Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

LoveLeigh
  • Start Topic

Ronald Pergman, a thirty-eight year old unmarried long-haul trucker, abducts Jerrie, a prostitute he meets at a truck stop. Later, while driving on the highway, he comes across two sisters, Danielle and Grace Sullivan, and kidnaps them as well after their car breaks down.

Original air date 2020.11.17

The girls were written as total nitwits, especially the driver. Couldn't they have, I don't know, been stranded because their car hit a deer or old Ronald leaves metal debris in the road to grab stranded females?

Did not see Ryan Philippe getting killed off coming.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, mertensia said:

I did not see that coming either.  Which in hindsight is sort of weird because the moment I saw John Carroll Lynch I said to myself, "Wait he's actually playing a good guy for once."  Yeah not so much.

I was annoyed because the sound cut off for me during the last five or six minutes.  I am not sure if it was a local thing or an ABC thing.  I did not have my television on mute, so I am not sure what the hell happened.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I did not see that coming either.  Which in hindsight is sort of weird because the moment I saw John Carroll Lynch I said to myself, "Wait he's actually playing a good guy for once."  Yeah not so much.

I was annoyed because the sound cut off for me during the last five or six minutes.  I am not sure if it was a local thing or an ABC thing.  I did not have my television on mute, so I am not sure what the hell happened.

One of the leads spoiled it on Good Morning America yesterday morning, but I was still taken aback when it actually happened. He did so many promotional interviews for it, so I'm sad his role is smaller than expected. 

• Love 7

I enjoyed this episode.  I will definitely keep watching.  

I assumed the state trooper was bad since he was acting so strange with everyone. I was still surprised when he shot Ryan.  I was not expecting that.

• Love 9

(moved from Media thread)

Figured the sheriff (or whatever he was) as the bad guy during the argument with his discontented wife (always happy to see Brooke Smith). I'm pretty sure the prostitute is trans, too, although I'm not sure we're supposed to realize that (the killer certainly didn't seem to). I was actually expecting her to put up a better fight in the truck than she did. Also, the 2 teen girls were so annoying, I was having trouble caring about their abduction.

So a tiny town in MONTANA has a large storefront location for a PRIVATE DETECTIVE AGENCY, which employs at least 4 people?? Come on.

Ryan Phillipe is such a non-entity, I felt nothing when he was offed.

If it weren't for the lack of new TV (other than stupid game and reality shows), I wouldn't bother watching this again.

Edited by sempervivum
remove empty space
  • Love 10

Didn't know what to expect. Figured Ronald was a serial rapist/killer and John Carroll Lynch was involved somehow. Was too obvious. Did not figure Cody would get capped right off the bat. Figured he'd just get bopped in the head and tossed in with the pile of girls.

15 minutes ago, rove4 said:

Overall I'm kind of 'meh' about the pilot.  Even if she thought Cody and Jenny were done as a married couple, it's still kind of shitty for Cassie to start sleeping with/dating her friend's estranged husband.  And Cody, well, Ryan Phillipe or not, I wasn't sad to see him go.  I was completely turned off by seeing the two women get into a knock-down-drag-out fight over a man.  Just, no.  At least now viewers will be spared the love triangle nonsense.

I was also turned off when THREE young, healthy young women couldn't overpower the schmuck who'd kidnapped them, even though they took him by surprise.  And that not a one of them thought to grab the taser from him. Are there any women on the writing team? And, if so, why are they allowing this dreck to happen? If one of the women ever manages to escape, I bet she trips, falls, and gets recaptured. 😒

Bang on. Can't say I'm overly impressed with the writing for the women in this at all. I'll give it another episode, maybe two, but I'm not committing to anything!

• Love 4

I liked this "pilot" very much. I will definitely set my DVR to tape the series. It must have been filmed sort of recently because the pandemic was referenced in a scene at that cabin.

And during this pandemic with very little to do, I will get into this. It's weird enough to keep me going back. 

• Love 12
On 11/18/2020 at 3:55 PM, SoMuchTV said:

What seemed odd to me is that characters mentioned the pandemic at least two or three times, but nobody was acting like there's a pandemic - going to diners and bars, shaking hands, not a mask in sight...  Or is that just how it is out west - big sky and all that?

Same. Aside from shutting down the motel, the pandemic doesn't seem to have affected the town at all. It can still keep its four-man detective agency open, and no one has to wear a mask or order groceries online. Where do I sign up?

Edited by Silly Angel
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I wanted to like this, but not sure if I do. The ending was a surprise, so I'll see where it goes. 

I don't want something too twisty and convoluted. I don't have the bandwidth for that right now.

Also -- huge peeve... why mention Covid? Nobody was wearing masks, so why bring it up regarding the cafe? Couldn't they have figured out another reason he could go in the cafe? I don't want to hear about Covid. Being surrounded by it every day, I want my entertainment Covid-free. But, if you are going to feature Covid, then all the characters need to act like they are in a pandemic. 

• Love 12

Ryan Phillippe got Sean Bean’d, eh?

Two days ago I saw some reference to Susannah Hoffs which made me think “What was that movie she was in back in the 80s?”  It was The Allnighter. Down the IMDb rabbit hole I go to see who else was in that movie.  It co-starred Deedee Pfeiffer who I totally remembered from other movies of that time but haven’t seen in ages   I put this show on today and boom—Deedee Pfeiffer.   I know...not interesting but it was kinda odd. 

It wasn’t bad. Not great but not terrible. I’ll totally watch for John Carrroll Lynch because he’s great in everything  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, beaker73 said:

Two days ago I saw some reference to Susannah Hoffs which made me think “What was that movie she was in back in the 80s?”  It was The Allnighter. Down the IMDb rabbit hole I go to see who else was in that movie.  It co-starred Deedee Pfeiffer who I totally remembered from other movies of that time but haven’t seen in ages   I put this show on today and boom—Deedee Pfeiffer.   I know...not interesting but it was kinda odd. 

I'm guessing she got the part because she's David E. Kelley's sister-in-law.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, mertensia said:

The girls were written as total nitwits, especially the driver. Couldn't they have, I don't know, been stranded because their car hit a deer or old Ronald leaves metal debris in the road to grab stranded females?

This is based on the CJ Box trilogy The Highway which I really enjoyed.  The girls were just like that in the books.  Glad to see CJ Box gets a producing credit.  I never liked Ryan Phillipe as an actor so not sorry to see him get whacked.  What this means, of course, is that the two women will band together and solve the crimes.

Edited by susannot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I should have known that Ryan Phillipe would bite it, shows love to cast a bigger name in the first episode or two and then kill them off, then they can add in a "shock" while also getting to advertise a well known actor without having to pay them for more than an episode. I often find these rather cheap, but this does create a more interesting dynamic between Jenny and Cassie now, and it certainly seems better than a cat fight over Cody and a boring love triangle where no one really comes off well. 

Not a bad start, its pretty cliché so far but I am at least interested in seeing where it goes for now. Television does love their kidnapped/dead young girls and women don't they? Nothing gets people more ready to solve a crime than a pretty damsel. The teens are ridiculously annoying and stupid even by TV teen standards, especially the driver, who almost got her and her sister killed by trying to play rough with some random trucker in the dead of night, which could have gotten them hurt or killed even if the guy wasn't a serial killer/human trafficker/whatever. The younger sister had a bit more common sense, but apparently cant stand up to her idiot sister. I also am amazed that the girls did such a terrible job of escaping trucker creep, you would think that three fully grown women could take one normal sized guy with a taser, but instead they all just flailed around screaming, not even going for the taser until they got knocked out again. They even surprised him in the truck, and he still handled them without breaking a sweat, and without him even having a gun or anything. 

I figured that the state trooper was in on it, he was being so weird, its not too surprising that he is in on whatever the evil plan is with the trucker. 

There are a lot of actors I like in this, especially Katheryn Winnick, and the scenery is very pretty, so I will give it a few more episodes. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, SerenityNow721 said:

What was the point in casting a “big name” actor if he was just going to be killed off right away?  Are there going to be Cody flashbacks?  

Shock value, I think. I probably would have been surprised at Cody getting killed regardless, but I had thought Ryan Phillippe was the star so it was even more of a surprise. I did read there will be some flashbacks though.

Danielle was being an idiot, but I thought the sister seemed much smarter. She told Danielle not to get off the highway, she told her not to piss off the truck driver, she knew what was wrong with the car, and she was able to get out of her restraints. Sadly, her sister did not listen to a thing she said and got them both kidnapped. I know that is the set up for the whole show, but surely they could have made the women all get kidnapped by being a little smarter?

I thought the actress playing Danielle looked a lot like Elisha Cuthbert. It was distracting me.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, rove4 said:

That was my reaction to that too.

Overall I'm kind of 'meh' about the pilot.  Even if she thought Cody and Jenny were done as a married couple, it's still kind of shitty for Cassie to start sleeping with/dating her friend's estranged husband.  And Cody, well, Ryan Phillipe or not, I wasn't sad to see him go.  I was completely turned off by seeing the two women get into a knock-down-drag-out fight over a man.  Just, no.  At least now viewers will be spared the love triangle nonsense.

I was also turned off when THREE healthy young women couldn't overpower the schmuck who'd kidnapped them, even though they took him by surprise.  And that not a one of them thought to grab the taser from him. Are there any women on the writing team? And, if so, why are they allowing this dreck to happen? If one of the women ever manages to escape, I bet she trips, falls, and gets recaptured. 😒

I might give this another episode or so, for Katheryn Winnick's sake, but this didn't impress me. 

I have no idea who Kathryn Winnick is but she would have to be a LOT better than she was last night to make me stay for this!  You summed up exactly all of my problems with this, except I knew the Sheriff was crooked the minute he got out of his car  and the other OBVIOUS plot point. 

I really got upset about the women fighting over someone who apparently was not worth it, AND his falling into bed (and she allowed it) with the wife after he'd just picked up her and the ex friend?   

Than to top that off the three women could not overpower someone with a STUN GUN....ok....

8 hours ago, tracyhmcd said:

I'll watch again for more Kylie Bunbury and the hope of more Ryan Phillippe in flashbacks anyway.  

She deserved so much better than this!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What seemed odd to me is that characters mentioned the pandemic at least two or three times, but nobody was acting like there's a pandemic - going to diners and bars, shaking hands, not a mask in sight...  Or is that just how it is out west - big sky and all that?

Maybe some of the scenes were filmed before the pandemic and they inserted that scene in the cabin during the pandemic. Not all scenes are filmed in order. And many scenes are filmed concurrently. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

Maybe some of the scenes were filmed before the pandemic and they inserted that scene in the cabin during the pandemic. Not all scenes are filmed in order. And many scenes are filmed concurrently. 

The scene in the cabin was between the (estranged) husband and wife, right?  So I could see that they were already in a “bubble” if that’s the right term. So that seems reasonable. It’s just the way various characters kept referencing the pandemic but didn’t seem concerned about it. I mean, pick a lane, show. Either ignore it or acknowledge the reality. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

The scene in the cabin was between the (estranged) husband and wife, right?  So I could see that they were already in a “bubble” if that’s the right term. So that seems reasonable. It’s just the way various characters kept referencing the pandemic but didn’t seem concerned about it. I mean, pick a lane, show. Either ignore it or acknowledge the reality. 

No, it was the scene between Rick (the Highway Patrol guy) and Cody... when Rick tells him the cabin is empty because of the pandemic. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

No, it was the scene between Rick (the Highway Patrol guy) and Cody... when Rick tells him the cabin is empty because of the pandemic. 

Oh right I was thinking of the log cabin. 

• Love 1

Add me to the list of those who came mainly for Ryan, lol. I'll watch most anything he's in, so I was excited to think he was gonna be in a new series that looked pretty intriguing. Oh well. Hopeful for flashbacks.

RE: the pandemic mentions, I was assuming that most of this was filmed before covid emerged, but they re-shot some scenes or additional scenes, or dubbed in some lines mentioning it because they didn't want the show to feel out of touch or something. Or, perhaps they wanna treat it as if covid is recently in the past, but some effects are still lingering (I wasn't paying TOO much attention so I could have missed dialogue that proved it was on-going). I for one  would have been fine with this being one show that completely ignored it.

Didn't really care for either of the female leads, but, I suppose I'll keep watching, because I generally enjoy shows like this. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ryan Phillippe mentioned during one of his promotional interviews that they shut down pre-production and then were one of the first shows to resume during COVID, so it sounded like they have filmed most, if not all of the show since the pandemic became a bigger problem in the US. However, I can't recall if he specifically stated when they started filming. I would assume some time in the summer. 

Edited by Legalbeagle421
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Yes. I kept waiting for a plot twist big reveal with the prostitute because it was very obvious the prostitute was either trans or not a woman at all. 

I was thinking trans, because of the line about being "new at this" when kidnapper guy was hitting on her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

Ryan Phillipe mentioned during one of his promotional interviews that they shut down pre-production and then were one of the first shows to resume during COVID, so it sounded like they have filmed all of the show since the pandemic became a bigger problem in the US. However, I can't recall if he specifically stated when they started filming. I would assume some time in the summer. 

I guess my confusion was not with the actual circumstances of the filming, but with how the show was treating the pandemic in its universe. Like, they acknowledged it was a thing, but nobody was taking any precautions about it. But I think I’m expending too many brain cells on this. I’m not even sure if I’m going to stick with it. 

• Love 2

I watched solely for Kylie Bunbury (RIP Pitch). Brooke Smith was a happy surprise. 

I thought something was off with the weird trooper but they got me at the end with that twist. 

I didn't even realize that was Ryan Phillippe. My 16 year old self is ashamed of me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess my confusion was not with the actual circumstances of the filming, but with how the show was treating the pandemic in its universe. Like, they acknowledged it was a thing, but nobody was taking any precautions about it. But I think I’m expending too many brain cells on this. I’m not even sure if I’m going to stick with it. 

Oh, I'm sorry! That's what I get for skim reading lol. But I know the Good Doctor is going to show a post-pandemic world on their show after having the first episode (maybe first two? I only watch when I forget to turn the channel after Dancing with the Stars lol) focus on the pandemic. So maybe that's what they're going for here? They want to pretend it's over or not as bad as it actually is? 

I agree with you that I don't know if I'll stick with it because I was watching for Ryan. However, I get the vibe that ABC is not good with these "smaller shows" that they test out for viewer interest. They only seem to know how to manage a show once it's a hit (a la Greys Anatomy, Good Doctor, etc.). I don't know if I want to invest like I did Grand Hotel and then watch the show get yanked. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

After reading a few people mention small town, I'm confused and maybe I need to do a rewatch. I thought the show takes place in Helena, the capital of Montana? (Sure, it's still not that big, but I wouldn't call it a small town.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I'm pretty sure the prostitute is trans, too, although I'm not sure we're supposed to realize that (the killer certainly didn't seem to).

I thought she was as well, but it was never made a plot point so I thought I might be wrong.

15 hours ago, rove4 said:

I was also turned off when THREE healthy young women couldn't overpower the schmuck who'd kidnapped them, even though they took him by surprise.  And that not a one of them thought to grab the taser from him. Are there any women on the writing team? And, if so, why are they allowing this dreck to happen? If one of the women ever manages to escape, I bet she trips, falls, and gets recaptured. 😒

I might give this another episode or so, for Katheryn Winnick's sake, but this didn't impress me. 

This I even said it to myself when I was watching it.  How are three women not going to take him out.  Sure he might be able to taser one of them but it is not like he is built like the Rock or something.  He was an average build guy and I am pretty sure three women who have the element of surprise could easily take him down and disarm him.

4 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Just last night I was watching the latest season of American Horror Story and googled "why does John Carroll Lynch always play murderers?"

Seriously.  At least he's not playing a killer clown this time around. 🤡😲

• Love 3

My husband and I both jumped when Ryan got shot. Not expecting that. I was actually thinking that the trooper was in on it somehow, but that we would find out later in the season after the PI's did their investigating. I'll stick around to see how this plays out.

6 hours ago, BK1978 said:

This I even said it to myself when I was watching it.  How are three women not going to take him out.  Sure he might be able to taser one of them but it is not like he is built like the Rock or something.  He was an average build guy and I am pretty sure three women who have the element of surprise could easily take him down and disarm him.

Seriously. I kept thinking that at least one of them would be able to run away. My money was on smart sister. 

I love Katheryn Winnick but I don't know what the heck kind of accent she's trying to do.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

I love Katheryn Winnick but I don't know what the heck kind of accent she's trying to do.

This bugged me as well. It sounded like she was doing a Southern accent. I've never been to Montana, so I don't know what the typical accent and dialect is up there, but I can assure you that wasn't it. 😂

• Love 1

I did not see that end coming at all!

Outside of the shock of that, afterwards I was thinking it didn't really make sense for the sheriff to be involved because isn't he the one who first alerted Cody that missing girls are a thing around those parts? I mean, Cody is a detective and likely would have found out eventually but why lead him to that so fast? Also, was that the best place to murder a guy in broad daylight? It's not like he can call Harvey Keitel to come clean it up.

I was also surprised they mentioned the pandemic right in the first scene while they were seated in a cafe and no one was wearing masks, even the waitress.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Pallida said:

I thought the show takes place in Helena, the capital of Montana? (Sure, it's still not that big, but I wouldn't call it a small town.)

That's how it showed at the beginning of the episode, although I don't know if the show is filmed around there.  Helena has a population of about 28,000 according to Wikipedia, and I did a quick check to find out that there are 6 actual PI firms in town.  Maybe they're all busy checking on the Duttons and the Governor and what not.  Don't have any time for ditzy teenagers.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I thought this was really, really bad but that doesn't necessary mean I won't keep watching it. I tend to enjoy bad tv shows lol. The problem though is that I feel like 80% sure this will not get a second season so I'm not sure if I wanna get invested in it.

As soon as the sheriff got in the car with Ryan Phillippe I was like, "Is he gonna kill him?" But I was half joking so I was still shocked when he actually did.

The acting was very bad from the lead actress. Kylie Bunbury wasn't much better and I love Kylie Bunbury. The writing is very bad so maybe they just can't rise above that. I'm hoping they'll get better. 

Like seriously, who wrote this? It was SO BAD lol. And like, just so, dated or something. Like this show should have been on in 1998 or something. And I echo the people who wonder if there's a single woman on the writing staff. The writing is borderline offensive and I did not expect that from David E. Kelley or whatever his name is since he's so 'prestigious' or whatever. 

Maybe that's why I couldn't get into it. It was bad and more soapy than I was expecting. Again, I love me some bad and soapy but it just wasn't what I thought this would be. Now that I know that's what is is though, I might be able to enjoy it more.

• Love 9

Add me to the pile of people who were disgusted by the writing that 3 healthy fit young women are overpowered by one man. Why didn't one of them kick him in the balls? Instant takedown. And they planned to surprise him with the neck stabbing, so an addition boot to the groin would have done it. Maybe being tazed makes you weak, does it give you jelly muscles for awhile? Anyone been tazed? How long does the effect last?

I have no issue with the blond sister being stupid, not because she's blond but because she seems like one of those girls who always gets what she wants and hates when someone bests her. Hence, not listening to her younger sister. Too bad she dragged her smarter sister into her stupidity.

Shooting Ryan Philippe surprised me too, given that's he's a "name" actor. 

I agree that the writing is kind of hokey and cliched. But I do enjoy a mystery, so I'll keep watching. Not that there's much of a mystery, we already know whodunit. Just need to know why. 

The trucker's mother is that actress who always plays neurotic weirdos. No wonder she was top of the list when the show Frasier was considering casting the role of Maris.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

That's how it showed at the beginning of the episode, although I don't know if the show is filmed around there.  Helena has a population of about 28,000 according to Wikipedia, and I did a quick check to find out that there are 6 actual PI firms in town.  Maybe they're all busy checking on the Duttons and the Governor and what not.

I also spent far too much time googling out of curiosity, and based on the few who had actual websites, the services they offer are 1) process serving, 2) debt collection/skip tracing, and 3) cheating spouses. They all claim to 'serve Montana statewide', and while a few are in mini malls, a couple are just in private residences. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I read somewhere that the show is set "after" the pandemic. So it  happened but, they are in the aftermath of it. So no masks in sight.

• Useful 4
5 hours ago, Mikita said:

I read somewhere that the show is set "after" the pandemic. So it  happened but, they are in the aftermath of it. So no masks in sight.

I guess that makes sense, but it seems weird to even mention it. Why not just pretend it never existed?

I was also thinking that maybe out in Montana there aren't as many restrictions as in higher populated areas.  So there wouldn't be tourists coming to Montana, but regular business wouldn't be closed. I have no idea what actually has been happening with Montana, but it seems possible there are some places like that.

• Love 3

I thought they were going to have Ryan's character involved with the truck driver, just because the other guy always plays serial killers. Although his calling his wife "mother" is creepy, I see her point. Is he the brother of the truck driver? I should watch again, but what I didn't like was that it was too soapy. The wife beating up the woman who slept with her estranged husband? Then sleeping with him herself? He isn't worth it. 

• Love 3
On 11/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, ShellsandCheese said:

Yes. I kept waiting for a plot twist big reveal with the prostitute because it was very obvious the prostitute was either trans or not a woman at all. 

The actor is non-binary. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I said the same thing.  I mean get her accent for Lagertha, but for this character it was just so weird.  She sounded like someone from Europe (Maybe Germany) trying to "sound" American.  I was sitting there thinking, "Wait I know she's Canadian, but that doesn't really sound like any Canadian accent I have heard."

• Love 4
On 11/18/2020 at 9:24 PM, DB in CMH said:

Just last night I was watching the latest season of American Horror Story and googled "why does John Carroll Lynch always play murderers?"

He was also the husband in the movie FARGO and Drew Carey's crossdressing brother on the sitcom. (You probably already knew that. Sorry.)

Seriously tired of the female tropes of the two sisters. Of course the brainy one cannot have a boyfriend. It's got to be the blonde who loves to drive fast. Also, I kept thinking the three of them should've gone full Bobby Hill on him ("That's my purse! I don't know you!!") and kicked him in the crotch. 

I have a feeling if I give any time to this it's going to end up like LOST, THE X-FILES, or TWIN PEAKS. A lot of plots are never resolved and it gets more and more up its own butt. 

I digress. I'll watch for a couple of more episodes to see if anything logical happens. 

• Love 6