Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05. Melissa M's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I'm still going to work every day. Our office has 13 employees. Our boss does ask us to wear masks when we're moving around the office. I have gotten so used to wearing mine I tried to take a sip of coffee one day with my mask on. Needless to say it didn't work!

My husband is an essential worker and goes to work every day. He often comes home and sits on the couch with his mask on until I remind him to take it off 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, sagittarius sue said:

Good for you on the vaccine.  On Tuesday I was one of 200,000 who registered for the MN 65+ lottery.  I didn't make it this week, but I'm registered for the future.

Southwestern Indiana is doing very well at getting people vaccinated. We were originally scheduled for 2/8, but were able to go earlier when more slots opened up. The second dose is on 2/18, so I hope I can go back to the gym by early March.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

I just set it to record, I didn’t realize there was a new obesity show! Thanks! 

Oh, it is a new show. I thought the other poster meant the 1000lb sisters. I haven't been able to make it through a whole episode of them so far this season.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
Just now, umgoblue said:

Here comes her excuses and rationalizations....

But, when we think about other candidates, he would have allowed them to have the surgery already

Losing 3 pounds a week seems adequate progress. Expecting her to lose 10 pounds a week seems unrealistic.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Good for you on the vaccine.  On Tuesday I was one of 200,000 who registered for the MN 65+ lottery.  I didn't make it this week, but I'm registered for the future.

After one phone call, Feb 16 for us in WI.  Lottery in MN is too much like the Hunger Games.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Snarkastikate said:

She lives in Florida, masks optional.  Yet lower infection rate than states with severe restrictions.  Interesting. ...

Nebraska has far fewer restrictions than Massachusetts, but less than half the infection rates.  And significantly lower death rates.   Masks, unfortunately, just like many (I'd say most) other measures, are more about 'seem like we are doing something' than 'actually doing something'.  Don't get me started on the parody of 'testing' that doesn't work because it can't possibly work the way it's implemented.  But I won't get on that soapbox here now.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I'm still going to work every day. Our office has 13 employees. Our boss does ask us to wear masks when we're moving around the office. I have gotten so used to wearing mine I tried to take a sip of coffee one day with my mask on. Needless to say it didn't work!

OMG. I've been working from home since March. I'm going to retire in the summer and its a good bet I won't ever go back to the office. I'll miss my work peeps but I'm giddy with glee at the thought of no more commuting. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Oh, it is a new show. I thought the other poster meant the 1000lb sisters. I haven't been able to make it through a whole episode of them so far this season.

I have given up on the sisters halfway through last season.  

• Love 5

When people who have poor decision history insist on using their judgment over that of an experienced professional......why?  So arrogant.  I hope she makes it work. Seems like a foolish risk. Just move, get the surgery...make it work.   She’s too stubborn.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

A few years ago, I was walking and some guy yelled out his car window and called me a ‘disgusting fucking cow.’ 
And I’m nowhere near as big as the poundticipants. 
It’s a thing. 

Yea that is gross. I bet he looked like a perfect supermodel. I would have told him to get fucked but with that winning personality it is likely that the only person willing to fuck him is himself.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Having just moved last year to the city where I don't have family or friends, and with the pandemic being stuck in my apartment all day, I completely get where she is coming from.  

Especially since one of her issues is already feeling isolated and she is working on getting out more. To suddenly be so far from everyone she knows isn't going to help that.

She should really get herself a scale at home. She's lost enough that she should be able to find one that will accommodate her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Concerned said:

Losing 3 pounds a week seems adequate progress. Expecting her to lose 10 pounds a week seems unrealistic.

Dr Now has been doing this a long time and I tend to trust his judgment. Losing 3lbs a week might be great for someone with 100lbs to lose, but Melissa is carrying around an extra 300lbs+ despite her successful weight loss. She started at 597, and has lost 80bs (approximately)- and shes 4’10. 

Half of what she would lose each week would be water retention as she gets smaller. 

I think Melissa is doing a great job, but Dr Now probably has his reasons for wanting these extra steps if she won’t move to Houston. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Concerned said:

4 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

He had a previous poundticipant that had her type of build with a lot of upper body weight.  That often accompanies hormone issues.  For that damn near 700 pound person he only asked for 20 pounds a month. 

^^^  This!  She is making really good progress.  SHE HASN'T HAD THE SURGERY YET!  And seems like she has PCOS and is really trying, unlike others.  He is not being consistent and it may have the reverse affect when she is mostly trying.

I am so starved (pun intended) for someone to do well this season.  I need a success story.  PLEASE?  Pretty Please?

Edited by umgoblue
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
Just now, sainte-chapelle said:

Yea that is gross. I bet he looked like a perfect supermodel. I would have told him to get fucked but with that winning personality it is likely that the only person willing to fuck him is himself.

Haha.

I yelled “Fuck off” at him. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

OMG. I've been working from home since March. I'm going to retire in the summer and its a good bet I won't ever go back to the office. I'll miss my work peeps but I'm giddy with glee at the thought of no more commuting. 

I retired last August and it has been the best thing I've ever done. So much stress eliminated from this already stressful time 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Especially since one of her issues is already feeling isolated and she is working on getting out more. To suddenly be so far from everyone she knows isn't going to help that.

Exactly... the move could make it worse.   I am glad Dr. Now is continuing to work with her.

• Love 1

No way she lost 100 lbs.  What was that about her support system now.

Ok, your choice - go back to Fla. to be with "support system" ( we see how well that's been working ) or move to Texas have weight loss surgery you need that ultimately save your life.

For me that would be a no brainer...

Edited by String Theory
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Concerned said:

When you are that heavy you burn a lot of weight quickly. At 500 pounds to maintain she needs around 5000kcal/day which at 1200kcal would be around 7.5 pounds lost per week which will come out to around 30 pounds a month.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

He had a previous poundticipant that had her type of build with a lot of upper body weight.  That often accompanies hormone issues.  For that damn near 700 pound person he only asked for 20 pounds a month. 

Perhaps through his years of research, most of which we never saw, the standards have changed.  Or, insurance in Texas has changed.  Sort of like the bypass v sleeve?  Idk.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Same. My last day is June 30. We have been told we will be working virtually until Aug so nope not going back to the office I have inhabited for 31 years. My car had 82k miles on it last spring and it has 82k miles on it now, so I'll be able to keep it for a few extra years. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I've been roasting asparagus in my air fryer and its life changing. I eat asparagus every other day now. 

I can't remember the last time I was in a grocery store. I have everything delivered. I've been out of the house maybe half a dozen times since March. I am NOT fooling around. 

I'm 67 w/co-morbidities. I am eligible for the 'senior shopping,' which they've brought back, as well as mandatory masks, even outside if you can't SD, until the end of MAY. I think things are not going well. During the height of the pandemic, I could get same day & free delivery. I did that a couple of times, but felt incredibly guilty. I live close to the store. I know that many people were terrified to go out, some are really infirm, live farther away, etc. Plus,  I'm LDS and had food and paper supplies. I was just filling in with fresh stuff. Every time I got a delivery, I felt I was taking it from someone else, especially at first when they were very short staffed for grocery pickers and delivery.

I don't get out much otherwise, so seeing people at the grocery is about the only time I am with humans. Church service has been shortened and we go by last names, but most of us still stay home. We have a lot of children in our ward. As in asymptomatic plague carrying children. Nope. Not going and haven't been since March. Even my son doesn't come by much and we still mask up when he does. I'm tired of this. I had planned to go to Scandinavia and now I can barely get out to get my diet Pepsi stash.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Guide days it's called "Obesity Med", follows the stories of 2 morbidly obese patients.   I guess we all love watching  ppl fatter than us so we can think geez I'm fat but not THAT fat.  Just like we love hoarding shows too.  Gee I'm messy & cluttered, but not like THAT!

Are you me posting under another name?

Ooh, she's meeting a boy!

• Love 4

Here come excuses.  I only eat three healthy meals a day and no snacking, and I exercise.  You can't outexercise your eating...  you should start measuring your portions, girl, not relying on your obviously distorted judgement.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, hookedontv said:

I know she’s losing but I can’t see a difference. 

Her face/neck look much slimmer to me. But I’m not surprised we can’t see it, she’s very short and has a LOT to lose, and I think her body shape makes it harder to see a difference. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

😥 I have a bad feeling here.  Started out gangbusters and she's doing great, but she surely knew Dr Now's rule about moving to Houston for the surgery.  She doesn't work & she's very mobile, so I don't know why she couldn't do as someone else suggested, move to a long term hotel or temporary furnished apartment for a few months.  

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, aliya said:

I'm 67 w/co-morbidities. I am eligible for the 'senior shopping,' which they've brought back, as well as mandatory masks, even outside if you can't SD, until the end of MAY. I think things are not going well. During the height of the pandemic, I could get same day & free delivery. I did that a couple of times, but felt incredibly guilty. I live close to the store. I know that many people were terrified to go out, some are really infirm, live farther away, etc. Plus,  I'm LDS and had food and paper supplies. I was just filling in with fresh stuff. Every time I got a delivery, I felt I was taking it from someone else, especially at first when they were very short staffed for grocery pickers and delivery.

I don't get out much otherwise, so seeing people at the grocery is about the only time I am with humans. Church service has been shortened and we go by last names, but most of us still stay home. We have a lot of children in our ward. As in asymptomatic plague carrying children. Nope. Not going and haven't been since March. Even my son doesn't come by much and we still mask up when he does. I'm tired of this. I had planned to go to Scandinavia and now I can barely get out to get my diet Pepsi stash.

I really miss getting to go to shabbat services friday nights. Hopefully things will eventually go back to normal, and I can go iut when its dark.

• Love 5