Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05. Melissa M's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Eldemarge said:

Do people really look around stores and restaurants to judge fat people and their food?  I never do this so I figured that wasn't actually A Thing and just paranoia (but I could be wrong!).  

It’s a thing. 
I was never in the 600lb range, but 260ish, definitely was self-conscious and felt starred at. Sometimes openly mocked or yelled at. 

2 minutes ago, Eldemarge said:

Do people really look around stores and restaurants to judge fat people and their food?  I never do this so I figured that wasn't actually A Thing and just paranoia (but I could be wrong!).  

There are all sorts of judgy people in the world. I don’t think the participants are just paranoid. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Guide days it's called "Obesity Med", follows the stories of 2 morbidly obese patients.   I guess we all love watching  ppl fatter than us so we can think geez I'm fat but not THAT fat.  Just like we love hoarding shows too.  Gee I'm messy & cluttered, but not like THAT!

I have not been able to watch the hoarding ones.  I am not cluttered, but I am messy and my Mom always scolded me about it...  Just like I would never be able to watch anything about eye diseases.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Per an Amarillo paper  

AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — Two doctors here on the High Plains, will be appearing on TLC’s new pilot show “Obesity Med.”

“It’s there journey of their struggles with weight and how they found themselves in a situation that they felt somewhat hopeless and watching them kind of on their journey particularly James going through surgery and how it changed his life,” Dr. Bleu Schniederjan, physician at Panhandle Weight Loss Center, explained.

The show will also feature two patients and their journey to a healthier and happier life, something the doctors said they pride themselves on doing.

“We deliver very safe high quality surgery but also couple that with education when it comes to health and wellness specifically nutrition,” Dr. Bo Neicho, stated.

The center is not just for changing the way you eat but also the way you think.

“One of the hardest struggles that our patients consistently face is what they bring in from their past,” Dr. Bo Neicho, said

Doctors at the center are hoping this show will help encourage others to live a healthier lifestyle.

“From the show you can expect to see us walk alongside these patients and participate in the education process and also be very focused on helping them get to surgery and recover from surgery,” Dr. Neichoy, stated.

This sounds like the old 'Big Medicine.'  Dr Davis does something similar now - offering nutrition (mostly vegan since he became vegan awhile back) along with the surgery. 

• Love 2

Glad Melissa bothered to cook that food so she and Shay stabbed could stab it repeatedly with their forks but never put in their mouths.

2 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Hell yeah.  One comes to mind, that hideous woman with the absolutely hideous giant warty belly that hung to the floor in Lola's office.  Last season. 

Those are the ones who won’t lose weight and utter the phrase of doom, “I’m going to show Dr. Now.” (A sure sign of failure.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, DropTheSoap said:

It’s a thing. 
I was never in the 600lb range, but 260ish, definitely was self-conscious and felt starred at. Sometimes openly mocked or yelled at. 

Wow, that's crazy.  I'm sorry that happened to you!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Guide days it's called "Obesity Med", follows the stories of 2 morbidly obese patients.   I guess we all love watching  ppl fatter than us so we can think geez I'm fat but not THAT fat.  Just like we love hoarding shows too.  Gee I'm messy & cluttered, but not like THAT!

CAUGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Whose house is this? When I first started watching, Melissa lived in a hovel and now she's kinda living in an Ikea showroom.

4 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Asparagus - yum 

I've been roasting asparagus in my air fryer and its life changing. I eat asparagus every other day now. 

4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I can't even remember the last time I went to a grocery store when I wasn't wearing a mask.

I can't remember the last time I was in a grocery store. I have everything delivered. I've been out of the house maybe half a dozen times since March. I am NOT fooling around. 

• Love 10
Just now, Giant Misfit said:

Whose house is this? When I first started watching, Melissa lived in a hovel and now she's kinda living in an Ikea showroom.

I didn’t see a hovel in the first scene. Her toilet seat was damaged but the rest of her house looked normal. 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Eldemarge said:

I imagine it happens. I have a very fit and active friend who is divorced. Since then she had posted daily photos of ‘getting dinner’ with her kids. It is always McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc. The kids are huge. I admit I am silently judging her as the kids have gotten huge and have shit eating habits....she is buying their love with food. I am not perfect so I keep my opinions to myself.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 4

I don't think she lost anywhere close to her 100 pound goal - surely someone losing a third of their body weight would look noticeably different? - but I will guess her 30month loss to be 50-60 pounds. 

• Love 2

BINGO!  Sounds like there was some type of sexual.abuse in her past.  That's dreadful, she shouldn't feel ashamed or guilty about any of that.  Agree with Dr. Paradise, but it's incredibly difficult to do.  Kudos to Melissa for doing both the physical & psychological  work.  

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Eldemarge said:

Yes, they do. Some people are just assholes. 

• Love 6

I'm a little behind. I had to transfer my wine to my adult sippy cup. I got my first dose of the Covid vaccine yesterday, and my wine lifting arm is sore today.

I see Melissa and Shay eating at an actual table. That's a big step up. I hope she' successful. She seems like a nice person and seems to be putting effort into making changes.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Eldemarge said:

Thanks. It bothered me when I was younger. Now that I’m older (and smaller), I don’t let the idiots bother me. But due to losing size, I feel like an imposter around thinner people. It’s weird. (Although I’ve definitely had some Covid gain...need to work on my eating habit.)

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Eldemarge said:
4 minutes ago, DropTheSoap said:

It’s a thing. 

A few years ago, I was walking and some guy yelled out his car window and called me a ‘disgusting fucking cow.’ 
And I’m nowhere near as big as the poundticipants. 
It’s a thing. 

Even if she hasn't lost 100 pounds, I hope Dr. Now will do the surgery if she's ready for the move. She's trying and is doing everything he asks, and she's not simply relying on the surgery and hoping it will be a magic pill.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I've been out of the house maybe half a dozen times since March. I am NOT fooling around. 

If I was just in the house all the time, COVID would have been the least of my problems as my mental health would have been somewhere in the 'homicidal psychopath' territory.   When it was warm, I took long walks every day, 3-5 miles a day along the river.  Since it cooled down, I don't go every day, but a couple times a week still. 

• Love 4

I can't remember the last time I was in a grocery store. I have everything delivered. I've been out of the house maybe half a dozen times since March. I am NOT fooling around. 

I'm still going to work every day. Our office has 13 employees. Our boss does ask us to wear masks when we're moving around the office. I have gotten so used to wearing mine I tried to take a sip of coffee one day with my mask on. Needless to say it didn't work!

• LOL 10
4 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I've been roasting asparagus in my air fryer and its life changing. I eat asparagus every other day now. 

The air fyer is life changing 😍

• Love 2

I'm all the more impressed because she lives alone. She doesn't have anyone there to help push her.

On the other hand, she doesn't have anyone there to hold her back, either, like so many with less-than-supportive family members.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

If I was just in the house all the time, COVID would have been the least of my problems as my mental health would have been somewhere in the 'homicidal psychopath' territory.   When it was warm, I took long walks every day, 3-5 miles a day along the river.  Since it cooled down, I don't go every day, but a couple times a week still. 

As always, my dogs are my salvation. They need to be walked every day. So, I am out of the house and walking him every day. The only break I get is if it rains.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Giant Misfit said:

That was the bathroom you saw.  Toilet seat was unspeakable.  Floor had suspicious stains too.  Rest of apartment beautiful.  Poor thing obviously can't bend down in there to scrub.  

She lives in Florida, masks optional.  Yet lower infection rate than states with severe restrictions.  Interesting. ...

• Love 5
1 minute ago, mmecorday said:

I'm still going to work every day. Our office has 13 employees. Our boss does ask us to wear masks when we're moving around the office. I have gotten so used to wearing mine I tried to take a sip of coffee one day with my mask on. Needless to say it didn't work!

Through the mask ?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ShoePrincess said:

I'm a little behind. I had to transfer my wine to my adult sippy cup. I got my first dose of the Covid vaccine yesterday, and my wine lifting arm is sore today.

I see Melissa and Shay eating at an actual table. That's a big step up. I hope she' successful. She seems like a nice person and seems to be putting effort into making changes.

Good for you on the vaccine.  On Tuesday I was one of 200,000 who registered for the MN 65+ lottery.  I didn't make it this week, but I'm registered for the future.

• Love 6
Just now, WhitneyWhit said:

Even if she hasn't lost 100 pounds, I hope Dr. Now will do the surgery if she's ready for the move. She's trying and is doing everything he asks, and she's not simply relying on the surgery and hoping it will be a magic pill.

I don't think she should move for a full year.  It would seem like  she could stay 2-3 munts at an extended stay hotel and then return to Florida and her nice apartment.  She could still video chat with Drs Now and Paradise.  Then maybe go back for skin surgery.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

A few years ago, I was walking and some guy yelled out his car window and called me a ‘disgusting fucking cow.’ 
And I’m nowhere near as big as the poundticipants. 
It’s a thing. 

Omg, I hate people.  😞

• Love 6
1 minute ago, sainte-chapelle said:

The air fyer is life changing 😍

I love my air fryer! Made fried chicken the other night, and sausage tonight. Can't even tell the difference. 

• Love 4