Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Intelligent and wise are two different things. Stark may be a brilliant inventor, but he has terrible judgment and pretty poor understanding of the people around him.

Like father, like son.

I don't know that Howard was actually as mystified by other people's motivations and reactions as Tony is. He may not have cared about them much, but I don't recall seeing the same hurt surprise every time someone disagreed with him or had a differing viewpoint of an issue. (The terrible judgment, yeah, Agent Carter totally demonstrated that Howard did stuff without thinking through the repercussions all the time.)

• Love 8

Yeah, there was always an underlying callousness that I saw in Howard, that I don't see in Tony. And I think Tony has trouble asking for help (for a lot of personal and mental health issue reasons), even though he wants it and knows deep down that he needs it.  Where Howard just didn't want it or thought he needed it.  Tony also feels responsibility for his actions deeply (even if that feeling sometimes causes him to make even more poor choices), Howard?  Not so much on the sense of responsibility for his actions.  

• Love 5

Howard seemed to have the life philosophy of "it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" but Tony seems to genuinely have trouble understanding that other people could see things in other ways even when those other people are a man from another time and an alien god.  They both seem to get so into the problem they're currently working on, they can't see the forest for the trees.

• Love 6

Tony's used to being the smartest person in the room.  The problem is, he equates that with being the rightest person in the room.  He doesn't really notice that his positions aren't just about logic or intelligence, they're based on values.  He values certain things over other things, and proceeds from that foundation.  If other people have different priorities, well, obviously they don't have a proper understanding of how things work and their objections can be ignored.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

He values certain things over other things, and proceeds from that foundation.  If other people have different priorities, well, obviously they don't have a proper understanding of how things work and their objections can be ignored.

I think they all do that though, so I don't think that's specific to Tony.  But its how they interact with each other, and look for understanding with each other, and eventually listen that makes the difference.  Outside forces have isolated all of them, so I think the story going forward is going to be based in how they all find their way back to each other.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

Tony's used to being the smartest person in the room.  The problem is, he equates that with being the rightest person in the room.  He doesn't really notice that his positions aren't just about logic or intelligence, they're based on values.  He values certain things over other things, and proceeds from that foundation.  If other people have different priorities, well, obviously they don't have a proper understanding of how things work and their objections can be ignored.

This is an issue I've had with Tony in the comic books, as well as Reed Richards (probably more so with RR).  They believe their intelligence entitles them to take the reckless gambles that they do, regardless of the consequences.

• Love 6
(edited)

I just happened to check out the IMDB birthday page today. I had no idea June 13 was such a big day for actors in the MCU. It's Chris Evans, Stellan Skarsgard, Kat Dennings, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's birthday today. Plus Elizabeth Olsen's twin sisters. I now really want to know if Age of Ultron was filming on June 13. Imagine all the phone calls and cakes going on!

Also, two of the folks who were in X-men: Apocalypse. I think June 13 should now be official Marvel Movie day.

Edited by Traveller519
On 6/9/2016 at 3:25 PM, benteen said:

This is an issue I've had with Tony in the comic books, as well as Reed Richards (probably more so with RR).  They believe their intelligence entitles them to take the reckless gambles that they do, regardless of the consequences.

This is true of 90% of comic book scientists. Well, it's actually true of almost all comic book heroes, the difference is the science guys are much more likely to have their crazy risks and gambits blow up their faces. This is because superhero comic books are actually pretty anti-science and anti-intellectual at their core. Trying to understand the world around you and how it works is dangerous, better off putting blind faith in a big blonde guy with a hammer.

(edited)
On 02/07/2016 at 9:49 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Anna Kendrick wants to join the MCU as....Squirrel Girl.

I have to say, that's kind of perfect. It will never happen, of course. Netflix, at best.

Sounds about right. I like Anna Kendrick as an actress and think she is very talented, but everytime she is in the press for something or is doing an interview it seems like she is trying way to hard to create a certain public persona. This would totally fit in with that.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 3

I'd kill for a Squirrel Girl Netflix series starring Anna Kendrick. But keep it in line with the other Netflix shows. Quite dark and gritty all around her, while Squirrel Girl retains her sunny, positive personality. It would be great fun.

• Love 3
(edited)

James Gunn just posted some concept art from Vol. 2, featuring the team, now featuring Mantis, Nebula and Yondu.  The EEOC clearly demanded that Starlord hire more women and blue people.

I like that they're keeping Groot small, at least starting out.

Edited by SeanC

I really like the idea of Nebula joining them.  Hopefully we get some good scenes with her and Gamora, exploring their relationship and Nebula's change of heart.

• Love 1

Marvel has revealed what actors are playing what characters in the upcoming Black Panther.

Michael B Jordan - Erik Killmonger

Danai Gurira - Okoye, the head of the Dora Milaje

Lupita Nyongo - Nakia, a member of the Dora Milaje

• Love 1

Some details about Thor: Ragnarok.  Supposedly there was actual footage, but it hasn't been released. 

I don't quite know how I feel about this yet.  For one thing, that logo is terrible.  It's so cheesy.  Reminds me of Flash Gordon, and I guess that's the point?  They should have kept the first one, or just changed one of the words instead of the whole thing.

I loved Waititi's What We Do in the Shadows, and I figured he would apply the same style of humor here.  Which makes sense, but given that Ragnarok is about the death of the gods and is supposed to be brutal, I hope he can successfully segue some of that humor into the depressing stuff which is inevitable in the film.  That said, the thought of seeing Thor's daily activities cracks me up.  And it's about time we started hearing about him, since most of the news about Ragnarok has been about the Hulk.

I did a search for the Black Panther but could not find it. (Maybe there isn't one.) If there is and anyone knows it, can you post it here? I am trying to subscribe to all the upcoming Marvel/DC movie threads now.

Weird that they would pick that character; has she ever even met Strange in the comics? If they needed a pre-magical career love interest it seems like Madeleine St. Germaine would be the obvious choice.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

If Christine Palmer is appearing as Doctor Strange's love interest (apparently), is there any indication that Linda Carter/Night Nurse is going to show up anywhere?  Maybe in the Daredevil series?

I don't watch the Marvel Netflix series, but my understanding is that the Rosario Dawson character was supposed to be the Night Nurse, but that that was changed for MCU reasons. Does anyone who watches the Netflix shows know if that's accurate, or more about it?

I mean, I think they've given her the Night Nurse function, but not the title?

Edited by stealinghome

There were multiple "nigh nurses" in the main Marvel 616 universe. The MCU can follow suit with Rosario Dawson not crossing over from NetFlix shows to the movies. However given racial politics that might be a tricky move to cast another night nurse for the movies.

10 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I don't watch the Marvel Netflix series, but my understanding is that the Rosario Dawson character was supposed to be the Night Nurse, but that that was changed for MCU reasons. Does anyone who watches the Netflix shows know if that's accurate, or more about it?

Yes. They pulled back from making her the actual Night Nurse because they may have bigger plans for the Night Nurse character.

Been a while since I watched it. But as soon as he had it, Ronan's people came for him. Could be that he got a tip-off originating with either Ronan or Thanos. The plan would be to let this bozo do all the hard work of retrieving it, or at least give his own people an idea of the defences. If he survived, he'd be easy pickings. But that didn't work, and you know the rest.

So i was watching Guardians of the  Galaxy last night and i realized something. How did Starlord figure out that the Infinity Stone was on that planet in the beginning?

My assumption was that whoever had contacted Yondu told him where the stone was. Starlord overheard this, and raced off to get there first. Ronan had the same information, so they got there right after him.

Maybe we'll learn more about Yondu's client and how that person got the information in the sequel. (In the meantime my assumption is that looking for infinity stones is like looking for the lost ark or the holy grail. Tons of people are probably looking for them, and someone finally got a lead).

• Love 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

I read a rumor somewhere that they have scrapped IW Part 2 entirely and will be replacing it with a different Avengers story.  Now that we have a Captain Marvel, Civil War 2?

Well, since Cap3 was really more IM4/Avengers2.5 than a Cap movie, maybe they should give us a true Cap movie with that slot. Though it'll probably turn into IM5 to more properly explore all Tony's pain. ;)

Edited by scriggle
grammar
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

My assumption was that whoever had contacted Yondu told him where the stone was. Starlord overheard this, and raced off to get there first. Ronan had the same information, so they got there right after him.

Maybe we'll learn more about Yondu's client and how that person got the information in the sequel. (In the meantime my assumption is that looking for infinity stones is like looking for the lost ark or the holy grail. Tons of people are probably looking for them, and someone finally got a lead).

It would be nice if Volume 2 expanded on that a bit. I thought it was interesting that the gem sat there for long enough for that society to fall apart and everything to vanish, but Peter Quill found it and then shortly after him Ronan's guys found it too. There seems to have been something more going on there. I also wonder why the person who knew it was there just didn't get it themselves?

1 hour ago, scriggle said:

Well, since Cap3 was really more IM4/Avengers2.5 than a Cap movie, maybe they should give us a true Cap movie with that slot. Though it'll probably turn into IM5 to more properly explore all Tony's pain. ;)

What story could they tell with another Cap movie? 

Have him chasing after Bucky some more? 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

What story could they tell with another Cap movie? 

Have him chasing after Bucky some more? 

I don't know. I'm still kinda ticked that we got Civil War instead of a true Cap3. 

• Love 1

I loved that Cap 2 and 3 are more of team-up movies than standalones. Cap really shines when interacting with the other characters: by himself, he's pretty boring, TBH. I barely sat through Cap 1, and mostly thanks to Peggy Carter and Howard Stark (the horrible villain didn't help, way too comic-y for me).

• Love 4

I would looove another Cap movie that focused on him and his relationship with Bucky (after he's unfrozen, of course), now that they aren't adversaries anymore, with them facing a foe together.... maybe while the others are having to deal with some other threat (similar to how Thor and Hulk were 'elsewhere' during Civil War).     

• Love 6
(edited)

I loved Cap2.  But for what was supposed to be a standalone movie for the eponymous character, Cap3 was way overcrowded with other characters. Steve was on screen for about 1/4 of the film (36 mins according to IMDB).  Meanwhile Tony was on screen for almost 34 minutes. Compared to their other standalones films where Steve & Tony each had about an hour of screentime. That's what I'm upset about.  For his final stand alone film, Cap deserved to be the focus.

TPTB at Marvel decided they had to do Civil War to counter DC's Batman v Superman and they shoehorned it into Cap's final movie.  Civil War should've been an Avengers movie.  Cap3 should've been in the vein of Cap2, continuing where that movie left off.  Steve & Sam with help from Natasha and Sharon looking for Bucky and all coming together to defeat the big bad, Zemo.

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

I would looove another Cap movie that focused on him and his relationship with Bucky (after he's unfrozen, of course), now that they aren't adversaries anymore, with them facing a foe together.... maybe while the others are having to deal with some other threat (similar to how Thor and Hulk were 'elsewhere' during Civil War).     

Me too but I don't see it happening.  I think we'd more likely get an IM4 as another standalone before we'd ever get another Cap movie or a Black Widow movie or [insert Avenger's name] movie.

2 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I'm still a little optimistic about an eventual Black Widow movie (which Cap and Bucky would fit nicely into as well), but I don't want Joss Whedon to have anything to do with it.  

I rather Cap and Bucky be in a Black Widow movie than the Black Panther's movie. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

I rather Cap and Bucky be in a Black Widow movie than the Black Panther's movie. 

I agree.  I think Bucky alone could potentially fit better in the Black Panther movie, but I'm actually hoping we find out he's out of the freezer and has left for parts unknown before we get that movie.  

• Love 1