Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
17 hours ago, theartandsound said:

I'm sorry if this was mentioned already and I'm sorry Matt, but...

IT'S WHO IS XXXXX... WHO..... IS.... WHO IS!!!!!!

Pet peeving but it's driving me nuts.....

I startled my husband by yelling "WHO!" during the show last night.  😮

I have had ENOUGH of it.  My god, you're driving me mad, man! 

Edited by AnnMarie17
Because Matt is making me so crazy I forgot grammar.
  • Love 6

Funny, Matt’s phrasing doesn’t bug me at all. Just a quirk.  He seems like a nice guy, not full of himself, and I am enjoying his run. There have been other champs who annoyed me more than him. 

The show never elaborated, but he is doing his PhD in computer engineering at Yale.  Not too shabby.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Go with "Is it ___?" That'll really get people riled up. Not the usual formulation but it is a question! (Pretty sure I've heard it but not very often. I've also seen them give credit at least once for not using "Who/What/Where is" at all because the correct response was in itself a question.)

There was an entire category where the writers set up the contestants to just give questions as answers without the usual "who is," etc. It was "Perfect Responses for Jeopardy" on this show: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5932

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

IIRC, someone said that contestants are allowed to write "What is" or whatever before the FJ clue is read.  Do they use their own judgment on whether to write "What is" or "Who is," based on the category?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Driad said:

IIRC, someone said that contestants are allowed to write "What is" or whatever before the FJ clue is read.  Do they use their own judgment on whether to write "What is" or "Who is," based on the category?

I thought I remembered one or more posters here who were contestants say that they were given the first part of the question to pre-write before FJ ( like "who is" or "what is").  Which might explain why we got a "who is" on one of Matt's recent FJ's.

• Love 2

Missed the first couple clues for a weather report....there be tornado warnings about. I'll be sure to get to the lowest floor of my second floor condo... Missed some others just because I was distracted and then my phone started screaming more warnings at me. Watched most of the second round from the hallway. Warning is in effect for another 15 minutes, at least. Typing this in the bathroom, and I closed the bedroom doors but I can hear the rain loud and clear (all my windows face the front, in the living room and two bedrooms; bathroom and kitchen are on the back wall of the unit with no windows).

TS I got: Jeff Bezos and green.

I was a little confused by the explanation of the Take a Few Letters category but I did okay in it; missed two and at least one was because I didn't hear the clue.

Didn't get FJ. I said Medellín because I figured it wasn't Bogota and I couldn't think of any other Colombian cities.

• Love 2

I didn't get FJ -- couldn't think of anything except Bogota, and figured that was incorrect.

I did get the TS of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Peter Sellers.

If LeVar wants this job, he's going to have to learn how to pronounce Camus.

I don't like the way Matt picks clues.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I said Bogota because I don't know any Colombian geography or Phoenician words.

the only missed clues I got were John tyler and green.

I got the entire category of help right.

Petty complaint about the Springfield clue. they did d'oh to clue us in to the Simpsons, and then they chose Oregon and Missouri instead of Vermont and Oregon.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I don't like the way Matt picks clues.

I don't either, but seeing how it's working for him, I doubt he'll change his ways.  And, I think he's here for the long haul.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Roaster said:

That didn't know Peter Sellers?

74,000 payday for Matt.  And Reading is Fundamental

i was absolutely sure that was Woody Allen.  

• LOL 1

The announcer threw me off in the beginning. He pronounced Dana like Donna. At first I thought it was a mistake, but then realized that must be how she pronounces it. 
Color me shocked that nobody knew Peter Sellers too. I got him, and Bezos. I have been to Colombia more than once and knew Cartagena. Matt’s total is giving me shades of James H. I’m annoyed he does all the last clues in all the categories first. 📚 Good for RIF. 

• Love 3

I knew Cartagena because of the Panama Canal Cruise my mom & I took in 92. Cartagena was one of the stops.

LeVar's gonna have to be more flexible when the responses given don't match what's on his cards. Ruling Dana wrong and then correct was weird.

• Love 4

I'm not going to stop watching now, because I refuse to miss any of LeVar Burton's shows, but I really don't like Matt.

And yes, Bach required a bms.

I knew FJ because of Romancing the Stone.  (I love that movie.)

Last night, I vacillated between Twelfth Night and The Tempest, the two Shakespeare plays which begin with shipwrecks, but did land on The Tempest in time.

I can't believe that none of them recognized Peter Sellars.  Oy vey.

21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

We definitely could teach him, we heard it often enough.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

How did he pronounce it?

4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

LeVar's gonna have to be more flexible when the responses given don't match what's on his cards. Ruling Dana wrong and then correct was weird.

He takes too long to rule in general. Drives me nuts. Hopefully he only has the one day left. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't want him as permanent host. I think the best ones have been the ones who blend into the flow of the show, and his long pauses and increasingly-excited shouts of YES! or whatever with each successive correct answer are getting on my nerves. My friend sent me an article which said people's impressions of him are generally positive, but one of the comments on it said he often sounds like he's talking to children and I can't disagree.

Plus, I didn't watch Reading Rainbow (I was almost 8 when it started), so I don't have the nostalgia connection a lot of people seem to.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

levar really annoys me.  why is he famous?

Roots, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek, Captain Planet. A bunch of TV directing. Winning a Peabody, a Grammy and multiple Emmys.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, it was the Last Word Said in Classic Films category I particularly loved.

I pre-called "day" when I saw the category title.  Gone with the Wind is my mother's favorite movie.

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I got Peter Sellers from the clue rather than from the photo.

Oh, I knew him from the clue, too.

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was troubled by the form of the word that was accepted from Matt in the JARGON category, for $2000:

• Clue:
    A legal metaphor warns against the "fruit of" this kind of tree, as it deals with evidence illegally obtained
    • Matt gave "poison" but it's "poisonous"

I would've protested that one.  It was wrong.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Someone should tell Law & Order that, LOL.

I've never heard them say "poison tree" on L&O, only the correct "poisonous tree".

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think if I ever get on Jeopardy I will ask "why is" for everything.  

Now I'm wishing I'd said "Is it" for all my answers.

7 hours ago, Roaster said:

I always wondered if they would accept "Could it be  ?"

Like "Could it be The Tempest?"  or "Is it The Tempest" But maybe not, because the answer to those questions are yes/no, not the wording they have in the clue.

Great minds think alike, lol.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He's annoying me less over time but even when he did bug me I would not have said he was the most annoying, not by a long shot.

True, there is always Austin.

2 hours ago, Driad said:

In my game, we were told which one to put.  "What is" was the way we were instructed to put it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

That didn't know Peter Sellers?

74,000 payday for Matt.  And Reading is Fundamental

Levar Burton sure lucked out on being on this week in regards to money for his charity. Today’s total may have beat out some other guest hosts’ entire weekly charity total.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Roots, Reading Rainbow, Star Trek, Captain Planet. A bunch of TV directing. Winning a Peabody, a Grammy and multiple Emmys.

thanks....i'm only familiar with roots and star trek and don't remember him.......but in my defense i am approaching 76!   

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

thanks....i'm only familiar with roots and star trek and don't remember him.......but in my defense i am approaching 76!   

He was Kunta Kinte in Roots, the main character as a young man.  And he was the engineer on Star Trek: the Next Generation.

• Love 1

The episode is pre-empted here for the NBA draft, so I just read the archive.

Yikes.  I knew I wasn't a Beatles fan, but I wasn't expecting to blow the entire category.  Other than that, I had a good first round, missing one each in something (the text of the Jon Stewart clue is incomplete on the archive, so I had no idea, but I know if I'd been able to see the picture, I'd have identified him regardless of what the rest of the clue says, so I'm giving myself that one and calling the Tyler TS my only miss) and everywhere (I ran that one, but took way more time than I'd have had if watching to spit out Mombasa, so I have to deduct one).

In DJ, I was terrible in noble laureates; between the ones I didn't know and the ones where I couldn't get the name from my brain to my mouth quickly enough to count, all but one go down as misses.  It was just not my round; I didn't run a single category.  At least I only missed one each in military abbreviations (a pleasant surprise), head & hands, letters, and actors (I don't think being able to see the picture would have helped with Josh Hartnett).  I missed two in richest people.

I didn't get FJ, either. 

53 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He was Kunta Kinte in Roots, the main character as a young man.  And he was the engineer on Star Trek: the Next Generation.

I'm 65 and the main thing I knew him from is Roots.  I knew he was on Star Trek and Reading Rainbow, but I've never seen any episodes of either of those. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Levar Burton sure lucked out on being on this week in regards to money for his charity. Today’s total may have beat out some other guest hosts’ entire weekly charity total.

Yes, but, OTOH, LeVar also hosted the most boring (and arguably most annoying) week on Jeopardy! since the guest hosts started.
I mean, clearly Matt knew all the Beatles songs. Couldn't he have sung a couple of the titles to spice things up? I sang the last one and I have a terrible toothache.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I love it when I run a music category and the Beatles was no exception. If they had an entire category dedicated to Slipknot or System  of a Down, I'd be lost but I'll take a win no matter what.

I really am not liking that Matt gets ruled favorably too often. To me, Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct. Advisor was the correct answer. Since when did half answers get credit? If that's the case, they should only get half a point.

I know this is a competition and we want to root for the very best but I noticed when Ken or even James had a sizable lead, they'd back off the board late in the game so the other contestants would have SOME money to play with in the game. Matt should have done the same to allow that one guy (name escapes me) in the Final Jeopardy.

Matt still annoys me....and I think we're stuck with him for awhile...sigh...

• Love 5
(edited)

24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(the text of the Jon Stewart clue is incomplete on the archive, so I had no idea, but I know if I'd been able to see the picture, I'd have identified him regardless of what the rest of the clue says, so I'm giving myself that one and calling the Tyler TS my only miss) 

It referred to "this future Daily Show host" (so right there you've only got three possibilities) and something about being funniest in high school or something (someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I can't remember), with a pic of young Jon. If you watched him with any regularity, I'm sure you'd recognize him.

jon-stewart-senior-photo.png

4 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

To me, Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct.

It was Resident Assistant at my college.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
Just now, ams1001 said:

It referred to "this future Daily Show host" (so right there you've only got three possibilities) and something about being funniest in high school or something (someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I can't remember), with a pic of young Jon. If you watched him with any regularity, I'm sure you'd recognize him.

Oh yeah, I'd have known that one in a heartbeat.  The archive just says "Not surprisingly, this".  Without being able to see the picture contained within "this", I had no shot.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct

My dorm called them "Resident Assistant" so I think this is going to be like playthings vs workshop.

I have to thank the local station for not airing the show today, because I discovered that it's actually pretty easy to watch on YouTube, and the YT video doesn't have any commercials, either. 

Matt doesn't bother me. He is more emotionally expressive than most contestants, reacting with relief or self-flagellation after getting an answer right or wrong, but I don't mind. I think it might disrupt the concentration of the other players, but I don't think he's doing it for that purpose. Also, he has an impressive range of info in his head PLUS quick reflexes. I can't begrudge him any of that!

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh yeah, I'd have known that one in a heartbeat.  The archive just says "Not surprisingly, this".  Without being able to see the picture contained within "this", I had no shot.

Yeah, I looked when I read your other comment; I tried to find the clue elsewhere but couldn't. I don't know why the picture links never work.

21 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I love it when I run a music category and the Beatles was no exception. If they had an entire category dedicated to Slipknot or System  of a Down, I'd be lost but I'll take a win no matter what.

I really am not liking that Matt gets ruled favorably too often. To me, Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct. Advisor was the correct answer. Since when did half answers get credit? If that's the case, they should only get half a point.

I know this is a competition and we want to root for the very best but I noticed when Ken or even James had a sizable lead, they'd back off the board late in the game so the other contestants would have SOME money to play with in the game. Matt should have done the same to allow that one guy (name escapes me) in the Final Jeopardy.

Matt still annoys me....and I think we're stuck with him for awhile...sigh...

I thought Resident Assistant was wrong too, but "Assistant" has become a default term in many job descriptions, like "office assistant."

I was surprised Matt didn't leave the last clue for Bryan, but I was able to rewind and see that Bryan was still $1200 in the hole at that point, and it was just a $400 clue.

One thing I really appreciate about Matt is his vast amount of knowledge of so many diverse things. Yes, he has good strategy and buzzer skills too, but he seems to know a greater number of different kinds of esoteric bits of information than some other champs. Matt may not collect "things" like he said his father does, but he sure does collect information.

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

At my university (way back in the 1970s), RAs were Resident Assistants. Matt had one of the possible correct answers.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I thought Resident Assistant was wrong too, but "Assistant" has become a default term in many job descriptions, like "office assistant."

Okay, but I haven't lived in a dorm since 1982, and we called them Resident Assistants back then, so I don't think it's a new thing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:
2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

To me, Resident Assistant should NOT have been ruled correct.

It was Resident Assistant at my college.

The same for me and I graduated from university in 1967.

• Love 3

I have definitely heard RA both ways.  I called the only one I ever had in college something else, but never mind.

I can’t help but feel that at least a few of LeVar’s more conspicuous and objective screwups, like “Carnegie…no…uh, yes,” could very easily have been fixed by a quick retake or in post.  I understand this show is generally done live-to-tape, but I’d think they’d want all their guest hosts to look as good as possible, even the ones they’re clearly not really considering for the full-time role.  I wonder why they don’t think that energy and expense is worthwhile, and whether others did get a little more help from the crew to fix errors.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Just to join the pile-on, at the university where I work, the official job title is "Resident Assistant."

Those of you who care (which I'm sure is all of you! 😀) will be happy to know that MeTV has finally begun showing Jeopardy and Wheel, as they had promised to do, so I no longer have to resort to YouTube for the duration of the Olympics.  This was certainly not the case on Monday and Tuesday.

I have no opinion on Matt's quirks, one way or the other, but you can't say that he's not doing well in the game.  His $74,000 total yesterday puts him in the upper echelons.  Only 3 people have ever had a higher single-game total, and two of them were Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer.  Matt is well on pace to become one of the game's top money-winners.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Matt doesn't bother me. He is more emotionally expressive than most contestants, reacting with relief or self-flagellation after getting an answer right or wrong, but I don't mind.

I actually find him less emotionally expressive.  He strikes me as being bored half the time.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, graybrown bird said:

I actually find him less emotionally expressive.  He strikes me as being bored half the time.

Possibly because of his voice?  He speaks in a monotone.

Yes. Matt's expressions of joy (big smiles) or dismay (full-body expressions) are either entirely silent, or being muted post-production.
I am typically watching on a large screen, so that might be why I see his reactions.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

Had to look up FJ on youtube, because my J! affiliate cut away late in the game for a lengthy weather bulletin (it's the Northeast and it's the middle of summer and rain is on the way, so everybody panic!!). I knew Matt must have won, of course, but the two totals going into FJ were amusing: $44,000 and $4,400! 

Matt doesn't really bother me. He's no Austin, or Arthur, or Colby. Like many here, I find his range of knowledge very impressive and fun to watch.

Jon Stewart was immediately recognizable, and was actually quite good looking as a senior. I went to the same high school as him for a couple of years, and have his eighth-grade picture in my freshman yearbook. He was an excessively geeky 13 year-old!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Posted this in What is...In the Media? but will also post it here...

Jeopardy champion Matt Amodio is now one of the top 10 highest-winning contestants ever!

https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-matt-amodio-top-10-highest-winning-contestants-ever/?did=657703-20210730&utm_campaign=ewk-tv_newsletter&utm_source=ew.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=073021&cid=657703&mid=63382813072

Lots of interesting comments that were also made here:

"Of course, as other Jeopardy contestants know, being a successful champion doesn't necessarily make you beloved by the show's fans. Some viewers have called Amodio "the most annoying contestant ever" due to his habit of saying "what's" for every response, rather than "who is" when naming a person. (Per the rules of Jeopardy, responses simply need to be phrased in the form of a question, regardless of the pronoun used.)"

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

From the EW article, I most liked: 

Asked to pick a highlight of his run in a post-game interview with Jeopardy's Sarah Whitcomb Foss, Amodio chose his first victory on the show. "Once you do it once, that's just such a great accomplishment," he said. "Nobody can ever take that away from you."

He has a nice voice too. His humility seems to come from knowing enough to know that nobody knows everything.

• Love 11