Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ABay said:

Ottawa's really pretty...as far as I remember from a visit 30 years ago. So Rideau was an instaget. Has there been a Canada question in every game recently? I remember Banff came up a few days ago.

It's not just recently. Jeopardy throws us Canadians a bone at least once a week and has for years. I assume it's because either Alex asked for some CanCon or the writers/producers wanted to tip their hat to his Canadian heritage. He would have loved the Rideau Canal question considering part of it runs next to his beloved uOttawa.

Being from Ottawa, that was beyond an insta-get for me. You could have just given me the word Rideau and I would have known that it was my hometown. Basically everything in Ottawa is named Rideau something. (Not literally but there's a river, the falls of that river, the canal, our biggest mall, a street, the home of the Governor General, a social club, a school, sports clubs, bus and LRT, stations, a hiking trail etc.) 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was a little surprised that no one knew Gerald Ford. 

I thought Amsterdam also for FJ. 

I just looked at the archive, and the clue for FJ gave me Ottawa without having to think at all, primarily because I saw it on a slideshow of world capital photos taking from very up-close angles.  I didn't guess Ottawa for the photo in that slideshow despite having visited Parliament Hill AND having taking a boat tour of the Rideau canal.

I would've gotten the Immaculate Reception clue right because the 70s era Steelers were on my radar; the 49ers clue was also an instaget because I had a thing for Joe Montana at the time.  I usually suck at football categories so 2 right is really good for me.

I actually knew 3 Omaha stumpers: the Missouri, Gerald Ford and Father Flanagan.  Color me surprised.  I also got 4 of 5 in Hut, Hut, including the triple stumper of Australia; guess it helps to read about mountain climbing.

Overall, I would've had a mediocre game.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, vibeology said:

It's not just recently. Jeopardy throws us Canadians a bone at least once a week and has for years. I assume it's because either Alex asked for some CanCon or the writers/producers wanted to tip their hat to his Canadian heritage. He would have loved the Rideau Canal question considering part of it runs next to his beloved uOttawa.

Being from Ottawa, that was beyond an insta-get for me. You could have just given me the word Rideau and I would have known that it was my hometown. Basically everything in Ottawa is named Rideau something. (Not literally but there's a river, the falls of that river, the canal, our biggest mall, a street, the home of the Governor General, a social club, a school, sports clubs, bus and LRT, stations, a hiking trail etc.) 

And what isn't named Rideau is probably named Gatineau instead.  I loved Ottawa when I was there in May and August 2010/2011.  Apparently it gets really, really cold in the winter, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I somehow managed to miss ever learning (or at least retaining) Ford's birth name, or even that Gerald Ford isn't it.  The only thing I know about him other than the circumstances under which he became president is he fell down a lot.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I would've gotten the Immaculate Reception clue right because the 70s era Steelers were on my radar; the 49ers clue was also an instaget because I had a thing for Joe Montana at the time.  I usually suck at football categories so 2 right is really good for me.

I should have known the winner of the game - but having been a die hard Raiders fan back in the day, I apparently blocked the loss out of my mind, while keeping the Steelers grudge all these years.

• LOL 1
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I somehow managed to miss ever learning (or at least retaining) Ford's birth name, or even that Gerald Ford isn't it.  The only thing I know about him other than the circumstances under which he became president is he fell down a lot.

I didn't know the name specifically, but I did know that two presidents did not go by their birth names, and the date was too early for Clinton.  I remember Ford being adopted (by a stepfather, I believe, but don't quote me on that) from the tributes on tv when he died.  He was an honorable man, no matter his political party.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, secnarf said:

It is the Rideau Canal, after all 🙄 I had hoped the mix of English and French might point contestants towards Canada, but unfortunately not.

It sure did, in my case, but I said Quebec.  Imagine my surprise when it turned out that I'd gone just a little foo French.

• Love 1

I also said Amsterdam for FJ last night.  Somewhere non-European never occurred to me.

For TS, I only got beehive, Missouri, and mitral.  Someone upthread thanked Spencer Tracy for Father Flanagan, but I have to blame Spencer because all I could think was Spencer Tracy and couldn't get the real person's name to come to me!  

Incidentally, "yurt" is the Russian word for that dwelling.  The Mongolian word is "ger".

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Someone upthread thanked Spencer Tracy for Father Flanagan, but I have to blame Spencer because all I could think was Spencer Tracy and couldn't get the real person's name to come to me!

I don't know who to blame, but I couldn't get past Bing Crosby!  I guess I was thinking of "Going My Way."  Nebraska, New York, Bing, Spencer, what's the difference?  They're all priests in movies. ;)

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

One of the facts I like about Ford is that when he became Vice President (replacing the resigning Spiro Agnew), he told his wife that the vice presidency would make a nice conclusion to his career.

Little did he know...

But he didn’t replace Agnew. Nelson Rockefeller did but chose not to run with Nixon in 1972 so Ford replaced him on the ticket. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

But he didn’t replace Agnew. Nelson Rockefeller did but chose not to run with Nixon in 1972 so Ford replaced him on the ticket. 

Agnew resigned on October 10, 1973, during Nixon's second term. According to the 25th Amendment, he had to fill the vacancy with someone approved by both houses of Congress. He chose Gerald Ford of Michigan who was serving as a member of the House.

• Useful 3

This is not my week...

63% / 60% / 62%

Only category I ran was Named for a Place. Got no Shortz.

Got two of the DDs and my TSes were Beverly Hills 90210, German Shepherds, oral stage, Connecticut, bridge, and French ambassador.

I got FJ! (Maybe helped by the fact that I was moving some stuff around on my bookshelf above my desk this afternoon, which contains the book Seeing Further: The Story of Science and the Royal Society.)

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Ford was a little clumsy, but not to that extent. His reputation as a stumbling oaf was actually instigated by Chevy Chase, whose SNL impersonations of Ford were greatly exaggerated for comic effect. Ironically, Chevy’s numerous falls left him in debilitating pain, from which he never really recovered. Karma?

• Love 5

I think even if I had remembered Royal Society, I would have worried that I was missing something.  Royal Society of...?  That might have really thrown me off.  Good thing I didn't know it at all so I didn't need to worry!  It seems the organization's original name was the Royal Society of London for Improving Natural Knowledge.

2 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

Ok I’m old & got it all mixed up. Thanks. That’s really embarrassing 😳

Not half as embarrassing as what Agnew did to be removed from office.  He's doubly reviled in our family home, since we were all raised in Maryland and are Greek on our father's side.  He really let us down!  Compared to that, an error of recollection is a bagatelle. :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

No FJ. 
I instagot the TSs of stomachache and German Shepherd.

When I was young (mid 1950s-mid 1960s) it seemed all "seeing eye dogs" were German Shepherds. I don't know if that was the case or just the PR of the time reflecting the popularity of the breed. I bet @saber5055 knows. I shall have to rely on Google (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_dog#Breeds).

Did I miss an intro to the (Will) Shortz category? Or was the lack of an explanation a kind of shout out to puzzle clues? 

About that 15-inch snow flake 🤯 🤔😕
--which, having endured snowy winters all my life and having never seen what I thought of as a snowflake that was more than teensy weensy
--it seems my definition of "snowflake" was incorrect all these scores of years. 

The usual image of a snowflake — a perfect star with six arms, the kind found on ski sweaters and holiday cards — is actually a single snow crystal. As Dr. Libbrecht of Caltech notes in his book “The Snowflake” (Voyageur Press, 2003), the word snowflake is a general term that can refer to a single ice crystal, a small cluster of them or a large aggregation that forms when crystals “collide and stick in midair, falling to earth in a flimsy puffball.”

--from the NY Times (nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20snow.html
--message me if you would like a NY Times sanctioned "gift" of this article from me.

• Useful 2
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Incidentally, "yurt" is the Russian word for that dwelling.  The Mongolian word is "ger".

I didn't know that. I wonder if it was on their list of acceptable answers, or whether it would have been one of those they ruled incorrect, and then had to revise the scores after a little research.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Ford was a little clumsy, but not to that extent. His reputation as a stumbling oaf was actually instigated by Chevy Chase, whose SNL impersonations of Ford were greatly exaggerated for comic effect. Ironically, Chevy’s numerous falls left him in debilitating pain, from which he never really recovered. Karma?

Yeah, SNL was to blame for the thought that he was excessively clumsy. Chevy should have learned how to fall, it's not rocket science, but taught in acting schools. Still, karma may certainly apply.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Did I miss an intro to the (Will) Shortz category? Or was the lack of an explanation a kind of shout out to puzzle clues? 

They did not (though since I was nodding off through most of it, I may not be the most reliable witness). I knew the name sounded familiar, but it wasn't until the category was half over that I tied it to Will Shortz. My husband's the crossword puzzle guy, so the name wasn't particularly meaningful to me.

Due to the nodding off I did not do well. My pre-Thanksgiving preparation took a lot out of me, but Thanksgiving tasks will be much lighter thanks to it. Happy Turkey day, forum folk!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't know that. I wonder if it was on their list of acceptable answers, or whether it would have been one of those they ruled incorrect, and then had to revise the scores after a little research.

Ger would not have been accepted.

Here's the clue:

In the foreground a Mongol horseman, in the back, this 4-letter type of hut

Had to be 4 letters, thus yurt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

There was no intro, other than pointing out that it ended in Z.

I won't be watching Wed-Fri's games and am just going to look up FJ rather than the entire game.  Last night's FJ was the third in a row for which I had no idea.  But today's (no spoilers, don't worry) was an instaguess that turned out to be right.  Whew; I was starting to get a complex.

• Love 1

Jeopardy for me tonight is on the affiliate's sister station.  Football on the regular station, of course.  Interestingly, my DVR didn't catch it, so I'm glad I did!  Thanks to y'all for giving me the heads up about the football situation.

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It's the reason I dreaded turning 30 back in the day.  40 and 50 were cakewalks by comparison!  I'm not even dreading 60!  

I got Illinois, and I also got Theroux, although if I'd had to spell it, I would have been in trouble.  But I got distracted when Ken gave the correct response to that one -- did I need both names?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Re: FJ---While I have at least heard of "don't trust anyone over 30", I had no clue for the answer. I came up with "Don't quote me", which I know makes no sense.

That was my first thought too, but then I figured the mention of his age in the clue was there for a reason.

• Love 4
On 11/22/2021 at 8:01 PM, secnarf said:

I do like watching her quietly dominate without the aggressive play we have seen from others

Me too.  It makes her dominance more impressive to me.

Her competitors are usually in the game until she eventually pulls away.

• Love 6

Just got home from dinner at my uncle's and watched on youtube.

70% / 53% / 61%

Well, my first round wasn't too bad. (By the standards of my week so far, it was pretty damn good, actually.) Ran In the Room and Come & Go, missed one Michelangelo. Didn't run anything in DJ but I missed only one each in Songs and Sates.

Got only one DD and no FJ. My only TSes were Michael Lewis and Mariah Carey.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm very sorry no one got Illinois 😞

👋I got the TS of Illinois!   
I lived there for half of my childhood and then for another 20 years as an adult. 

But I was watching on YouTube after too much Wegmans pecan pie at my daughter’s, so intermittently dozing off with no FJ.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got Illinois, and I also got Theroux, although if I'd had to spell it, I would have been in trouble.  But I got distracted when Ken gave the correct response to that one -- did I need both names?

That $800 clue only required the last name of Theroux

• “Last name of Paul who wrote the novel "The Mosquito Coast" & his nephew, who starred in the 2021 TV adaptation”

—which is one of many I might have known if I’d waited to watch YouTube tomorrow morning instead of greedily watching just now——like the pecan pie.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm very sorry no one got Illinois 😞

I did!! I need to celebrate all my victories, no matter how small.

5 hours ago, illdoc said:

Re: FJ---While I have at least heard of "don't trust anyone over 30", I had no clue for the answer. I came up with "Don't quote me", which I know makes no sense.

All I could think of is "Don't taze me, Bro!" which I knew was certainly not only the wrong era but also... just wrong.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It's the reason I dreaded turning 30 back in the day.  40 and 50 were cakewalks by comparison!  I'm not even dreading 60!  

It sounded to me like the two pronounce their last names differently -- one "Ther-oh" and one "Ther-oo" -- and thought that was why he said both full names.   

FJ also an instaget for me. (I've hit 60 and not thrilled, but so far it's okay.)

• Love 6

Ken did one of the few things that really get me from the host, which is he didn't point out the quote marks and rule for the "come" & "go" category. I think the first woman who chose a clue there didn't realize, because when Ken commented after her answer (which was only wrong because of the category), she made a gesture that made me think she hadn't realized.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Ken did one of the few things that really get me from the host, which is he didn't point out the quote marks and rule for the "come" & "go" category. I think the first woman who chose a clue there didn't realize, because when Ken commented after her answer (which was only wrong because of the category), she made a gesture that made me think she hadn't realized.

I definitely got the impression that Nancy missed or forgot about them.  In the past when a similar point has come up, my gut reaction has been that they all have the same chance to notice them and keep them in mind, or not.  The more I think about it, the more I think that perhaps the host should mention them all the time or not at all.  It's not tough to say "notice the quotations" like the hosts seem to do far more often than not.  Everybody gets the initial clue that way, including the viewer.

• Love 2

I was glad Ken put me out of my misery and told me who Chris reminded me of.  I thought it was really uncanny.

I know a few basic facts about "Watershed Down" exclusively because of mentions on game shows.  However, I hadn't realized it is a novel for children.  In retrospect, I suppose "anthropomorphic rabbits" should have been a clue.

• Love 2

My first thoughts were "Don't...sleep in the subway, darling" (because of the time frame), "Don't harsh my buzz" (because of the locale), and "Don't start a land-war in Asia" (because of both).

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

My channel guide lied and said football would be over at 7 so it's another youtube night for me. If I had known that I'd have watched earlier.

Resident Brad Rutter sound-alike. 😄

Best game of the week...70% / 63% / 66%

Ran Geckos and Story Time, missed one each in TV Shows, Quotes, and "Inner" knowledge. Couldn't come up with FJ but I felt dumb once it was revealed.

My TSes were Wayne Brady, Glenn Close, weed, and the missed DD of Charlemagne.

• Love 2

A favorite of children? Have any of the clue writers ever read Watership Down?

It was the obvious answer given that lapin is French for rabbit, but still, most definitely not for children. 

30 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I was glad Ken put me out of my misery and told me who Chris reminded me of.  I thought it was really uncanny.

I know a few basic facts about "Watershed Down" exclusively because of mentions on game shows.  However, I hadn't realized it is a novel for children.  In retrospect, I suppose "anthropomorphic rabbits" should have been a clue.

It's not.

• Love 10

Instaget FJ for me again tonight, and I agree, @proserpina65, Watership Down is not a children's book.  It is extraordinarily violent, considering it's about fluffy bunnies.  I really like the book, though.

TS I got include Wayne Brady, Louie, Lorraine, and Glenn Close.

It does not hurt my feelings that Amy won again today.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

A favorite of children? Have any of the clue writers ever read Watership Down?

It was the obvious answer given that lapin is French for rabbit, but still, most definitely not for children. 

It's not.

Oh my goodness yes. I remember reading that book in early college, and no way I would characterize it as “a favorite of children”

• Love 8