Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I know Langston Hughes, but I don't know that I'd ever seen a photo of him, so I didn't recognize him in that clue. And I drew a blank on Harriet Tubman - for the life of me, I thought it was a man in that picture, so I never considered her...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

"Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In" were recorded as a medley by The Fifth Dimension, and count as a single song for chart purposes.

The other song that charted was Oliver's recording of "Good Morning Starshine."  Sing it with me:  "Glibby gloop gloopy, nibby nobby noopy, la la la, lo lo..."

Yep, we sang that one. I think our nonsense sounds were a little different, but I don't remember enough to replicate them.

18 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I know Langston Hughes, but I don't know that I'd ever seen a photo of him, so I didn't recognize him in that clue. And I drew a blank on Harriet Tubman - for the life of me, I thought it was a man in that picture, so I never considered her...

The picture was of no help to me - I hadn't seen a picture of him as I recall. But I did manage to get the answer. It took me awhile to get Harriet, that was a very bad picture of her - it seemed fuzzy, and the colorization of it didn't help matters.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

Nice to see a battle for Northern California last night.  My wife and I both ironically have family and parents buried in Colma, and yes it really is the city of the dead.  And car dealerships.  And strip malls.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

For a second when they showed the Harriet Tubman one I thought it was Samuel L Jackson wearing his trademark backwards Kangol hat! 😆 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

And I drew a blank on Harriet Tubman - for the life of me, I thought it was a man in that picture, so I never considered her...

I thought it was a man too - otherwise I might have got it.

Another not-great game for me although the contestants did well. However FJ was an instaget for me so I am pleased about that.

And now I have to go listen to some Three Dog Night songs.

• Love 5

My apologies.  I also can't find anything about a special tonight either. I guess I heard about the tribute at the end and got confused thinking that the tribute was going to air after the episode.  There was an article talking about ABC and the tribute and since my local station that airs Jeopardy! is CBS I assumed there was going to be more.  It made sense to me since ABC aired the Greatest of All Time tournament.

• Love 2

Looking at Yoshi, she had that album back in the day.  

Count me in with the crowd rooting for a mature person! I had the Hair album too.

Went to a local production recently of Hair (no nudity) and frankly it wasn't all that hot as a play, but so much of the music is still great. 

I am dreading tonight. I fully expect to cry. 

• Love 6

I'm watching the replay of the pre-empted Jeopardy episodes (Tues & Wed) and would you believe it gets pre-empted again!! Press conference interrupts the last ten minutes of the Wed episode. Channel 7 is the only station in Chicago carrying the presser. Sigh!  At least it's now and not an hour from now (potentially pre-empting the final episode).

Tonight is going to be rough. I was born in 1985 so Alex  + JEOPARDY! has been going on my entire life. I've grown up with him giving thousands of clues with that comforting blue background and all the lovely beeps and boops with intelligence, humor, a bit of snark, and scores of amazing players - and one hapless Boston know-it-all mailman to boot!!!

Alex, we love you, we miss you.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

*sob*.  I was fine until the end.

SPOILER don’t look below if you don’t want to know. I’m on my phone and don’t know how to white it out.

I chocked up and cried when Alex said “We’ll see you next week” and then that final photo really did me in.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I'm watching the replay of the pre-empted Jeopardy episodes (Tues & Wed) and would you believe it gets pre-empted again!! Press conference interrupts the last ten minutes of the Wed episode. Channel 7 is the only station in Chicago carrying the presser. Sigh!  At least it's now and not an hour from now (potentially pre-empting the final episode).

@illdoc, if you're here, they just said here in Chicagoland that they are re-re-airing it in 10 minutes!

• Love 1

Oh, that ending tribute did me in.  Lovely Alex...he started on Jeopardy when I was a 25-year-old SAHM of a 6-year-old living in Michigan.  Now I’m 61, my youngest grandchild is almost 16, and everything has changed.  When he said, “We’ll see you next week”, I cried.

• Love 4

I'm crying. I'll admit it.

I got the ts of McKinley and glider.

I got the entire categories of Christmas movies and artists right.  I did not have a clue for FJ. I said equivalence.

• Love 4

I was fine up until he said "See you next week!"  And then the montage.  Oh, the montage.  It killed me.  

I did get FJ, although I had to think for a second, and almost said "isomer".  Switched to isotope at the last second.

I also got Come Together, prestidigitation, sporting group, and Weimaraner, which may or may not have been a TS, since time ran out.

Watching from here on out is going to be rough.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

*sob*.  I was fine until the end.

Well, that's better than me. I started crying with "This is Jeopardy!".

How could he say see you next week??? He knew it was his last episode.

I was sad Yoshie lost. I liked her and wanted her to continue her streak for Alex's last game.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Missed that!

Pre-empted tues and wed, I’m so mad.  Where can I see this week’s episodes?

TitanTV.com isn't showing another 3:07am CST airing of Jeopardy until next Tuesday, but maybe you can record at that time anyway?
Or set an alarm?

45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The only words I have are: "Where's the Kleenex?"

Right here. 😭

I did well with most of those categories; I'm sure a lot of us knew all of the 60s tunes. 
Anyone else burst out singing "The lion sleeps tonight" before they gave the answer question?

Oh, Alex. Mom would have cried for days. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Well, that's better than me. I started crying with "This is Jeopardy!".

How could he say see you next week??? He knew it was his last episode.

I was sad Yoshie lost. I liked her and wanted her to continue her streak for Alex's last game.

Mike Richards, the executive producer, said nobody knew it was his last show.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Mike Richards, the executive producer, said nobody knew it was his last show.

More on this:

The final Jeopardy! episode hosted by Alex Trebek, which airs Friday, will be remarkably unremarkable, with no farewell by the veteran host or any kind of personal message to viewers in his opening statement.

That is because “Alex didn’t think that was going to be his last episode,” Jeopardy executive producer Mike Richards told Deadline about the show, filmed some 10 days before Trebek died November 8 after a battle with pancreatic cancer. “He was planning on hosting the show the next week, that was his focus. And then when he wasn’t feeling well, he told me, ‘I am not going to be able to come this coming Monday-Tuesday but let’s look at the following Monday and Tuesday’; those were the days we shot. That was as late as Thursday of the week he passed away. He passed away Sunday morning.”

https://deadline.com/2021/01/alex-trebek-final-episode-jeopardy-executive-producer-interview-1234666027/

• Love 2

I almost made it through without crying, because I wanted to see clearly rather than through tears, but the end of the montage, with Alex getting older and older as he said "So long" and then that triumphant fist bump as he walked off the stage - that was it.

I was enjoying Yoshie, so am bummed she lost; I wish she'd bet more on that crossword clues DD and FJ.

I missed several in the first round, including guessing Google goggles instead of glass, and I don't think I ran a single category in DJ.  I rebounded for FJ after some thought, but this was not my game.  Oh, well; it was about Alex anyway, and I'm so glad he walked out of that studio thinking he'd be back.

• Love 12

I am so grateful for everything Alex gave all of us.  I have never known television without him and still find it hard to imagine.  How fortunate we were to have had him for so long.  May we continue to savor the fruits of Alex's work to give a platform not only to knowledge but perhaps most importantly to learning for many years to come.  He will never be forgotten.

I thought to ask my mother, who watched J! with me many nights while waiting for my father to come home, how she started watching.  I learned for the first time that she and my grandmother watched NBC's "Jeopardy!" with Art Fleming for years.  Let the circle be unbroken.

The fondest tribute I can think to give Alex will be to return here with you all on Monday to see that the show will go on.  Goodnight, friends.

• Love 13

I would have been crying watching Alex's final episode under regular circumstances. The events of this week just made it worse. When Alex's first episode aired on September 10, 1984, I had just started kindergarten, had welcomed a new baby brother and would turn 5 later in the month. From that day on, he was always there as an oasis of calm, comfort and consistency. We've known he was gone since November, but now that the last of his episodes have aired there really is finality to it - and in the worst possible week. I think that's why all of America cried a little longer and harder tonight.

Thank you, Alex. So long. 🙏💔😢

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, DonnaMae said:

Wow, that was a sad last episode, especially the montage with all the photos through the years.  Does anyone know who was singing?  How did he hide the pain?  What a remarkable man.

Here's the montage:

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

That was Hugh Jackman singing “Once Before I Go” from the musical “The Boy From Oz.”

Thank you.  That song was perfect for the montage and so well sung.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, LouiseIndy said:

My Lit professor used to always pronounce it "Don Jew-an."  

My dad and likely his third grade teacher pronounced Pocohontas Poco-HUN-TUS.   He was quite insistant on this pronunciation.   My dad usually wasn't that guy so I suspect his third grade teacher was the can do no wrong and early crush type of third grade teacher.

1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

Wow, that was a sad last episode, especially the montage with all the photos through the years.  Does anyone know who was singing?  How did he hide the pain?  What a remarkable man.

I got a bit misty... and wiped my eyes... with hands that had just made jalapeno cornbread.   So then it got really, really misty and painful.   Alex was worth it.  He will be missed.

• Love 6

I was sad when the contestant mentioned about having books he'd never get to read and Alex said he's the same way, just days before he passed away. 

I said isomer instead of isotope.  

A touching tribute.  The show won't be the same.  It will go on, but not the same. 

• Love 6
On 1/8/2021 at 8:32 AM, LouiseIndy said:

My Lit professor used to always pronounce it "Don Jew-an."  

Was your professor a fan of “Les Miserables” on Broadway?

I knew I was going to cry, and that knowledge did not stop it from happening.  He looked so good! It’s just still unfathomable to me he is no longer with us.

Regarding the game, if Yoshi bet it all on FJ she would have won, wouldn’t she?  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Regarding the game, if Yoshi bet it all on FJ she would have won, wouldn’t she?  

No. Jim bet to be ahead of her by $1. If she bet it all she’d have, $24,000, Jim won with $24,001.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

His book discusses this. I recommend it. It's like a long conversation with Alex.

• Love 7

The guy in the middle must have been kicking himself, especially after he learned that was Alex's final Jeopardy and he didn't get to compete in the final Final Jeopardy with Alex ever.  Especially considering he was a strong contender to win the whole game, not just someone having a bad night.  Why did he bet it all on the daily double?  I was expecting a $5,000 bet to put him in the lead.  And when he at least put himself back into positive territory with just a few questions to go, why risk a $2,000 question?  Oh well.

• Love 5

This last episode of Alex hosting Jeopardy was hard to watch. I was disappointed that he didn’t end his run with a better game. A nail biter.  One of those where you could hear the excitement in his voice. Even though his voice was getting weaker he still put his everything into each show. I also noticed that the left corner of his mouth was beginning to sag. My heart broke at the end of the show. 
@saber5055 A dog category on his final show. Good for you. I know you got every one of them correct, although I suspect it was bittersweet. 

God Bless you Dear Alex. I thank you for the many years you gave me quality shows. RIP Sir. 

• Love 9