Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

I might have to stop watching this show because Barry and Erica have become quite possibly the worst two characters on tv ever.  And I can't stand Erica and Geoff's relationship.  He worships the ground she walks on, bends over backwards for her every little whim and she in return...doesn't want him in her family photos and keeps that fact that they're living together secret.  Ugh.  It's gross to watch.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Of all the nicknames for Matt's underwear, my personal favorite was "Under Khakis" Possibly a decade too early for the "Jump, Jive and Wail" era of marketing, but that really spoke to Gap Employee Matt Bradley's passion for his product

I love Matt Bradley!  I forget how huge The Gap was back in the late 80’s / early 90’s.  

Everything khaki and denim!

“Do you need some socks to go with that purchase today?”  🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 12/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, Snapdragon said:

I might have to stop watching this show because Barry and Erica have become quite possibly the worst two characters on tv ever.  And I can't stand Erica and Geoff's relationship.  He worships the ground she walks on, bends over backwards for her every little whim and she in return...doesn't want him in her family photos and keeps that fact that they're living together secret.  Ugh.  It's gross to watch.

And she gets away with it all the time. Pops and the JTP are the only characters I root for in this show. The rest could go fly a kite. It sucks this show had characters that I cared about, but as the seasons continued, the characters just became obnoxious and unlikeable.

• Love 5

I'm at the point were I would have preferred Johnny Atkins be the JTPs new roommate. HE is less annoying than Barry at this point. I don't mind Erica as much as others, but I could easily do without her...and Adam...and Bev...and Murray in that order. lol So basically, I'd like the Goldberg's a lot better without any of the Goldberg's in it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, Snapdragon said:

I actually agreed with Erica. I mean she should be more open with her feelings but they are extremely young and being on a family Christmas card is a huge thing and fairly unusual when just dating vs engaged/married. As for the living together secret, they both are keeping it from their parents for a variety of reasons. 

• Love 8

Luckily my DVR was already set to record the Jeopardy Greatest of All Time show because there was a new episode last night even though my cable guide said Jeopardy. Murray discovered he's a year younger than he thought and Bev throws him a second 50th birthday party. Apparently this really did happen which makes me a little sad for Murray. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Luckily my DVR was already set to record the Jeopardy Greatest of All Time show because there was a new episode last night even though my cable guide said Jeopardy. Murray discovered he's a year younger than he thought and Bev throws him a second 50th birthday party. Apparently this really did happen which makes me a little sad for Murray. 

That explains why I was surprised it was on, and almost missed it.  I had planned on Jeopardy, lol, and didn't check to see what was going to be on in place of it.  I dozed through half of the show and wasn't sure if Coach Mellor is back for good or just that episode?

1 hour ago, alexa said:

I dozed through half of the show and wasn't sure if Coach Mellor is back for good or just that episode?

Apparently the Goldbergs is like a candy bar for me. I watch. It's pleasant, but dang if I can remember it for more than a few hours. I think he was just back for the episode but I've already forgotten and I didn't doze through half the show. 🙂

• Love 7

Murray having a second 50th birthday because his age was wrong is so hilariously specific, I knew that it had to be something that actually happened. The Philly Phinetic stole every scene he was in for me. The "come on man!" gesture at the music guy was hilarious. 

Cool seeing Coach Mellor here, even if its only for one episode, being busy in the 90s and all. 

• Love 6

I think this season is turning around.  I liked this episode.  The dramas were quick, the outcomes were good,  and most of the storylines fit the characters well.  

I loved the ending with Adam hugging his grandpa.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 4

I liked Erica's line "Seven hours?  That's almost half a night's sleep".

I also like that Beverly has potty mouth.  And that neither parent freaked out about Geoff and Erica living together.

I could have spent more time looking at those vintage games.

• Love 10

This episode made me really laugh a few times. But I think my favorite was: "Throwing away sunglasses, that jacket! What kinda budget is this guy working with?"

Also, "Oh great! Actual feuding with your family!"

Glad to see this show can still pull deep when it needs to, even if the "life lessons" get pretty repetitive after a while!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Anthony Michael Hall! I loved when he showed Adam the pic of when he was a nerd!  I ❤ 16 Candles! Seeing the old games was funny...the rest was meh. Since when is Johnny Atkins a popular kid?

It takes a classic nerd on how to train a nerd to on how to be cool (and fail.)

I am shocked that out of classic games, there was no Hungry Hungry Hippos or Jenga. 

• Love 7

Anthony Michael Hall! I died when he pulled out a picture of himself in Sixteen Candles, that was definitely one of my favorite 80s guest star appearances yet!

Adams cool kid act was hilarious, especially him randomly tossing sunglasses around, and AMH and his knife. "That was the most terrifying and masculine thing I've ever seen in my life."

• Love 8
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Anthony Michael Hall! I died when he pulled out a picture of himself in Sixteen Candles, that was definitely one of my favorite 80s guest star appearances yet!

Adams cool kid act was hilarious, especially him randomly tossing sunglasses around, and AMH and his knife. "That was the most terrifying and masculine thing I've ever seen in my life."

I know, it felt like a classic episode. 

• Love 5
On 1/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, tennisgurl said:

The ironic thing is that Anthony Michael Hall was trying to ditch his nerd persona and was going for a jock bad boy image at that time period when he was around Adam's age. It was interesting that was brought up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 1/23/2020 at 10:17 AM, juliet73 said:

Anthony Michael Hall! I loved when he showed Adam the pic of when he was a nerd!  I ❤ 16 Candles! Seeing the old games was funny...the rest was meh. Since when is Johnny Atkins a popular kid?

I can only guess he's been at the school for so long at this point that he's old enough to buy alcohol for the popular kids.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought Adam Goldberg hated everything about Adam F. Goldberg?

No, I'm pretty sure Adam Goldberg, the one who has appeared in classic movies such as "Dazed and Confused" and "Saving Private Ryan", made an admittedly bitchy comment on social media about being mistaken for Adam Goldberg, the one who uses his childhood as an excuse to make terrible homages to 80's movies on The Goldbergs, and that was pretty much it.

Then what happened was that Adam F Goldbergs mother came to his defense (naturally), and it became this unwieldy, one-sided, feud that eventually became a boring subplot on the show. Culminating in this most recent episode that posits the other Adam Goldberg as a failure, and Adam F Goldberg as the world's most special boy. 

Or something like that, I'm not really sure. I got to be honest, as with most things Goldbergs-related, I was only half paying attention. I usually just have the show on in the background while I'm dealing with other, more pressing, matters.

Edited by reggiejax
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, reggiejax said:

Then what happened was that Adam F Goldbergs mother came to his defense (naturally), and it became this unwieldy, one-sided, feud that eventually became a boring subplot on th

That really happened? OMG that is too funny. I was wondering if any of that was even remotely true. It seems a little over the top even for Beverly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, reggiejax said:

Then what happened was that Adam F Goldbergs mother came to his defense (naturally), and it became this unwieldy, one-sided, feud that eventually became a boring subplot on the show.

I thought it was an amusing thread running through several seasons, culminating in the Karate Kid episode where they made a peace of sorts.

As always, the JTP rocks, even when they're being useless.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8

The JTP is always a highlight, especially now that they have a chore wheel! JTP! Poor Geoff, I hope that this keeps up and he can finally get some purpose in his life again, beyond being sucked into the crazy schemes of his girlfriend and friends. JTP!

• Love 6

Hot take: Aren’t the characters a little old/sophisticated to understand that teachers are humans albeit subject experts? Bottom line: I like this show and respect the real life characters for their accomplishments. It’s time, though. Next season is under contract, and I think the writers need to do a “5 years later” kinda jump where Erica and Barry graduate med school and Adam gets through college. 

Eta: Or whatever careers. Maybe they don’t want to be so true to life that Erica and Barry both become doctors. They just need to show the characters successfully moving forward.

Edited by Kiddvideo

I guess they're continuing to lay the foundation that Barry is maybe smarter than he appears.  They must have heard some of the criticisms about the credibility of him becoming a doctor.

The JTP was fun (and a little sad) with their Pal-entine's Day celebration.

I liked Beverly suddenly approving of Dana, because she was embracing her dark side by going along with her questionable schemes.  I liked Murray's comment to Bev about how she had everything, she was the total package to him.  It was almost odd to see him up walking around.

• Love 8

I thought that was a strong episode.  One of the better college plots, sitcom-y outlandish but not too much.  I liked the Adam plot less, but we can't have everything.

After so many years, I understand that I need to watch out for guest stars who seem highlighted.  I'm terrible with faces but always excited to get the cue from the show and try to figure out who it is.  This time, Tommy Lee from Mötley Crüe!  That's always fun for me.

At the risk of taking things too seriously, I would've loved it if the JTP "date night" didn't culminate in "damn, we all need girlfriends."  They have always been a bright spot in this show and I think it could've been played sincerely.  I am not sure this show has more than another season left, and I selfishly hope they'll spin off with a Golden Girls setup.  😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought that was a strong episode.  One of the better college plots, sitcom-y outlandish but not too much.  I liked the Adam plot less, but we can't have everything.

I agree, but I thought that for an Adam plot, it was better than usual.

• Love 3

I love that Bev has started liking Dana now that she is showing a dark side. "I love this look on you!" That was a pretty fun episode, even though I am glad that Barry and the teacher didnt end up staying together. Even if dating a student isnt actually against the rules, just "frowned upon" its still super messy and ethically sketchy, and I guess the whole plot existed to show us more that Barry is maybe smart enough to buy as a doctor. 

Pal-Intines Day with the JTP! I would totally watch a whole episode thats just the JTP going about their day and having hijinks. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

After so many years, I understand that I need to watch out for guest stars who seem highlighted.  I'm terrible with faces but always excited to get the cue from the show and try to figure out who it is.  This time, Tommy Lee from Mötley Crüe!  That's always fun for me.

OMG, that's who that was!  I knew it was someone I should know, but I couldn't figure it out.

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Pal-Intines Day with the JTP! I would totally watch a whole episode thats just the JTP going about their day and having hijinks. 

Totally.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Even if dating a student isnt actually against the rules, just "frowned upon" its still super messy and ethically sketchy

It's frowned upon today but go back 50 years or more and it was incredibly common, from what I understand (on the college level).  Back in the Goldbergs 80s it probably wasn't against the rules.  But flash forward to today and I bet that same school now has rules against it in place.   It's interesting to see how we view things differently over time, and according to the culture.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2020 at 2:06 PM, rmontro said:

It's frowned upon today but go back 50 years or more and it was incredibly common, from what I understand (on the college level).  Back in the Goldbergs 80s it probably wasn't against the rules.  But flash forward to today and I bet that same school now has rules against it in place.   It's interesting to see how we view things differently over time, and according to the culture.

It was against the rules in most schools I knew about in the 80s, too. I think you'll have to go back further than that. I can remember several college professors in the 80s getting suspended, and sometimes altogether fired, for dating students. The only ones that got away with it were the ones who were dating students they didn't have classes with. That was the gray area. 

• Love 2

I found that episode completely cringeworthy.  First of all, Adam was making headway with the girl, so we all know he knew better than to think having Dave Kim's house destroyed by a party was the way to her heart.  And the way he was talking to her throughout like an idiot made no sense when he was already getting to know her.  And the Bev story was stupid too, and of course it wrapped up perfectly in moments.  

• Love 4

Personally I loved the episode.  I didn't mind Beverly's storyline because I find the guy from her publisher quite funny, and any annoyance I might usually feel with Adam was washed away by Dave Kim's awesomeness.  And Johnny Atkins hiding under the table with them was hysterical.

Plus, real Dave Kim realizing his parents were probably going to watch the episode and find out about the epic party he once threw when they were away was great.

• Love 11

The book guy has to be the voice of the Progressive box, yes?  Because that’s all I heard whenever he spoke.

I snort-laughed when he said he did a tracheotomy “and he didn’t even need one” and nearly choked.  The irony!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, alexa said:

we all know he knew better than to think having Dave Kim's house destroyed by a party was the way to her heart.

Well, better to have Dave Kim's house destroyed than his own, I guess.  I know it's kind of dumb, but I get a kick out of the way Adam uses full names when talking to and about his peers.

2 hours ago, xander874 said:

I feel like we’ve had an episode where Adam tells Gramps he doesn’t need him and then comes back groveling later before.

I think we've had it more than once.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The book guy has to be the voice of the Progressive box, yes?  Because that’s all I heard whenever he spoke.

Yeah, that's Chris Parnell, probably most well known for his Saturday Night Live days.  He's also currently the voice of Jerry on Rick and Morty.

• Love 5

Real Dave Kim! And real Dave Kim is about to get busted! 

Of course Bev goes mad with power after getting only the mildest of local success. I like her publisher, he cracks me up. 

"My nightmare used to be that I would become my mother..."

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, rmontro said:
14 hours ago, xander874 said:

I feel like we’ve had an episode where Adam tells Gramps he doesn’t need him and then comes back groveling later before.

I think we've had it more than once.

That's my biggest complaint with this show, they keep doing basically the same plot over and over.

• Love 9
On 2/20/2020 at 7:20 PM, mojoween said:

I snort-laughed when he said he did a tracheotomy “and he didn’t even need one” and nearly choked.  The irony!

That is Chris Parnell, he is the Progressive box and him doing a needless tracheotomy is exactly what his character on 30 Rock would have done.

11 hours ago, lh25 said:

That's my biggest complaint with this show, they keep doing basically the same plot over and over.

I can probably count on two hands the amount of times someone calls out Beverly’s smothering, a guilt trip happens followed by an apology in a season.  I still watch for the nostalgia aspect and side characters (JTP!) but when it revolves the family, it has become pretty paint by numbers.

• Love 4