Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Kinsey Milhone, private detective, in the Alphabet novels/mystery thrillers by Sue Grafton. She died before her last one was done; it would have been “Z is for Zero.” I have a coffee mug with “The Alphabet Ends With Y.” I was a big fan of that series.

I'm very familiar with the book covers (worked in bookstores for 8 years), and I knew she died before Z, but I'm not really a mystery reader so that's about all I know of them.

Like the contestants, I thought Robinson Crusoe, so then I went to Friday but that didn't really make sense...

• Love 3

I didn't watch the reruns, so it was exciting to get back to the show tonight - and then sad to remember this is the last week of Alex.  His opening remarks had me struggling to read the category titles through teary eyes.

The Charlie Chaplin TS surprised me (not that none of them knew the film, but that none of them guessed Chaplin for what had to be a famous comedic silent film star).  Cage did at first, too, but then I realized if I didn't have a friend who has budgies, I'd have no idea that's a type of bird.

I liked the reaction one of them (Brayden?) had to Amsterdam being revealed as the answer they'd all failed to reason their way to.

I only missed three in the first round - had no idea what NPC stood for or who two of the literary characters were - so it felt good to be back.  In DJ, I joined the contestants in not knowing The Illusionists (magic is not my thing), but otherwise ran that round.  I didn't get FJ, though; I had Don Quixote on my mental list of title characters, but couldn't come up with the sidekick's name for most of them, so wound up with no answer at all.

So, good game, but I only have four chances left to achieve my elusive perfect game (in a non-celebrity game) while Alex is host, and it's probably not going to happen.  It would really be something if I finally did it on his last game.

• Love 4

Like others above, I knew (well, guessed) Charlie Chaplin and was surprised they did not, and then, like Brayden, incorrectly thought FJ was Gulliver. 

I wanted Brayden to go on, but I would have been happy enough if he just broke $100K and the smart, hunky English teacher won. His DJ miss was a moment that will haunt him. 

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Teal should have bet zero! Not that it mattered in the end, but she *could* have won with $5000 -- she had no chance of winning by betting it all.  

I was trying to telegraph to Teal and to the English teacher to leave themselves at least a $1K cushion, but I guess ESP doesn't travel back in time.

6 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Damn, Alex had me crying within seconds of the show starting with that speech. How especially meaningful that is now. 😭

😢😭

• Love 3

I zeroed in on "island" and guess Jim Hawkins for FJ.  I was yelling ANTHROPOLOGY at the TV, but, y'know, I know these were taped back in October. Even if they COULD hear me, it's too late, anyway.  I laughingly said "Yosemite" and was stunned that I was right.

Tomorrow, I surely hope our affiliate airs J! on their sister station - they're starting Election Results as soon as the polls close at 7.  <---note: Not a political post; it's a post about programming.

• Love 7

I got Charlie Chaplin (love old BW and silent movies) and the TS of cage. I always had a budgerigar as a kid, and did a show-and-tell speech about budgies in junior high. I made a big drawing of the bird that had a removable piece on the top of its head and beak to show how when they age, they get a white forehead and the skin piece over the beak (cere) turns a color that shows whether the bird is male or female.

Long story as to how I knew budgies were kept in cages.

Finally, a FARMING category! I can look out my window to see farming going on. That's a category in my wheelhouse whereas mythology is not. Waiting for a Farming FJ.

It's finally happened, I have a crush on Brayden. I hope he stays forever. He's my new (well, current) teevee boyfriend.

I was way up on what FJ was asking for, but the island thing and the date removed Don Quixote/Sancho Panza from any guesses. Plus DQ was a wrong guess for me a few episodes ago and I wasn't going to go that route again. Not even going to post my FJ guess, i don't need to see your fingers pointing and hear your laughing.

• Love 6

I actually forgot we had one last Alex week;  I was all tense and nervous waiting for the debut of the post-Alex era.  That's next week.

I'm glad Alex got one last 5x-champion.  When it looked for a while as if Dave might take Brayden down, I was like "I guess maybe Dave could run the week", but I'm glad Brayden pulled it out.

Got Charlie Chaplin and Anthropology.  And Teal had no chance unless Brayden Clavin-ed;  his final total was as low as he was going to drop.  She should have bet a small amount to try and rise above Dave in case he was cautious and only risked $10,000 or so;  blasting to $0 was not math-based, I agree.

I thought FJ would be Shakespeare, so I got stuck on The Tempest for a bit.  And Robinson Crusoe is from the wrong century, anyhow, (1719, two centuries north of "16th"), so my desperate scramble to "Friday??" would have been in vain, too.

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I should have gotten cage, but my mind went from budgie to bird to nest, and then I got confused because “nest” isn’t made of abcdefg, and then time ran out.

Any episode with Brayden is going to be too quick for me to fully form answers in my mind unless nobody knows them.

With ABCDEFG for sides of a cube (or some similar clue) I thought EDGE, but it was FACE. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Kinsey Milhone, private detective, in the Alphabet novels/mystery thrillers by Sue Grafton. She died before her last one was done; it would have been “Z is for Zero.” I have a coffee mug with “The Alphabet Ends With Y.” I was a big fan of that series.

I was very sad that she wasn't able to finish her series.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked the reaction one of them (Brayden?) had to Amsterdam being revealed as the answer they'd all failed to reason their way to.

I heard the clue and said to myself "Oh, THAT's why it's called Amsterdam" - not sure that's reasoning my way to it, but it worked for me.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got Charlie Chaplin (love old BW and silent movies) and the TS of cage. I always had a budgerigar as a kid, and did a show-and-tell speech about budgies in junior high. I made a big drawing of the bird that had a removable piece on the top of its head and beak to show how when they age, they get a white forehead and the skin piece over the beak (cere) turns a color that shows whether the bird is male or female.

Long story as to how I knew budgies were kept in cages.

Finally, a FARMING category! I can look out my window to see farming going on. That's a category in my wheelhouse whereas mythology is not. Waiting for a Farming FJ.

It's finally happened, I have a crush on Brayden. I hope he stays forever. He's my new (well, current) teevee boyfriend.

I was way up on what FJ was asking for, but the island thing and the date removed Don Quixote/Sancho Panza from any guesses. Plus DQ was a wrong guess for me a few episodes ago and I wasn't going to go that route again. Not even going to post my FJ guess, i don't need to see your fingers pointing and hear your laughing.

I waffled for a second between Chaplin and Buster Keaton, but it was clearly more a Chaplin film.

I relied on my British Novel class in college, and was listing the books from around that era, sadly my mind did not go anywhere near Spain. If only I'd thought of musicals instead!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Bliss said:

Does anyone know if Brayden has a hearing issue? Especially with his left ear.

I keep wondering, when I see him twisting his head and leaning with his right ear during DD's - it's as if he wants to concentrate his hearing using his right ear only. He also squints a bit as he does it.

(I know. I'm curious about the strangest things.)

I'm glad Brayden will make it to the tournament of champions. He was lucky tonight in that his closest competition - David? - might have won if he'd not goofed in that last DD he found. Even I knew the answer! I think he did too... he simply forgot the category.

p.s. to be forwarded to heaven: Alex, your opening remarks got me right in the feels.

I hate Brayden so much that he ruined any heartwarming feeling I might've gotten from Alex's remarks.  I was so yelling "Anthropology!" at the tv during that DD.  Damn.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Like the contestants, I thought Robinson Crusoe, so then I went to Friday but that didn't really make sense...

I knew the date was wrong, but that was the only book I could think of.

Thanks to FJ, I've had bits of Man of La Mancha stuck in my head since last night.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

That probably kept him awake the night after his game. I know I'd be reliving it for weeks. 

I felt sorry for him, poor guy. He will remember that gaff forever I am sure. He was a beast on the buzzer. Too bad he lost his lucky pen. I blame his loss on that. He was really a stellar player, and that DD "everything" bet was admirable. He was there to win, that's for sure.

• Love 6

I felt sorry for him, poor guy. He will remember that gaff forever I am sure. He was a beast on the buzzer. Too bad he lost his lucky pen. I blame his loss on that. He was really a stellar player, and that DD "everything" bet was admirable. He was there to win, that's for sure.

He should have given himself a couple of more seconds to answer. After that mistake, he was off his game for a while. If he had gotten right back into it, I think he could have won.

This type of mistake, AND, not getting on the board for many many clues, like Teal, is why I would never go on Jeopardy. I would just be too nervous.

I also found Final Jeopardy confusing. "What are they looking for?!?" I said to my co-watchers. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I also found Final Jeopardy confusing. "What are they looking for?!?" I said to my co-watchers. 

Ditto.  I guessed Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver, without realizing it was not the title character they wanted. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I should get a one-half point for understanding the (confusing) FJ wording. I was trying to think of some guy who was sent to some island by someone else. If that island part had been left off, I might have come up with Sancho Panza.

No I wouldn't.

There have been a lot of FJ clues that have convoluted wording this season though, I'll give everyone that.

@helpmerhonda, you need to post your last-week's score in the FJ Contest thread!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I have never read Sue Grafton, but I guessed "detective" because that seems to me the most common occupation for any character with a very long novel series.  It was fun to get to use my Tillamook knowledge from all the appetizing commercials they serve me, never mind that I don't often see their product on shelves near me.

I am looking forward to seeing "Free Guy" but that clip was at least twice as long as it takes for me to get annoyed with ads-as-clues.  In other movie news, I had to laugh about "Rocketman."  I say sometimes that I go to the theatre as much as I go to a movie.  When the clue came up, I remembered the day I saw it.  I remembered munching my popcorn as I admired the chandelier and murals and listened to the organ prelude.  I remembered coming out into the evening air under the bright marquee thinking about what I'd just seen.  I remembered everything about it other than what on earth it was called.

22 hours ago, Bliss said:

Does anyone know if Brayden has a hearing issue? Especially with his left ear.

Someone claiming to be Brayden answered a few questions on Reddit before the holidays and, acknowledging the head-cocks and squints, said that he neither hears nor sees entirely well.  I offer the "claiming to be" caveat although nothing he wrote gave me cause to mistrust him simply because, while forum moderators will sometimes verify the identity of people who create "I am so-and-so: ask me anything" threads, I don't think that was done because these were just comments on other threads, and I suppose anyone could register and claim to be him.

However his senses are, Brayden seems to be on a roll, so good for him.  David had my sympathy when he forgot the category, as I often do, in his Daily Double.  It just wasn't meant to be for him without his lucky pen, I guess.  I was interested to hear what kind of a policy intern Brayden is.  Criminal justice reform is noble work.  It's with the Cato Institute, apparently, which I hadn't been able to discover until he said more about it.

Edited by 853fisher
spelling, my goodness!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

After Alex’s heartwarming speech I found it harder to read the clues through tears. Like most of you I got Carlie Chaplin and anthropology. I was also SMH at Teal for her lack of strategy betting for FJ which I didn’t get. I think you could have given he 10 minutes and I still wouldn’t have gotten it. Anyway it’s an * for any of you that did. 

• Love 4

Do I, like Alex, have jinx power?  There I was a few short hours ago, admiring Brayden’s luck and skill as he gathered steam quickly and went DD-hunting.  And now it’s over for him.  As I said last year, I wouldn’t list him among the players I’d most like to grab a drink with, but he played well, so I applaud him.

That was a bit of a damp squib of a game, I have to say.  Although I knew FJ right away, I can’t act very high and mighty because I gave many of the same incorrect answers the players did throughout the game.  LVMH, I have now learned, is the French conglomerate that owns Louis Vuitton and Moët Hennessy.

Speaking of collections, I misheard Alex’s remark at the beginning of the interviews and thought he said “most of the contestants who appear on Jeopardy are electors.”  What an odd thing to say, I thought.  Oy!  I’d better get to bed early.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Without giving anything away, prepared to be confused again today.

I wasn't confused by the clue's wording but I didn't get it until Alex said they both had the same name. My first thought was Georgia and that's as far as I got until he made that comment and then I said, "duh..."

Damn, Jeopardy was not Brayden's round (DJ not so much, either). I predicted they would give him "like" for "some," though. Manisha was too slow choosing clues. I hate that. They left 2 clues in J and 4 in DJ unread. But I liked her well enough otherwise.

I said blue-green algae...I wonder if they would have given me that one.

Thanks to "red shift" I now have this stuck in my head. Not complaining, mind you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csPCltdUgJg

4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Without giving anything away, prepared to be confused again today.

I didn't find that FJ clue confusing at all.  It wanted two states named for father and son kings with the same name.  It helps to be very familiar with the history of English kings.  Charles I was executed in 1649 after Oliver Cromwell's revolution, and his son Charles II was put on the throne by the Restoration in 1660.  Charles and Carolina come from the same root word.  My state is named for Charles I's queen, Henrietta Maria.  (Yes, I am an English history nerd.)

Edited by proserpina65
Because "route" and "root" mean different things
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Brayden's been pretty slow with his answers, so it was as much his fault as hers that they left clues on the board.

Hallelujah, he's gone!

True enough. Between the two of them....

I didn't dislike him, but I'm not upset with a new champ, either.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It wanted two states named for father and son kings with the same name.

It did not say they had the same name. The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649. I, like the contestants, assumed there were two names (ie two states--one for the father and one for the son). Which is why we all went for Georgia and struggled for the other state.

• Love 6

FJ was an instaget and reminds me--I've been watching Celebrity Mastermind on Britbox and have 3 observations:

Most of the contestants are as unknown to me as the "stars" on Dancing with the Stars and as bad as the celebrities on Celebrity Jeopardy; I know more British history than half of them; it's astonishing how many of the questions are about America.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't find that FJ clue confusing at all.  It wanted two states named for father and son kings with the same name.  It helps to be very familiar with the history of English kings.  Charles I was executed in 1649 after Oliver Cromwell's revolution, and his son Charles II was put on the throne by the Restoration in 1660.  Charles and Carolina come from the same root word.  My state is named for Charles I's queen, Henrietta Maria.  (Yes, I am an English history nerd.)

I also had no difficulty with this one.  I know my English kings and know my colonial American history.   I also live in one of them.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, illdoc said:

It did not say they had the same name. The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649. I, like the contestants, assumed there were two names (ie two states--one for the father and one for the son). Which is why we all went for Georgia and struggled for the other state.

And then there was me, who spent the first little while wondering what exactly they meant by 'state' - were they referring to US states or sovereign states? I did eventually decide they wanted US states, and assumed the two states had similar names. First thought of Virginia/West Virginia, before deciding on the Carolinas in the nick of time.

The red dwarf answer had me cracking up. At least white dwarf wasn't a terrible answer, but red?!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Guess it helped to know who was executed in 1649.  Wasn't George.  (P.S. My favorite party trick is naming every British monarch from Edward the Confessor to Elizabeth II, and about half of their spouses.)

Seriously, that FJ was so easy for me, I knew it before Alex was done reading the clue.  I'd have been deeply ashamed if I hadn't known.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

The red dwarf answer had me cracking up. At least white dwarf wasn't a terrible answer, but red?!

Unfortunately it was the first word out of my mouth - because of the tv show, I'm sure.  After it and white were ruled wrong, I almost said yellow, but thought maybe it was some kind of science-y thing I didn't get.

• Love 3

I took umbrage that mustard was not a clue or answer in the condiments category. It’s my favorite. 
I got road map, green, the missed DD of Carrie, and (yay) FJ*. I was also surprised how Braydon really had a slump this game leading to our getting a new winner Manisha. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Speaking of collections, I misheard Alex’s remark at the beginning of the interviews and thought he said “most of the contestants who appear on Jeopardy are electors.”  What an odd thing to say, I thought.  Oy!  I’d better get to bed early.

I heard it the same way!  And I was very confused for a second.

FJ was an instaguess -- I knew it couldn't be the Dakotas, so it had to be the Carolinas.  And then I spent the rest of the time second-guessing, but decided it had to be two states with the same name (and knew it couldn't be the Virginias).  Yay, asterisk!

I am astonished, and maybe a little sad that no one got Ghostbusters!  And Brayden calls himself a nerd.  In addition to that, I also got road map, green, and Carrie.  I have never seen nor read Carrie, but I know all about the prom scene.

• Love 4

Not a clue for FJ. I guessed Louisiana and Georgia just because those have names in them. 
I don’t know how we were supposed to know they had the same name. The clue said named for “father and son” which pointed me in the direction of two names.

And it would never occur to me that “Carolina” is from Charles. 🤷‍♀️

Sad Brayden is gone, I really enjoyed him. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 6

We were not supposed to know they had the same name necessarily (not from the clue anyway). Just know which father and son kings had states named for them. My knee-jerk response was NC and SC but then I thought "oh no what if one is Georgia...but no...the Georges are too far away from the Charleses". Also it'd be too cruel if they were looking for one Carolina and one non-Carolina.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the ts of Kelly Clarkson, Yesterday, yellow dwarf (seriously nobody knows the color of the sun), green algae, red, Ghostbusters, Carrie.

I couldn't believe they didn't know the color of the sun. FJ was an insta-get for me, too. I'm not sure why. Living in Georgia, I dismissed my own state to go to the neighboring states.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

And it would never occur to me that “Carolina” is from Charles.

It's from the Latin form of the name, "Carolus." The root is also seen in the term for the Carolingian Dynasty/Empire, which was led by Charlemagne and his father Charles Martel in the 8th and 9th centuries. In the medieval period, official documents were usually written in Latin, so English (and other) kings all had Latinized versions of their names - Carolus, Henricus, Edwardus, Jacobus (for James), etc. This practice continued in England even after English become the dominant language used in documents, probably because Latin was still viewed as fancier and more authoritative.

Back to the episode- I'm glad Manisha won, mainly because I want to give as many players a chance to have their moment as champion with Alex as possible, and also because she was clearly the strongest player in this mediocre game. I grew to appreciate Brayden's broad knowledge base, but he really fell apart today.

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 5

12 hours ago, illdoc said:

I went the Georgia route, even toyed with Louisiana but since Louis is the only name for French Kings I know, that went nowhere. Then I focused on the north/south and Virginias and dismissed all of them "Carolina's a girl's name" Duh... I even vaguely knew they were named for Charles, but that vagueness didn't clarify until the answer was revealed.

10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got road map, and was yelling Carrie at the tv.  Set in Maine said Stephen King & prom said Carrie.

Even if I didn't know it (King fan) I thought Maine would bring her to King - to Carrie. Sadly not.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was also surprised how Braydon really had a slump this game leading to our getting a new winner Manisha. 

Brayden slumped a bit in the previous one too, but his worthy opponent (David) choked on that DJ. 
Manisha was also really good, but only time will tell if that was because of the categories, like "Her First Hit." If all categories were words beginning and starting with specific letters (like "Oy! It's Words from 'O' TO 'Y'") I'd be a fabulous player, LOL.

But Manisha is very likeable, and so a fitting champion for Alex's last episodes.
Poor Alex's suit jacket was looking too roomy. 😞 

For me, Brayden's loss felt almost poignant, like it was symbolic and prescient of Alex's soon departure.
I'm glad Brayden said that his coin collecting was because he was a "nerd." I hope it might dispel some of the Brayden dislike as we nerds see him as one of us. Plus, I'm very proud of my daughter who works in Criminal Justice Reform, and was happy to hear (I think in the previous day's interview) that Brayden appreciated the work too——that it wasn't *just* an internship for him. I might try to follow the future of Brayden Smith.  

Specific Questions for the Answers* 

I knew "Yesterday" for the Beatles song $400 Adverb. "Yesterday" is a favorite song of mine, and I'm old enough to have loved it since it was first played on the radio.

I correctly deduced "North Pole" for $200 Historic Happenings "A newspaper gave Robert Peary $4,000 on condition that he reach this point & sure enough, in 1909 he wired them that he had," but then I used to do well buying cheaper Monopoly properties too.
Brayden really was losing his sharpness.
Do they film several in one day? That would explain it.

Shouldn't Brayden's "like" have been an acceptable alternative to "some" for the $1000 Adverbs "This 4-letter word is an adverb when found before a number to mean 'about', as in 'we had to drive ____ 50 miles to get there'"? 

* See all at http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6897
I had to record it at 3am because it was pre-empted by the Georgia election. I had recorded it at 3:30pm because of errands, but when I started to play it back, there was a chyron saying that it was airing over the air on 7.2 instead of the channel 7 over the air channel I had recorded on my old-school DVR. 

• Love 3

The woman in the middle would have done a lot better if she hadn't kept making wrong guesses.

I didn't write down all my ts's but I know I got yellow, Carrie, road map, and Yesterday.

Instaget FJ; I even pre-called it after the category was revealed.  The clue didn't say it was the same name for both men - in fact it didn't even say they were both kings - but it was a reasonable assumption.

Shouldn't Brayden's "like" have been an acceptable alternative to "some" for the $1000 Adverbs "This 4-letter word is an adverb when found before a number to mean 'about', as in 'we had to drive ____ 50 miles to get there'"? 

He was given credit for it.

Edited by Trey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I might try to follow the future of Brayden Smith.  

Brayden really was losing his sharpness.  Do they film several in one day? That would explain it.

They generally do five a day, although Alex's last week was taped in two days.  Either way, this was Brayden's second episode of the day.  I would be curious to see what he does in the future if I think of him, and I guess I certainly will around TOC time, but I had an awful lot of trouble finding out just what kind of a policy intern he was to begin with.  I think his name is just a bit too common for casual Googling.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope it might dispel some of the Brayden dislike as we nerds see him as one of us.

Not for me.  I feel no nerd solidarity, despite being a bit of one myself.

53 minutes ago, Trey said:

Instaget FJ; I even pre-called it after the category was revealed.  The clue didn't say it was the same name for both men - in fact it didn't even say they were both kings - but it was a reasonable assumption.

For me, king & father who was executed could only have been Charles II & his father, Charles I.  The only other king I know of who was executed was Louis XVI in France, and his son never became king after him.  Okay, the clue didn't specify that they had the same name, but it seemed obvious to me that they must have.

• Love 2