Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was so upset at myself for not getting Charlotte Corday on Wednesday. I kept yelling at the screen... "That woman... she slit Marat's neck!!!" etc. etc.

Aside from knowing it from history classes back in the day, there is a famous painting of Marat by Jacques-Louis Davidwhich depicts the aftermath of the act, and this art history major knows it well... on the tip of my tongue for all thirty seconds of "Think!" and was massively disappointed in myself. I felt like the guy in the "Aaron Burr" Got Milk commercial....

Edited by theartandsound
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, theartandsound said:

I was so upset at myself for not getting Charlotte Corday on Wednesday. I kept yelling at the screen... "That woman... she slit Marat's neck!!!" etc. etc.

Me, too! I sat there yelling she's the woman that murdered Marat in the bathtub. And there was a play about them. Called Marat/Sade 'cause the real name is really, really long. And it takes place in an insane asylum. And...time's up.

But I couldn't remember her name.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade

I had to look it up because I couldn't remember the name of the asylum.  Judy Collins' album "In My Life" has a song called Marat/Sade.  "Poor old Marat, they hunt you down; the bloodhounds are sniffing all over the town. Just yesterday your printing press, was smashed now they're asking your home address..."   If I had known Marat was the guy killed in the clue, I probably could have gotten Charlotte Corday.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Who was the contestant in the last few weeks who said she was inspired to do something related to art (you can tell I always give my undivided attention to the interviews) when she saw Botticelli's "Primavera" in class?  I wonder if she saw the painting by David.  Perhaps it's best that she just drew her life's work from some maidens and their friends in a clearing instead.

Johnny Gilbert taught me to pronounce Newark the Delawarean way, apparently, and not as the New Jerseyites do.  I got lucky on FJ because I was reading about women in government a while back and came across that bit of trivia.  The runner-up is Health and Human Services.  There have been 5, and although there had only been 4 when this episode taped, that would still be the one.

I was curious to learn which insurance company Jefferson Davis helmed.  It was the Carolina Life Insurance Co., which took a bath in the Panic of 1873, and he resigned after a merger that year against his wishes.  The combined company went under a few years later.  He declined academic leadership roles, like the college presidency Lee accepted at my alma mater, as he needed more than they would pay.

The contestants do seem to leave many of these travel categories for last.  I wonder whether they have reason to believe those will not likely be skipped?  It seems to me that the expense associated with producing those categories would be difficult to justify if they were not must-use.  If I were the producers, I would find 20 seconds elsewhere to finish them if needed, and perhaps that is conveyed or suggested.

Finally, does anyone remember the episode of "Parks & Recreation" where Leslie shows us the elaborate rubric she uses to judge the Miss Pawnee pageant?  She awards points for "fruitful gestures."  I have to imagine that Roger would have earned the lion's share based on all that's going on with his hands.  My father does much of the same and I picked up a lot of it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, Clanstarling said:

As a former library student, I knew Jefferson's books were the foundation of the Library of Congress v.2 (after the Brits had burned the original down in the war of 1812). He sold his books and came up with the cataloging system that was the bane of my library school days. Dewey Decimal is FAR more logical, imo.

Same for me (serials cataloger here!), although I don't think I ever learned Jefferson's cataloging system.  It's been years since I've done anything with Dewey Decimal.  I work in a university library, so we use Library of Congress Classification (which was invented in the 1870s for the specific purpose of replacing Jefferson's system, so it must have been pretty bad).

I knew Charlotte Corday, but I always want to add an extra "R" and call her "Cordray."  That's what I did this time as well, and so I would have gotten it wrong.

I remember the Opera Costumes category from when it was on originally.  As a theater person, I loved seeing all those costumes.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too wondered about Tom Nissley's aspirations to be an author and am a little sad to see that there's no sign of the historical fiction he described to Alex, and this aired 9 years ago. But good for him that he is employed in the publishing world. Maybe he is still working on a novel.

I know an author whose latest book was about 13 years in the making, so it's possible Nissley is editing, and editing, and editing some more.  At least I hope so, as I have a soft spot for historical fiction.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Love 3

riské

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were silk and growlers. 

I didn't get silk, but for some unknown reason I got growlers. Which is weird, because in my area growlers are related to beer (again, a reference I don't quite get since I'm not a beer drinker)

7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Who was the contestant in the last few weeks who said she was inspired to do something related to art (you can tell I always give my undivided attention to the interviews) when she saw Botticelli's "Primavera" in class?  I wonder if she saw the painting by David.  Perhaps it's best that she just drew her life's work from some maidens and their friends in a clearing instead.

One can like both the light and dark sides. I do - but I admit I'm drawn more to the darker paintings (in both topic and execution).

42 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Same for me (serials cataloger here!), although I don't think I ever learned Jefferson's cataloging system.  It's been years since I've done anything with Dewey Decimal.  I work in a university library, so we use Library of Congress Classification (which was invented in the 1870s for the specific purpose of replacing Jefferson's system, so it must have been pretty bad).

I knew Charlotte Corday, but I always want to add an extra "R" and call her "Cordray."  That's what I did this time as well, and so I would have gotten it wrong.

I remember the Opera Costumes category from when it was on originally.  As a theater person, I loved seeing all those costumes.

I can't say I ever learned it. But I loved my Dewey Cataloging class. I had a group of friends who would challenge each other to catalog books on, let's say risque , topics. LOL. If I'd ever gotten a library job, I would have happily been a cataloger. It was mentally stimulating. Recently I volunteered at our local library as a cataloger and was sorely disappointed. All we did was take the cataloging from the Library Congress data banks (don't remember the name). It was boring, not at all challenging.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The contestants do seem to leave many of these travel categories for last.  I wonder whether they have reason to believe those will not likely be skipped?  It seems to me that the expense associated with producing those categories would be difficult to justify if they were not must-use.  If I were the producers, I would find 20 seconds elsewhere to finish them if needed, and perhaps that is conveyed or suggested.

While I'm sure they'd be disappointed if such a category didn't get finished in the game, they most likely would at least eventually use the clues in another game, since the potpourri (or hodgepodge, or a few other names they have for it) categories are made up of leftover clues.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

for some unknown reason I got growlers. Which is weird, because in my area growlers are related to beer (again, a reference I don't quite get since I'm not a beer drinker)

I didn't get growler, but the word makes me think of beer as well (which I also don't drink). You made me curious; wikipedia says, "The term likely dates from the late 19th century when fresh beer was carried from the local pub to one's home by means of a small galvanized pail. It is claimed the sound that the carbon dioxide made when it escaped from the lid as the beer sloshed around sounded like a growl."

• Useful 2
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

If you go back some pages, you will see my post naming her and being not impressed by her being overwhelmed by Primavera. But obviously it worked for her. Not for me. I fancied (and still fancy) Caravaggio. He is a dark painter who might appeal to you, @Clanstarling. I was thrilled to see some of his work IRL at the Art Museum of Chicago. Slides in art history class or pictures in a book/online do not do his work justice. They are truly overwhelming and masterful. But if someone wants to send me to the Uffizi Gallery, I'll do a comparison.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If you go back some pages, you will see my post naming her and being not impressed by her being overwhelmed by Primavera. But obviously it worked for her. Not for me. I fancied (and still fancy) Caravaggio. He is a dark painter who might appeal to you, @Clanstarling. I was thrilled to see some of his work IRL at the Art Museum of Chicago. Slides in art history class or pictures in a book/online do not do his work justice. They are truly overwhelming and masterful. But if someone wants to send me to the Uffizi Gallery, I'll do a comparison.

Oh yes, Caravaggio does indeed appeal to me. I haven't seen any of his work in person, but I certainly liked him. The one I know the best is Judith Beheading Holofernes (seems there's a theme in what I like...lol)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1

In addition to growlers, there are now "crowlers," 32oz cans that can be filled and sealed on demand.  I understand they have been around for five years and are less of a pain than glass growlers, although they would seem to cause more waste.  I like to drink beer, generally speaking, but I'm no zealot.  Those who are insist that there is very different taste in can v glass, draft v pre-packaged, etc.  I'm sure they are correct, but as with film v digital projection in a movie theatre, the difference is largely lost on me.

58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If someone wants to send me to the Uffizi Gallery, I'll do a comparison.

I'll chip in $5 if you promise to take videos and send them in for use as categories.  Along somewhat similar lines, I very much like Artemisia Gentileschi, who got a NewsHour feature recently.

• Love 1

I actually said "No, Alex, that FJ was so incredibly easy that I'm half afraid it was some of trick, because it couldn't really be that easy", but I guess if you're completely ignorant of Greek mythology, it was hard.  I will confess to having a particularly fondness for Hades, thanks to the very hot actor who played him on Xena, Warrior Princess, but still, something really, really deep named after the brother of Poseidon - I mean, one of them could've at least guessed Zeus.  Which would have been wrong, but not so stupidly wrong.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

In addition to growlers, there are now "crowlers," 32oz cans that can be filled and sealed on demand.  I understand they have been around for five years and are less of a pain than glass growlers, although they would seem to cause more waste.

That explains the sign at a local liquor store.  They've become very popular at craft breweries during the pandemic because they can be done by carry-out.

6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Along somewhat similar lines, I very much like Artemisia Gentileschi, who got a NewsHour feature recently.

I prefer her version of Judith and Holofernes - her Judith seems to be really making an effort whereas Caravaggio's is being far too delicate.  It's funny, but I really like Caravaggio's religious paintings (despite being next best thing to an atheist) and don't care for his mythological ones.

I love the Uffizi - all those Botticellis.  Botticelli is why I knew Savonarola; his later works were heavily influenced by him, unfortunately.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

That $400 wager seemed especially dull after the "Daily Quadruple" yesterday, didn't it?  A bit of an odd board in general from my perspective.  A description of a figure in African-American history who had been involved with the Nation of Islam and died by violence.  I think for most that would have been plenty even without the photo!  That clue seemed wildly overvalued at $2000.

2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I guess if you're completely ignorant of Greek mythology, it was hard.

Guilty!  I had no good guess, although I didn't try hard.  I've rarely been so bored as when I was assigned to read Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" in school and I never got back into it, although I'd like for several reasons to try again.  I felt the same way about epic poetry.  Many other elements of Ancient Greek culture are very interesting to me but something about those tales never resonated.

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

[Crowlers have] become very popular at craft breweries during the pandemic because they can be done by carry-out.

Exactly.  I understand that glass has been a longtime standard at many craft breweries, so the cans are still new and not accepted by everyone.  But many parks, beaches, etc do not allow glass, so that has also been part of the pitch.  One outfit here suggests you take their now-canned beer on hikes for while you savor the view at the top.  That's fine, but how am I going to get down?

• LOL 1

I remember this game.  I remember the woman who was champ.  I did not remember FJ.  I'm sure I didn't get it the first time, and I didn't get it this time, either.  I focused on the deep-sea part instead of the mythology part (again), and I still don't remember ever having learned about a zone named for Hades. The best I could get was the Midnight Zone, which is not deep enough.

But I did get saddle shoes, medicine man, Lido, and The Planets, so I have that going for me. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Guilty!  I had no good guess, although I didn't try hard.  I've rarely been so bored as when I was assigned to read Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" in school and I never got back into it, although I'd like for several reasons to try again.  I felt the same way about epic poetry.  Many other elements of Ancient Greek culture are very interesting to me but something about those tales never resonated.

I got interested in Greek mythology when I was a kid and there was a cartoon about Hercules on tv (not the Disney movie).  It probably made a difference that my reading about it was self-directed, rather than forced on me by school.  Some of those myths really were not age appropriate, but I probably found them more fascinating as a result.  I don't remember reading Edith Hamilton's book, but we did do Greek mythology in 7th grade Social Studies.  We all had to pick a god or goddess and do a presentation.  I chose Artemis, although if I were doing it now, it would be Persephone, of course.  We all got dressed up in togas made out of bed sheets; one of my class mates learned that one should never pin their toga to a tube top - I laughed at the time because she was my worst enemy and a terrible bully, but now I'm appalled by our behavior.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2020 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Oooops, missed FJ again tonight!  Oh well.  I blame the ads for next week's Jeopardy that my station has started running.  They seem to think we need reminding that next week's shows are Alex's last ones.  😞

Every spare advertising moment on ABC in So. Fla. has been devoted to plugging Celebrity Wheel of Fortune (which I suspect will suck). Not a word about next week being Alex Trbek's last. Par for the course in Florida.

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

But....Poseidon only has 2 brothers so shouldn’t that have been easy?? 

Only if you knew he had any brothers at all. It was news to me.

I did get saddle shoes (I named a dog that once, his sister was Penny Loafer), medicine man and The Planets, the last one thanks to a discussion here plus the show has used it before.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I still don't remember ever having learned about a zone named for Hades

I googled it, and it is the Hadal zone or the Hadopelagic zone.  So the answer of Pelagus wasn't completely out of left field.  Pelagus is from the ancient Greek word for sea.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Only if you knew he had any brothers at all. It was news to me.

Hades and Poseidon are the older brothers of Zeus.  I guess Greek mythology is less common knowledge than I thought.  Once again I fell into the trap of thinking that if I know it, it must be really common.  I apologize if I offended anyone.

• Love 3

Greek mythology is one of those topics that is difficult, if not impossible, to reason through if you don't know it/aren't familiar with it.

The extent of my mythology knowledge is what I have managed to retain from watching Jeopardy - unfortunately, this particular fact was not retained from the first showing of this episode!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I did get saddle shoes (I named a dog that once, his sister was Penny Loafer), medicine man and The Planets, the last one thanks to a discussion here plus the show has used it before.

I got the Planets because I have a CD of music that's supposed to help you sleep which was a free gift when I bought my bed (long enough ago that I am probably overdue for a new mattress...) and it includes two of the Planets (Venus and Neptune).

• Useful 1

I thought she might've gotten The Planets from Mercury, but obviously not.  A lot of people would recognize Mars, Bringer of War, if they heard it, since it's been used in a lot of movies and commercials, but they might not know the name of it.

• Love 1

Once again for FJ I knew who they wanted but couldn't come up with the name.  All I could think of was the River Styx.

I don't think "saddle shoes" is alliterative.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Me too. I found them dull - though it is likely due more to the writing than the stories.

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Hades and Poseidon are the older brothers of Zeus.  I guess Greek mythology is less common knowledge than I thought.  Once again I fell into the trap of thinking that if I know it, it must be really common.  I apologize if I offended anyone.

As with anything, it's in the "easy if you know it" category. I've had plenty of moments when I didn't understand how contestants didn't know something I thought was common knowledge. And joined in here with the same puzzlement as others. 

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

Greek mythology is one of those topics that is difficult, if not impossible, to reason through if you don't know it/aren't familiar with it.

The extent of my mythology knowledge is what I have managed to retain from watching Jeopardy - unfortunately, this particular fact was not retained from the first showing of this episode!

What I know about Greek Mythology is mostly gleaned from Disney movies (not a reliable source), and some of my college education. It doesn't help that I get the Greek and Roman gods mixed up all the time. My daughter knows the ins and outs of Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Norse mythology. It really clicks with her. But if I ask her about the answer - she'll give me an in depth description, and bring in all related information. So, I don't really ask unless I'm particularly interested. (Norse Mythology I learned mostly from the Australian show "The Almighty Johnsons" which is fun - so I retain more. LOL.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Once again for FJ I knew who they wanted but couldn't come up with the name.  All I could think of was the River Styx.

I don't think "saddle shoes" is alliterative.

That gave me pause, but I looked it up, and you are right:

Alliteration is derived from Latin’s “Latira”. It means “letters of alphabet”. It is a stylistic device in which a number of words, having the same first consonant sound, occur close together in a series.

Consider the following examples:
But a better butter makes a batter better.
A big bully beats a baby boy.

Both sentences are alliterative because the same first letter of words (B) occurs close together and produces alliteration in the sentence. An important point to remember here is that alliteration does not depend on letters but on sounds. So the phrase not knotty is alliterative, but cigarette chase is not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah that bugged me too. I knew the answer was saddle shoes, but also knew that's not alliterative. Do you spose the contestants were stumped because they were trying to come up with another name for those that actually is alliterative?

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah that bugged me too. I knew the answer was saddle shoes, but also knew that's not alliterative. Do you spose the contestants were stumped because they were trying to come up with another name for those that actually is alliterative?

Finally, a benefit for never remembering the category. I had no problem answering and never gave the category a thought.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got interested in Greek mythology when I was a kid and there was a cartoon about Hercules on tv (not the Disney movie). 

That's the one where Icarus is Hercules' best friend and calls his father "Dadelus", right? I think I watched that one. That, and Gargoyles.

I did somehow come up with Hades but it wasn’t because I actually knew the answer. It was pretty much a guess in that the only Greek god I can think of who has “a domain” is Hades ruling the Underworld and the Underworld is really deep, so... But I had zero clue they were brothers or even that Poseidon has any brothers! 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

But I had zero clue they were brothers or even that Poseidon has any brothers! 

From Wikipedia:  Cronus mated with his older sister Rhea and together they became the parents of the first generation of Olympians: the six siblings Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Hestia, Demeter, and Hera.

Of course, Zeus eventually mated with Hera and Hades with Demeter's daughter Persephone. 

• Useful 1

I just imagine a bunch of parents a bill-zillion years ago sitting around in their huts telling their kids bed-time stories about how the earth and sky were created so the kids would go to sleep and leave them alone. And those stories were handed down for a bill-zillions years and eventually became Jeopardy clues, category Mythology. It's kinda like Pecos Bill, along with Shake and Widow-Maker, created the Lone Star, and how Paul Bunyan created Puget Sound, the Grand Canyon, and the Black Hills. We call those tall tales now, but in a bill-trillion years, Bill and Paul will be studied in universities with degrees awarded. And a category on Future Jeopardy!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Even though Edith Hamilton’s Mythology was required reading in the 8th grade I guess I didn’t retain much of it. No FJ for me tonight. I was deep in the Mariana Trench. I did get a few TSs including saddle shoes, medicine man, 42nd St (how I came out with that, I have no idea, but I blurted it out in time so it counts), Lido, Murano and The Planets. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Even though Edith Hamilton’s Mythology was required reading in the 8th grade I guess I didn’t retain much of it. No FJ for me tonight. I was deep in the Mariana Trench.

Heh. Exactly the same for me. I do remember making a plaster of Paris statuette of Athena, sprayed with gold paint, but that's all I remember. My excuse is that it was 6th grade. 😉
I was trying to turn "Mariana" into a Greek God-sounding name and wasn't having any success, and no wonder. From wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench#Etymology

Etymology

The Mariana Trench is named after the nearby Mariana Islands, which are named Las Marianas in honour of Spanish Queen Mariana of Austria, widow of Philip IV of Spain. The islands are part of the island arc that is formed on an over-riding plate, called the Mariana Plate (also named for the islands), on the western side of the trench.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Greek myths were among the very things I ever read, kept reading through college, and took a lot of art history and classics classes as an undergrad. When I finally started traveling again, Greece had to be the first place I went. So Hades, no problem.

However, I sometimes feel that the J! writers have read entirely different myths than the ones I did. There was one about Pandora a while ago that I had never come across.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 10:36 AM, Clanstarling said:

Norse Mythology I learned mostly from the Australian show "The Almighty Johnsons" which is fun - so I retain more. LOL.

New Zealand, not Australia, but still, fun does help.

I showed my best friend the FJ in question.  Despite being somewhat familiar with Greek mythology (and very familiar with my obsession with the actor who played Hades), she didn't get it either.  Oops.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 1:49 PM, illdoc said:

From Wikipedia:  Cronus mated with his older sister Rhea and together they became the parents of the first generation of Olympians: the six siblings Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Hestia, Demeter, and Hera.

Of course, Zeus eventually mated with Hera and Hades with Demeter's daughter Persephone. 

And Persephone was Zeus' daughter as well, and yet, in some myths, he slept with her in disguise so . . . Greek mythology is all kinds of disturbing.  I've said that a family tree of the Greek gods would be a circle.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 6:32 PM, ABay said:

However, I sometimes feel that the J! writers have read entirely different myths than the ones I did. There was one about Pandora a while ago that I had never come across.

I keep coming across new things all the time.  I had no idea there was one involving Aphrodite and Persephone fighting over Adonis until it came up as a question on Masterminds.  I've been updating my Greek mythology reading a lot lately.

Edited by proserpina65

I meant to write a brief post the other day, because the contestant (Matt) was from Canada and I wanted him to win (he didn't). The reason I liked him wasn't just because he was Cdn; rather, it was his sense of humour that I loved, specifically during his interview segment:

Matt: "And we do a lot of sort of '70s soft rock humor mixed with Ottawa Senators hockey, and it has limited appeal." LOL

I've been seeking laughs (thanks, Saber for the jokes in the other thread) because I'm truly sad today, thinking this week's shows will be Alex's last.

• Love 2

Re: Greek Mythology. All I learned about that was through a sort of obscure John Denver song called "Spirit". ..and speaking of JD, I am just so glad SOMEONE got the Poet question on today's Jeopardy. I would have been sad if no one did.

• Love 1

Does anyone know if Brayden has a hearing issue? Especially with his left ear.

I keep wondering, when I see him twisting his head and leaning with his right ear during DD's - it's as if he wants to concentrate his hearing using his right ear only. He also squints a bit as he does it.

(I know. I'm curious about the strangest things.)

I'm glad Brayden will make it to the tournament of champions. He was lucky tonight in that his closest competition - David? - might have won if he'd not goofed in that last DD he found. Even I knew the answer! I think he did too... he simply forgot the category.

p.s. to be forwarded to heaven: Alex, your opening remarks got me right in the feels.

• Love 12

I got the fictional character who was a detective, despite not recognizing the character's name and having no clue what book or author it comes from. Total guess.

2 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Does anyone know if Brayden has a hearing issue? Especially with his left ear.

I don't know, but I googled him and found an article that says "He beat out his high school Latin teacher to land his spot" on Jeopardy. 😄 

Making farro to go with the chicken I made last night and, not wanting to miss anything, I wasn't paying attention and let it boil too long so then there wasn't enough water left for the simmering portion of the instructions but I didn't realize that and did you know that burned farro smells vaguely like burned popcorn? And now I am making rice.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

I'm truly sad today, thinking this week's shows will be Alex's last.

ABC National News tonight did a clip about today's show and the speech Alex gave. I had already seen the program (it's on here at 4:30) but that news clip choked me up a little. So I'm right there with you @Bliss.

• Love 6

I said Gulliver, but I knew it was wrong.

the only 2 ts I got were Charlie Chaplin and anthropology.

I got the entire partial category of how do you right.

I think in a category of 3 named people, it should be unacceptable to only give one, or even 2 names.

• Love 3

Teal should have bet zero!  Not that it mattered in the end, but she *could* have won with $5000 -- she had no chance of winning by betting it all.  

It took me a few seconds to figure out they did not want the title character for FJ, but I couldn't come up with the right character.  

And I only got two that the players didn't get -- Yosemite and Anthropology.  Overall, though, a good game.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got the fictional character who was a detective, despite not recognizing the character's name and having no clue what book or author it comes from. Total guess.

Kinsey Milhone, private detective, in the Alphabet novels/mystery thrillers by Sue Grafton. She died before her last one was done; it would have been “Z is for Zero.” I have a coffee mug with “The Alphabet Ends With Y.” I was a big fan of that series.

I guessed Gulliver for FJ. I didn’t understand the clue, but wouldn’t have gotten it anyway.  

• Love 13