Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E14: Finale

• Start Topic

(edited)

I believe Hester mentioned to DVF she designs outfits people can wear to raves? Nobody would wear that shit to a rave (would they?) And raves are still a thing???

Edited by Beaner
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Beaner said:
10 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Watching the clip of Christian’s runway from his season, I’m remembering what a nasty arrogant little asshole he was,in spite of his incredible talent. It’s nice to see that age & success has helped him become a seemingly nicer guy.

Maybe I’m not remembering correctly but I loved him during his season. He made me laugh and I thought he was very endearing just being himself.

Edited by Beaner
  • Love 23
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

His one misstep was the prom challenge where he was asked to make a prom dress for a typical teen girl with an attitude whose vision was not his esthetic and whose figure was not model-thin.  He pouted and did a lousy job.  He has shown a lot of growth since then as he now is known for designing beautiful garments for women of all sizes and shapes.

As I remember it they were both immature and pouty. Clash of the egos!

• Love 13
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hester's designs throughout the season have been very juvenile, derivative, ill fitting, and poorly made aka Hot Topic crap so I was expecting her final collection to look like a clown fucked a rainbow. I was pleasantly surprised that not everything was a neon glitter bomb. Honestly, it looked a lot better than I thought it would.

[standing ovation goes here]

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, raven said:

Seeing the collection I sort of get Hester now.  Still don't like her stuff though.  Cherubs creep me out, can't help it.

My BF watched the runways with me, first he’s seen of the show this season.  His comment about Hester:  Why is she ripping off Japanese street and anime style?   Second comment: Why are the judges acting like Hester's stuff is unique.    I said others have wondered that as well.  

Garo was profoundly bad at time management.  I don’t understand why he didn’t abandon that gown that was too big.  It’s a nice dress, but he had better in his collection.  

Glad that Sebastian won.  His outfits were outstanding.   Nina gave a nice little speech at the end, too.  A well deserved win. 

• Love 13
12 hours ago, violet and green said:

I am also very pleased Diane von Fürstenberg shares my admiration and appreciation for Hester's work and has offered her, informally at least, though very sincerely, a mentorship/work in her fashion house.

Hestor would have to make some significant changes. DvF's wrap dress won’t work well with a Plz Die beret and a teddy bear purse. 

Hester would be better off with Betsy Johnson.  Or Juicy.   Or a website catering to young women who attend anime conventions.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, millennium said:

Did anyone catch Brandon citing Clueless in reference to one of Hester's designs?  LOL

Interestingly, an article stated Alicia Silverstone was/is? to open a vegan cafe on the Rooftop of Christian's atelier, The Curated. (We almost got a classic "As if!" moment between her and Hester)

All kidding aside, Hester showed she deserved to be a finalist; she just couldn't match the two themes of her prints. That's an ironic critique for Hester of all designers.

• LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I normally would agree with you, but in this case I felt it would have been odd if there wasn't any comment made. It tied in so well with an earlier challenge where the judges brought in photographs of significant moments in their lives. Nina's personal story seemed to parallel Sebastian's, and her remarks acknowledged such.

I think if anything, if Sebastian's work was not so exquisite, she might even ding him for not living up to the story he was trying to tell. I even loved what he said about the makeup referencing the indigenous people of Colombia.

I teared up, at any rate, during Nina's comments and Sebastian's reactions.

The comments were lovely and it was nice to see Nina show emotion.  However, I kind of wish she expressed those comments in a different forum or framed them a little differently so her impartiality is never questioned.  However, Sebastian's talent is so obvious that he clearly won on merit alone, but I could see those who were in Hester or Garo's camp calling foul based on her comments.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3

The designers were given "dressers". (I didn't see the movie) Are those people who help get the models into the outfits? If so, where were they for 17 years! That seems like a big aid to a frazzled designer trying to put together a runway.

BTW, Nick Verros' smile should count as another career launched by Proj Run.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I have often wondered if those same ads run in Alabama.

I don't know about Alabama, but - much to my utter amazement - they do run, as regularly and as often as more 'mainstream' ads (if there really is such a thing today) up here in the red boondocks of north central Maine. Whodathunkit!

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

The designers were given "dressers". (I didn't see the movie) Are those people who help get the models into the outfits? If so, where were they for 17 years! That seems like a big aid to a frazzled designer trying to put together a runway.

BTW, Nick Verros' smile should count as another career launched by Proj Run.

...and Hester used hers to dress herself and still her own creation looked bad on her.  She should have stayed with one of her more usual silhouettes for herself and a more resilient fabric since she’d be wearing it for hours rather than just down the runway.  

• Love 5

So glad they didn't eliminate a designer before announcing the winner. No one needs to know that they came in last. Not winning has to be painful enough.

Christian's growth is astonishing. I really thought he was so rude and unpleasant on his season. Age (and maybe success/acceptance) does wonders for some people. 

I think it is possible that Kate lost a noticeable amount of weight. I though Garo had noticeably gained weight in the months leading up to the finale. That dress should have been scrapped.

I was very happy with the outcome, although I didn't see all of the foreshadowings for a Hester win that many here did. (Had she won, I would have been done with PR.) I thought it's been Sebastian's to lose for a long time.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Hester's designs throughout the season have been very juvenile, derivative, ill fitting, and poorly made aka Hot Topic crap so I was expecting her final collection to look like a clown fucked a rainbow.

I was expecting Bozo the Clown meets Frankenhooker, and, other than the first look, it was a lot better than that. I didn't exactly like it (and I don't think there's any piece I could pull out to actually wear), but I was pleasantly surprised.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Thinking about Garo's corsets...sometimes they were a design element, but for at least two of the dresses he sent down the runway (Kate's and the model with the sequin V), they were structural (to hold up strapless dresses).  I think he needed to pick a lane.

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess props to the sneaky editors working in all the various praising of Hester only to have (yay!) Sebastian win.  Though I will say that other than that hideous first look, Hester's collection was better than I was expecting.

Like others I liked that they just announced the winner and left it at that, plus letting all of the final three be in the celebration.

I surprised myself by really liking Christian as a mentor this year.  However, I think he does need to pull back from giving so much very specific advice at times.  I loved his reaction when Garo said he was leaving out the sequin dress.  Rewound that several times 🙂

It was really nice to have pretty much no one to hate and relatively little interpersonal drama.  It was like watching a season of PR: Junior (and I say that with praise, not with mocking).

Overall, a nice change from Lifetime. I just hope Bravo doesn't start returning to the Lifetime bad ways in future seasons.  Guess we'll find out this fall.

Oh yeah -- that One Hanson Place (it's a former bank) was an AMAZING venue.  Way cooler than the usual Fashion Week location (I assume this was not during Fashion Week, since IIRC that was in February).  Which reminds me -- THANK YOU show for giving the finalists months instead of weeks to do their looks.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

What is the general consensus here on Karlie as 'show host'?   I like her, and quite honestly, thought Heidi was getting a little stale.   Karlie seems more warm ...... or something ..... and I love when they pair her up standing right next to Christian.   It's hilariously cute. 

I liked her overall and think she'll improve a lot next season.

The thing I appreciated most about Karlie was how she treated the models like human beings and not nameless mannequins during the up-close critiques, especially when the judges were discussing a design they didn't like. She made a real effort to not malign the models or their bodies and address them by name, and I really appreciate that and attribute it to her own experiences as a model.

• Love 21

I loved the venue!  So beautiful.  Brandon kept bringing up fashion week tents - maybe they can time it to get back to FW.

I liked the way they announced the winner.  I especially liked abandoning the "why should you win and why does everyone else suck?" questions from the previous era.  All 3 made the finale, and Sebastian won.

DVF is always wonderful.  It speaks to the strength of the revival on Bravo to have her as guest judge.  She's got the gravitas baby!

Somebody should go back and count how many times model Kate doomed designers on this show.  Poor Garo was her final victim.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I liked the way they announced the winner.  I especially liked abandoning the "why should you win and why does everyone else suck?" questions from the previous era.  All 3 made the finale, and Sebastian won.

Somebody should go back and count how many times model Kate doomed designers on this show.  Poor Garo was her final victim.

Big Amen to the first paragraph. And your second paragraph? Ha!

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I think Hester was in shock; I got an "I've got this in the bag" vibe from her the whole show.  Her collection belonged in Cirque du Soleil (sp).   YMMV    I am thrilled that Sebastian won; he seemed genuinely appreciative and emotional, and yes, he does embody the American dream.   

I haven't followed the show as closely as some of you, unfortunately,  but I recall numerous seasons when I swore I'd never watch again when the most hideous collection won.   But after this result tonight, I will definitely be back for more! 

Oh, and I love Christian as a mentor.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Sebastian's collection was incredible and showcased his superior tailoring, design and vision. Garo relied on his corseting which was a yawn fest. The last minute sewing and cutting at the venue was indicative of problems for him...like the poorly done zipper, etc. Hester's collection? I'm sorry, who is going to wear that tutu outfit that started the show? How is that commercial? Her stuff is strictly for funky rock performers (I'm thinking  Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande types) or other artists. I can't see regular people wearing her stuff except for maybe the skirt ensemble. It's just too out there weird. Diane Von Furstenberg has gone nuts the way she gushed over Hester's stuff... has she lost sight of her clientele? It's the wrap dress wearers from the 70"s who are now in their late 60's. Don't see that age group parading around in Hester's jester outfits.

• Love 7

Yay for Sebastian! I loved all of the final four designers-this was a great season. I would much rather watch designers be creative than petty, manufactured drama! Loved how kind the final four were to each other.

• Love 4

Great finale. Really good season, I just wish the judges hadn't gone in so much for Hester. Her clothes are for Japanese girls, and...that's about it.

Really gorgeous clothes from Sebastian, glad he's the winner. My husband, who is now an expert on these things, apparently (he called "no edge" in Garo's line way before Garo himself said it!) wanted Sebastian to win from the beginning.

Garo just fizzled, and he'd been tough and go all season. That dress on Kate was really bad. It brought everything down.

Loved Christian as mentor. My favorite would moment would have to have been, "A...farmer??"

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, QuantumMechanic said:

Oh yeah -- that One Hanson Place (it's a former bank) was an AMAZING venue. 

Ah ha, I knew it looked familiar - it was probably a Law & Order location. It was gorgeous and that explains the lights and all the wood. I love how Karli said it like these folks were supposed to know what it was.

49 minutes ago, Merriwind said:

I though Garo had noticeably gained weight in the months leading up to the finale.

I thought so too.

• Love 1

I'm so happy Sebastian won. His whole collection is so gorgeous, and so masterfully done. 

I was so worried they were going to give it to Hester since they were up her ass the whole damn season. And had the show still been on Lifetime, she totally would have won. 

• Love 8

A little late to the party here but I'm thrilled about Sebastian's win. Its been a rare PR winner that combines a heartwarming personal story with exquisite skills and vision. Combine that with a relatively drama-free season and contestants that seemed supportive of each other and it is safe to say that Bravo deserves kudos for this "re-boot."

I love Christian as the mentor. 

• Love 8

I guess props to the sneaky editors working in all the various praising of Hester only to have (yay!) Sebastian win. 

Yeah, I was thinking "this really is the Hester Sunshine show this week".  They showed several more comments from the judges during her show than anyone else's and it seemed like 75% of the talking heads were her, though that may just be because she doesn't seem to stop talking.  I did feel sorry for the makeup person when Hester was giving her direction:  "I want natural, plus matrix eye, plus glitter!"

Note to Hester:  you are not creating a fashion revolution, a revolution would be everyone wanting and wearing your clothes.  You're catering to a very niche market.  Nothing wrong with that and you can likely have some success, but don't think you're going to be dressing the world or expect more than a select following.

To me, Karlie's dress looked like the love child of Sebastian's and Garo's collections.

Regarding the collections:

Hester:  I didn't like any of it.  I can see some girls going for it, but I think anyone over 22 and NOT in a creative field would look pretty ridiculous dressing like that.  Really just not my thing.  The opening outfit with the tutu reminded me of the Bjork swan dress for some reason.

Garo:  I didn't really like his collection, but didn't dislike it.  It was too sparkly, 70's disco for me.  That said, if I were to order a custom dress from any of these 3, I'd order it from him.  He shows real enthusiasm and skill in dressing larger ladies like myself.  I think I could trust him to make me look gorgeous and sexy.

Sebastian:  His collection was, hands down, my favorite.  I could see myself wearing something from just about every look if they made them in my size and budget (both very unlikely).  His stuff just looked elegant and classy.  I'm very glad he won.

• Love 13
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Lesia said:

I stopped watching when it moved to Lifetime, just couldn't follow the schedule. Can someone tell me why it was so bad? 

Casting more for drama than anything else.  Many obnoxious contestants. Judges phoning it in/on crack and/or way more willing to go along with producer manipulation.  Lousy contestants winning.  Constant devaluation of the product -- almost entirely 1-day challenges, only being given something like 6 weeks to make the collection for the final, sponsors bailing (we had JC Penney one year and Belk another year, for example).  Others can chime in more.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, Love2dance said:

But I do have questions about the model selection for the final runway. I don’t get it. Supposedly they arrive to the finale mere days before the runway, with ten or more completed outfits. THEN they choose their models? I don’t believe it.  There is no way most of those outfits could have been altered to fit the bodies of all of their models in just a few days. I fervently believe they were given their models’ measurements before they went home to design the final outfits. One of the designers even hinted to it a little by saying he “hoped” he’d get a certain model for a certain outfit. I don’t see why they had to pretend a whole fake scenario.

Word! I was happy to see the return of the competition for model selection, but it quickly became apparent that it was a sham. If the show was more transparent, i.e. "designers have to make eight looks for 'traditional' tall thin models and two for 'plus size models'" and then have the model selections track that, it would have made more sense.

The reason that most runway models are a specific height (tall) and weight (thin) is that the clothes are made and then the model has to fit into them. Runway looks are not custom clothing for the models. This has definitely led to abuse of runway models in regard to their weight, and I'm not saying that the demand for models to be gaunt is right - it's wrong. But from a practical standpoint, a designer making garments for a runway show needs to have a standard size in which to make the clothes.

10 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

The Bravo folks need to pat themselves on the back for amping up and bringing life back into this show without resorting to sensational tactics that are often seen on some of their other reality shows. 

PS.The venue that the runway show was held in was beyond beautiful.  🤩

Until other posters brought it up in this forum, it didn't occur to me that Bravo might turn PR into The Real Housewives of Project Runway. I'm so glad that they did not! This was a good season.

10 hours ago, anonymiss said:

I was 100% in agreement with DVF. Hester served designer XXI meets XXX and I loved it. It was fresh, fun, fashion-forward, creative. It was a bona fide designer with her own point of view. It was joyfully executed, with every look being a delightful surprise. I can't stand the dime-a-dozen skilled dressmakers doing perfectly pretty clothes I can buy in any department store already. 

I love when DVF waits till the others commit their opinion and all reinforce their group thinking, and then she schools them, reminiscent of when she did it by saying, "Actually, I knew Jackie O. and she would wear this." 

I liked Hester's collection. It was so much better than I thought it might be! On first viewing, I thought the first look was ridiculous and awful - on second, I appreciated it for its out-thereness and, of course, the way that Thijin WORKED IT. High fashion runway looks aren't meant to be ready-to-wear. I ended up loving that look as a message from the designer. That's why, in my opinion, the judges scolded Hester for the poor progression of her looks by deviating so far from the first one in the second.

I also loved that DVF settled in and let the others reach their group conclusion and then blew it up. She owned them with that.

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

Hestor would have to make some significant changes. DvF's wrap dress won’t work well with a Plz Die beret and a teddy bear purse. 

Hester would be better off with Betsy Johnson.  Or Juicy.   Or a website catering to young women who attend anime conventions.  

I don't think the point of being a mentor is to create a mini-me who imitates your work. It is to foster the creativity and vision of the person you serve as a mentor.

And if memory serves, Hester did already have an internship with Betsey Johnson. Enough of that influence on her, imo.

1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

There have always been dressers backstage at the PR fashion shows, iirc. The designers have sometimes taken advantage of them for their personal looks over the years, as they have also used the (insert brand name here) hair salon and (insert brand name here) makeup artists or even the (insert brand name here) accessory wall to get themselves runway ready.😉 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Chippings said:

I had two Von Furstenbergs, one a red/white print and one blue/white.  They fit like nobody's business and looked absolutely great on.  Have to say that I tried to get my sister-in-law to get one, and it didn't fit her at all, just wrong.  That thing defined a classic.  I still have my red one, but wouldn't have the nerve to put it on today.  

DvF never designed a single thing later that could match it, but she earned her place in history.

(Sorry to cut into the cheers about the winner - I agree!)  

For awhile in the ‘70s you could find official DVF wrap-dress sewing patterns and her fabric as well. I had two of her dresses that I purchased and one that I made. I have bitterly regretted, for years, that I didn’t hang on to any of them. 

Hester has been growing on me as a person, although I am about three times too old to consider indulging in her clothing. I was not impressed with most of her work during the competition so was pleasantly surprised that I got a kick out of her collection. But I definitely felt Sebastian’s was the winner. Hester certainly brings a sense of fun, which I enjoy, but Sebastian’s made me ooh and ahh. 

Garo’s stuff is fine but often seems a little stodgy. I guess I don’t love his fabric choices. But I’m glad he’s already established. All three of these designers have tons of talent and they will all do well, I’m sure. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the reboot and I loved the overall absense of manufactured drama, feuds, etc. I loved the camaraderie among the final three. 

I have noticed a lot of comments on Hester’s posture. I suspect she has a touch a scoliosis. God help me, I almost wrote that I have a HUNCH she does, but luckily I caught myself. 😂. If I’m right, she has my sympathy; I have it too and it’s not fun. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Lesia said:

I stopped watching when it moved to Lifetime, just couldn't follow the schedule. Can someone tell me why it was so bad? 

For me, it was the manufactured drama, as another poster said, and the horrible, nonsensical product placement tie-ins (Candy Crush? Yoplait Yogurt? Hallmark cards? Dixie cups? Shopkins toys?). It just robbed the show of any soul.

As far as the finale goes, I would have placed them Sebastian, Hester, Garos. Sebastian was clearly head and shoulders above the other two, but I have to admit I did like Hester's jacket that was just those big furry sleeves held together with the gold chain. I thought that was really fun and innovative.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I don't think the point of being a mentor is to create a mini-me who imitates your work. It is to foster the creativity and vision of the person you serve as a mentor.

And if memory serves, Hester did already have an internship with Betsey Johnson. Enough of that influence on her, imo.

If Hester would listen to significant input, it’d be great to see her to a stint under a hip and young-ish or avante garde designer who doesn’t do accessories at all.  She could Improve her construction skills and maybe bring some fresh ideas to her Clueless Goes to Japan style.  The Blonds?  Alexander McQueen?  

Yay for Sebastian!  I was fairly certain he had the win cuz In her final talking heads, Heather’s nose was red from crying.  I agree with the post up thread.  Heather’s clothes the entire season were kawaii.  Things you’d see in the Harajuku District in Tokyo.  And yet, that was never pointed out by any of the judges.  Within that genre, her collection was quite nice.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, hula-la said:

I've been calling Sebastian Christian the entire show, so I'm not surprised that I did it here. Maybe I'm already projecting that Sebastian will win and have a fabulous career, just like Christian!

I wish we could spike the punch. We never get to spike the punch.

I haven't read all the posts, but I think it's because you're mixing up Christian Grey and Sebastian Grey.  I do this all of the time in my head also.  I think that Sebastian Grey is such a sexy name! 😁

I thought that the other two collections were pretty bad.  Garo's, oh man.  And I like him.  But I was just so saddened by it.  Though, like Nina, I really liked that "beaded dress" they kept referring to that he cut.

I thought that Sebastian's was perfect.  I wanted to  look at every outfit again and again.  Each was so beautiful and cool.  Take a look at the work of Haider Ackermann; Sebastian's satin outfits really remind me of that.

00010fullscreen.jpg

Spring-Summer-2015-Fashion-Model-Haider-Ackermann.jpg

haider-ackermann-spring-2012.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I have noticed a lot of comments on Hester’s posture. I suspect she has a touch a scoliosis. God help me, I almost wrote that I have a HUNCH she does, but luckily I caught myself.  

Looks like a dowager's hump to me.

11 minutes ago, Pattycake2 said:

Heather’s clothes the entire season were kawaii.  Things you’d see in the Harajuku District in Tokyo.  And yet, that was never pointed out by any of the judges. 

Well, that would have contradicted their "story" about how she was so original and so unique.

I just re-watched and just at the end of Hester's show I swear I saw Edina Monsoon in the crowd (it wasn't her). She's the perfect fashion victim for that collection 🤣

Also, no matter how much she goes on about punk and raves and whatever, her style really has that twee childish cutesy-ootsy anime vibe...not punk rock, not edgy.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Interestingly, an article stated Alicia Silverstone was/is? to open a vegan cafe on the Rooftop of Christian's atelier, The Curated. (We almost got a classic "As if!" moment between her and Hester)

Christian Siriano constantly continuing to support Alicia Silverstone is one of the many things I love about him.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, suzeecat said:

Hester's aesthetic reminds me a little of Betsey Johnson.  She would have won on Lifetime and I wonder if they gave Sebastian the win because they knew they would alienate us diehard followers with a controversial Hester win first Bravo season out of the gate.  I just loved everything about Sebastian's runway and was very happy and satisfied that he won. 

Great call, I was thinking the same.  A designer who would have her own aesthetic and ideas that would run counter to whatever the trends are going on during the season at the time.

3 hours ago, Merriwind said:

So glad they didn't eliminate a designer before announcing the winner. No one needs to know that they came in last. Not winning has to be painful enough.

Agreed. I thought it was particularly cruel in previous years when the final two were left on the runway and Heidi would tell the runner-up "you're out." One year (Sean Kelly vs. Amanda Valentine), she actually emphasized how close the voting was and that Amanda barely lost. Sometimes it's better just not to know, especially with such a big prize package at stake. 

Loved DvF as a guest judge. I always prefer fashion designers, or people in the fashion industry, as judges because they can give critiques other than "I would wear that / I would not wear that."

A solid return to form after the weak Lifetime years. Keep it up, PR!

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, becauseIsaidso said:

I don't know about Alabama, but - much to my utter amazement - they do run, as regularly and as often as more 'mainstream' ads (if there really is such a thing today) up here in the red boondocks of north central Maine. Whodathunkit!

But, but, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, you guys up there were the first state to vote in - by popular vote, no less - gay marriage. Having grown up in Massachusetts - or as you guys used to call us, being a former Masshole - I was so proud of New England when I heard this. My Dad still lives in Massachusetts, and they still are a fickle people who like what they like, damn the labels (i.e. they'll vote enthusiastically for Hillary Clinton, but at the same time they'll also vote overwhelmingly for their beloved Republican governor), and even if they don't necessarily agree with something, they'll protect your right to believe it or be it. I was always kind of proud of that New England do their own thing influence on myself.

I now live in Georgia, and we get these ads too, sometimes, but I attribute that to the stations being from Atlanta. I would guess that otherwise, sadly, these ads would not exist.

But then again, since I left the state of Mass. when I was 17, I may have also been a bit naive. I'll choose to live in my own delusion, though, because that's the state that I remember growing up.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I haven't read all the posts, but I think it's because you're mixing up Christian Grey and Sebastian Grey.  I do this all of the time in my head also.  I think that Sebastian Grey is such a sexy name! 😁

I thought that the other two collections were pretty bad.  Garo's, oh man.  And I like him.  But I was just so saddened by it.  Though, like Nina, I really liked that "beaded dress" they kept referring to that he cut.

I thought that Sebastian's was perfect.  I wanted to  look at every outfit again and again.  Each was so beautiful and cool.  Take a look at the work of Haider Ackermann; Sebastian's satin outfits really remind me of that.

00010fullscreen.jpg

Spring-Summer-2015-Fashion-Model-Haider-Ackermann.jpg

haider-ackermann-spring-2012.jpg

Hmm. Looking at those photos certainly undermines the idea that Sebastian's designs are "original."

7 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I wonder if they gave Sebastian the win because they knew they would alienate us diehard followers with a controversial Hester win first Bravo season out of the gate.

I would venture to guess that the showrunners give less than a single shit about what posters on this forum think or care about.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, JenLily said:

This really bothered me as well. I'm not sure why he was so fixated on that dress when there were probably other looks available that would have required far less work to adapt. I agree that Kate's dress and the one right before that killed his chances of winning.

I think that was the third time that a designer had a hard time fitting her.  I think Garo had one nice outfit that Kate looked good in but otherwise she never did the clothes any favor.  

5 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

But, but, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, you guys up there were the first state to vote in - by popular vote, no less - gay marriage. Having grown up in Massachusetts - or as you guys used to call us, being a former Masshole - I was so proud of New England when I heard this. My Dad still lives in Massachusetts, and they still are a fickle people who like what they like, damn the labels (i.e. they'll vote enthusiastically for Hillary Clinton, but at the same time they'll also vote overwhelmingly for their beloved Republican governor), and even if they don't necessarily agree with something, they'll protect your right to believe it or be it. I was always kind of proud of that New England do their own thing influence on myself.

I now live in Georgia, and we get these ads too, sometimes, but I attribute that to the stations being from Atlanta. I would guess that otherwise, sadly, these ads would not exist.

But then again, since I left the state of Mass. when I was 17, I may have also been a bit naive. I'll choose to live in my own delusion, though, because that's the state that I remember growing up.

The Massachusetts Republican governors are always socially liberal though.  They are just good with budgets and money.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Absurda said:

Yeah, I was thinking "this really is the Hester Sunshine show this week".  They showed several more comments from the judges during her show than anyone else's

Listening to them, though, I wasn't sure if some of those comments weren't about the model on the runway, rather than the design she was wearing.  That said, anyone going into the finale thinking Hester had a lock on the win is understandable.  The editing of the season increasingly seemed like it was headed in that direction.  Me, I'm likening Sebastian's win to Dmitry's - both obvious winners from the start so the show had to play it cool towards them to misdirect and try to keep some suspense going.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Hmm. Looking at those photos certainly undermines the idea that Sebastian's designs are "original."

To be fair, even among established designers there is rarely something that truly seems sui generis, and as we've all no doubt noticed, trends are cyclical anyway. So Sebastian isn't the first person to send slouchy satin pantsuits down the runway — that's hardly a surprise. But I certainly wouldn't argue that Sebastian's signature seaming and the way he deploys it, or his laser-cut and woven leather and belt designs aren't original, and those things (one or more of them) figured into almost every look in his collection.

• Love 18

There is much I "get" about DvF feeling 'charmed' by Hester's collection.  Because of her iconic 'wrap dresses,' DvF was kinda dubbed the 'Queen of the Ladies Who Lunch' crowd.  (Although I'm sure that her heartfelt imagination and creativity hoped to flow in ALL directions!)  SO... I can totally see her beguiled and wanting to tap the "untamed" and fun flavor of Hester's designs. Their result could be a brilliant combo that baby boomers (and others!) would embrace!!  (I met DvF many years ago when she was doing makeovers at Bloomingdale's to promote her new makeup line.  She was so helpful and really cared about the women she was making over.  I was prompted by this Bravo finale to remember that I had once had in my wardrobe one of her lovely red/white print wrap dresses! ) I hope she forever continues to "wow" her fans! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
18 hours ago, millennium said:

It came close, too close in fact.  Hester never should have made it this far.  

Can't agree more. It would've been so much more interesting for me to see a collection designed by Bishme or Renee than this tasteless assemblage of quote-unquote clothes, 80% of which reminded me of when I used to go through the sales racks at TJ Maxx  as a teenager in 1998.

Anyway, in my opinion, the true winner of this season is Christian Siriano. His advice was always spot on and very useful (take notes, Marni). He's adorable and honestly in some scenes from this last episode he sounded more excited about the whole thing than the designers themselves. Plus I loved the cold dead stare he gave to Hester when she kept rummaging through her boxes or whatever it was she was doing while he was talking to them. So rude of her, and it wasn't the first time!

Although I'm happy Sebastian won (he was the only possible choice out of these three), I have to disagree with everyone who said they loved the judges this season. Okay, the truth is I really, really do not like Nina Garcia. I think she has absolutely no taste and never once have I agreed with any of her critiques. I'm sorry but anyone who praises Hester this much is either blind or knows absolutely nothing about fashion. Brandon was okay-ish, Elaine was terrible and Karlie was... meh. When they all said stuff like "oooh, this collection is SO ready for Fashion Week" I couldn't help but think "right, maybe NY Fashion Week, cause there's no way those clothes would ever be shown in Paris or Milan". I'm sorry, like I said I think Sebastian is a great tailor and I love that he won, but I still think the overall feel of the show is a bit old and derivative. I've seen waaaay more creative and fashion forward outfits on RuPaul's drag race. 

But then again, this is a show that had chosen Heidi Klum, who (I've said it before but I just can't get over it) has constantly been featured on the Worst Dressed list of every single event she has ever attended, as a host and judge for 16 seasons, so I can't expect much from it. It's always good fun to watch, though. 

Edited by stormy weather
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

Yay for Sebastian!!! 

When DVF suggested Hester come work for her, all I could think of is that the costume designer for Clueless should send DVF a copy of the movie and ask why she didn't get offered a job in 1995. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, carrps said:

I just re-watched and just at the end of Hester's show I swear I saw Edina Monsoon in the crowd (it wasn't her). She's the perfect fashion victim for that collection

I burst out laughing so hard at the Edina Monsoon reference that I scared my cat. 🤣

Also, no matter how much she goes on about punk and raves and whatever, her style really has that twee childish cutesy-ootsy anime vibe...not punk rock, not edgy.

Exactly!  Personally, I think it's pathetic to see a woman in her mid-thirties dressing like a 13 year old who's trying too hard to be outrageous.  Also, raves are soooooo 90s!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Diane von Fürstenberg is a genius. She's 72; I'm 71 and I remember clearly how revolutionary she was with her wrap dress in 1974. Imagine: a wrap dress that anyone could wear (when we were all encased in structured, skirted suits). I love her.

As for Hester Sunshine, she is a genius also, at styling, but her clothes are mediocre, at best. 

And oh how I loved Sebastian's last look, the leather dress. 

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Love 5