Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Lady Lucy said:

I loved Ken's quip That's A Moray. I think he's a much better host than Mayim.   

The host goes over the questions and answers pre show, right? I bet he had that one loaded and ready to go.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I suspect that part of her choosing her own wardrobe is religious. Many years ago she was on What Not To Wear and discussed her desire to dress modestly. I frankly like what she has been wearing on the show, except for that gawd-awful neon yellow-green satin blouse she wears about once a week. 

Though, as others have commented, we have no clue whether the author of the article really has any inside connection with the crew, or if he's just creating clickbait. I wonder if Alex Trebek's wardrobe was chosen by the show personnel.

Dressing modestly is one thing.  

Her dress problems IMO are beyond just modesty.  

But I honestly dont care though if it's her or buzzy or Ken that ends up hosting.  She has grown on me and what she wears would not keep me from watching. 

And I would still bet on her being the long term host. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

If “insists on choosing her own wardrobe” is the worst thing the staff can say about her, then she sounds like a great co-worker. Have they forgotten about Mike Richards already? And it’s not like she’s insisting on string bikinis or clown costumes. Her wardrobe has been fine. Not to my personal taste, but fine.

🤣🤡😆

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The words "alleged" and "allegedly" are used 6 times in this very short article, and there is also the phrase: "if these reports are to be believed," which sounds to me like the author's anonymous sources were not first hand. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 9

11/16/21

67% / 60% / 62%

Got the missed clues of Matterhorn, skiing, hot tub.

Ran American Idle and Exoplanets. Thanks to the gambling hint in the Las Vegas airport clue I managed to not miss any entire categories, which is at least an improvement over yesterday. Did okay with Phrases of Turn and Opera Source Material (of all things...), missing only one in each.

Tomorrow's my dad's birthday so I will probably have to find the game on youtube later. 

• Love 2

Ken deserves props for the proper pronunciation of the national dog of Mexico, the Xoloitzcuintli. It's pronounced Show-low-ex-squint-tey or Show-low for short. I'm sure the behind-the-scenes Jeopardy team gave him the phonetic pronunciation but I was pleased to hear Ken say it correctly.

I liked Mayim okay but Ken's hosting skills are putting hers to shame.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to @ams1001's dad, one day early. Hope it's a fun one, tell him we said HI!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 11

I'm such a dolt. I said shaken, not stirred.  right movie series, wrong quote.

I got the missed clues of hot tubs, skiing, Rijksmuseum, 95 Theses, and Joan Rivers.

I got the entire category of idle right.  

I've definitely had better nights.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Took me a few seconds for FJ, thinking about what film series could possibly have 25 films, then I did the V8 head slap, and said, of course!  And fortunately chose the correct phrase.

TS I got include hot tubs, pivot, and skiing.  The contestants must have been overthinking  the clue for skiing, or perhaps they've never skied, but "snowplow" gave it away for me.

• Love 5

Boy did it ever fry my cakes that they knew Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy but not Joan Rivers!

I thought Ama Dablam looked enough like the Paramount logo that I checked whether it was the inspiration, but apparently not.  Just me?

I was rooting for Rebecca to start since I love getting away to Santa Cruz.  I can't say the challengers should've bet bolder, since they both missed DDs.

Andrew's friend should have no trouble finding a market for ice cream in the Bay Area, and it may be a good investment.  There are many little specialty places I just love around here.

40 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Me too!  Close, but no cigar.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 10

I have taken cookbooks out of the library, but I do not make ice cream.

For hot tub, all I could think of was "sensory deprivation tank" and that was 3 words, so I was stuck. Hot tub sseems quite obvious in retrospect.

I had a weird night. For about half the answers that I knew, I couldn't think of the word but was flashing on all the other details-- like I knew the show they wanted was "The Wire" but I could have told you the name of many characters, I was hearing the theme song and seeing the visuals and I could have described a lot of the plot, but I couldn't remember the name of the show. In reverse, I knew the line was from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" but couldn't remember "Douglas Adams." Usually I either know something or I don't, and there isn't some weird filing error in my brain.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The contestants must have been overthinking  the clue for skiing, or perhaps they've never skied, but "snowplow" gave it away for me.

I know.  I couldn't imagine that none of them had ever heard even these basic terms.  And Ken was right, they pretty much guessed every other winter sport.

I find Ken to be quite witty and quick and with the exception of that one overly long explanation (that I forget already) he adds interesting information.  He is also very encouraging and kind to the contestants.  Having said that, I don't like the way he looks, sounds or tweets.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to @ams1001's dad, one day early. Hope it's a fun one, tell him we said HI!

He'll be 82!!!

36 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I have taken cookbooks out of the library, but I do not make ice cream.

I have, too...I hardly cook.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Tomorrow's my dad's birthday so I will probably have to find the game on youtube later. 

Tomorrow's my Mom's birthday! (I suspect she's older than your dad - she was born in 1923!)

Tell your dad happy birthday from another November 17th child.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Took me a few seconds for FJ, thinking about what film series could possibly have 25 films, then I did the V8 head slap, and said, of course!  And fortunately chose the correct phrase

I couldn't think of any movie series with so many films at all and got stuck on "What's Up, Doc?" as my guess. (But I think too much about Hamlet and  Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead not to have got Tom Stoppard from last week.)

• LOL 2
11 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I couldn't think of any movie series with so many films at all and got stuck on "What's Up, Doc?" as my guess.

Now I'm laughing imagining James Bond/Sean Connery saying "What's up, Doc?"

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I got the TS of Matterhorn, but not until I'd said "Matterhorn" for 2 other similar looking mountains, LOL.
I think I recognized it from a jigsaw puzzle when I was a kid. 

Having had 5 wins, Andrew He is now eligible for the champion games, right? Ken didn't mention it (that we heard).

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

For about half the answers that I knew, I couldn't think of the word but was flashing on all the other details-- like I knew the show they wanted was "The Wire" but I could have told you the name of many characters, I was hearing the theme song and seeing the visuals and I could have described a lot of the plot, but I couldn't remember the name of the show. In reverse, I knew the line was from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" but couldn't remember "Douglas Adams." Usually I either know something or I don't, and there isn't some weird filing error in my brain.

My brain has become more frequently that way. I'm not sure if it's age or sleep deprivation or some combination, but I know when I used to watch Jeopardy reruns at 10:30am in the summer, I did much better. 🤷‍♀️
Maybe I should try watching recordings or YouTube the following morning. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought Ama Dablam looked enough like the Paramount logo that I checked whether it was the inspiration, but apparently not.  Just me?

I had that thought (minus the checking part). Thanks for doing the work.

Edited by opus
  • Love 1

I was surprised by the skiing TS.  I've never skied, but a $200 clue basically asking for a sport in which you turn on the snow is something I'd have confidently predicted at least one J! contestant would join me in correctly guessing.

The Matterhorn TS was unexpected as well.  I think sometimes contestant think their guess is too obvious and try to come up with something else, and I've second thought my way out of correct responses that way, too, but I'm pretty good at recognizing that for $200 clues, I should go ahead and stick with my "obvious" guess.

I didn't know a single TV family, and missed three in X, but got everything else in the first round.  I was excited to run the book titles, since I don't speak French; thankfully, they picked very well-known books, and I was always able to recognize one or two key words in French and fill in the title based on the rest of the clue.

I had a great DJ; I ran words, airports, comedians, and exoplanets.  I missed three in opera, but that's a bad category for me so I'm satisfied, and two in names.

I was initially at a loss for FJ, as I knew from 25 films it was a film series I've never seen.  Concentrating on the year, trying to figure out what dating back to that era spawned so many films, I felt like I was right on the brink of it coming to me, but James Bond didn't pop into my head (in a questioning tone, as I didn't realize there have been that many Bond films!) until time was up.  Then the three-word phrase that came to mind was "shaken, not stirred".  When the answer was revealed, I did the V8 head smack, because, yeah, that makes a lot more sense as practically the first thing the character ever said.

1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Tomorrow's my Mom's birthday! (I suspect she's older than your dad - she was born in 1923!)

Tell your dad happy birthday from another November 17th child.

Will do! (He was born in 1939.) Happy birthday to your mom! 

Edited by ams1001
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

It took me about half a second to connect the year and number of movies to James Bond, and from there immediately said Bond, James Bond....UNTIL "shaken, not stirred" popped into my head and I was agonizing over which was correct. I was 99% certain it was one of those phrases. If I was actually on the show, with money at risk, I would have been tearing my hair out trying to make the decision. I have never seen any James Bond movie, so didn't have any hope of actually knowing what the second line in the first film was.

At home, I stuck with my initial answer, but I do normally have a horrible habit of changing to the wrong answer.

@saber5055 The dog clues always make me think of you!

• Love 7

Funnily enough re "shaken, not stirred," Wikipedia says the first person to say it in the movies is Dr. No, when he offers Bond a drink.  The man himself doesn't say it until "Goldfinger," the third film.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Having had 5 wins, Andrew He is now eligible for the champion games, right? Ken didn't mention it (that we heard).

The show website states that "all 4-time and over winning players starting from 01/05/21 will be eligible for a future Tournament of Champions."  The asterisk text below indicates that eligibility does not guarantee an invitation, etc.  But barring some exceptional circumstance, yes, we will see him again.  There are 8 people on that list now that Andrew has been added, and I think 15 people usually compete.  The producers may wait until there are that many 4X winners, or add other contestants, at their discretion.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

It took me about half a second to connect the year and number of movies to James Bond, and from there immediately said Bond, James Bond....UNTIL "shaken, not stirred" popped into my head and I was agonizing over which was correct. I was 99% certain it was one of those phrases. If I was actually on the show, with money at risk, I would have been tearing my hair out trying to make the decision. I have never seen any James Bond movie, so didn't have any hope of actually knowing what the second line in the first film was.

At home, I stuck with my initial answer, but I do normally have a horrible habit of changing to the wrong answer.

@saber5055 The dog clues always make me think of you!

me too. I knew it had to be Jame's bond based on the amount of movies and when it started. However I don't think I've ever seen the first one (I've seen others). So I also narrowed it down to "Bond, James Bond or "Shaken not Stirred". I unfortunately went with the second one. Thinking he probably wouldn't just say his name as the first line of the movie lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Boy did it ever fry my cakes that they knew Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy but not Joan Rivers!

I know, right?! Joan has not been gone long enough to be that forgotten, regardless of contestant age. I was offended for her.

The 25 films made it obvious for me that the series had to be James Bond, so it was an instaget for me. And also for my husband. (Grrr. I don’t know why he can’t let me have just one thing.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Happy Birthday to @j5cochran and @ams1001’s parents today. 

I came up with hot tub (I was surprised that nobody even guessed it), skiing, Rijksmuseum, and Joan Rivers. I am also surprised and sorry that nobody knew or even guessed her. FJ was an instaget. Bond, James Bond. Shaken not stirred never even entered my mind. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, opus said:

The host goes over the questions and answers pre show, right? I bet he had that one loaded and ready to go.

and that's how it sounded to me, like a preprogrammed quip, not at all sincere, something he would spontaneously come up with.  or maybe that's just because i dislike him.

38 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I came up with hot tub (I was surprised that nobody even guessed it), skiing,

Yeah, I was still trying to get my head around what it would look like, hot tub never came to me. I did get skiing even though I've never been, it just made sense to me from the clue. Instaget on FJ, I've seen every Bond up to Skyfall, the part of the clue that said 'second line' almost threw me though.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The contestants must have been overthinking  the clue for skiing, or perhaps they've never skied, but "snowplow" gave it away for me.

I've been skiing once in my life - and it was a terrible, yet funny, experience. But if I got it, I figured one of the contestants would. But nope.

15 hours ago, Lady Lucy said:

I loved Ken's quip That's A Moray. I think he's a much better host than Mayim.   

Like Buzzy (who I still root for), Ken has a lot of experience on that stage, and from both sides of game. He's completely comfortable there and it shows. Mayim's not bad, I think she's fine. But she hasn't had enough time there to be completely comfortable.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had to think a bit, and came up with the right quote, but mr. starling said shaken not stirred, because he figured the first time Bond said it, it would have been "I'm Bond, James Bond"

17 minutes ago, cinsays said:

and that's how it sounded to me, like a preprogrammed quip, not at all sincere, something he would spontaneously come up with.  or maybe that's just because i dislike him.

Most quips on most shows are pre-programmed. That's show business, they don't leave humor to chance if they can figure out where a funny quip might work. Sincerity is an acting skill, which the best hosts have. That doesn't mean there aren't sometimes spontaneous quips that come from the moment - some of the interviews show that. But when a clue has an obvious set-up, I'm sure they come up with options if not a script.

Like yesterday, I didn't do that well, but at least I got FJ.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I had to think a bit, and came up with the right quote, but mr. starling said shaken not stirred, because he figured the first time Bond said it, it would have been "I'm Bond, James Bond"

I got it because I remember the scene.  Usually (as in Dr. No), Bond says this in response to someone saying to him "Mr....?"

The scene is on YouTube if anyone is just dying to see it.  The actual first appearance of Bond starts at about 1:15 into this clip:

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Oh, Andrew, how could you let me down like that?

No, I didn't get FJ.  I did say Staten Island, though, so I was in the right area.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:23 PM, 30 Helens said:

Go, Brad! (Sorry, couldn’t pass up the chance. 😉)

He's my first choice.  Buzzy is my second choice.

23 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought of that first but then realized that "Bond.  James Bond." had to be the answer.

I got the missed clues of hot tubs, skiing, Rijksmuseum, 95 Theses, and Joan Rivers.

I got skiing, pivot, Rijksmuseum and Joan Rivers.  I said "Martin Luther's theses" because I can never remember the number.

23 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I just googled it, and this article about the evolution of the logo was fascinating:

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/big-screen/2013/may/06/paramount-logo-history/

On 11/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Article I ran across about mayim not fitting in behind the scenes, hesitant to hire her long term for this reason.  Specifically say she picks her own wardrobe and is insistent in this. 

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/why-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-allegedly-isnt-fitting-in-while-working-on-the-game-show

That article cites OK Magazine! about Mayim wanting to choose her wardrobe and the reaction to it.  I'm not sure I'm going to put much behind OK Magazine's! reporting, especially since I believe Mayim has been pretty open about wanting control over her wardrobe choices.  Or at least has strong opinions on what she wears.  So it's an easy lie to make up because it is rooted in previous reporting.

And the article they link that claims Jennings won't be permanent host doesn't even make that claim at all. 

I was torn between those too as well and then I figured it was probably Bond, James Bond because it was the second line said.  I can't think of many movies that would open with someone ordering a drink.

I wonder if Andrew's "I am Batman" was a real answer or just a "fuck it" answer because he was so far ahead.

11 hours ago, cinsays said:

It was a corny joke.  Equally believable to me as a pre-planned quip as an adlibbed quip.  I think the "diminishing returns" joke he made last week was both a better joke and more likely to have been adlibbed since it was so situational to everyone bombing that category.

I was happy for Amy.  I was rooting for her. 

• Love 3

Somehow I got FJ. 
My brain went to "Long Island is not an island but Manhattan is an island" and then my brain stopped.

There was one question (possibly the last?) that Amy delivered by looking straight into the camera which made me really glad when she won. 

Edited by shapeshifter
"an" not "and"
  • Love 4

I would have been irritated if Andrew had won, because Amy seemed like a significantly better player. Andrew was lucky that he got an easy Daily Double. (I know jack about science, and yet I knew it was ionization.)

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I thought Zeke/Ezekial was a shockingly easy clue for $1000.

It was Bible-related and I still got it so, yes, it was too easy. LOL 

• Love 3

The breakfast TS surprised me; I guess dessert would have also fit as a meal in which you have coffee and something with crumbs, but breakfast was the easy guess and none of them took it.  (Maybe another one where they thought it was too obvious?)

The Glen Campbell TS made me a little sad.

I don't think just "Hill" should have been accepted for the "'The Miseducation of her'" clue since it's her full name in the album title.

I missed two each in Italian and machines, but got everything else in the first round (yes, including all the biblical names).

I didn't run a single category in DJ, but I got close in all of them, missing one each in three and two each in the other three.

I got FJ almost immediately, and have no idea why.

• Love 5

In the 1968 movie Charly (based on the story "Flowers for Algernon"), a tour guide said that Boston's Prudential building was the tallest building in the continental United States. Someone asked "What about the Empire State Building?" The guide replied, "Manhattan is an island."

Edited by Driad
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Driad said:

In the 1968 movie Charly (based on the story "Flowers for Algernon"), a tour guide said that Boston's Prudential building was the tallest building in the continental United States. Someone asked "What about the Empire State Building?" The guide replied, "Manhattan is an island."

Since we're going there, someone thought Hawaii was just off the coast of California. Um, that's an Atlas, you might want to look at a globe.

I have to look up that movie. I read the book.

• Love 2