Type keyword(s) to search

S41.E08: Betraydar

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I agree with Shan. In 41 seasons of Survivor we have never seen anything like this.  And that is a good thing. All these dumb advantages and constant live tribals are getting quite tiresome and unejoyable to watch.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, CraftyHazel said:

Xander voted for Naseer.

Evvie and Tiffany voted for Heather.

Naseer and I think Danny voted for Xander.

Everyone else voted Tiffany.

Thank you!  The editors zipped through the parchments like the parking meter was running out.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I like Shan and Ricard.  They are gamers.  Also Xander.  As someone said in the Live Chat thread, by hanging on to his idol. Xander displayed nerves of steel.  Also like Danny because dayum.  That is one fine hunk of man.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, susannot said:

I like Shan and Ricard.  They are gamers.  Also Xander.  As someone said in the Live Chat thread, by hanging on to his idol. Xander displayed nerves of steel.  Also like Danny because dayum.  That is one fine hunk of man.

I won't lie that I really thought Xander was going.  Liana had that confessional about wanting him to misplay his idol for no reason, so he'd lose that power.  I was worried that was foreshadowing to him not playing it, or playing it for Tiffany, and getting voted off as a result.  I also thought it took guts that he sat the IC out, knowing he wasn't in the best position in the game.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I honestly don't know how anybody puts up with Shan.  She's playing way too hard.

Ricard is too, though. I'm glad Xander saw right through him.

This suggests to me the whole thing with Heather may have been staged.

I grew to like Tiffany more by the end. 

I'm kind of wondering, although I don't know if everyone looking super confused could have pulled off those acting chops.  Maybe they forgot there was a Heather in the game, too.  That was super random for her of all people to do that, though, and I still don't know what she was trying to accomplish.  Maybe she knew she was going to get the purple edit and decided to make one last stand for airtime?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Deshawn's face when Xander volunteered to take Erika's place on the sit-out bench was the highlight for me.

The rest of the episode was the lowlight.

I like Shan a lot and find it interesting so many people don't. If she was a man more people would love her game. Deshawn is getting on my nerves, and how can the others not realise how dangerous Ricard is?!

2 minutes ago, willco said:

I do know if I was a member of Shan's church and I saw her comments, I' be finding somewhere else to go ! She basically said, "I listen to everyone and then do what I want to do !" Yeah, sorry, that wouldn't really work for me. To me it implies that she thinks she's always right- and it does seem that way on the show.

I'm not a Christian but isn't that the whole point of a pastor? To tell parishioners what to do and how to interpret religious texts?

• Love 3

Naseer is lovable.  That is exactly why he will be voted out.  No one will want to sit next to him at FTC. Also he lacks the killer cutthroat gene.  Shan and Ricard have it.  Xander is sneaky and clever.  In fact I'm going out on a limb right now and predicting they'll be the Final 3.  I will revisit this prediction at the end to determine how wrong I was.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I like Xander.  I think he’s playing fairly smart.

For a minute there I thought maybe he volunteered to sit out the reward challenge because he figured there was a good chance it came with yet another advantage. But no, he just wanted to throw his lot in with the losers to assess the bittercakes. Which isn't a bad strategy in and of itself, but the game is such a crapshoot now it's hard to tell what's worth anything.

Naseer is lovable. 

Eh, I don't love him. He seems hopelessly naive. I know he's not privy to what we are but Danny and DeShawn keep throwing his name out there and yet he still thinks he's in tight with them. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, awaken said:

I don’t know why they bothered showing the hidden advantage at the challenge if xander wasn’t going to find it and it had no impact on the game. 

They got everyone watching at home to say, "Thank Jesus he didn't find that advantage because the last thing this season needs is another random twist." Or alternatively, they get to fake us out and Xander did find it and put it back and we'll flash back to this down the road.

They think that giving us more of a glimpse of behind the scenes of Survivor is fascinating, but I at least would rather pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Also, assuming the show is playing it straight, they get to have all the players be like, "Oh man, Xander should have looked at the bench." And future generations of players are going to have this in mind and do even more Easter Egg hunts.

I can't wait till there is a point where they stop planting idols and advantages and people spend a ton of energy looking for nothing. 

28 minutes ago, susannot said:

Naseer is lovable.  That is exactly why he will be voted out.  No one will want to sit next to him at FTC. Also he lacks the killer cutthroat gene.  Shan and Ricard have it.  Xander is sneaky and clever.  In fact I'm going out on a limb right now and predicting they'll be the Final 3.  I will revisit this prediction at the end to determine how wrong I was.

I think that Xander's sneakiness can only go so far. People would be crazy to think that they could beat him in a FTC. But then my prediction was off about Erika being targeted for revenge for TBT, so what do I know?

• Love 5

I hate how the bottom feeders don’t go to people on the fringe of the core alliance and play into their fears. Why didn’t Heather, Evie, Tiff, Erika, Zander try and pull Naseer and Ricard? 

Imagine planning a potluck with Shan. You think you’re going with a bbq and next thing it’s vegan. She’s exhausting and too preachy (pun intended). Reminds me of why I quit the local church. 

And Ricard eating the papaya, he’s an asshole. Hope the cheese ruined his digestive system for a few days. People aren’t eating at all, and he come back from having a meal and goes for the loser’s food? I’d have put his name out there immediately.

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Shan is a very interesting person. We've seen how she likes to be in charge at all times, which can be off-putting, but at the same time she's very charismatic. I can see how under less stressful circumstances, she could charmingly convince people to do almost anything. Hopefully, outside the game, she uses her powers only for good. In the game, as she gets too exhausted to be charming, she could be in trouble. 

I'm very impressed with Xander. Honestly, at the start of the game he struck me as naive and conceited, mainly due to his annoying hair situation. But he's proving to be a much bolder and more strategic player than I ever gave him credit for. 

Speaking of surprises, who knew that I'd be sad to see Tiffany go? I didn't see that one coming. She really came into her own after a terrible start. 

The AA alliance doesn't look like it's going to go the distance. It's no Cookout. Too much friction between Deshawn and Shan. 

Agree.  Not with a bossy female in charge!

1 hour ago, awaken said:

I don’t know why they bothered showing the hidden advantage at the challenge if xander wasn’t going to find it and it had no impact on the game. 

So Peachy could have something to say to the camera as the Omniscient Narrator role he's cast himself as.

• LOL 5
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So Peachy could have something to say to the camera as the Omniscient Narrator role he's cast himself as.

The last few seasons while he's on camera he talks the entire challenge.  It would drive me nuts if I was trying my hardest to concentrate.  This year he's even worse.  It's like they got rid of the show's terrific themesong and added Peachy's neverending spew of talk.  Just neverending.  Gah!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Brynnjk said:

I sooooooooo dislike Shan.  I'm so tired of hearing her talk.  I will miss Tiffany.  I'm seeing alot of posts like this so I know I'm not alone.  I didn't like her much in the beginning but she grew on me.  I'm glad she made jury and hopefully had a good time on Survivor.

I liked her then didn’t then came around again. I’ll miss her. I actually like a few players (some I like-like, others I at least think are playing hard and so enjoy and a few that are both) so I don’t have to much wiggle room in who I want to see voted off. But I wish she’d stayed longer. I think we’ll see her again. 

• Love 3

I really liked Evvie telling Liana that on a personal level, they're fine, even though they can't really trust each other in the game anymore. I really appreciate the players who can compartmentalize the game vs. the personal relationships because that's how I'd want to play. I doubt I'd be able to pull it off, though. I take everything personally.

Something I found very interesting after the last couple of weeks showing us the closeness of Shan and Liana and the alliance of the four Black players: Shan said in this episode that Ricard was her number one. And while I think the papaya thing genuinely annoyed her (and I agree that Ricard was being socially obtuse), I also don't think that's the sort of thing you'd call an ally out on unless you felt very safe with that alliance. Plus, she and Ricard have a precedent for open communication. So it seems to me that Shan might not be all the way in her Liana alliance or the Black players' alliance after all. Meanwhile, Deshawn is getting fed up with her.

As for the vote, I think the majority alliance played it very badly. They wanted Xander to burn his idol, but for some reason got really hung up on forcing him to use it unnecessarily. Why? Given Xander's willingness at the last tribal council to call their bluff, he's either going to think everything's a bluff, or he's not going to play the idol unless he's in genuine danger. They should have just put four votes on Xander and four on Tiffany and Xander either saves himself or doesn't. Or go 5-3 to Xander and Tiffany and then if Xander does save himself, vote for Tiffany on the revote (assuming that Xander, Tiffany, and Evvie all vote for the same person). The latter is a riskier strategy since Xander has an extra vote and could thwart a 5-3-3 split by using the idol to save himself and using the extra vote to avoid a 3-3 tie. In a 4-4 split vote, Xander's extra vote would force a tie, but wouldn't be enough to save anyone on the revote.

I realize that all the advantages this season have made everyone extra paranoid (as intended), but if Xander had played his idol and Tiffany had managed to save herself from the vote somehow, then the majority alliance would have been screwed anyway. You may as well take the chance that makes mathematical sense and doesn't involve showing the people at the bottom of your alliance that they're at the bottom while there are still players whose side they could flip to. If and when Tiffany, Evvie, or Xander ask about the vote, you just tell Tiffany and Evvie to vote for Xander and Xander to vote for Tiffany. They way overthought this, although at least they weren't so inept that another one of their allies went home.

• Love 6

I will miss Tiffany. At least she is on the jury, so I'll still see her every week. I was surprised she got voted out.

Shan needs to get off my screen. I can not stand her. She's always talking and is annoying. Everything has to go her way. 

Was Xander looking for an advantage on the sit out bench? I thought for sure he would find it. Shocked he didn't find it.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

Why aren't they voting Shan out? Seems like an easy choice to me.

Xander has to be suspicious of Ricard & his "use your idol" insistence. I mean seriously dude, could you be more obvious? 

Seriously.  From what we have seen, these two have barely acknowledged each other’s existence, so why would Xander trust Ricard that he needed to play his idol?  

• Love 15

Apart from Xander, new-Tiffany, dear old Naseer, and Erica - they are a pretty unlikable bunch.

If Jeff looks at the camera and explains something really obvious or tells us what's about to happen or didn't happen one more time I am going to throw a coconut at his head.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 13

Xander looked on both sides so he knew there could be something. I think it was good to roll the dice. He still ends up looking like a nice guy to Erika and gets to maybe ingratiate himself back with the losers. Or at least get intel. 
when heather first heard her name was being put out there as the fake out, I was glad to see her go ‘hell no’ and hoped we’d get some paschal and neleh ‘flipping the game on its head when you see where you stand action’ but nope. Instead she did whatever that was at tribal. 

• Love 4

I'll  miss Tiffany.  She wasnt my fav at the beginning but I grew to like her.

Shan is so damn annoying. She's a pastor? I must have known this but somehow blocked it out.

Xander must have decided to not to take part in any challenge after being used as a human ladder a couple weeks ago. Seriously he's playing well. I have a soft spot for him. 

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 13

I like how Xander is playing now.  In the beginning he was too eager to share the news that he had an idol and an advantage, but now he's playing closer to the vest and very smartly.  Volunteering to sit out the RC so he could look for another advantage was smart, even though he missed it, and realizing it gave him time to bond with the losers.  Volunteering to give up immunity was risky, but in his mind it may have let the majority group overlook him for that TC.  And realizing Ricard had a motive for begging him to use the idol when it didn't appear (to the tv audience anyway) that he and Ricard were allies in any way.  He's smarter than he looks.

What is Xander's advantage, anyway?  I've forgotten.  Extra vote?

Ricard has a nasty streak but he's playing smartly too.  Naseer is like the anti-Ricard, very sweet but so out of his element in this game.

8 hours ago, princelina said:

[Heather] didn't even change her own mind - she voted for Tiffany.

And Tiffany voted for her anyway.  Ha!

• Love 9

I think this episode was the prelude to Shan's downfall as she was dictatorial to pretty much everyone in pretty much every situation.  She appointed herself chief negotiator for the group regarding the bag of rice (and I smiled when Xander renegotiated her negotiation and then got it down [by the way, it was really interesting that 3 of the people who stepped down all held immunity idols]).  Even when she was telling Deshawn that she wanted to hear him so she 'could learn' she kept interrupting him (and it seems obvious that Deshawn doesn't like being commanded as to what to do).

There has been some discussion as to if Shan was a male people would like her game play.  I just want to be clear that her gameplay is not what I appreciate no matter who embodies it.  The superior arrogance always grates on me no matter who is demonstrating it.  There has also been discussion about the role of a pastor-to me the pastor helps instruct congregants even though we are all responsible to read the Bible and understand through the guidance of the Holy Spirit God's principles and lessons.  Additionally, a pastor should be a comfort to others through the challenges of life.  However, when I attend a church in which the pastor is not fulfilling obligations or trying to micromanage the lives of the members, I usually move on to another church.  Back to the show, Shan is the type of pastor from whom I would move on-God gives us free will, a pastor should not try to take that away.

I really, really wish that Xander had found the advantage.  I don't like the plethora of advantages this season, but since there are, I'd like Xander or Naseer find them all.  I have more respect for Xander's play as we move forward.  I, too, grew to like Tiffany and wish Heather had gone instead (or someone else).  I think Heather wants to make big moves and saw how Jeff loved the big move at the prior tribal so thought she would try it herself.  

I don't know what happen this season, but I started out really not liking Xander or Tiffany and grew to like both of them to the point that I was sorry to see Tiffany leave.  

• Love 22