Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E14: Witch-hunt

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dance4Life said:

I kinda watch this show.  Some episodes are really good but others just boring.

I missed the part of CLee talking about his sleeping situation.  
I guess it was an important plot line....but, I deleted the episode.

Then I heard that bratty chick bragging about how she took CLee’s bed.

I see they are a large crowd.  And, when friends plan trips people are mostly aware what they are chipping in for and the room arrangements.

But, she got there and didn’t want to share rooms with another girl....???.

Like maybe she agreed but had buyers remorse after seeing how small accommodations can be on a boat???

Unlike, a hotel room there is no pull-out or roll-away options. 🤣

CLee graciously offered his room while she complained to him.

The truth is......they got what they paid for.....and, CLee vented a little as well. 

You can Google.....Is BD real?  There is was a story I read about some guests who went on the show.  They are charged a flat fee......and, then each person pays their share. So, the more guests the cheaper the charter price. They do pay for their food and drinks....separately. They actually don’t end up paying much. I am not going to look again.....but, it was like $5,000 pp.

Is this what happened here?  The girl scammed CLee’s bunk......without realizing how disrespectful this is???  

Since you missed last week's episode and don't watch regularly - here's what happened - the charter group arrived-eight people - two couples and four single ladies.  When Kate was showing them their accommodations, one set of two single ladies (Molly the blonde and the female chef/model) grabbed the stateroom with the two single beds.  The other set of two single ladies (one was the lead charter guest's cousin-Jamie, and the other, Lauren (?) was a friend of the lead charter guests were shown the stateroom with one queen bed for the two ladies to share.  Jamie, who seems to be a bit of a spoiled bitch that no one else on the charter really likes, demanded that she have her own room and bathroom, so her supposed room mate, Lauren, slept in the sky lounge the first night, without complaint (sleeping on a couch with no access to a private bathroom).  The next morning, Lauren and the other girls spoke with Captain Lee about the situation, and Captian Lee and Simone (a stewardess) cleared his stuff out of the Captain's quarters, and gave Lauren the Captain's quarters for the remainder of the charter.  So, the girl who didn't bitch too much (Lauren) actually got the better side of the deal, staying in the Captain's quarters, while the one (Jamie) who was acting all spoiled, got her way as well, and came off on national TV as an entitled, spoiled, unlikeable brat. 

Captain Lee did the right thing for the one girl who paid for a luxury vacation but was not getting it, by sleeping on a couch. 

Whether or not it was a miscommunication prior to them boarding, or producer manipulation or what, it's hard to say.  Preference sheets show something about Jamie wanting her own room, but it was not discussed in too much detail on the show.

Hope that clears it up!  🙂

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 3
  • Love 10

That must be the most uncomfortable couch in the universe.  I've been on vacations and slept on couches and didn't have half the drama (of course I wasn't paying a huge amount of money for the privilege) but you would have thought Captain Lee was sleeping on the deck the way he was carrying on!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Despite all of Ashton's faults, I think he actually tried pretty hard to have things work with Rhylee. Her first night there she got into it with the chef, which had nothing to do with Ashton, and she brings her reactive negativity into every encounter with the other deck hands.  If it was only an issue of Ashton, then she should be on good terms with the other deckhands. 

Having watched Rhylee from the first time she was on this show, its clear the problem is in her. Ashton has plenty of his own faults, but I can understand why he is so fed up with her.  Notice that when speaking to the captain, she does not act the way she does with the deck hands or Ashton.  This shows that she knows its wrong. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Really liked seeing the 100th episode celebration.  The most interesting tidbit for me is that Eddie said he would come back.  When after everything went down with Rocky, he said he would never come back and he laid very low.  Hmm.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him doing next season.  Except for the Rocky thing, I really liked Eddie.  It was also really nice to see some of the old cast members.

Me too - I'd welcome Eddie back with all new deck crew. Or even Connie. Either one as Bosun. I think Eddie's last season he was way off his game and clearly dealing with personal issues that clouded his judgement. Not that he's innocent whatsoever, and not that it wasn't ridiculous how he handled the Rocky situation - but I'm willing to give him another chance. Speaking of Rocky -she looked like she lost quite a bit of weight (and she wasn't overweight to begin with), also - she did not lose that chip she has on her shoulder over her season. Like move on already hunny. And she poses as being all zen, living in Hawaii and being chill. I don't ever want to see her back on the show. Or her BFF Leon. Blah.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Captain Sandy would have told each of them that they were amazing human beings and tried to solve the problem with a long lingering hug. Pretty much the only thing I see her do that Lee does not, is give her crew the opportunity to learn and try to do things they previous had not done before. She is a better teacher, i'm not sure she is a better leader. 

Crapn Sandy would also have been hanging out with the Brus and defending them as tho her life depended upon it. She ALWAYS has Joao's back. She also meddled too dang much. I loathe her. LOL. We need someone btwn the two - one who trusts their Bosun/Chief Stew to do the right thing, without hovering all the dang time, as well as come around once in awhile and have their finger on the pulse of what's going on. I still like Capn Lee - and I agree he's been somewhat distracted this season.

I'm guessing brining the brus upstairs to back what Asston said was producer-driven. Plus an opportunity to get the bs on film.

Edited by BodhiGurl
tense
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, spunky said:

My girl Simone was killing it on service this episode. Those of us who liked you from the beginning knew you had potential, unlike Kate and her fans. It’s time for a new chief stew, this one gets away with being a mean spirited mean girl. She always chooses one stew to hate and ensures that everyone knows it. She’ll probably stop being a bully when her actions causes someone to harm themselves or others. Brian and Tanner shut up! Rhylee isn’t here to lay down and serve you two idiots. I don’t know what Courtney sees in Brian or what Simone saw in Tanner. 

Ashton please take a life long vacation on a deserted island. Asking on behalf of society.

Not sure what being a fan of Kate has to do with thinking Simone is a crappy stew. 

4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Thank you! I had wondered if I missed a course or something. I was surprised the guests didn't complain. But maybe they were just so wowed by his plating? LOL

I thought that they must have been served something else that they didn’t show because there is no way this group wouldn’t have complained about the size of the meal. 

• Love 13

I would love to believe that Kate told Capt Lee that Ashton was a big dick. But the clever way the clip was edited makes me unsure, she might have made those comnents during her solo interview (wearing a different Valor shirt), so Capt Lee's decision on whether to fire Rhylie wouldbe based on his still not knowing the fuller extent od Ashton's unforegiveable behaviors.  At a minimum I hope that he reflects on Kate's comments re Ashton's need to step up as a Dept Head and be a leader to help his team work together. I would love to watch next Monday and find that Lee did hear those comments from. Kate and sent Ashton packing. ButI doubt that iswhat happened since the after show interviews happened this fall, long after the seasonwas filmed, and all of the misogynistic guys showed no sign that Ashton was fired, or evenany self awareness of their own ugly behavior and complicity.  But I can still hope with fingers crossed.

One more comment for those critical of Capt Lee:  I've seen interviews previously where it's acknowledged that production has a very heavy hand in choosing cast members, and it is definitely not solely up to the Capt tho they try to make it appear so.  Production clearly wants cast members who will cause major drama.  

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

Me too - I'd welcome Eddie back with all new deck crew. Or even Connie. Either one as Bosun. I think Eddie's last season he was way off his game and clearly dealing with personal issues that clouded his judgement. Not that he's innocent whatsoever, and not that it wasn't ridiculous how he handled the Rocky situation - but I'm willing to give him another chance. Speaking of Rocky -she looked like she lost quite a bit of weight (and she wasn't overweight to begin with), also - she did not lose that chip she has on her shoulder over her season. Like move on already hunny. And she poses as being all zen, living in Hawaii and being chill. I don't ever want to see her back on the show. Or her BFF Leon. Blah.

I agree with Eddie coming back, but I don't think he was even too much "off his game" in his last season. Despite his "at-home-girlfriend/Rocky drama", he was still pretty solid with his crew & didn't mess up his work...he even jumped in as chef when he saw Rocky was going to grenadine another meal. I don't want to see Ashton, or even lame Nico back as Bosun.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Not sure what being a fan of Kate has to do with thinking Simone is a crappy stew. 

I thought that they must have been served something else that they didn’t show because there is no way this group wouldn’t have complained about the size of the meal. 

Because it’s mostly the Kate fans who are bashing Simone.

28 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

Crapn Sandy would also have been hanging out with the Brus and defending them as tho her life depended upon it. She ALWAYS has Joao's back. She also meddled too dang much. I loathe her. LOL. We need someone btwn the two - one who trusts their Bosun/Chief Stew to do the right thing, without hovering all the dang time, as well as come around once in awhile and have their finger on the pulse of what's going on. I still like Capn Lee - and I agree he's been somewhat distracted this season.

I'm guessing brining the brus upstairs to back what Asston said was producer-driven. Plus an opportunity to get the bs on film.

At the end of the season she was all over Twitter saying how Joao didn’t respect her because she’s a woman. Meanwhile he was on social media saying she was the best thing since sliced bread.

47 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's possible to bash Simone for being lousy at her job without being a "Kate fan."  People really can keep two opposing thoughts in their head at the same time.

I  can't find a thread for the 100th-episode special, but after watching it I was thinking that if BD fans had some recurring show-themed nightmares, two of them could easily involve eating a meal prepared by Rocky and getting a massage from Rocky--and they're both real life!  Run!!!!

1st paragraph...thank you!

2nd, not from the show so I'm not using this as a defense because it's not fair as to how she acts on the show, but she's actually really nice & chill in real life. On her season though, and last night's antics, she's quite the reality show actress! 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Amber Rose said:

I'm glad Kate came to Rhylee's rescue!

Kate, as a roommate, friend, and cast member, I agree with you, but IMO, Kate, as a department head, should not be getting herself involved in matters that don't fall in her area of supervision.  Kate, Ashton, Captain Lee should be setting themselves apart from the rest of the crew because they're part of the management of the yacht.  It 's very hard to do in such a small group of employees and with their close living conditions, but if they're at all professional they'd do it or at least try to.  That's why we don't see Capt. Lee socializing with the rest of the crew.  He's professional (or at least trying to be in some situations) but it's definitely not a trait Kate has learned in her many years of being a chief stew.  And, Ashton has a ton of learning to do yet in regards to being a manager/supervisor rather than just a crew member.  They can still be friends with the rest of the crew, party with them, etc, but there is a line between them and the crew they manage and Kate and Ash have yet to learn how to recognize when they're crossing it and learn to not do it again - if they want to truly be effective and respected in their jobs.  

Confession time, I don't like Kate, never have.  I think her pride in being a bad ass is a sign of weakness in being ineffective in her job as a supervisor and not knowing how to make changes in herself to be a true professional and be respected by others - and herself.  I think she bullies certain people she can't manage effectively/professionally.

Edited by rayndon
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, rayndon said:

Confession time, I don't like Kate, never have.  I think her pride in being a bad ass is a sign of weakness in being ineffective in her job as a supervisor and not knowing how to make changes in herself to be a true professional and be respected by others - and herself.  I think she bullies certain people she can't manage effectively/professionally.

As I've stated elsewhere, I like Kate.  But I don't think you're wrong.

• Love 1

As a third deckhand, the only words Rhylee should say are:  yes, ok, and no problem.  Would any person in a supervisory role on this thread put up with staff shouting expletives at you?  They’d be gone. Period.  However, Rhylee was brought on to cause drama.  Just like I’m sure that the crew is required to go clubbing at the end of each charter.  I sometimes feel sorry for them when I bet they’d just rather have a couple of beers and get a good sleep.

• Love 8
On 1/7/2020 at 7:36 PM, Mondrianyone said:

It's possible to bash Simone for being lousy at her job without being a "Kate fan."  People really can keep two opposing thoughts in their head at the same time.

I  can't find a thread for the 100th-episode special, but after watching it I was thinking that if BD fans had some recurring show-themed nightmares, two of them could easily involve eating a meal prepared by Rocky and getting a massage from Rocky--and they're both real life!  Run!!!!

I said something similar on another message board about  disliking both Ashton and Kate at the same time. People couldn’t understand why I couldn’t pick a side. I would rather eat food prepared by Rocky than work with Ashton.

Edited by spunky
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

That must be the most uncomfortable couch in the universe.  I've been on vacations and slept on couches and didn't have half the drama (of course I wasn't paying a huge amount of money for the privilege) but you would have thought Captain Lee was sleeping on the deck the way he was carrying on!

Maybe Captain Lee has back issues. I would find a couch pretty unbearable with my back issues unless those cushions were very firm. 

With this episode Asston finally made me #TeamRhylee.  And that is no easy feat.

Edited by laprin
  • Love 14

To me Captain Lee seemed more annoyed by not being in his own space and all of his stuff rather than the actual comfort of the couch. 
That sky lounge is a bunch of wasted space in the seasons they have been on Valor the guests have like used it only once or twice!

• Love 7

At the end of the day, as others have stated before me, this is just kinda the worse group ever assembled for a Below Deck. They all suck & there is really not anyone to "root for" so to speak. I personally dislike the Brus the most though. 

• Love 11
On 1/6/2020 at 7:17 PM, whydoievencare said:

Ashton continues to call Kate a bitch and accuses her of stirring up the situation with Rhylee - while he is currently stirring up his deck brus about both Rhylee and Kate.  What a creep.

I honestly can’t believe he still has his job let alone the fact that he is carrying on the way he is.   If he had any clue he would be laying low and not making more problems for these women and ultimately the captain and the overall morale of the boat.  He basically got off scott free for his atrocious behaviour the night he went after Kate.  He abhors women so much and if he is back next year I don’t think i can watch.  You would think if this whole issue with Ashton and Rhylee is so difficult for the captain to figure out that he would ask to see some of the footage from the camera crew....but i guess that would be too logical and just not enough drama.  

• Love 9

I was disappointed in this episode (& with WWH afterward). I was hoping they would address the issues of Smashton and the negative behaviors of the male crew. (But I don’t think the female crew are perfect, just not guilty of sexual assault...)

Lee should have been shown the Smashton clips. Kate stated to that production person that she felt unsafe. But she should have left a note for the captain, telling him why she left.

If asshat Smashton (or even Ashton) returns next season, I think I’ll check out of BD. I’d prefer all the male crew be blackballed from yachting. The female crew is another story.

I think Kate just let things build up. She hears everyone saying how much a bitch she is, how they hate her. Smashton instigated much of this. Kate, in an interview was asked why she didn’t tell the captain. She responded with a little laugh, that she thought she was having Stockholm syndrome. That might be a bit of an exaggeration but it has a germ of truth. She hears all the male crew and her two stews talking about how much of a bitch she is. Rylee is seen comforting her crying at least twice. She hasn’t trained her stews but they really aren’t willing to take direction. She (& Ashton) had no choice in who was hired. Lee even said that crew had to audition via Skype, but he didn’t. I bet that these stews (and trashy deck crew) were productions’ choice because of these negative qualities.

Regarding Kate’s “resting bitch face”: does anyone know if she’s had Botox? She doesn’t really show emotion until she’s pushed past her limits, then it’s tears, but no change in facial expression.

Those drunken outings are not for everyone. I don’t think I’ve seen Kate happy once this season during these outings. I think they should be optional. 
But most of all, they need to find deck crew with morals. Not angels, but at least respect for coworkers.

OK, now Rylee. I think that Ashton quickly learned how to push her buttons. And she responded how he wanted her to. I think she was too sympathetic to Kate, so Ashton had to find ways to undermine her. I would love have Kate keep her as a stew if Asshole gets his way to fire her. At least for 6 more days...

• Love 9
12 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Since you missed last week's episode and don't watch regularly - here's what happened - the charter group arrived-eight people - two couples and four single ladies.  When Kate was showing them their accommodations, one set of two single ladies (Molly the blonde and the female chef/model) grabbed the stateroom with the two single beds.  The other set of two single ladies (one was the lead charter guest's cousin-Jamie, and the other, Lauren (?) was a friend of the lead charter guests were shown the stateroom with one queen bed for the two ladies to share.  Jamie, who seems to be a bit of a spoiled bitch that no one else on the charter really likes, demanded that she have her own room and bathroom, so her supposed room mate, Lauren, slept in the sky lounge the first night, without complaint (sleeping on a couch with no access to a private bathroom).  The next morning, Lauren and the other girls spoke with Captain Lee about the situation, and Captian Lee and Simone (a stewardess) cleared his stuff out of the Captain's quarters, and gave Lauren the Captain's quarters for the remainder of the charter.  So, the girl who didn't bitch too much (Lauren) actually got the better side of the deal, staying in the Captain's quarters, while the one (Jamie) who was acting all spoiled, got her way as well, and came off on national TV as an entitled, spoiled, unlikeable brat. 

Captain Lee did the right thing for the one girl who paid for a luxury vacation but was not getting it, by sleeping on a couch. 

Whether or not it was a miscommunication prior to them boarding, or producer manipulation or what, it's hard to say.  Preference sheets show something about Jamie wanting her own room, but it was not discussed in too much detail on the show.

Hope that clears it up!  🙂

Thanks!

I was watching this episode and ended up tuning out because I am so over the Rhylee and deck crew drama. I hate them all! 

All new deck crew......please!  And, that dude has no right to say .....fire Rhylee.

I see...it is the other girl that disrespected the captain.

No, she did not pay for a luxury vacation.  She chartered a yacht with her friends and they knew the bed situation.

There are guest rooms and then the Captain’s room! 

Their sucky tip and entitlement .......reeks!

I see next week.....they still want to keep filming the show and will go from uppity people that charter yachts .....to folks who sleep with the help. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Is it me.......or, does Captain Sandy’s crew get better tips??

I remember many  20Ks+.

(Unless it is the vibrator doctor that tips 10ks! 🤣)

• LOL 1
On 1/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Was the French Toast slightly burned? 

Burned? Um.....yes it was burned. How could Kevin put that one piece of incinerated French toast on the platter? If I were serving that to the guests, I would have thrown that slice away before bringing the platter to the table.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Can someone remind me how to post a spoiler?

Thanks in advance!

In the area where you respond, click the icon with an eye and a slash through it, to the right of the quotation marks. A pink text box should come up that says "Spoiler" at the top left. Type your spoiler in that pink text box and you should be good to go!

Spoiler

That's all there is to it:)

Pleaser remember that anyone discussing the spoiler afterwards should also use the spoiler box so that the rest of us do not inadvertently find out the spoiler anyway. Thank you!

Edited by Jsage
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

Burned? Um.....yes it was burned. How could Kevin put that one piece of incinerated French toast on the platter? If I were serving that to the guests, I would have thrown that slice away before bringing the platter to the table.

I looked at the website of Justine Vastano, (guest who is a chef), her food looked amazing and her plating is crazy artistic and I am sure her catering is not cheap...Kevin must think all charter guests just eat cold ravioli out of a can when not on the ship and have no idea what "fancy" food is about so whatever he gives them should impress them.  I think Justine Vastano should be the next charter chef, she could easily give Kevin a run for his money.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

I would love to see Connie as Lee's bosun. I don't like Eddie; he's smarmy.

I was just thinking this!  I would love to see Connie as a bosun, and IF Ashton is back again, I would love to see him demoted (is that possible) and how he would behave/react to having a woman as his immediate superior.  Something tells me that he would not react well to this.  

It would be interesting to see any of these men have to report to a woman superior, because I feel that they all have some level of chauvinism in them.

I don't think that Rhylee and Connie would jel either, though, as I feel that Rhylee is really not a manageable employee in any situation.  Her temper is her worst enemy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jsage said:

In the area where you respond, click the icon with an eye and a slash through it, to the right of the quotation marks. A pink text box should come up that says "Spoiler" at the top left. Type your spoiler in that pink text box and you should be good to go!

Reveal spoiler

That's all there is to it:)

Pleaser remember that anyone discussing the spoiler afterwards should also use the spoiler box so that the rest of us do not inadvertently find out the spoiler anyway. Thank you!

Thanks!

I read the episode description of the show in two weeks, so it indicates whether or not Rhylee was fired in next week’s episode:

Spoiler

Rhylee is still around, so I guess - not fired.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Yeah, an all girl deck crew and all male stews. That would be fun to watch! Men doing laundry.😵

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I looked at the website of Justine Vastano, (guest who is a chef), her food looked amazing and her plating is crazy artistic and I am sure her catering is not cheap...Kevin must think all charter guests just eat cold ravioli out of a can when not on the ship and have no idea what "fancy" food is about so whatever he gives them should impress them.  I think Justine Vastano should be the next charter chef, she could easily give Kevin a run for his money.

In fairness to Justin, he's cooking for the preferences of the primaries, and they don't always have fancy tastes.  I'm sure it is the same for Justine in her business.  She'll advertise her fancy foods and elaborate plating, but if her client requests something basic, that's what she'll prepare. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, rayndon said:

I am so glad Kate is taking Rylee's side but it made me forget how much I loathe Kate.  I have always hated her, she is a bully and the way she treated Caroline was horrific. 

20 hours ago, Amber Rose said:

Those 3 are nothing but 'walking dicks'. 

Or "swinging dicks" as Captain Lee has called them!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Which one was her professional  website?

I was curious about her events, but everything I saw was crazy unprofessional.

Not much examples of food .....especially for someone marketing their own culinary business.

Her plating fails the basic rules (taught at school) for French cuisine. Every day at school you are graded on 2-5 plates.  If the plates do not meet presentation.....the chef instructors would turn you away to fix the mistakes before they tasted your food to get your grade. It is something she should know and follow.....because it is part of your professional training and what restaurant jobs require.

I think she manages her catering company, and someone else is doing most of the the cooking. 

I want her to try out for Master Chef.  

The most effortless chef I have seen on BD is Ben. 

This current chef (I always forget his name) and Leon struggle.  They are good cooks that have  a hard time putting a menu together. 

Such as,  they can cook 30  perfect dishes they have worked with throughout their careers and  loved by diners.........but, they get stuck on that. 

They have a hard time diversifying ingredients and techniques to create new dishes out of the classics.

Nobody should be calling themselves a professional chef until they can do this. This takes an average of 8 years working full-time work at many restaurants and traveling the world.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

According to Connie she has her own successful business and has moved on.  The only one other than Eddie who might come back is Nico since he seems to have spent his time locked in a bakery.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

"Burlap bag full of bobcats"....crickets! I think Capt. is trying too hard.

Reminds me of the time on WWHL, when a whole BD Med group appeared at the end of the season, and Capt. Sandy came out with an overwrought pun to demonstrate her years of experience, the gist of which was, that while her crew had been passing through the birth canal, she was navigating the Suez Canal.  After a moment's silence, Chef Adam hilariously asked, "How long have you been waiting to use that?"   🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

In fairness to Justin, he's cooking for the preferences of the primaries, and they don't always have fancy tastes.  I'm sure it is the same for Justine in her business.  She'll advertise her fancy foods and elaborate plating, but if her client requests something basic, that's what she'll prepare. 

It seemed like this group of guests decided to give Kevin some specific challenges ahead of time to test him.   Who goes to Thailand and insists on matzo ball soup?    The couple with all the dietary requirements said no dairy, but then at then end of their paragraph they said "Ooooh a little dairy in desserts is ok!".  As much as I dislike Kevin, these folks were out to torque him from the beginning for their own amusement.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, kassa said:

It appears from what Captain Lee has said that he was initially asked/told to be on the show by his boat owner who had chartered the boat to the production people for the show...

Kassa - I salute your entire post.  Very well stated!

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, terrymct said:

It seemed like this group of guests decided to give Kevin some specific challenges ahead of time to test him.   Who goes to Thailand and insists on matzo ball soup?    The couple with all the dietary requirements said no dairy, but then at then end of their paragraph they said "Ooooh a little dairy in desserts is ok!".  As much as I dislike Kevin, these folks were out to torque him from the beginning for their own amusement.

If it was anybody but Kevin I might feel sorry for him but...no...it's Kevin.  He's a tool.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Or "swinging dicks" as Captain Lee has called them!

Well, that’s implying that they have enough to swing. 

The way they act, I don’t think they do. All that bravado is to make up for it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 1/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, LotusFlower said:

I said almost exactly this same thing to Capture Lee on Twitter, in response to a tweet of his saying he can’t do anything about the sexual harassment among the crew if it’s not brought to his attention, yadda, yadda, yadda...  I told him he could be more proactive about it, similar to his “don’t embarrass yourself or the boat” set of rules.  He didn’t respond.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, LotusFlower said:

I said almost exactly this same thing to Capture Lee on Twitter, in response to a tweet of his saying he can’t do anything about the sexual harassment among the crew if it’s not brought to his attention, yadda, yadda, yadda...  I told him he could be more proactive about it, similar to his “don’t embarrass yourself or the boat” set of rules.  He didn’t respond.

I like Captain Lee but I’m very irritated that the (probably conveniently edited) footage we’ve seen that shows the truth about the brü behavior is treated like it doesn’t exist. I guess it’s that fourth wall thing but if he knows the truth will be broadcast later and the footage is top secret until then, what stops him from taking the time to do a typical HR investigation before he fires someone?  (Employment termination is my field.) What he needed to do was 

1. After hearing from Ashton, hear from Rhylee. Check.

2. Pay attention to what Rhylee said. She nodded her head in agreement when told that she might share some blame. Noted that he did not offer her any specific tips for interacting with Ashton and the other boys going forward. Instead, he later characterized her as not taking any of the blame.

3. after hearing from Ashton and Rhylee individually, he needed to tell Ashton to come prepared with specific concerns and specific examples of her behavior and what he had done to try to rectify it. He should have asked Ashton to explain what he had done to formally warn Rhylee that her job was in jeopardy, then he should have had Rhylee and Ashton meet with him to go over the specifics, item by item. That meeting should have begun with an admonition to both of them that they had to maintain decorum and respect. Based on what he learned during that meeting, he should have met individually with anyone who witnessed the behaviors involved.

4. At each of these stages, he should have warned anyone he spoke to that the footage everyone would see several months later would prove or disprove the veracity of their claims. He should have explained that, if the footage showed otherwise, they would face consequences primarily regarding their reputations and his willingness to work with him in the future.

—-

I realize that the point of the show is to get the audience interested, but I thought better of Captain Lee before this. While he states he’s not there to babysit, he still has a fairly new-to-the-position bosun who needs training, not babysitting. This was a teaching opportunity. He could’ve heard Rhylee out, modeled how he managed her personality, and told both of them how to correct the problems they were having. Example: The whole knot tying issue. Ashton had a legitimate need to ensure that his crew knows how to tie a particular knot. The footage didn’t show whether he gave Tanner and Rhylee any instruction going forward about demonstrating proficiency, so let’s assume he just dropped it once the conflict started. In my opinion he should have redirected their attention to the fact that he wanted the knots to be tied properly, and he should have told both of them that he would meet with them the next morning so they could demonstrate the ability to quickly tie the knot. If necessary, he could have asked Captain Lee to sit in on that demonstration. If he had focused on the work and the standards of performance instead of getting lost in the weeds of personality, then I’d have respect for his management. Instead, he practices testosterone fueled management. Every good manager knows that they need to adjust their management style somewhat for individual subordinates. That’s especially true in a setting like BD, where replacing an employee isn’t simple. In my opinion it was Captain Lee’s job to make sure his department heads weren’t making his job harder.

Edited by AUJulia
Edited to add thoughts about teaching subordinates.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16