Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Employee of the Bearimy

DemonCon! “And worse, the spiders get bored.” I thought it would be harder for Michael and Jason to get Janet out of the Bad Place, but that demon vaporizer sure came in handy. And Janet and Jason are the cutest. “I love you girl.” “Not a girl.” 

And Chidi saying he really trusts Eleanor. Aww. I miss them together. Eleanor’s slightly crestfallen look when Chidi kissed Simone just hurt. 

Derek rebooting himself slayed me. “Don’t kill me, me!” 

No real cliffhanger, but I’m sure Shaun is going to get back at them somehow; it can’t be that easy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
39 minutes ago, judemorrigan said:

I like to think that Gardner Minshew will be Jason's eternal reward.

Yes the guy who almost took a hammer to his hand to get a medical redshirt ** is totally Jason's kind of player.

**I probably would have also considered something this drastic if I had to play for Scotty Montgomery.  

• Love 3

At least now we know that Janet with the help of Derrick was only in charge of giving the personalities and animus to the people in the good place. I am not sure why that would be so hard since she only needed to really provide a accurate facsimile when the test subjects were in their presence. She could offline most of the residents to reduce her workload.

• Love 3

Chidi's excitement when he thought he was playing some type of puzzle game was the greatest!

Great seeing more of Jason and Michael together, and, of course, the reunion between Jason and Janet was sweet.  Their escape did seem a bit too easy though, so I'm not sure if Shawn was simply too shocked and unprepared to be effective, or if there is some other kind of angle he is working.  Either way, I'm sure he'll try something: especially after Michael blew up Vicky!  I'm guessing she's goo now, but it was still great seeing Tiya Sircar again.

Also liked seeing more of Eleanor and Tahani together, and the latter opening up about her insecurities.  I do hope we get more of their friendship again, but it has been lacking so far this season.

I'm usually hit or miss with Jason Mantzoukas (his Pimento on Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a bit much at times), but he really shines as Derek.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

If we stick with the theory that this is all still a test for *our* four humans I feel like there were more arrows in that direction tonight, with Jason controlling his impulses and saving the demon exploder for the right moment, and Tahani realising she wants to be useful for real, learn and do something that matters.

Still not feeling this season as much as the previous ones, but the last couple of episodes have been more like it!

• Love 15
9 hours ago, phalange said:

And Janet and Jason are the cutest. “I love you girl.” “Not a girl.” 

9 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

Loved the fact that Janet almost immediately tumbled that it was the real Michael.

I thought she realized it was the real Michael and Jason because of Jason's comment above. A real demon in a skin suit would know Janets are not real girls. That was Jason's way of tipping her off.

• Love 10

"It's kinda like homework, so win/win!"  I love Chidi in his full on nerd mode.

Does Vaporized Vicky mean we never have to see her again?  It takes several thousand (hundred) years for the goo to re-demonize, right?  Please let our time with Vicky be over.

I hated Derrick when he first showed up, but I am warming up to him.  Too bad we probably won't see a fully formed, intellectual Derrick before the end of this show's run.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Schweedie said:

If we stick with the theory that this is all still a test for *our* four humans I feel like there were more arrows in that direction tonight, with Jason controlling his impulses and saving the demon exploder for the right moment, and Tahani realising she wants to be useful for real, learn and do something that matters.

Still not feeling this season as much as the previous ones, but the last couple of episodes have been more like it!

I have been re-watching seasons 1-3 on Netflix just because and last night I watched the episode with the judge's tests for the four individuals. Jason's test was impulse control in regard to Madden Football and having to play against the Jaguars, so yep!! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 6

Ok - so two demons got goo-ed last night - how easy is it to separate the goos?!? they could have some fun if Vicky comes back but is off slightly or they cast someone new because they couldn't separate them accurately! I am way too amused by this idea! 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

If Jason now has all of his afterlife memories...shouldn't he realize how Tahani's been more impactful and there for him than Janet? 
...then again he's never been the brightest.

Well then again he has already forgotten most of them. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Their escape did seem a bit too easy though, so I'm not sure if Shawn was simply too shocked and unprepared to be effective, or if there is some other kind of angle he is working. 

I think it is partly due to the demons never acting unless directly ordered to by Shawn and partly due to the demons being too stupid to realize that this wasn't part of the entertainment planned by Shawn.

I wonder if our guys could have rescued Janet by rebooting her.

• Love 8

I thought they were intending to communicate that the demons thought it was all the entertainment for Demon Con.

I felt like this season started slowly also but I laughed out loud several times last night, with a good amount of anticipation. Shaun commenting on Jason's cheekbones, definitely.

Totes thought that Eleanor and Tahani were going to lay one on each other at the end, the way they were looking at each other in the last scene with that scenic background behind them.

Also missed that Chidi and Simone are together in this season?

Impressive growth in Tahani and Jason.

This being the last season makes me sad.

• Love 5

WELCOME TO THE BAD PLACE
   "Population: Your Mom"

I had to get the pause on the DVR just right, but that made me laugh more than it should.

Oh Tahani, I don't know if "Your Friend's" MOST problematic role is Finding Forrester. May I direct you to midway through Goldfinger. But I was very glad to see you get a fully developed plot again this week, plus some of your great background work.

It's a little unfortunate that I feel like I have a good idea of how the show will wrap up its final plots already. The first season just set such a high bar for the mystery and then the twist. That said, I'm really enjoying the journey.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I'm going to need a clip of Chidi saying "OOOOOOOOH I love puzzles."

Definitely. The running gag of Chidi going "OOOOOOOOH!" throughout the episode any time he thought the puzzle was taking on new twists was both hilarious and endearing.

Their escape did seem a bit too easy though, so I'm not sure if Shawn was simply too shocked and unprepared to be effective, or if there is some other kind of angle he is working. 

The demons in the audience seemed to think they were putting on some kind of show which is why they just let them walk out of there. Shaun was the only one who understood what was going on and yelling for their capture but the audience just thought it was part of a show. I can't remember what that fiery red rock demon said at the very end as they were walking out but it was something about how the production values were so much better than last year's.

I love that they brought Goo Glenn with them on the mission,  but I also didn't see whether they brought him back with them or not. 

I don't think they did. I can't think of any reason they would have brought him with them in the first place unless they were just returning him to where he belonged. It's not like he could have been any use to them.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm usually hit or miss with Jason Mantzoukas (his Pimento on Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a bit much at times), but he really shines as Derek.

I'm with you here. And Pimento was far better than the character he played on The League. But, he's really funny here and also doing a nice job of showing us how Derek is Dereking more (or is less) every time he's rebooted.

1 hour ago, JessDVD said:

Also missed that Chidi and Simone are together in this season?

One or two episodes ago, Eleanor pushed Chidi to help Simone by telling him that Simone was his soul mate. I guess they're relationship has progressed from there.

40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think they did. I can't think of any reason they would have brought him with them in the first place unless they were just returning him to where he belonged. It's not like he could have been any use to them.

Don't be harshing on Glenn. Jason did consult him during the trip to The Bad Place and Glenn gave a very supportive and enthusiastic "glurp."*

I've always enjoyed Tahani and Eleanor plots, so it was great seeing Tahani's insecurities come to the fore and Eleanor, in her own way, helping and supporting her.

How were Michael and Jason going to rescue Janet if it hadn't been Demon Con time? Did Michael know it was? Did Glenn "glurp" the information to him? Also, don't magnets make Janets drunk or am I mistaken on that point? Eh, I guess it could be due to all the reboots Janet has gone through and Bad Janet did say that she also was rebooted enough times to be able to pass for our Janet.

*That's the way I heard it, but I didn't have close captioning so it might not have sounded exactly like that.

• Love 5

I am just not feeling this season.

I kind of agree with you.  Though every episode has it moments, it feels somehow "less" than the other seasons.  I think that it may be the loss of Chidi as a team player.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Vicky as fake Michael killed me. Ted Danson is a comic genius.

Ted Danson playing Michael playing Tiya Sircar playing Ted Danson playing Vicky playing Michael. Is this what it's like to be in Inception?

• LOL 4
  • Love 17

I honestly love Mike Schur's shows and The Good Place. However, I'm up a lot in the middle of the night with an infant so I had some time to reflect on this show. I recently read an article about how Schur loved the constrained format of network tv, but I think tonight's episode showed some shortcomings. A few things would have benefited from some time and explanation...

A. The fact that it was never explained until now that Michael had given Eleanor and Tahani their memories back. I was generally wondering about this as Eleanor seemed to have her memories. For example, she was the one who suggested the chaos sequence to rock Brent's confidence the same way Michael had done to her.

B. No explanation was given as to why Chidi was not curious to where Jianyu was. Two sentences for Eleanor to give Chidi some excuse would have been nice and given some clarity as to why Chidi was so relaxed.

C. I would have liked to have seen more of Brent's reaction to a Janetless afterlife. 

D. So how were the Janet babies operating from when Jason cuffed Bad Janet until Derek took over. Why were they behaving normally during Eleanor's Earth Day explanation? 

Feel like there is a logical explanation for some of these questions, but there were time constraints and probably tons of plot to get through before the season finale. Hopefully there will be more in the extended releases?

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, albinerhawk said:

A. The fact that it was never explained until now that Michael had given Eleanor and Tahani their memories back. I was generally wondering about this as Eleanor seemed to have her memories.

They showed Michael giving Eleanor her memories, but Tahani came out of the blue. 

This show is my one of my favorite parts of the week, but I don't like this pacing. If they want us to give a crap about the three newbies, they need to spend some real time with them. If they don't want us to give a crap then we need to move on. The podcast hints that unexpected wackiness is coming soon, but right now we're sort of fighting a vortex with occasional boosts from hilarity or some empathetic moments. But we're not moving forward in any real way, and TGP's greatest strength (as far as I'm concerned) has been it's determination to keep things moving. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, albinerhawk said:

They showed Michael giving Eleanor selected memories from certain reboots, but not all 300 years.

We all see what we see, but I certainly thought it was implied he showed her everything, because Eleanor would not have stopped with just seeing snippets. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I think it is partly due to the demons never acting unless directly ordered to by Shawn and partly due to the demons being too stupid to realize that this wasn't part of the entertainment planned by Shawn.

I wonder if our guys could have rescued Janet by rebooting her.

I think Janet might've been out of range of the button - otherwise wouldn't they have done that back when they went to Mindy's?

13 hours ago, whiporee said:

They showed Michael giving Eleanor her memories, but Tahani came out of the blue. 

Although it does make her storyline this week make a whole lot more sense. After 300+ reboots of her planning parties, it would make sense that Tahani is a little concerned that it's all she seems to be good at. 

• Love 4

I assume the reboot plungers follow Janets around somehow. Derek's was originally on the beach next to Good Janet's in the fake a Good Place, and then Mindy found it behind the house in the Medium Place shortly after he arrived.

Hm, does that mean there's a field of 300+ plungers out there for all the new Janet-babies? Or are they fundamentally different from Derek? They don't seem to have as much independent drive.

Edited by BobH
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, albinerhawk said:

I recently read an article about how Schur loved the constrained format of network tv, but I think tonight's episode showed some shortcomings. A few things would have benefited from some time and explanation...

If you listen to the podcast a common refrain from the writers and directors is that they always write way more than can fit in the 22 minutes they have (or even the one or two minute longer extended cuts that show up on-line). It does result in some very packed episodes (I kept thinking the rescue of Janet would take several episodes, then I watch it and wonder why I thought that, given how much occurs in every episode), but I agree that sometimes a key bit gets left out that might have been fun to see.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

Omg I watched the first scene 10 times. I used to teach acting and have worked in theater a long time (now am a journalist).

if you’ve ever ever been in a rehearsal michael/vicky’s I’m in my HEAD now just killed. KILLED. 

I totally agree. Also Janet's comment that "hearing you talk about your acting process is the REAL torture."

• LOL 3
  • Love 10