Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)

One of the Marvel movies I'm most looking forward to is Black Panther (release date: 2018, according to Marvel) which is the origin story of how T'Challa, the King of Wakunda, became a superhero. The cast is awesome: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o and Andy Serkis, as is the director Ryan Coogler, who directed Fruitvale Station & Creed.  If the script is as great as they are, it will be epic. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Black Panther is schedule for February 16, 2018. Filming won't start until early 2017. The cast and script are currently being finalized. Amended title to 2018.

Thor: Ragnorak is November 3, 2017. That starts shooting this summer. 

(edited)

I was going by a Marvel timecard on Twitter that said Black Panther would be released on that day. Honest mistake, which I have since corrected. My apologies.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DollEyes said:

I was going by a Marvel timecard on Twitter that said Black Panther would be released on that day. Honest mistake, which I have since corrected. My apologies.

No worries since there are about 100 Marvel movies from now until 2020.

• Love 2

The official cast of Black Panther:

Danai Gurira is playing Okoye, head of the Dora Milaje. Lupita Nyong'o is playing Nakia, a member of the Dora Milaje, a minor villain of BP's known as Malice. Michael B. Jordan is playing Erik Killmonger, former friend and major villain of BP.

Lupita gave somewhat of a plot synopsis:

"I play Nakia, who is part of the Dora Milaje - whom I presume you know is a special forces group from Wakanda. The story of this Black Panther - what I am allowed to say - is that Black Panther's leadership has been threatened by two foes who come together, and so Black Panther gets the help of the C.I.A. and the Dora Milaje to try and defeat the enemy."

They're still working on the script and the movie starts filming in January.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

The official cast of Black Panther:

Danai Gurira is playing Okoye, head of the Dora Milaje. Lupita Nyong'o is playing Nakia, a member of the Dora Milaje, a minor villain of BP's known as Malice. Michael B. Jordan is playing Erik Killmonger, former friend and major villain of BP.

Wait, what? you mean someone called "Kill monger" will be a Marvel villain? surely there's some mistake? sure anyone with a name like that is destined to be the saviour!

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Wait, what? you mean someone called "Kill monger" will be a Marvel villain? surely there's some mistake? sure anyone with a name like that is destined to be the saviour!

If I remember correctly, in the comics he ended up actually being a pretty good ruler of Wakanda.  His only real beef was with T'Challa.  In the comics I loved their civilized duel, which involved tea/snack breaks and I believe naps.

Really looking forward to this movie.

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 1

Priest's black panther was  my favourite marvel comic back in my comic reading days. Back in my dad's house somewhere is a page of original art from the series. And my marvel claim to fame is that i came up with the name for the letters page.  From what I remember it was also one of the lowest selling comics marvel put out at the time.  It is crazy and awesome they are making it into a movie. Saw an interview with Priest on youtube and he seems pretty surprised they are making it too.

I always liked back in the day how he would talk about how the panther was this guy who was a 3rd string Avenger at best who also happened to be the ruler of the most technologically advanced nation on earth.

Also liked how in one issue they showed his desk in Wakenda and there was a contigency plan/report covering how to protect the country in the event of an attack from Galactus.

Wonder if Achebe will show up in the movie? 

On 7/26/2016 at 6:39 AM, Matt K said:

If I remember correctly, in the comics he ended up actually being a pretty good ruler of Wakanda.  His only real beef was with T'Challa.  In the comics I loved their civilized duel, which involved tea/snack breaks and I believe naps.

Really looking forward to this movie.

The last fictionalized duel that I have seen was the Roots remake, after that the ideal of dueling being civilized only means one guy yeilded.

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:04 PM, Jenniferbug said:

Darn it, I wanted Michael B Jordan in the MCU as a good guy.

He'd be a great hero in the MCU.  But with MBJ cast as the villain, I believe there will finally be one villain in the MCU that is memorable (Loki aside).

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

I love the casting, loads of talented actors. I am thrilled that Danai is getting a major movie role, but it still feels like Hollywood is working off the list of people that it is okay to cast in major roles that George Clooney referred to. I hope we see some new faces in the supporting roles.

Even Martin Freeman is a nearly perfect choice for Everett K. Ross (assuming he can do an American accent). I say near perfect because actual perfect would be building  a time machine and casting Spin City era Michael J Fox.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Even Martin Freeman is a nearly perfect choice for Everett K. Ross (assuming he can do an American accent). I

Check out the second season of Fargo, not your standard TV caster accent but within the American regional  norms.

On 27.07.2016 at 7:12 PM, benteen said:

He'd be a great hero in the MCU.  But with MBJ cast as the villain, I believe there will finally be one villain in the MCU that is memorable (Loki aside).

There's also Kilgrave, if you mean MCU in general and not just the movies.

• Love 2

Who's writing the screenplay? I just found out (really late) that the author Ta-Nehisi Coates worked on the reboot of the comic books. I have no idea if they're any good or if he's ever been asked to work on the movie screenplay. 

IMDb has Ryan Coogler writing the screenplay with Joe Robert Cole.  Looks like Cole doesn't have a ton of credits to his name.  One feature film (Amber Lake) that he wrote and directed, and he wrote a couple episodes of The People vs. OJ Simpson, which he also co-produced.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, topanga said:

Who's writing the screenplay? I just found out (really late) that the author Ta-Nehisi Coates worked on the reboot of the comic books. I have no idea if they're any good or if he's ever been asked to work on the movie screenplay. 

I don't like Coates as a person but the books have been highly praised and sold really well so it's possible they'll take elements from his run.

3 hours ago, angora said:

IMDb has Ryan Coogler writing the screenplay with Joe Robert Cole.  Looks like Cole doesn't have a ton of credits to his name.  One feature film (Amber Lake) that he wrote and directed, and he wrote a couple episodes of The People vs. OJ Simpson, which he also co-produced.

Nice. I like Coogler. 

5 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I don't like Coates as a person but the books have been highly praised and sold really well so it's possible they'll take elements from his run.

Just curious.--why not? I'm almost the opposite of you. To me, he seems pretty cool as a person. But I don't agree with all of his politics or opinions. 

24 minutes ago, topanga said:

Just curious.--why not? I'm almost the opposite of you. To me, he seems pretty cool as a person. But I don't agree with all of his politics or opinions. 

He was on an episode of This American Life with one of his friends, they were talking about the disparity in their lives once Ta-Nehisi became famous/well-known and rich and he just came off as really arrogant. He kept laughing while describing how he works out at a fancy gym now and can buy the most expensive things off the menu and I just kept thinking "Shut uuuuup". And I actually agree with his opinions and politics lol it's his personality I dislike.

• Love 2

I hoping I'm not setting myself up for disappointment by hoping this movie will be different, and therefore, somewhat more interesting, than other Marvel blockbusters. 

18 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

He was on an episode of This American Life with one of his friends, they were talking about the disparity in their lives once Ta-Nehisi became famous/well-known and rich and he just came off as really arrogant. He kept laughing while describing how he works out at a fancy gym now and can buy the most expensive things off the menu and I just kept thinking "Shut uuuuup". And I actually agree with his opinions and politics lol it's his personality I dislike.

Ha. I listened to that same interview. I guess I was just happy to hear him laugh--he's usually so serious. With good reason, mind you. Most of his writing addresses racial disparities in America, white supremacy, etc. Not exactly the most cheery of topics. (I do agree with most of his politics, BTW. I just wasn't Feeling the Bern). 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

Wow.  On the Venn diagram of "People Who are Black and Awesome" and "People Who are in Black Panther," the central overlap keeps getting bigger and bigger.  If they keep this up much more, even the bit parts will be played by Black Hollywood royalty.  Before it's all said and done, we may or may not see Laurence Fishburne as a nameless pedestrian with two lines.

• Love 11
On 1/5/2017 at 10:02 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Holy fuck, with a cast like this, it had better be the best Marvel movie EVER.

On 1/6/2017 at 3:15 PM, Trini said:

Should I hold my breath for a James Earl Jones cameo?

On 1/6/2017 at 3:27 PM, benteen said:

Only if he can appear as the ruler of Zamunda. 

LOL. I don't even like comic book movies, and I'm looking forward to this one. Even if it doesn't live up to my unrealistic expectations, Ryan Coogler and Joe Robert Cole (The People vs. OJ Simpson) wrote the script, so it shouldn't be horrible. 

• Love 1

I'm not if it's been said already, but Florence Kasumba who appeared in Civil War as one of the Dora Milaje (I believe it's been revealed her character is Ayo) will reprise her role in the Black Panther movie as well. In case you forgot her scene with Black Widow:

• Love 1

Normally, I don't post on a movie thread until it's out . . . but I'm trying to be optimistic about this. I was a huge fan of Priest's run. I'm guessing that the film will be a patchwork of many of T'Challa's runs, but I was happy to see Priest's name in the credits for Captain America: Civil War. Of course, I have to nitpick about Martin Freeman as Everett Ross. Ross is supposed to be a schmuck that's always over his head. I think that Priest was worried about people seeing him write another overachieving hero like Quantum, so instead of a ballbusting partner (Woody), we'd get the Crown Prince Of Clueless White Boys. Also, I'm feeling that way about MBJ as Killmonger, though most of that is about the actor not being seven feet tall and muscular as hell.

It could just be two hours of the actors reciting the Wakandan phonebook and I would still see this twice in theatres. But unlike Civil War, where I knew that two hours wasn't enough to satisfy the hype I had built up, with Black Panther my expectations keep rising and I'm okay with that. It's so refreshing to be eager (borderline giddy) about a film early on and be confident that a year from now the film will prove me right.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Dee said:

I was trying to avoid the hype train, but after this line

I died and came back to life when I saw the first footage of Angela Bassett as Ramonda, the actress resplendent in a shimmering honey robe with an enormous headpiece that would send every Sunday church lady home to start over. Let’s be honest: If Angela Bassett is your mother, you’re beginning the superhero sweepstakes on third base, but T’Challa will still have his work cut out for him to earn any attention next to Bassett’s queen at her most fierce.

I'm back on board.

• Love 9
On 19/04/2017 at 0:22 AM, Lantern7 said:

Normally, I don't post on a movie thread until it's out . . . but I'm trying to be optimistic about this. I was a huge fan of Priest's run. I'm guessing that the film will be a patchwork of many of T'Challa's runs, but I was happy to see Priest's name in the credits for Captain America: Civil War. Of course, I have to nitpick about Martin Freeman as Everett Ross. Ross is supposed to be a schmuck that's always over his head. I think that Priest was worried about people seeing him write another overachieving hero like Quantum, so instead of a ballbusting partner (Woody), we'd get the Crown Prince Of Clueless White Boys. Also, I'm feeling that way about MBJ as Killmonger, though most of that is about the actor not being seven feet tall and muscular as hell.

Thry could easily have Ross's  character change as a result of what happened in civil war. Based on that shitshow they could easily have him demoted and lose all kinds of confidence. You could also use that as a reason why he becomes the top expert on Wakanda in the state department. 

And i know i have said it before but it blows my mind that the Priest run, that i read back in the day is getting a movie. It was awesome but was probably one of the lowest sold sold titles that Marvel put out.

Also with all these casting announcements are we going to see Achebe show up. That crazy bastard and his little puppet were hilarious. 

• Love 1