Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Do they film several in one day? That would explain it.

They were filming three one day, two the next for Alex's last shows as host. Still, it takes a lot to hold it together for even one show much less five or six as a player.

I liked Brayden because I gravitate toward people who are different, I appreciate the broken molds. I've never been part of the flock and I like others who also are individuals, not clones.

I am sorry I jinxed him with my posts. I should know better. But I'm looking forward to him doing well in the TOC. (double jinx, darn it)

• Love 6
19 hours ago, 853fisher said:

It was fun to get to use my Tillamook knowledge from all the appetizing commercials they serve me, never mind that I don't often see their product on shelves near me.

If you have a Costco near you, they carry TIllamook cheddar loaves. I used to bring them home every time we visited the PNW and now I can have one any time I want! And the price can't be beat

The LA Times reports that Katie Couric will be one of the interim hosts.  No comment from her or producers on whether she is interested in doing it full time.  I don't know a lot about her because I don't watch network news or talk shows, but from seeing her in clips here and there, she seems like a reasonable choice.  Good luck to her.

I assume they must have taped multiple weeks with Ken or with someone else who has not been announced.  Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't heard a little more about it all.  I suppose the lack of an audience is a factor.  Otherwise, while J! fans are pretty good about spoilers, I'd expect a few general impressions to be rattling around.

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

If you have a Costco near you, they carry TIllamook cheddar loaves. I used to bring them home every time we visited the PNW and now I can have one any time I want! And the price can't be beat

Thanks for this!  Those sound delicious.  I most often see their commercials for ice cream but knew they had other products.  I'm not a Costco member and I don't use Instacart etc, but I have a few friends who shop there often and will pick something up for me from time to time.  If anything's worth calling in favors for, it's cheddar loaves.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The LA Times reports that Katie Couric will be one of the interim hosts.  No comment from her or producers on whether she is interested in doing it full time.  I don't know a lot about her because I don't watch network news or talk shows, but from seeing her in clips here and there, she seems like a reasonable choice.  Good luck to her.

Nope.  She's a miserable excuse for a human being, and I most sincerely hope she doesn't host for more than a week.  A week is too much, IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

So since Jeopardy will almost certainly not air on ABC at 7 tonight, anyone know how to watch it in the NYC area? Sometimes I've seen people say it was broadcast on a different channel at the same time? Now Agent Orange is depriving us of some of our last moments of Alex. 🤬

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

So since Jeopardy will almost certainly not air on ABC at 7 tonight, anyone know how to watch it in the NYC area? Sometimes I've seen people say it was broadcast on a different channel at the same time? Now Agent Orange is depriving us of some of our last moments of Alex. 🤬

We thought that last night's episode (7 PM here) would be pre-empted by a network news Special Report. Thank goodness they did not do that. Tonight? Who knows?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Between the "let me tell you in 4 hours something I could have done in 15 min" talk about the police non-charges yesterday and the "2 hours so far and no end in sight" crybaby protest in DC (encouraged by President Crybaby) today, I wish they would move Alex's last shows to next week!! So far, we have/will have missed 2 of the three shown so far this week here in Chicago. Wah!!!

Yeah, I expect it'll be interrupted for the news - it's been going on for hours, and when and if it is ultimately resolved, it will be many hours from now. It's big news, admittedly.

Between that and a rainy day - which our digital antenna does not like, I'm not counting on Jeopardy tonight, and we're on the west coast.

• Love 2

I suspect Jeopardy! will be pre-empted everywhere, unless they can actually get things under control with the curfew.  Yeah, I know, I'm being a pie-eyed optimist, and it's not likely, but you never know, right?

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

They have a channel called Localish ABC2 over the air on 7.2 and available on various systems that is one option they could potentially shift it over to if the main channel stays with the news.

5 minutes ago, opus said:

They have a channel called Localish ABC2 over the air on 7.2 and available on various systems that is one option they could potentially shift it over to if the main channel stays with the news.

My local station has a similar sister station, where they are currently showing local news that would usually be on the primary channels right now, so maybe we'll get J! there.

• Love 1

I am also assuming that Jeopardy will be preempted today. ( Pacific Time Zone). Maybe local stations will just air the episodes when they resume normal programming.  There are whispers of shutdowns in filming again as LA deals with the latest COVID surge anyhow, so  just air today’s show tomorrow or Friday and continue the sequence.

Edited by 3 is enough
1 hour ago, helpmerhonda said:

In Chicagoland they showed Tuesday's Jeopardy at 3:07 AM Wednesday morning under the title "Daytime Jeopardy." Hopefully they'll do the same for today's episode.

I've got my ol' DVR ready to record again in the wee hours. 
I guess if it does air a 3am-ish Over The Air,  those with Cable will be able to see it "On Demand" or whatever it's called these days.

image.png.e09456c7e6fd4bb94e54574c85297608.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I'm frustrated by today's events in a million ways.  I know these kinds of things don't just turn on a dime, but what a balm it would be if someone at Sony could get together with the relevant rightsholders and arrange to put Alex's last few episodes on YouTube or something, even if only for 24hrs.  I'm sure I saw a headline the other day about J! being one of those things over which we can all come together.  What a wonderful world that would be.

11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Today is the anniversary of my sisters sudden death. 

I'm so sorry to hear that!  Sending warm thoughts to you and your family.  

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I know these kinds of things don't just turn on a dime, but what a balm it would be if someone at Sony could get together with the relevant rightsholders and arrange to put Alex's last few episodes on YouTube or something

I think they will eventually be at least a little more widely available.
——especially since so much of scripted TV is shut down again due to LA Covid.

Edited by shapeshifter

I was a bit distracted while I watched so I can't really say how I did. For FJ I said 1917 but I didn't think it was right because I was pretty sure it was more recent than that (just checked; it came out in April 2019). I know nothing about Wonder Woman except that Jessie Graff (American Ninja Warrior) did stunts for it, so I was never gonna come up with that.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m another person who’s station is showing it at 3:07am and have no way of recording it. This makes it a sad day for many reasons (today is the anniversary of my sisters sudden death mods). 

OMG @Mindthinkr, I am so sorry, I wish I had a magic wand to make today better for you. Sending you many many cyberhugs with all my heart.

I just turned the channel to catch Wheel and there was a commercial for Jeopardy, "Don't miss this week celebrating Alex Trebek's last episodes." Jeopardy was suppose to be on two hours ago, network. And now Wheel is preempted too. So I'm watching the Air Fryer infomercial, there's something comforting about looking at food that I can't eat.

Don't know if today's Jeopardy will be run in the wee hours since I'm not staying up and I have no way to record. Maybe President Eisenhower will post AT's last week.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Our affiliate in Atlanta is running ongoing NBC news. The sister station is showing ongoing local news. NO JEOPARDY!  The ticker at the bottom of the screen is still showing election results. Feh. I guess I'll be up all night again, waiting for them to run J!.

I even saw Wonder Woman and I didn't have any clue.   Aargh.  the only missed q I got was the Atlantic.

I got the entire categories of 19 century America and GQ right.

• Love 2

We got Jeopardy on the usual station at the usual time!  And I very confidently said "Dunkirk" for FJ, even though I saw Wonder Woman.  It just never occurred to me.

But this was another game where the third place contestant should have bet zero.  If he had, he would have been the new champion.

I only got the Rockies and The Atlantic for TS/missed DD.

• Love 1

Jeopardy! ran on schedule here in NYC at 7 PM, I guess because the curfew in DC meant all was quiet for now.

I figured out FJ, but 1917 was my first thought also. Then I remembered that it was the last film I saw at the movie theater before the Great Shutdown. 😷

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Our affiliate in Atlanta is running ongoing NBC news. The sister station is showing ongoing local news. NO JEOPARDY!  The ticker at the bottom of the screen is still showing election results. Feh. I guess I'll be up all night again, waiting for them to run J!.

Have you heard about if NBC down here will be showing it later or anything?  Where would we even look?

Not gonna lie, I did laugh at one of the categories tonight being "your government at work". Another form of the J! curse, perhaps?

When I think of WWI movies, I don't think of WW. It never would have come to me. I could only guess 1917, but I was certain that movie came out in 2019. I was given a free on-demand movie and selected it, only to not be able to actually watch it because the way it was shot gave me motion sickness.

I also had to google to make sure I wasn't going crazy about Dunkirk - that is a WWII movie, not WWI.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

As another NYC area Jeopardy viewer, I set my dvr to ‘series’ record for this week.  I teach a remote learning ‘faith formation’ class for 2nd graders on Monday nights from 6-7pm, and didn’t want to miss a minute of this most special week.  I was VERY happy when I switched from CNN tonight at 7pm to WABC/7 and saw Jeopardy!   

I cannot bear to think that after this week, that we will no longer have new shows with our beloved Alex.....

I can't believe that I cannot even enjoy one of Alex's final shows right now because it was preempted by live coverage from the Senate!  There is no escaping politics anymore.  Nothing is sacred.

Our abc station showed the usual 7 pm Wheel and 7:30 Jeopardy! tonight. Had no idea for FJ, as I’ve never seen any WW movies.  I knew 1917 was too recent, and War Horse, the other WW1 film I could think of, was too long ago (2011).

Instaget FJ for me tonight, but that’s only because I had just watched Wonder Woman right before Christmas so I could watch the sequel. (Actually if this episode had originally aired when first scheduled I would not have know the answer.)

• Love 3

I desperately needed tonight's episode as a mental health break from the day's events, so I'm happy it aired just an hour late rather than in the wee hours or tomorrow. 

The Adam & Eve category immediately ruined my shot at the elusive perfect game, but I got everything else in the first round other than a couple of the TV shows and only missed a few in DJ.

I had no idea for FJ, though; "What is something I've never seen?" was clearly not going to be accepted, and none of the few titles rattling around in my head turned out to be right.  I'd have sat here until I died and never come up with Wonder Woman; if you want to ask me about the WW underoos I had in the '70s, I can talk about WW.  Otherwise, I got nothing.

The Michelangelo clue had no business in DJ.  Same with Eli Whitney.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, kav said:

Have you heard about if NBC down here will be showing it later or anything?  Where would we even look?

I've been watcbing channel 11 all night. At 3:04 AM they started showing Days of Our Lives.  I'll wait until 4 & see what happens. All night long the ticker at the bottom of the screen just showed election results, nothing about when they're gonna show J!

Normally, I'd be annoyed and move on, but now there's only TWO more AT shows.left. Crap.

I was glad to get a break when I flipped to our CBS station to see as usual Jeopardy on it's usual time. I think they aired wheel and it before going back to the news. 

Anyhow as for FJ. I was thinking 1917 but then I remembered it was a more recent movie. I didn't think of WW. Is that really a war movie? The first half is in her world, then they go to war. But then the third act is her fighting a super villain. So I'm not sure I'd call it a world war 1 movie, just taking place there. Which is kind of mean of the show. Clearly the contestants felt the same way. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, blueray said:

So I'm not sure I'd call it a world war 1 movie, just taking place there. Which is kind of mean of the show. Clearly the contestants felt the same way. 

the clue said "set during World War 1" didn't call it a World War 1 movie.  Maybe that's why Alex said to pay attention to everything.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Trey said:

The woman in the middle would have done a lot better if she hadn't kept making wrong guesses.

I didn't write down all my ts's but I know I got yellow, Carrie, road map, and Yesterday.

Instaget FJ; I even pre-called it after the category was revealed.  The clue didn't say it was the same name for both men - in fact it didn't even say they were both kings - but it was a reasonable assumption.

He was given credit for it.

(personal thoughts of mine: wishes to understand the "pre-called" in this message)

14 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

(personal thoughts of mine: wishes to understand the "pre-called" in this message)

When I saw the FJ category but before I saw the clue I started thinking of various states and the Carolinas, named for Charles I of England, came to my mind and then turned out to be the answer.

I hope this explains the term "pre-called".

Last night's game was not a good game for me.  I got no ts's and did not get FJ.  1917 was all I could think of and I knew it was more recent.  I would never have thought of Wonder Woman.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I even saw Wonder Woman and I didn't have any clue.   Aargh.  the only missed q I got was the Atlantic.

I got the entire categories of 19 century America and GQ right.

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Jeopardy! ran on schedule here in NYC at 7 PM, I guess because the curfew in DC meant all was quiet for now.

I figured out FJ, but 1917 was my first thought also. Then I remembered that it was the last film I saw at the movie theater before the Great Shutdown. 😷

War Horse was my answer - though the year is wrong. I have a hard time keeping track of when things happened this century unless they're huge.

11 hours ago, Dobian said:

I can't believe that I cannot even enjoy one of Alex's final shows right now because it was preempted by live coverage from the Senate!  There is no escaping politics anymore.  Nothing is sacred.

This reminds me of when we visited Mr. Starling's family in the midwest, and the Loma Prieta quake hit - while we were watching the baseball game at Candlestick. Our house was much closer to the epicenter, so we were scrambling to find news and see if our house had survived (it had). The Mr's Nana grumbled and said "you can read about it in the papers tomorrow. I want my Jeopardy!" (that would have been my contestant story if I ever got on, lol).

8 hours ago, dcalley said:

I really like Yoshie, though her FJ wager was not ideal.

I really like Yoshie too.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

the clue said "set during World War 1" didn't call it a World War 1 movie.  Maybe that's why Alex said to pay attention to everything.

I only made it part way through WW, and had no idea that it was set in WW1, could have sworn it was WWII.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Trey said:

When I saw the FJ category but before I saw the clue I started thinking of various states and the Carolinas, named for Charles I of England, came to my mind and then turned out to be the answer.

I hope this explains the term "pre-called".

Yes. 

• Love 2

So it did air at 3:07am here, and my ol' DVR recorded it.

Oof. They keep getting more sadly prescient for me. 
Alex at the end: 

Two killer finals in a row. What will happen tomorrow? Tune in. You'll find out then.

For the DJ DD:

In 1857 this monthly magazine with an oceanic name was founded in Boston; it moved to D.C. 150 years later

Was I the only one yelling at Jared "Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic! Atlantic!"?

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Adam & Eve category immediately ruined my shot at the elusive perfect game, but I got everything else in the first round other than a couple of the TV shows and only missed a few in DJ.

If we had been a team, @Bastet, I would've cleared all but one of the Adam & Eves.

But I don't think a fast-paced game like Jeopardy would work with teams.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But I don't think a fast-paced game like Jeopardy would work with teams.

Imagine a team with two very competitive contestants - they would keep trying to out-buzz their teammate.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I only made it part way through WW, and had no idea that it was set in WW1, could have sworn it was WWII.

Traditionally Wonder Woman was set during World War II--the comic book debuted in 1941, and the first season of the Lynda Carter TV series was set during World War II.  For whatever reason, the movie moved it back to World War I.

I didn't get it, although after it was revealed I felt like I should have.  Alex did telegraph that it was going to be a somewhat unusual answer.  1917 was all I could think of, even though I knew it came out too late to fit the clue.  I was trying to think of other movies set during WWI, but I couldn't think of Wonder Woman--even though I just watched Wonder Woman '84 over Christmas.

• Love 2