Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Even though I didn't get it right, I thought that was a very good FJ question yesterday (just got around to watching the episode because I assumed it was pre-empted in my area). This week's episodes are super hard, and I'm not looking forward to Katie Couric hosting. Does anyone know how many episodes Ken taped?

• Love 3

After the events of yesterday, I've lost interest in Jeopardy. I will keep up with Contest postings but will be gone from here otherwise. The negativity on some of these J threads about a show that is suppose to be fun is more than I can cope with. Hope to see ya'll in happier times.

Edited by saber5055

had no idea that it was set in WW1

In the movie they talked about "no man's land", "the war to end all wars", and there was poison gas, all things relevant to WWI.

Boy, Manisha really tanked. I did like her little story about how she decided to become a lawyer. 

23 minutes ago, teebax said:

Even though I didn't get it right, I thought that was a very good FJ question yesterday (just got around to watching the episode because I assumed it was pre-empted in my area). This week's episodes are super hard, and I'm not looking forward to Katie Couric hosting. Does anyone know how many episodes Ken taped?

I think 5, but I don't know.

There is no escaping politics anymore

Yesterday was far beyond politics

Detroit's station is running yesterday's J! at 7 today instead of WOF, then today's episode at the regular 7:30 time. They've been promoting this week hard on their news shows so I guess they had to do something. 

• Love 2

My local station aired the episode at 10 pm- there was a scrawl at the bottom of the screen saying that the week of Alex's last episodes would continue.  

Apparently ABC is airing a special on Friday about Alex and Jeopardy on Friday.  And I think the guest hosts will be revealed.

I did not get FJ.  But I don't watch superhero movies.  I knew it wasn't 1917 because that was released at the end of 2019. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2

Too bad nobody got "Macarena."  To this day I consider it eminently danceable, although looking back, it definitely goes into the category of songs that are much racier if you really listen to the lyrics than you would expect given how often they were played at Catholic youth events.  In one version, Macarena has a threesome while her boyfriend is away with the army.   Sister Rosalie?  Come quick!

I liked Yoshie too.  The three on Tuesday looked to me like they might all be high schoolers.  Not that I am particularly old myself, but I enjoy seeing mature contestants do well.  Her stated hometown of Colma, a bit south of San Francisco, has a bit of my heart too.  They have some suburban retail that reminds me of my youth, but they're better known for being the site of many cemeteries relocated from SF.  There are about 1000X as many under the ground as above it there, so the unofficial town motto is "It's great to be alive in Colma."  Perhaps most importantly, if I'm taking the train south, Colma is my signal that it's time to find a stopping place in whatever I'm reading if I want to be ready for my stop.  And if that's not a good reason to support a game show player from there, I don't know what is!

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think [Ken taped] 5, but I don't know.

I don't know either.  5 per session is the standard.  I think it might be at least 10, only because I'm not aware of any breaks in new shows.  5 would take us through next week, Jan 11-15.  But what about those airing the week after that, Jan 18-22?  I think those at least must be in the can.  It would be cutting it pretty close otherwise, although I think this show doesn't need much editing.  I guess somebody else might've been taping that didn't get the publicity of the first one announced or Couric, like a Clue Crew member.

22 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I suspect Jeopardy! will be pre-empted everywhere, unless they can actually get things under control with the curfew.  Yeah, I know, I'm being a pie-eyed optimist, and it's not likely, but you never know, right?

It ran at the usual time last night for me.

I got FJ, but at the very last second so I wouldn't have had time to write it down.  I knew it wasn't 1917 because that was nominated for Oscars last year so it had to have come out in 2019.  Not a fan of superhero movies, so Wonder Woman wasn't a big thing on my radar, but I had read a little about it.

20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I even saw Wonder Woman and I didn't have any clue.   Aargh.  the only missed q I got was the Atlantic.

I got the entire categories of 19 century America and GQ right.

I got Atlantic, although it took me a second.  Totally misunderstood the GQ category, so I got maybe one of those.

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And I very confidently said "Dunkirk" for FJ

Wrong war.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I only made it part way through WW, and had no idea that it was set in WW1, could have sworn it was WWII.

The tv show with Lynda Carter was originally set during WWII, so you're not completely crazy.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Was I the only one yelling at Jared "Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic!"?

Nope, I was doing it too.

3 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm not looking forward to Katie Couric hosting.

Has she been announced as a guest host?  I hadn't seen that.  Not sure how I feel about it.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Trey said:

The woman in the middle would have done a lot better if she hadn't kept making wrong guesses.

I didn't write down all my ts's but I know I got yellow, Carrie, road map, and Yesterday.

Instaget FJ; I even pre-called it after the category was revealed.  The clue didn't say it was the same name for both men - in fact it didn't even say they were both kings - but it was a reasonable assumption.

He was given credit for it.

I could not believe that she did not guess Carrie!

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Wrong war.

Yep, and yet I was still very confident in my guess.  History is most assuredly not my strong suit.  In fact, the only history class I've ever taken was US History in high school in 1979-80, and that was only because I couldn't graduate without it.

• Love 2

NY Times has this nice piece about announcer Johnny Gilbert's friendship with Alex and his feelings about the transition.  It also states that Ken taped 30 episodes, or six weeks' worth.  I hadn't seen that number yet.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Has [Katie Couric] been announced as a guest host?

LA Times reported it yesterday, "according to several people familiar with the plans," but no one will confirm or deny.  From what I've observed they are usually right about entertainment news presented this way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is the "special" on at the regular time? 

Never mind. Today they had a chyron announcing that this week’s Tuesday and Wednesday episodes would rerun Friday here in Chicagoland from 1-2pm CST (Jeopardy’s regular time here is 3:30pm).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

After the events of yesterday, I've lost interest in Jeopardy. I will keep up with Contest postings but will be gone from here otherwise. The negativity on some of these J threads about a show that is suppose to be fun is more than I can cope with. Hope to see ya'll in happier times.

Don't you DARE go. We need you and your input. (besides, you need to know it's y'all, not ya'll. LOL).  Look at it this way, after Couric, it can only get better unless they tap Steve Harvey or Pauly Shore.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

For the DJ DD:

In 1857 this monthly magazine with an oceanic name was founded in Boston; it moved to D.C. 150 years later

Was I the only one yelling at Jared "Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic!"?

Nope, I was as well. For all the good it did!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is the "special" on at the regular time? 

I don't know.  I just heard it as my husband was flipping channels.  I think they said after the show-maybe at 8? I am married to a  compulsive channel flipper although he knows better than to do it during Jeopardy!

11 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I don't know.  I just heard it as my husband was flipping channels.  I think they said after the show-maybe at 8? I am married to a  compulsive channel flipper although he knows better than to do it during Jeopardy!

I don't know if there's going to be a separate special, but there will be a tribute at the end of Friday's episode:

The final episode featuring Trebek, which airs Friday, will conclude with a tribute to the beloved and legendary television personality.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/alex-trebeks-final-jeopardy-episodes-air-week/story?id=75033562

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, kav said:

Have you heard about if NBC down here will be showing it later or anything?  Where would we even look?

OK! Channel 11 ran a crawl at the opening of tonight's J! - Yesterday's will be shown at 3:34 AM.  Kind of late, but worth staying up for.

I'm preguessing "Rent" for FJ  (We're in commercial right now)  -- Well, that was wrong.  Now I'm singing, "When the moooooon is in the seventh house..."

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

SAME.

You guys, I am in no way prepared for tomorrow.

Also there were probably a lot of confused people wondering by Alex said today was Christmas Eve.

Last night I said Louisiana and Georgia for FJ (d’oh!) but tonight’s was an instaget.

I didn’t think they were going to get Cris Collinsworth, but I am very sad they didn’t get Gwen Ifill.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

"Gimme a head with hair! Long beautiful hair. Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen waxen." Now it's stuck in your head, isn't it?

When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.....  Instaget FJ tonight.

Pretty good game.  I didn't get any of the few TS, although I did get the missed DD of Vietnam.

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

but I am very sad they didn’t get Gwen Ifill.

I knew who she was, but could not for the life of me bring her name to mind.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I knew who she was, but could not for the life of me bring her name to mind.

I was like that with Gregory Hines. Could NOT pull his name out of the recesses of my brain to save my life, but Gwen Ifill was right there, at the front.

• Love 3
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

I was like that with Gregory Hines. Could NOT pull his name out of the recesses of my brain to save my life, but Gwen Ifill was right there, at the front.

We should have been watching together -- Gregory Hines was at the front of my brain!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Gwen Ifill was the only one I didn't get in that category.

23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm preguessing "Rent" for FJ  (We're in commercial right now)  -- Well, that was wrong.  Now I'm singing, "When the moooooon is in the seventh house..."

Wasn't there a RENT question recently?

I said "Langston Hughes" the way Roger says it in "La Vie Boheme." 😄 Which I have been singing ever since.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

OK! Channel 11 ran a crawl at the opening of tonight's J! - Yesterday's will be shown at 3:34 AM.  Kind of late, but worth staying up for.

I was just coming on here to let you know it is on at 3:30 Am ish tonight.  I thought Rent too, I also said Sound of Music and Greece......I had no idea.   I would have been in BIG trouble is I got the Aly Raisman question wrong, she is from my state.

Edited by kav
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I got FJ as soon as I got to "astrological." 

Me too!

Me three! At the same time!!!

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Now I'm singing, "When the moooooon is in the seventh house..."

"...and Jupiterrrrr, aligns with Mars..."

57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did get the missed DD of Vietnam.

Me too. "Talkin' 'bout my generation..."

26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Looking at Yoshi, she had that album back in the day.  

I forgot to mention yesterday how happy I was just to see a more mature person on the show, and then, with her wise wagering, she won!
And again!
I thought of how she said yesterday that often  contestants miss questions that are frequently used in crossword puzzles when I knew:

One of the places Vulcan was said to have his workshop was on Sicily below this volcano

--was Mt. Etna (a frequent NY Times crossword puzzle answer).
But I first knew "Etna" on the puzzle because I lived 15 years in the shadow of Mt Shasta (of volcanic origins) with a town nearby named Etna.
Sorry.
My stories can't hold a candle to @saber5055's. 

• Love 3

I’m so glad y’all posted about the special following tomorrow night’s final episode. Otherwise I wouldn’t have known about it, so thank you. I just got the missed DD of Viet Nam and (along with so many of you) knew FJ as soon as I read the first few words of the clue. I’m kind of disappointed that Tracey didn’t get it. She was a quiet, but good player. 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got FJ as soon as I got to "astrological." 

I know all the songs, and they were going around in my head, but for the life of me, I couldn't pull up the name of the show.

I have never seen Hair and did not realize that Aquarius was a song in it. It is a bit disconcerting to not realize I had such a gap in knowledge! Needless to say, I got the song but not the musical.

@saber5055 I hope you don't leave! Or at least, come back soon. We will miss you.

• Love 2

I thought that was a fantastic episode!  I needed it today too.  I joined in the groaning when Gwen Ifill was missed, so I'm glad to be among kindred spirits.  I see Yoshie had time to read my last comment between shows and bring up Colma's cemeteries.  Great minds and all that, although I wonder what Alex was thinking.  I will certainly be looking skeptically at peacocks the next time I see them, thanks to Tracy.

Hair was an instaget for me too, but I'm lucky we didn't have to name the songs.  I knew "Age of Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In," which I would have presented as two separate songs although they charted as the medley, but couldn't've named any of the others.  No, not even, you know, "Hair."  I'm not sure I've actually heard then.  I would've said "Rhythm of Life," which I am now reminded is from Sweet Charity.

After the discussion about myth a few days ago, I surprised myself by getting 4/5.  I said I didn't like the epic poetry I read, but I did enjoy studying Oedipus Rex, perhaps because it was approached very theatrically.  I still think, if an oracle told me I would marry my mother, even if I thought that was ridiculous, I might ask my wife if she had any kids before we tied the knot.  But I guess that's where hubris comes in!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I said "Langston Hughes" the way Roger says it in "La Vie Boheme." 😄

Same here.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am very sad they didn’t get Gwen Ifill.

Ditto to this as well.

I sympathized with Yoshie's damn, I should have wagered more reaction when the incarnate DD was revealed.

The Literary Kings category had already kept me from any hope of running the first round, but the only other one I missed was the golfer that stumped the three of them, too.  Mythology doomed me in DJ, but I only missed two of them, and the Simpsons clue was my only other miss in that round.  And FJ was an instaget.  So a great game, even though still not a perfect one.

Great game for them, too; I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I was a college freshman in 1969, music major with an involvement in the drama department. I couldn’t hold my head up if I had missed FJ!

I had the cutest little dog named Yoshi. We’re not certain, but we think he was part Pomeranian, part Japanese Chin.  I’m happy Yoshie is doing well.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Hair was an instaget for me too, but I'm lucky we didn't have to name the songs.  I knew "Age of Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In," which I would have presented as two separate songs although they charted as the medley, but couldn't've named any of the others.  No, not even, you know, "Hair."  I'm not sure I've actually heard then.  I would've said "Rhythm of Life," which I am now reminded is from Sweet Charity.

Easy to Be Hard is the fourth song.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t see anything in the TV guide about a special after Jeopardy tomorrow evening? 

I don’t see one either.  Jeopardy! is on FOX at 7:30 and wrestling is on right after that tonight.  I checked ABC on the guide and didn’t see anything there.  Maybe the tribute will be part of the regular show?

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The tv show with Lynda Carter was originally set during WWII, so you're not completely crazy.

Glad to know I'm just a smidge crazy. 😆

12 hours ago, illdoc said:

"Gimme a head with hair! Long beautiful hair. Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen waxen." Now it's stuck in your head, isn't it?

Along with the others. Recently watched  a Cowsills documentary where they sang that. A bit bizarre. (them singing that particular song)

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.

I think the only ts I got was redux.

I said "returns"...on the right path, but not the right word.

12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, no one knew Gwen Ifill. 

I recognized her, just could not come up with her name.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Me too. "Talkin' 'bout my generation...

Or more specifically "Talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation" 😉

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thank you - we sang our way through the other three (not the whole songs, just the earworm parts). I associate this song more with Three Dog Night, I had a massive crush on Cory Wells in my young teenage years.

• LOL 1
On 12/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, Browncoat said:

The correct pronunciation of Don Juan depends on what you're talking about.  I think Byron's work is the only place it's Don Jew-wan.

My Lit professor used to always pronounce it "Don Jew-an."  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In" were recorded as a medley by The Fifth Dimension, and count as a single song for chart purposes.

The other song that charted was Oliver's recording of "Good Morning Starshine."  Sing it with me:  "Glibby gloop gloopy, nibby nobby noopy, la la la, lo lo..."

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

One more episode.......will be a sad time. 

I have never seen the musical Hair but new the answer right away.  I know exactly two things about that musical

The refrain from the song Age of Aquarius

Sometimes is performed nude

And I think that sum total of my knowledge of it comes somehow from the 80s sitcom Head of the Class

• LOL 6