Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Maybe instead of “Tournament of Losers” they could call it the “Second Chance Tournament”. 

I like "Tournament of Losers".  If you're going to expose yourself to further potential humiliation in front of millions, then go ahead and own it!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Driad said:

This is standard in science fiction. When discussing a star and its planets, the star is typically referred to as the sun of that system.  By the way, the name of our sun is not "the sun," it's Sol.

There was a comedy album in 1966 called, "How can you say the whole world isn't Jewish when even the sun's name is Sol?"

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What was up with the FJ wagering? 
I'm referring to the object being to win, presuming that displaying meaningful numbers is secondary at best.
Maybe when LeVar said Matt had a "commanding" lead it threw them off...? 

I don’t really get what’s confusing about their wagers? Barb bet enough so that if she got it right, her total would be more that Matt’s current amount, so if Matt misses she wins. And Matt bet a small amount so that if he got it right there would be no way Barb could double her score to pass him. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t really get what’s confusing about their wagers? Barb bet enough so that if she got it right, her total would be more that Matt’s current amount, so if Matt misses she wins. And Matt bet a small amount so that if he got it right there would be no way Barb could double her score to pass him. 

But why then would Matt not bet a larger amount?

11 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I was really pulling for Barb...ran the Minnesota category. Of course, I should...Levar seemed a bit better but his shouts of "YES!" might annoy me over time. At least he didn't yell "WRONG".

(finds such "shouts" to have had been entertaining (and reminders of certain expressions of joy from certain receptions of certain TV programs); does not mind possibility of hearing such shouts occasionally)*

(*a response in the form of a narrative)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

That's very generous of you. I'm sorry you're on fire, and trying to count my blessings that we're getting only some of the smoke and none of the flames! I wish we could send you some of the shocking volume of rain we've been having here!

I've often thought that somewhere in the distant future, science would know how to divert the rain from hurricanes over to the parched thirst (don't criticize, I'm no scientist and this is highly wishful thinking)

So far, the biggest fire is to the east of us and we're not getting the smoke. That could change in an instant. We wait with bated breath every summer, and don't inhale deeply until the rains start in October.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

About Matt's idiosyncrasies: When he mentioned that his father was a "collector" of "everything," I took that to mean Matt's father was a hoarder. Matt said he rebelled by being a minimalist. Matt's style of answering "What's" for everything is a minimalist approach --as well as not wasting time and mental energy parsing the pronouns and/or verb.

But, yes, it is irritating.

I don't find it irritating myself, but I really like your analysis. It makes a lot of sense.

I loved Rendezvous with Rama, and have read it several times. The sequels, not so much. So that was an instaget. I am really mad at myself that I went blank for The Expanse question. It is my favorite SciFi show ever, and apparently I'm as bad at space geography as I am at earth geography. (and yes, I know it's not "geography" in space, but I needed the parallel language 😉.)

FJ wasn't an instaget by any means. Though I did connect the Sun with fire, and came up with Phoenix in enough time. I was completely sure I was wrong, and was pleasantly surprised.

FJ's been good to me two days in a row, so I'm prepared to tank the rest of the week.

• Love 2

One thing I did NOT need to know is the white sand beaches are parrotfish poop.

Re: the asteroid Ceres.  I read an essay by Asimov that tried to persuade the reader that Ceres was large enough to be considered a planet. A world. The World Ceres.  (Yeah, the good Dr. A loved his puns.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: the asteroid Ceres.  I read an essay by Asimov that tried to persuade the reader that Ceres was large enough to be considered a planet. A world. The World Ceres.  (Yeah, the good Dr. A loved his puns.)

We have a book of Asimov's jokes. They are mostly groaners these days, but a few of the punchlines have made our catchphrase/inside joke list.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I got Red Cross in the Templar category and France. FJ was an instaget. My parents had an antique Chinese statue of one and there was always a war about who would get it. Mom settled that by giving it to me before her death. It is currently wrapped up in a drawer because my cat has found knocking things off of shelves and dressers is a fun game. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I missed most of the first round but checked the archives and would not have gotten any ts's. Nor did I get any in the rest of the game.

FJ was an instaget although I wasn't positive it was correct.

Matt is growing on me but, I'm sorry to say, Levar is not.

I've often thought that somewhere in the distant future, science would know how to divert the rain from hurricanes over to the parched thirst (don't criticize, I'm no scientist and this is highly wishful thinking)

I always like to think that there are scientists somewhere in the world working on problems like this.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Asimov wrote more than a few stories which seem to exist solely to get to the pun at the end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got Red Cross in the Templar category and France. FJ was an instaget. My parents had an antique Chinese statue of one and there was always a war about who would get it. Mom settled that by giving it to me before her death. It is currently wrapped up in a drawer because my cat has found knocking things off of shelves and dressers is a fun game. 

My parents have a closed glass display cabinet with four or five shelves and several things that used to live on top of the TV cabinet moved into it after one of the cats learned to jump up there (first from the arm of the couch and later from the floor).

I felt kinda dumb that I didn't get FJ but I'm not that good with mythology.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But why then would Matt not bet a larger amount?

Because he didn't need to.  His wagering garnished him $25.400. Had Barb doubled her total she would have had $24,800.  I suppose he could have gone ahead and bet $8,000 assuming that if she got it right she would bet it all, so if he got it wrong and she got it right he would lose anyway, And that still would have kept him safe from the third place person, but historically speaking when someone is that close to having a runaway, they usually do bet the least amount they need to.

Sadly, I did not get the FJ of Phoenix, which ended my 5½ day streak of getting FJs.
The half was the Big Island of Hawaii. I knew the other island was in Alaska, but did not know Kodiak.
I wonder if someone had written "Big Island of Hawaii" if that would have been acceptable (j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7094). I'm pretty sure "the Big Island" would not not be, which bothers me, because my parents worked and lived there for the last 30 years of their 67 year marriage.

28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Because he didn't need to.  His wagering garnished him $25.400. Had Barb doubled her total she would have had $24,800.  I suppose he could have gone ahead and bet $8,000 assuming that if she got it right she would bet it all, so if he got it wrong and she got it right he would lose anyway, And that still would have kept him safe from the third place person, but historically speaking when someone is that close to having a runaway, they usually do bet the least amount they need to.

Thanks for the effort to explain. Whenever numbers turn into dollars, something in my brain starts going into overload. (I never gamble; that would Not be fun for me.)

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I knew the other island was in Alaska, but did not know Kodiak.

I got Kodiak because of a nature documentary about the bears, that mentioned it is the biggest island in Alaska.  Big bears, big island, luckily it stuck in my head.

• Love 6

I haven't watched yesterday's game yet, but I did run through the archives.  I'll watch later today so observe LeVar again.

FJ yesterday was an instaget for me, and I also got the TS of Hurricane Rita and Flo-Jo. 

• Love 3

Growing orchids in a "fridgarium"...love it.

Missed clues I got: Horror, Matterhorn, Ephesus (well, I said Ephesians...it asked for the "people of this city" so I guess that's technically wrong but I was closer than the players), and Bridge.

Did not get FJ.

LeVar's enthusiasm is starting to feel a little over the top.

I wonder if Matt's FJ wager was intended to get the donation to an even 50 grand...

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Trey said:

Matt is growing on me but, I'm sorry to say, Levar is not.

I agree.  Levar's sing-songy vocal style works fine for reading to children, but he needs to calm that down for Jeopardy. It comes across as trying too hard.  I really really hope he won't be the permanent host.  

• Love 15
(edited)

Is Levar destined to have Matt in every game he hosts?

I normally don't mind multi-game winners, but today Matt had over $12000 before the first commercial break.  Takes away any horse-race element of the game.

I did get FJ - Shakespeare, a sinking.  The Tempest.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 2

Instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Sinking made me think of a storm, which led me to the correct response.  

Matt is starting to get on my last nerve.  Also, I've never heard, "Idle hands are the devil's playthings" before, but Mr. Google tells me it's a thing, so I guess I can't get too worked up about it.  I did not get any TS.

• Love 3

My friend just sent me a message that says "It pains me to say it, but I’m not loving Levar Burton as the host".

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Also, I've never heard, "Idle hands are the devil's playthings" before

I have but it took me a couple tries to get the order of words right.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yaaaayyyy, Matt!! Not the consensus, I know, but I enjoy watching him (LeVar, too, BTW) and I have to admit I laugh a little when he responds, because i picture all of the viewers having apoplexy when he says "What's....."

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaguess FJ for me tonight.  Sinking made me think of a storm, which led me to the correct response.  

Matt is starting to get on my last nerve.  Also, I've never heard, "Idle hands are the devil's playthings" before, but Mr. Google tells me it's a thing, so I guess I can't get too worked up about it.  I did not get any TS.

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I suppose I should clarify -- I've always heard the phrase as, "idle hands are the devil's workshop."

I'm another who always heard workshop, never playthings.

I thought LeVar kind of hit his stride today (Wednes), but I think he's the kind of host that people will either love or hate. He's not bland and anonymous, so he doesn't blend into the background and will provoke a reaction either positive or negative. He's not going to bore anyone; it will be either like or irritation.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm another who always heard workshop, never playthings.

Okay, I had to google...wikipedia says the "workshop" wording comes the The Living Bible translation; it also lists the "playthings" version and a few others as alternate forms of the proverb.

This proverb is thought by some to originate from the Bible, the book of Proverbs chapter 16 verse 27 (Proverbs 16:27). Yet this is probably a misreading driven by an application of Protestant theological assumptions. The King James version of the verse refers only to ungodliness: An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.

Only The Living Bible of 1971 injects the idea of idleness into its translation: Idle hands are the devil’s workshop; idle lips are his mouthpiece. (TLB also adds the literal translation: A worthless man devises mischief; and in his lips there is a scorching fire.)

Proverbs 16:27 may have inspired St. Jerome to write in the late 4th century: fac et aliquid operis, ut semper te diabolus inveniat occupatum, or “engage in some occupation, so that the devil may always find you busy.” This was later repeated by Chaucer in the Canterbury Tales, which was probably the source of its popularity.

• Useful 6

Today was the first day I watched Levar and I loved him!  No "you got it" after every correct answer (that bothered me so as it seems to diminish the answers and game IMO).  He was enthusiastic and did not have long awkward pauses.  I will continue to watch and hope my opinion of him does not falter.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder if Matt's FJ wager was intended to get the donation to an even 50 grand...

My husband and I commented on the same thing. He didn't need to make a big wager. We figured it was so a larger donation would be made if he was right, not money for himself. He is really impressive. I like him.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

My husband and I commented on the same thing. He didn't need to make a big wager. We figured it was so a larger donation would be made if he was right, not money for himself. He is really impressive. I like him.

Before LeVar said the amount I was wondering why he wagered anything at all. I guess if you know you're gonna win, you've already won over $100K, and it's for a good cause, you may as well risk it.

• Love 2

I could picture the FJ Shakespeare play (I saw it outdoors 22 years ago) and I do know the title but could not pull it out of my head.
Saya, OTOH, had written "The Tempest" and crossed it out. It wouldn't have made a difference for her anyway.

3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, it would be both, right? He get more money too, right? Win-win, both Matt and the charity? Or do I have that wrong?

Matt seemed to have a very tasteful new expensive suit jacket on. Perhaps pants too? 
Matt strikes me as being a little bit on the spectrum, but a nice guy.

I was troubled by the form of the word that was accepted from Matt in the JARGON category, for $2000:

• Clue:
    A legal metaphor warns against the "fruit of" this kind of tree, as it deals with evidence illegally obtained
    • Matt gave "poison" but it's "poisonous"

• Love 6

Ugh, another Bible category already.  Of the past ten games, six have had religion categories, and four of those have been about Christianity.  There are additional such clues within categories that aren't specifically about religion, too.  It's entirely too much, and didn't used to be so ridiculously prevalent.

On the flip side, I continue to enjoy LeVar Burton's guest host run; I like his voice and his enthusiasm.  Since, for him - having states his desire to be considered for the regular hosting role - this serves not just as a fun experience and charity fundraiser, but also an audition, I wish he got two weeks so we - and the producers - could see how he does absent the first taping day nerves that everyone has to get worked out from game to game as the day goes on.

I really enjoyed the Idioms Made Fancy category.  Good thing, as it was the only category I ran in the first round (I'm giving myself credit for "devil's workshop"; it's at least just as common and fits just as well).  I missed three in fiction, two in remember, and one each in the rest.  Not terrible, but I usually do better than that in the first round.

In DJ, it was the Last Word Said in Classic Films category I particularly loved.  I ran that and Burgesses, and did better than the first round overall - I missed two each in biblical kids and AKAs, and one each in jargon and John.

My spotty Shakespeare knowledge bit me in the ass for FJ, though.  I rattled off several plays I knew it wasn't from, but didn't come up with the one that it was.  Like yesterday, this was another instance where I wanted to do a V8 head smack when the answer was revealed.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yaaaayyyy, Matt!! Not the consensus, I know, but I enjoy watching him (LeVar, too, BTW) and I have to admit I laugh a little when he responds, because i picture all of the viewers having apoplexy when he says "What's....."

I normally don't like runaway games, especially when it's obvious early on that they're going to happen, but I did like Matt's story about 4 years of Latin and 2 years of Spanish not being enough to act as the family translator in Spain. I thought he was going to say he tried to do it with the Latin alone!

• Love 5

I'm liking Matt more and more, and he has such a shy, happy smile. Plus, he does what I do when I miss a question (answer?): duck my head while I [lightly] smack the side of it with my hand.

I agree with whomever said Lavar is trying too hard, but I don't care. I still 💗 him.

Nobody has mentioned oar vs. paddle. So I will.

• Love 10
On 7/26/2021 at 11:42 AM, PaulaO said:

My sister and I have created 2 rules that we think Jeopardy! should embrace.  1.  If you don't get FJ! correct, you cannot win the game, no matter how much money you have.  2.   You have to bet at least the amount of the clue if you hit a Daily Double.  None of this "I'll wager $100."  Don't pick a clue in that category if you don't know the category. 

Yes, 1000% to your rule #2.  I've been saying that for years.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was troubled by the form of the word that was accepted from Matt in the JARGON category, for $2000:

• Clue:
    A legal metaphor warns against the "fruit of" this kind of tree, as it deals with evidence illegally obtained
    • Matt gave "poison" but it's "poisonous"

Someone should tell Law & Order that, LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I agree.  Levar's sing-songy vocal style works fine for reading to children, but he needs to calm that down for Jeopardy. It comes across as trying too hard.  I really really hope he won't be the permanent host.  

Since he really wants the gig, he is trying, probably too hard. I like his voice, but he still needs a little work. I do like his enthusiasm though. It comes across genuine to me. Last night our daughter watched with us (rare) because of Levar.  She loved Reading Rainbow, and therefor Levar.

12 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I'm only starting to warm to him as a person (not that I disliked him - I just didn't connect with him)  but I always enjoy powerhouses. They're impressive as heck.

6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I normally don't like runaway games, especially when it's obvious early on that they're going to happen, but I did like Matt's story about 4 years of Latin and 2 years of Spanish not being enough to act as the family translator in Spain. I thought he was going to say he tried to do it with the Latin alone!

That story is what started warming my cold dead heart. Anyone who shares something humbling, is okay in my book.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I suppose I should clarify -- I've always heard the phrase as, "idle hands are the devil's workshop."

On the workshop/playthings issue - I thought I was more familiar with "workshop" but apparently I've also heard "playthings" because it reminded me of a Futurama episode, The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings:

Fry makes a deal with the Robot Devil so he can get robot hands to play the holophoner and impress Leela. In a twist of fate, Fry trades hands with the Robot Devil and writes a masterpiece opera about Leela. However, the Robot Devil has evil plans of his own.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

All I could come with last night was Bridge.

That was my only ts too.

As soon as I saw the FJ category I knew I wouldn't get it and I was right - I didn't get it.

I am not totally ignorant about Shakespeare but I have more misses than hits with that subject.

The "what's" still annoys but I am liking Matt more and more.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think if I ever get on Jeopardy I will ask "why is" for everything.  

Go with "Is it ___?" That'll really get people riled up. Not the usual formulation but it is a question! (Pretty sure I've heard it but not very often. I've also seen them give credit at least once for not using "Who/What/Where is" at all because the correct response was in itself a question.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I always wondered if they would accept "Could it be  ?"

Like "Could it be The Tempest?"  or "Is it The Tempest" But maybe not, because the answer to those questions are yes/no, not the wording they have in the clue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just saw this tweet and it made me giggle... (I'm way behind watching J! and don't have any feelings about Matt or Levar):

A: The most annoying #Jeopardy champion ever.

Q: WHAT'S Matt?

• LOL 15
6 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Just saw this tweet and it made me giggle... (I'm way behind watching J! and don't have any feelings about Matt or Levar):

A: The most annoying #Jeopardy champion ever.

Q: WHAT'S Matt?

He's annoying me less over time but even when he did bug me I would not have said he was the most annoying, not by a long shot.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I always wondered if they would accept "Could it be  ?"

Like "Could it be The Tempest?"  or "Is it The Tempest" But maybe not, because the answer to those questions are yes/no, not the wording they have in the clue.

It just has to be in the form of a question.  The question doesn't have to be logical.  As someone else noted "is it?" has been accepted.  I think I even remember them accepting it because they just raised their tone in a questioning manner. So, "The Tempest?"  But, I only remember that happening once.

• Love 1

The stupid local station didn't air Jeopardy today like they said they would. Their usual programming was in the timeslot. I don't know if they're incompetent, or if it was a deliberate choice, but I'm miffed. 

Will have to go looking on YouTube later. 

16 hours ago, theartandsound said:

I'm sorry if this was mentioned already and I'm sorry Matt, but...

IT'S WHO IS XXXXX... WHO..... IS.... WHO IS!!!!!!

Pet peeving but it's driving me nuts.....

Thank you!  its been driving me up a wall!  Don't you think somebody would have pulled him aside for a short lesson in grammar?

• Love 4