Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I was doing so well in this tournament until the finals.  I blanked on today's FJ as well.  But I did get Nevada and Patagonian Desert.  

Good games by all three, though.

Are we finished with new games?

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1

That was a good game.

I got Gulliver’s Travels right away - almost second guessed myself with Robinson Crusoe (with all the descriptions of the travel issues)- and went back to Gulliver’s Travels in the end. 

• Love 5
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

usually root for people from New York. But I can't stand Meggie. Too bubbly, too stylish (if you can call it that) and way too in love with the sound of her own voice.

I am with you here.  I could not stand Ben or Meggie.  Both were incredibly good players, but the antics got to me. ( anytime anyone does little Austin Roger's posing etc.will instantly make me hope for their loss) I also found Ben's super shoe polish black hair distracting..so I was rooting for Will during this game. Gosh I know this is shallow...but jeopardy has been a needed distraction this week so the little things been bothering me.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't know when Alex's voice overs were done but one of them said there would be a new game on Monday.

• Love 1

That part, at least on my broadcast, was not a voiceover, but part of his regular end of episode comments.  So I'm not sure about new episodes.  I'm hopeful though.  If they do have to repeat though, I'd rather see more classic episodes versus just re-running this season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

My cable guide shows new episodes next week and the following week reruns called Big Wins, Big Champions: On Their Way to the Tournament of Champions. About 2 weeks is a far as I can look ahead.

• Love 4

I had to read the archive, because my station is airing game one (which was preempted here) tonight and planning to air game two tomorrow, I assume.  I didn't feel like waiting. 

I wanted Meggie to win.  Boo, hiss.  Good Teacher's Tournament this year, though; good clues and good contestants.

My heart just wasn't in the game tonight, and neither was my head.  I ran only one category (words coined in the '20s) and I just shrugged at so many clues I may have actually missed more than I got (I'm not going to count; the day has been depressing enough).  I did get FJ, though.

8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I had no idea for Final Jeopardy.  I can tell you exactly one thing about Lawrence of Arabia, and it's the famous shot of Omar Sharif riding a camel out of the distance.  It's one of those films that I feel like I should see, but it's so long that you really have to make a commitment to watching it.  Plus I'm told it's the kind of thing you really need to see on the big screen to get the full effect.

Lawrence of Arabia is on TCM tomorrow night.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

All I could think of was Steve McQueen (the original, not the current one), but I knew that he was crashing motorcycles on film in the 1960s (LOVE The Great Escape!), so I knew it wasn't him, but I just couldn't come up with ANYone else who died in a motorcycle crash.  Seems crazy, but there you have it.  I actually just learned from this game that (TE) Lawrence of Arabia died in a motorcycle crash.

Oh Me too!  "The Great Escape" is another of my all-time favorite movies!  (Could have something to do with the fact that my Father was a POW in that actual camp that the movie was about!)  Steve McQueen's motorcycle jump over the barbed wire fence is a great scene!  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Me too!  "The Great Escape" is another of my all-time favorite movies!  (Could have something to do with the fact that my Father was a POW in that actual camp that the movie was about!)  Steve McQueen's motorcycle jump over the barbed wire fence is a great scene!  

Connections like that make a movie special, even though they're already pretty great.   I have a connection like that to "The Sound of Music." (mileage varies on whether that one's great)

• Love 1

My dad, as a child, is in the extended version of How the West Was Won, in the buffalo stampede scene.  It's amazing how many regular people end up in big crowd scenes in movies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Me too!  "The Great Escape" is another of my all-time favorite movies!  (Could have something to do with the fact that my Father was a POW in that actual camp that the movie was about!)  

So was my dad! He was a Polish fighter pilot in the RAF. In the camp he helped the escape by sewing German uniforms. He also said that all the slats from his bed were taken to make the tunnels. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I read that J! has enough new games to last until Jun 12, so 1 more week of new games then that's that. Even if they could start taping again, they probably won't, at least not airing them this summer (i.e. if they start taping again, it would be for the Season 37 shows).

• Useful 2
On 6/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, Trey said:

I am 4/4 on FJs so far.  Could this be the week I finally get 5/5?  Did I just jinx myself?

From my post on Thursday's game.

Yes, I did jinx myself. So, no 5/5 for me. I should have known it was Gulliver's Travels - I knew about the four reasons for his travels but my mind didn't even go there.  I chose Billy Budd (about 170 years too late) or Robinson Crusoe (only 7 years too early).

Ah, well. It was a good tournament and I enjoyed it.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, Ailianna said:

That part, at least on my broadcast, was not a voiceover, but part of his regular end of episode comments.  So I'm not sure about new episodes.  I'm hopeful though.  If they do have to repeat though, I'd rather see more classic episodes versus just re-running this season.

Don't they usually rerun tournaments in the summer anyway? I figured that would be happening soon enough.

Happy to see that Ben won, but would have been happy with Meggie too. All three seemed genuinely thrilled to be there and friendly to each other. 

Lawrence of Arabia is on TCM tomorrow night.

So I get to hate Comcast all over again, since they moved TCM off our service tier and paired it with some upcharged sports package (sure, that's logical). I miss that channel. 

• Love 2
On 6/6/2020 at 11:26 AM, peeayebee said:

So was my dad! He was a Polish fighter pilot in the RAF. In the camp he helped the escape by sewing German uniforms. He also said that all the slats from his bed were taken to make the tunnels. 

So interesting to know what our parents' generation went through.  My Dad was a "look-out" to let the diggers know when the Germans' were coming thru to inspect things...

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Instaget FJ tonight, and interesting in light of current events.  I really couldn't do the math for King's age and the date of the premier, but it was the only movie that made sense to me.

Lots of TS tonight, especially compared with the Teachers' Tournament last week!  I got cubic feet, Roll Over Beethoven, Unger and Madison, nacre, and Children Of A Lesser God.  Doing lots of crossword puzzles gave me nacre.

• Love 3

I didn't get FJ.  I know MLK is MLK Jr, but I was thinking his son, so I was in the totally wrong time period.  I still don't know that I would have gotten it, though, because I was trying to think of a Black positive movie.

I got the TS of Richard and Unger/Madison.

I got the entire category of font right.

• Love 1

It was a totally what the heck, maybe guess but I got FJ.  I figured since he was born in Atlanta it was a possibility. 

i was surprised no one knew Madison and Unger. 

• Love 2

Well, my thought process for FJ was when was MLK born --> he was the same age as Anne Frank --> WWII --> Casablanca. I didn't think it was right, but once I was so far off-base, it was hard to get back on track!

• Love 2

It wasn’t a great first round, but DJ was better. I knew copper, Roll Over, Beethoven, Massachusetts (rewatched Glory on Memorial Day weekend), Unger/ Madison, nacre, and Children of a Lesser God.

For FJ, I knew MLK was in his late 30s when he died in 1968, so I did some quick math. A lot of great movies came out in 1939, but GWTW was the only one I thought would have a gospel choir at its premier for some reason. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It wasn’t a great first round, but DJ was better. I knew copper, Roll Over, Beethoven, Massachusetts (rewatched Glory on Memorial Day weekend), Unger/ Madison, nacre, and Children of a Lesser God.

For FJ, I knew MLK was in his late 30s when he died in 1968, so I did some quick math. A lot of great movies came out in 1939, but GWTW was the only one I thought would have a gospel choir at its premier for some reason. 

I tried to work out the math, but GWTW just seemed so wrong for the whole situation.  It was the only semi-reasonable guess I could have come up with, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Doing lots of crossword puzzles gave me nacre.

Doing lots of anagram puzzles got me nacre. :-)

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

i was surprised no one knew Madison and Unger. 

Sadly, I could only remember Madison.

FJ=instaget

Here's some information about the premiere from this site:

The church choir at Ebenezer Baptist Church (where Martin Luther King, Sr. preached) was the only black church in Atlanta willing to perform at the premiere of 1939’s Gone with the Wind, as Atlanta city officials wanted the performers to dress as slaves and sing spirituals. Incredibly, Hattie McDaniel (who won an Oscar for her performance in the film) was not invited to the Atlanta premiere due to the color of her skin.

smh

I can't believe the Santa Maria was a TS, because I can't believe when the first contestant picked the wrong one, no one rang in guessing one of the other two. 

Lots of TS tonight, several of which surprised me:  copper, Richard, roll over, Madison and Unger, Children of a Lesser God.

My FJ response was, "Oh my gods, Gone With the Wind?  It's Gone With the Wind, isn't it?"  Yikes.

I think I missed three in each round, so being in a better state of mind than I was Friday resulted in a much better performance.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I still don't know that I would have gotten it, though, because I was trying to think of a Black positive movie.

I was thinking more ironic negative and said Birth of a Nation. Of course that was way too early.

I wonder if the remaining Rock and Roll clue was for Adele's Rolling in the Deep.

For TSs, Idris Elba, Unger and Madison, and Children of a Lesser God.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, forumfish said:

Having a sister who watches JTV every night gave me nacre.

FYI Boston Jeopardy fans the show will be on at 7:00 instead of 7:30 today.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't believe the Santa Maria was a TS, because I can't believe when the first contestant picked the wrong one, no one rang in guessing one of the other two. 

Lots of TS tonight, several of which surprised me:  copper, Richard, roll over, Madison and Unger, Children of a Lesser God.

My FJ response was, "Oh my gods, Gone With the Wind?  It's Gone With the Wind, isn't it?"  Yikes.

I think I missed three in each round, so being in a better state of mind than I was Friday resulted in a much better performance.

I can believe neither of the other two rang in for the Santa Maria clue — if you ring in and pick the other wrong one, then not only have you lost money, you’ve given your opponent money. I wouldn’t have rung in, either, since I didn’t know the answer.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I can believe neither of the other two rang in for the Santa Maria clue — if you ring in and pick the other wrong one, then not only have you lost money, you’ve given your opponent money. I wouldn’t have rung in, either, since I didn’t know the answer.

Yep.  I said Pinta and I would not have rung in.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

My thoughts exactly!

My ts's were Roll Over Beethoven, Madison & Unger (a joint effort between DH and me), nacre, and Children of a Lesser God.

Felt so stupid for not getting Richard (three kings with this name).

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I cannot forget Felix Unger because of the movie - when he left a note for Oscar and signed it F.U. and Oscar didn't realize those were his initials.

It's almost as if Neil Simon gave him that name just so that he could make that joke. 😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I still don't know that I would have gotten it, though, because I was trying to think of a Black positive movie.

Yeah, that's what tripped me up when I finally managed the math.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was thinking more ironic negative and said Birth of a Nation. Of course that was way too early.

It certainly came to mind. 

2 hours ago, Trey said:

Me too, especially since my husband, the self avowed "ignorant of all royal history" got it.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

When the answer was revealed, my mother said "There have only been 3 Richards?!!" I then pointed out that there have only been 2 named Charles (thank you Tony awards, for letting me know that there is a recent play called "King Charles III", a reference to the current Prince Charles)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For TSs, Idris Elba, Unger and Madison, and Children of a Lesser God.

Is it wrong that I said (mentally) "Who is [yum] Idris Elba?"

4 hours ago, illdoc said:

When the answer was revealed, my mother said "There have only been 3 Richards?!!" I then pointed out that there have only been 2 named Charles (thank you Tony awards, for letting me know that there is a recent play called "King Charles III", a reference to the current Prince Charles)

It's because they had a lot of Henry's, but mixed in some others, unlike the French king who got stuck on Louis.  People forget how many Henrys it takes to get to Henry VIII.  (Not literally, but in thinking about just how much of English history is under guys called Henry.)  And a lot of the non-Henry's actually had older siblings called Henry who died before ascending the throne (like Richard I and John, whose older brother Henry "the Young King" died before their father).  

I also take exception with Alex saying that Richard III is the most well known--among Shakespeare fans, maybe, but I'd guess a LOT more people remember Richard Lionheart (even if they aren't sure exactly who he was or what he did; he's in Robin Hood!  He has a cool nickname!).

• Love 7
(edited)

FJ was an instaget

I got the TS of fence, crochet, Moonstruck, Man on the Moon (after having said in, so if I'd buzzed first I'd have been wrong), JOhnny Carson (before any wrong answers) and Carribbean.

I got the entire category of Hungary wrong.  I knew Magyar, I just couldn't think of it. I also probably would have gotten Ottoman, but on some of those longer clue crew questions, since it's not shown, I've forgotten the beginning by the time they get to the end.  I got the entire partial categories of cansplaining, middle names and plain truth right.

Edited by Katy M
(edited)

I got crochet, as I was sitting here crocheting.

And because I was crocheting I wasn't looking at the TV a lot so I wondered why they had a weird category called Marky Moon!

IMG_1300(1).jpg

Edited by dgpolo
smaller pic
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I knew I was sunk for FJ as soon as I saw the category.  And I was right about that!  I picked the most obscure president I could think of -- Millard Fillmore.  I did a report on him once upon a time, and all I even remember about him is that he was the 13th President.  

But I did get a lot of the TS, including fence, crochet, Moonstruck, Man On The Moon, Breathing Lessons and Accidental Tourist, Johnny Carson, and Caribbean.  I felt old (and sad!) that none of them knew Johnny.  Colombian led me to Caribbean in that clue.

52 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I got crochet, as I was sitting here crocheting.

And because I was crocheting I wasn't looking at the TV a lot so I wondered why they had a weird category called Marky Moon!

IMG_1300(1).jpg

It's Marky Mark's brother:)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

"Women Artists".  Sigh.

Like last night, quite a few of the TS surprised me:  Johnny Carson, marlin, fence, crochet, Moonstruck, and Man on the Moon (that one probably wouldn't have surprised me if not for Zach cluing them in by almost getting it).

I just knew Judy Chicago was going to be a TS, despite the "Windy City" hint, and was sad to be right.

There were a couple of doozy wrong answers tonight; not a great game.

I had a good one, though; I only missed two in the first round and three in DJ, and I came up with FJ just in time.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew I was sunk for FJ as soon as I saw the category.  And I was right about that!  I picked the most obscure president I could think of -- Millard Fillmore.  

So did I. I figured I was wrong. I couldn't remember much about him, but I was born in Buffalo at Millard Fillmore Hospital, so 'Concord' in the clue made me think I must be wrong.

I got a big chuckle out of that statue being called "Sir, you forgot your scarf!"

For TSs, I got marlin, fence, crochet, Moonstruck, op-art, and Johnny Carson. I should have gotten Caribbean, but my brain farted and I said Mediterranean.

• Love 1