Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Esme should be afraid of Ava.

Esme should be (legitimately) afraid of Sonny.  Same with Nelle -- she wasn't scared of big, bad mobster, either.  Two young girls walk all over Sonny.

• Love 1
(edited)

So, if Esme is so rich, why can't she afford rent/ hotel on her own? She keeps referencing the pittance she gets from her trust fund, but it didn't seem to be an issue when Spencer first came to town and she was living apart from him for several weeks until the night of that graduation party at Windermere. 

There are so many holes in her story. How did she live while infiltrating GH to torch Ava's car? 

And if there is a trust, who's doling out the money and why don't they check in on Esme who ( again) had been in PC for about a year now. 

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

So, if Esme is so rich, why can't she afford rent/ hotel on her own? She keeps referencing the pittance she gets from her trust fund, but it didn't seem to be an issue when Spencer first came to town and she was living apart from him for several weeks until the night of that graduation party at Windermere. 

There are so many holes in her story. How did she live while infiltrating GH to torch Ava's car? 

And if there is a trust, who's doling out the money and why don't they check in on Esme who ( again) had been in PC for about a year now. 

Maybe daddy Ryan was secretly giving her money and perhaps has someone doing it while he's pretending to be locked-in

• Useful 1
14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Spencer needs Esme there to prove Trina innocent. But also she's playing on his kindness, saying that she has no one else but him. And she was an emotional support to him in boaring school and helped him haunt Ava so maybe he feels he owes her somewhat.

This is sort of what is bothering me with everyone screaming at Spencer to just dump Esme like it's just that simple to quit someone in your life. it takes so much effort to come to that conclusion and you can't walk it back. Yeah that Esme is the evul etc, but she still meant something to Spencer once upon a time. (not to mention Joss isn't really inspiring confidence and loyalty).

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Joss isn't really inspiring confidence and loyalty.

Absolutely!

She's ready to tear Cam a new one for not cutting Spencer dead. She is so very much her mother's daughter. 

• Love 6

I like the actress who plays Brooklyn and think she does a good job. However, I do wish the makeup folks would tone down all of that black eye makeup. It’s so harsh and makes her look older than she is.

• Love 6

Did they just spend a whole episode on The Search for Hatman, Sasha's pills, sleazy Linc and even more of the Sonny/Michael fight? Zzzzzz  And for heaven's sake, Brook Lynn, take that contract to a good entertainment lawyer. I'm sure the media moguls Michael and Drew have one on file.

Curtis to Portia: I need to leave. Portia replies: "Let me put aside that Trina is in big trouble and I really need your emotional support now, and I will concentrate entirely on you."  Portia is giving Willow a run for her money on subjugating herself for her man.

Amanda Setton needs to learn how to throw a fake punch.

49 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

🤪😝 at the bolded!

We all need help with that.🤣

38 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Yeah that Esme is the evul etc, but she still meant something to Spencer once upon a time. (not to mention Joss isn't really inspiring confidence and loyalty).

It is to Spencer's credit that he doesn't just dump here. (And there's not much to his credit.)

18 hours ago, Hater said:

The scenes felt contrived. They haven’t had a scene since NB was in the role.  Probably 2017. 

It made it look like Sam was just using Spencer to help her friend Carly. Because she's sure not doing it to help Spencer.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Honestly great recap!!

i will maintain, that I was for Sasha's baby dying it was a good story beat but holy crap  Sasha sucks.  she sucks at lying, she sucks at being high, she sucks at being sad., she sucks at being a buisness person.

Gladys was okay

I don't watch Soaps to see men drool over cars. especially Sonny and Brando. I also don't give a crap that Brando wants Sonny to make up with MIchael. 

Molly and TJ were boring. 

Portia and Curtis are boring. 

Jordan is boring. 

BORING.

so i will say. I kind of wish they did this sex video thing different. like Esme recording it but then after the Laura conversation, NOT doing it but someone (like the guy who hit on joss after it came out) found Esme's video and posted it. that would have been different because people would be acussing Trina [because she was high], Joss would be blaming Emse, and Esme would be trying to figure out who actually posted it (while trying to hide the fact that she DID record them). (and then fall in love with Cam). but then it would also solidify the whole. you can't just quit people because your friends tell you too. like I said Ill sit alone at the table on this. Trina has every right to not want to be friends with Spencer if that's what she choses, but it just turns my stomach that she (and Joss) predicate their friendship with whom Spencer has in his life. Again - since the show is so obvious, and Esme is the evul, it's so they are set up for I Told You Sos (just like Shawn, Sam and Harmony) but in reality that should be squashed down. so fast. And it's a slippery slope and we've seen it with Cam and Joss. in regards to Jason and it's gross. 

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Curtis to Portia: I need to leave. Portia replies: "Let me put aside that Trina is in big trouble and I really need your emotional support now, and I will concentrate entirely on you."  Portia is giving Willow a run for her money on subjugating herself for her man.

well i don't think that's really fair. I think they both took turns supporting each other. She had her turn. he had his turn - she had her turn. he left. She said she'll be there for him, and Curtis said no matter what he'll be back to support her. it was very give and take there (to me). i mean I also don't know, I was half way falling asleep because I was so bored, so I could be wrong. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I like the actress who plays Brooklyn and think she does a good job. However, I do wish the makeup folks would tone down all of that black eye makeup. It’s so harsh and makes her look older than she is.

I don’t mind the makeup; I think it suits her, although it’s much more than I would choose for myself. I think minimal makeup looks best on nearly everyone, but she pulls it off.

I agree that she’s doing a great job. I thought her facial expressions yesterday while Chase was singing were great— such a mix of emotions playing out without a word. (It also gave me something to distract from the boring singing and the even more boring song. Chase actor has a decent voice, but that marshmallow tune was Millow-worthy.)

Brook Lynn has become my second favorite character, after Ava. Which says a lot about AS, considering how I loathed her in her first two incarnations.

• Love 6

Like I read somewhere else — they were able to do a Nurses Ball thing without actually doing the Nurses Ball.

I can’t take the singing on this show, though, because most of them aren’t good and I just get secondhand embarrassment watching that stuff.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

This is sort of what is bothering me with everyone screaming at Spencer to just dump Esme like it's just that simple to quit someone in your life. it takes so much effort to come to that conclusion and you can't walk it back. Yeah that Esme is the evul etc, but she still meant something to Spencer once upon a time. (not to mention Joss isn't really inspiring confidence and loyalty).

Again, I don't have the hatred that others have for Spencer. It is strange, but in a lot of ways, he has the most relatable arc. He had to do time in prison (ok, not a lot of people do that), he is now busing tables at a diner. He rejects people that have helped him in the past. He has been failed by people that were supposed to take care of him, making him vulnerable to someone like Esme.  He reminds me of a lot of kids trying to find their way in their late teens, like Maxie what went through in  the late aughts, early 10s. I wish he saw the relationship between him and Esme start. We boil down psychopaths & narcissists to be totally evil, but the most common thing is how good they are at becoming exactly what you want. I wouldn't mind having Esme love bomb Spencer to keep him on the hook. Like the poor AJ, I root for him to figure it out. I think he would be a better fit for being a realtor than Lucy. Luckily, he hasn't knocked up any girl yet, so no one has an interest in ruining his life.

• Love 3

I did the dishes and research during the episode. And I came this close to going to the gym, which is unforgiveable.

Why has this show gone and dug up Linc? Nobody needs more sleaze in their lives. Those scenes weren't great and on all parts. They were boring and why hasn't BL gotten a restraining order against this douche? More importantly, why is this thing on my screen?

Why are all the Brooklyn restaurants dark looking. Blink and you might be in the Tan-O. Molly and TJ are devoid of chemistry. Can we shake this life partnership up a bit or something?

Mike sure knew how to do a whole lot of things. He could fix cars too. Next Brando will tells us that Mike owned a hair salon and invented the Aniston hair cut. 

I thought the best scenes of the day were Sasha explaining why she was taking the pills. Say what you want about Gladys and I've said plenty, but she is completely ride or die, but I can't believe (actually I can) that she leveraged this whole situation into living with Sasha and Brando. Lady, your son is 40 years old. I think he wants his own place with his new wife.

Portia/Curtis needs to stop. Portia is the one who needs the support right now, not Curtis. Also, she was coming hard defending Aunt Stella with her speech about how sometimes the right time to tell a secret just passes you by. I see you girl. Then Jordan doubles down. I thought the Jordan actress would settle down, but I don't find her that good. She is very robotic in her delivery. There's no nuance or emotion. And they really should've gone with someone a little older than that.

• Love 5

I totally agree with the comments about NuJordan. I don’t find her believable at all in this role. She is very robotic in every scene and has no personality at all. Please find someone who can really inhabit this important role in GC>

• Love 7

I cannot with Chase and Brooklyn anymore. Is the delay because the actress doesn’t want to do a bedroom scene? She hid so long behind the boxy blazers, I’m starting to wonder. Not that the bedroom scenes are all that anymore.

Where is the sexy, show? 

I agree that most of today was quite boring, but to my surprise, I really enjoyed the Sasha/Gladys scenes. I will not enjoy them living together scenes though. I was hoping Gladys would just walk Sasha to an NA meeting… Oh well.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I cannot with Chase and Brooklyn anymore. Is the delay because the actress doesn’t want to do a bedroom scene? She hid so long behind the boxy blazers, I’m starting to wonder. Not that the bedroom scenes are all that anymore.

the delay is that every storyline is slow like molasses.

and this show sucks at the sexy. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I totally get it. Every time there seems to be progress forward, they do something like what they did today. 

People become uninterested when things like this keep happening, show. It's not fun. I enjoyed BL/Chase when they were living together raising Bailey. I find they've lost whatever luster they had with the stalling and the general high school weirdness behavior.

• Love 6

The Portia actress is doing a great job with this story.  One minute she’s going all mama bear on Spencer and acing all confident, and the next she’s falling apart privately. Very true to life mom moments.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Because Chase and Brook Lynn were moving TOO fast so we needed something to slow them down.  

And little wimmen need the menfolk to save them.

• Love 1

Glad I'm not the only one who was peeved by them putting all the boring SLs in one episode today, topped off by the cherry of Hatman walking in looking all constipated.

The thing that doesn't make sense about BLQ and Chase is that in order for obstacles thrown in a couple's path to be compelling, they have to -- you know? Be a couple.

• Love 8

I don't think I had the chance to say this yesterday, but when Esme and Ava were arguing I got a sick feeling in my stomach. Too often, whenever GH has women of different generations fight -- it means they're secretly mother/daughter!

Then I remembered that Ryan said Esme's mother was one you should never turn your back on, and of course Ava stabbed him once when he made that mistake. I know they showed the clip of Felicia, but.... I'm a-scared.

• Useful 1
39 minutes ago, ciarra said:

And little wimmen need the menfolk to save them.

and there is nothing wrong with that. well in my opinion anyway. sometimes women do need a guy to rescue them, and sometimes the guy needs the girl to rescue them. and what i saw today was Chase (rightfully) being pissed off at someone literally sexually harassassing someone he cares about in front of him, and then told BLQ that she wasn't alone when she said she could take care of herself. that's great. 

but then admittedly. again. I really don't mind that kind of stuff. at all as much as it tends to bother a lot of y'all. 

Just now, Auntie Velvet said:

I don't think I had the chance to say this yesterday, but when Esme and Ava were arguing I got a sick feeling in my stomach. Too often, whenever GH has women of different generations fight -- it means they're secretly mother/daughter!

Then I remembered that Ryan said Esme's mother was one you should never turn your back on, and of course Ava stabbed him once when he made that mistake. I know they showed the clip of Felicia, but.... I'm a-scared.

someone on twitter was saying what would really be cool if Ava was Esme's aunt, and that her mother was Olivia Jerome. Which would be spiffy. 

bu i'll be dead honest. I'd rather Ava be Esme's mother than Felicia every day and twice on sunday if the choice were between the two of them. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Daisy said:

Trina has every right to not want to be friends with Spencer if that's what she choses, but it just turns my stomach that she (and Joss) predicate their friendship with whom Spencer has in his life. Again - since the show is so obvious, and Esme is the evul, it's so they are set up for I Told You Sos (just like Shawn, Sam and Harmony) but in reality that should be squashed down. so fast. And it's a slippery slope and we've seen it with Cam and Joss. in regards to Jason and it's gross. 

I won’t defend Joss, though I think if she were written and especially portrayed in a less brattish, always wins way it would be easier to see her side. But when it comes to Trina there is also the fact that she is the girl Spencer almost kissed multiple times. Who he led on as though he were single in the beginning. It’s not spoken but a lot of Trina’s hurt has to be coming from the fact that he still won’t dump his girlfriend even though he clearly has feelings for her. 

But I so wish the story was less Esme Is Evil. They’ve got a gift with Avery Pohl and I’m sure they’ll try to redeem her later but I would much prefer she were more of a gray, messed up character with a heart (who Cam could fall for). 

29 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I so much prefer Ava to Felicia. It’s built in tension since Trina is like a daughter to her. 

• Love 6
On 5/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was. But Brock's abusiveness did come out of nowhere, considering how they got together. I remember being pissed about it at the time, but I guess either Groh or the show, were done with him.

But Elizabeth and her rapist were never in a relationship, so I didn't even reference that. But yes, her rape was BRUTAL and Becky did such an amazing job.

IIRC DL had an undiagnosed brain tumor when Ginny Blake killed him.  Which was determined to be responsible for his erratic and violent behavior.

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

I think they both took turns supporting each other. She had her turn. he had his turn - she had her turn. he left. She said she'll be there for him, and Curtis said no matter what he'll be back to support her. it was very give and take there (to me).

That's what it seemed like on the surface but underneath, the best Curtis did was say that he would stay and Portia turned that down. The rest of the conversation was Curtis talking about Stella, his mother, Hatman, everything he was disappointed in. I was hoping that he would actually do something proactive, like hire a lawyer for Trina or use his research skills to find other cases like hers where the person didn't get kicked out unless found legally guilty.  But nada.

Curtis talks a good game ("I had to find out about my father to protect you and Trina and Stella) but doesn't actually do much to help. Most of the support flows from Portia to Curtis.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

how does Linc’s arrival prevent them from dating?

They were going to go off together for some "alone time", then BL was upset about losing the rights to her songs and stalked off to find a lawyer.  I guess Linc was a mood-killer?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, racked said:

I won’t defend Joss, though I think if she were written and especially portrayed in a less brattish, always wins way it would be easier to see her side. But when it comes to Trina there is also the fact that she is the girl Spencer almost kissed multiple times. Who he led on as though he were single in the beginning. It’s not spoken but a lot of Trina’s hurt has to be coming from the fact that he still won’t dump his girlfriend even though he clearly has feelings for her. 

But I so wish the story was less Esme Is Evil. They’ve got a gift with Avery Pohl and I’m sure they’ll try to redeem her later but I would much prefer she were more of a gray, messed up character with a heart (who Cam could fall for). 

I so much prefer Ava to Felicia. It’s built in tension since Trina is like a daughter to her. 

When Joss bitches at Cameron, she’s shrill and she won’t shut up.  From a male perspective that’s VERY annoying.  Or as a friend of mines calls it ‘boner kryptonite’.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

Chase singing was AWKward!  It’s like when people sing Happy Birthday.  Don’t stare at me and sing, just give me my cake already!  But for real, that intense way he was singing at her was too much.  Anyone not familiar with GH could have turned it on and that point and assumed Chase was a weirdo stalker.

Hmmm I’d rather Esme be Flea’s child over Ava’s, just so Mac could have more screen time 🥰

• Love 3

The Sonny/Brando "let's bond over fixing a car" scenes were boring and pointless, but MB's facial expression when Sasha said Gladys was moving in with her and Brando was hilarious.

Literally all I've got from yesterday.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ciarra said:

They were going to go off together for some "alone time", then BL was upset about losing the rights to her songs and stalked off to find a lawyer.  I guess Linc was a mood-killer?

Thanks! I haven’t watched at all this week but that’s lame. That’s just GH’s way of dragging out this pairing. It’s beyond ridiculous at this point!! Brook Lynn can’t get a lawyer AND date Chase? I’m not a ChaLynn fan but if I was, I’d probably hop off their train at this point. It shouldn’t take this long for two adults to get together! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Suicidy said:

When Joss bitches at Cameron, she’s shrill and she won’t shut up.  From a male perspective that’s VERY annoying.  Or as a friend of mines calls it ‘boner kryptonite’.

Eden has definitely picked up some bad habits. It’s a shame because I’m in the minority (I think) that sees potential in her. But the other teen actors bring more depth and likability to their characters and she doesn’t have to because the show has already made her the leading lady. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jma14 said:

Eden has definitely picked up some bad habits. It’s a shame because I’m in the minority (I think) that sees potential in her. But the other teen actors bring more depth and likability to their characters and she doesn’t have to because the show has already made her the leading lady. 

I think she was the center of the teen group from 2017-2019 but I don’t think she is anymore. I think they threw her a bone with the sex tape SL but she’s gotten nowhere near the focus or big scenes than I expected. I think they moved on to Spencer as the lead of that age group with Esme as #2. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

While I still don’t see her winning any Emmys, Sofia Mattson’s acting has improved tremendously since her early days.

And that concludes my Say Nice Things About Sasha post for the year. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Jma14 said:

It’s a shame because I’m in the minority (I think) that sees potential in her.

And right you are!

All kidding aside, I don't think there's been all that much progress in her acting. There's no nuance or subtlety. I'd like to think that this will change, but I don't see it happened. But give her a scene where she has to bitch someone out and you know she will exceed expectations. Joss is like a goddamn Doberman on the attack.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

But give her a scene where she has to bitch someone out and you know she will exceed expectations. Joss is like a goddamn Doberman on the attack.  

She is very Laura Wright when she is angry (and i say this as a compliment). she needs to learn how to channel that into the "every day"ness of when she is on the show. 

• Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, Desperado said:

Where is the sexy, show? 

I can't imagine the actress's reluctance (if indeed she is) is the reason for concocting a million excuses (and hiring dayplayers) to stop two hot young adults from sealing the deal. Surely a simpler solution would be to have them kiss and then fade to black - next morning she can already be in a dressing gown.

Or, here's a novel thought - why not shoot the love scene from HER perspective? Can't imagine why they don't do that already, given the audience for soaps is primarily women (and gay men). I don't think Josh Swickard has any compunctions stripping down to his skivvies (he's already appeared in them on this show before). I personally would prefer a sex scene seen through the female gaze to all the ones that came before, where (inexplicably - see above about target audience) the woman's nudity is the focus.

Edited by Aymery
  • Love 5

Bobbie, Carly - those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. At all. lmao though. "Honey that ship hasn't even left the dock." is so true. Also these two. shut up. shut up hard.  Would you be all "It's all vetted and true. so it's okay." if someone did it to you. I'm tired of this crap.  

Helloooo Chase's Daddy. Mr. Silver Fox. Mhmhmhmhm. 

TJ was great. 
Liz looks like she needs to sleep for a month.

I can't even with the Sonny propping. (the writing may be making him more on his side and liking him but yeah dude not everything is forgiven). okay but he he heh. Michael's temper tantrum pushed Sonny to support Nina. I'm all. for. it.

• Love 7

Finn" "Why does Elizabeth trust that it's a ghost more than a living person?"  Me: because if it's a toss up between the ghost of a man who loved me or a living stalker, I'd go with the ghost. It's not a ghost but Finn is really blowing this relationship. You're losing her because you're handling it badly.

Nice, realistic writing that Kevin showed Liz a bit of support and she was ready move from her fixed position.

Also show, move this story along. It's past it's Best Before date.

Stella encouraging Ephiany to be a doctor -- I'd rather Vernee gave the speech she had on Bob 💓s  Abishola where she explained how after finishing medical school, she couldn't get a jot and had to become a nurse.

Carly: "I tried hard to save our marriage."  Me: 😖 Also, pants on fire.

Carly and Bobbie dissing Nina while invading her privacy -- fingers in ears lalalalala.

Portia: "And the injustice my daughter is going through."   If it weren't for Epiphany's story (which I hate), today would be Victim Hospital.

I really like TJ/Marshall. There aren't enough good relationships on this show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2