a few misses here and there. Buddha and Damarr seem to be the closest as friends—did you see Buddha proudly introduce his wife to Damarr? And they sat together, Buddha praised his dish, and they interact on Instagram frequently. I love it. Two very different and fantastic chefs. Buddha was adorable with his wife. I follow him on Instagram now and I think they’ve been together since their teens. Awww 🥰 

This is such a great season, similar to last season. Really top level chefs. I’m rooting for Buddha for his creative & inventive skills, but I think Damarr or even Evelyn are a worthy winner as well. Fantastic cooking. Also I’m glad I don’t live on the Gulf Coast with that weather! Granted, it was incredibly beautiful. I live in San Diego, where we have no real seasons, but that humid storm did not look fun. 

I think you have the right final 3, but I have Evelyn as the winner.  

Evelyn and Buddha are neck and neck on record.  And Evelyn (and Damarr) cooks with so much soul.  And when you look at the numbers:

Wins           Highs        Ins        Bottoms

Evelyn              3                 3                3           2 

Buddha            3                  3               3           2

Damarr             1                  3               6           1

I think Evelyn will bring the male vs female score to 12-7.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 3

Can someone explain to me what Buddha did for 2 1/2 hours with store-bought pasta and canned tomatoes? While his sauce was simmering on the stove for much of that time, all he had to do was boil pasta.

Also, can someone tell Buddha’s wife to buy clothes that fit and are appropriate for the occasion? And that black undergarments under sheer, light-colored clothes is not a great look. Maybe how to brush hair while we are at it? That woman, who otherwise appears attractive in photographs, looked a mess.

Needless to say, I thought it was bs that the judges gave Buddha to win this week. He made a six hundred year old classic recipe as the recipe exists and didn’t even make it from scratch. 

It felt like all Sara did was make excuses from the moment she appeared on screen. Her passive-aggressive relationship with her sister was entertaining, especially the “put the whole thing in your mouth, no one’s looking”. 

I think not knowing how to slice fish or sear ahi properly is a bigger fail for a chef at their level than undercooking squid on a grill. But when a judge spits out your food, a pykag is coming.

I loved seeing the chefs interactions with their parents. It was so sweet. 

I hope Evelyn or Nick wins this season. It was interesting to hear Gail explain how much she enjoyed Nick’s macaroni and then Tom complain about it. 

• Love 10