Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

:Homer Simpson salivation noise:  Wow - I was already looking forward to this movie, then Chadwick Boseman being awesome in Civil War kicked it into overdrive, then possible Lupita Nyong'o, and now Michael B. Jordan?  And they're still making me wait two years?  Marvel doesn't play fair.

• Love 8

I've wanted all the good things for Michael B. Jordan since he pointed out that Hamilton was never president on The Wire.  I don't care about Fantastic 4 but I was still sad that it wasn't successful.  That's how much I love him.  His addition to Black Panther is awesome news!

• Love 2

As if the news of a pending Black Panther movie isn't awesome enough, Michael B. Jordan's & Lupita Nyong'o's involvement makes it even better and Ryan Coogler's directing it is the icing on the cake. Between Fruitvale Station & Creed, RC's track record in general and with MBJ in particular is amazing. If the writing's on point, then Black Panther will be brilliant.

• Love 2

Does anyone know of any fan fiction about the Marvel Universe that incorporates most of what we see of Marvel on the small and big screen but also add the  X-Men back into the Marvel universe?

Chadwick Boseman's performance as T'challa was good enough I'd have signed on to see Josh Trank's Black Panther, but each new bit of info about the movie makes it sound better and better. It's like the polar opposite of Batman v. Superman!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Enigma X said:

@Joe, I know the comics and read many, but the comics seem to not have the whole universe crossover much. I may be wrong about that.

They do overlap sometimes. Usually during the big crossovers, and sometimes on a smaller scale. As for actual fic with the movie versions of the characters, I don't know. Maybe write it yourself? :)

(edited)
On 5/12/2016 at 5:17 PM, Perfect Xero said:

Does anyone know of any fan fiction about the Marvel Universe that incorporates most of what we see of Marvel on the small and big screen but also add the  X-Men back into the Marvel universe?

On 5/15/2016 at 1:59 AM, Joe said:

They do overlap sometimes. Usually during the big crossovers, and sometimes on a smaller scale. As for actual fic with the movie versions of the characters, I don't know. Maybe write it yourself? :)

Marvel does have a series of comics based on the films; but I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

Edit: Dang quote boxes get me every time. :-/

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 1

I was about to post that. It's a shame because Tony definitely needed to be humbled by a female villain. Three guesses who was behind that decision  *cough* Perlmutter *cough* Thank god he's no longer has any say over the movies.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, OakGoblinFly said:

Marvel does have a series of comics based on the films; but I'm not sure if this is what you mean.

I actually meant the original Marvel comicverse, but that's interesting.

On 5/14/2016 at 2:37 PM, Enigma X said:

You can generally find something that incorporates various characters in some manner and is inspired by MCU and such but how good most of those are going to be is questionable. I love fanfic, I write fanfic but a lot of it is... bad. An old fic friend of mine did her own version of Avengers vs X-Men... pretty high body count but it made a lot more sense than what Marvel put out.

Another old fic friend has been writing Steve-centric tales starting with Freezer Burn and going on from there. X-Men don't show up very often but she's got a great grasp of the characters and has incorporated various comic canon and mixed it with the MCU inspired stories. For example, Bucky and Natasha know each other. She really likes to focus on Steve, Bucky and has recently brought Peggy in from the 40s as well and those are very well done. She's also done stories about Tony and did a really good one-shot of Carol Danvers, too. And all of these can be found at Archive of Our Own.

The problem is that the movies are very popular so you get a LOT of people writing these days so there's a lot of chaff to sort through before finding the wheat. Also, slash is very popular at AO3 so you have to wade through a lot of that, too.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, OakGoblinFly said:

I am not sure if this is what I am after either, but I will look into it. Thanks.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 4:37 PM, Enigma X said:

The Avengers Alliance Facebook game?  Though the "mutant ban" has extended to there as well, there are still crap loads of X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants and The Hellfire club do tie into the plots.

But, because of the mutant ban, we're not going to be getting Jubilee or Banshee or Siryn or Multiple Man or Polaris as playable characters nor Cassandra Nova or Exodus or Dr. Nemesis or The Marauders as villains; The Mutant Liberation Front has been killed by the Circle of 8 cultists throughout season 2.

Perhaps once Perlmutter and his cabal are gone, things can open up for mutants again.  I'm cock-eyed optimist; I don't care what anyone says about Fox owning mutants and X-Men and their rights.  Fuck studio rights.

I saw this article: http://io9.gizmodo.com/agents-of-shield-star-says-marvel-doesnt-care-enough-ab-1777057136

Tie in to what I just wrote, the X-Men have a better chance of showing up in the MCU than Daredevil or Jessica Jones.  And a lot of it has to do with the international market along with viewer confusion.

I don't think AoS is broadcast in many countries nor are Daredevil and Marvel's Alias available internationally (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so referencing their stories or characters could sour people toward the movies and keep them away, which, naturally, would be bad for Disney.  Movies and TV shows don't work like comic books, which is why, and thank God for this, Grant Gustin and Stephen Amell and (most importantly) Carlos Valdes aren't going to show up in Zack Snyder's despair fetish superhero movies.

Also, it sounded a lot like Chloe Bennet was whining.  "People who make Marvel movies, why don't you acknowledge what happens on our show?"  Because people don't give a fuck about SHIELD and would give even less fucks about Daisy Johnson.

What have I missed?  Anyone else care to chime in?

• Love 2

I heard it put on a podcast recently, the movies exist in the shows, but the shows don't exist in the movies. Funny way of doing things. Also, from what I've heard, Fiege has control of the movies, but Perlmutter has control of the shows. Inhumans is apparently a Perlmutter thing, so it was dropped.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

I don't think AoS is broadcast in many countries nor are Daredevil and Marvel's Alias available internationally (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Daredevil and Jessica Jones are available on Netflix internationally.

I honestly don't think the story of the X-Men, the hated & feared, the racism allegory, can work in the MCU. It's something I could let slide in the comics but the idea of the X-Men going from saving the world to being discriminated against in the same universe as the cinematic Avengers just...doesn't make much sense to me. It never did in the comics but you know, boom, pow, pretty pictures, you can ignore that shit.

I think that AoS isn't referenced in the movies because Feige is fully aware that it's trash. As for DD and JJ, there has yet to be an opportunity to mention them, they're low level superheroes (and in Jessica's case not a superhero at all) operating on a truly small scale.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

I don't think AoS is broadcast in many countries nor are Daredevil and Marvel's Alias available internationally (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so referencing their stories or characters could sour people toward the movies and keep them away, which, naturally, would be bad for Disney.  Movies and TV shows don't work like comic books, which is why, and thank God for this, Grant Gustin and Stephen Amell and (most importantly) Carlos Valdes aren't going to show up in Zack Snyder's despair fetish superhero movies.

Also, it sounded a lot like Chloe Bennet was whining.  "People who make Marvel movies, why don't you acknowledge what happens on our show?"  Because people don't give a fuck about SHIELD and would give even less fucks about Daisy Johnson.

What have I missed?  Anyone else care to chime in?

I think FOX International has it in much of Asia with Chloe Bennet being a Chinese pop star it would seem odd to ignore the market. I have seen it in the Philippines.

45 minutes ago, Raja said:

I think FOX International has it in much of Asia with Chloe Bennet being a Chinese pop star it would seem odd to ignore the market. I have seen it in the Philippines.

For real?  Chloe Bennet is a Chinese pop star?  I did not know this.

• Love 1

The bad thing is it sounds like Lady Sif won't be back because Jamie Alexander is tied up with her TV series work.

In other news, Michael Keaton sounds like a go as the Vulture for the MCU's version of Spiderman.   I like this a lot.  And again, the Birdman jokes write themselves.  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The bad thing is it sounds like Lady Sif won't be back because Jamie Alexander is tied up with her TV series work.

In other news, Michael Keaton sounds like a go as the Vulture for the MCU's version of Spiderman.   I like this a lot.  And again, the Birdman jokes write themselves.  

So... sounds like she's in it. Perhaps it's a more limited role, or she pops up as a surprise (not so much if she just gave it away though).

Between Michael B. Jordan & Lupita N'yongo (I hope) for BP, and now Jeff Goldblum and a confirmed Cate Blanchett, Marvel is nailing it with their casting. 

I think Jaimie will be there for Ragnarok.  They announced months ago that Sif is supposed to have a significant role in the story.

• Love 1
(edited)

Between Michael B. Jordan & Lupita N'yongo (I hope) for BP, and now Jeff Goldblum and a confirmed Cate Blanchett, Marvel is nailing it with their casting. 

Marvel keeps getting these great actors to appear in their movies, whether it's a big part or not, and it occurred to me the other day that this particular franchise is so big and popular right now, that I would think most actors would jump at the chance to be a part of it. 

Well, our family happens to really enjoy SHIELD, but I don't think putting any of their characters (except Coulson, if they decide to bring him back) is a good idea only because it must be overwhelming to fit as many of the movie characters as they do into one movie, let alone throwing in those from tv.  However, as a shout out to those of us who do like the show, perhaps a mention of a character or two, if possible, would be nice (although, sorry to say, I would never expect Daisy or any of the inhumans to be one of those mentioned.  I think throwing in the name of a scientist or the "cavalry" would be a little easier). 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 6

I don't think that the people who make the movies want to deal with the whole Inhumans mess the show has created. Agents of SHIELD is already ignoring how the Sokovia Accords were set-up in the movie in favor of acting like they're the SHRA from the comics, so why should the movies bother to incorporate them?

On 5/22/2016 at 9:25 AM, Shannon L. said:

Marvel keeps getting these great actors to appear in their movies, whether it's a big part or not, and it occurred to me the other day that this particular franchise is so big and popular right now, that I would think most actors would jump at the chance to be a part of it. 

Well, our family happens to really enjoy SHIELD, but I don't think putting any of their characters (except Coulson, if they decide to bring him back) is a good idea only because it must be overwhelming to fit as many of the movie characters as they do into one movie, let alone throwing in those from tv.  However, as a shout out to those of us who do like the show, perhaps a mention of a character or two, if possible, would be nice (although, sorry to say, I would never expect Daisy or any of the inhumans to be one of those mentioned.  I think throwing in the name of a scientist or the "cavalry" would be a little easier). 

When I was watching the lifeboat scene in Age of Ultron, I kept thinking that putting the AOS cast (minus Coulson, cause Whedon was keeping him dead) on the boats and helicarrier bridge as crewmembers would have been perfect. Not even with any lines, just there and helping. It was clearly an 'all hand moment' and would have been a great shout-out to the TV show fans without distracting or confusing the movie-only people.

• Love 5

Oh, for fuck's sake. GOTG characters are going to pop up in Infinity War. (Warning, autoplaying video.) No! If there's one thing I learned from AOU and reinforced with CW, more characters does not mean better story. In fact, it seems to mean the complete opposite. Less characters, give them all a big part to play. No, that's stupid. Instead we'll just focus or three or four, have the other dozen just standing around collecting their paycheques and looking useless. Much better!

Looks like the MCU is becoming something I no longer enjoy.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I thought it was common knowledge for awhile now that the GOTG crew was in Infinity Wars.

So did I. It seemed obvious fromnthe setup of GotG that they'd play a role. They're actually the mobie that's most directly connected to Thanos. 

• Love 7

Yeah, I heard that a while ago and not willing to write off the movie for having too many characters yet.  I'll wait and see, but then again, I'm still under Marvel's spell, so, imo, while they can do some movies better than others, they can still do no wrong.  Besides, I loved GOTG.

• Love 3

I said in another forum that large TV show casts don't bother me. Well, neither does large movie casts. I quite enjoy them when done well. It is a treat to see all these different characters play off each other. As with anything, small or large, it simply needs to be executed well.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Joe said:

I'm just starting to feel that these movies are getting bloated and losing focus. More isn't always merrier.

Despite the pre-release protestations that it wasn't the case, Civil War was as bad as any superhero movie I've seen, for overstuffing with extraneous characters.

I mean, the fifteen minute (was it fifteen? Could have been fifty, honestly) fight scene at the airport that was basically a round robin letting all the characters show off what they could do, was the most blatant example I can think of.

Large casts bother me because I like characters, not action scenes. You give me four characters who are developed well, who are interesting and engaging, I'll be happy. Throw twenty characters at me, give them half a dozen lines each and paper-thin personalities and ask me to sit back and stop thinking? No thanks. I'll just stick to solo Marvel movies from now on, if that's possible, and the Netflix stuff.

(edited)

Expecting a full arc (which is what a lot of the complaints seems to come from, "Wahh [insert character] only got 5 minutes of screentime." Yeah, well the movie isn't about them) for every character in a superhero team up two hour movie is expecting entirely too much. As long as the characters act in character and the story calls for them I don't care how many people are in the movie.

And Infinity War, or whatever they're going to end up calling these movies, seems designed to be a culmination of a decade worth of story. I'd be surprised if it wasn't full of characters from multiple movies. Marvel can go straight to hell if they dare give me a small intimate Avengers movie, fuck that noise.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 10

Considering how many characters were in Civil War, I was impressed that they gave each character a moment to shine.  I wasn't expecting full arcs (that would be unrealistic) but was surprised that no one got neglected in the film.

• Love 11
(edited)

I also like that the big laughs don't actually come until Spider Man and Ant Man(the ones least connected with the main conflict) show up more than an hour and a half in. For the most part it's fairly serious with a few jokes here and there. The Lagos mission for the most part is very no-nonsense affair with one joke about Sam wanting Natasha to thank Redwing. Tony isn't actually his usual glib self until the scenes with Peter Parker. Lots of jokes worked for the first Avengers movies because these big personalities from different worlds were coming together for the first time and clashing. Humor helped both unify them for the audience and eased the tension. I think the reason it didn't work so well in Age of Ultron was now that they were somewhat friendly and working together as a unit the jokes seemed excessive.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

if true it's a good move for Marvel. They were never getting X-Men back,  so trade off the TV rights for Fantastic Four and bring more properties home.

Hell, with the way FOX is going (save Deadpool) putting X-Men TV Shoes on thei air could hasten their demise. Leaving Marvel to scoop the properties back quicker.

• Love 2

I've heard this story before so we'll wait and see if it's true or not.  It would be a smart move on Marvel's part.  They are never getting X-Men or Deadpool back at this point (Disney doesn't do R-rated films so DP would lose something) and it's a way to bring some big characters back into the MU fold.  Considering how poorly Marvel has done with most of their villains, bringing in Doctor Doom and Galactus would be huge.

• Love 1