Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I haven't read much Inhumans, but from what I have read, I just couldn't bring myself to care. And Marvel's attempt to push them to the forefront while easing back on the X-Men just left me cold. But people do care about the Inhumans? They have fans?

There are two wings. First the MCU needs to have a reason for a large number of super powered people to be around without them being alien invaders or bitten by radioactive insects. And they don't want to be tied down doing an origin story on each of them. So they went trough terragenesis after the compound was introduced to the environment instead of being humans who had a survivable genetic mutation.

Then there are those who are the fans of a royal family and a few specific Inhumans and want that story told. Is that built in audience bigger than those who knew about the Guardians of the Galaxy before their movie?. And is a royal family on earth as important as putting a presence in space after what was the premiere movie The Avengers had an attack come from space?

Yes.

Maybe it is just me and i haven't read anything with carol captain marvel in it for at least 15 years, but of the 4 captain marvels i am familiar with she seems like the least interesting to me. I think a Mar-vell movie could be really cool, and the comic series with his son back in the late 90s was a favourite of mine (although that would be hard to do a movie about). What i know Monica Rambeau sounds as interesting, if not more than Danvers.

Rumors from New York Comic Con that the Inhumans movie may be cancelled to allow Agents of SHIELD a free hand

This makes me very unhappy as I think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is doing a lousy job with the Inhumans (Inhumans: Marvel Knights being one of my favorite Marvel story lines); they seem to be glossing over some very important aspects of the Inhumans mythology.  I shudder to think what would happen if they ever got their hands on Black Bolt, Medusa, or Lockjaw.  Though they appear to have Lash, so that's something I guess.

How is it Marvel television does so well with Daredevil but mostly misses with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D?

Speaking of Inhumans:

Vin Diesel as Black Bolt?

Oh god, please no.

I shudder to think what would happen if they ever got their hands on Black Bolt, Medusa, or Lockjaw.  Though they appear to have Lash, so that's something I guess.

Just imagine all the stupid quips and one liners about the fact that Black Bolt not being able to talk if he meets the SHIELD crew. I would bet it would be less than 5 minutes before someone says something like "he's the strong silent type right" or "doesn't say much does he?".

(edited)

Speaking of Inhumans:

Vin Diesel as Black Bolt?

That has been rumored for some time.

In other rumors, the next Thor movie could be a buddy movie with the Hulk. Could this be the MCU version of Planet Hulk?

Edited by vb68

Just imagine all the stupid quips and one liners about the fact that Black Bolt not being able to talk if he meets the SHIELD crew. I would bet it would be less than 5 minutes before someone says something like "he's the strong silent type right" or "doesn't say much does he?".

And then Black Bolt should say something just to show them what happens when he does speak/make a sound.

That's what I thought was so intriguing about Black Bolt; he couldn’t/wouldn’t make a sound because his voice was so incredibly powerful.  If I remember correctly,

he spoke a single word and set of a terrigen mist bomb over New York instantly creating thousands of new Inhumans

In other rumors, the next Thor movie could be a buddy movie with the Hulk. Could this be the MCU version of Planet Hulk?

Can Marvel even make a Planet Hulk while Universal still holds Hulk distribution rights?  I know that until the distribution rights revert back to Marvel we won't ever see a Hulk stand alone film.

Can Marvel even make a Planet Hulk while Universal still holds Hulk distribution rights?  I know that until the distribution rights revert back to Marvel we won't ever see a Hulk stand alone film.

I thought the deal was that they could make anything they want as far as a hulk movie (owning the character rights), but Universal owning the distribution rights means that Marvel/Disney would have to shell out a big chunk of whatever revenue the movie makes to Universal (thus losing profit).

I'd actually be interested in a Thor/Hulk storyline.   I think CH is awesome as Thor and does great work with a character that I use to consider very B-List.

I also think MR is awesome as Hulk and he's really made me empathetic to Bruce Banner and interested in where he'll turn up next.

The Bruce Banner character has managed to have a great rapport with Tony Stark, I'd be interested to see how he would deal with Thor, The Warrior's Three, Odin and the rest of Thor's homeworld.   It would also give Thor someone new to play off against in his movies other than Jane Foster (whom I like) and Loki.

They could still call it a Thor movie and just feature Hulk/Bruce a great deal.  Kind of like what Winter Soldier did for Natasha.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 3

I thought the deal was that they could make anything they want as far as a hulk movie (owning the character rights), but Universal owning the distribution rights means that Marvel/Disney would have to shell out a big chunk of whatever revenue the movie makes to Universal (thus losing profit).

I think you're right.

And that's not going to happen ..... so why we might see Planet Hulk or even She Hulk in other Marvel movies, I doubt we'll get a stand along Hulk movie of any sort while Universal holds distribution rights.

Edited by OakGoblinFly

That's what I thought was so intriguing about Black Bolt; he couldn’t/wouldn’t make a sound because his voice was so incredibly powerful.

Even a whisper can destroy an area or cause a battleship to crumble. If he screamed he can blow up planets. 

If a whisper KOs the Hulk... that's pretty powerful and blasting Attilan loose from the moon with a spoken word is as well. A scream... well, I would imagine it depends on the writer on what editorial agrees upon. It's basically why Black Bolt doesn't say much. In a lot of ways, his not saying anything builds up the idea of how much power he has.

He'd have to say something in a movie. Speak, whisper... whatever. They'd have to show what he is capable of.

Can Marvel even make a Planet Hulk while Universal still holds Hulk distribution rights? I

I think if the Hulk is still a secondary character (and he would be in a Thor movie) and his name isn't in the title, they can use him how they wish.   I just meant earlier that 's how the MCU could maybe get around those issues.  Have him on an alien world with Thor.

If a whisper KOs the Hulk... that's pretty powerful and blasting Attilan loose from the moon with a spoken word is as well. A scream... well, I would imagine it depends on the writer on what editorial agrees upon. It's basically why Black Bolt doesn't say much. In a lot of ways, his not saying anything builds up the idea of how much power he has.

He'd have to say something in a movie. Speak, whisper... whatever. They'd have to show what he is capable of.

I have a feeling they wouldn't make whatever he says audible, we'd just see the aftermath. I'd rather not know what he sounds like. Keep the ~mystery.

If Black Bolt is going to be played by a racially ambiguous bald-headed action star I'd prefer The Rock but he's gonna be in a DC movie, isn't he?

There is nothing I am aware that ties down to The Rock to DC movies only. I swear he did an interview where he expressed interest in working for Marvel. 

As for Black Bolt remember decibel levels. 30 is a soft whisper, 60 is normal conversation, 110 is shouting in someones ear.  Note even a mere 3 dba increase means the amount of noise has doubled. So a shout is not just four times louder its about a 100 times more nosier then a whisper. No one told me there would be math. Since his vocal box is tied to his power yes a scream which also channel his feelings could destroy a planet . . Loudest recorded scream recorded was 129 dba. That is loud enough to cause immediate hearing damage.   

At 110 decibels a minute and 29 of listening to a sound at that level   can permanently damage your hearing. 

140-199 decibels is a handgun and that causes immediate hearing damage. You don't hear anything for a while except what sounds like a buzzing tone. Its also painful. Firing off a handgun even a sub 9mm without ear pro feels like a fist hit you in the side of the head. You also get nausea and vertigo. Not fun having to shoot at people who try to rob you. Very few movies and tv shows show the reality of what happens when people fire guns off without ear pro. 

Has no one ever considered removing this Black Bolt guy's vocal cords? I would get on that shit.

Its actually in the speech part of his brain that his powers come from. Removing his vocal cords wouldn't do anything to stop his power from manifesting. 

I'm not sure his power scales up THAT far, but he has KO'd the Hulk with a whisper, and blasted Attilan loose from its foundations (allowing it to fly away to the moon) with a single spoken word.

Black Bolt's powers absolutely do scale up that far; he has the ability to destroy planets with his sonic (hyper-sonic? quasi-sonic?) powers.  These powers are mentioned several times (I'm most familiar with the ability being mentioned in Marvel Knights).

I do wonder if the MCU will touch on Black Bolt and the Illuminati (they will introduce Doctor Strange next year) and their role in obtaining the Infinity Gauntlet.

Black Bolt's powers absolutely do scale up that far; he has the ability to destroy planets with his sonic (hyper-sonic? quasi-sonic?) powers.  These powers are mentioned several times (I'm most familiar with the ability being mentioned in Marvel Knights).

I do wonder if the MCU will touch on Black Bolt and the Illuminati (they will introduce Doctor Strange next year) and their role in obtaining the Infinity Gauntlet.

Its not pure sound. Its a unknown particle reacting with electrons. This allows him to do various things like create and destroy matter. I think he is one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel universe at least on Earth. As for the Illuminati remember No Fantastic Four so there would have to be changes if they decided to have the Illuminati. 

Edited by nobodyyoucare

I'm fine with there not being an Illuminati. That is something that... I can really live without in the books. Besides, the MCU doesn't have Charles Xavier either. And there remains the question as to who has the rights to Namor. Is that Fox as well? Or whomever has the rights to the FF? I don't even know.

The MCU doesn't have telepaths (unless there's a throwaway in Agents of SHIELD that I don't know about or remember) so whoever would have control of the Mind Stone is a bit of a question... hell, they haven't even introduced the Mind Stone, yet, have they?

Tesseract = Space Stone

Aether = Reality Stone

Purple Thing = Power Stone

Thing in Loki's Scepter = Life Stone (I would have guessed that would be the Mind Stone, to be honest)

So they've got Mind and Time left... I imagine one of those will be introduced in Dr. Strange. I don't know if they'll go there with an Infinity Stone in Black Panther. I suppose they could. The Mind Stone could be used in Strange and Time in Black Panther... perhaps as a means of communicating with the Panthers of the past? *shrug* Unless Guardians 2 brings about the last stone and sets up the Infinity Wars.

There's a few possibilities, definitely.

We probably see that level of power in the MCU.  All of the MCU characters are nerfed compared to their Earth 616 counterparts, especially Thor and Hulk.  

Universal used to have Namor film rights, Marvel has the rights as of 2014 and word is still Marvel has the rights. .  http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/kevin-feige-talks-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the-avengers-the-sub-marinerHas the Namor situation explained.

Being a golden age character I would love it if Namor showed up in the Agent Carter show. I wonder if the TV rights are different than the movie rights like I know they are for Spider-man.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

No, I don't think she is, she can control probability and do mind control but I don't think we're supposed to think that she can read minds. If anything she's telekinetic.

She can definitely read minds.  Ultron correctly guesses that she's trying to read his mind (which Wanda confirms) and it's because she's able to read Vision's mind that she knows Ultron intends to wipe out humanity.  The limitation is that she seems to need to be right next to the person to read their mind or mind control them.  She's also telekinetic.  Can the MCU Scarlet Witch affect probability?

• Love 1
hell, they haven't even introduced the Mind Stone, yet, have they?

Tesseract = Space Stone

Aether = Reality Stone

Purple Thing = Power Stone

Thing in Loki's Scepter = Life Stone (I would have guessed that would be the Mind Stone, to be honest)

The Mind Stone was in Loki's scepter and is now lodged in Vision's forehead, as per Age of Ultron.

She can definitely read minds.  Ultron correctly guesses that she's trying to read his mind (which Wanda confirms) and it's because she's able to read Vision's mind that she knows Ultron intends to wipe out humanity.  The limitation is that she seems to need to be right next to the person to read their mind or mind control them.  She's also telekinetic.  Can the MCU Scarlet Witch affect probability?

In the case of Ultron it was when he was starting to move his mind into the synthoid body which is organic. As for probability based on what Maria Hill said when she was describing her powers the answer is maybe. 

Also Marvel is reported to getting back the Fantastic Four Film rights in exchange for giving Fox X-men tv rights. Two new X-men tv shows were just announced. One is about The Hellfire Club, the other is Legion which is  Professor X's son. The Fantastic Four film rights if true is a huge deal because of what is attached in the rights namely   characters and aliens. Skrulls, Galactus, Kang many others that couldn't be used in the MCU could possibly be used now. 

Marvel has just announced three untitled films for the future. One of those is a Fantastic Four film. 

Edited by nobodyyoucare
  • Love 1

In the case of Ultron it was when he was starting to move his mind into the synthoid body which is organic. As for probability based on what Maria Hill said when she was describing her powers the answer is maybe. 

Also Marvel is reported to getting back the Fantastic Four Film rights in exchange for giving Fox X-men tv rights. Two new X-men tv shows were just announced. One is about The Hellfire Club, the other is Legion which is  Professor X's son. The Fantastic Four film rights if true is a huge deal because of what is attached in the rights namely   characters and aliens. Skrulls, Galactus, Kang many others that couldn't be used in the MCU could possibly be used now. 

Marvel has just announced three untitled films for the future. One of those is a Fantastic Four film. 

Very exciting development on all fronts.

(edited)

Apparently the news on The Fantastic Four is not true.

I think if they do get the rights back, Marvel won't waste time issuing a press release.

Edited by vb68

Marvel lied about the rights to Spider-Man and then announced the deal with Sony a month later so who knows? FOX would be dumb to try to make another FF movie on their own, they'd just be throwing money away no matter how good the movie is because their rep with the franchise is just that bad. Better to make some deal with Marvel and get a small percentage of profit.

I missed that and good question on the probability, I thought that's what her "energy bursts" were basically but I guess they could just be generic...shooting powers?

• Love 1

Marvel lied about the rights to Spider-Man and then announced the deal with Sony a month later so who knows? FOX would be dumb to try to make another FF movie on their own, they'd just be throwing money away no matter how good the movie is because their rep with the franchise is just that bad. Better to make some deal with Marvel and get a small percentage of profit.

I missed that and good question on the probability, I thought that's what her "energy bursts" were basically but I guess they could just be generic...shooting powers?

It might not be Fox's fault.  I haven't seen the most recent FF movie but I saw the two with Jessica Alba and those two were pretty dull so maybe the FF are inherently boring compared to the X-Men, Spiderman, and the Avengers.  Fox did an amazing job with Days of Future Past after all.

I suppose Wanda's energy bursts could be her telekinetic power manifesting as pushes.

It might not be Fox's fault.  I haven't seen the most recent FF movie but I saw the two with Jessica Alba and those two were pretty dull so maybe the FF are inherently boring compared to the X-Men, Spiderman, and the Avengers.  

I was thinking about the Fantastic Four after the last movie and how with their crazy 60's origin they really are a product of their time. Based on that it would have been cool if Fox made a Fantastic Four movie that was a period piece, set in the 1960's like some crazy psychedelic thing. I mean in the comics the very first villain they fight is the mole man.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1

I was thinking about the Fantastic Four after the last movie and how with their crazy 60's origin they really are a product of their time. Based on that it would have been cool if Fox made a Fantastic Four movie that was a period piece, set in the 1960's like some crazy psychedelic thing. I mean in the comics the very first villain they fight is the mole man.

That's as good an idea as any. Really, the crux of any Fantastic Four movie has to focus on Reed vs Doom so they've got to get those characters RIGHT which... I can't say they have in any of the versions. And the other thing you need to take into consideration is the FF being 'the First Family of Marvel Comics' -- but what do you really do with that other than show that they are a tight knit crew working together.

It's still Doom vs the Four... but mostly Reed. So you have to put it out there... why does Doom hate Reed? (And please don't make it all about Susan. A love triangle is LAME.) Do you bring Doom ruling Latveria into it? Sure! And throw it into a 60's situation where you've got the space race going on to further develop these two brilliant minds working to out-do each other. You can do retro-future stuff as was imagined back in the 60s. It could be fun to go that route. But they've still got to get the basics right which they've consistently failed to do.

I thought by the second movie Ioan Griffud had settled into playing Reed pretty believably (if one just fast-forwards through the bachelor party and the blatant HEMI plug). They belly-flopped into an empty pool with Dr. Doom though, and it pains me to say that as I'm normally thrilled to see Julian McMahon on a movie screen.

I thought Ioan Griffud made a good Reed (Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis were both good as Johnny and Ben) but Jessica Alba wasn't a very good Susan and Doom was just... *sigh* Cool, calm and collected doesn't suit Doom. He's bombastic.

If Fox can get Magneto -- the biggest fucking drama queen around -- right, then they should be able to do that with Doom. He has his own country! He's a genius, megalomaniacal dictator not some Fortune 500 suit wearing douche-nozzle! And the love triangle aspect is LAME. They want to go that route? Bring in Namor. Otherwise, keep it between Reed and Victor. Granted Doom has had his moments of wanting Susan but it comes from his rivalry with Reed more than anything else.

• Love 1

There is nothing I am aware that ties down to The Rock to DC movies only. I swear he did an interview where he expressed interest in working for Marvel. 

As for Black Bolt remember decibel levels. 30 is a soft whisper, 60 is normal conversation, 110 is shouting in someones ear.  Note even a mere 3 dba increase means the amount of noise has doubled. So a shout is not just four times louder its about a 100 times more nosier then a whisper. No one told me there would be math. Since his vocal box is tied to his power yes a scream which also channel his feelings could destroy a planet . . Loudest recorded scream recorded was 129 dba. That is loud enough to cause immediate hearing damage.   

At 110 decibels a minute and 29 of listening to a sound at that level   can permanently damage your hearing. 

140-199 decibels is a handgun and that causes immediate hearing damage. You don't hear anything for a while except what sounds like a buzzing tone. Its also painful. Firing off a handgun even a sub 9mm without ear pro feels like a fist hit you in the side of the head. You also get nausea and vertigo. Not fun having to shoot at people who try to rob you. Very few movies and tv shows show the reality of what happens when people fire guns off without ear pro. 

I'm just assuming here but I would think that when you sign on to either DC or Marvel that there is an exclusivity clause that would prevent you from working with the other studio for a specific period of time.  The Rock working with DC IMO would automatically exclude him from anything Marvel was doing.

They didn't really spell it out in AoU but I assumed her probability controlling power is what kept Tony Stark's bomb from going off in her face.

They didn't really spell it out in AoU but I assumed her probability controlling power is what kept Tony Stark's bomb from going off in her face.

But that happened before Wanda and Pietro were experimented on with the Mind Gem.  How could she affect probability when she didn't have her powers?

This is random but a thing that irked me about Tony's character in Age of Ultron:  When Pietro gestures to the STARK bombs and asks if it's like old times, Tony says "this was never my life".  How was it not his life when he made his living by designing weapons that would then be sold and re-sold to various nations and groups?  Surely he figured that some innocent people would be killed due to his "merchant of death" lifestyle?

• Love 1

The vocal inflections that RDJ used made me think that Stark was trying to convince himself that he was never as bad as that.  He claimed that he knew Serkis from conventions and didn't sell him anything but, logically, would Serkis have gone to weapons conventions as a known illegal arms smuggler/dealer?  I think it's more likely that either Serkis' shady dealings were once well hidden or that Stark did have some unsavory business transactions on occasion that he either "didn't know about" or learned of after Stane's treachery was revealed. 

One thing that I liked about Ultron, and am hoping will be referenced/dealt with in Civil War, is how Stark was deliberately separated from the twins after they joined the team.  We had one single shot of Iron Man flying over Scarlet Witch when they were all together but the twins interacted with Barton, Vision, and Cap otherwise.  I think that Wanda's hatred of Stark is probably still in effect and was put on hold to save the world.  I'm hoping we get some good interactions between the two characters in Civil War. 

• Love 1

but, logically, would Serkis have gone to weapons conventions as a known illegal arms smuggler/dealer?

Actually illegal arms smugglers/dealers often did go to weapons conventions. Its how they set up contacts to buy or sell weapons. The trick is the dealer has to not be arrested or wanted. He can be suspected and everyone knows he is dirty but unless the authorities get an arrest warrant he is allowed in and can do business.