Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Steve Guttenberg was Adam's teacher with the glasses.  I can't get over how old he looked.

That's what I noticed too. At first glance I thought it was Pops. They kinda look like they could be related.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, rmontro said:

Remember that time when the wind blew over the trash can, and Adam had to go out there and pick it back up?  

That's probably the plot for next week  🙂

Pretty sure they're saving that one for the series finale. 

• Love 5
On 11/2/2019 at 2:15 PM, rmontro said:

The only question is what movie will they tie it to?

The Garbage Pail Kids movie? Have they already done that? I noticed Adam had a GPK shirt on.

I was enjoying this episode for most part until they pulled out the old "one person offends another person and apoligizes" trope. Lord, do they have a white board with that on it and they just fill it in each week like MadLibs? It's frustrating because they could've gone different places with the ghost story, but turned it into a Murray/Bev standard plot.

Adam is a junior, so I assume they want to get one more season out of the show and have him graduate. I'm not sure I can take another season and a half of this. I'd rather just watch the far superior first couple of seasons if I want a retread.

• Love 5

Did Murray think he was going to get away with scalped tickets? In real life, they would have double checked everyone's ticket.  I know Murray is not college smart., but that was pretty stupid. No, Pops, it is not a life and death situation. They could have watched it on TV. 

I used to watch Wrestlemania in the late 80s and most of the 90s growing up, but mostly watching on TV or Pay PerView then. I knew a neighborhood kid that went to Wrestlemania all the time. True story. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

So the college is just cool with Geoff living in Erica's dorm room and following her everywhere?

My college didn't care.  We could have friends, relatives, significant others, whatever, stay in the dorm all the time and no one said a thing as long as your roommate didn't complain.  We were all adults.

While I admit it wasn't the best ever Halloween episode, I enjoyed it.  Barry's enthusiasm for Rocky Horror while having no idea what it was, Barry Bostwick's "Damn it, Janet!", Adam and Murray saying butts - all that amused me.

I knew it was going to be Jane who'd thrown the rock at her windshield to try and frame Beverly.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

Normally the smothering Beverly does offsets how awful Erica, Barry and Adam are but man how awful Barry and Adam were to Murray really hit me in the feels. To this day I wish my dad would have done something like that (or any sporting event or concert, or anything in the nosebleeds) with me. I would have been confused because like Murray he was (and still is) very much a come home and watch TV type of person I would have never considered ditching him.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Normally the smothering Beverly does offsets how awful Erica, Barry and Adam are but man how awful Barry and Adam were to Murray really hit me in the feels.

Yeah, they were terrible to Murray.  If they wanted to ditch Beverly I could almost understand it, because she would be intrusive.  But Murray's not going to be like that, he'll just sit there and watch.  I couldn't figure out why they wanted to ditch him, it didn't make any sense.  Except, of course, to do the usual "we were mean to our parent, but now we learned to appreciate him" bit.  Except this time it was Murray instead of Bev.

• Love 5

I could hardly focus on anything because I was obsessed with the Chairy in the basement.  I always wanted one of those.

Geoff’s perpetual flabbergasted-ness of Beverly’s machinations will always make me laugh.  He plays it so well.  I don’t think I knew that the small brown-haired lady was his mom, have we seen her with his dad before?

• Love 7
On 11/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, mojoween said:

I don’t think I knew that the small brown-haired lady was his mom, have we seen her with his dad before?

We definitely have been told that Mindy Sterling plays Geoff's mom and they have interacted. Although those scenes are rare; many of the "yenta" scenes don't mention that connection - even when Geoff was there. I assume at some point we saw both parents together, but honestly can't cite an example.

I liked the Neighborhood Watch portion of the episode, although Erica's constant complaining got old.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, xander874 said:

assume at some point we saw both parents together, but honestly can't cite an example.

I believe they have been in more than one but they were both definitely in the episode where Lou and Bev try to out Hanukkah each other because Geoff and Erica are dating and they both want to be the house they visit on holidays.

Looking at IMDb to confirm Mindy was in that I learned that the actors who play Lou and Geoff are also father and son in real life. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Looking at IMDb to confirm Mindy was in that I learned that the actors who play Lou and Geoff are also father and son in real life. 

I didn't know that. I always wondered why Sam Lerner had so many Instagram pictures with the guy who played his dad. Guess I never noticed his last name was the same!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, xander874 said:

I didn't know that. I always wondered why Sam Lerner had so many Instagram pictures with the guy who played his dad. Guess I never noticed his last name was the same!

Fun fact: Ken Lerner (his dad) was my acting teacher sub in a class I took a few months ago. I was the only one who recognized him from The Goldbergs and complimented Sam as well. He was so excited that on our break he called a very confused Sam and forced him to say hi to me lol. It was awkward but sweet. They're both lovely men! 

• Love 19

Uncle Marvin really did lose a ton of weight, I hope he is alright! 

Planes, trains, and automobiles indeed! Murrays dad really is a piece of work, and while its nice that they had something of a break through, I wouldn't have blamed Bev for kicking him out. Being nervous isnt an excuse to be a total jerk to people who are trying to be nice. 

Adam fainting when his grandpa fell down the stairs was so specific, I knew that it had to be based on a real thing that happened!

• Love 7

Nothing wrong with weight loss, but he looked really tiny next to Barry and Erica. I know he is not tall, but his eyes looked like he was on something. There was something unnatural about his skin color here compared to other seasons. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 4

It is strange because my hubby is watching yesterday’s “The Walking Dead” and I happened to look up and Marvin is on it, but he looks like Marvin used to, and not Marvin now.

Murray and Pop Pop making up with an ever-increasing litany of insults was funny.

• Love 7

I found this:  https://hollywoodlife.com/2019/11/23/dan-fogler-drops-100-pounds-before-after-pics/

...“Hello, this is a wake up call for all my concerned fans who have oh so subtly voiced their concerns about my health & weight loss recently,” he began. “When I turned 40, this formally fat guy’s metabolism slowed the f**k down so I couldn’t digest all the greezy fried cheesy sugary deliciousness as quickly as I could in my youth.” That realization inspired the actor and comedian to “make life changes” or he would eventually have to face the possibilities of being diagnosed with diseases associated with being overweight like diabetes...

“So what did I do? I stopped eating PROCESSED foods that I couldn’t digest quickly. Anything with a wrapper with more than 3 ingredients that you can’t spell is probably bad for you.”

The Goldbergs star, who is currently in pre-production with the upcoming Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them 3, also did intermittent fasting and practiced karate as a way to shed the pounds that took two years to drop.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I've had The Goldbergs running on Hulu in the background and just got to the first episode with Roommate Ericka. No matter how this season goes, retconning her off the canvas this season was long overdue. I do not miss her one bit.

• Love 8

Did it seem like Hayley was leaning HEAVILY into the Philadelphia accent right at the end of the story in the end tag. The "Onnne Hunnndred yards" really felt like it was coming from the front patio of Geno's.

I hadn't heard that from Erica or really any of the characters' before. 

Any episode with this much JTP is okay in my book, especially with Matt Bradley's sad little comments about his family, which of course Barry completely ignores.  (Oh, and his thing about how the bullet casing they found in the JTP's JTP rolling on the floor was hilarious.)  So I'm willing to ignore the fact that Erica couldn't just have her boyfriend move into her dorm room.

Plus, Beverly's increasingly complicated stories about how various ancestors died were quite funny.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8
On 12/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, jmonique said:

Geoff can't just move into a dorm room, but OK, Goldbergs.

I wish that I could not definitively say that the story was easily accurate based on my own experience. My freshman year roommate’s boyfriend drove her out from NYC after he dropped out of college and stayed in our room through March. He even became friends with someone in the dining hall so got free meals. Lucky our room was two ginormous rooms and our third roommate had dropped out from after fall term.

Luckily she dumped him over spring break and we continue to be close.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

That episode was actually a lot funnier to me than the last few episodes, probably because we got so much JTP, and with Barry moving in with them, it means even more JTP! JTP! Poor Matt Bradley, can someone check on him?! His smile hides such sadness! 

Oh Bev, maybe go a little lighter on the ethnic cleansing and horse stomping on the next cookbook? The increasingly horrible fates befalling their ancestors was darkly hilarious, and I love that Bev finally got her cookbook published due to fan support from the show! Awww, dreams do come true! "Your people have suffered so much!" 

So, can Geoff just live on campus despite not being a student? Maybe this will convinced him to enroll? 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I wish that I could not definitively say that the story was easily accurate based on my own experience. My freshman year roommate’s boyfriend who drove her out from NYC after he dropped out of college and stayed in or room through March. He even became friends with someone in the dining hall so got free meals. Lucky are room was two ginormous rooms and our third roommate had dropped out from after fall term.

Luckily she dumped him over spring break and we continue to be close.

You know, thinking about it, I remember someone in my dorm (not my roommate, thank goodness) whose boyfriend tended to stay for days at a time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

You know, thinking about it, I remember someone in my dorm (not my roommate, thank goodness) whose boyfriend tended to stay for days at a time.

My roommate's BF was basically living there. It wasn't official and I don't think he had a key (it was a loooong time ago), I just remember him being their EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and them having sex under the blankets while I was trying to sleep. So that part I can buy, but if Barry moved out, next time room and board needs to be paid, who's paying for Geoff's side of the room? Because if Erica is still only paying her share, she will be getting a new roommate. In dorm situations it is rarely your choice if/who you live with. 

This was a pretty good ep, one of the best in a while and that is 100% because of the JTP (JTP!) I would me more than happy for The Goldberg's to go away and a JTP spin off to take it's place. I'm pretty much over Adam and Bev and Murray. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Because if Erica is still only paying her share, she will be getting a new roommate. In dorm situations it is rarely your choice if/who you live with. 

She might not get a roommate depends on who needs housing, as I mentioned above one of my roommates dropped out after the first term but we never got another roommate so had a huge triple room and I have friends at other schools who also has similar things happen. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Because if Erica is still only paying her share, she will be getting a new roommate. In dorm situations it is rarely your choice if/who you live with. 

She might not get a roommate depends on who needs housing, as I mentioned above one of my roommates dropped out after the first term but we never got another roommate so had a huge triple room and I have friends at other schools who also has similar things happen. 

I'm jealous! When mine left at the end of the trimester (went to a school with trimesters instead of semesters) a new one popped up at the start of the next. I had a friend who had a room to himself, but that was because he paid extra for the privileged. 

I'd guess that Geoff is paying Barry's share, and Barry is still "officially" Erica's dorm mate.

Maybe they'll do a Three's Company style plot in a future episode where Geoff has to convince some school official that he's Barry so he can keep living there.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I'd guess that Geoff is paying Barry's share, and Barry is still "officially" Erica's dorm mate.

If this was in real life they wouldn’t tell the school because like a lot of private schools UPenn requires all first year students to live on campus and obviously wouldn’t take a check from Geoff.

Edited by biakbiak
On 12/6/2019 at 9:59 PM, biakbiak said:

If this was in real life they wouldn’t tell the school because like a lot of private schools UPenn requires all first year students to live on campus and obviously wouldn’t take a check from Geoff.

Right, they wouldn't tell the school. I'm guessing that Barry (or Murray) is still the one directly paying UPennn for the dorm room, and Barry is still on the books as the one living in the room with Erica, but Geoff is giving Barry money on the side to cover his half of the fees without the school knowing.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I miss the 80s, when It’s A Wonderful Life was in the public domain.....

Seems to me that when something enters the public domain, it should remain there.  Barring some sort of oversight from the original owners.

8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

No way Barry would be forgiven that easily for the shenanigans he pulled on the group. 

I don't know how true to life this portrayal is of the real Barry, but I can't stand his character on this show, or on Schooled.  There's practically nothing likable about him.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Seems to me that when something enters the public domain, it should remain there.  Barring some sort of oversight from the original owners.

NBC purchased the rights years ago; they found the loophole.

• Love 3

Barry is probably the worst character on any comedy I've watched, made 1000 times more irritating by the show's assumption that the audience finds his perpetual tantrums and asshole behavior hilarious and endearing. He's just.......next level grating. Is it because the actor sucks or because they think that's actually appealing? He's constantly terrible and inconsiderate to everyone.

4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't know how true to life this portrayal is of the real Barry, but I can't stand his character on this show, or on Schooled.  There's practically nothing likable about him.

Exactly! The only way it makes sense that he's back with Lainey in Schooled is as an example of well-adjusted women wasting years of their lives on subpar men. 

As much as I adore Geoff, it's time for the writers to give him something to do beyond being the World's Most Perfect Boyfriend and Erica's live-in babysitter. His joy at being in the family photo was charming as hell, making Erica's attempts to sabotage him seem that much more douchey. Geoff is what the writers think Barry is. 

• Love 9

I am just so over Barry at this point, especially now that we have to see him from time to time on Schooled as well. He really is a crappy friend, the JTP seem better off without him and his inconsiderate, asshole behavior. We all know that, even as he almost learns a lesson this week, it will all be forgotten this week, because this franchise is convinced that he is hilarious and endearing, and not annoying and obnoxious. Poor Matt Bradley. 

Geoff is great as always, but I hope that soon we can see him sort of get his life back on track. All he seems to have going for him now is Erica, no wonder he wants to be a part of every aspect of her life so much. 

Oh Pops, you tried. Those pictures certainly are...a lot. "They're like yearbook photos at an insane asylum." 

• Love 5