Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"Jeopardamy"! I love it!

The first time I saw her twitter handle was around her second or third win, and I wondered if she was going to win a lot of games. I thought creating the account in October and putting Jeopardy in the handle pointed to yes! Ken mentioned tonight how she does well in wordplay categories, and "Jeopardamy" fits with that.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

When my husband saw the FJ! clue, he said, the only thing of interest that happened in 1876 was Custer's last stand.

My ex would be disappointed in me. He's a big history buff and Custer was one of his favorites. But he's a jerk so whatever.

• LOL 14
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My ex would be disappointed in me. He's a big history buff and Custer was one of his favorites. But he's a jerk so whatever.

Custer or your ex? Kidding. I know Custer was a huge jerk.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

We spent a long time discussing the "U" & "ME" category before we started playing, having concluded that the ampersand meant that the response would have to include both. And when the first correct response was UNANIMOUS we spent several minutes asking each other whether there was any possibility that they were spelling it UNANIMEOUS. Of course the rest of the category showed they were either/or, but I thought it was sloppy. 

In yesterday's show I wondered whether the contestants understood the reference to malmesey. I'm very familiar with it (although I didn't get gallons as the response) but I think of it as fairly esoteric. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

My guess was Theodore Roosevelt.  Oh, well.

Mine too! I knew that he had spent a lot of time out west and that there had been an attempt on his life (though I couldn't remember whether he was in ND when it happened), so I figured the poor journalist took a stray bullet. I thought of Custer at the last second.

I knew malmsey from Richard III and the Duke of Clarence being drowned in a "butt" of it.

• Love 2

I just watched yesterday's on YouTube because unexpected family spent the night. It turns out watching/playing Jeopardy!  in the morning doesn't help if I only slept a couple of hours the night before. 

20 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

If anyone know the website Go Fug Yourself, Jessica (who runs it with Heather)is a contestant tonight! She also used write for TWOP.   She just Tweeted it. 

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's where I "know" her from - her X-Files recaps on TWoP.

How cool.  I'm still going to root for Amy's streak to continue, but if Jessica pulls off an upset, I'll be happy for her.

I really liked Jessica's presentation of self and attitude etc., and also enjoyed TWoP recaps back in the oughts.
Evidently Amy did too!! It's was a veritable virtual TWoP recap party!🥳

image.thumb.png.8a9b35fba59f6712d7752e19337334a8.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9

I had a better than average (for me) night. I got Alex Borstein, orals, I did get the DD if Gothic, but can’t recall if it was a missed clue. I ran Funny Women and Exams. I did come up with Custer for FJ as well. 

P.S. Before I knew about Jessica and her history I thought isn’t she pretty and upbeat. I’m sad for her that she didn’t do better. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a P.S.
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I'm a voracious reader (and ran the category), but I'm a voracious novelist as well. As some of you know, I plan to dedicate my next published book to this forum 🥰

So....tease us a little. Is Jeopardy in the story?

I did pretty well - I didn't run anything, but at least most of my answers were snappy and unburdened by that blankness of "I know this, what the heck is it"

Not counting Pope John Paul II - I guess they wouldn't have taken "The Pope from Poland."

I got FJ through logic (though faulty logic) - Bismark=Bismark North Dakota=North Dakota=Custer. But hey, I got it anyway.

For the "Come Back" clue, I confidently said "Lassie" - incorrect in a number of ways.

Thank you Hidden Figures.

I did not do well on the Greek category - and was really mad I missed "pachyderm" because there's a pivotal anecdote from my childhood that made a difference in my perspective throughout my life.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Almost forgot!
The highlight of yesterday's show (IMO) was Amy's story of Outdoors Bear!

--and I really appreciate the way Ken responds to the contestants' stories.

As someone who had a few Care Bears back in the day, I can say with confidence that Amy's mom did a great job with Outdoors Bear.  

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Almost forgot!
The highlight of yesterday's show (IMO) was Amy's story of Outdoors Bear!

--and I really appreciate the way Ken responds to the contestants' stories.

I love it! I actually have a homemade Cabbage Patch Doll (I think it was from a kit, because it has a plastic face, but my grandmother made her).

• Love 3
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When my husband saw the FJ! clue, he said, the only thing of interest that happened in 1876 was Custer's last stand.

Not quite. Wild Bill Hickok was famously murdered in Deadwood, South Dakota roughly six weeks after the Battle of Little Bighorn. I believe the clue mentioned North Dakota, so Hickok was my first guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got FJ through logic (though faulty logic) - Bismark=Bismark North Dakota=North Dakota=Custer. But hey, I got it anyway.

That's how we did it -- and Ken actually commented that he thought Bismarck might lead one, so I can't see how that would be faulty! 

58 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

Not quite. Wild Bill Hickok was famously murdered in Deadwood, South Dakota roughly six weeks after the Battle of Little Bighorn.

In fact I seem to recall this was a clue on Jeopardy a few months ago. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

That's how we did it -- and Ken actually commented that he thought Bismarck might lead one, so I can't see how that would be faulty!

Faulty because Little Big Horn is in Montana. Otherwise, it did the trick.

I wish I had focused on "fulfills a word" and thought, what do you fulfill?  Instead I was just trying to name nonprofits and think which included something discrete that could be accomplished many times (so not "Eradicate Polio" or "Save the Rainforest" or similar).  I also thought 1980 was supposed to be an important clue and was wondering about HIV/AIDS.  That was an interesting one.

I'm not particularly excited for this tournament.  Ken is far superior to Mayim for what's important to me in a host, and I've also been enjoying watching Amy's streak.  I'm happy to celebrate professors, of course.  I'm sure the result will be fine.  I don't find it unbearable when Mayim's hosting.  I've just found it so much better with Ken.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 14

63% / 43% / 52%

Ran Science, completely failed Canadian Sports. Missed one each in Franco-Prussian War (surprisingly) and Mascots, and two each in Trending and You Get a C.

I did as well as they did with Dennis Quaid (even got the same one right) and completely failed Dukes. Got four Hyphenated and three eponyms…

There were no Tses in the first round! There were 8 in the second round and I got none of 'em.

No FJ, either.

Safe to say this was my worst game of the week. 

28 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I wish I had focused on "fulfills a word" and thought, what do you fulfill? ... I also thought 1980 was supposed to be an important clue and was wondering about HIV/AIDS.  

I had the same thoughts.

28 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I'm not particularly excited for this tournament.  Ken is far superior to Mayim for what's important to me in a host, and I've also been enjoying watching Amy's streak.  I'm happy to celebrate professors, of course.  I'm sure the result will be fine.  I don't find it unbearable when Mayim's hosting.  I've just found it so much better with Ken.

Same. Mayim is fine as host but I like Ken so much better.

• Love 7

Ditto on FJ -- should have focussed on "fulfills", but didn't, and so did not get FJ tonight. Seems obvious in hindsight.

I did get the TS of Razor's Edge, Tarrytown, and The Big Easy.  

Is the Professor's Tournament on at Jeopardy's usual time?  Which tournament is meant to be in primetime?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, kathyk24 said:

I wonder if the break will hurt Amy?

I have also been wondering about the break for the professors' tournament interrupting Amy's momentum. Didn't Matt Amodio lose when he came back from a break? Even if so, Amy has a very different energy and style that seems like is less reliant on momentum.

• Love 1

I'm watching football tonight, so just checked the archive during halftime.

The Right Stuff being a TS bummed me out.  I like The Rookie, too, but no one knowing that one doesn't surprise me; The Right Stuff does.

I was initially a bit surprised by the Cambridge TS, since I know so little about royals that I figure if I know something, it's common knowledge, but then realized if I didn't skim the Royals thread here while next unread topic-ing my way through Everything Else, I wouldn't have known it, either.  So Primetimer is educational.

If you asked me to tell you something about the Franco- Prussian War, I'd have nothing, so I was pleased to run that category.  I also ran science, C, and trending, and only missed two each in the others, so I had a good first round.

In DJ, though, I only ran towns.  I missed three each in dukes and novels, two each in hyphenated and Dennis Quaid, and one eponym. 

I eventually correctly guessed FJ (a cousin used to be heavily involved with the organization, so that may have helped it wiggle to the front of my mind), but I'd have probably run out of time under game conditions.

• Love 4

Had to pop in here to say how impressed I am with Amy's performance. She's becoming my new #1 contestant. [I'm a Brad fangirl. Still wish he'd host...]

Amy hit a new high today, for me, when she knew Canadian sports - the Expos! - and I wish her an excellent "rest" (the tournament) and may she return in top form the same state she's in now... love this energy that's happening.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Right Stuff being a TS bummed me out.  I like The Rookie, too, but no one knowing that one doesn't surprise me; The Right Stuff does.

I liked The Rookie too. I got everything but Midway. Don't watch war movies too often. The Right Stuff was our first movie date, so it is special to us. So is The Big Easy, in a different way. Plus I'm just a Quaid fan in general - I expected a Breaking Away question. LOL.

Came up with bupkus for FJ. But of course, it all made sense when revealed. I had no idea when the foundation was started, so the date wasn't helpful at all.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I was kinda hoping for a Frequency question in the Randy Quaid movies. That's my favorite Quaid movie.

Dennis, not Randy, but that category made me realize how many Dennis Quaid movies I like - The Right Stuff and The Rookie are the only two asked about that I've seen, but I also like Undercover Blues, Something to Talk About, Playing by Heart, and Postcards From the Edge.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dennis, not Randy, but that category made me realize how many Dennis Quaid movies I like - The Right Stuff and The Rookie are the only two asked about that I've seen, but I also like Undercover Blues, Something to Talk About, Playing by Heart, and Postcards From the Edge.

Another vote for Something to Talk About, and I'd add D.O.A.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder if Quaid knows he was a Jeopardy category and no one knew anything about him.

Well, he does now....!

I knew The Right Stuff and could guess Footloose from the clue (never knew it got remade though!) 

• Love 1
On 12/3/2021 at 6:00 PM, 853fisher said:

So Mayim definitely will be hosting? I thought she was just hosting the primetime events (for now, until she clears her schedule enough to return for daytime play). Bummer, because I’ve really been enjoying Ken as host. And I say this as someone who had no problems with Mayim— I just think Ken is so much better at it.

I also thought it appropriate that he should host a Professors tournament, given that that is his nickname on The Chase.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

So Mayim definitely will be hosting? I thought she was just hosting the primetime events (for now, until she clears her schedule enough to return for daytime play). Bummer, because I’ve really been enjoying Ken as host. And I say this as someone who had no problems with Mayim— I just think Ken is so much better at it.

I also thought it appropriate that he should host a Professors tournament, given that that is his nickname on The Chase.

Yes, Mayim is the confirmed host. I wonder if this tournament was originally scheduled as a prime time event back when TPTB expected Mike Richards to be the full time host. 

Screenshot_20211205-005528_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by ProudMary
Because autocorrect seems to think Mayim's name has an X in it.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

On 12/3/2021 at 4:00 PM, 853fisher said:

I always wonder if I'm the only person on these boards who can't abide Ken Jennings and won't watch if he's hosting.  (I have no problem with Mayim.)

6 hours ago, Leeds said:

I always wonder if I'm the only person on these boards who can't abide Ken Jennings and won't watch if he's hosting.  (I have no problem with Mayim.)

I'll still watch but I much prefer Mayim!

• Love 1

Here's the page with the professors line-up for Monday (and beyond?): jeopardy.com/jbuzz/tournament-stories/meet-2021-professors-tournament-contestants

And here's the page that tells what schools they are from and fun bits about their relationships to Jeopardy!https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/tournament-stories/meet-2021-professors-tournament-contestants

I especially love that one of Monday's contestants, Gautam Hans, says, “In 3rd grade, I went as Alex for Halloween. I wore a suit and a paste-on mustache.”

• Love 5

I just wanted to mention how I've regained my enjoyment of Jeopardy!- and last night was a perfect example.  I really like Amy, not just her knowledge but her as a contestant, and the other two people although they didn't come close to her, were still pretty interesting and knowledgeable themselves.  I had no problem with FJ, surprisingly.

I greatly prefer Ken as a host, and this episode showed why.  He has the perfect temperament, and background to keep things moving along.  I'm not at all a Mayim fan, I'm not sure if I'll watch the prof tournament (although I'd like to) although I'm sure she'll be better as a host than she was previously.  

Edited by mjc570
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I was kinda hoping for a Frequency question in the Randy Quaid movies. That's my favorite Quaid movie.

I love Frequency. It's not my favorite film that he was in - but it's one of my favorites where he's one of the leading men. Hated the series though (I think they tried it twice?)

• Love 2
On 12/3/2021 at 4:13 PM, Clanstarling said:

Faulty because Little Big Horn is in Montana. Otherwise, it did the trick.

Sure, but the connection to the Dakotas was valid and intended, so the fact that the location of the battle was different isn't important. It's probably a less "faulty" method than the clues where they use "colorful" to tip us off to the fact that there is a colour word in the correct response, even if the word is grey.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:01 AM, GreekGeek said:

I knew malmsey from Richard III and the Duke of Clarence being drowned in a "butt" of it.

And for me it was heavily reinforced by The Daughter of Time (and lightly, as a "spot" instead of a "butt", by 1066 and All That). Amy's story on Friday was about having acted in multiple productions of Shakespeare plays, so she may well have been familiar as well. I find that most Jeopardy contestants seem fairly weak on Shakespeare, which is why I wondered.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
just a comma
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, stonehaven said:

"Frequency" is my favorite Dennis Quaid film, too, but guys, guys - may I draw everyone's attention to the criminally overlooked "InnerSpace?"

Back to "Jeopardy": when Ken says "We're taking a 2-week break for the tournament," does that literally mean that the tapings also break for 2 weeks? I mean technically, they could continue their tapings and just hold them for later. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

And for me it was heavily reinforced by The Daughter of Time (and lightly, as a "spot" instead of a "butt", by 1066 and All That). Amy's story on Friday was about having acted in multiple productions of Shakespeare plays, so she may well have been familiar as well. I find that most Jeopardy contestants seem fairly weak on Shakespeare, which is why I wondered.

Two of my favourite books growing up.  I need to track them down and reread them.

• Love 1