Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

My question is about the Dr Doom movie. I have to wonder about the language on Fox's contract. Do they have to do a 'Fantastic Four' movie to keep the move rights, or will this movie serve the same purpose?

My guess is that this spinoff will be enough to keep the rights.  It's probably the only reason they're doing it.  I have little interest in this project.  Doctor Doom is one of my favorite comic book villains, but he's been one of the worst parts of all three Fantastic Four movies.  They have absolutely no idea what to do with him, and what they've shown us bears little resemblance to Stan Lee's epic creation.  There are few things that make me as angry as Fox's stubbornly holding on to the Fantastic Four license, leaving us rabid fans of the Fantastic Four without any hope of ever seeing a decent movie based on that franchise.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, some really good Marvel news coming out of SDCC. 

I'm a little bummed we haven't gotten any trailers yet. I know they previewed The Punisher (haven't seen it yet) and I was hoping for something on Infinity War.

The Thor Ragnorok trailer was really good though.

Edited by Morrigan2575
7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The Thor Ragnorok trailer was really good though.

The second trailer is better than the first one I saw, which I couldn't make sense of. Probably more to do with me than anything else, but still. I watched it four times and still couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The second trailer is better than the first one I saw, which I couldn't make sense of. Probably more to do with me than anything else, but still. I watched it four times and still couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.

I'm talking about the SDCC trailer that just got released today (I think). That one is really good, sold me on the movie.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm talking about the SDCC trailer that just got released today (I think). That one is really good, sold me on the movie.

It's so bright and so is that poster. 

I LOVE that Marvel is embracing color into their movies

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

It's so bright and so is that poster. 

I LOVE that Marvel is embracing color into their movies

It's so different and yet I'm loving it, just like I loved GOTG2 poster. I hope Captain Marvel follows suit.

10 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Captain Marvel fighting Skrulls in the 90s? Okay I want some Ace of Base on the soundtrack.

ETA: Me likey:

tumblr_otiwqbACKK1r05yx3o1_500.jpg

I can see Ant-Man being near microscopic as a reason that "we", the MCU general populace, knew nothing about Hank Pym or other enhanced folks between Captain America falling in WWII and Tony Stark announcing that I'm Iron Man. I guess Carol Danvers has to be sort of an X-Files set up with the Skrulls passing as human. The question will be how do they keep her age if Brie Larson is eventually going to replace the two Chris' and RDJ when they retire like Hugh Jackman just did? Some kind of time anomaly, suspended animation, the Kree power set making her basically a newer model Inhuman? At the time of her casting I said that they have to cast with their eyes on  ten years in the future but character wise we are talking about 30 years into the future

• Love 2

There has also been some snippets of the Infinity War trailer showing up on twitter, including the first 15 seconds, bearded Steve with a spear/staff, Wanda & Bucky with a rifle.  It all looks freakin' amazing!

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm just scouring the net for any snippet of Infinity War scenes I can get. I've basically become The Vulture, but instead of looking for weapons, I'm looking for footage. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So much stuff coming up! Captain Marvel! Original Wasp! Thor! Defenders! 

Don't forget Black Panther, Inhumans & last but not least, Avengers: Infinity War!

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Saw the the clip (thanks for the link BetterButter!!!!), and yes... Oh. My. God.  And both posters are amazing!!  I was mainly anxious for Black Panther (which I still am), but after seeing the trailer for Thor, I can't wait for that either!!  AHHHH!!!  There's still too long to wait!!!  **kicks over that stupid 'Patience' PSA**

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

I still think Infinity Wars is gonna be a damn mess. There's too many characters. No way it doesn't feel stuffed. Felt the same way about Civil War. 

That's my fear too. CW had too many characters to do them justice. IW has twice as many characters. How many will end up simply being cannon fodder?

PS: They better not kill Steve or I will be one very unhappy camper.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

That's my fear too. CW had too many characters to do them justice. IW has twice as many characters. How many will end up simply being cannon fodder?

I was just thinking about that since I just saw Guardians 2 today.  After seeing that Nebula needs to get a pretty damn awesome closure scene with Thanos at some point before he is beaten. But looking at the cast list she is like a 4th string cast member so how are they going to have time for that?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

Me too, but I've decided the way I'm handling that is if anything like that happens and they don't fix it on screen by the end, I'm just going to assume there will be a follow up detour to "Tahiti" off screen.  And I can see Steve wanting his public persona to "die", so I'd actually look forward to that, just so long as Nomad is still out there somewhere in the shadows.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

Me too, but I've decided the way I'm handling that is if anything like that happens and they don't fix it on screen by the end, I'm just going to assume there will be a follow up detour to "Tahiti" off screen.  And I can see Steve wanting his public persona to "die", so I'd actually look forward to that, just so long as Nomad is still out there somewhere in the shadows.  

If the worst happens, well, I am no stranger to living in the land of denial. ?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, scriggle said:

The real important characters in CW were the ones that made it to the third act, Steve, Bucky, Tony and T'Challa. Everybody else were supporting but at least they had their moments where they got to do something cool.

Kevin Feige Confirms Captain Marvel Features Kree-Skrull War

• Love 3
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

The real important characters in CW were the ones that made it to the third act, Steve, Bucky, Tony and T'Challa. Everybody else were supporting but at least they had their moments where they got to do something cool.

Kevin Feige Confirms Captain Marvel Features Kree-Skrull War

That's an awesome poster.  They need to make more movie posters like that instead of the photoshop crap they have the audacity to pass off as poster art.

• Love 3

I'm so excited we're finally getting news on Captain Marvel and I love that Ant-Man and Wasp poster.

Has anyone heard about plans for Captain Marvel future? I only ask because the first thought I had when it was announced that the original movie would take place in 1990s was that it opened the door for Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) in the sequel or possible spinoff.

I was thinking about how they might change things up after the Infinity War is done and i am wondering if there is any chance they would do Wesr Coast Avengers. They have just about the whole crew. Even though i don't love Renner as hawkeye he might work, Rhodey in the Iron Man suit with everyone thinking its Tony.  Find a way to pull Mockingbird in from Agents of SHIELD. Simon Williams (Wonderman) exists as a deleted scene in Guardians volume 2. Then maybe get Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, just as their science guy and maybe add Wanda and/or the vision.

Williams becoming wonder man could be a plot point. Plus after whatever goes down with Thanos, moving west might be a good choice for whoever is left. 

• Love 2
On 7/23/2017 at 9:07 PM, scriggle said:

I heard a rumor that if Steve dies (or "dies" and becomes Nomad), then frigging Barnes will inherit Cap's shield and become the next Captain America. Granted this was on Facebook, but still. Let Steve live, damn it!

Spoiler tagging because I didn't exactly get that from a reliable source and I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Spoiler tagging because I didn't exactly get that from a reliable source and I'm not sure how seriously to take it.

I'm not sure that's a spoiler/rumor as much as someone talking about what happens in the comics.

• Love 2

Was watching Civil War again last night and it reminded me of something that has always bugged me about the MCU. There is no consistency with the level of technology. I mean in one scene you have a memory reading holodeck on public display. But then a little while later you have security cameras in a major European city that are so crappy that they can't even tell that Zemo and Bucky are two different guys. And don't even get me started on how crappy Jessica Jones's phone is.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Was watching Civil War again last night and it reminded me of something that has always bugged me about the MCU. There is no consistency with the level of technology. I mean in one scene you have a memory reading holodeck on public display. But then a little while later you have security cameras in a major European city that are so crappy that they can't even tell that Zemo and Bucky are two different guys. And don't even get me started on how crappy Jessica Jones's phone is.

It's not that different from the real world, rich people have the best toys (among other things) and the rest of us have the less good stuff that we can actually afford.

The holodeck is the pet project of a super genius billionaire philanthropist. The security cameras were probably installed by the lowest bidder a decade ago and haven't been upgraded since.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

It's not that different from the real world, rich people have the best toys (among other things) and the rest of us have the less good stuff that we can actually afford.

The holodeck is the pet project of a super genius billionaire philanthropist. The security cameras were probably installed by the lowest bidder a decade ago and haven't been upgraded since.

And political with some jurisdictions not wanting to install stuff like security cameras. And others when they finally do leaping above the tech level of what was good enough, or just the best available when an early adopter installed a system.

There are problems like Hammer Tech, aside from War Machine's guns disappearing after Iron Man 2 instead of seeing combat drones, which need two Avengers to defeat them in many hands anywhere except the Agents of SHIELD TV show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Compare it to our world though. We live in a world without memory reading holodecks,  without 70 year old flying car tech, without LMDs or Quinjets. And yet a handheld hd camera that people carry around in their pocket is a pretty common thing. Yes rich guys get the best stuff, but as rich guys get better stuff so does everyone else. So thinking of that, in the world with all of those things how much better should a basic comercial security camera be than the one we can buy(or a cell phone or a car or anything)?

For another way to look at it, consider flatscreen tvs. 15 years ago they were a high priced rich guy item. Now just about anyone looking for a tv can get one realtively easy. Or alternatively look at all the consumer grade tech that has spun out of stuff that was developed by NASA. That is just how technology works, so why wouldn't it be the same thing in the MCU? 

38 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

The first flatscreen TV was invented in 1964 though. We're talking 30 years or so until it became viable as a luxury rich guy item, 40 until it started to become something for the masses.

So if we go by that example, in the MCU the flying car (or at least antigravity hovering technology) was introduced to the public in 1942 (by Howard Stark in First Avenger).  If you want to use the same timeline then rich guys should have been flying around in the 70's and the tech should have had all kinds of uses that would have changed the world by the 1980's.  But in 1991 Howard Stark, is driving a Cadillac (on the night of his death) like anyone in our universe could buy. And even if you figure that flying cars would never in a million years be legal, that kind of technological jump would have huge ramifications for all kinds of products. So based on that invention alone and 70+ years of development, why would you expect consumer grade tech to look anything like ours?

13 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So if we go by that example, in the MCU the flying car (or at least antigravity hovering technology) was introduced to the public in 1942 (by Howard Stark in First Avenger).  If you want to use the same timeline then rich guys should have been flying around in the 70's and the tech should have had all kinds of uses that would have changed the world by the 1980's.  But in 1991 Howard Stark, is driving a Cadillac (on the night of his death) like anyone in our universe could buy. And even if you figure that flying cars would never in a million years be legal, that kind of technological jump would have huge ramifications for all kinds of products. So based on that invention alone and 70+ years of development, why would you expect consumer grade tech to look anything like ours?

Actually, in The First Avenger, Howard himself immodestly says that he's the "best engineer in the country" or something similar, but that even he'd never seen anything like the tech the Hydra agent who shot and killed Dr. Erskine used for his submersible craft. He tells Tommy Lee Jones' character that it would take him a while to disassemble the thing and fully examine it, so even Howard could be stumped by technology he wasn't familiar with.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Actually, in The First Avenger, Howard himself immodestly says that he's the "best engineer in the country" or something similar, but that even he'd never seen anything like the tech the Hydra agent who shot and killed Dr. Erskine used for his submersible craft. He tells Tommy Lee Jones' character that it would take him a while to disassemble the thing and fully examine it, so even Howard could be stumped by technology he wasn't familiar with.

Fair enough, though the car I was talking about was the flying car that Howard introduced to the public at the expo. Although one of the lifting wheels broke during the demo, it was still far beyond anything we have now in 2017.  And that is just one of numerous inventions that the MCU has shown that are way more advanced than what we have.  Not saying I want the background scenes to look like The Jetsons, just maybe somehow show that it was something that was thought of. I thought that Logan did a good job showing how that movie was set in the future and things were slightly more advanced from a regular guy point of view.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
16 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Fair enough, though the car I was talking about was the flying car that Howard introduced to the public at the expo. Although one of the lifting wheels broke during the demo, it was still far beyond anything we have now in 2017.  And that is just one of numerous inventions that the MCU has shown that are way more advanced than what we have.  Not saying I want the background scenes to look like The Jetsons, just maybe somehow show that it was something that was thought of. I thought that Logan did a good job showing how that movie was set in the future and things were slightly more advanced from a regular guy point of view.

What "we" or what is shown to exist in the MCU. Iron Man's flying capabilities and his primary striking weapon are in large part from that technology. Agent Coulson's old car a 1962 Corvette using classic SHIELD tech is a working model along with Director Fury's SUV before battle damage wouldn't allow it to fly in The Winter Soldier.

You are, of course, correct that there is a sort of disconnect that naturally arises from having stories about genius science people like Banner, Pym, and Tony taking place in the same world as Jessica Jones and Daredevil living in the gritty 'real' world and the people who make the movies want the world to strongly resemble our own.

The simplest explanation is that SHIELD/Hydra and other forces intentionally suppressed the public availability of technological advances and keeping the best stuff for themselves.  The MCU has super geniuses, but they also have a super spy agency who is working to control them, and until recently that spy agency was secretly run by Nazis who wouldn't think twice about murdering anyone who posed a threat to their New World Order.

Even post Hydra being ousted, Tony, for example, is very cautious about how his technology can be misused after the events of Iron Man, so while he's working on a way to make widespread ARC tech viable, he's also not going to just release it to the public and run the risk of every MIT student with a grudge using it to power their own tech armor or any despot being able to build his own robot army. Just like he fights tooth and nail against letting the government get their hands on his Iron Man tech in IM2 (You know, before he has a complete change of character and decides that he trust the government completely in order to make the plot of Cap3 work).

Part of the issue is that Howard being retconned into being the Founder/Head of SHIELD screws things up a bit. Howard's flying car, for example, is an early version of the Repulsor tech that Tony has advanced and uses in his Jericho missile and then later in his suit. The implication there is that after he was killed, Stane clamped down and kept their advances in house and focused on weapons rather than things for public consumption.

Iron Man 1 and 2 make it rather clear that Howard was assassinated because he was on the verge of moving his company away from weapons and creating clean, cheap energy and making it available to the public. These are things that don't really track all that well with him secretly running SHIELD at the time.

And, even post retcon, don't get me started on how dumb it was that Howard, genius inventor and the Head/Founder of SHIELD, was driving a normal car on the night of plot contrivances, but I think that's a bit of a separate issues ...

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

And, even post retcon, don't get me started on how dumb it was that Howard, genius inventor and the Head/Founder of SHIELD, was driving a normal car on the night of plot contrivances, but I think that's a bit of a separate issues ...

Even considering that, maybe it wouldn't have mattered. Natasha tells Steve during Winter Soldier that Barnes shot the scientist she was protecting through her, and she wasn't even the one Hydra wanted him to kill as far as I know. You could at least recognize me, indeed.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

You know, before he has a complete change of character and decides that he trust the government completely in order to make the plot of Cap3 work

If he completely trusted the government, he wouldn't have hidden Spiderman's identity from them.  Tony is like a dieter signing up for Weight Watchers so he has someone to keep him accountable, knowing that he's still going to cheat when he wants to.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

You are, of course, correct that there is a sort of disconnect that naturally arises from having stories about genius science people like Banner, Pym, and Tony taking place in the same world as Jessica Jones and Daredevil living in the gritty 'real' world and the people who make the movies want the world to strongly resemble our own.

The simplest explanation is that SHIELD/Hydra and other forces intentionally suppressed the public availability of technological advances and keeping the best stuff for themselves.  The MCU has super geniuses, but they also have a super spy agency who is working to control them, and until recently that spy agency was secretly run by Nazis who wouldn't think twice about murdering anyone who posed a threat to their New World Order.

Even post Hydra being ousted, Tony, for example, is very cautious about how his technology can be misused after the events of Iron Man, so while he's working on a way to make widespread ARC tech viable, he's also not going to just release it to the public and run the risk of every MIT student with a grudge using it to power their own tech armor or any despot being able to build his own robot army. Just like he fights tooth and nail against letting the government get their hands on his Iron Man tech in IM2 (You know, before he has a complete change of character and decides that he trust the government completely in order to make the plot of Cap3 work).

Part of the issue is that Howard being retconned into being the Founder/Head of SHIELD screws things up a bit. Howard's flying car, for example, is an early version of the Repulsor tech that Tony has advanced and uses in his Jericho missile and then later in his suit. The implication there is that after he was killed, Stane clamped down and kept their advances in house and focused on weapons rather than things for public consumption.

Iron Man 1 and 2 make it rather clear that Howard was assassinated because he was on the verge of moving his company away from weapons and creating clean, cheap energy and making it available to the public. These are things that don't really track all that well with him secretly running SHIELD at the time.

Your probably right, and it is kind of too bad that a fan theory that SHIELD controlling technology is the best explanation we are going to get. And a lot of it probably should be tightly controlled. And i get you don't want to make the world look too weird, so even in a world with Quinjets, you still have regular airliners at the airport. Although i do wonder what the average life expectancy is with that medical tech like that human tissue growing machine we saw in Age of Ultron.

Also speaking of tech, watching more of Civil war i noticed in the scene where they were figuring out who Zemo was they miraculously had high quality camera footage of him. Also Tony's cell phone in the scene with Peter was really cool. That 3d projector thing was cool. Wonder how common those are in the mcu.

• Love 1