Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: The Parent Trap

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Kid said:

And discipline. The kid is out of control. I don’t usually take Jihoon’s side but I am this time. The kid was acting like a brat and. if he had not put her down, she could’ve fallen out of his arms and gotten hurt.  So in my opinion, he did nothing wrong. And, where is this kid’s father?  Has he no responsibility for his spawn??  This is not Jihoon’s kid and she should be grateful that he appears to have affection for her and is trying to be a father.  And why was he not carrying his son and Deavan taking care of her daughter?

Normally with a blended family, especially if one bio parent is out of the picture (I assume), I would be all about the new stepparent taking on a big role in raising the kid. My own stepdad never thought of us as anything other than his kids, and it meant a lot to us. But of course he didn't immediately step in and start disciplining us while we were virtual strangers. And it's clear Jihoon is out of his depth with Dracula. Yes, he's new to being a dad, and that's hard, but he's even newer being a new daddy to an overstimulated, under-parented hellspawn. There's no reason he can't become a "real" dad in the future, but for now his role is cool fun weekend dad. He can assume the more "real" dad role when he and Deavan get their shit together as a couple first. Until then, she has no business insisting he do the heavy lifting now, when she hasn't lifted a finger in five years.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Jihoon is a loser. That said, does Deavan ever smile? I know she’s having a rough time bc Jihoon is basically just another child for her to take care of but I don’t think I’ve ever seen her smile.  Why hasn’t she taught Dracuzilla to listen and behave like a human child?  She’s old enough to deal with the consequences if she doesn’t listen. She’s like a wild animal! She needs to learn to follow some basic rules so she can survive in this world. How fun was it for Dracuzilla being carried by her ranting Grandmother screaming, “She’ll fucking die!”  Great example setting a Grandma. It’s easy to see where Dracuzilla’s atrocious behavior comes from. They better rein that kid in before she has to start school.  That shit won’t be tolerated.  

Also, does Deavan look pregnant in her TH segments? 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, nytonc said:

I thought she looks pregnant in their "angry" intro shot where they're standing back to back and she's wearing a baby doll dress and little girl style braids

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, nytonc said:

Why hasn’t she taught Dracuzilla to listen and behave like a human child?  She’s old enough to deal with the consequences if she doesn’t listen. She’s like a wild animal! She needs to learn to follow some basic rules so she can survive in this world. How fun was it for Dracuzilla being carried by her ranting Grandmother screaming, “She’ll fucking die!”  Great example setting a Grandma. It’s easy to see where Dracuzilla’s atrocious behavior comes from. They better rein that kid in before she has to start school.  That shit won’t be tolerated.

Dracuzilla!! 😂  Perfect name for the "free range" child.  

Edited by ThereButFor
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, nytonc said:

29 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I thought she looks pregnant in their "angry" intro shot where they're standing back to back and she's wearing a baby doll dress and little girl style braids

Yeppers to both, and I also couldn't help but notice the way she placed her hand on her stomach during the tour of the latest apartment.  

I know that could be coincidence, but it seems to be prevalent amongst pregnant women.  I know I subconsciously engaged in that behavior when I was pregnant.  

Mini Persnickety follows a lot of these clowns on social media so I'll ask her if Deaven has posted anything that could possibly indicate a pregnancy is on board.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Maybeitsme said:

Devan will always be a hateful unforgivening mesrible bish, no matter who she's with.  That poor boy and yes at 30 he is still a boy! But I can see where she gets it from as well as why he is like he is at his age. They need to cut ties, parent as best they can separately but cordially and go their separate ways.  That is all 

YES to this, Deaven seems to think she is a cut above Jihoon but in reality she is much the same and she has no happiness, at least not on this show, you are right she is miserable and probably no relationship would make her happy.  She also lives with her parents and does not work.  I think it is difficult to sever ties when there is a child involved.

• Love 4

If there is a better ad for birth control than these shows, find it.

Ari and Binyam's baby

Tae-Yang

Pierre

All will grow up in fractured or dysfunctional families.  Not fair.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

One thing I will say regarding Jihoon is he is extremely polite and respectful.

Are Elicia and Deaven LDS?  Elicia has a real potty mouth constantly using the f bomb.

At the beginning of the episode after they saved the life of Dracilla from the neglectful watch of Jihoon, they were walking back to the apartment, there was another young woman walking with them, she was blond with a ponytail. I guess she could be part of the crew, she just seemed out of place.  

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think on Brittany’s end it’s fabricated- she has no intention of marrying Yazan. But I think Yazan and his parents assumed she was coming to marry him. 

Also, I have no doubt that his parents understand English because after Brittany’s flowery simpering about respecting them and wanting to learn, the mother just waved off Yazan translating, essentially saying yeah, I heard her.

I’m starting to dislike Kenny and his attitude.  Armando is a darling young man and Kenny is not being sensitive to his life experience and culture.  I almost wish Armando, now that he’s out, would meet people his own age rather than a grandfather.  I think Armando is a trophy to Kenny.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Kid said:

And discipline. The kid is out of control. I don’t usually take Jihoon’s side but I am this time. The kid was acting like a brat and. if he had not put her down, she could’ve fallen out of his arms and gotten hurt.  So in my opinion, he did nothing wrong. And, where is this kid’s father?  Has he no responsibility for his spawn??  This is not Jihoon’s kid and Deavan should be grateful that he appears to have affection for her and is trying to be a father.  And why was he not carrying his son and Deavan taking care of her daughter?

Yeah, I think it's very telling that Devan was saying that drascilla can NEVER be put down, with the implication that she will run away and into a street if she isnt closely held. 

To me, then, it's a systemic problem that existed far before jihoon came on the scene.  

I think both elicia and Devan are happy to put jihoon in charge of drascilla because they know they have raised an undisciplined, high energy child that neither of them really want to be responsible for.  Carrying the baby is much easier.  

Elicia and Devan want to be able to blame someone else for drascilla's behavior and the consequences.  If jihoon has immediate control of her than no one needs to talk about the years of lackluster parenting that leads to a child who cannot EVER be put down without running into the street. 

Whoever said that it's simple deflection hit the nail on the head. 

Devan and elicia can both pretend like Devan made some great sacrifice to come to Korea and that she can go back to the US if jihoon doesn't clean up his act. 

But, IMO, elicia and her husband are happy to be rid of Devan and drascilla and Devan doesn't have it nearly as good in the United States as she makes out and she cannot find a man who wants to support her and two children from different men while Devan stays at home and particularly when one child is bratty and he will be constantly scapegoated.

I think if Devan had a good situation in the states she would have told jihoon to go fly a kite.  She might have done  a yearly visit with the baby but that would be it. 

Elicia is tired of babysitting a bratty kid who is getting stronger and harder to control. 

Elicia nor her husband are probably happy about the scrawling all over their walls.  They want their lives and their home back.  

31 minutes ago, Lesia said:

If there is a better ad for birth control than these shows, find it.

Ari and Binyam's baby

Tae-Yang

Pierre

All will grow up in fractured or dysfunctional families.  Not fair.

Drascilla.  Hard stop. 

But then I see Angela's sweet grandbabies and I think.....awww maybe...  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

Yeppers to both, and I also couldn't help but notice the way she placed her hand on her stomach during the tour of the latest apartment.  

I know that could be coincidence, but it seems to be prevalent amongst pregnant women.  I know I subconsciously engaged in that behavior when I was pregnant.  

Mini Persnickety follows a lot of these clowns on social media so I'll ask her if Deaven has posted anything that could possibly indicate a pregnancy is on board.  

There is a possible explanation for this on their couples thread.

• Useful 2

Predictions:

Wednesday Addams and Jibum:  Wednesday returns to the states and has baby number three with dad number three.  Grandma despairs over all these bad dads.

Areola and Binky: Areola becomes an orthodox Christian.  Binky moves his ex-girlfriend into the bedroom and Areola and baby sleep on the couch.

Gammy and Sumtwit: Gammy and Sumtwit open their own hugely successful paint store franchise after Gammy recognizes that India has an enormous potential market for decent paint.

Britney Spears and I am Yazz:  Things go smoothly between Britney and I am Yazz's family all the way to the wedding day, when she mentions that one small detail about still being married.

Edited by Dobian
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, snarkish said:

I personally think Armando and Hannah should have waited until being able to come to Florida. It's really not THAT far from Mexico! Or how about if Kenny moved to California or Arizona and they moved up there? If Kenny could make the few day trip to drive, they could come visit Armando's family.

There is a multiple-year wait for people who wish to LEGALLY immigrate to the US from Mexico.  There is no wait for people who wish to move to Mexico from the US.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, snarkish said:

I personally think Armando and Hannah should have waited until being able to come to Florida. It's really not THAT far from Mexico! Or how about if Kenny moved to California or Arizona and they moved up there? If Kenny could make the few day trip to drive, they could come visit Armando's family. Although I agree with others that maybe a different more gay-accepting city in Mexico might have been a better choice. 

You assume Armando would ever want to move to the US.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, BravoAddict72 said:

Except they didn't show him actually do that. That is what they said he did. They have shown in the past that feral child has no discipline. In the first season they showed her Deavan said they could not go anywhere for more than 15-30 minutes or else Drucilla would have a tantrum and throw herself on the floor. When they showed her room there were drawings on the walls themselves in markers and crayons. I think lots of kids run towards the street at one time in their lives. I know mine did. Once. You discipline them once and they learn not to do it. This little girl is 5 years old and still wears diapers and drinks out of a baby bottle. Unless she has developmental delays there is no excuse for that. Deavan is a lazy parent who needs to start disciplining her child.

I understand they didn’t actually show that, which is why I said in my original post that this version of events has not been disputed by anyone. 2 people who witnessed it, Deaven and Elicia repeated the same story and Jihoon, tearfully apologized for it.

If Jihoon said anything like, “that’s not what happened” then I would say the facts are in question and agree we don’t know that Jihoon did anything wrong. However, from what we know, a reasonable person would go by the facts presented and his acceptance and remorse for those facts...that he was running for the child, Deaven yelled at him, and this stopped him in his tracks to respond to that instead of continuing after the child.

In the above is true, then Jihoon most definitely is responsible for dangerous behavior, regardless of all the other noise and idiots who surround him. Those specific acts are what Elicia is screaming about, and I would do the same if he ceased to chase after my child and instead chose to argue in the street.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I know that could be coincidence, but it seems to be prevalent amongst pregnant women

do we know the time frame of how long Deaven has been back in SK? Wasn't she there during the quarantine show? Was this filmed before or after? If she's been in the US and only recently returned to SK with her mother and Druscilla, have Jihoon's SUPER SPERM swimmers scored again? I recall her saying that when she had sex the first night she met Jihoon and the condom fell off, she knew immediately that she was pregnant. If he's so potent, you'd think they'd be more careful. There's no excuse for NOT using an alternate form of birth control (except that she's a dim wit according to her MIL) 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, SG11 said:

I understand they didn’t actually show that, which is why I said in my original post that this version of events has not been disputed by anyone. 2 people who witnessed it, Deaven and Elicia repeated the same story and Jihoon, tearfully apologized for it.

If Jihoon said anything like, “that’s not what happened” then I would say the facts are in question and agree we don’t know that Jihoon did anything wrong. However, from what we know, a reasonable person would go by the facts presented and his acceptance and remorse for those facts...that he was running for the child, Deaven yelled at him, and this stopped him in his tracks to respond to that instead of continuing after the child.

In the above is true, then Jihoon most definitely is responsible for dangerous behavior, regardless of all the other noise and idiots who surround him. Those specific acts are what Elicia is screaming about, and I would do the same if he ceased to chase after my child and instead chose to argue in the street.

Jihoon is a consummate apologizer and was so prostrate that I wouldnt have expected him to defend himself. 

I also don't see why Devan and elicia would completely pull that out of thin air.  

BUT, I do think that both Devan and her mother have shown a tendency to be overdramatic, particularly when it comes to hen pecking jihoon.  

In that vein, I think the truth is in the middle.  I think that jihoon was booking it after drascilla.  Devan started screeching at him and.....as he was running he told her to stop telling at him in the middle of the street.  

OR, elicia was already nearly caught up to drascilla and jihoon stopped and told Devan to stop screaming.  

Jihoon took off like a bat outta hell so, so I think he understood and appreciated the seriousness of the situation.  But Devan screeching in the middle of the street helped absolutely nothing and was probably more distracting than anything else.  

1 minute ago, magemaud said:

But Drascilla is Elicia's "LIFE!" 

LOL, which is why she is content to leave her in another country with a guy who barely has a job and only had experience caring for a dog.  LOL. She can peddle that story elsewhere. 

• Love 14
19 hours ago, RealReality said:

Drascilla needs a leash.  

Like seriously, I think devans pride prevents this but if her kid is running off so often that she cannot be put down....she needs a leash. 

THANK YOU!!! That kid has been allowed to run wild her whole life and yet Deaven and her idiot mom are mad at Jihoon because Drascilla is out of control? What 3 year runs away from simply being placed down. Is that why they carry her around all the time. I have 4 kids and they knew that if I had to repeat an important request (like, Come here please) they were missing the next fun outing. Simple. Jihoon has never fathered a 3 year old. He will learn parenting from his son. Deavan needs to look after her daughter as well.

• Love 14
53 minutes ago, SG11 said:

Nah, Jihoon and Elicia were both running for her. Bottom line, there were 3 adults present when Drusilla (HORRIBLE name) was set down. Both Jihoon and Elicia ran while Deavan screamed. If something had happened, it would be ALL their faults. If Jihoon was alone with Ms. Unruly child, it would have been his fault. They are all incompetent parents.

34 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

I think Elicia sounds exactly like Deavan and has the same droopy-mouthed, gloomy face.  

They both have the same legs too. Like solid tree trunks - surely there's strength enough for running in those legs? lol

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Adeejay said:

So according to Bini's family, Ariella should change her religion.  I take that to mean that his religion is important, while hers isn't.  For some people, religion is non-negotiable.  Seems to me that this is a conversation they should have had before she decided to move.  

I understand why Ari didn't see it as an issue because she grew up in an open household of two religions and was allowed to choose. Bini's insistence on baptism is fine, but their experience with the church made me furious. This is why I despise organized religion. As soon as one church insists their religion is better than another, is when Ari needs to get the hell out of Dodge. How dare a priest/minister state that the baby is doomed because he nurses from a non-Christian breast? Organized prejudice is more like their 'true faith'.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Chalby said:

I understand why Ari didn't see it as an issue because she grew up in an open household of two religions and was allowed to choose. Bini's insistence on baptism is fine, but their experience with the church made me furious. This is why I despise organized religion. As soon as one church insists their religion is better than another, is when Ari needs to get the hell out of Dodge. How dare a priest/minister state that the baby is doomed because he nurses from a non-Christian breast? Organized prejudice is more like their 'true faith'.

And it's all such a shallow farce. One party says "My religion is sooooo very important to me that you must convert!" The other party says "Okay, I'll put on a scarf and mumble some stuff I don't understand. That good?"  Yep, that's just fine. They accept that "conversion" as if it means the person knows anything about the religion, much less is truly devoted to it. It's all just a charade.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Quof said:

What the hell is with Mother Deavan saying D-what's-her-name is 3?  She is 5 now (according to lots on online information that she was born in early to mid-2015); how long ago was this filmed? 

I was unaware of this. When Elicia was screaming about Drusilla being 3, I took it for that. Now that I hear she is 5...? I am sorry but all four of my kids KNEW not to run off at 5. Furthermore, kindergarten will not accept a child in diapers, unless they are developmentally delayed and can receive a T.A.. What the hell is wrong with these people?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

I’m starting to dislike Kenny and his attitude.  Armando is a darling young man and Kenny is not being sensitive to his life experience and culture.  I almost wish Armando, now that he’s out, would meet people his own age rather than a grandfather.  I think Armando is a trophy to Kenny.

Thank you for putting into words what I was thinking. Maybe that's why Kenny (who appears to be unable to grasp a second language) is so keen to move to Mexico - he doesn't have to worry about other, younger, men swooping in on Armando? Armando will meet another, younger man, and it will be fabulous. But for now, he has chosen Kenny for the next ten years.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Can’t you just see Jenny in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco in the 1960s with flowers in her hair and beads around her neck???  😂😂

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Anyway, I agree with @poeticlicensed, Ari's family probably honored both traditions and weren't particularly religious or observant. People have all kinds of spiritual paths. Ari's "doubts" are just so much theater. 

This information further supports my belief that organized religions is merely an excuse for ordained intolerance and prejudice. Sadly, organized religion keeps its hold on people by insisting those who aren't recognized by the church/synagogue etc. will end  up in a bad place after they die, or whenever. I have always been spiritual and I enjoy learning about all faiths (especially when I hear of the stories that are shared among all religions). But going to a specific building, and paying $ to prove you are faithful, is a crock of u-know-wot!

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Absolutely true. I always suspect producer shenanigans.  The drama is better if this friction plays out. 

I am starting to worry about Ari a little. She was slouched over half leaning like she could almost lay down when meeting with the Priest. The shawl was wrapped better in the streets than inside the church. She is an educated woman who was raised with manners. She seems a little.....slow.....for lack of a better word. I thought her posture, alertness and decorum were not polite, self aware or respectful. 

Given what was being said about Christian and Jewish faiths, who cares if she appeared disrespectful to a religion that doesn't respect her or her unborn child?

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

And it's all such a shallow farce. One party says "My religion is sooooo very important to me that you must convert!" The other party says "Okay, I'll put on a scarf and mumble some stuff I don't understand. That good?"  Yep, that's just fine. They accept that "conversion" as if it means the person knows anything about the religion, much less is truly devoted to it. It's all just a charade.

The only religious leader I have time for is the Dalai Lama.    I’ve seen him speak 3 times because whenever he visits Toronto, he does a secular talk at Rogers Centre.   On one visit, he stated that he was going to tell us all what the very best religion was.  You could feel the tension.  Then he said, “the best religion is the one that makes you a better person”.   And he added, “even if it is no religion”.

• Love 20
48 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

The only religious leader I have time for is the Dalai Lama.    I’ve seen him speak 3 times because whenever he visits Toronto, he does a secular talk at Rogers Centre.   On one visit, he stated that he was going to tell us all what the very best religion was.  You could feel the tension.  Then he said, “the best religion is the one that makes you a better person”.   And he added, “even if it is no religion”.

I saw him in Vancouver. He said something along the lines of..."I'm not here  to convert you to Buddhism, in fact, stick with the belief system that works for you."  He's an amazing presence with so much compassion and wisdom. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

You assume Armando would ever want to move to the US.  

I apologize, I thought it was earlier intended there was issues with Armando coming to the US, so Kenny went to Mexico. Maybe I misunderstood. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Colte Gal said:

Jihoon is responsible for ____________________________ (fill in the blank)

everything that goes wrong in Deavan's life....including her having a daughter, son,and a mother....everything!

Her Mom wanted to know why junnnn did not have his own house since he is 30....and if he were in America ..that would be expected....well elyce he has a mansion and it is located right next to Druscilllia's dad's ....He bought it with go fund me funds!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Armando mentioned that the friends who came to their engagement dinner had moved from San Diego to San Felipe and that's how he knew them.  So, I googled San Felipe a bit and it seems like a haven for Americans and other internationals.  So, I guess I'm wondering why Armando and Kenneth didn't want to live in San Felipe and instead moved to another location.  Or, is there something fishy with where everyone is living?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1