Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: Choosing Kids Over Kody

Pallas
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, NoWhammies said:

Just watched this on Discovery+. There is no hope for this family. It has been an inevitable slow-motion trainwreck that everyone but the Browns saw coming from the minute Robyn came into the family. You can't build a functional family around a dysfunctional, narcissistic, unintelligent, angry, irresponsible twit. 

Serious question: are you referring to Kody or Robyn as the twit? It sounds exactly like Kody to me, but since you reference the trainwreck starting when Robyn came into the family,  I wasn't exactly sure. I think many of the descriptors you used might refer to Robyn also.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 10

Not to defend Kody, but I read that husbands/fathers kicking out their maturing sons is a "thing" in polygamy.  It's almost like there's a rivalry or competition for dominance going on or assumed to be going on.  At any rate, it's not just Kody.

Why doesn't it apply to Robyn's kids?  Maybe because they aren't Kody's children.

Or because Robyn wears the pants in that household!

• Useful 6
  • Love 9
36 minutes ago, toodywoody said:

That's what I don't understand is why he isn't saying the same about Robyn's kids? I know it's because they are her kids, but the same logic would apply to them to

Robyn's kids keep sweet and don't challenge Kody"s authority. The other kids are questioning him, and he can't handle it. I wonder how much time and energy Robyn puts into not making Kody mad. And Robyn appears to be more into isolating her kids as well.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Not to defend Kody, but I read that husbands/fathers kicking out their maturing sons is a "thing" in polygamy.  It's almost like there's a rivalry or competition for dominance going on or assumed to be going on.  At any rate, it's not just Kody.

Why doesn't it apply to Robyn's kids?  Maybe because they aren't Kody's children.

Or because Robyn wears the pants in that household!

But they ARE his kids. He divorced Meri so he could marry Robyn and then he legally adopted them.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12

Did you all see they showed the entire page of the "rules"?  I paused the TV and took a picture (I know, I need a life), here's the complete list.  Somebody's phone was covering a bit at the bottom, I've made educated guesses on a couple words.  I'm typing it verbatim, even though it pains me:

Wear mask in public

Sanitize hands after shopping

Wash hands often

Sanitize purchase products and groceries with alcohol wipes before [bringing] inside house

Remove shoes outside

Change clothing after visiting shops, other homes or businesses

Only local family allowed in home unless abiding in these rules

No eating at sit down restaurants; only take out

Limit shopping.  Use curbside pickup.

Two week quarantine after travel or having visitors 

No movie theaters, bars, fitness centers or restaurants, etc.

If in person shopping is absolutely necessary, ten foot social distance and only for limited times, 1-2 hours.  Prefer to stay inside vehicles.

Be honest with other family members about your travel and potential exp[osure]

If kids are socializing or dating they must follow quarantine procedures be[fore] participating with family in any way other than outside, social distancing.

Clean mail with alcohol wipes.

SW Rules.jpg

• Useful 12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

3 hours ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

Kody talks down to the wives like he’s a cult leader handing down instructions to his disciples. It sounded very “if you’re not with me then you’re against me”. I found it really disturbing to listen to. When he smiled and wished them all a Happy Thanksgiving he looked like an actual lunatic. He’s really gone off the deep end.  And as much as I agree that Gabe and Christine aren’t being as cautious about Covid as they should be, it’s pretty clear that Kody’s not pissed about Covid, he’s pissed about losing control over his wives and kids. He said it at the end of the episode, this is about “those who are loyal to me and those who are not”.

It comes as no surprise to me that the Brown’s version of religion relies on strict compliance to the rules…#1 of those rules being that he is to be followed.  Questioned, maybe, but not threatened.  I’m not sure how he originally got into it (because I’d have to care), but didn’t the wives grow up watching their own various Moms “keep sweet” so they could get to heaven?  Sometimes I hate to admit it, but they DO live in a country that celebrates religious freedom and their natural right to choose whatever path to heaven they see fit, so unless there is outright abuse, one has to turn the other cheek.  I feel sorry their children had to/have to go through their mother’s neglect as a result of choosing him to lead them to heaven as well as having a father that rejoices in sharing 1/18th of his fatherly time with them because heaven.

That being said, I don’t think Kody is the instigator/brainwasher of Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn that resulted in them choosing a polygamous lifestyle.  I imagine they knew full well the future a sister wife could look forward to…to reproduce as much as possible, regardless of financial/physical ability as well as sharing that with ONE husband, they choose to contribute everything and suffer in silence, following his lead, so if/when they don’t, well then he’s been betrayed.  Every single one of those bitches could be Sociology Honors Course Thesis offerings at BYU on how NOT to follow the LDS principles even if you DO think Smith was right about living polygamy, legal or not.

I’m betting Kody has been this way from the jump…since day one of filming.  I don’t think he’s that bright, really, but I think he tried to over emphasize the separation of relationships-physically, in the beginning.  Like he thought maybe he’d be some kind of flag waver to legalize polygamy…by showing the viewers the fleeing, the relocation into separate houses, Kody, the responsible hobo, schlepping in between because they can’t even share one kitchen, yadda yadda Polygamy rocks…and then nobody cares about his cause, but the perks of the show….and here we are.  Kody melts down as his dream disappears and he fades into the woodwork.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

Serious question: are you referring to Kody or Robyn as the twit? It sounds exactly like Kody to me, but since you reference the trainwreck starting when Robyn came into the family,  I wasn't exactly sure. I think many of the descriptors you used might refer to Robyn also.

mostly Kody - but there's definitely a case to be made for Robyn.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

Kody is a fuckwad.  COVID-19 rules change every two days.  Why would a father enforce the "rules" over seeing his kids?  Oh, Robyn.  Got it.

Seriously, they are still alive so my point is valid.  Kody wanted to ditch his wives and kids.  Terrible.

Edited by albarino
  • Love 24
4 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

There must have been some previous lying because Kody said things about "deception" and Janelle referenced "knowing the truth." Earlier, Kody was visiting Janelle's house because she says he was with them for 5 days before Hunter left. So I think there must have been some sort of triggering moment between Kody and the boys that made Kody stop visiting them and demand Garrison move out.

This sounds plausible, particularly since the full list of rules they showed in this episode includes being honesty with family members about travel and exposure.  That would explain a lot, but doesn't excuse Kody being so spiteful.  

• Love 10

When Kody says they have economic issues to consider, then says Garrison is working, Christine has an employee, exactly WHAT is Kody doing?  And if he's taking all the precautions he listed, how is he doing any work?  If he's working outside the house (Robyns) who can that be safe - according to his rules.   

• Love 14
3 hours ago, lilysmom said:

But they ARE his kids. He divorced Meri so he could marry Robyn and then he legally adopted them.

That makes them his adoptive children; not his biological children.

And only one is a male, and possibly Kody considers him disabled.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

So, I stumbled across this on Discovery over break and I used to watch back in the Vegas days and I’ve been binging hard over winter break while watching the new episodes too. Kody is super unhinged. Like, I am concerned about the wellbeing of the kids and his wives. How do the people in their lives watch this and not be concerned that Kody is going to snap?

I feel terrible for all the kids, this family is a train wreck. Gabe and Garrison were so angry. Even Savannah seemed on edge during that fight. And we didn’t see any of the other kids. Makes me wonder if the other kids are asking to not be on the show or if the Moms are saying no to having them on air as much.

Binging this show while watching the new season is wild. You start to see the cracks earlier. Kody talking about how Christine blames him for Truely-I bet those were big fights we never saw. Makes you wonder how far back Christine was planning her divorce vs staying for the family. Think Christine took some of her stuff up to Utah at Thanksgiving? Or started looking for a place while she was there?

• Useful 4
  • Love 15

I feel sorry for Janelle that she can’t set rules for her own house that protect not only her, but her daughter. She can get all haughty with Kody and others, but not her sons.   She’s delusional if she thinks she’s okay if her sons are socializing with people outside the household and then coming back into the home.  That has nothing to do with Kody. That’s on her. And risky for them all.  

And Christine doesn’t even try to act like she’s being cautious.  To me, that’s irresponsible.  What about her commitment to her children?  I’m not sure if she’s just not well informed or just a very stubborn person.  I’ll be glad when the show gets to a time after vaccines became available.  Because, they really are pushing the envelope.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 21

Kody says he wants the whole family together, but what "family" is he talking about?

Because it sure seems to me he is intent on cutting his adult children out of the family completely.

Newsflash jackass - Aspyn & Mitch, Tony & Mykelti, Paedon, Garrison & his girlfriend, and Gabe & his girlfriend ARE ALL PART OF THE FAMILY, TOO.

Not just minor children (and of course, all of Robyn's kids, minors or not).

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
3 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

When Kody says they have economic issues to consider, then says Garrison is working, Christine has an employee, exactly WHAT is Kody doing?  And if he's taking all the precautions he listed, how is he doing any work?  If he's working outside the house (Robyns) who can that be safe - according to his rules.   

I believe he was referring to the health of the camera crew.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

Kody says he wants the whole family together, but what "family" is he talking about?

Because it sure seems to me he is intent on cutting his adult children out of the family completely.

Newsflash jackass - Aspyn & Mitch, Tony & Mykelti, Paedon, Garrison & his girlfriend, and Gabe & his girlfriend ARE ALL PART OF THE FAMILY, TOO.

Not just minor children (and of course, all of Robyn's kids, minors or not).

I thought Christine said she asked them (the Utah kids) if they could do the precautions for two weeks prior to thanksgiving and they said they couldn't. And that is why they weren't coming for thanksgiving (and why Christine is going there instead).

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

For all of you saying Janelle and Christine are being irresponsible, did you have older teens during the pandemic?  I sent my daughter off to college and she came home for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year. My high school son had a job at a grocery store.  Was that irresponsible of me?  Are they supposed to keep their teens locked up 24/7?  No college, no jobs, no friends?  Really? 

I have covid now, I’m the first in my family to get it.  I got it from my best friend, not one of my three teens.  Sometimes mental health can be just as important as physical health and teens need to socialize.  Janelle and Christine are doing the right thing for their families. 

As a mom to teens I totally agree! It’s like the risk to the small fraction of the population who might die of Covid supersedes everything else. The mental health of those isolated, losing your small business, the economy, our freedom to choose, increased suicide, domestic violence, etc, etc. Kody lives in a bubble, and is completely selfish to the emotional well being of his bio kids. Good for Christine and Janelle to finally start standing up for their kids and realizing the importance of human connection! 

As with you, when I caught Covid, it wasn’t from my teens who’ve been living their life. It was from my fully vaxxed husband who uses hand sanitizer and masks religiously. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 21