Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I could live with him if he does get it.  Of the purported frontrunners, I'd certainly prefer him to Mayim but liked him less than Buzzy or Ken.  He's a very safe choice, no boats to be rocked there, really a bit plastic for my tastes.  I don't really see him with much future as a cultural icon or a public intellectual, for lack of a better term, but perhaps that suits Sony just fine.  The next question would be who will replace him as EP?  Do they have anyone in-house?

I really liked Buzzy as host, more than I thought I would (and I'm one who always liked him, anyway). Mike was good. I like Ken well enough, though I think he needs a little more game-show-host polish. Mayim...please, no.

• Love 5

Wednesday:

Before FJ I was hoping Matt would wage $40,000 so I could see an $80,000 payday. 

I'm a little surprised all three contestants missed FJ.  German was the first thing that came to my mind.  I suppose Dutch was a plausible guess, but not French.

• Love 4

Faber made a mistake I think. After Matt missed the Rolling Stones clue, Faber gave the answer instead of letting the others get a chance to ring in with the correct response.

I'm genuinely grossed out by the idea they will pick another generic white guy as host. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

Posted this in the guest host thread, but thought some here might be interested as well.  Mike Richards called frontrunner for permanent hosting gig. 

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/

I find this incredibly disappointing. I worked in HR for many years and one of the things I hated most was having to interview candidates for a high-level "open" position that really wasn't, because the higher ups already had their man. (It always was a man, most often white. 🙄) It was a sham and a total waste of my time.

That's how I feel reading this news. They've wasted our time these many months when long ago, they'd decided to just promote from within. Not cool.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm genuinely grossed out by the idea they will pick another generic white guy as host. 

i thought Mike did a really good job. 

I got FJ right, but for the wrong reasons.

I got the missed clues of Inquisition and Melanie Griffith.

I got the entire category of famous moms right, which is weird because I'm not usually good at those kinds of categories.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

Good.  I thought he was the best, although I am enjoying David Faber.

I do too.  I didn't know who he was but he is one of the better guest hosts. 

If it's Mike Richards I like the choice 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

That's how I feel reading this news. They've wasted our time these many months when long ago, they'd decided to just promote from within. Not cool.

Most of the guest hosts aren't really available for a full-time hosting gig.  I'm not sure that these were auditions but just time between Alex and new host to lessen harsh comparisons.

• Love 8

I also said French for FJ tonight, thinking of the connection between Jefferson and France.  German makes so much more sense!

I got the TS of Keith Richards, Melanie Griffith, sol, rum, and paw.  I'd like to thank "The Martian" for sol.  I also admit to being a bit distracted during the second round, as I find blowouts like that to be a little boring.

I don't feel like our time has been wasted with the guest hosts.  We aren't the ones who will make the decision, in the end, and these guests are having a good time raising money for charities.  I didn't really see the guest gigs as auditions, except perhaps Ken's.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I find this incredibly disappointing. I worked in HR for many years and one of the things I hated most was having to interview candidates for a high-level "open" position that really wasn't, because the higher ups already had their man. (It always was a man, most often white. 🙄) It was a sham and a total waste of my time.

I don't at all think they decided this ahead of time. He just did the best job.  

He may work for the show but he was a total unknown to the general public.  Plenty of big names auditioned as well if anything you'd think they'd have an advantage over the guy no one has heard of.  

4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Most of the guest hosts aren't really available for a full-time hosting gig.  I'm not sure that these were auditions but just time between Alex and new host to lessen harsh comparisons.

I think most of the guest hosts except Aaron Rodgers could have found time to do the job.  It's a prestigious job and not an easy one but let's face it, not a terribly time demanding one.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

My thoughts exactly.  I really like the job David Faber is doing but realistically I doubt he would give up his day job to host Jeopardy. I think the producers intentionally had the guest hosts so as not to replace Alex immediately, and to raise money for charity, which was something near and dear to Alex’s heart. 

• Love 9

I got FJ - my German grandparents immigrated to Philadelphia.  (So did my Polish ones - nobody in my family went through Ellis Island.)  OK - that was well after the time period mentioned in the clue, but it seemed normal to me.

I blew Zoe Kravitz' mom - I said Roxie Roker, who's Lenny Kravitz's mom & Zoe's grandmom. Don't ask me how the hell I know that. I wouldn't know any of 'em but Roxie by sight.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'd like to thank "The Martian" for sol. 

lol..same.

24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also admit to being a bit distracted during the second round, as I find blowouts like that to be a little boring.

I missed some because my picture kept going out and the sound would switch to a beep. At first I thought it was the cable box or the TV but it seemed to only be on that channel. Weird.

• Love 1

I missed most of the second round, so I read through it online just now and was surprised at Matt's low score. Too bad for the charity (and Matt). Plus, I think the other contestants seem to be vicariously thrilled yesterday at his big payday. 

For FJ, German was my first thought (because Pennsylvania) but I don't know that I would've settled on it. I considered French, which now seems silly, which I'm sure is what Matt is thinking too.

I instagot the TS of Keith Richards (dummies!).

• Love 2

The Keith Richards TS surprised me.

Matt's "What's ..." habit didn't bother me until he used it on Dolly Parton.  I don't require "Who is Her Majesty Dolly Parton," but "What's Parton?" is just wrong. 😉

His facial expressions when he was trying to get something from his brain to his mouth entertained me, though.  I suspect my cat would say, "You look like that a lot during this game."

Speaking of my cat, I watched in the bedroom while cuddling with her (I needed some kitty cuddle therapy that couldn't wait until 7:30), rather than in my office, so I didn't keep track of my gets and misses.  I know I blew the entire 16th century category and missed a handful of others in the first round, so did worse than I normally do in that round, but I think I was a little above average for DJ.

FJ was an instaget, then I second-guessed myself with Dutch, before remembering what Pennsylvania Dutch really means and going back to German.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, that sucks. He's the damn PRODUCER. Just do your job, man.

I don't see why it's a problem - people move around within companies.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also said French for FJ tonight, thinking of the connection between Jefferson and France.  German makes so much more sense!

Pennsylvania Dutch is a bastardisation of Deutsch, meaning German.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was really wondering there if we would have only Matt play FJ! I’m glad they others got enough to barely get through and at least play, but can’t believe they all missed it! German was the first thing that came to mind, questioned if it was actually Dutch, but then settled on German. Ouch Matt!! Wow, to think you can lose $37,000 and still win the game!

And add me as another shocked they all missed Keith Richards! I answered “Keith Richards” just from the clue of Johnny Depp finally getting to read his autobiography, because there have been so many memes comparing him to Keith Richards. Then they read the actual excerpt and even spotted them “Mick” and they still couldn’t get it!? 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 3

French wasn't a bad guess.  In addition to a sense of connection between several of the Founding Fathers and France, I think I recall that one reason the Declaration was published was to court French support.  Kevin was unlucky not to remember who the Pennsylvania D(e)ut(s)ch really are.  And it was tough to see the charity lose all that money, but no risk means no reward.  I wonder if any of the players during this time have wagered differently than they might if they were just representing themselves.

Boy, that "Famous Moms" category annoyed the life out of me!  I had a vague sense that I knew all of them but could come up with none of them in time.  I had Claudia Schiffer instead of Christie Brinkley, and it must have been less than ten days ago that I read about Lisa Bonet being fired from The Cosby Show for "creative differences" not long after her pregnancy with...what was her name again?  Maybe I need to borrow "Us Weekly" from the lady behind me at work so I can bone up.

• Love 2

I think Matt had a "scared straight" moment tonight when he lost the bulk of his money on FJ. I like him, and I know he's a history buff, but it was a stupid, unnecessary bet that made him look cocky. I'm very curious to see what he does tomorrow if he's in a similar runaway position.

I like this week's host, but he says Matt's full name very quickly, and it makes me chuckle because it always sounds like "Madam Odio" to me, lol.

ETA: I thought Mike Richards was fine, but he's certainly not my frontrunner, and I will be somewhat disappointed if he's the permanent pick. It wouldn't make the past few months feel like a bait-and-switch per se, but being someone already connected to the show definitely gave him an advantage, so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples with the other candidates, many of whom took a while to get into the rhythm of the show. We shall see.

Edited by Cherpumple
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I was really wondering there if we would have only Matt play FJ! I’m glad they others got enough to barely get through and at least play

Regarding the last few clues before FJ, it looked to me like Matt deliberately made sure the others got out of the red and into FJ before he plucked the low-hanging $400 fruit of FAMOUS MOM Yoko Ono.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got FJ - my German grandparents immigrated to Philadelphia.  (So did my Polish ones - nobody in my family went through Ellis Island.)  OK - that was well after the time period mentioned in the clue, but it seemed normal to me.

I think many people mistake Pennsylvania Dutch as Dutch immigrants, but it is Germans (Deutsch mistaken for Dutch).  The area I grew up in was German and Polish immigrants.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Matt's "What's ..." habit didn't bother me until he used it on Dolly Parton.  I don't require "Who is Her Majesty Dolly Parton," but "What's Parton?" is just wrong.

I don't care about the what's, but it bugs me that he NEVER gives a first name.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Matt's "What's ..." habit didn't bother me until he used it on Dolly Parton.  I don't require "Who is Her Majesty Dolly Parton," but "What's Parton?" is just wrong. 😉

LOL! 

25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

While it often irks me too when Matt doesn't give a first name, it fits with what I presume to be his (winning!) strategy of not wasting brain power on things like parsing pronouns (What's or Who's?) or stating unnecessary details.

ETA: Not that "Dolly" is an unnecessary detail! For one thing, "Dolly Parton" has a sweet and southern cadence to my ears that conveys her personality more than either name would separately, and as a musician, I'm sure she's aware.

But for purposes of netting a $200 Jeopardy clue, "Parton" was sufficient.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The next question would be who will replace him as EP?  Do they have anyone in-house?

Maybe Ken, isn't he already a producer of sorts on Jeopardy? And though I'm not crazy about Richards getting the gig - I guess Ken is in the same position (ie already working for Jeopardy), and he was second on my list, so I guess I shouldn't get bent out of shape. Richards will be fine - though I found him bland, but competent.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I blew Zoe Kravitz' mom - I said Roxie Roker, who's Lenny Kravitz's mom & Zoe's grandmom. Don't ask me how the hell I know that. I wouldn't know any of 'em but Roxie by sight.

I didn't know knot that about Roxie Roker. I knew Bonet, but couldn't get it out of my mouth in time.

9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Pennsylvania Dutch is a bastardisation of Deutsch, meaning German.

I got German because I knew that, though my husband (who also got German) pointed out that there were many "real" Dutch nearby in New York (New Amsterdam) so it wasn't an unreasonable guess.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Regarding the last few clues before FJ, it looked to me like Matt deliberately made sure the others got out of the red and into FJ before he plucked the low-hanging $400 fruit of FAMOUS MOM Yoko Ono.

I thought so too.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

The last name is all you need according to the rules, unless you need to be more specific. It's a good tactic, many have messed up saying the wrong first name. I only say the first name when it comes automatically out of my mouth - which generally means I am really sure of the full name.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

While it often irks me too when Matt doesn't give a first name, it fits with what I presume to be his (winning!) strategy of not wasting brain power on things like parsing pronouns (What's or Who's?) or stating unnecessary details.

I think it's wise to skip first names.  Some contestants have been ruled wrong with an incorrect first name, albeit a correct last name.  I wouldn't risk it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got Melanie Griffith as Dakota Johnson's mom, and then blurted out "Tippi Hedren!" for Gwyneth Paltrow's mom, even though I knew good and well it was Blythe Danner.  Tippi, of course, is Melanie Griffith's mom lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

A so-so game for me.

My ts's were Star Chamber, rum and paw.  I usually do well in three letter words. I was very embarrassed that I did not get Laurentians - it just wouldn't come to me.

My first thought for FJ was French but I changed it to German pretty quickly.  I know that Pennsylvania-Dutch is really German. 

Lady on the end must have felt so badly that she changed from the correct answer to the wrong answer. She still wasn't going to win but getting FJ correctly is sort of vindication.

I'm glad they all got to play FJ - for a while I thought only Matt was going to play.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The last name is all you need according to the rules, unless you need to be more specific. It's a good tactic, many have messed up saying the wrong first name. I only say the first name when it comes automatically out of my mouth - which generally means I am really sure of the full name.

I understand that, and I'm obviously not saying that he should be counted wrong, I 'm just saying it bugs me.  I also don't care for board hopping, but yeah, it's a good strategy.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: Not that "Dolly" is an unnecessary detail! For one thing, "Dolly Parton" has a sweet and southern cadence to my ears that conveys her personality more than either name would separately, and as a musician, I'm sure she's aware.

I have a similar feeling with Reba McIntire.  Look at her. Could that woman be named ANYTHING other than Reba?

I'm happy to read I'm not the only one looking for Madam Odio.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If true, that would speak volumes about his character. I'm also wondering how much of his large bets on FJ when it's a runaway have to do with wanting as much money as possible and how much is him wanting to try to get as much as he can for the charity. 

• Love 5

Ha ha!  I knew FJ and Mr. Smarty Pants didn't!

Seriously though, I live just across the state line from Lancaster County, home of the Pennsylvania Dutch, whom anyone who's from around here knows is really Pennsylvania German.  So that's why I said German.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Ha ha!  I knew FJ and Mr. Smarty Pants didn't!

Seriously though, I live just across the state line from Lancaster County, home of the Pennsylvania Dutch, whom anyone who's from around here knows is really Pennsylvania German.  So that's why I said German.

I went to college in Lancaster county. Might have to give back my degree if I didn't get that one.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I think he is definitely going for the most to go to charity.

I think so too.  I read in an interview, I think the one from EW, that he considers himself very risk-averse and doesn't enjoy making large bets even when he knows it's the right move to make in terms of gameplay.  Somehow without the charity factor I don't think he would bet quite as much as he has been while playing Final against the house.  But that's just a sense I have.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Trey said:

Lady on the end must have felt so badly that she changed from the correct answer to the wrong answer. She still wasn't going to win but getting FJ correctly is sort of vindication.

I thought the same thing about Nicole's changed answer - being the only one to get FJ, especially when one of your opponents is a dominant 11-day champ who'd only missed three FJ prior to this, would have been a nice consolation prize.

• Love 6

Re FJ: So...two contestants (I'm including the champ, since it's what he wrote originally) think that (Kit) Rushmore was unpopular in 1935 (the sculpture wasn't even completed until 1939)???  And "Washington" is a head scratcher!!!!

Fun wikipedia fact: Beginning with a prospecting expedition in 1885 with David Swanzey (husband of Carrie Ingalls), and Bill Challis, wealthy investor Charles E. Rushmore began visiting the area regularly on prospecting and hunting trips. He repeatedly joked with colleagues about naming the mountain after himself. The United States Board of Geographic Names officially recognized the name "Mount Rushmore" in June 1930.

As to J!...I said "Edward Longshanks", instead of "Edward I", since I believe that's what he's called in the movie. Acceptable? I also said "Parrot", rather than "parakeet" (I know, they're not the same, but at least it was closer to correct than "wren").

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

God, I'm slow today. My only TS was North Face (Deb Haaland was on the tip of my brain, though).

If the clue says "three-named person" they should have to give all three. (That said, I could only come up with Warren before time was up so at least I would have been ruled correct.)

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

If the clue says "three-named person" they should have to give all three. (That said, I could only come up with Warren before time was up so at least I would have been ruled correct.)

Yeah, that’s just bullshit he didn’t have to say all three names.  

• Love 11

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of stalag and King Arthur.

I go the entire category of cooking verbs right.

35 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Re FJ: So...two contestants (I'm including the champ, since it's what he wrote originally) think that (Kit) Rushmore was unpopular in 1935 (the sculpture wasn't even completed until 1939)???  And "Washington" is a head scratcher!!!!

I don't think being 4 years off on the completion of something over 80 years ago is that insane.  I've been to Mount Rushmore and would have no idea (except that you just told me) when it was completed.  And it was a controversial thing.  Or at least it is now.

• Love 2

<------  Dynjandi waterfall!  We got to go see it (and hike up to it) a couple of weeks ago. It is spectacular.

Did not get FJ again.  Maybe I'm too well-rested.  I did much better last week jet-lagged.

I did get North Face, Amanda Gorman, and parakeet.  Clearly Matt knows nothing about birds.  Wrens are tiny little brown jobs.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Fun wikipedia fact: Beginning with a prospecting expedition in 1885 with David Swanzey (husband of Carrie Ingalls), and Bill Challis, wealthy investor Charles E. Rushmore began visiting the area regularly on prospecting and hunting trips. He repeatedly joked with colleagues about naming the mountain after himself. The United States Board of Geographic Names officially recognized the name "Mount Rushmore" in June 1930.

As to J!...I said "Edward Longshanks", instead of "Edward I", since I believe that's what he's called in the movie. Acceptable? I also said "Parrot", rather than "parakeet" (I know, they're not the same, but at least it was closer to correct than "wren").

I think they just couldn't think of anything else and wrote down Rushmore.  It's all I could think of. 

It's official. Mike Richards new host, to the chagrin of some here. 

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/05/jeopardy-ep-mike-richards-new-permanent-host/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yay for me? I am very tired and yet FJ was an instaget.
I guess this means Matt was even more tired since he didn't write Hoover first. I wonder if he will have trouble making it through tomorrow since (I assume) it was taped right after this one without a break for a nap.

Amanda Gorman was a TS? 

Hurray for a Chicago librarian! Sorry you had to go up against Matt.

47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did get North Face, Amanda Gorman, and parakeet.  Clearly Matt knows nothing about birds.  Wrens are tiny little brown jobs.

Yeah. I was yelling "Parrot!" I think the "hat" decoration part of clue made me think bigger than parakeet, even with the picture:

• EXTINCT ANIMALS for $1200:
    "With feathers once favored in women's hats, the Carolina variety of this bird was widespread in the eastern U.S. until around 1920"

Would "Parrot" instead of "Parakeet" have been a BMS or correct or wrong? 
From Wikipedia:

I guess it depends on who's hosting?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, that’s just bullshit he didn’t have to say all three names.  

And on top of that, the woman in the middle had to be more specific about King Richard??! There's only been ONE.