Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I like her. She's a smart talented young woman who I've been hoping would go beyond Disney shows and get more movies. I do hope she has a big part in the movies.

While she's very talented, I've always found her acting to be on the weaker side, based on what I've seen of her on the Disney Channel. But I guess it'd be hard to really judge a person's acting skills based on what you see on a Disney Channel show, of all things (where material is incredibly cheesy and mostly shallow).

I'll reserve my judgement until I see the film.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

If they set the movie in high school...why not follow the comics in that regard?

I agree, why not?  I was just surprised they were going back to the very beginning in terms of potential Parker love interests.  I like how they've managed to do it though.  A new Spider-Man, a new love interest.

Strange, by far, is going to be the hardest for Feige and the gang to pull off.

I feel like that gets said every year now, like with Guardians and Ant-Man. 

• Love 1

I feel like that gets said every year now, like with Guardians and Ant-Man. 

In my opinion except for The Winter Soldier and Agents of SHIELD it has been the follow up films which flattered not the let's try something new projects. And I am hearing the second Daredevil season also stepped up the game

They often multiple costumes for different reasons such as stunts, closeups etc. Often the closeups are the most detailed while far away or stunt tend to not be that good of a quality, Also they could be doing some cgi on the costume in post.

"Spider Man Homecoming"?  They couldn't have gone with "Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man" and focus more on the Peter Parker side of the Spider-Man persona?

I'm not taking what Sally Field said lying down.  I think superhero movies can have three dimensional protagonists.  I mean, I thought the original Spider-Man movies (at least the first two) and several of the MCU movies have done a good job of it.

Give a little love, producers, and it all comes back to you.

BetterButter, on 02 Apr 2016 - 5:55 PM, said:

Pretty close to the original comics costume.  Very good.  I mean, yeah, he's wearing boots rather than having Medieval tights with the leather soles sown into the feet part, but who care about that? 

ME!!!! I HAVE A THING FOR GUYS IN TIGHTS!!!!

The Gambit movie, starring Channing Tatum, has been removed from the Marvel upcoming release schedule, and as of now has no release date.

Gambit belongs on Netflix, where I'm sure they could do wonders with his backstory and character. But first this Channing Tatum movie needs to be canned, and the rights need to revert back to Marvel. Sadly, those things won't happen.

But at the moment, the Netflix shows are really the only superhero products I'm interested in. Everything else is just starting to feel tired and bloated, and you would have thought by now that someone involved in making comic book movies would finally have learned from mistakes of the past, but they keep making the same ones.

I have to say in particular, I really, really do not care about another Spider-Man reboot. Telling the same story for a third time is not interesting to me. They did a good job with The Amazing Spider-Man, but then completely dropped the ball with the sequel, why should this be any better?

My dream lineup of unrealised Marvel properties for Netflix-style treatment would be:

Gambit

Winter Soldier

Runaways

X-Factor Investigations (which, by the way, would fit perfectly with Daredevil and Jessica Jones)

Hawkeye

Any one of them would be nice.

• Love 2

Gambit and X-Factor Investigations would fall under Fox and not the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So whether they belong on Netflix or not, it's really not about what the MCU is creating there.

It's all on Fox.

• Love 2
(edited)

X-Factor Investigations...that would be a good one.

I admit, I'd like to see a Runaways Netflix series.

The New Mutants is going to be a movie but a TV series with them would be awesome too. 

Edited by benteen

I could list 100 Marvel properties that I would have adapted before I would've gotten to Ant-Man.  The fact that they made an OK movie and return from Ant Man means that nothing in the Marvel Universe is off the table.

In addition to the ideas listed above, I hope I live long enough for Marvel to go deep enough into their archives to make a Strikeforce: Morituri movie or series.  This weird standalone sci-fi Superhero adjacent story was years ahead of its time.  The plot is that the Earth (separate from any Superhero continuity) is occupied by an evil alien race called The Horde which hovers in space and is generally content to raid our resources as they want, including our people.  The people of Earth finally strike back by creating a process which turns select ordinary humans in Superheroes with different powers, able to combat The Horde in ways they never had been able to before. The only catch is that this process is incompatible with human physiology, and the heroes tend to explode after a year or so.   Get Guilliermo del Toro on this, stat!

Also, I'd love to see a Squadron Supreme series so much since they're all thinly disguised takes on the Justice League.  It would be endlessly amusing to do DC's lead superhero team better than DC itself does.

I could list 100 Marvel properties that I would have adapted before I would've gotten to Ant-Man.  The fact that they made an OK movie and return from Ant Man means that nothing in the Marvel Universe is off the table.

I liked Ant-Man but I STILL wonder why they made it. He'd better be integral to their future plans and not just another cash grab.

Speaking of Marvel TV properties, we're getting a Cloak and Dagger TV series on Freeform. I think this will split the difference between the abysmal quality of AoS and the excellence of the Netflix series, we shall see. 

I liked Ant-Man but I STILL wonder why they made it. He'd better be integral to their future plans and not just another cash grab.

I'd put money on "Edgar Wright talked them into it because he thought that shrunken fight scenes would be cool".  And they were cool, even if they had to let Wright go or however that went down.

Wanted to add that I'd love X-Factor so much, even though the romance with Layla would be inexplicable on 1,352 levels. ("OK, first Magneto went and changed reality somehow...  Or was it the Scarlet Witch?  Are you following me so far? Oh, and then Layla falls into the future...")  Too bad that Jamie Madrox is an X-Man property and thus not eligible for the Netflix treatment, for which it'd be perfect.

Gambit and X-Factor Investigations would fall under Fox and not the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So whether they belong on Netflix or not, it's really not about what the MCU is creating there.

It's all on Fox.

I know. The rights would have to be allowed to revert to Marvel, like with Daredevil. But I guess comic books are a much hotter property than they were a few years ago, so Fox would never let them go.

With X-Factor, if Marvel could sort out a character by character discussion, I can't think Fox would have any intention of using those characters in their X-Men movies.

Wanted to add that I'd love X-Factor so much, even though the romance with Layla would be inexplicable on 1,352 levels. ("OK, first Magneto went and changed reality somehow...  Or was it the Scarlet Witch?  Are you following me so far? Oh, and then Layla falls into the future...")  Too bad that Jamie Madrox is an X-Man property and thus not eligible for the Netflix treatment, for which it'd be perfect.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that either. The Layla stuff was funny when she was a kid, but after they aged her up, it just felt off. Especially with the way Jamie suddenly became interested in her. Plus, I enjoyed his romance with Siryn, and felt that Peter David should have kept going with that, rather than give it the weird and pretty unpleasant end it got (they have a child together, only it turns out that one of Jamie's dupes actually fathered the child, so as soon as he touches it, he absorbs the kid, erasing it from existence).

But Jamie Madrox is a character who really needs to be done justice on the screen. A movie wouldn't be enough to cover all his issues and quirks, to really establish that he's a guy who has no idea who he is, because each duplicate exhibits different personalities.

Well, they did use Jamie in The Last Stand. I know we'd all rather forget that it exists and DOFP negated it but he has been used by Fox so I don't see them particularly eager to give that up.

Feige says there will be members of the MCU in the Spider-Man movie.

God forbid we let one of these MCU films stand on their own, with no other heroes or spinoff/sequel hooks.

(edited)

God forbid we let one of these MCU films stand on their own, with no other heroes or spinoff/sequel hooks.

I think that was the whole impetus for Sony dealing with Marvel and the MCU.  Spiderman has been separate now for what  5 other solo films?   I think it's time to see the character interacting with other heroes.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Can we get a law passed that a character is only allowed two filmed versions of an origin story after which we're all assumed to know the origin?

I think part of the reason is that before the MCU a hero. Villain or a group like mutants where the only one and big movie directors all wanted their crack at telling how the only one started.

To the point where the Man of Steel director had to take his shot at telling the origin of a middle aged Batman

One of the many reasons the Spider-Man film franchise was dying was because the character was standing on his own.  Adding the Marvel Universe into the mix re-energizes the Spider-Man character and presents exciting new storyline potential.  Spider-Man inside the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a lot interesting than what we were getting the past two movies.

• Love 5

Tessa Thompson is cast in Thor:Ragnarok.  Natalie Portman is not returning.

But what about the one and only true love that *YAWN* Portman's character has with... zzzZZZZZzzzZZZzzz

It'd be too bad if Kat Dennings didn't return. She was fun.

• Love 2

Looks like Sif got permanently friend-zoned.

Which sucks. And also makes no sense, considering Sif and Thor were married in the comics (and in Norse mythology, of course). If Natalie Portman is bailing, why not do the most pragmatic thing for all involved? Having him just fall for a different human really makes a mockery out of the romantic storylines of the first two movies.

Personally, I'd go for a semi-arranged marriage situation with Thor and Sif. Thor needs to wed to continue his family line, and Sif is the suitable candidate. She wants it, he's not sure, where do they go from there? Forget the human love interest, it's not necessary.

• Love 4
JessePinkman, on 11 Apr 2016 - 2:32 PM, said:

Holy shit, a black woman in the Marvel universe. It only took 13 movies but #progress.

Inhumans is delayed until who knows when

Disappointing, I think those characters and the whole idea of the Inhuman society is fascinating. I don't know what type of garbage they're doing on AoS but I hope Feige is right that it's not effecting the movieverse.

I'm the exact opposite.  With the exception of Crystal, I can't stand the Inhumans and have grown to outright hate them since Perlmutter seems hellbent on dolling them up as the new big thing and shunting the X-Men franchise and their characters into the shadows like it's the early 70s all over again and like they have never brought in any readers at all; the 80s and 90s never happened.

So, Marvel's UnMutants continually being pushed back or (at least in terms to comic book sales) outright cancelled brings me joy.

Not too late to negotiate with Fox for co-ownership for those muties and the Fantastic Four, Disney.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to pray that X-Men Apocalypse underperforms.  It's a longshot but every little bit helps.

• Love 2

Cf5hC8jW8AEeRQL.jpg

I have NO IDEA how to feel about this...that logo is wild. It looks so incredibly kid friendly. This is all very strategic so I can't even get mad about it.

I'm the exact opposite.  With the exception of Crystal, I can't stand the Inhumans and have grown to outright hate them since Perlmutter seems hellbent on dolling them up as the new big thing and shunting the X-Men franchise and their characters into the shadows like it's the early 70s all over again and like they have never brought in any readers at all; the 80s and 90s never happened.
So, Marvel's UnMutants continually being pushed back or (at least in terms to comic book sales) outright cancelled brings me joy.

Not too late to negotiate with Fox for co-ownership for those muties and the Fantastic Four, Disney.

I don't read the comics anymore so my opinion of the Inhumans is based on the concept and the 90s Marvel Knights series. 

FOX is never going to share the X-Men as long as they're making money (and those terrible movies are inexplicably making money).

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 1

I don't like the Inhumans either.  I understand using them as a kind of mutant stand-in in the movies but I heavily resent that in the Marvel Comics themselves.  There's no reason for that.

• Love 1