Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Matt Damon got asked about the Bennifer reunion and ultimately said nice things, at least...

My memory of Bennifer 1.0 was of Matt not being a fan, but I wasn't really sure if that was the reality or the gossip world's spin on things--you know, Boston Ben going out with a New York Diva, so his hometown friends couldn’t possibly like her. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Matt actually viewed Bennifer as a bad time in his friend's life...

Post-breakup, Ben and J-Lo have consistently had glowing things to say about each other and talked about keeping in touch, so a reunion isn't a total shock. Also, online dating didn't go so well for Ben.

At least Bennifer is "age-appropriate"‽ 

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Matt Damon was asked about Ben and Jen today on The Today Show and he claimed to know nothing about it, even though he talks to Ben daily.  😆

The Ben and Matt friendship has cooled for some time and it's apparently mostly for show nowadays. They're very different people.

I also feel like it was just yesterday that Ben was spotted all around town with Ana de Armas.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Matt Damon was asked about Ben and Jen today on The Today Show and he claimed to know nothing about it, even though he talks to Ben daily.  😆

17 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Can't blame Matt for keeping his mouth shut.   I'm sure he wants no part of that shit. 😅

One reason I stopped watching the Today Show years ago was because they covered celebrity gossip as if it was important breaking news.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

One reason I stopped watching the Today Show years ago was because they covered celebrity gossip as if it was important breaking news.

It was on during the 3rd or 4th hour with Hoda and Jenna.  I think they focus on celebs and lifestyle during their hour.  I don’t normally catch it. Yusuf Islam, formerly known as  Cat Stevens has a new book out called Peace Train and I wanted to see that. Looks great.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

NBC has decided to not air the Golden Globes in 2022 over the increased controversy over the lack of diversity and ethical issues. They leave it open to air them in 2023 if substantial changes are made in the organization.

I think it's hilarious that even the ultimate phony, Tom Cruise, who basically has slaves working for him, returned his award "in protest". 

The Globes don't need a year off TV. They just need to go away forever. They're meaningless.

I like Scarlett Johanson's take on this more than Cruise's performative bullshit. She pointed out that the HFPA gained a lot of their legitimacy through Harvey Weinstein anyway, so they definitely need reform.

People keep harping on the racial component of membership, which is certainly accurate, but the even deeper issue is that the HFPA is run like FIFA.  It's this big old boys network, where people were always brought in as favors, because who doesn't love a bunch of fully paid free trips to film festivals, and to California every year? 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I read this as NBC has decided not the air the Golden Girls in 2022 and was so confused on every level for a hot second.

Like... why is NBC even airing the Golden Girls in 2022?  I know people love Betty White but is there a great demand for them to come back in 2023?  And what the hell did they even do to deserve this late banning?

Yeah, it was weird to be in my head for about 10 seconds.  LOL.

Well, very briefly there was this:

It was a one off though. 

Wait this link has some actual footage:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2020/09/09/golden-girls-black-cast-orig-jk.cnn

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

and Ben Affleck...

ftfy

Maybe, I really don't pay much attention to who he's dating, but the whole Ana de Armas thing never seemed real to me, I always thought it was for publicity. Anyway, I wish I could find it, but it doesn't come up in any of my searches, JLo once gave an interview & said that she basically couldn't be without a man, she always had to be part of a couple. That's why she just goes from one guy to the next. She sounds really needy to me, & I'm guessing that's part of the reason all her relationships fail, she's not necessarily into the guy, she just needs one to be part of her life. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GaT said:

Maybe, I really don't pay much attention to who he's dating, but the whole Ana de Armas thing never seemed real to me, I always thought it was for publicity. Anyway, I wish I could find it, but it doesn't come up in any of my searches, JLo once gave an interview & said that she basically couldn't be without a man, she always had to be part of a couple. That's why she just goes from one guy to the next. She sounds really needy to me, & I'm guessing that's part of the reason all her relationships fail, she's not necessarily into the guy, she just needs one to be part of her life. 

I don't disagree with you in re JLo, but felt it fair to include him in the needy/messy department.  I couldn't necessarily name his exes, but it just seems like we've read about his many exploits/dating partners that he's managed to squeeze in, between stints in rehab for substance abuse, among other things.  He's a guy who made a lot of money as a very young man, and never grew into manhood (not well anyway), despite Jennifer Garner's yeoman effort/s to facilitate same.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And then you have Leonardo DiCaprio who cycles a new girlfriend in whenever his latest gets too old.  

To be fair, DiCaprio's dating habits are hardly ignored.  Mocking him for it is a pretty standard thing. It's less from "the media" than from comedians and the Twitterverse though. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

To be fair, DiCaprio's dating habits are hardly ignored.  Mocking him for it is a pretty standard thing. It's less from "the media" than from comedians and the Twitterverse though. 

Yup. I also remember Clooney being mocked quite a bit. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Kromm said:

He was getting roasted on Twitter yesterday when a still from Killers of the Flower Moon was released.  I believe it was the NYPost tweeted it with a caption about Leo being unrecognizable (he wasn't).  That's where I saw a reply with an infographic about his girlfriends and their respected ages.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

I think it was Amy Poehler and Tina Fey who introduced him at a GG ceremony by saying "Like a super model's vagina, we extend a warm welcome to Leonardo DiCaprio."

• LOL 21
  • Love 1

I’m team J. Lo, but to be fair, I’m generally team “whoever is not Ben Affleck” in the relationship.  

I’m still hung up on the “John Mulaney getting a divorce” story.  Is there any gossip about why he’s filing for divorce?  Did he get involved with someone else?  He’s always talked about his wife so glowingly in his act, and by her issued statement, she seemed somewhat blindsided by it.  As much I adore his comedy, though, he definitely does seem to have a lot of issues, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I think it was Amy Poehler and Tina Fey who introduced him at a GG ceremony by saying "Like a super model's vagina, we extend a warm welcome to Leonardo DiCaprio."

And Ricky Gervais, at a different GG, who joked about Leo's girlfriends aging out of range by the end of a typical overlong awards show. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Holy gorgeous! Gwyneth must be proud. 

Perhaps Miss Paltrow considers her daughter's appearance to be one benefit of having once been married to Chris Martin.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Wow Apple Martin is a gorgeous girl. Prettier than her mother IMO.

Apple is 17. Gwyneth is 48. Time catches up with us all, despite Hollywood beauty techniques. I'm sure Gwyneth at 17 was just as pretty.

• Love 16
15 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He was getting roasted on Twitter yesterday when a still from Killers of the Flower Moon was released.  I believe it was the NYPost tweeted it with a caption about Leo being unrecognizable (he wasn't).  That's where I saw a reply with an infographic about his girlfriends and their respected ages.   

That Leo is being unrecognizable thing was roast worthy.   It was a picture of two people, a man (Leo) and a woman.   As Harry Turtledove (yes that Harry Turtledove, he's on twitter, he's a joy) stated "Unless he's the one on the left, no he's not."   The one on the left in the picture was the woman.    Of all the pictures they could have chosen for that line, they chose the one that you could most OBVIOUSLY tell which one was Leo.    Even if it was a man on the left, Leo looks like LEO.   Just a little fuller in the face.   

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have never understood the media's preoccupation with female celebrities love lives.  Sure JLo is a serial monogamist.  So are many other male celebrities.  There is nothing wrong with wanting a partner.  I don't see JLo as being needy.  Nor do I think the number of failed relationships she has is some kind of mindbogglingly high number for someone who is in her 50s.

Thank you. There is NOTHING wrong or shameful about wanting a partner to spend the rest of your life with. It takes time and trial and error. Someone is bound to rack up some numbers in that department because it isn’t easy finding a partner that you want to spend the rest of your life with. Yeah, some people may be date one or two people and then find a soulmate, but that certainly isn’t common. Think of all the people on dating apps! Heh. I see nothing inappropriate about the number of men she’s been with given her age. And even if she was younger? I still wouldn’t find it inappropriate because she is a consenting adult involved in a relationship with another consenting adult.

• Love 18

I just hope Mr. Affleck has owned his faults and  drastically changed for the better since the time of their initial breakup  or else I don't see how history can avoid being repeated. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I just hope Mr. Affleck has owned his faults and  drastically changed for the better since the time of their initial breakup  or else I don't see how history can avoid being repeated. 

I doubt that Ben has changed much. 

But I thought the number one reason they gave for calling off their wedding was the excessive intrusion and interest of the press.  And if that is the case then they are already doomed.  The detail of knowledge of their new little romance is already too detailed for it not to be fed by one or both of them.  And as indicated above, it seems to be her camp.  Even other reports cite a 'source close to Lopez.'

I don't have an issue with her serial dating, that's her business.  But I do judge on the need to not at least try to keep it on lock sometimes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 5/11/2021 at 1:05 AM, RealHousewife said:

Do you all think Jennifer's ever truly been in love with someone or is she only in love with being a couple? 

She actually released a statement after the first Bennifer breakup that it was "her first major heartbreak".  She had been married TWICE before that point!

I don't care if Bennifer get together either and I don't judge J.Lo for who she dates, but god, the first Bennifer was soooooooooooooo annoying.  I hate when people overuse the cliche "shoved it in our faces" but JLo released a music video of Ben Affleck actually kissing her actual ass.  Oh god, they were so annoying.  I hope they've changed by now.

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 1.13.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 1.11.54 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

Yes, wasn’t her excuse that she wasn’t paying enough attention to know her underlings were treating people badly and creating a toxic environment against her wishes?  So it seems like she really wasn’t up to the most basic challenge.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I laughed at the spin in it, acting like she's leaving because it's not a challenge now, instead of that nobody respects her anymore. 

She's basically swiping Conan O'Brien's (legitimate) rationale and pretending it's hers. 

And she has the nerve to give Oprah a big wrapping it up interview.....please.  I never thought Oprah, my hero, would end up where she seems to be these days.   Oprah, please don’t. Just don’t.     I suppose there is truth in the saying when you’re at the top, there’s no where to go, but down.   😒

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Quof said:

Of the fact she's physically attractive?   Strange thing in which to take pride - genetics.  

Parents tend to be proud of their kids' positive qualities, genetic or not. Genetics also influence intelligence, talent, and apparently even being nice.

16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She actually released a statement after the first Bennifer breakup that it was "her first major heartbreak".  She had been married TWICE before that point!

I don't care if Bennifer get together either and I don't judge J.Lo, but god, the first Bennifer was soooooooooooooo annoying.  I hate when people overuse the cliche "shoved it in our faces" but JLo released a music video of Ben Affleck actually kissing her actual ass.  Oh god, they were so annoying.  I hope they've changed by now.

Oh gosh, that video was something! lol The reason I asked if anyone thought she'd ever truly been in love is because I always thought most of us would need time to mourn the loss of someone we loved being out of our lives before seeing someone else. I saw posts defending J.Lo. While she's not my favorite entertainer, I don't think most people are hating on the fact she hasn't been happily married for many years or hate she's with Ben. It obviously has zero impact on us, and I actually understand someone like her better than people who stay in miserable relationships. I think most of us are simply perplexed by just how quickly she moves on. She's a gorgeous woman, and I don't expect her to stay single for long, but damn! 

• Love 9
(edited)
23 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh gosh, that video was something! lol The reason I asked if anyone thought she'd ever truly been in love is because I always thought most of us would need time to mourn the loss of someone we loved being out of our lives before seeing someone else. I saw posts defending J.Lo. While she's not my favorite entertainer, I don't think most people are hating on the fact she hasn't been happily married for many years or hate she's with Ben. It obviously has zero impact on us, and I actually understand someone like her better than people who stay in miserable relationships. I think most of us are simply perplexed by just how quickly she moves on. She's a gorgeous woman, and I don't expect her to stay single for long, but damn! 

It really makes you wonder if she dates people based on what they will do for her brand.  That whole Bennifer ordeal 1.0 took her from being a normal celebrity to being someone that felt like she was REALLY inescapable.  I know this will sound dramatic but it felt suffocating.

After they broke up, and I could escape hearing about her somewhat, I started to somewhat like her again.  Now that Bennifer 2.0 is emerging I'm already rolling my eyes, I'm so scared of what they'll do next.  Gigli 2??????

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 6
(edited)

How old are Ben and Jen’s kids?  Quickly becoming intimate with a new partner and introducing them into the lives of your children is generally frowned upon.  I know they say kids are so resilient, but I disagree. If that’s the case why are there so many screwed up adults? There’s a song called If We Break Up You’ll Be Breaking More Hearts Than Mine.  I think some parents don’t recognize this,

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
On 5/11/2021 at 11:50 AM, Cementhead said:

You'd better move quick before Kevin Smith claims it!!

Kevin Smith reminds the world that he created the term 'Bennifer.'

What the hell happened to you Kevin Smith. In the 90's you were probably my favourite director. I have even been to the Quick Stop and even own The Clerks Cartoon on DVD. Now it seems like the only thing of yours I have seen and liked was your appearances on the Mindy Project and those were just Mindy Kaling making fun of you.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It really makes you wonder if she dates people based on what they will do for her brand.  That whole Bennifer ordeal 1.0 took her from being a normal celebrity to being someone that felt like she was REALLY inescapable.  I know this will sound dramatic but it felt suffocating.

After they broke up, and I could escape hearing about her somewhat, I started to somewhat like her again.  Now that Bennifer 2.0 is emerging I'm already rolling my eyes, I'm so scared of what they'll do next.  Gigli 2??????

Gigli 2 and a new music video where he kisses her butt! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It really makes you wonder if she dates people based on what they will do for her brand.

This exactly.

I know it sounds like I actively search for stuff about her to dislike, but for awhile she was everywhere and I couldn’t escape her.  I used to get People magazine, and she always seemed to be interviewed or quoted.  I remember reading a Reader’s Digest article about her (yes, I am old) in which she talked about the Selena criticism that she couldn’t speak Spanish and mentioned that she quickly married and her husband only spoke Spanish and the marriage should quell the comments.  That made me stop and go hmm.  Then she had a magazine article in which she dissed other actresses and talked about her dedication to her craft.  Then I remember her relationship with P. Diddy raised her fame status and she was always in the magazine out with him, but after his nightclub arrest she married the dancer and went on Oprah to say she really only ever wanted to stay home and knit.  Then she dumped him for Ben Affleck.  I don’t know her and maybe it was all organic and coincidental, but man she makes herself sound very calculating.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

But I thought the number one reason they gave for calling off their wedding was the excessive intrusion and interest of the press. 

That was the sanitized, PR friendly excuse. Because to J Lo's credit, even though she could have, she never publicly bashed Ben. The reality was that Ben called off the wedding the weekend of, then proceeded to spend what should have been his wedding weekend, drinking and gambling in Vegas and hanging around strippers.

Because Ben Affleck is an alcoholic, possibly gambling addict as well. The same issues that sure enough, eventually led to the end of his and Jennifer Garner's marriage. Well that and the cheating.

And as to the above posts - so it begins I see. Like I said, the women always carry the brunt of the criticisms and judgements. But since so much has been said about J Lo's sins, certainly I'm sure we can all discuss again, Ben's history of alcoholism and gambling and cheating. And Bennifer Chapter 1 wasn't one person. Two individuals shared in the famewhoring behavior. 

As someone noted above, Ben was the one to take out a whole extra as hell ad about J Lo in the Hollywood Reporter when they started working on Gigli, while she was yes, married to someone else. He showed up on the red carpet of the opening of her restaurant, flowers in hand, again while her husband at the time was standing right there. 

Don't get it twisted - Ben Affleck pursued Jennifer Lopez and pursued her hard. And whatever anyone wants to say about J Lo, she's never hidden her over the top-ness if you want to call it that. So he knew exactly who she was.

But when it all blew up spectacularly in his face, he settled in his life with "sweet, girl next door" Jennifer Garner and had his camp push the narrative that he was always this normal Boston guy next door and J Lo's diva-ness wasn't the kind of life he wanted. Yeah, okay. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 5
  • Love 16
On 5/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, DearEvette said:

I read this as NBC has decided not the air the Golden Girls in 2022 and was so confused on every level for a hot second.

Like... why is NBC even airing the Golden Girls in 2022?  I know people love Betty White but is there a great demand for them to come back in 2023?  And what the hell did they even do to deserve this late banning?

Yeah, it was weird to be in my head for about 10 seconds.  LOL.

Well, the Girls in reruns would surely get better ratings for NBC than the Globes. 🥰

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

This was during the Bennifer height but a friend of mine had a mom work in a hospital and Ben Affleck promised to visit for some charity. My friend said he arrived and immediately demanded an extremely expensive bottle of champagne if he was going to stay. He was also drunk off his ass. When the hospital couldn't get his bottle of champagne, he bounced. 

AFAIK he has been in and out of rehab his whole life.

• Love 2

The Ben and Matt friendship has cooled for some time and it's apparently mostly for show nowadays. They're very different people.

For some reason I thought they were writing a new movie. My brain is not good at remembering Deadline articles about announced projects these days.

In trying to google for it, I did find this article about social media reactions from semi-famous people... 

https://hollywoodlife.com/2021/05/11/celebrities-react-jennifer-lopez-ben-affleck-reunion-bennifer-comments/

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

How old are Ben and Jen’s kids? 

I looked it up - they were born in 2005, 2009 and 2012. So, they're definitely old enough to be aware what's going on, hear people talking, etc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Seth Rogan has shaved off his beard for a movie role, and holy, unrecognizable!

I think for me it's the lack of glasses. But really, everything that usually frames his face... is not. 

• Love 4