Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

Arriving 15 minutes before Disneyland's opening with an empty parking lot and no one waiting!  Was thinking the Goldberg family had arrived at 8:45am on their watches (still on eastern time) but 5:45am Pacific Time.  Then remembered in National Lampoon's Vacation the theme park was closed for repairs.

Edited by K-9
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Was that Christie Brinkley or a look a like?

She was the real deal.

Can’t decide how I feel about the episode. Maybe it was a little too much of a remake (homage?) and not enough “inspired by real life” from their family trip. I liked Jeff coming to the rescue. And, as always, I want more Pops!

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

She was the real deal.

Can’t decide how I feel about the episode. Maybe it was a little too much of a remake (homage?) and not enough “inspired by real life” from their family trip. I liked Jeff coming to the rescue. And, as always, I want more Pops!

LOL @ the title of the article: Christie Brinkley on reprising her National Lampoon’s Vacation role on The Goldbergs: "I think this is a really good reprisal right here"

Reprisal, Christie: You use this word. I do not think it means what you think it means. (I believe she meant reprise, since reprisal = retaliation. Then again, perhaps appearing on The Goldbergs is some sort of retaliation?)

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

Oh, please!  They're taking a cross-country trip requiring at least 35 hours driving each way plus stops, to spend what, ONE day at Disneyland?  And Barry has to be back for college in a week!  A road trip to Orlando makes a little sense.  This makes no sense at all!

This show is just awful anymore. It's the same plot every episode, just with different details.  

• Love 17
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

They're taking a cross-country trip requiring at least 35 hours driving each way plus stops, to spend what, ONE day at Disneyland?  And Barry has to be back for college in a week!  A road trip to Orlando makes a little sense.  This makes no sense at all!

I pointed the same thing out to my husband and he hand-waved it away as "well that's what they did in the original," but that leads me to Kiddvideo's point:

11 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Maybe it was a little too much of a remake (homage?) and not enough “inspired by real life” from their family trip.

I think I would've been more amused if it wasn't basically a condensed shot-for-shot remake of Vacation. This episode was a bit of a miss for me, with the exception of Jeff: "I followed your suitcases like bread crumbs!" 😂

Edited by JenLily
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, JenLily said:

I pointed the same thing out to my husband and he hand-waved it away as "well that's what they did in the original," but that leads me to Kiddvideo's point:

In the original, they started from Chicago, not the East coast.  Granted, driving time isn't that much different (maybe 4 hours each way) but still...

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

In the original, they started from Chicago, not the East coast.  Granted, driving time isn't that much different (maybe 4 hours each way) but still...

Chicago to Philadelphia is 11 1/2 hrs each way driving. It's 2 hrs by plane.

I'm surprised Murray sprang for motels. He had 3 other people in the car with lisences not including Pops . 40 hrs to Anaheim  taking turns could have saved at least one night in a hotel if not 2.

I didn't care for this episode .  I tend not to like the tribute episodes as much as the other episodes. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 3

That was definitely Christie Brinkley and she looks great! Pops you smooth operator you! "Now this just seems reckless." 

I usually prefer the based on a true story episodes over the homage episodes, but I still got a few chuckles out of this. "I had no idea there were zebras in Nevada!" 

• Love 6

Now I want a Wheel of Fortune / Vanna White tribute episode.   Vanna and Christie were every dad’s dream back in the day (at least in my world). 🤣

Christie looks amazing, she’s been on DWTS in the audience due to injury (I figure this was maybe supposed to be a cross over / plug for the ABC family of shows).   Her daughter is a clone of 80’s Christie, it’s amazing and takes me right back to my childhood when Christie was THE it girl.

I still love this show, it’s wholesome and I can watch it with my kiddo without earmuffs or embarrassment.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Congrats of your ABC Family Sitcom Disneyland Episode, Goldbergs! Truly a milestone.

I agree, the notion of it being a one-week trip was a little silly. But it was a fun get back episode. Fun that they had Anthony Michael Hall as the security guard. But it would have been great if they'd been able to have the various "Rustys" "and "Audreys") throughout the episode

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

She was the real deal.

More like my grandpa’s dream, which fits her going with pops.

It was not bad but you knew Bev was going to get hurt and the family would apologize. I know they wanted to just do a vacation spoof but if Bev loves her family so much, why does she always force them to do stuff they will hate?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

In the original, they started from Chicago, not the East coast.

Yeah, he said that. He was referring to the whole cross-country aspect of it because I had said I didn't understand why they didn't just drive down to FL because that made more sense to me in the whole "week-long vacation" timeline they'd established, especially considering they were pausing at places instead of taking turns and driving straight through

22 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Everyone's mentioning Christie Brinkley, but no love for Anthony Michael Hall who played the original Rusty?  He was the guard.

My husband actually shouted with glee when he saw AMH. I didn't even recognize him. Then again, I think my husband is a bigger fan of the original than I am. I'm a Christmas Vacation gal myself.  😊

• Love 9
2 hours ago, JenLily said:

Yeah, he said that. He was referring to the whole cross-country aspect of it because I had said I didn't understand why they didn't just drive down to FL because that made more sense to me in the whole "week-long vacation" timeline they'd established, especially considering they were pausing at places instead of taking turns and driving straight through

My husband actually shouted with glee when he saw AMH. I didn't even recognize him. Then again, I think my husband is a bigger fan of the original than I am. I'm a Christmas Vacation gal myself.  😊

I’m actually a huge fan of The Dead Zone, so I may also have squeed. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was startled by Jeff Garland’s grey hair. It was unsettling!

I was not a fan of how asshole they were at the Old West town.  Don’t be rude to people who enjoy what they do.  

Is it stress dealing with two shows or something? Jeff's hair seems to suggest that.

Geoff continues to be the best at being the almost irritatingly cheerful Supportive Boyfriend. "I followed your suitcases like breadcrumbs!"

I wish they'd do a slight time jump of even just a year or two - the kids are all very clearly much older than their supposed ages, especially Barry with that hairline. It's weird to watch a man who looks to be in his late 20s freak out about being a college freshman. But hey, it now apparently works for his mostly off-screen recurring role on Schooled! (why?? why did we have to drag that relationship into the spin off when he's not even on it?)

90% of episodes are some variation of "The kids are terrible to Bev and Erica is stressed about Geoff."  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

My 8 year old son loves this show and I try my best not to ruin it for him... especially with the horrific timeline.  Now, the kids are just 1-1-2 years apart? And, now they are just caricatures of themselves.  

This formula is getting so incredibly OLD... I wish they would try to be a little creative with Beverly's smothering.

Final nitpick- was Star Tours even around in the 80's? I remember Captain EO but I thought ST was way later (we went in 2013 and I thought it was still on the newer side).  Adam wearing the cloak would have to have been when Disney bought Star Wars, right? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Final nitpick- was Star Tours even around in the 80's?

I just looked it up because I didn't think it was that old either but Star Tours opened at Disneyland in 1987. Ah, Disney World was 2011. Since I never went to Disneyland as a kid that explains why I thought it was later. It was in Florida. Ok, feel a little better about that. It was bothering me a LOT. 

Much like the painful Disney buying Star Wars bit they made poor Adam spew at the beginning of the ep. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Geoff continues to be the best at being the almost irritatingly cheerful Supportive Boyfriend. "I followed your suitcases like breadcrumbs!"

I wish they'd do a slight time jump of even just a year or two - the kids are all very clearly much older than their supposed ages, especially Barry with that hairline. It's weird to watch a man who looks to be in his late 20s freak out about being a college freshman. But hey, it now apparently works for his mostly off-screen recurring role on Schooled! (why?? why did we have to drag that relationship into the spin off when he's not even on it?)

90% of episodes are some variation of "The kids are terrible to Bev and Erica is stressed about Geoff."  

Yeah, the actor playing Adam Goldberg is really getting up there in his later teens. I could take video gamer/Sci-Fi nerd Adam realistically, but not toy playing Goldberg who can't outgrow his toys and wants to keep them. I even outgrown toy figures quite a while ago. I was a video gamer for years and I admit to not outgrowing my video games, but Adam's toy obsession is really annoying given the age of the actor. It seems the writers want him to remain 13 for years! It doesn't work like that.

• Love 6

Couldn't find an "official" description.  Adam's crush Dana has moved back and Adam has difficulties trying to reconnect.  Barry and Erica have no dorm assignments, so end up back home, until Murray fixes the problem he caused.

While I enjoyed that there was another education administrator that was going to fall victim to Bev's onslaught, there wasn't anything that felt particularly fresh about this episode. Especially with bringing Dana back.

Maybe it's because with the kids being older the nostalgia kick doesn't feel so strong, or it's just running on its last legs for new ideas. I'm hoping they can turn it around.

• Love 2

I don't usually enjoy the Adam-centric storylines for whatever reason.  But the only real problem I had with this episode was Dana.  I can completely understand her not wanting to rush into a relationship after losing her grandmother and moving back to town.  But she could have just just explained that to Adam without heaping on the guilt, and acting like he kicked her dog.  

Some might argue he should have known this and been more sensitive to her needs.  But I don't think high school kids have developed that level of insight yet.  Where his judgement was really inexplicably flawed was when he took Barry's advice over his grandfather's.  That doesn't even seem consistent with his character, considering how much he admires his pop pop. 

• Love 15

It was a nice moment when Murray admitted that he would miss Barry and Erica, but I think what he did was really crappy and he got off kinda easy for it. Barry and Erica really wanted to live on campus, and he was sneaking around messing it up for them, and then let Bev take the heat for it!

Dana looks so mature, its kind of freaking me out! Come on Adam, listening to Barry over Pops?! Terrible idea!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It was a nice moment when Murray admitted that he would miss Barry and Erica, but I think what he did was really crappy and he got off kinda easy for it. Barry and Erica really wanted to live on campus, and he was sneaking around messing it up for them, and then let Bev take the heat for it!

Dana looks so mature, its kind of freaking me out! Come on Adam, listening to Barry over Pops?! Terrible idea!

Yeah. That was a stupid idea and what Murray did was inexcusable. No, you don't do that to people who want to live on campus and put the blame on the wife. In reality, he would have been accused of tampering children's lives and Judge Judy would have a field day with Murray.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4
On 9/26/2019 at 2:03 AM, CarpeFelis said:

LOL @ the title of the article: Christie Brinkley on reprising her National Lampoon’s Vacation role on The Goldbergs: "I think this is a really good reprisal right here"

Reprisal, Christie: You use this word. I do not think it means what you think it means. (I believe she meant reprise, since reprisal = retaliation. Then again, perhaps appearing on The Goldbergs is some sort of retaliation?)

She's an idiot.

• Like 1

At least Murray was the sabotaging parent for once.

All the Goldbergs are self-absorbed goobers when it comes to love plots, so Adam's storyline tracks. Was that actually Dana's original actress, or is this another Jackie recasting situation? Holy cow, those flashbacks of tiny middle school Adam only made it more apparent that the actor is now 20+. He's small, but not that small!

Making Barry and Erica roommates seemed like a very contrived way to extend their shelf life. Erica would hate that. I'd rather see them in their own plots. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

How many college drop offs have we seen for Erica?   I'm not a regular watcher but I've seen at least two drop offs for her.  I'm laid  up for a while and am on the lookout for some new shows to keep me from getting cabin fever but I don't think this one will stick with me. 

I have a hard time watching  this because every time the dad speaks,  he sounds like he's about to clutch his chest and fall over.  The mother is horrible and I've read that they actually toned her down for the show.  She's lucky her kids have anything to do with her.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, alexa said:

Ugh.  Not every episode has to be about Beverly smothering, and then the kids feeling bad about how they acted.  I think we have been there, done that.

Exactly.  I don't want to offend lovers of this show but this is probably the worst show that I keep watching for some reason. It's always predictable,gimmicky, and they're always trying to be cute in a nauseating way. Sorry if I ruined it for anyone. I'll try not to watch next week but it seems like I'm addicted to some real garbage shows.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I started loving this show because of the delicious 80’s goodness but holy fuck has it gotten formulaic.  Beverly, your kids are assholes and you always forgive them.

Also, could everyone please stop yelling?

Yet, I will still watch because I’m no quitter.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 9/30/2019 at 4:02 PM, Mabinogia said:

I just looked it up because I didn't think it was that old either but Star Tours opened at Disneyland in 1987. Ah, Disney World was 2011. Since I never went to Disneyland as a kid that explains why I thought it was later. It was in Florida. Ok, feel a little better about that. It was bothering me a LOT. 

Much like the painful Disney buying Star Wars bit they made poor Adam spew at the beginning of the ep. 

Rewinding a bit, Star Tours opened at Disneyland in 1987 and what was then the MGM Studios park at Disney World in 1989.  It closed in both places in 2010 for a rework to "Star Tours: The Adventure Continues."  Similar simulator (try saying that ten times fast) with new effects and animatronics. 🙂

• Useful 2
14 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Why was half the cast of Cheers in this episode?  Was there a Cheers reference that I missed earlier in the episode?  

Murray said he just wanted to watch Cheers in peace.

Also ABC's doing this whole old casts popping up in new shows week thing.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

Murray said he just wanted to watch Cheers in peace.

Also ABC's doing this whole old casts popping up in new shows week thing.

Ah, thanks.  I don't have cable and just watch on Hulu so I wasn't aware of the "old cast" week thing.  What other shows are participating in this?  I know that the cast of Girlfriends was in Black-ish this week but besides The Goldbergs, I haven't seen it on any of ABC's other shows.  Modern Family and Single Parents both had reoccurring guest stars but does that really count as "old casts"?

2 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Ah, thanks.  I don't have cable and just watch on Hulu so I wasn't aware of the "old cast" week thing.  What other shows are participating in this?  I know that the cast of Girlfriends was in Black-ish this week but besides The Goldbergs, I haven't seen it on any of ABC's other shows.  Modern Family and Single Parents both had reoccurring guest stars but does that really count as "old casts"?

Here’s a list. Some have a very tenuous connection to be “casts”, Robert Sean Leonard is on House creators show The Good Doctor and the “past”, Crazy Rich Asians is included.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Eataton said:

Exactly.  I don't want to offend lovers of this show but this is probably the worst show that I keep watching for some reason. It's always predictable,gimmicky, and they're always trying to be cute in a nauseating way. Sorry if I ruined it for anyone. I'll try not to watch next week but it seems like I'm addicted to some real garbage shows.

I have always loved this show, and you are not offending me.  There have been way too many episodes revolving around the smothering lately, and for a while it was okay, but it has already been done so many times in the past--and they make up every single time, so there is no reason to keep bringing out that storyline.  I wanted the show to continue longer, but if this is all they have left I could be done, lol.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I started loving this show because of the delicious 80’s goodness but holy fuck has it gotten formulaic.  Beverly, your kids are assholes and you always forgive them.

Also, could everyone please stop yelling?

Yet, I will still watch because I’m no quitter.

They are jerks, but honestly, who could cope with her weird smothering ways without being a jerk, especially in high school?  That is not the most patient age group, and that is when she does most of her smothering.   Regardless of who is at fault I am over that storyline.

• Love 11

Can we please get less "Bev is smothering" episodes where Bev crosses a million boundaries, and then the kids have to apologize for being mad about it, everyone acts like a jerk, and then Bev and the kids learn lessons that will be forgotten by next week? I was hoping we wouldn't have as much of that this season, but I guess that is not meant to be. 

I love JTP so much, they can make an episode for me. "Yeah, bro, I'm pretty sure you might be a drug mule." "I think I am in real trouble!" 

• Love 12