Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E14: Finale

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I like how they announced who won right away instead of sending the losers backstage. They made everyone feel like a winner somewhat by letting everyone stay onstage.

I liked this as well.  I was a little worried they would send Garo offstage and was glad they didn't.

I would have liked to have seen more of the celebration too..

• Love 21

First and foremost, I'm thrilled that Sebastian won, and not Hester. 

Howevah. 

"Garo, you have a great ability to create clothes women want to wear." 

[ten minutes earlier] 

"I think we can eliminate Garo and move on." 

The fuck? Sigh. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, ArtFossil said:

Mine was a small scale print, on a black ground. It was an amazing dress and I wish I still had it.

I had two Von Furstenbergs, one a red/white print and one blue/white.  They fit like nobody's business and looked absolutely great on.  Have to say that I tried to get my sister-in-law to get one, and it didn't fit her at all, just wrong.  That thing defined a classic.  I still have my red one, but wouldn't have the nerve to put it on today.  

DvF never designed a single thing later that could match it, but she earned her place in history.

(Sorry to cut into the cheers about the winner - I agree!)  

• Love 13
(edited)

As soon as they were lined up for final judging, I realized Sebastian had won based on where he was standing. The previews showed Karlie saying “you’re the winner” and she was looking in the direction of where Sebastian was standing. Dead giveaway, but I didn’t mind because I could relax and enjoy the judges’ comments.

Edited by Michichick
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

He made a remark about more designers to come.   I took that to mean next season, but who knows.   Maybe there's something else in the works.  (Sorry - this is in reply to ML89's question).

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I thought they also telegraphed Sebastian’s win a bit when the judges didn’t have any criticism for his show, except that he chose the wrong look to lead with. The other two had more substantive criticism from the judges.

• Love 10

I enjoyed this season and the winner. I liked the judging panel and thought Karli did a great job. Christain ! Wonderful mentor. I hope he is back.

I liked that they only announced the winner of project runway and did not eliminate one person to go down to two finalist.

Weird observation. When Sebastien was announced, designer on the upper row , sitting next to guy in tan jacker, was wildly applauding. She kept looking at the guy sitting with her , gabbing him ( with excitement over Sebastian's win) and he never looked her way. Just kept clapping. As if that is what they were instructed to do. I thought it was odd !

• Love 2

I thought Karli's dress evoked more Garo with the shoulders. 

Thijin really is the best model. Kate really is the worst. Although Hester had one that also didn't have a good walk, while Hester kept praising her walk. 

I wonder if DVB will follow through with her job offer. 

• Love 9

I thought for sure Hester was going to win. I didn't like her personality and I thought many of her designs were ridiculous, but she produced the kind of show that usually appeals to the people who judge these things. In fact, I also found her collection entertaining. But, I'm glad Sebastian won because he creates fashion that can also be worn which, you know, is kind of important if you want to have a career.

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, missyb said:

Weird observation. When Sebastien was announced, designer on the upper row , sitting next to guy in tan jacker, was wildly applauding. She kept looking at the guy sitting with her , gabbing him ( with excitement over Sebastian's win) and he never looked her way. Just kept clapping. As if that is what they were instructed to do. I thought it was odd !

That was Sebastian's best friend and the guy she was grabbing was Sebastian's husband who I think was beaming with pride (and trying to keep his excitement in check and hold it together I think).

• Useful 3
  • Love 11

I'm so relieved Sebastian won. They were trying to fake us out with DVF adoring Hester, and it was making me tense. Would have screamed if he didn't win. 

I didn't dislike her collection though. I'm actually surprised I liked Hester and Garo's collections as much as I did. But I could not at all get over that one outfit of Hester's that literally looks like one of Cher's outfits straight from Clueless, you know the one. Apparently the judges loved it and Hester created a cool print for it and everything, and I'm sorry I couldn't appreciate the innovative things about it, but all I saw was Cher cosplay.

I felt bad for Garo dealing with a Kate disaster. I couldn't really tell from looking at her, but did she really lose so much weight between the regular season and the finale that the dress Garo designed for her had to be altered that much to fit? Or did he just get her measurements wrong? I don't know anything really about modeling, but if she lost a lot of weight such that it would screw up a design built specifically to her measurements, is that a huge modeling fuck up?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I just have to say how it warms my heart and give me the feels to see chyrons saying "Sebastian's husband" "Garo's husband" "Hester's wife" - I know there's still a long way to go - but if you're old like me, did you ever think you'd see that? 

It's truly a beautiful thing!  ❤️

• Love 16

I am so thrilled for Sebastian...

When the judges announced him the winner, there may have been excited hand waving and quiet clapping in the AwesomO house (because hubby had gone to bed already and I didn't want to wake him. : ) )

19 minutes ago, susannot said:

So happy with the winner!!  First time I can remember my favorite and the person I picked from Day One actually won!! 

I think the only other time that happened for me with this show was when Christian and Dmitry won. (Loved me some Dmitry ; ) )

• Love 17

Apparently I can't stop posting about this season's outcome, I'm so thrilled with it!   So many times I've been disappointed or even outraged, that this feels really really good.  

I wasn't watching during Christian's season; could someone please give me a quick synopsis of his designs that year?   Was his win a popular decision?   He seems like such a nice guy.   I love the vibe of this year's 'cast':  Christian, Karlie, Brandon, Elaine.   Even Nina!

• Love 6

Very happy Sebastian won- his collection was beautiful. Hester put on a show but the judges even said her skills are about accessories and wigs. When you take the pieces apart you get tutus and plaid skirts. Garo’s was nice too but not as beautiful as Sebastian’s. Great finale!

• Love 22

Also, I didn't notice Tessa among the group of eliminated contestants who showed up for the runway show. I think I spotted everyone else there but her. Was she there?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, bombast said:

Finally, Good triumphs over Evil.

I love this comment.   It sums up so many previous seasons vs. this one.  ✌️

3 minutes ago, Plums said:

Also, I didn't notice Tessa among the group of eliminated contestants who showed up for the runway show. I think I spotted everyone else there but her. Was she there?

Hee.   I forgot to even look for her.   She was probably off sulking somewhere.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I just have to say how it warms my heart and give me the feels to see chyrons saying "Sebastian's husband" "Garo's husband" "Hester's wife" - I know there's still a long way to go - but if you're old like me, did you ever think you'd see that? 

Amen. Big time. 

• Love 14
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Plums said:

Also, I didn't notice Tessa among the group of eliminated contestants who showed up for the runway show. I think I spotted everyone else there but her. 

She was there, second from left in the front row, sitting between Jamal and Afa.

ETA: Oops, she was on set during the announcement of the winner, not sure if she was at the show.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

How did it go from Garo wanting all the plus-sized models because his clothes looked better on them, to having two fuller models in his show?

Also, beyond thrilled with Sebastian’s win, but was surprised by how much I enjoyed Hester’s show (which is what it was- not a collection).

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Plums said:

She was there for the announcement of the winners, I saw her there. 

• Love 2

It's so enjoyable to come here and celebrate together after such a welcome outcome.   So many times we've come together after the finale to throw virtual barware (sorry; a GH reference) because we've hated the judges' decision so much,   I think Karlie and Christian are valuable assets to Project Runway.

• Love 17
(edited)

So glad to see that Sebastian won.... I came here while watching the final judging since the edit Hester's show was getting had me really worried. 

I liked her opening outfit in the outrageous sort of way... but it didn't fit with the outfits that came next and those stupid cone bra looks were terrible. Hester has made very little this season that I found tolerable and while her runway wasn't terrible, did Christian again give her big advice to make her looks better?? (I didn't watch closely until the runway due to multitasking) As others have said, she put on a show, but it didn't seem like a collection.

I enjoyed Garo's looks, and with some fixes to the zipper issues, i would have been fine with him being the winner. The fabrics was great... and I personally like the structure of corsets, so his take on that is always interesting. 

Sebastian's collection was definitely the most polished and it looked expensive. I'm very happy to see him win. His looks made sense and were something people could wear, but also they were just pretty :) 

I could have done with less Hester and Tessa for the season, but overall this was a vast improvement from where PR was... the judges weren't always on, but it didn't seem as rigged as some other seasons did. I'll be in for another season!

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 16

Before the final episode: "This season sucks! It's so fixed for Hester to win!"
After the final episode: "Yay Sebastian! Best season ever!"

Honestly, out of all those collections, if I had money and cared about clothes, I would have chosen Garo's to wear. I love me a corseted look and I love me some Lurex. At least Hester gave a nod to the inspiration from Clueless. Sebastian's collection was very Edgy Ladies who Lunch to me so I didn't feel it but to be fair, I dress like grunge never died. I'm basically a poster child of Before looks from What Not to Wear so clearly I'm an expert on this fashion thing.  

• LOL 16
  • Love 5
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Apparently I can't stop posting about this season's outcome, I'm so thrilled with it!   So many times I've been disappointed or even outraged, that this feels really really good.  

I wasn't watching during Christian's season; could someone please give me a quick synopsis of his designs that year?   Was his win a popular decision?   He seems like such a nice guy.   I love the vibe of this year's 'cast':  Christian, Karlie, Brandon, Elaine.   Even Nina!

Christian's win is my favorite win and favorite moment ever in the history of the show. I would say his win was a bit controversial because some people felt that Jillian Lewis created a more wearable collection, but Christian's was beautiful and dramatic.

During the season he had some missteps, but he had obvious raw talent and could sew like the wind. Tim Gunn really saw something in him and I believe he said he was a true prodigy. 

I must've watched him being announced winner on YouTube every day for a week afterwards - he was full of bravado during the season and in his talking heads, but when it came down to the finale, he was trembling and broke down when he was pronounced the winner. Everyone from Heidi, Michael Kors, Nina, and Tim Gunn to his model Lisa seemed genuinely thrilled. 

I can't find a decent quality video of his win, but here is his finale collection:

Edited by Gothish520
  • Useful 5
  • Love 17
(edited)

Last week, the guest judge said that Sebastian's mini collection was ready for Fashion Week and Elaine - Elaine! - said his skill level was a cut above.  This week, they had virtually no criticism for his full collection, except they questioned his choice for the first design down the runway.  (That's like saying why watch Godfather 1 first when Godfather 2 is better.  Apples and oranges, people!  It's all good.)  I've come to think their harping on his lack of a "story" for his designs was because they literally had nothing to criticize in the clothes themselves, and this was like that.

I've thought he was clearly so much better than the other designers from Week 1 and that opinion has never changed for me.  If he hadn't won, I would've had to wash my hands of what would be an entirely nonsensical fashion world.

As to Garo and Hester, I did like some of Garo's designs and, surprisingly, some pieces in Hester's collection.  (My order would've been Sebastian, Garo, Hester.)  But, glory, Hester was getting full of herself, making it to the finale.  That is an accomplishment, yes, but...  I dunno, I personally feel Hester (and the judges) overestimate both her originality and the size of her market.  In an earlier ep, she said she wanted to clothe "the world."  Aside from making me lament that interstellar travel isn't a thing yet, I did roll my eyes at that.  I cannot believe that there is a large market for Hester's designs.  Her designs have always looked more costume-y to me than Garo's, if the judges want to throw that criticism around, as well as junior.

I did love the little talk Christian had with the designers before they left the workroom for the last time.  That is as much warmth and sincerity as I've ever seen from him, and it was a good look.

Was Tessa there with the other eliminated designers?  I missed her if she was.  And whatever happened to Mimi?  She kind of disappeared these last couple eps.

ETA:  Saw Tessa on the rewatch, when they announced the winner.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 18

¡Si! ¡Sebastian! 🎉 🏆 👑 💰

The woven leather matched with the plaited hair,  so much more refined than thigh-high red plastic boots matched with plaid.  The  billowy diaphanous dress,  so much more sophisticated than carrying a Teddy bear. 

No way could Hester and her "Who's Your Daddy?" collection win.

Garo's collection looked like he stole some ideas from Sebastian.  The heretofore ubiquitous corsets were M.I.A., hidden away with the sparkly dress, which should have been in place of the bad-zipper affair.

Great conclusion!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, raven said:

Christian looking a little like a proud papa.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

THANK YOU PROJECT RUNWAY

You guys I screamed and am tearing up over here.

I screamed, too, and scared my cat. And then I burst into tears and scared my husband. 😂

• LOL 13
  • Love 2