Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I was interested in The Inhumans. Not the version on SHIELD because that looks like a low budget TV movie but the royal family for sure.

I have basically negative interest in a BW movie, Scarlett is just severely miscast in this role (I shed a tear everytime Emily Blunt stars in yet another garbage blockbuster) I can't even imagine 2 hours of her struggle acting.

Emily Blunt would have been great, but Scarlett Johansson is fine in the role. She brings a dry wit that is refreshing in these big, loud movies.

Is Agents of SHIELD still going? I can't imagine how. It's utter trash.

• Love 1

Emily Blunt would have been great, but Scarlett Johansson is fine in the role. She brings a dry wit that is refreshing in these big, loud movies.

Is Agents of SHIELD still going? I can't imagine how. It's utter trash.

Naw, it's been upgraded to serviceable. It's definitely not on Netflix level, but a huge improvement from where it started.

Guess it's time to start an Inhuman Massacre in the comics.  I shall wickedly await this.

Also, you can't have an Inhumans movie without the Fantastic Four.  DISNEY/MARVEL, YOU BUY THAT SHIT OUT NOW!!!!

Edited by bmoore4026

Inhumans would be a tough one. With the perfect director and the perfect actor for Black Bolt it could be awesome. But without getting the perfect people for those jobs having a main character that doesn't speak could be bad.

I mean, no one in the history of Marvel comics cared enough about Ant Man to give him a solo comics run, so an Inhumans movie shouldn't be out of the question despite they're relatively low profile. But if they can't make the script work its best to table it. Marvel studios biggest asset right now is its track record of everything being at least OK, or at least better than a Zach Snyder DC movie. Don't get greedy and put out bad product should be their first rule.

It appears it wasn't about the script:

Marvel Takes THE INHUMANS Off The Schedule
It's the ultimate move of independence

Yesterday it became public knowledge that Marvel Studios had unscheduled The Inhumans. Once dated for 2019, the movie has now been banished to the cornfield, and I suspect that it will never come back. And why would it? The film itself was a remnant of the old days when Ike Perlmutter was still the phantom menace overseeing Marvel Studios.

With the X-Men languishing at Fox, Ike decided to fight genetically enhanced superheroes with genetically enhanced superheroes. The Inhumans, a group of people who were granted super powers (and often super deformities) thanks to ancient alien tinkering with their DNA, would step into the role the mutants had long occupied in the Marvel Universe. Publishing fell right into line, pushing the Inhumans in a big way - and even, it seems, exiling most of the mutants from the Earth in the wake of an outbreak that is killing them. And Studios bowed to the pressure as well, putting The Inhumans on their long movie schedule.

But then there was a corporate coup. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige was able to appeal to the ultimate overlords at Disney and his division was removed from the yoke of Ike. That change, my sources tell me, has coincided with something of a golden age at Marvel Studios, a new era where the meddling from the Creative Committee is over and Feige is left to work directly with the filmmakers and foster a more creative, positive atmosphere.

Edited by VCRTracking

I mean, no one in the history of Marvel comics cared enough about Ant Man to give him a solo comics run, so an Inhumans movie shouldn't be out of the question despite they're relatively low profile.

I guess I must have hallucinated that Irredeemable Ant Man solo series in the mid 2000s, then? Ant Man isn't really more obscure than the Guardians of the Galaxy.

• Love 1

I'm going to be safe and spoiler tag this (I was reprimanded in another forum -- where I found this -- for not letting people know about the spoiler in the birth.movies.death article linked above).  (ETA  It's about the Inhumans cancellation.)

L5VKU1X.jpg

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

Could this be a sign that Marvel has the Fantastic Four back? Because the Inhumans ARE almost inextricably linked to them. Feige work your magic!!!

I know they originated in the Fantastic Four comics but I always think of them in connection to the X-Men/Avengers. My main introduction to the Inhumans was through Quicksilver/Crystal/Luna.

Luna/Crystal appeared in Peter David's (recent) X-Factor run and, even through I'm reading Uncanny Inhumans (which has both Human Torch and Beast) I still think of them in connection to X-Men over FF.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Even though it was one of the least favorite eras I thought there was nice soap opera stuff Black Knight's love triangle with Crystal and Sersi on The Avengers which got referenced the same time Pietro was in X-Factor. Bob Harras wrote The Avengers the same time he edited the X-Men books.

I love reading the first appearance of the Inhumans first appearance in Fantastic Four reprints. Lots of family melodrama and palace intrigue.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Meh, of all the Captain Marvel's that Marvel could have used, Carol Danvers seems like the least interesting.

She's second on my list. I'd rather they'd made the movie about Mar-Vell, but I guess they might think that the character would be seen as too similar to Superman by a lot of casually moviegoers.

I like Carol Danvers though, and I like the idea of someone like Yvonne Strahovski being cast in the role. Of course, I'll probably end up being disappointed by whoever they do pick.

• Love 3

Carol Danvers is was in the Marvel Universe Live event so she has been planned to be the role of Captain Marvel in the movies. Which was pretty good worth the ticket price. I think it may still be touring. If you haven't seen it check it out. Nice amount of action and they do some pretty impressive costume effects although the hulk looks funny. Mar-vell could still be in the movie as how she got her powers and took the name.

The Inhumans did introduce this little tidbit about groot and one just has to root for Maximus the Mad.

http://i.imgur.com/aw1m7FK.png

Even though it was one of the least favorite eras I thought there was nice soap opera stuff Black Knight's love triangle with Crystal and Sersi on The Avengers which got referenced the same time Pietro was in X-Factor. Bob Harras wrote The Avengers the same time he edited the X-Men books.

That was my first introduction to Crystal and Quicksilver. I pretty much only read X-Men but this storyline lined up with an X-Men/Avengers crossover. I kept up with The Avengers after the event because I liked Sersi and was curious how the whole situation would shake out. Especially with the dimensional/AU stuff and Sersi being driven crazy by an Evil version of Black Knight.

ETA: hmm, I might have my timeline reversed or I bought back issues of Avengers title after the Exodus/Genotian storyline.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I started reading because of "Operation Galactic Storm" the big 20 issue crossover that across like a dozen different titles and you had to buy all of them or you'd miss a chapter of the story. Some parts were definitely better than others.

I know fans dismiss that era because it seemed Bob Harras was trying to make The Avengers like the X-Men and make them "hip". For example, the leather jackets with an "A" patch on the shoulder, giving Black Knight stubble and a Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon mullet, having Crystal and Sersi fight over him like he was Archie and they were Betty and Veronica, getting rid of Hercules' beard and putting him a more modern looking outfit, but I thought it took some C-list characters and made them interesting. I read some interview with Harras at the time where he said it didn't make sense for Sersi, a character known for being a frivolous party girl in The Eternals book to join the Avengers. I liked some things like him putting color back into the Vision, who had been this milk white by John Byrne, Carol Danvers back from space and getting Hank Pym back as Giant Man.

Cryptic clue dropped about possible Captain Marvel casting and director.

If they really want to get Emily Blunt as Captain Marvel they should get her husband John Krasinski a cameo as Mar-Vell.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

The co-writer of Doctor Strange, C. Robert Cargill, says that they cast a white person as The Ancient One so that China wouldn't be pissed off at them for having a Tibetan character in the movie: http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-ancient-one-whitewash-china/

The Ancient One was a racist stereotype who comes from a region of the world that is in a very weird political place. He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bullshit and risk the Chinese government going, “Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.” If we decide to go the other way and cater to China in particular and have him be in Tibet – if you think it’s a good idea to cast a Chinese actress as a Tibetan character, you are out of your damn fool mind and have no idea what the f-ck you’re talking about.

Edited by ApathyMonger

Good luck seeing Iron Man and Spider-Man together without thinking of this:

Ha! LOL!

I am wondering if the Spiderman movie will take place BEFORE the events of Civil War and Tony's presence will show how Peter got involved in the conflict.

Inhumans has been pulled off release schedule -- it's not clear if it's being postponed or killed entirely.

Eh, I don't care about the Inhumans. They're kind of lame, and I don't really see any stories about them that won't replicate some parts of the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. And if that story that Vin Diesel was slated to play Black Bolt is true, then I'm fine with it being axed.

I'm much more interested in Captain Marvel and the still slight prospects of a Black Widow movie.

That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing a proper treatment of the Inhumans (and not the garbage on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D) - their Marvel Knight run (1998) is still one of my favorites.

Black Widow doesn't interest me, especially as she's written for the screen - and I find her barely tolerable in the comics.

Now, Captain Marvel - that I could get behind.

Inhumans would be a tough one. With the perfect director and the perfect actor for Black Bolt it could be awesome. But without getting the perfect people for those jobs having a main character that doesn't speak could be bad.

Isn't this true for just about every Marvel movie?  Think of what a mess Ant-man could have been without the pitch perfect casting of Paul Rudd.

• Love 1
That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing a proper treatment of the Inhumans (and not the garbage on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D) - their Marvel Knight run (1998) is still one of my favorites.

That was a great series. I'm usually not a fan of Paul Jenkins writing or Jae Lee's art but they pulled it off.

Edited by VCRTracking

So i guess all we need is a tigra and we have the whole original West Coast Avengers line up (with Rhodes in the Iron Man suit). Who do i have to pay to make the West Coast Avengers happen, even as a Marvel One-shot.

• Love 1
VCRTracking, on 24 Apr 2016 - 3:49 PM, said:VCRTracking, on 24 Apr 2016 - 3:49 PM, said:

I started reading because of "Operation Galactic Storm" the big 20 issue crossover that across like a dozen different titles and you had to buy all of them or you'd miss a chapter of the story. Some parts were definitely better than others.

I know fans dismiss that era because it seemed Bob Harras was trying to make The Avengers like the X-Men and make them "hip". For example, the leather jackets with an "A" patch on the shoulder, giving Black Knight stubble and a Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon mullet, having Crystal and Sersi fight over him like he was Archie and they were Betty and Veronica, getting rid of Hercules' beard and putting him a more modern looking outfit, but I thought it took some C-list characters and made them interesting. I read some interview with Harras at the time where he said it didn't make sense for Sersi, a character known for being a frivolous party girl in The Eternals book to join the Avengers. I liked some things like him putting color back into the Vision, who had been this milk white by John Byrne, Carol Danvers back from space and getting Hank Pym back as Giant Man.

Funny enough, I kind of like that era of The Avengers myself.  Didn't really care for Deathcry (could you get anymore 90s?) or The Crossing crossover (they had better not make a movie series out of that) or the fact that they shunted Iron Man and Scarlet Witch and the Jessica Carpenter Spider-Woman (the interesting one that worked for the FBI and was a single working mother) into the generic as hell Force Works.  But the rest I liked.

Speaking of Sersi, it's just occurred to me that I would much prefer an Eternals movie than an Inhumans one.  The Eternals have more ties to Thanos (Thanos is an Eternal, as is Eros/Starfox, his hotter brother with creepier powers) and that they're a superhuman race that regular humans have built myths around.  It would be more interesting if the public found out that these mythical people actually exist and ramifications that would have.

So, yeah, the Inhumans are a bad substitute for mutants and their plight.  But with The Eternals, I believe something similar could be done.

Edited by bmoore4026

Deathcry! Why did I remember her name being DeathChild? LOL

Did she actually turn out to be Deathbird's daughter? I remember them hinting at it at one point. I also remember them hinting that Adam X was the lost Summers' brother but, I think that changed to Vulcan.

I was interested in the Inhumans movie but, would support an Eternals movie as well.

• Love 1
Morrigan2575, on 25 Apr 2016 - 6:36 PM, said:

Deathcry! Why did I remember her name being DeathChild? LOL

Did she actually turn out to be Deathbird's daughter? I remember them hinting at it at one point. I also remember them hinting that Adam X was the lost Summers' brother but, I think that changed to Vulcan.

I was interested in the Inhumans movie but, would support an Eternals movie as well.

Yes, both the MCU and X-Men movies have been blessed with the lack of the crap that is The Shi'ar.  Meryl Streep would probably make a nice Lilandra, though.

Well, we've got Nathan Fillion (one of the few Nathans I tolerate, but I'm not going to get into that) as

Wonder Man

.  Still waiting for Mila Kunis as

Tigra

and Jessica Chastain as

The Jennifer Carpenter Spider-Woman aka The good one

.  Throw in Bettany as Vision and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym and we've got ourselves an Avengers West Coast movie!  And, just for the hell of it, we'll throw in Hercules, also.  And he will be bi leaning toward macho gay.

BvS is the reason we have Civil War

While going over how audience viewing tastes, especially towards superhero movie have changed, Captain America: Civil War directors Joe and Anthony Russo toldThe Hollywood Reporter that after Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was announced, it pushed the studio to realizing the third Captain America installment’s story needed to become a reality. They said:

Our pitch to them was: People will tell you they love chocolate ice cream — until you give it to them five days a week. It’s time to give them some rainbow sherbert. [Kevin Feige] said he thought we might be right. And after they announced Batman v. Superman, he said, ‘you guys are absolutely right.’ We needed to do something challenging with the material or we were going to start to lose the audience.

Did Marvel pull The Inhumans to reboot the Fantastic Four? (I can only hope)

Marvel knows they messed up, wants a headlining Asian superhero in the future

• Love 1

The co-writer of Doctor Strange, C. Robert Cargill, says that they cast a white person as The Ancient One so that China wouldn't be pissed off at them for having a Tibetan character in the movie:

I love how he criticizes the critiques by saying people don't understand the Tibet factor when pretty much everyone has been saying Marvel made the choice because of the Chinese market. Yet, strangely he seems unaware that more options existed than Tibetan man, Chinese-playing-Tibetan, or Tilda Swinton. And seriously? What was up with the Chinese actress playing a Tibetan character line? Did he mean a Chinese actress playing a Chinese character who was originally Tibetan?

If he did mean the latter, I guess I'm out of my mind, because I genuinely don't think there would have been a loud outcry if a Chinese actor/actress was cast to play the Ancient One as a Chinese character because we all got the politics. Also options? Nepalese. Burmese. Indian. Afghani. Pakistani. Bhutanese. Or really anywhere since if the Ancient One can be a white woman, the Ancient One could also be Black, Native American, Latino/a, etc. 

I hesitate to judge Tilda Swinton's Buddhist monk appearing lack of hair, but it certainly doesn't help right now. I think we're all hoping that at the very least Swinton's casting means some kind of interesting gender-bending otherworldy reinterpretation of the character.

• Love 3

It looks like The New Mutants is replacing lesbian Vietnamese Karma with straight white Magik.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/101531778.html

One of my first comics was during the 'Demon Bear' story line in New Mutants. I'm not certain when Magik joined, but she was already a member at that point, and it was pretty early in the run. So, I have no problem with her being in the movie. In fact, I would say they have all of the 'essential' characters from New Mutants. (Although it would be nice if they had Karma in the movie too).

(And check out the Demon Bear arc of NM. Bill Sienkiewicz's art is what got me into comics).

• Love 2

I think I'm more mad at the fact that an Asian lesbian comic book character is being denied representation on screen than anything. 

Admittedly, Karma wasn't with The New Mutants for very long - was in the first four or five issues, believed dead, returns morbidly obese because she was possessed by the Shadow King, went to Asgard and lost a bunch of weight, returned to team for about ten issues, left again, and has popped up sporadically ever since.  So yeah, not much to her character.

Just not a whole lot of gay or Asian comic book characters  in movies.  I mean, yes, there was Big Hero Six, but does that count considering it's part of The Disney Animated Canon. 

Well, I'm off to watch Sailor Moon S and the new Sailor Moon Crystal season.  We got some Asian lesbian superhero representation there.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't wait for the New Mutants movie.  I have been a fan of the X-Men for a long time but it was only within the last few years I started reading Chris Claremont's original run from the 80s and I will sincerely say that it is one of my favorite comic books.  I even got Chris Claremont to sign a New Mutants #1 comic at Comic-Con a few years ago.

I'm thrilled about the line-up of character, which is virtually the original line-up.  I totally understand switching Illyana for Karma though.  Ever since he character returned from Limbo in Uncanny X-Men #160, she's always been a great character.  She became a major member of the New Mutants (joining officially at about issue 14 I think) and one of the first major Marvel comic events in the 1980s, Inferno, focused around her.  She has awesome powers and is a sister of a X-Men stalwart so her inclusion was a must.

I liked Karma and I do wish she was in the movie too.  She was the original leader of the team but was written out after the sixth issue and even when she came back, CC didn't seem to know what to do with her.  Her character didn't start out as a lesbian but I believe that development occurred during the 2000s.  I disappointment about her not being in the movie is definitely understandable and I wish she was in it as well.  But I will say that Magik replacing Karma has nothing to do with not wanting to do a gay character but because of how prominent and important the Magik character was to the overall run of The New Mutants.

If Dani Moonstar hadn't been included (Mirage) I would have flipped out.  I'm pleased as well that the movie will be keeping the 3 women to 2 men ratio.  That number evens out at times but the New Mutants were a team that usually had a female majority membership.  And the team's diversity is still there.

Edited by benteen

I wonder what the fallout from Civil War is going to be for Scott in the next Ant-Man movie, I can't imagine that his ex-wife is going to be thrilled that he got himself arrested and is now in virtual exile in Wakanda because a guy he doesn't even know asked him to fight Iron Man for him.

(edited)

Yeah, I'm glad that Scott was involved in this movie but his throwing in with Team Cap makes no sense given his family situation.  His incarceration also led to his technology ending up in Stark's hands, which is what Pym didn't want.  Not to mention his identity exposed to everyone.

At least Clint has a history with the Avenger being a former member of the team, particularly Natasha whom his wife and kids pretty much considered\\ a member of the family.

Edited by benteen
(edited)

Clint's family already lives on some off the grid farm in the middle of nowhere, so I assume it won't be a huge deal for them to relocate to Wakanda with him, heck they might enjoy actually being around other people for a change.

There were some people talking about some minor (?) casting news from the Guardians of the Galaxy set where

Spoiler

a Simon Williams (Wonder Man) movie festival is taking place, and there are mock posters for multiple movies starring Simon, all featuring Nathan Fillion as Simon.

I think that's great casting, especially if it leads to a bigger part in a future Marvel movie than an Easter egg/cameo.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1

Yeah, I'm glad that Scott was involved in this movie but his throwing in with Team Cap makes no sense given his family situation.  His incarceration also led to his technology ending up in Stark's hands, which is what Pym didn't want.  Not to mention his identity exposed to everyone.

He met the Falcon first. Sam got in touch of him and told him Captain America needs his help fighting "psycho assassins" so he came. He didn't find out about Stark until he was in Germany.

• Love 1