Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

It wasn't the sceptre that went back to Asguard, it was the Tesseract. Last we saw of the sceptre in Avengers was Nat using it to close the portal. She probably handed it over to SHIELD right after.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was also angry over them killing off Quicksilver.  I preferred this version to the visually interesting, but vastly overpowered Fox X-Men version.  I always thought this Quicksilver was truer to the comics, while the Fox version was basically The Flash.  

In any case, some have suggested that Quicksilver might be brought back to life by the infinity gems somehow.

Wow, the AT&T girl is going to be Squirrel Girl?  How cool is that?  I wonder if they're going to give her the buck teeth, lol.

I've always liked Squirrel Girl's tagline:  "She has the powers of both squirrel and girl".

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

I was also angry over them killing off Quicksilver.

Same here. I really liked this take on the character (I liked the X Men one too, but I agree that this one seemed more true to the comic version) and I thought he had a lot of potential, that all got wasted when he was killed off in his first movie in the franchise. His death didn't even really do anything or affect anybody. Maybe you could say it was redeeming himself, but I think its a better redemption story to have him keep being a good guy, instead of dying right before the end of the movie. I know that bringing characters back from the dead is cheap and SUPER cliché, especially in comic books, BUT with the Infinity War coming up and all kinds of crazy powerful power rings in play, there are some decent excuses to bring him back in a way that actually makes sense. I mean, he's a pretty major character in the comic book verse, and I think the story could be served better with him being alive than dead. I mean, people have come back from the dead before, its not like this is something that's never happened.

• Love 5

I'm so not looking forward to some of the Avengers dying :-(

I know that the actors can't play the characters forever and there are more characters being introduced but I'm not ready to let Steve, Tony, Natasha, Thor,. Clint, Banner, etc... go. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself but it's hard. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Oh @Jazzy24 I am right there with you. Its like I'm constantly torn between my head, which says:

"Logically, it would be ridiculous and anti climactic if no major characters died in their big fight against Thanos. Plus, the actors cant stay in these movies forever, and a major death could raise the steaks and add gravitas to the whole universe"

And my heart, which says:

"NO! DONT YOU DARE KILL OFF ANY OF MY BELOVED CHARACTERS!!! THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY! MY HEART CANT TAKE IT!"

The struggle is real.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, he's a pretty major character in the comic book verse, and I think the story could be served better with him being alive than dead.

Yeah, if Quicksilver's not around, who is going to disapprove of Wanda's relationship with Vision?  (I just had a thought - if Vision loses his gem, maybe Wanda can reanimate him with her hex power).

Honestly, if you're a well known character in a comic book who gets killed, your odds of getting resurrected are better than 50/50.  Maybe considerably better.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh @Jazzy24 I am right there with you. Its like I'm constantly torn between my head, which say:

"Logically, it would be ridiculous and anti climactic if no major characters died in their big fight against Thanos. Plus, the actors cant stay in these movies forever, and a major death could raise the steaks and add gravitas to the whole universe"

And my heart, which says:

"NO! DONT YOU DARE KILL OFF ANY OF MY BELOVED CHARACTERS!!! THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY! MY HEART CANT TAKE IT!"

The struggle is real.

It is especially tricky because it is not like comics with the sliding scale timeline where everything happens over like 8 years. Well i guess you could do that except for the fact that actors age. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I'm so not looking forward to some of the Avengers dying :-(

I read "'Avengers' and 'dying' in the same sentence and it made the bottom fall out of my stomach, that's how not ready I am.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It is especially tricky because it is not like comics with the sliding scale timeline where everything happens over like 8 years. Well i guess you could do that except for the fact that actors age. 

I checked for the hell of it, and of the main cast of Avengers, RDJ is the oldest at 52 and ScarJo the youngest at 33. Even realizing that, I'm so not prepared to say goodbye to the characters. It'd be like losing Wolverine all over again, and I didn't/don't even like Wolverine as much as I like the Avengers. Even Barton. ;-)

• Love 4

Oh god. I know it's coming and that practicality dictates that actors are human and age but I'm so not looking forward to losing one of our Original Six. And whoever said upthread about losing at least one in Infinity War, I think you are right. Especially since it's going to be 2 movies, I'd put money that the first one ends on someone's death and they are all potential victims: Thor, Cap and Iron Man have all had 3 stand-alone movies (and aren't contacted for more so far as I know), Hulk can't have his own movie (legal issues) and there's never been anything but rumor about putting Nat or Barton into a stand-alone. Versus the Guardians, Black Panther, Spiderman and Ant-Man all having contracts that take them past Infinity War.

I think I'm crying already.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

My gut is telling me it's Steve. ?????????

For the love of God don't let him die a virgin!!!

Probably. You know he is going to lift that damn hammer at some point. And if being the type of person who would give his life to stop a bomb and save millions doesn't make him worthy, then going on a last ditch suicide attack against Thanos to savehis friends I think has to be what does.

Plus Cap dying would be just the type of thing  to make a bunch of  original Avengers retire either permanantly or just for an extended period. If they have some one go away for a while when they come back it's a great time to recast.

Also if Whedon was still directing you know Cap would die pretty much right after he and Tony make up.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 7

You know, that AT&T girl is pretty cute.  They're going to spoil her looks if they make her wear those squirrel teeth.  Which I imagine they will, since it's part of the character.  You never know with these adaptations though.    Oh well.

19 hours ago, rmontro said:

Honestly, if you're a well known character in a comic book who gets killed, your odds of getting resurrected are better than 50/50.  Maybe considerably better.

There was that touching scene of Cap, Widow and Maria Hill standing outside the surgical theater -- all that emoting went to waste, because I KNEW he wasn't going to stay dead.

As for Quicksilver, that was actually touching, but the idea that he could push them out of the way but not get clear himself seems kinda iffy.

5 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

As for Quicksilver, that was actually touching, but the idea that he could push them out of the way but not get clear himself seems kinda iffy.

I don't think it's that hard to believe, he was just a split split split split second too slow.

I can't figure out how to link the pictures, but Marvel's Facebook page had a couple posted last night with the caption

Spoiler

"Major reveal alert! The children if Thanos, with Thanos himself, Josh Brolin!" 

The pictures showed him sitting in front of posters of Thanos with 4 other characters. Anyone know who they are? I don't see Gamora or Nebula among them. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I can't figure out how to link the pictures, but Marvel's Facebook page had a couple posted last night with the caption

I think that if it's info that's officially released by Marvel it doesn't count as a spoiler, so ...

They're the Black Order, Thanos's most powerful henchmen/right hand men who were only introduced in the comics a few years ago to help Thanos conquer worlds and find the Infinity Gems. They have Goth rock names like Corvus Glaive, Proxima Midnight, Ebony Maw, Black Dwarf (name apparently changed to Cull Obsidian in the film) (There's a 5th member, Supergiant, who is not in the picture from facebook, so she might not be in the movie). Corvus, Proxima, and Dwarf/Cull are super powered warrior/assassin types, Maw has the ability to persuade people to do almost anything, Supergiant is a telepath who can possess people. In the comics each one of them is capable of taking on a team of heroes by themselves.

• Love 2

I was watching a bit of Iron Man 3 the other day.  It's my least favorite of the three.  2 is actually my favorite (the one everybody likes to rag on).  The first one is probably a better movie, but the origin story bogs it down.  I think 2 is the most fun to rewatch.  You've got War Machine, the suitcase armor, Nick Fury, The Black WIdow, dancing Justin Hammer, all kinds of fun.  But I'm getting off track.

The thing that struck me watching 3 was how much of a great movie it could have been if that had really been the Mandarin.  I know that's an old topic, but that opinion still holds up years later.  IMO.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I was watching a bit of Iron Man 3 the other day.  It's my least favorite of the three.  2 is actually my favorite (the one everybody likes to rag on).  The first one is probably a better movie, but the origin story bogs it down.  I think 2 is the most fun to rewatch.  You've got War Machine, the suitcase armor, Nick Fury, The Black WIdow, dancing Justin Hammer, all kinds of fun.  But I'm getting off track.

The thing that struck me watching 3 was how much of a great movie it could have been if that had really been the Mandarin.  I know that's an old topic, but that opinion still holds up years later.  IMO.

I'm the total opposite. I love Iron Man 3, was very disappointed in Iron Man 2 and thought the origin was the best part of the first movie. I love it because Tony doesn't gain superpowers but genuinely becomes a new person. Of course like his armor that person still needs continual upgrades and improvement!

Iron Man 2 I felt the story and the villain were subpar. Whiplash hates Tony's dad? Well big deal so does Tony. I will say the part where he puts on the suitcase armor in the fight with Whiplash is one of best IM moments ever.

I know a lot of people were disappointed the MCU Mandarin but like that the one we saw turned out to be this drunken scoundrel Cockney actor. My problem with the Mandarin in the comics isn't just that he was a racist stereotype but was that he was always such a B-list villain. He wasn't a great archnemesis as Doctor Doom, Baron Zemo, Magneto, Kingpin, Green Goblin because those characters were able to cause the hero real pain. They HURT them. In Iron Man's best stories: "Demon in a Bottle" and "Armor Wars" the Mandarin. The Mandarin was fine as a B villain because frankly for a long time, Iron Man was a B-list hero.  He never really mattered unless he was part of the Avengers and Tony Stark was always more interesting than Iron Man himself. Then the movie came along with both the suit looking better in live action than it ever had drawn on the page and Robert Downey Jr  bringing so much charisma and humor than Tony Stark ever had, and the character became mainstream icon and the top star for the MCU.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I know a lot of people were disappointed the MCU Mandarin but like that the one we saw turned out to be this drunken scoundrel Cockney actor. My problem with the Mandarin in the comics isn't just that he was a racist stereotype but was that he was always such a B-list villain. 

I agree the Mandarin "twist" was funny.  And you have a point about the Mandarin being a B-list villain.  The problem is that Killian was a C or D-list villain, so making him the main villain instead of the Mandarin was a downgrade.  And the trailers set up the Mandarin as an effective terrorist/villain, so it was a disappointment when they switched horses in mainstream.  Even though yeah, it was a clever idea.  Besides, remember the main criticism Marvel Studios has received is that their villains haven't been that memorable.  So the Mandarin didn't have a very high bar to pass.  He looked great from what we saw of him.

Great point about the suit looking better in live action than drawn on the page.  Usually it's the other way around, movies have a hard time making the costumes "live up" to the comics.  I remember when I was a kid thinking that Iron Man would lend itself well to live action.  And of course, enough can't be said with what Downey did for and with the role.  I remember seeing him in an interview before the movie came out and he was just so spot on as Tony Stark there was an excitement in the air.  

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I'm the total opposite. I love Iron Man 3, was very disappointed in Iron Man 2 and thought the origin was the best part of the first movie. I love it because Tony doesn't gain superpowers but genuinely becomes a new person. Of course like his armor that person still needs continual upgrades and improvement!

Iron Man 2 I felt the story and the villain were subpar. Whiplash hates Tony's dad? Well big deal so does Tony. I will say the part where he puts on the suitcase armor in the fight with Whiplash is one of the best IM moments ever.

IMO, the bolded part isn't true.  I think Howard and Tony definitely had a contentious relationship, that between Tony's lackadaisical approach to, well, everything and Howard's expectations that his son would do more with his life than just aimlessly fart around there was lots for them to fight about, but I don't think Tony hated his dd. Tony asks Bruce in The Avengers if Steve was the guy his father "couldn't shut up about", and from that I think it can be taken that Howard did a lot of contrasting and comparing between his kid and Cap, and it stands to reason that Rogers would almost always come out ahead. I would certainly have a chip on my shoulder if I was constantly being measured against the greatest soldier in history and found lacking.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
to fix coding
  • Love 1

I would have liked Iron-Man 2 better if I could understand what Mickey Rourke was saying. And that list... Buzzfeed do like the clicks. This is controversy-baiting. Just ignore it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

IMO, the bolded part isn't true.  I think Howard and Tony definitely had a contentious relationship, that between Tony's lackadaisical approach to, well, everything and Howard's expectations that his son would do more with his life than just aimlessly fart around there was lots for them to fight about, but I don't think Tony hated his dd. Tony asks Bruce in The Avengers if Steve was the guy his father "couldn't shut up about", and from that I think it can be taken that Howard did a lot of contrasting and comparing between his kid and Cap, and it stands to reason that Rogers would almost always come out ahead. I would certainly have a chip on my shoulder if I was constantly being measured against the greatest soldier in history and found lacking.

Plus Howard would have been a total old man dad when Tony was a kid so that probably didn't help their relationship and how they related to each other.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I would have liked Iron-Man 2 better if I could understand what Mickey Rourke was saying. And that list... Buzzfeed do like the clicks. This is controversy-baiting. Just ignore it.

I think it would have been a lot better if whiplash was a better villain played by a better actor. I mean his power suit kind of sucked when all you had to do was shoot him to defeat him. I liked IM3 better partially because Tony seemdd to spend more time out of the suit and had to rely on his intelligence to get by and figure things out.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think it would have been a lot better if whiplash was a better villain played by a better actor. I mean his power suit kind of sucked when all you had to do was shoot him to defeat him. I liked IM3 better partially because Tony seemdd to spend more time out of the suit and had to rely on his intelligence to get by and figure things out.

Well, Whiplash did come back a the end with an improved suit.  I was disappointed in Whiplash when I first saw the movie, but I've enjoyed him more on subsequent viewings. 

Your reason for liking 3 is the same reason some people don't like it.  One thing that kind of bugged me about 3 was how flimsy the armor was.  It seems like everytime it got hit, the entire armor fell apart.  This was part of the redesign that made it more modular, with all the separate parts being able to fly, I guess.  Some people even say the weakness of the armor was a symptom of the PTSD Tony was going through.  Maybe.  It just seems odd because the one thing you would think an iron suit would do would be protect you.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I meant to say that Tony didn't worship his dad and think he was infallible so that when Vanko made his accusations that Stark stole his father's idea and ruined him Tony didn't have this moment where he realized his father had feet of clay.

The Agent Carter series where young Howard Stark is played Dominic Cooper showed how much like his father Tony was, but also revealed how he was different. In a first season episode:

"I grew up on the lower east side. My father sold fruit. My mother sewed shirt-waists for a factory. Let me tell you, you don’t get to climb the American ladder without picking up some bad habits on the way. There’s a ceiling for certain types of people, based on how much money your parents have, your social class, your religion, your sex."

I think because Howard was poor and had to struggle he thought Tony had it too easy growing up rich. Also his looking at Cap as his "greatest creation" until he admitted it was Tony later. Thanks to Tumblr:

tumblr_orslzzCqA21qjmus3o3_r3_540.gif

tumblr_orslzzCqA21qjmus3o4_r3_540.gif

tumblr_orslzzCqA21qjmus3o2_r4_540.gif

tumblr_inline_orsxl3lpk81qixv0m_540.gif

http://mamalaz.tumblr.com/post/162011552086/the-relationship-between-tony-and-howard-stark

• Love 5
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

Well, Whiplash did come back a the end with an improved suit.  I was disappointed in Whiplash when I first saw the movie, but I've enjoyed him more on subsequent viewings. 

Your reason for liking 3 is the same reason some people don't like it.  One thing that kind of bugged me about 3 was how flimsy the armor was.  It seems like everytime it got hit, the entire armor fell apart.  This was part of the redesign that made it more modular, with all the separate parts being able to fly, I guess.  Some people even say the weakness of the armor was a symptom of the PTSD Tony was going through.  Maybe.  It just seems odd because the one thing you would think an iron suit would do would be protect you.  

I did read somewhere once that part of the reason RDJ is out of the suit so much in IM3 was because marvel basically said (and negotiated) that for the amount of money they were paying him, they actually wanted him on camera. Not him just doing voice over while a stand in wearing the suit or a CGI iron man in on screen.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I meant to say that Tony didn't worship his dad and think he was infallible so that when Vanko made his accusations that Stark stole his father's idea and ruined him Tony didn't have this moment where he realized his father had feet of clay.

It's a family thing: I can say bad things about my dad, but that doesn't mean you can say bad things about my dad.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2017 at 8:39 PM, JessePinkman said:

GOTG2 was not...good. Certainly not better than The Avengers! Or the original GOTG! This list is insane!

I loved GOTG2.  

It's so weird seeing the Inhumans on TV as a series.  It has a '60s like feel to it to me.  And that guy who plays Maximus/Ramsay Bolton looks kind of like Grant Wilson from Ghost Hunters.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2017 at 11:39 AM, VCRTracking said:

Iron Man 2 I felt the story and the villain were subpar. Whiplash hates Tony's dad? Well big deal so does Tony. I will say the part where he puts on the suitcase armor in the fight with Whiplash is one of best IM moments ever.

I know a lot of people were disappointed the MCU Mandarin but like that the one we saw turned out to be this drunken scoundrel Cockney actor. My problem with the Mandarin in the comics isn't just that he was a racist stereotype but was that he was always such a B-list villain. He wasn't a great archnemesis as Doctor Doom, Baron Zemo, Magneto, Kingpin, Green Goblin because those characters were able to cause the hero real pain. They HURT them. In Iron Man's best stories: "Demon in a Bottle" and "Armor Wars" the Mandarin. The Mandarin was fine as a B villain because frankly for a long time, Iron Man was a B-list hero.  He never really mattered unless he was part of the Avengers and Tony Stark was always more interesting than Iron Man himself. Then the movie came along with both the suit looking better in live action than it ever had drawn on the page and Robert Downey Jr  bringing so much charisma and humor than Tony Stark ever had, and the character became mainstream icon and the top star for the MCU.

Iron Man 3 is so much better than Iron Man 2 in my opinion. Because IM2 is so flabby and underwhelming, Marvel and Disney start holding the reigns a lot tighter on all of their movies. Iron Man was partially improvised and it had done really well. Marvel was fairly hands off during IM2 in ways that they would probably never be again. Justin Theroux was the screenwriter, but Downey had filmed Tropic Thunder with Theroux. There was a lot of ad libbing in that movie too. Favreau had briefly talked to Shane Black, who would write and direct IM3. Black suggested that instead of a straight adaptation of Demon in a Bottle, they use Robert Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer became depressed over his contributions to the nuclear bomb and the cold war arms race. IM2 is a mess of ideas. It's got some of that Oppenheimer motivation, some Demon in a Bottle, set up for the Avengers, and Whiplash and Hammer as villains with generic grudges against the Starks. It's just such a flabby scattershot film.

Shane Black actually revisits the Oppenheimer motivation in IM3. Tony has PTSD because of the Avengers. However, AIM, Killian, the Mandarin, and Extremis are the direct result of Tony's condescension and smug dismissal of their intelligence, their ambition, and ideas. The attack on his house in the film is Tony once again creating his own problems because of his arrogance. I guess if you were a purist, you might be disappointed by the Mandarin trick, but it resonated with me because of 9/11 and al-Qaeda. Osama bin Laden was the face, but there were many other people much more responsible for their terrorism. So while we were busy looking in one direction for their leader, the rest of the organization was busy doing a lot more damage in the places where we weren't looking. That's exactly how Killian used the Mandarin. The change worked for me because that's the world we live in now.

• Love 6
On 20/07/2017 at 8:33 AM, anna0852 said:

I imagine that's quite the balancing act for Marvel. They want the coolness of Iron Man on screen but want their money's worth when paying RDJ prices.

I have read a theory that part of the reason Scarlett Johansson hasn't gotten a black widow movie is for similar reasons. She was the second highest paid actor in Age of Ultron (20 million, RDJ was paid 40), a movie that had a huge cast (which meant limited time on set for her). If she was carrying her own movie she would have to be on set a lot more. And since Black Widow doesn't wear a mask or suit, you can't just replace her on camera with a stunt person in a suit or a CGI character. In which case how much more than 20 million would you have to pay her her under those circumstances?

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, starri said:

Could this maybe, possibly mean they have the FF rights back?  Please?

I doubt that given this news:

http://www.avclub.com/article/noah-hawley-developing-doctor-doom-movie-fox-258378

I read somewhere that Fox owns the rights to the Super-Skrull, but Marvel can use generic skrulls. I thought that was a rumor, but I guess it's true.

My question is about the Dr Doom movie. I have to wonder about the language on Fox's contract. Do they have to do a 'Fantastic Four' movie to keep the move rights, or will this movie serve the same purpose?