Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I thought of Governor’s Island for FJ. Right area, wrong island. I knew Hamilton was buried in Lower Manhattan, and that Manhattan is technically an island, but I speculated that Hamilton might not have been one of the “two out of four”

I knew router, tarantella, and Glen Campbell. Coincidentally, the tarantella is mentioned in “That’s Amore,” which we heard about in Monday’s moray question.

Congrats to Amy. I liked her, but I would also have enjoyed admiring Max’s beard for longer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, nokat said:

Since we're going there, someone thought Hawaii was just off the coast of California. Um, that's an Atlas, you might want to look at a globe.

I have to look up that movie. I read the book.

I remember being very disappointed in the movie Charly with Cliff Robertson after reading the book, but that was over 50 years ago so who knows what I would think now?

• Love 2

I ran the Italian category, inc the DD of tarantella, and Glen Campbell which made me sad that he is off so many peoples radar now. I missed FJ, but in my defense I had to be knocked out for 3 root canals yesterday and my brain wasn’t fully awake. I’m surprised that I got as many as I did. 
  Congratulations to Amy, but with five wins we will see Andrew again. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wonder if Andrew's "I am Batman" was a real answer or just a "fuck it" answer because he was so far ahead

Actually, I believe his answer was "I'm the Batman", which is wrong on so many levels.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Glen Campbell TS made me a little sad.

Me, too.  I got that one, tarantella and St. Elmo's Fire.

4 hours ago, nokat said:

@GreekGeek: 

" I would also have enjoyed admiring Max’s beard for longer."

You're not alone.

I found it gross and creepy so I'm glad I don't have to look at it again.  (Not a fan of beards in general and hate ones that aren't closely trimmed.)

I didn't like Amy so I hope she's gone soon.  Probably guarantees her a long run.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I vote yes on Max's beard.

I usually love beards, but this one is too scruffy and is a big no, but I am not loving Amy's hair either.

But it was a really good game, so not important.  

Edited by cinsays
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got skiing, pivot, Rijksmuseum and Joan Rivers.  I said "Martin Luther's theses" because I can never remember the number.

I always think "99" but then I remember that's the number of beers on the wall, not theses on the door.

17 hours ago, nokat said:

I have to look up that movie. I read the book.

Flowers for Algernon was so sad. I'm not sure if I saw the movie, but the book made quite an impact on me.

10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought of Governor’s Island for FJ. Right area, wrong island. I knew Hamilton was buried in Lower Manhattan, and that Manhattan is technically an island, but I speculated that Hamilton might not have been one of the “two out of four”

I did not get Manhattan, as I never think of it as an island, even though it is, of course, an island. I thought "rivers" for Fulton and ended up with Mackinaw island (sp?) for some reason.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got skiing, pivot, Rijksmuseum and Joan Rivers.  I said "Martin Luther's theses" because I can never remember the number.

I always think "99" but then I remember that's the number of beers on the wall, not theses on the door.

I said 100 then 99 then no that doesn't sound right and by that time it was too late. I said Liberty Island I don't really know why.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Flowers for Algernon was so sad. I'm not sure if I saw the movie, but the book made quite an impact on me.

I did not get Manhattan, as I never think of it as an island, even though it is, of course, an island. I thought "rivers" for Fulton and ended up with Mackinaw island (sp?) for some reason.

If you're thinking the island off of Michigan, it is Mackinac (pronounced as you spelled it). A nice place to visit.

To expand this a bit, there were a lot of Chippewa tribes in that part of Michigan (and still are).

Edited by nokat
  • Love 2

I have no earthly idea how I knew to say "Punic War," but I did.  That may be my luck used up for a while, but maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket to make sure. ;)

I like Amy and am glad she is doing well.  We've gone from San Francisco to Oakland with champs this week.  Maybe we'll get San Jose next and have the whole combined statistical area covered. ;)  I felt a little bad for Taylor when he was close-but-not-quite those few times, but I didn't love his story, which amounted to "I went to Kyrgyzstan and the local food wasn't very good."  It just didn't seem like a gracious thing to highlight.

The numbers homophone category was tough for me because I couldn't stop trying to place the numbers as expressed in letters into words rather than just going for the homophones, and by the time I'd correct myself, it'd be too late.  I did have to laugh, because I was wondering why they didn't show "m1iscus" on screen like all the others, only to realize we'd moved into another category.  It wouldn’t have been much of a homophone anyway.

I almost talked myself out of Scarborough Fair because I think of it as well known beyond Simon & Garfunkel so I tried to think of something else.  Fortunately, I failed.  I will always think of it as one of those traditional songs that almost anyone learning an instrument in elementary school will come across.  I wonder how many children know these songs exist beyond that context.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 5

Not terrible tonight...

73% / 70% / 70%

I ran Lunch…I might be hungry (didn't have much in the way of lunch today…). Also ran Poetry Collections and Medicine. Missed one each in Dance, Amendments, All the Wrong Places, and Design & Typography. David Bowie saved me from utterly failing Overseas Territories.

Amend the Amendment was a silly but fun category. Annoyed at myself that I couldn't think of the Bruce Springsteen song; I bring shame to my hometown. Sorry Bruce.

Got the missed clues of wontons, punishments, muscular dystrophy, leonine, Sonnets from the Portuguese, and Chris Noth (even though I've seen maybe three episodes of the Good Wife, and one of them I only watched because my cousin's band had a song in the background during a St. Patrick's Day bar scene (the band was not actually in the episode); I really only know Chris Noth from Law & Order).

No FJ, tho.

• Love 3

Football for me tonight, so I just checked the archive.

I'm a bit surprised no one figured out Taylor had simply left off the S in the punishments TS.  (I think most people join Taylor in thinking the singular is what's stated in the amendment, but once that was ruled wrong, I guess there just wasn't time for the confusion to give way to Oh, it must be plural realization, even though the replacement word, amphibians, being plural was another hint.)

Unless it was a bad picture, the wontons TS surprises me a little, too.

I didn't know the origin of "cakewalk", so that was interesting to learn.

I joined the contestants in being stumped by talc, and also missed two in fairs, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I only ran medicine.  I should have run typography, but I could not for the life of me get kerning from my brain to my mouth.  I also missed one in homophones, two in poetry, three in territories and was absolutely terrible in TV husbands, missing all but one (the only show I knew was Modern Family).

For FJ, I said the Punic Wars (which was a guess) rather than the Third Punic War (couldn't have told you how many there were), but from the wording on the archive it seems like that would be accepted?

• Love 1

How did he not get Caladonia?  I thought that was a really easy question and he also got really greedy for no reason, so it served him right. 

12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Unless it was a bad picture, the wontons TS surprises me a little, too.

My reaction as well. I know what wontons are and have never seen any that look like that...

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

and Chris Noth

I said the guy from Sex and the City

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

For FJ, I said the Punic Wars (which was a guess) rather than the Third Punic War (couldn't have told you how many there were), but from the wording on the archive it seems like that would be accepted?

It seemed like they would have given it to Taylor (?) if he had completed the word war(s) so I think so. I hope so because I also said Punic Wars with no number designation.

Very surprised no one got Kurt Russell, I've always loved the scene where Elvis pays him to kick him in the shin so Elvis has an excuse to hit on the pretty nurse. (always also loved the fact that a young Kurt Russell appeared with Goldie Hawn in The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band.)

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm a bit surprised no one figured out Taylor had simply left off the S in the punishments TS.

There seemed to be only an instant for them to realize what he'd done wrong and ring in.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did not get FJ tonight, as I expected, given the category.  I figured it was some war or the other, but had no idea which one.

Same for me. When I saw the FJ category of HISTORY I sighed.
Did Ken say something like: A favorite category???

But the TS of Chris Noth was an instaget and I actually ran the category of DESIGN & TYPOGRAPHY --which is one of my areas, so hurray that I didn't suffer from "the burden of knowledge" (Buzzy).

I also got all but one of ALL THE WRONG PLACES.
Hmmm...double entendre or irony?

ETA:   
I probably would have run “redonkulous” AMENDMENTS, but I got distracted for a moment.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

There seemed to be only an instant for them to realize what he'd done wrong and ring in.

They should have had the same amount of time there always is in such situations; when a contestant is ruled incorrect, the buzzer system resets, so the "you can buzz in now" game board lights go on again and the other two contestants' signaling devices are reactivated.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

He didn't get Batman completely done. His answer was "What is I'm the Batm".

Ah. I wasn't watching; only listening to the show so I missed seeing what he wrote.  I guess he didn't know and might have been taken down if his competitor had one more dollar with which to bet.

For those wondering if they would have accepted -just- Punic Wars, Amy tweeted this:

I had just recently read a book about Carthage, so Final was a slam dunk for me. I figured they would probably accept just "Punic War(s)", and Ken confirmed that after the show, but since I knew it was technically the Third, I didn't want to risk it.

It's my underline. She tweeted post and pre- game thoughts, today and yesterday.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, blueray said:

My reaction as well. I know what wontons are and have never seen any that look like that...

I would have said soup dumplings.

9 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Very surprised no one got Kurt Russell, I've always loved the scene where Elvis pays him to kick him in the shin so Elvis has an excuse to hit on the pretty nurse. (always also loved the fact that a young Kurt Russell appeared with Goldie Hawn in The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band.)

I’m not familiar with the Kurt Russell movie. I guessed Andy Kaufman.🙄

• Love 1
9 hours ago, dgpolo said:

For those wondering if they would have accepted -just- Punic Wars, Amy tweeted this:

I had just recently read a book about Carthage, so Final was a slam dunk for me. I figured they would probably accept just "Punic War(s)", and Ken confirmed that after the show, but since I knew it was technically the Third, I didn't want to risk it.

It's my underline. She tweeted post and pre- game thoughts, today and yesterday.

Yes I wondered as well I would have just said punic wars.  

And need I really need to know the story as to why they signed a treaty 2100 years later.  Was it symbolic or was there still an actual dispute based on those wars? 

I know it's fun to know all the answers and get them right but I like watching to learn new things too.  

• Love 3

There were a lot of TSs last night. I counted 10. Of those I got Talc, Kurt Russell, punishments, Muscular Dystrophy, Chris Noth, Leonine, and the missed DD of Sonnets from the Portuguese. I have eaten wontons, but didn’t recognize those and had no clue about FJ. 

• Love 1

13 hours ago, blueray said:

That's what messed me up - I've eaten a lot of wontons, but they didn't look like that and the Hong Kong connection made me think they were some kind of special dumpling.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But the TS of Chris Noth was an instaget and I actually ran the category of DESIGN & TYPOGRAPHY --which is one of my areas, so hurray that I didn't suffer from "the burden of knowledge" (Buzzy).

I got Chris Noth (for me, a bit of a miracle), and almost ran Design & Typography, but had a brain freeze on thumbnails, of all things.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I’m not familiar with the Kurt Russell movie. I guessed Andy Kaufman.🙄

I didn't know the movie, but I'm a little younger than Kurt and remember him from all sorts of tv and movies, and may have had a crush on him as a child (and then again when he was Snake Plesskin 😉).

I ran Amendments and almost ran three others. So it was a decent day for me - but sadly, no FJ. My husband gave me the hint of Hannibal which didn't help. I only remember the danged elephants.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

There were a lot of TSs last night. I counted 10. Of those I got Talc, Kurt Russell, punishments, Muscular Dystrophy, Chris Noth, Leonine, and the missed DD of Sonnets from the Portuguese. I have eaten wontons, but didn’t recognize those and had no clue about FJ. 

I got the Muscular Dystrophy response from having watched the Jerry Lewis telethons for years.

And I figured wontons was too obvious, so thought it must be something else.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

😃

16 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Very surprised no one got Kurt Russell, I've always loved the scene where Elvis pays him to kick him in the shin so Elvis has an excuse to hit on the pretty nurse.

I've never seen that movie, but the tv movie about Elvis starring Kurt Russell was quite the big deal when it aired.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Same for me. When I saw the FJ category of HISTORY I sighed.
Did Ken say something like: A favorite category???

It is for me.  FJ was an instaget for me.  Rome + Tunisia = Carthage and the Punic Wars.

I got both missed DDs, as well as Chris Noth (never watched The Good Wife but I know of it), leonine (although I've never pronounced it to rhyme with the number 9), punishments and Tunnel of Love (a fantastic and seriously underrated album).  Should've gotten Denmark but didn't and couldn't quite drag the Malvinas out of my brain; all I could think of was Malaguena, and I knew that was wrong.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

leonine (although I've never pronounced it to rhyme with the number 9),

I, too, learned I pronounce it incorrectly.  It's one of those words I had never heard said, only seen written, and I always pronounced it in my head as "lee-uh-neen". 

• Love 4

Well, I'm ending the week a lot better than I started it, at least.

73% / 60% / 67%

J!: Ran Essays, missed one American Music Awards (which surprised me…I even guessed Justin Bieber before seeing the video [based on the vague knowledge that he's married to Hailey-whose-last-name-escapes-me], and got Cardi B, which I really have no reason to know*; Missed Dan + Shay which was the only TS in the round, though I did have a thought that one of them rhymes with Trey so at least I was on the right track?), and one Power Company. Missed two each in the others. 

DJ: Ran Rabbits, missed one in 19th Century Stuff…only got one State Capital; I missed Tallahassee because I didn't realize what the category was going for, but other than that I mostly just didn't know which state the county was in in the first place (except Maricopa which is the only one I got). For the one that only has three counties I also guessed Rhode Island, since obviously it must be a small state, but didn't get to Delaware in time once it was ruled incorrect. My only TS was Colombia.

FJ was an instaget. :)

*Cardi B is in the ads for the upcoming AMAs but her hair is very different from the video they used so I wasn't sure if it was her or not. I also find her annoying so I tune out that ad as much as possible when it comes on. But I guessed right.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I, too, learned I pronounce it incorrectly.  It's one of those words I had never heard said, only seen written, and I always pronounced it in my head as "lee-uh-neen". 

Huh.   Canine, Feline, Bovine, Equine, Ovine, Caprine ... all those "like an animal" adjectives are pronounced to rhyme with "nine."  Why wouldn't Leonine be as well?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, blueray said:

How did he not get Caladonia?  I thought that was a really easy question and he also got really greedy for no reason, so it served him right. 

Those dumplings looked like Japanese shumai to me.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Huh.   Canine, Feline, Bovine, Equine, Ovine, Caprine ... all those "like an animal" adjectives are pronounced to rhyme with "nine."  Why wouldn't Leonine be as well?

It is.

If you mean why I'd been reading it - which, unlike feline and canine, I hardly ever come across in print and have never heard spoken - the wrong way, I have no idea.  If it were spelled lionine, maybe I'd have pronounced it correctly.

• Love 3

What was with the American Music Awards category?  I get that Jeopardy often has clues and categories to promote media properties.  But those AMA clips they ran for clues were really long.  To me anyway, they seemed longer than most video clues.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

What was with the American Music Awards category?  I get that Jeopardy often has clues and categories to promote media properties.  But those AMA clips they ran for clues were really long.  To me anyway, they seemed longer than most video clues.

It was painful.

• Love 13

Great game by Amy!  She got 32 right (including 2 DDs) and only one wrong; she dominated the game from that first DD on.  That's two lock games in a row.  I'd be happy to see her keep winning.

I didn't know Kim Cattrall was British (and the picture was much needed for that clue, so I'm glad this wasn't an archive night for me).  Granted, I don't really know anything about her other than she was one of the Sex and the City actors, but I'd never come across that tidbit.  In looking up the correct show title (I never watched it, and for some reason each of the few times I need to mention it, I can't remember if it's and or in), I went on to read that her family moved from England to Canada when she was only a few months old (thus the "British-born" wording of the clue), but studied in London at eleven before returning to Vancouver to graduate high school, then moving to NYC.  Quite the cosmopolitan.

I only ran j-e-t and power companies in the first round, but in most of the other categories I only missed one each - except for the music category, where I missed three.

I had a terrific DJ round!  I missed two capitals (I can easily rattle off the capital to any U.S. state, but since the category first required me to identify the state by the listed county, I did not sail through) and two barriers, but got everything else.

And I knew FJ, so my J! week ended on a great game. 

• Love 6

Not my best night.  I missed a few capitals knowing the state but not the city.  And I don't suppose they would have taken "Harper Lee and her friend"?

There wasn't any question of whether viewers had guessed from looking at him that Chi-Nhan is a seminarian, Ken, since it was the first thing the announcer told us about him.  Oy but that was a dopey transition.

Although I got 3/5 right, the AMA category annoyed me to no end because those clips were just way too long.  The clues were fairly easy without them anyway, so they just felt like dead air.  And call me a snob if you will, but I do think there's a difference between categories advertising National Geographic docs or similar and categories advertising the knockoff Grammys for lousy pop music.  The latter is even less welcome in my book.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7

I know this is very niche, but when Amy started speaking about having a podcast about Downton Abbey, I realised it was THE Amy of Up Yours, Downstairs!, which is a fantastic recap show of Downton Abbey, as well as other related UK costume dramas. (Their Pride & Prejudice episode was truly hilariously snarky and made me contribute to their Patreon. 😁) I can't recommend it enough. I often imagine podcast hosts Amy and her "properly divorced" spouse Kelly would have been great recappers for TWoP or Primetimer. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 6

We had a quibble with the White Album clue, though we got it. The title of "The White Album" was actually "The Beatles" even though it's commonly called the white album because of its cover. So that clue was not worded correctly.

I did fairly well. Didn't run anything, but came close in some categories.

I almost didn't get FJ in time. I knew the two authors - but could only remember their books. So I struggled to put names to the books. Got Capote first, then Lee just in time. I think I knew about their friendship from the movie Capote (well one of the biopics, there were a couple of them).

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, pancake bacon said:

I know this is very niche, but when Amy started speaking about having a podcast about Downton Abbey, I realised it was THE Amy of Up Yours, Downstairs!,

She tweeted that there was a discussion on whether to mention that in the interview portion but it was decided that it wasn't 'Jeopardy friendly'

• LOL 2
  • Love 1