Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had the same answer as the first guy.

It would be OK with me if for this first week Ken told a story about Alex at the beginning of the game.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 6

I blew some pretty easy questions/clues in the show, but I got FJ, although I would have misspelled it.  I pre-called "cud" in the 3-letter word category, but blew that, too. I'm still surprisingly impressed by KJ. He even said, "En Francais" tonight!  I'm waiting for "genre" to make any judgements.  Hahahaha

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I'm with that one contestant.  I said that Russian dog who went to space.

only ts I got was barnstorming.

I got the entire categories of history, b wear and cities right which makes it sound like I had a good night but for whatever reason I sucked big time in Double Jeopardy.

1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I pre-called "cud" in the 3-letter word category, but blew that, too.

I only got one right in that  category which seems super embarrassing.  LOL.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight. I laughed at middle guy’s answer. 
I like the new champ and her gutsy DD wager.

The middle guy's answer made me laugh, too. FJ wasn't an instaget for me. I said "Laka" after a while. The person next to me said, "No that was the guy from Taxi!". Think they would have given me "Laka"? Different pronunciation, I guess, Maybe.

• Love 2

Instead of "Be more specific," Ken said "More specifically...?" on the Versace clue. I'm not sure if he consciously made the decision to use a different phrase but I appreciated it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I like Lucy and hope she sticks around.

The crawl TS surprised me a bit, and United Farm Workers both surprised and saddened me.

I was embarrassingly bad in the History category, but I knew everything else in the first round other than the Lana Del Rey song.  In FJ, I missed several clowns and children's books, but otherwise did well.  For FJ, I initially only got as far as "Not Latka, but something like that" and then it came to me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I echo the general consensus that Ken is doing just fine.  It was a fun game too.  I got lucky with an educated guess in FJ.  Poor Laika!

Any mention of Lon Chaney is great, although it was too bad nobody got his name from the clue.  His makeup skills were really something else.  I think he made about 150 films, about 100 of which are lost today.  I would be awfully busy if I had a time machine, but I'd make time to stop by the MGM vault in 1965, when the last known copies of many Chaney and other movies burned.  There was tittle-tattle a few years ago that a full print of "London After Midnight," one of his most missed lost films, had been discovered in Spain after a sojourn in Cuba. Stranger things have happened, but that would have been a dream come true.  It eventually came out that someone found a few frames of it, which may have been cut out of a trailer by censors in the Canary Islands or something like that, and then rumors ran wild.  Ugh!  "Laugh, Clown, Laugh," mentioned in the clue, does mostly survive.  The title tune became a big hit at the same time.

As an aside, does anyone watch via local station livestream from CBS All Access?  I have become able to do that this week, but it stinks.  I lose category-sized chunks of game because my internet connection gets tired, and of course there's no "go back thirty seconds" or whatever, as on a few other things I livestream.  I just have to refresh and I've missed what I've missed.  I realize that my lousy service isn't their problem, but I don't have such bad problems on other platforms.  Just put it on Hulu or somewhere like everything else.  And get off my lawn!  But really, if I'll pay $6/mo to have an hour a week of Star Trek, I'm sure I'd pay $12/mo or even $18/mo for five episodes a week of Jeopardy.  "Sony Game Shows Package," anyone?  I'll even scowl at Wheel of Fortune to get more for my buck.  Anyway, now I think I'll go have a beer and reflect on when it wasn't so easy to get so much on demand with no effort.

Edited by 853fisher
poor laika
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Trey said:

I did not get FJ.  When I heard the answer it was beyond a head smack - I had to go bang my head against a wall for my stupidity.  I loved Elvis movies in my younger years and would go to see every one as soon as it came to our small town movie theatre. I know little Spanish but should have known "long live" is viva.

I did get some ts's and did okay through the rest of the game but missing FJ really brought me down.

Why the negativity? 

1 hour ago, Mario500 said:

Why the negativity? 

Because 1960s songs is one of my wheelhouses (area of knowledge) and I was a huge Elvis fan back in the 60s so I should have guessed the answer but didn't; so it made me feel bad.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Trey said:

Because 1960s songs is one of my wheelhouses (area of knowledge) and I was a huge Elvis fan back in the 60s so I should have guessed the answer but didn't; so it made me feel bad.

No being is perfect (not even the most knowledgeable of humans and other creatures). 

• Love 2

I would like to see Austin Rogers (the NYC bartender) try to guest host! I really don't think Buzzy would make the cut for me, although he actually does look like a game show MC. Austin is VERY smart and as a bartender....knows how to shoot the **** with anyone! Any thoughts? I know people didn't always like him but he made watching interesting for me anyway! Also what about James???

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

I would like to see Austin Rogers (the NYC bartender) try to guest host! I really don't think Buzzy would make the cut for me, although he actually does look like a game show MC. Austin is VERY smart and as a bartender....knows how to shoot the **** with anyone! Any thoughts? I know people didn't always like him but he made watching interesting for me anyway! Also what about James???

I wouldn't mind that at all. I didn't like him at first but he grew on me pretty quickly.

Like others here, Lassie was my FJ pre-guess. I could see a photo of that space dog in my head, but would have never come up with the name if I'd had a week of think music. 

Really liking Ken so far. He obviously has a lot of affection for Alex and is striking a nice balance between being respectful of his legacy and being his own host. I too picked up on "More specifically..." and thought it was a nice touch. 

• Love 3

The name Laika is presumably transliterated from Russian, so there may be more than one acceptable way to spell it in English.  Any Russian scholars here?  For FJ purposes, the rule is to spell it in a way that it would be pronounced the same, right?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Mine too, but ultimately I worked it out with Spanish. I miss so many things I know, I just say "oh man!" In different, more vulgar words and accept that somedays my brain is in gear, and other days it's a cog off.  

10 hours ago, kav said:

My final Jepardy pre questions answers were Koko, Ivan, and the 2 monkeys that went into space.

I precalled Koko and Checkers,  and a litany of TV animals. But when I realized what it was, the best I could come up with was "ika" and thought it might start with an S. 

• Love 1

My only pre-call for FJ was Elsa the lioness but my answer was the same as the middle contestant's answer - I liked Ken's humourous response to it.

Otherwise, it was an enjoyable game.

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 5:36 AM, shapeshifter said:

Seems like we all agree that Ken Jennings (I can’t not say both his first and last name) exceeded our expectations. I agree that he was “channeling” Alex, and I think it worked because he came by it naturally, having done over 70 episodes with Alex himself. Kudos to whoever decided to have KJ be first to………you know. 

Sorry, but no.  Ken was okay but not great, and he was trying way too hard.  He wasn't terrible, but he's not really a good choice for permanent replacement.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was yelling "crawl" at them in the first round. Then I fell asleep.

I was yelling "Australian crawl".

11 hours ago, kav said:

My final Jepardy pre questions answers were Koko, Ivan, and the 2 monkeys that went into space.

I thought of Koko, too, right after Lassie.

The "long live" part gave me Viva Las Vegas.  Didn't know that Las Vegas is Spanish for the meadows, but I do now.

4 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

Oh dear god, that would be the end of Jeopardy for me!  Of all the contestants who've annoyed me over the years, Austin is the worst.  I could maybe stand James, at least for awhile, but I think Brad would be a natural at hosting.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh dear god, that would be the end of Jeopardy for me!  Of all the contestants who've annoyed me over the years, Austin is the worst.  I could maybe stand James, at least for awhile, but I think Brad would be a natural at hosting.

I wouldn't want him permanently; I think a week of him could be fun. I do agree Brad has the most "game show" personality of the well-known former contestants.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wouldn't want him permanently; I think a week of him could be fun. I do agree Brad has the most "game show" personality of the well-known former contestants.

Austin sitting in the audience that one time was almost more of him than I could take.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

I don't have a gun, and I don't want a gun anywhere near me, which is good, because I might shoot my television if either of those scenarios came to be.

• LOL 3

I heard about the Packers QB Rodgers today while husband was watching his morning sports show! I recall him playing and he was good! I thought they said he was hosting ONE GAME? It sure sounds like they are hosting a week when you read this here. Katie Couric was funny on her cooking show segments filmed from her home a few months ago during one of the cooking channels. I think she will be good as well.

I didn't know who Aaron Rogers was but he's a football player? I assume he's  a better speaker then the average one. Seriously, have they seen an interview with the average NFL player?

Mayim Bialik is interesting, I never would have thought of her. She obviously very intelligent and is funny too. So I'm looking forward to seeing what she does.

• Love 2

Maybe they are letting us get used to not having Alex by giving us some random, and possibly fun? people to ease us into a new host or they want us to be so tired of some of these people that when they make the final choice we won't complain. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, blueray said:

I didn't know who Aaron Rogers was but he's a football player? I assume he's  a better speaker then the average one. Seriously, have they seen an interview with the average NFL player?

He's been on the show; he was in the celebrity tournament five years ago and won his game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Maybe they are letting us get used to not having Alex by giving us some random, and possibly fun? people to ease us into a new host or they want us to be so tired of some of these people that when they make the final choice we won't complain. 

I suspect they also want to have the new permanent host start fresh with the new season. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blueray said:

My reaction to the dog question (the final jeopardy) was:

um... Balto? Then after a minute (before the time ran out), I remembered he was from Alaska. So yep Russian dog lol. 

Maybe not a Russian dog, but he can see Russia from his house!

I pre-called Mr. Ed, then Francis the Talking Mule for FJ last night, but when the clue was revealed, I immediately knew Laika.  I did have to think a second how to spell it, though.  I also loved middle guy's answer.

I only got two TS, though -- crawl and Lon Chaney Sr.

Big no from me on either Austin or James hosting.  I could probably stand Buzzy.  Mayim Bialik will be interesting.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I found myself kinda rooting against Cameron and his highly distracting eyeglasses. (But I laughed at his horse hooves.)

"Ice cream brought us together." "That's very sweet." (Not sure that one was on purpose.)

"Sixth sense of humor," said fast, sounds like "Sick sense of humor."

I was kinda hoping FJ would have been somewhere in Canada in honor of Alex. (I did not get it, anyway.)

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

"Sixth sense of humor," said fast, sounds like "Sick sense of humor."

Due to ABC News coverage, I missed today's J!. However, while I don't know the context of the above, I will say I have heard the phrase "Sick sense of humor" and have never heard "Sixth sense of humor". So....maybe you heard it wrong?

10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Due to ABC News coverage, I missed today's J!. However, while I don't know the context of the above, I will say I have heard the phrase "Sick sense of humor" and have never heard "Sixth sense of humor". So....maybe you heard it wrong?

It was a Before and After category - it was  "Sixth Sense / Sense of Humor"

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wouldn't mind that at all. I didn't like him at first but he grew on me pretty quickly.

Austin is just too distracting.  He's too much personality and "look at me" for a Jeopardy! host, since the game should be the focus, not the host.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
11 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Austin is just too distracting.  He's too much personality and "look at me" for a Jeopardy! host, since the game should be the focus, not the host.

Fair enough.

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I pre-called progress and Congress (old joke). Just hope it doesn’t invoke the jeopardy curse!

lol, me too. 😛 

• Love 2