Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E13: One on One (Part 3)

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, deirdra said:

They probably are while working for TLC and selling MLM crap, but Christine's SS payments would be tiny if she only worked and paid premiums for 12-15 yrs of her life. Your Social Security payment is based on your best 35 years of work; 0's are put into the sum for all the years you didn't pay into SS.

Right, my point was they all should have been paying in.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Right, my point was they all should have been paying in.

Yah know, I don't think these boneheads have any clue how SS works and think they will all get $$ when the Douche goes to his "planet". You work, you pay in or you are a spouse of over 10 years and get payments related to how much was earned by deceased ramen noodle head. Unmarried plyg wives get nothing, nada, from kodouche, it is based on their own earnings.

• Love 6

Yah know, I don't think these boneheads have any clue how SS works and think they will all get $$ when the Douche goes to his "planet". You work, you pay in or you are a spouse of over 10 years and get payments related to how much was earned by deceased ramen noodle head. Unmarried plyg wives get nothing, nada, from kodouche, it is based on their own earnings.

From what they showed on the show, it looked like Meri signed her divorce papers with no financial agreement that would force Kody to pay her anything or entitle her to his 401k or anything. I hope she did get something and they just didn't show it. She was legally married to him for like 25 years. She could have gotten alimony. 

• Useful 5

I’d love for Christine to spill the tea on how their finances really work since they started the show. It would not surprise me if the adults got equal shares, but that Kody didn’t use any of this share to support his kids. I think that each wife has been responsible for all of the expenses related to their kids. Except Robyn, of course. 

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’d love for Christine to spill the tea on how their finances really work since they started the show. It would not surprise me if the adults got equal shares, but that Kody didn’t use any of this share to support his kids. I think that each wife has been responsible for all of the expenses related to their kids. Except Robyn, of course. 

That would be amazingk, and I agree with you that Kody kept his own share, hair products, perms and plugs ain't cheap

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

In one episode Kody said he would sometimes spend his money on something special for one of the kids.  They have said that the show money was split six ways:  one share for each original adult and then one for reserve for things like education, weddings, and other big expenditures.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

In one episode Kody said he would sometimes spend his money on something special for one of the kids.  They have said that the show money was split six ways:  one share for each original adult and then one for reserve for things like education, weddings, and other big expenditures.

It would be interesting to know if he contributed to the mortgages, taxes and maintenance of the 4 LV homes.  I believe he was on title to all of them and he was most likely there with his hand outstretched for any profits derived from the sale of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
44 minutes ago, Absolom said:

So the wives were responsible for housing, feeding and clothing the kids themselves. It’s ridiculous that Kody didn’t have to provide for them.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

So the wives were responsible for housing, feeding and clothing the kids themselves. It’s ridiculous that Kody didn’t have to provide for them.

How else do you think he is going to buy his sports cars and fancy sun glasses so he can toodle down the road like Joe Cool?  The man has an image to upkeep after all!

• LOL 7
  • Love 7

In Kody’s head he is an excellent role model for everyone. Surely that is all he has to provide.

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
On 2/24/2022 at 1:50 PM, kassa said:

I really don't want that to consist of the adult children, however - no need to carry this stigma into future generations publicly.

Oh no, not another Duggar Kids Next Generation type spin-off! 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Libby said:

There is absolutely no way that a woman can have equal power to the man in a polygamist marriage.

According to Kody & his wives, they neither desired nor expected equal power when they chose to “live the principle” of polygamy.  They chose a religion and a style of marriage that right out the gate holds women in a subservient position.  Their prophet revealed God’s will for his people and in that dogma, women are not allowed to hold positions of power within their church/religion or marriage. Their only power is the power to leave, since their religion allows for divorce, even if the marriage isn’t sanctioned by government entities.  They also have the power to leave the religion and denounce its beliefs, but they most certainly are not permitted to be equal to the menfolk.

• Useful 4
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, deirdra said:

In one show in the past couple of years, Kootie said he had no retirement savings. He's 53, so I suspect he'll be hustling for money until the day he drops dead.

I've always thought that they believe their kids are their retirement plan of sorts. Have a ton, and hopefully at least one or two will want to support you in your old age.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 2/24/2022 at 11:06 PM, Gramto6 said:

And I strongly suspect Kody doesn't have a life insurance policy to take care of his family after he beams up to his celestial afterlife, either.  

Such a responsible act would never even cross his ramened dome.  

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

And I strongly suspect Kody doesn't have a life insurance policy to take care of his family after he beams up to his celestial afterlife, either.  

With at least three angry wives, that's probably a smart thing, especially if there is a double indemnity clause.  There are enough nuts out there to hire cheap and boot him off the planet.

• LOL 10

I’ve finally watched this last One on One.   Well…….let’s see.  What to make of it?  Unpopular opinion, I know, but I actually think Kody looked really good.  For some reason, I’ve always found him physically attractive, though his personality is problematic.  🥴

It does appear the issues with Christine go way back.  I think back to when they were trying to repair their marriage with counseling in Vegas.  It was odd.  She seemed very exasperating and Kody seemed insensitive.  Maybe, they were not a good match.  Perhaps, moving on from each other is good.  I find both of them disingenuous.  You can’t expect your spouse to go without lovin’ indefinitely.  He had to know that could not continue………oh, wait….Meri and Janelle are ok with it…..lol.   So, the show will go on without a fourth wife.  I think it’ll go forward.  

So, I wonder if Christine will go on 90 Day franchise The Single Life.   Lol Seriously, I think that would be amusing.  Granted, she’s not from the 90 Day franchise, but they could pair her up with someone who has been.  I mean, it’s all TLC…..all in the family.  Lol 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, deirdra said:

In one show in the past couple of years, Kootie said he had no retirement savings. He's 53, so I suspect he'll be hustling for money until the day he drops dead.

I dont know how Robyn would cope without Kody she is so dependent on him. 

• Love 10
21 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve finally watched this last One on One.   Well…….let’s see.  What to make of it?  Unpopular opinion, I know, but I actually think Kody looked really good.  For some reason, I’ve always found him physically attractive, though his personality is problematic.  🥴

Raising my loser hand in shame, same here !  I found him much more attractive years ago but even today, Kody is not bad when he is not talking. I am about the same age and I think that while ignoring his non-Robin kids and wives, he has kept himself in shape. Although Mr. Knight is not heavy either, but aging overall can really suck. Now that I have admitted this, I will deny it outside of this forum  !

The other thing I learned from this 3rd tell-all episode....Unexpected comes back yonight ! Yeah ! Pop the popcorn !

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 2/25/2022 at 9:56 AM, Kellyee said:

From what they showed on the show, it looked like Meri signed her divorce papers with no financial agreement that would force Kody to pay her anything or entitle her to his 401k or anything. I hope she did get something and they just didn't show it. She was legally married to him for like 25 years. She could have gotten alimony. 

Hum. I wonder if Kody took Meri to the Love Shack so she’d divorce him and he could marry Robin!

That’s probably only a memory now!

• LOL 2

I’ve always wondered ether Kody has a will. If he passes before Robyn, will Robyn get everything, assuming there is anything to get? The Robyn-kids then stand to inherit when Robyn passes—does that leave out all of the non-Robyns?

Ed. to add: If I were Meri, I would have insisted on some kind of compensation, payout, etc. to divorce Kody. And because Kody says he would never be the one to divorce a wife, he would need Meri to do so.

Edited by Adiba
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Which episode of the One on Ones was Kody forced to say if he was in love with Janelle?  I recall the question, but never heard the response. I can’t bear to rewatch all of them again.  

I believe it was part 2.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I’ve always wondered ether Kody has a will. If he passes before Robyn, will Robyn get everything, assuming there is anything to get? The Robyn-kids then stand to inherit when Robyn passes—does that leave out all of the non-Robyns?

Ed. to add: If I were Meri, I would have insisted on some kind of compensation, payout, etc. to divorce Kody. And because Kody says he would never be the one to divorce a wife, he would need Meri to do so.

Ooh, good question. I think that Robyn would get everything, since she’s the only legal wife. None of the other wives would have a claim to it, since they aren’t legally married to him. I bet Robyn made sure he updated his will when they got married (no shade, that’s the smart thing to do).

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, Adiba said:

If I were Meri, I would have insisted on some kind of compensation, payout, etc. to divorce Kody. And because Kody says he would never be the one to divorce a wife, he would need Meri to do so.

I think she may have still been deluded into thinking Robyn was her friend when Meri agreed to the divorce.  And she did get her wet bar.

Even if he has a will, it could be legally challenged by his 12 illegitimate children - this is done all the time when millionaires & billionaires die. But I doubt Kootie would have assets worth going after once the lawyers are paid. Robyn will be saddled with all of his debts, so the non-Robyns can look forward to that!

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

I don't know, but I DO remember Robyn saying that the legal wife hs the responsibility to make sure assets are divided among all the family, but that "she's known" of legal wives that kept it all. Foreshadowing?

She always throws little nuggets like that out. (Her saying that "she's known" polygamist husbands that leave all of their wives..or keep just one was another.)

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Pooky said:

I dont know how Robyn would cope without Kody she is so dependent on him. 

Robyn will just find another man, hopefully (for her) with sister wives, to pay her bills. Until then, she will likely make her older kids actually work to help pay her bills. 
Robyn is the only one of the wives who has done nothing to try to bring in money for the family when they were still together or her immediate family now. MSW closet doesn’t count since it never had a chance of providing income. Janelle worked a real job prior to moving to vegas and has now her MLM. Meri worked a real job before moving to vegas and now has her MLM and B&B. Christine has money from the sale of her house, her MLM and her new cooking show. What has Robyn ever brought to the table other than a VS bill and some fake tears?

• Love 10

Seems that whenever this dysfunctional group tries to have a discussion, be it as a group, or in a one-on-one situation, the only person who seems to have the ability too express a clear thought is Janelle. (Even if that thought is just "F you") The other 3 just seem to talk until they say something. I'm thinking back to times when any two wives have tried to clear the air over some minor conflict, or when they all sit down to "discuss" an issue such as the land. There is just such a disconnect among all of them. 

Apropos absolutely nothing, when I heard Christine say "What. Does. The. Nanny. Do?" it was in the context of "that allows her and her husband to come into Robyn's house during covid" (under Kody's covid mandates) when her children were not even allowed in. But of course, this begs the question "why is there a nanny in the first place?" Kody has justified it as caring for and schooling the children, so perhaps the question should be "What does Robyn do?"

https://youtu.be/WiWRmh0N7G4

• Applause 1
  • Love 8
On 2/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, Absolom said:

At first, I was in absolute shock when I read this. It literally had to sink in what this could imply if Kody was honest about it. So here are my thoughts:

If it’s equal shares, it probably explains why princess Mariah could go to expensive private colleges but not the others. Meri had the money.

Just the thought that Kody may have allocated himself an equal share and let the wives sort out everything financially for their kids* from their share makes me sick.

If he has an equal share and no kids to pay for, he’s even a bigger financial loser than I imagined if there’s no money in the bank! In that case he squandered even more than I thought possible.

It does fit a pattern I noticed with Kody: “I’m entitled to have whatever the wives have too. The most notable examples: the fifth apartment in Plyg palace and the idea of a fifth all Kody house on coyote pass…” oh this sounds a lot like Meri too!

* I just realised that Christine recently said that she was still paying for Truely’s hospital bills… what about Kody’s responsibility in this?

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, LilyD said:

* I just realised that Christine recently said that she was still paying for Truely’s hospital bills… what about Kody’s responsibility in this?

While the Browns vaguely talked about finances in the beginning of the show, I suspect once they got to Vegas and separated the households, and each unmarried wife had to sign rental leases etc in their own name, finances were severed.  They gave the impression that large bills were considered family bills but since Christine mentioned in one of her facebook live sales that she still payed Truely's hospital bill, I think the money is budgeted out and that is that.

No idea how any of that would even line up with Kody's comment aways back of "Our family's tax return is 50 pages long..." So which is it? Separate bills and budgets or a giant commingled kerfuffle.

• Love 5
On 2/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Chris Knight said:

Raising my loser hand in shame, same here !  I found him much more attractive years ago but even today, Kody is not bad when he is not talking. I am about the same age and I think that while ignoring his non-Robin kids and wives, he has kept himself in shape. Although Mr. Knight is not heavy either, but aging overall can really suck. Now that I have admitted this, I will deny it outside of this forum  !

The other thing I learned from this 3rd tell-all episode....Unexpected comes back yonight ! Yeah ! Pop the popcorn !

I’m shamefully admitting that I like his hair.  I like long hair on men.  I’m about the same age as he is.  
It’s a shame what’s under his hair though. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I like long hair on men.

I like long hair on  men, too. You know, the 80s hair-metal bands? Almost any of them. 😉 Those guys always had much better hair than I had.  😉😀

But Kody's lonely ringlets are just awful and cringeworthy. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 2/23/2022 at 12:07 PM, heatherchandler said:

With Robyn’s downturned mouth and beak-like nose, she reminds me of Sam the eagle.

41E90B66-C15F-457A-AC8A-6CAE4B818D92.jpeg

She wishes to be as awesome as Sam the Eagle 

• LOL 7
On 2/21/2022 at 10:19 AM, JayDub1987 said:

To me, the most telling part of this episode was near the end when Christine gleefully announced that she was "dating herself." She has herself, and her children who she quite obviously adores. No, I'm not saying that Christine hasn't made some bad decisions in the past (kidney failure fiasco), but that doesn't mean that she hasn't learned from them and become an advocate for her children and herself. 

Every other adult on that stage seems to think that being in a marriage, even a dead, loveless, bitter marriage, is the key to happiness. Christine realized that she doesn't need a "husband" to be happy. If and when Janelle and Meri realize that, they'll be better off for it. 

Kody and Robyn saying "I hope she finds someone." Holy hell, people. After 20-plus years with Cody, she'd probably rather take care of herself (in more ways than one). 

I know plenty of happy, successful, fulfilled single people who are my age (34) and older. There's a woman who sells real estate in the same office that I work in who is 41, has never been married, and has never been in a long-term romantic relationship. She is truly one of the happiest people I've ever had the pleasure of being around. Conversely, there's a guy in my office who is 39, who openly talks about how much him and his wife hate each other, but they're both scared to be 40 and single. 

Christine has decided to take control of her own happiness and I LOVE it. She's 49 years old. The life expectancy for females in Utah is around 80 years old. That means that she has somewhere around 11,315 days left to live, and she's done letting Kody and his pecker-shaped nose dictate how happy she is for those days. 

I don't think you can discount their religious belief that you need to be sealed to a man to go to the afterlife/ heaven/planet/whatever.  AN eternity in outer darkness is the alternative if I have my facts together, As an aside, without speculating on her sexuality, I don't think Janelle gives a shit about intimacy with Kody. I've had that impression since their "anniversary trip" (camping) WAYYYYY back. I think she pretty much said she doesn't care?  I think she wanted kids and that plus her faith = Kody seemed like a good idea. Once she had her kids I think she was done with the "romantic' part of the relationship. 

• Useful 2

I think Christine has also moved on from AUB/Mormon beliefs.  I don't think she has any concern about depending on a man for much of anything after learning she could depend on Kody for nothing.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

I think Christine has also moved on from AUB/Mormon beliefs.  I don't think she has any concern about depending on a man for much of anything after learning she could depend on Kody for nothing.

For sure. She’s had her eyes opened. I think  Meri can’t let go of the faith at least in part due to a “sunken cost” idea. She’s spent her entire adult life dedicated to the lifestyle and to admit it’s bull shit would make it all meaningless which may be just too much for her to handle. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, MamaMax said:

For sure. She’s had her eyes opened. I think  Meri can’t let go of the faith at least in part due to a “sunken cost” idea. She’s spent her entire adult life dedicated to the lifestyle and to admit it’s bull shit would make it all meaningless which may be just too much for her to handle. 

This highlights the difference between Christine and Meri.  Meri's immediate family didn't engage in the polygamous lifestyle until she was about 7 years old.  Christine came from generations of polygamists fraught with fear and violence.

Christine can now admit her thinking was twisted, Meri will never admit to being wrong about anything.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

This highlights the difference between Christine and Meri.  Meri's immediate family didn't engage in the polygamous lifestyle until she was about 7 years old.  Christine came from generations of polygamists fraught with fear and violence.

Christine can now admit her thinking was twisted, Meri will never admit to being wrong about anything.

There's definitely a mental health/resiliency difference between the two women.  Christine just strikes me a more resilient and able to believe in the possibilities of the future. She believes that she can maker her life better, on her own.  I don't think Meri has the self esteem or the resiliency to do it. She keeps trying to talk herself into it, on her social media. She tries to convince herself that she's #LIVINGHERWHY but I don't buy it for a second.  IMO, she traded one cult for another in a desperate attempt to find a new community to belong to. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Just like her jackass ex-husband, Meri is never wrong.  Bullheaded, my mother would have called them.

• Like 8
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, MamaMax said:

If I am remembering correctly, in the first season she said, if it wasn't for her daughter she didn't know if she would stay in this lifestyle.  So I think once she realized that plural marriage wan't all they made it out to be, she no longer believed in it.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3