Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Ailianna said:

With all respect to Alex, but the Spanish didn't discover any of the Americas since people were already here.  But you especially can't say they discovered something when you say in the same breath that a little boy lead them to it! That makes me think "I don't think that word means what you think it means!"

Sorry. But that bugged. The game was good but I do hope we get to see people in familiar with, like some of those who made the various ultimate TOC games. I get the theme but I like connecting with the contestants more. Pam Mueller for example would be fun to see.

I'm not sure it exactly bugged me, but it did amuse me to some extent. It's just such a typical European oriented statement.

11 hours ago, Driad said:

Likely many of us thought, "That sounds like a Pyrrhic victory, so his name must have been something like Pyrrhus."

Whereas we went "general? Has to be Hannibal." For no other reason than that.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Are you implying that we're naughty?   😉

I don't know about you, but I'd like to think I fit that description. 😉

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Lucky Santa!

I guess I shouldn't complain about 19 degrees and 30mph winds.  🙂  For the first time in years, though, we actually have snow on the ground at Christmas!  Only about 3-4 inches, but for here, that's a lot.  (I will complain a little, since my heat pump is still broken -- even after they fixed it Monday.  It's running on aux heat, but it can only keep the house at about 63-64 degrees when it's this cold outside!)

That is cold. Brrr. I have noticed that though we keep our heat at 62 during the winter, when it's colder outside it still seems colder inside, even when the temperature's the same inside.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Driad said:

Likely many of us thought, "That sounds like a Pyrrhic victory, so his name must have been something like Pyrrhus."

Maybe many of YOU thought that, but not one single one of US did.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Whereas we went "general? Has to be Hannibal." For no other reason than that.

That's the only name I could come up with too. Hannibal, the elephant guy. I figured it was tough going,  riding elephant over mountains.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Driad said:

Exactly my thought process.

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I guess I shouldn't complain about 19 degrees and 30mph winds.  🙂  For the first time in years, though, we actually have snow on the ground at Christmas!  

Heh, we have a few leftover mounds on the grass from where the plows piled the snow from last week's storm, but yesterday was so warm and then we got so much rain last night most of it is gone. I don't mind the rain but the wind got a little scary at times.

• Love 1

Well, clearly I don't remember these games, because I didn't get FJ tonight, either.  Paging Browncoat for the table for one!  Because that's all I got right this week. 

And the only TS I got were horn, nitrogen, and carbon.  

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Heh, we have a few leftover mounds on the grass from where the plows piled the snow from last week's storm, but yesterday was so warm and then we got so much rain last night most of it is gone. I don't mind the rain but the wind got a little scary at times.

We hardly got anything with last week's storm -- I guess we made up for it this week!  It rained all day yesterday, then the temps plummeted about 20 degrees in something like an hour.  There was a thin layer of ice under all the snow.  Made cleaning off the car and the deck lots of fun.  The high today was 21. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

We hardly got anything with last week's storm -- I guess we made up for it this week!  It rained all day yesterday, then the temps plummeted about 20 degrees in something like an hour.  There was a thin layer of ice under all the snow.  Made cleaning off the car and the deck lots of fun.  The high today was 21. 

The top and bottom of the snow was basically frozen last week. I literally had to beat the top of my car to break it up before I could push it off. Yesterday was 60 degrees, this afternoon was in the upper 40s when I left, and now it's 32 (at 9:40pm), which is also tomorrow's high.

No Jeopardy tonight. Glad they rescheduled Alex's last week because ABC had basketball or something.

• Love 3

I got the TSs of J.D. Salinger and trees. I also liked the shout out to stirrup pants, too funny because of our discussion about them just the other day.

For FJ I said John Houston. I suppose AT would have cracked at me that he's not funny either, just like Hitchcock wasn't.

I'm reclaiming my T41 chair, thank you very much, so back off Browncoat.

• LOL 2

Jeopardy! was pre-empted for stupid basketball tonight.  Hiss boo! I looked at the J! archive site, and I did not get FJ.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, however it was observed. Nice quiet day here.  After last night’s stormy weather, today was a calmer day. I got to Skype with daughter and family, so that was nice. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Surely you can make room for me?  I don't take up too much space.  🙂 

Oh yes, there is plenty of room at the T41. I just want my regular chair, which has become molded to my shape for ultimate long-time comfort. Hoping a few more will join us, maybe someone who can bring snacks, treats and drinks ...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Jeopardy! coincidence: Adam West and "batusi" were a clue on J! - later on we watched a couple of old Simpsons Christmas episodes and Adam West was on Mr. Plow and he did the batusi.

Did not get Billy Wilder.  I thought of Mel Brooks or Carl Reiner but Mel Brooks is still alive and Carl Reiner died only this year. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It would have been a rerun, and I assume they'll continue to show those, right? 

Yes, this coming week is more reruns of Alex's travels and then the following week is his last week of new games (starting January 4).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Jeopardy! was pre-empted for stupid basketball tonight.  Hiss boo! I looked at the J! archive site, and I did not get FJ.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, however it was observed. Nice quiet day here.  After last night’s stormy weather, today was a calmer day. I got to Skype with daughter and family, so that was nice. 

It didn't run here either. So we watched the 1930's version of A Christmas Carol.  @saber5055 do you have the link to Friday's episode so I can check FJ? Nevermind. I forgot that it's Saturday and you always have the FJ questions posted. 

Except for not seeing Jeopardy, had a wonderful quiet Christmas. Hope you all had the same.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

@saber5055 do you have the link to Friday's episode so I can check FJ? Nevermind. I forgot that it's Saturday and you always have the FJ questions posted. 

Did you mean this↓ or is there something else?

On 12/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

Friday, Dec. 25                 Niagara Falls    (Original Airdate: 01/15/09)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2872

Week 2: Dec. 28 - Jan. 1
Monday, Dec. 28              Journey Through Israel  (Original Airdate: 11/23/09)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3224
Tuesday, Dec. 29             Galápagos Wildlife  (Original Airdate: 12/09/09)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3242
Wednesday, Dec. 30        Operatic Costumes: The Met  (Original Airdate: 11/09/11)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3755
Thursday, Dec. 31            Petra  (Original Airdate: 11/14/11)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3759
Friday, Jan. 1                   National Museum of African American History and Culture  (Original Airdate: 2/06/17)   http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5518

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Jeopardy did not air today here in New York. Seriously they have only two more weeks with Alex and they pre-empt one? 😑

It would have been a good one for a New Yorker as Alex was at Niagara Falls. I was lucky it was not preempted here as that station ran local choirs singing Christmas carols all day, then stopped for Jeopardy and local news. Yeay.

Even though it was an old rerun, it won't be rerun. Just skipped in the lineup.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I liked Thursday's Supreme Court category too.  If only I'd had about 45 seconds extra for all of them.  Remember that movie from 10 or 15 years ago where Adam Sandler had a remote that let him pause, FFWD, etc?

On Friday, I didn't think Meagan should've been given credit for "silicon."  She clearly said "silicone" first, which I think shouldn't have led to BMS or "say it again" but to "no, sorry."  She got lucky there.

Vincent Pastore's last-minute replacement on DWTS was John Ratzenberger of "Cheers," who also played Hamm in "Toy Story" and has I think had a cameo in everything Pixar since then.  His partner was Edyta, the one who loved to wear legwarmers in the training room and sometimes paired them with a few strategically placed tea towels for particularly racy costumes.  YouTube offers this fun memory.  He certainly exceeded many people's expectations, including mine, and had a good run.  If anyone can tell me why I can remember that kind of thing after fifteen years but not why I went to the grocery store etc, I'd be delighted to know. 😉 

Sorry to admit that I have never knowingly heard an Elvis Costello song.  He's a bit later than most of the music I seek out.  Fortunately for me, several of the clues had another "in."  I knew the one about the aborted SNL performance because, although I rarely watch the show, I find the way people write about it fascinating and like to read behind-the-scenes type articles I come across.  IIRC, he didn't think "Less Than Zero" would be well understood by an American audience but it's what his label wanted.  I almost think I might've gotten it without knowing that particular story.  There's a certain self-seriousness I feel permeates many of these stories about "so-and-so went on and did such-and-such and wasn't allowed back for 11 years."

• Love 6

Happy surprise!  The episode that was supposed to be on last night was shown tonight!  The champ was from Chincoteague Island, one of my favorite places in Virginia. I remembered the FJ answer from when I looked it up yesterday.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Vincent Pastore's last-minute replacement on DWTS was John Ratzenberger of "Cheers," who also played Hamm in "Toy Story" and has I think had a cameo in everything Pixar since then.  His partner was Edyta, the one who loved to wear legwarmers in the training room and sometimes paired them with a few strategically placed tea towels for particularly racy costumes.  YouTube offers this fun memory.  He certainly exceeded many people's expectations, including mine, and had a good run.  If anyone can tell me why I can remember that kind of thing after fifteen years but not why I went to the grocery store etc, I'd be delighted to know. 😉

The first time I saw Edyta dance 'live' (Toronto, Ballroom with a Twist), her partner stepped on her "tea towel" of a dress and she was nearly naked for a nanosecond.

I can answer your memory question: you're probably like me - old! LOL (Hint: make lists)

• LOL 3
56 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Vincent Pastore's last-minute replacement on DWTS was John Ratzenberger of "Cheers," who also played Hamm in "Toy Story" and has I think had a cameo in everything Pixar since then.

He has actually been a character in every Pixar movie, except perhaps the newest one, "Soul".  He's not in the credits for that one, and it's not listed on his IMDB page.

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I know I watched that season (I think it was the first one I watched) but I don't remember him being on it. Watching that video just had me thinking, "did she take a swim in a pool full of self tanner before the show?"

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Happy surprise!  The episode that was supposed to be on last night was shown tonight!  The champ was from Chincoteague Island, one of my favorite places in Virginia. I remembered the FJ answer from when I looked it up yesterday.

Aw, man...I should have checked. I thought about the fact that sometimes there's a J! rerun on Saturday but I didn't look.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I can answer your memory question: you're probably like me - old! LOL (Hint: make lists)

I'm in my later 20s, if you can believe it!  My knees and back don't seem to know it, but it's true.  I hear my memory and joints will only get better from here.  I'd better get started on those lists now.

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

He has actually been a character in every Pixar movie, except perhaps the newest one, "Soul".  He's not in the credits for that one, and it's not listed on his IMDB page.

This had me worried that he wasn't well!  Here the director says he is included but he wants us to find him for ourselves.  As excited as I was for "Soul,"  I'm just not interested in streaming movies at home.  The theatrical experience is just so important to me.  Here's hoping they do show it there sometime in 2021, and that Google will be able to tell me who he played by then if I can't figure it out.

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Watching that video just had me thinking, "did she take a swim in a pool full of self tanner before the show?"

The makeup head told "Women's Weekly" a few years ago that she expected to go through 5 gallons of spray tan and 30 bottles of bronzer that season.  I thought those numbers seemed low, but then I think Edyta had moved on by then.  I would have loved for Alex to do it, and he always looked like he'd seen the sun recently, so they could've saved a few ounces at least.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

As excited as I was for "Soul,"  I'm just not interested in streaming movies at home.

Stream it.  It's worth it.

Also, reading that article gives me an(other) excuse to watch it again -- to try to find Ratzenberger.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The theatrical experience is just so important to me.

I'm with you. My weekly movie was a highlight of my life. When I lived in town and theaters weren't an hour's drive away, I would typically see three to four movies a week, sometimes more. I love the theater, everything about it. (Except when some jerk sat in the seat right next to me in a nearly empty theater, one where you had to reserve your seat so he knew mine was taken. He did move one seat away after I gave him an earful, and not in a nice way.)

I'm not able to stream movies like you fancy rich people, and I even stopped renting movie DVDs from the library since, while I think the local one might be open now, I am not comfortable going in any place these days.

1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

fancy rich people

I wish!  I miss the movie theater so much, I can't even tell you!  But, as I have said before, I am Pixar's bitch, so I'll see pretty much anything they release, however it's released, and usually the first weekend if not the first day.  And being able to see it as many times as I want (plus their entire library!) for far less than the price of a single matinee?  Heavenly.  Even if I have to watch on my iPad.

Speaking of libraries, @saber5055, my local one is not open for people to go in, but they are offering curbside service for all their materials.  Yours might be as well.  Would you feel more comfortable getting DVDs from them that way?  

• Love 3

Our library's doing the same thing. You request your book online, they email you when it's there. You call, give your card # & they tell you when they have an opening for you to come pick up the book(s). It's usually a four-hour window.  You drive up & park. In the warmer months, they had a tent & table at the edge of the parking lot. NOW you go in the first set of doors and wait in the "airlock." The second set is blocked by a table. Tell 'em who you are & the fetch a brown paper bag with your book(s) or DVD(s) in it.  Contact-less because they place the bag on the table. I still wear gloves.  Return via the drive-through book drop.

I saw part of an ad for The Chase with Jennings. So he's doing that AND Jeopardy! ?

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw part of an ad for The Chase with Jennings. So he's doing that AND Jeopardy! ?

Isn't Kens also on Master Minds?  I don't know when they were filmed, the Game Network here in Philadelphia PA is currently showing Season 2.

I believe some of you play jetpunk, and today was the first time I saw this clue (for a quiz titled, "2020 Year in Review - The United States"):

"TV show whose host, Alex Trebek, died of pancreatic cancer"

😞

• Love 1

I've been enjoying the reruns with Alex in different locations. He certainly did have a full and rewarding life and career, getting to travel and meet so many interesting people. 

I'm lucky that I have so many books I won't need to go to the library for years, there is always one more on my shelf that I haven't read yet. I like reading the book recommendations here though, I trust you people to know what's good to put on my list for future reads.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Isn't Kens also on Master Minds?  I don't know when they were filmed, the Game Network here in Philadelphia PA is currently showing Season 2.

I believe that Master Minds, Season 2, was filmed during the summer.  I remember seeing advertisements for contestants sometime last spring.  I suspect that the entirety of season 2 is already in the can.

Assuming Jeopardy! keeps to the same schedule it had before, it only records two days a week.  Ken could conceivably work on The Chase and Master Minds on other days.  On The Chase, in particular, he wouldn't need to be there for every game, since he's one of three chasers, and only one chaser plays in a given game.

Back in the old days, when there were a lot more game shows on the air, guys like Bill Cullen or Wink Martindale seemed to host several shows at the same time.  It's a matter of scheduling, I suppose, but I think it's feasible to work on more than one show at once.

Edited by MrAtoz
Corrected typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

when there were a lot more game shows on the air, guys like Bill Cullen or Wink Martindale seemed to host several shows at the same time. 

And when Bill wasn't hosting, he was often a "celebrity player" (a panelist on "I've Got a Secret", a clue giver on "Password", etc.) Even Alex did "Classic Concentration" at the same time as J! for several years.

• Love 2

The clue about grapefruit and medications in today's episode was blatantly wrong. The interaction many medications have with grapefruit is due to compounds within the grapefruit juice inhibiting an enzyme in our body (CYP3A4) that breaks down many medications (and is responsible for activating a few others). Grapefruit juice often leads to a build-up of the medication in the body.

The clue stated: More than 50 medications are affected by the juice of this citrus fruit; its enzymes break down the meds.

Of course, I had no idea for FJ, so clearly I am not that smart 😛

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

For FJ, I recognized Milne as the author of Winnie the Pooh, but did not think of Grand Poo-Bah for "this hyphenated title for a pompous functionary," even though I'm familiar with the phrase and have even spoken it. I’m sure my mother would have known it and shouted it out at the TV. I learned to read with those books at home. 
Interesting that if Ben had not had the correct answer, he would have lost to the more conservative wagering Patrick with the Tigger guess.

I kept wondering if Cathy's buzzer wasn't working properly, but I guess she was just not fast enough? She was willing to wager everything (and lost it) in FJ.

Edited by shapeshifter

It looks like AT is walking through a time portal when he enters the set at the beginning of the show. In a way, he is.

It's probably just me (of course it is), but CURRENT BLACK PRESIDENTS as one of the color categories made me uncomfortable.

Based on one of the interviews, is Walter Reed due to close? This was taped in 2009 and it's still open as far as I know.

And another interview ... I have two friends who do cowboy shooting, one in California, one in Iowa. I don't do cowboy shooting but I do do (heh, "do do") varmint shooting.

I question the player getting an okay for his answer of Democratic Republic of THE Congo for DRC. Especially since he put the "the" in the middle of all the words.

Two TSs: Receptor and peach.

And FJ was easy for me. Perhaps because I watched The Flintstones as a kid. Grand Poobah just became part of my vocabulary.

• Love 2

I got FJ and have been humming the Winnie the Pooh theme song ever since.

20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Based on one of the interviews, is Walter Reed due to close? This was taped in 2009 and it's still open as far as I know.

The Walter Reed Army Medical Center (in DC) closed in 2011; it was combined with the National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda, Maryland in 2011 to form the tri-service Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. 

• Useful 2

Something about today made me really appreciate the creativity of the writers.  The "Celebrity Jeopardy" round was particularly clever, and so was the "Needy Hits" category.  I got FJ before Alex finished reading, although Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble were paying dues to the grand poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffalo centuries before "Mikado," so this clue may require review.  Apparently it is correct according to Shelley's rhyme scheme, but I must say "Don Jew-wan" is nothing I'd heard before.  Here, just for fun, is one of my favorites from Django Reinhardt.  Since I can't help myself, here it is sung by the fabulous Al Bowlly, who died at 43 in the last month of the Blitz.

I wondered whether "the cat's pajamas" would've flown for "the cat's meow"?  I think so.  The New York Times ran an item in November 1922 about a suspected publicity stunt: "Sunday afternoon strollers in lower Fifth Avenue were treated to the unusual sight yesterday of a young woman clad in transparent yellow silk pajamas, escorted by four cats, also clad in pajamas, leisurely making her way along the avenue... 'Cat’s pajamas,' mused one of the patrolmen, 'wait a minute, I think there’s a publicity scheme afoot.'"  "The cat's whiskers" was also used around that time, apparently.  I found a writeup on Medium which drily notes that Urban Dictionary's etymology "from E.B. Katz, an English tailor of the late 1700’s and early 1800’s: nothing beat a catnap in Katz' pajamas" is, without further evidence, "questionable."

Although I think it's too bad Brooke Burns was not retained as host from the GSN version, I am very much looking forward to the J! trio on "The Chase."  My library, like others', is doing pickups only, and only at some branches.  It seems that everything I want is at one that isn't reopened, or just not available.  This is why I haven't gotten any of the Hiaasen recommended yet.  I think I still have a book they need back anyway.  Shhhh, nobody snitch!  You all have certainly tempted me to watch "Soul" sooner than may be possible in theatres.  We'll see.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I wondered whether "the cat's pajamas" would've flown for "the cat's meow"?

The category was sounds that kitties make, so it had to be meow.

Alex always pronounces it Don Ju-an, at least when referring to the Byron work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's probably just me (of course it is), but CURRENT BLACK PRESIDENTS as one of the color categories made me uncomfortable.

Color categories? 

I thought the SNL categories were really clever, that one especially! 

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Alex always pronounces it Don Ju-an, at least when referring to the Byron work.

I know. I've gotten used to him saying Don Jew-Ann over the years, but if I hadn't seen the written clue I wouldn't have any idea, even after all the times I've heard AT say it that way.

I don't have any idea of the correct way to say it, but I suppose I'd have to go with the Jeopardy way. My friends would hate me if I said Don Jew-Ann though.

• Love 3

Speaking of Alex's pronunciation, I giggle every time I remember him saying (in his thick German accent), "Mercedes Benz" a few days ago.

I'm not sure why such moments crack me up, or why it makes me miss him even more... could it be that he reminds me so much of my Dad? The smile, the intelligence, the wit, the sarcasm, and the ability to mimic accents... and of course, that twinkle in his eyes. Damn. This grief seems never-ending at times.

• Love 6

I said Shelley earlier when I meant Byron.  Nobody noticed because I was too busy writing a paragraph about "pajamas" as a potential response under "sounds that kitties make." 😉 Anyway, I read a little of it and Byron apparently bent the strictly correct Spanish pronunciation so that he could rhyme "Juan" with "true one," "threw on," "new one," etc.  I never doubted that Alex would be correct in the context of the poem, but I wish I'd been as nervy as Byron when I was trying to bend creative writing to my will!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I said Shelley earlier when I meant Byron.  Nobody noticed because I was too busy writing a paragraph about "pajamas" as a potential response under "sounds that kitties make." 😉 Anyway, I read a little of it and Byron apparently bent the strictly correct Spanish pronunciation so that he could rhyme "Juan" with "true one," "threw on," "new one," etc.  I never doubted that Alex would be correct in the context of the poem, but I wish I'd been as nervy as Byron when I was trying to bend creative writing to my will!

I noticed... 😉 

(I just chose not to correct it.)

• LOL 3

Interesting discussion on Shelly's Juan vs. every Spanish-speaking person's Juan. I guess the Jew-ann pronunciation is because of Shelly's forced rhyming (Thanks fisher) since I'm not aware of recordings from Shelly's time. But then, there are a lot of things I'm not aware of, as most of you know.