Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Today on Paraphrase Hospital:

Curtis:  Mr Hat, you're freaking out Auntie Stella who thought you were dead this whole time.

Expression on both Mr Hat and Aunt Stella's faces:  Ummmmm.........

Me:  Methinks Stella knew all along that Mr Hat was alive.

Mr Hat:  Curtis if you only knew why I stayed away, it was to protect you 

Curtis:  From what

Mr Hat:  Yeah, this storyline hasn't dragged on long enough for me to reveal that yet.  I really don't understand why you're so mad at me for not telling you anything.  Like, get over it already.  

MIchael:  Dear members of the parole board, Brad is the evilest of evils. He eats puppies for lunch and kittens for dinner.  He done did betray my mob family.  I have been impacted for 89 years even when I was shoving my tongue down my dying best friend's wife's throat, I was totally thinking about Jeremiah, ugh Jebediah, ugh I mean Jonah.  

Willow:  You are the bestest bestest in the world of besties

Carly: <smug face>  Yep, I am.  You're ok, for now.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Hmmm. Willow are you sure that Carly and Sonny always have Wiley's best interests at heart? What if those interests don't align with C & S's? Like when Wiley wants to visit with his other grandma, Nina? 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I’m so mad that the writers are killing Sasha and Brando’s baby boy! Why? There’s absolutely no need for this to happen. Can’t we have one happy family with a newborn?! I’m so sick of this nonsense. 

I would say sure but with a couple who have been together for a while, not a couple who had a few flirty scenes and then only got pregnant because of the actress.

I get the general concept bumming people out but another random kid has no dramatic value. They could have had her have the baby and then sent them away I suppose.

I was happy to see both Franco and Jason die, but Liz being sad about it makes me sad too. And her talking about the impact Franco had on her sons just makes it all the more unreasonable that Lucky still wouldn’t show up to make sure they’re okay. 

Michael deserves something very bad happening to him. 

• Love 9

Sonny to Avery and Donna:  It's not your choice that I wasn't here last Christmas.  Avery asks whose choice it was. Sonny changes the subject because it was his, the dumbass.

Despite being unnecessary to the long term arcs of the show, I think that they're going a good job writing the Liam story as as the actors doing it.  I thought that Sasha's reaction of total denial that she can't fix things to be very realistic.

Why does Michael get a podium to make a Hate Brad speech? He always thinks that he's in a podium in his own mind but I've never seen a podium in a parole hearing before. And what a nasty, vindictive twerp.  Of course Willow asks him if he's okay. She's such a Stepford mob wife,just the way Michael and Carly lik it.

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

he's still vague and Curtis has no time for it.

Nor do I. I know that secrets are the lifeblood of soaps but this is ridiculous. Is everyone in this story stupid?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, racked said:

Michael deserves something very bad happening to him. 

Brad got parole, so at least that's something. I'm sure he'll tell Brad he can't go anywhere in PC where he might run into Wiley, and Brad will take it even as he should laugh in Michael's face. Maybe Brad and Nina can team up and irritate the Corinthii by existing.

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

he's still vague and Curtis has no time for it.

Nor do I. I know that secrets are the lifeblood of soaps but this is ridiculous. Is everyone in this story stupid?

I know. A secret on a soap works when at least one other person knows it. We have no idea what Hat Man is up to, and it's ridiculous that he goes on and on about how he can't say anything. And I hate that Curtis is somehow the unreasonable one here for wanting to know. Why show up in the first place? You know people will have questions. Gah, it's so dumb.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

This show gets off on ruining the holidays. See Georgie's strangulation death, ALSO around Christmastime. (Hard to believe that happened 14 years ago now!)

Can’t David Hayward show up and administer the same thing he did to bring everyone back from the dead?  I’m sure it can regenerate brain tissue.  Is Vincent Irizarry available?  

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

the thing is if you can't say anything, and you know you can't say anything why did you appear?  to vex everyone? at least come w/a good lie you can tell, dumbass. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Blackie said:

Peter will prob get Liam's heart and since it is a Corinthi heart it is the biggest most wonderful pure heart that ever beated and it can transform Peter into the most glorious, pure, decent  man that ever lived

Or Peter can laugh maniacally and feast on the infant’s blood.  The writing for Peter is almost reduced to that level already.

• Love 2

Surely we are closing in on the big "who killed Peter?" ending, what with  half the cast hanging outside his cubicle loudly expressing how he should die and/or having to be talked out of actually killing him.

I hope it turns out that Ms. Woo purposefully did not give him a lethal dose just in case Sonny didn't come through, but since he did, she has someone slip in to finish the deal. I hate to think of her also being a totally incompetent mobster.  

As of today, I have to FF Hatman, cuz my doctor said I have to cut down on stress, so bye for now Curtis. Call me when your storyline is sexy again! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Not that it was a surprise, but how ridiculous that there was only a glancing mention of Lucas (who?) at the parole hearing, never mind him having been Brad's husband, having also been a victim of his lies, etc.  But no, can't steal any of the pain spotlight away from Michael and Willow. #eyeroll 

And aw, Britt wrote a letter of support!  Though how much weight a letter of support from her would carry given she was also relatively recently incarcerated is a question mark.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

In real life, a high percentage of married couples break up upon the death of a child ( I read one study where it was 50%) so it could be interesting where this story goes. At the worst, it's better than Carly yelling at Nina, Michael &Willow offended by the idea of Chase sleeping with Brook Lynn or everyone endlessly praising Jason. .

Poor Chase, one of the hottest men on the show, hasn't had sex since he faked kissing Sasha. Which must be over 2 years ago. ☹

With all the ‘love in the afternoon’, no one is getting laid.  Not the attractive colleges age teens, the attractive twenty and thirty something singles, and barely the married couples.  And of all people a guy who looks like Chase, and who is also a cop, should be getting laid right and left.

I think the only people going at it regularly are Scotty and Liesl.  Good for them at least.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, seasons said:

Stupid, annoying Maxie at it again, spewing out death wishes and suggestions while the officer is right behind them guarding Peter's room.

Although it is a PCPD officer, so meh.

Also, shut up Michael. And wash that mop of overgrown, overprocessed lady hair.

I’m sure when that cop reports in to Carly (they appear to work for her) she will just tell him to disregard it, and once again rant and rave about justice for Jaysus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think the whole point of the poison was so that Peter can have a long, slow, agonizing death.

Except that this dumbass is hooked on a ventilator. They should have given him the same toxin he gave Chase. Except that Peter can't receive any treatment because for Chase they had to use his father's DNA for the formula and well Faison is 6 feet under.

The toxin should render PETER brain dead.  If any character should become a vegetable, it’s him.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Suicidy said:

With all the ‘love in the afternoon’, no one is getting laid.  Not the attractive colleges age teens, the attractive twenty and thirty something singles, and barely the married couples.  And of all people a guy who looks like Chase, and who is also a cop, should be getting laid right and left.

If the actors don't feel safe doing love scenes with all that's going on, that's their prerogative.

12 hours ago, Blackie said:

So is Stella going to turn out to be Curtis's mother and then Curtis is Trina's father and then we finally find that long lost relative of Stella in PC? Is that where this is going?

That would be Phyllis, she of the late Tan-o. 

4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If the actors don't feel safe doing love scenes with all that's going on, that's their prerogative.

But it wasn’t much different before.  COVID has little to do with it.  I don’t k ow if the other surviving soaps are this timid about sex, but GH is practically frigid on the subject.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Harmony233 said:

Hoe long before Michael and  willow make Liam's death about them.You know its coming.

Well, Willow's son did die, so they have some residual trauma about that, as we heard during the probation hearing. I'm sure whatever pain Brando and Sasha feel will not be as great as that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Brad got parole, so at least that's something. I'm sure he'll tell Brad he can't go anywhere in PC where he might run into Wiley, and Brad will take it even as he should laugh in Michael's face.

Michael in Brad's face in the preview blowing his hot air with "you don't get a second chance from me" was eyerolling.  I really do wish Brad would say "I want nothing to do with you or your family" but you know that greasehead thinks EVERYONE wants to be connected to the Corinthii, so of course Brad must be lying.

I did laugh today when Michael thought his statement was so great that they'd probably not only not give Brad parole, but sentence him to death. 

Sonny and Carly want to give the girls a family Christmas...so they send them in the kitchen to make cookies with the staff.  Fa la la la la, la la la la.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Michael should be slapped for his statement. His father is a mobster, his mother, St.Jason but he's going to say Brad needs to be in jail 

Marshall just needs to spit it out. Stella obviously knows the truth. Someone just answer with the truth. 

Sasha and Brando get told their son is brain dead and their plan is being him home with the ventilator for years? Good for Britt giving them the facts. 

Finn and Elizabeth were great.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Suicidy said:

But it wasn’t much different before.  COVID has little to do with it.  I don’t k ow if the other surviving soaps are this timid about sex, but GH is practically frigid on the subject.

I've been watching ATWT episodes on You Tube and boy have things changed on soaps in the past 20+ years.   Back in the 90s/early 2000s, characters were sleeping around and changing partners at the drop of a hat.   And if the 17/18 yr. olds weren't talking about it, they were doing it.   

• Love 1

With Liam on his way to being a tock, this would be a good time for Willow to revisit the death of her son and do all the grief processing that she never did before.

And then she can see her relationship for what it is, a desperate need to possess a child. and a tie to the man who awarded her one. So never going to happen.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, sas616 said:

I've been watching ATWT episodes on You Tube and boy have things changed on soaps in the past 20+ years.   Back in the 90s/early 2000s, characters were sleeping around and changing partners at the drop of a hat.   And if the 17/18 yr. olds weren't talking about it, they were doing it.   

Not sure why soaps are so tame now.Heck even the teens on GH used to have sex.I mean Robin was a wilder teen than this bunch.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Sasha and Brando get told their son is brain dead and their plan is being him home with the ventilator for years? Good for Britt giving them the facts. 

Britt has been excellent with Brando and Sasha.  She was able to give them the cold hard facts about Liam's condition and is allowing them time to come to terms with the decisions they will need to make for their child.  Britt describing sending Liam to a long term care facility, in a vegetated state, being kept alive by machines, having infections, seizures and bed sores had me in tears.  

• Love 7

Everybody has been doing well in the Liam is going to be a tock storyline.  The issue is I don't care about Brando and I don't care about Sasha and I really don't care about the dark path this will likely lead them down.  Yawn.  I never root for dead babies, especially at Christmas but, you know, if you are so inclined to write one give me higher stakes than this one.  

• Love 1

The writers must have a cut and paste script. Insert dead baby here. Insert baby switch here.

Insert Jason saves the day.  

The Nixon falls story was stupid. Peter rising from the dead in the freezer was stupid.

• Love 6

Self righteous Michael has always been obnoxious but at least he used to be all about forgiveness. The last several months he has been written as being all about revenge, which makes me wonder if the writers plan to have him take over for Sonny. Now if Mrs. Wu brings Brad into the Wu family business and Michael and Brad go head to head as competing gangsters that could be really fun (in a ridiculous kind of way). What I would really like to see is Michael get on his high horse and Brad just pulls out a gun and shots him, a la Indiana Jones. 

• Love 12

Will Michael's head explode - Brad is out on parole (even after Michael's awesome (sarcasm) statement) and then Nina should never see jail time.

It's rich hearing him say "no second chances" after everything he has done.  Can Johnny Z come back and get in Michael's face for killing Claudia?

• Love 13
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

With Liam on his way to being a tock, this would be a good time for Willow to revisit the death of her son and do all the grief processing that she never did before.

And then she can see her relationship for what it is, a desperate need to possess a child. and a tie to the man who awarded her one. So never going to happen.

It won't, because that would be admitting that Willow really isn't that hot for her greaseball and that she just wants to be a mom. 

I think her anger toward Brooklyn is linked directly to that. She was perfectly fine with BL sharing a baby with Valentin. But now that Chase has entered the picture and is Bailey's father, the claws have come out.

I think her brain is going to go into full meltdown over this. The fuck do you care what BL did as long as Chase is fine with the situation? Also, it's none of your goddamn business. You gave up the high ground when you were lying and sneaking around behind Chase's back to bang Michael.

Stuff it with the faux concern.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

It won't, because that would be admitting that Willow really isn't that hot for her greaseball and that she just wants to be a mom. 

I think her anger toward Brooklyn is linked directly to that. She was perfectly fine with BL sharing a baby with Valentin. But now that Chase has entered the picture and is Bailey's father, the claws have come out.

I think her brain is going to go into full meltdown over this. The fuck do you care what BL did as long as Chase is fine with the situation? Also, it's none of your goddamn business. You gave up the high ground when you were lying and sneaking around behind Chase's back to bang Michael.

Stuff it with the faux concern.

This has the ability to be a fantastic storyline that I don't really remember seeing many, if any, other shows doing. She struggled with her decision to place her child for adoption and then, just as she was starting to get to acceptance, she learns her child actually died at birth and she was bonding with a different baby. Rather than process all those new negative emotions, she latched onto the baby she was bonding with as well as the man connected to that child. This led to her giving up the man she actually had true emotions for. Now, as time has passed, she is coming out of her emotional fog and learning of the decisions she made while not fully in her right mind and how life went on without her. It could be so great. But, it would result in a Corinthos not getting his way and there's no way we can have that.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

This has the ability to be a fantastic storyline that I don't really remember seeing many, if any, other shows doing. She struggled with her decision to place her child for adoption and then, just as she was starting to get to acceptance, she learns her child actually died at birth and she was bonding with a different baby. Rather than process all those new negative emotions, she latched onto the baby she was bonding with as well as the man connected to that child. This led to her giving up the man she actually had true emotions for. Now, as time has passed, she is coming out of her emotional fog and learning of the decisions she made while not fully in her right mind and how life went on without her. It could be so great. But, it would result in a Corinthos not getting his way and there's no way we can have that.

Willow hasn't had the chance to process a lot of things, like her sexual assault by Shiloh that resulted in her pregnancy.

She literally went from one cult to the other. I don't know if the writers know how Michael is coming off with Willow, but I find him controlling and she just folds like a house of cards every time. She'll disagree with him, then fall in line rapidly. 

Willow is a basket case. The girl needs help and a slap across the face to wake her.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Willow hasn't had the chance to process a lot of things, like her sexual assault by Shiloh that resulted in her pregnancy.

She started to do a tiny bit of work when she was with Chase, but of course Michael is the real healing she needed. Ugh.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Everybody has been doing well in the Liam is going to be a tock storyline.  The issue is I don't care about Brando and I don't care about Sasha and I really don't care about the dark path this will likely lead them down. 

This, for some reason, made me think of that kinda bananas story on "All My Children", that thankfully got curtailed by the cancellation, that had Madison dealing with losing her newborn baby by, like, wearing harsher makeup and lots of black leather?  It was weird.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Britt has been excellent with Brando and Sasha.  She was able to give them the cold hard facts about Liam's condition and is allowing them time to come to terms with the decisions they will need to make for their child.  Britt describing sending Liam to a long term care facility, in a vegetated state, being kept alive by machines, having infections, seizures and bed sores had me in tears.  

Me too. Seeing those little socked feet sticking out just really hit me hard. I have to say everyone involved in this story has been really good. Sasha and Brando are knocking it out of the park, but even the annoying ones like Sonny and Carly have been tolerable in the context of this story.  Britt has a very good bedside manner. She’s compassionate yet realistic. 

I am trying to give Mr. Hat a chance since I like Curtis and I want him to have more screen time but the way Hat pretty much talks in riddles is annoying as all hell. I’m so over him.

I still don’t care about Peter and I will never believe he’s actually dead. He just keeps surviving, like a fungus.

• Love 6

Today's Notes

Steamy Chase! (and Finn is there too). Chase is still ticked that he's suspended. Finn is dreaming about his kiss with Liz. Finn is all now you can spend time with BLQ and Baileylou. Chase is like. yeah. Finn goes why do you hold your feelings back about your kid? Chase evades, and now they talk about Liz. Finn is like i don't know what Liz feels and Chase is like. I am not letting you do this again. Finn goes i need to take things slow because Violet is becoming attached to Elizabeth. Chase says Finn deserves to be happy.

Portia is whinging that she can't yoga, but asks Terry to teach them yoga. Liz  too is dreaming about her kiss with Finn. then she announces she kissed Finn. girls squeal. liz goes she still loves Franco so should she chase Finn if she has those feelings for Franco. she is confused. Portia goes take it slow. Liz goes no one knew what to say after they kissed. Well yah liz. you ran away. 

Millowtonin is all omg Brad got paroled. Willow was convinced that Brad would be in jail after hearing Michael's swoony speech.  Michael is like. Brad better NOT come near wiley. (question: WHY DO YOU THINK HE'D DO THATm YOU MORON). Port Charles has a lot of outdoor fairs. Olivia brings BLQ and Willow triggers Righteous Bitch Face. BLQ is like did you buy  for Monica, she's hard to shop for. Ms Passive Aggressive goes "We bought for Monica." BLQ goes what about Leo. Ms PA goes "Well you can try online shops." Olivia is like what's up, and Willow goes well I have to process what BLQ did to Valentin and Chase (WHY? WHY do YOU HAVE to process anything. it doesn't impact you. then she tosses out and the family and bitch. the Q's aren't your family). Olivia points out that she didn't forgive BLQ either (forgive her for what? this also didn't IMPACT YOU, OLIVIA). BLQ is like fine. whatever let's get it all out. Willow triggers Righteous Bitch Face and goes I SAID everything i needed to say. BLQ is like. listen you have no room to talk, because YOU CHEATED ON CHASE WHILE YOU WERE STILL MARRIED TO HIM. (thank you. let's clap that cow with some truths).

Willow channeling all her carly smugbitchness goes "I wronged Chase, i'm guilty of living a lie." BLQ goes. good. so stop throwing stones. Willow goes my reasons for marrying and staying married to Chase were a lot more complicated and you know it. (no. they weren't Willow). BLQ rightly claps back "so how do you know mine weren't."  and i'm not even lying - Willow does the carly snarl and head shake. (Laura Wright legit must be teaching Eden and Katelyn Carlyisms haha).  Olivia breaks them up and goes okay maybe no one should throw stones. Then says BLQ's lie impacted the family more so she needs to work on the family's trust. (shut up Olivia. you wanna ditch the family every 2 seconds). BLQ goes for once i wish i could get the benefit of the doubt. she did what she thought was right for the family and protecting Baileylou. WIllow starts up again about how was using Baileylou protecting the family and BLQ claps back you were't in my shoes so you'll never know what you would have done. She storms off, but Willow goes "hey i went to jail rather than tell Shiloh where to find my son, you used Bailey as a bargaining chip." BLQ (instead of going screw you) goes. That's right i'm the family screw up, you are SUCH a better person than me, Willow. Olivia goes okay let's just take it easy. Willow pouts I didn't pick this fight. (BITCH. YES YOU DID.). Olivia soothes Willow, and BLQ snorts in disgust and walks off. (as i would have done). Willow needs a minute after she finished stirring up poop. and she looks like she wants to weep. Her Carlyindoctrination is complete. Harmony sees Willow. they chat. Willow goes I am not going to make Wiley not realize  who you are especially because his OTHER grandmother won't be around. (and WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?! IT'S NOT NINA'S CHOICE).

Brad doesn't think he should be in the Metrocourt. He doesn't know what to call Ms Woo. She goes. "Call me Aunt Selena". She wants to groom him. Britt sees brad and they both freak out. Auntie looks pissed. (why am I having a feeling Auntie is really Mommy?) Brad goes "Why weren't you at the parole?" Britt is like had work. Selena still has no time for Britt. Britt is all. Nah i have nothing better to do, I'll spend time w/my bestie who just got out of jail! hugs hugs (and Selena and Britt give each other side eyes) They are now eating and Selena gets pissed. Brad wants to know if Lucas is seeing anyone. Both Selena and Britt is like let it go and people will forget. CUE MICHAEL. Wants to know what the hell he's doing there. Clearly eating breakfast. 

Michael goes what did you do Selena to get Brad out? Selena goes nothing. Michael goes you have the audacity to come to my mother's hotel. Selena points out co owns. hahaha. Brad goes can we talk, and they split. Britt goes why are you using Brad to piss off Carly? (because it will work haha). Selena is like i thought i told you to leave brad alone. now we have issues. Britt goes i'm not abandoning Brad. 

Michael goes (again) why are you here? Brad goes it was Selena's idea. Michael goes your aunt has an interest in you why is that. This is where Brad should go. BECAUSE SHE'S MY AUNT YOU BUTTHOLE. Brad said i'm just glad i'm out. I know Sonny could have blocked it, he's given me a second chance. Michael goes. "it was just a transaction." Michael goes you get no second chances with me. (who gives a poo. drop dead, Michael). Brad goes. trust me if i see Wiley, i'll turn around and walk away. Michael goes "don't speak his name, or I will end you." oh shut up. 

Britt goes where is brad, Michael snaps processing. and Britt storms off. Michael goes bringing Brad here is a sign of disrespect, remember that. Selena stands up, looks at him and goes. "are you threatening me?" Michael glares at selena. Selena reminds Michael about the agreement, and Michael hisses that's only if Brad stays away from my family. (let's remind people Michael went to Brad. kay?)

Brad says selena scares him. Britt admits to Brad Selena threatened her. Brad goes are you going to listen? Britt's like nope!

Davis Coven including Kristina! she thinks Sam and Alexis working together is a BAAD idea. Sam and Alexis start being passive aggressive about a client and Kristina goes "3 minutes. that was longer than i thought." hahaa. Sam is pissed because she thinks alexis doesn't think she can't do her job. now they talk about Neil. Molly smoothes things over. Can't... Alexis just reapply for her legal license?  Alexis leaves, and Sam is like okay we need to get things straight and Kristina and Molly give wtf looks. 

BLQ storms into the steam room. She is demanding why Chase didn't pick up the phone. Chase goes i don't keep the cell phone in the steam room. Finn goes MEN'S STEAM ROOM. and he tells off BLQ for keeping Bailey from Chase. BLQ goes i get the msg again  then tells Chase THAT'S the problem. Chase is like what? BLQ goes you need to DEFEND ME. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Am I really supposed to side with Willow over Brook Lynn? Willow has nothing to be angry about - she wasn't hurt by the lie over Bailey's supposed paternity. Willow should be just fine with it, and then chatting about it with her friends, but she was in no way wounded or hurt by the lie.

I honestly don't understand how I'm supposed to be rooting for Michael either. This show confuses me.

• Love 18