Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 2/1/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

Whoopi just said "I hope you're the new face of the GOP."

And now I'm disgusted. Did they listen to what Kinzinger said outside of being against Trump? This just reminds me of Meghan's love or Navalny. People are being uninformed and stupid by praising bad people because they are against bad people.

Kinzinger seemed to want to go back to the days of sending Americans out to war and have them die for their country. Not for freedom, but oil and other resources. That's deplorable. He even said this, so why would Whoopi be for this? Why didn't Joy or Sunny say anything?

I'm so annoyed by this segment.

Same here, the ladies are so ignorant on certain subjects it is maddening.  Must everybody praise John McCain to the heavens?  

• Love 17
16 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

And now I'm disgusted. Did they listen to what Kinzinger said outside of being against Trump? This just reminds me of Meghan's love or Navalny. People are being uninformed and stupid by praising bad people because they are against bad people.

This has become a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. No they are not your friend.  If and hopefully when Trump is taken out of the equation people like Kenzinger are going to go right back to what they were they doing and it is not going to be reaching across the aisle.

• Love 14

Amazon had had numerous scandals with the more recent one being how they stole money from their drivers. They've been trying to restore their image, so it's funny how the View got a paid spot to talk about how great Amazon is by providing a 40k scholarship. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

On Monday's show, both Whoopi and Joy said "CECILEY" instead of "CICELY". Joy only said it once, but Whippy said it consistently! Anthony Anderson said it as "CECILY" the first two times and then "CICELY" on his third mention. There IS a difference! Shades of KAmala, and KaMAla. The most unforgivable butcher was Whippy Goldstein who had all weekend to learn the name of someone she was going to pay tribute to.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 13

Whoopi thinks there should be insurance & tax deductions for pets!!  What about food for the pets & their starving owners that are standing in breadlines from one end of the country to the other.  Out of touch much???  Give.me.a.break!!  Absolutely idiotic!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, pachebo said:

On Monday's show, both Whoopi and Joy said "CECILEY" instead of "CICELY". Joy only said it once, but Whippy said it consistently! Anthony Anderson said it as "CECILY" the first two times and then "CICELY" on his third mention. There IS a difference! Shades of KAmala, and KaMAla. The most unforgivable butcher was Whippy Goldstein who had all weekend to learn the name of someone she was going to pay tribute to.

Whippy Goldstein, you made my day!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 2/1/2021 at 10:36 AM, Axie said:

Sweet tribute to Cicely Tyson.  I'm so happy Megaphone didn't say something like Ms. Tyson had such an affection for John McCain.

Ugh.  Anthony Anderson.  In the beginning I loved Blackish but the character of Drew eventually turned me off to it.   Now, the more I see of AA, the less I think he's acting.

His character is Andre/Dre.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I know you didn’t mean anything offensive, but as a 90’s child whose favorite show growing up was SBTB, not to mention Dustin’s incredibly young age, I found his death extremely sad and tragic. I loved Screech. 

2 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

And as I mentioned above - no, Diamond is not in the league of award winning actors. However, the fact that he was part of the 90s culture, a fan favorite of SBTB, and died so quickly and so young certainly deserves some kind of recognition.

I think there's a difference between something being noteworthy/newsworthy and recognition.  On his own merits, I'm not sure Dustin Diamond deserved recognition.  That's not just an opinion on his work, but if I'm being brutally honest, on his life.  That's not to demean his life, but certainly it would be an odd assertion to pretend he had the kind of life that Cicely Tyson or Chloris Leachman did.  His life was more of a cautionary tale by the end than anything else.

But the very negatives in his personality and his life that added to that make his death newsworthy.  That's a totally different thing than him being influential enough to deserve recognition.   If this show has pretenses to being at least faux-news, at least in terms of covering things that are culturally relevant on that day (in addition to politics) then certainly his death was important to talk about.

The flip side of that debate though would be the elevated importance our society places on celebrity. To place any context on his death beyond him merely being famous and dying young--and by disease but in a situation where he seemingly had few friends left--might be a lot to expect from the likes of The View. Maybe it was better they didn't even try. Otherwise it would have just been "this famous guy died". 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, pachebo said:

I wonder what she would have called her to her face if the Zoomed Book release interview had happened the day of Ms. Tyson's death? 

• Love 2

1 hour ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I wish she was trying to say that, but it didn't come across that way at all.  Her last question was 'How do we fight racism?' She tied everything in concerning Tyson's book with racism. It was appalling.

Her point was that we can't end racism if we stay in our parallel bubbles.  A lot of racism is based on ignorance.    She used Ms. Tyson's death as an example.   Cicely Tyson is a legend for a variety of reasons different from Cloris Leachman or Dustin Diamond (shudder... that his name is even in this discussion).   Those reasons go beyond her just being Black.   Not being aware of those reasons is an example of the bubble Anna referred to.   

• Love 7
3 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

As I said in my post above - no, they have not. And she is tied with Julia Louis Dreyfuss as winning the most Emmys, and has won an Oscar. She's been on Broadway, as well. And not a mention of her - all the attention has been on Tyson for some reason.

And as I mentioned above - no, Diamond is not in the league of award winning actors. However, the fact that he was part of the 90s culture, a fan favorite of SBTB, and died so quickly and so young certainly deserves some kind of recognition.

I really don't pay attention to who recognizes whose death and who doesn't. But since it's being discussed and since Ana mentioned that she noticed that it was only black celebrities paying tribute to Cicely Tyson, I decided to research. I ran a hashtag search on Cloris Leachman. Went to the accounts of the first 20 verified white celebrities that paid tribute to Cloris and I saw that all but 2 (Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Julia Louis Dreyfuss) paid tribute to Cicely too.

Ana only did Cicely, she didn't do Cloris.....parallel lives 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Blissfool
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Her point was that we can't end racism if we stay in our parallel bubbles.  A lot of racism is based on ignorance.    She used Ms. Tyson's death as an example.   Cicely Tyson is a legend for a variety of reasons different from Cloris Leachman or Dustin Diamond (shudder... that his name is even in this discussion).   Those reasons go beyond her just being Black.   Not being aware of those reasons is an example of the bubble Anna referred to.   

Right.  In addition to being an amazing actress with a long and varied career, like Leachman, Tyson was also the 2nd black woman to be nominated for the Best Actress Oscar (she shares that accolade with Diana Ross, they were both nominated in 1972).  She was also the oldest actress to win Best Actress in a Drama Tony.  She was known for only taking roles that would make people proud.  She received the President Medal of Freedom from President Obama in 2016.  She was special on many levels, if only Whoopi and Joy could've pronounced her fucking name right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

When Ana said the person at the book store and whoever she sent to the book store didn't understand what the big deal was about Tyson's book my immediate thought was they were young people. I didn't think they didn't understand not because it was a racial thing but a generational thing. My son who is bi racial wouldn't know who Cicely Tyson is.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16

Shut up, Twatty. Please provide when you were part of a press pool or worked under any administration. Just stop with "majority of reporters are liberal with a liberal bias" already.

Sara's response to that ridiculous voice over about how the Biden administration is now lying and not being transparent, to what the actual topic was about, was the best.

Please. Like Rep. Kinzinger wasn't a good soldier until November 7. He just comes off so disingenuous. And he totally lost me with the MASSIVE TONGUE BATH to Her SOURPUSS TWATNESS and mentioning her father every other sentence.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

When Ana said the person at the book store and whoever she sent to the book store didn't understand what the big deal was about Tyson's book my immediate thought was they were young people. I didn't think they didn't understand not because it was a racial thing but a generational thing. My son who is bi racial wouldn't know who Cicely Tyson is.

Me too. My 20 year old asked me who was this lady that she was seeing so much of all of a sudden. 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I really don't pay attention to who recognizes whose death and who doesn't. But since it's being discussed and since Ana mentioned that she noticed that it was only black celebrities paying tribute to Cicely Tyson, I decided to research. I ran a hashtag search on Cloris Leachman. Went to the accounts of the first 20 verified celebrities that paid tribute to Cloris and I saw that all but 2 (Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Julia Louis Dreyfuss) paid tribute to Cicely too.

Ana only did Cicely, she didn't do Cloris.....parallel lives 🤷🏻‍♀️

I"m going to push back a little.  Ana's comments had nothing to do with Cloris.  It was about her own personal bubble.  She mentioned celebrities and her also her personal social media friends.    I'd imagine that her own bubble also included plenty of references to Cloris Leachman.  But she noticed that her own personal bubble was different for Cicely Tyson.   A better example/test would be to do the same with one's own social media bubble.   

7 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

When Ana said the person at the book store and whoever she sent to the book store didn't understand what the big deal was about Tyson's book my immediate thought was they were young people. I didn't think they didn't understand not because it was a racial thing but a generational thing.

It's Ana's story.   If she thought it was generational she could have said so.   So much energy trying to disprove something we all know is still a thing.....  Very tiring to be told you are mistaken on your own life experiences.   

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I"m going to push back a little.  Ana's comments had nothing to do with Cloris.  It was about her own personal bubble.  She mentioned celebrities and her also her personal social media friends.    I'd imagine that her own bubble also included plenty of references to Cloris Leachman.  But she noticed that her own personal bubble was different for Cicely Tyson.   A better example/test would be to do the same with one's own social media bubble.   

It's Ana's story.   If she thought it was generational she could have said so.   So much energy trying to disprove something we all know is still a thing.....  Very tiring to be told you are mistaken on your own life experiences.   

I understand this is how Ana saw things. I'm not discounting what she said at all. I am saying what my perspective is.

13 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Not sure if it's race or generational or because I'm Canadian or what but I did notice on my FB a fair number of tributes to Cloris Leachman (mainly referencing her being Phyliss on MTM) but I didn't see anyone link to anything to do with Cicely Tyson.  I don't think though it's a sign of anything more than CLoris Leachman being better known in Canadian pop culture thanks to MTM and her Mel Brooks movies that still get a lot of air play.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4

I get that knowing questions ahead could be used for spin.  But it also see that this could allow them to get the answers to respond in the briefing...sort of what sunnys legal note said.  I disagree that it’s less transparent as some said...let’s face it, the press secretary is expected to have info on multiple topics at her fingertips and that’s just not always possible.  Having an idea ahead of time of what the reporters will want to know about seems logical to me.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Where exactly is the ignorance in Ms Tyson's death that she's referring to ? From the fact that she was reading tributes only from her black friends and black celebrities ? From the 'white and Hispanic neighborhood' not buying out her book ? From the fact that the cashier and her errand girl were not aware of the reason(s) the book was suddenly selling so fast ? Those were the three (rather lame) points she brought up.

As I said, we don't have to look too far to see racism in this world. Trying to make something out of Tyson's death was not one of them (IMO).

BTW, Cloris Leachman is a legend for a variety of reasons different from Tyson. No one has brought her up yet. (And I agree about Diamond, but he did have his fans among the show's demographics - I'm sure Sara is one of the SBTB fans).

Also, the well-respected legend Hal Holbrook died a few weeks ago, and his death was publicized yesterday. Not a word from the panel. I guess Leachman's and Holbrook's death were 'less important' than Tyson's.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

I get that knowing questions ahead could be used for spin.  But it also see that this could allow them to get the answers to respond in the briefing...sort of what sunnys legal note said.  I disagree that it’s less transparent as some said...let’s face it, the press secretary is expected to have info on multiple topics at her fingertips and that’s just not always possible.  Having an idea ahead of time of what the reporters will want to know about seems logical to me.  

And I'll take a page from The West Wing (yeah, yeah, fiction, but so much of it imitated real life, so there!)--when CJ and Danny, the reporter from the press pool, would have conversations, and he would give her a heads up what was coming, or she would ask, and most times he wouldn't tell her, but sometimes he would.

By letting her know, she would know to get the answers and not look like the fool, which happened a time or two because she wasn't informed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Axie said:

Like I said, I found him so offensive I stopped watching years ago. So....

That's cool. There are so very few leading black men/characters on primetime so I just wanted to correct the character's name for the record.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Shut up, Twatty. Please provide when you were part of a press pool or worked under any administration. Just stop with "majority of reporters are liberal with a liberal bias" already.

She was basically saying journalists who just happen to be liberal/Democrats (note to Meghan they aren't the same thing) can't do their job objectively.  Does she think all those journalists at Fox do their job objectively?

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

-when CJ and Danny, the reporter from the press pool, would have conversations, and he would give her a heads up what was coming, or she would ask, and most times he wouldn't tell her, but sometimes he would.

That is what professionals with mutual respect do. But after the past four years I think we know that was in short supply.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sara's response to that ridiculous voice over about how the Biden administration is now lying and not being transparent, to what the actual topic was about, was the best.

Please. Like Rep. Kinzinger wasn't a good soldier until November 7. He just comes off so disingenuous. And he totally lost me with the MASSIVE TONGUE BATH to Her SOURPUSS TWATNESS and mentioning her father every other sentence.

I almost lost my mind when Her Twattiness tried to pass herself off as an official spokesperson for any campaign or administration!!!  Who are these politicians she's referring to?  Like anyone would ask her for official advice.  If I recall correctly, she was on the periphery of her father's '08 presidential campaign.  She had no official title and I believe she freaked out when she wasn't told her father had chosen Palin as his running mate.  So much for being on the inside.  She was then sent on her way on a bus tour or something.  It really pisses me off that she continues and is allowed to spew misinformation on a daily basis.  

Kinzinger's ass kissing was nauseating as hell.  The canonization of Her Father rolls on.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

So this guy is praising Meghan's father™ over and over again...but he also said that Meghan's father™ was for the Iraq war before anyone and he was in the right.

The Iraq war was a huge mistake, those for the war are warmongers who destroyed a country, killed millions of people all for the sake of oil. Is this really something praiseworthy? Doesn't this make Meghan's father™ and this person horrible people? I guess he's trying to say that Republicans need to go back to this...but he's not doing himself any favours.

With The View ladies, I guess they care more about who's polite and was nice to them, not their politics. And are they scared to speak the truth because Nutmeg is on the show? I don't care a ton what people's politics are, until they're for killing innocent civilians over nothing. In my book it does make them horrible people. 

3 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

Whoopi just said "I hope you're the new face of the GOP."

Kinzinger seemed to want to go back to the days of sending Americans out to war and have them die for their country. Not for freedom, but oil and other resources. That's deplorable. He even said this, so why would Whoopi be for this? Why didn't Joy or Sunny say anything?

I'm so annoyed by this segment.

Me too! There are a few things that consistently annoy the hell out of me about this show and have for the last few years. The first is Nutmeg, and then it's the constant worship of Nutmeg's dad. I could go on and on about this, but don't want to get OT. Another thing that annoys me is the lack of principles among the women, including ones I like. We get it, you can't stand "you know who" and the current political climate, but there are lots of people and issues that deserve the same vitriol (or worse). For those sick of mainstream media, I really recommend Kyle Kulinski's Secular Talk channel on YouTube. He has principles and doesn't pretend warmongers are saints. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I didn't like him. He seemed awfully full of himself.  Like he wants a pat on the back for doing the right thing.

I’ll give him a pat on the back since none of his colleagues have the guts to say the truth. I’m hoping he will start a wave. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I’ll give him a pat on the back since none of his colleagues have the guts to say the truth. I’m hoping he will start a wave. 

Not to be cynical, I wonder what he is after by going against his party...

18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I know you didn’t mean anything offensive, but as a 90’s child whose favorite show growing up was SBTB, not to mention Dustin’s incredibly young age, I found his death extremely sad and tragic. I loved Screech. 

I recall seeing him on a celebrity diet/workout show, where he was a jackass, and all the other celebrities hated him.  there were also stories about a sex tape, arrests for violence, and some other stuff.   Screech might have been endearing to some (?)  but the actor was not a nice man.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I didn't like him. He seemed awfully full of himself.  Like he wants a pat on the back for doing the right thing.

Ditto. I know it's his own party's  phrase, but there is such a soft bigotry of low expectations for them right now. 

• Love 5

I was hoping for some more substantive questions for Kinzinger...and was of course let down. They should have asked him how he feels about his re-election chances in 2022 considering the upcoming redistricting in Illinois and if he thinks Democrats in the legislature may try to gerrymander him out.

Kinzinger's voice actually sounds like Jonathan Karl's to me. I don't care for either.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Not sure if it's race or generational or because I'm Canadian or what but I did notice on my FB a fair number of tributes to Cloris Leachman (mainly referencing her being Phyliss on MTM) but I didn't see anyone link to anything to do with Cicely Tyson.  I don't think though it's a sign of anything more than CLoris Leachman being better known in Canadian pop culture thanks to MTM and her Mel Brooks movies that still get a lot of air play.

I didn't understand what Ana was talking about when she said 'bubbles'. My Canadian radio station played a half hour interview with Cicely Tyson a few days before she died on the show 'q, and then played excerpts from it for the three days following her death and the host, a white guy called Tom Powers, seemed pretty broken up over her death. I couldn't understand how someone could not know about her, but maybe it's about which bubble you're in after all. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I didn't understand what Ana was talking about when she said 'bubbles'. My Canadian radio station played a half hour interview with Cicely Tyson a few days before she died on the show 'q, and then played excerpts from it for the three days following her death and the host, a white guy called Tom Powers, seemed pretty broken up over her death. I couldn't understand how someone could not know about her, but maybe it's about which bubble you're in after all. 

Yes, I feel the same way, Canadian who is very aware of Cicely Tyson's work and accomplishments. I am a huge fan. And when I hear that young people didn't know who she was? I am WTAF? Even if younger people are not paying attention to history, she was on How to Get Away With Murder, and she was stellar, of course.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Not to be cynical, I wonder what he is after by going against his party...

I think this answers your question.

10 hours ago, mispickel said:

I was hoping for some more substantive questions for Kinzinger...and was of course let down. They should have asked him how he feels about his re-election chances in 2022 considering the upcoming redistricting in Illinois and if he thinks Democrats in the legislature may try to gerrymander him out.

I think he is just trying to survive politically.  

Meghan doesn’t take a breath for 5 minutes but makes sense. Joy goes off track as usual. Whoopi babbles. Sara is the most articulate of the bunch. Whooda thunk?

And Sunny summarizes it perfectly.

Did Hannity really go off on MTG?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

Sunny's summation of the GOP was amazing. This is the Sunny that I have always enjoyed and always will.

I really loved Whoopie's passion when she was talking about the Black men who fought in World War 1 for a country that despised them.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Missy said they "let Liz Cheney vacillate" ... bwahaha ... she's so articulate!!!

I really, really, really hope someone is keeping a list of all these malaprops.  Please let it be so.  P.S.  There was another one right after vacillate, but I've already forgotten.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I physically cringe whenever I heard Meghan say "crap" on this show, which seems almost multiple times a week if not daily. I barely say that word in my daily life (you know, because I'm not 11 years old), let alone when I'm at work. She is so unprofessional.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I physically cringe whenever I heard Meghan say "crap" on this show, which seems almost multiple times a week if not daily. I barely say that word in my daily life (you know, because I'm not 11 years old), let alone when I'm at work. She is so unprofessional.

At least she tends to use childish words correctly, unlike "vacillate"

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I squeed when Whoopi and Brandy announced when their Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella is coming to Disney+ next week! IT IS ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!

So exciting!!!   I loved that version of Cinderella, along with the earlier version with Lesley Anne Warren, Stuart Damon, Ginger Rogers and Walter Pidgeon (that version is available on a streaming network called "Tubi" - I've watched it a few times.)

Brandy is a lovely woman and has grown up before our eyes.  Hard to believe she is 41!!  

• Love 6