Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03/E04: And I Don't Like Alligators!/Yellow Eggs

• Start Topic

Time is running out and the Kleins still haven't found a new home in Florida! As the move date approaches, they're starting to feel desperate. They need to find a new home, retrofit and sell the Texas house and to add the chaos, Jen's parents visit.

Original air date 2018.10.16

I only watched the first half.  Not sure I will finish the 2nd or watch next week.  I'm tired of the same thing every episode.  The editors obviously don't have enough to work with to make 1 hour episodes if they have to keep repeating the. same. damn. sentences. over & over.  It's our anniversary!  It's our 9th anniversary! I have something planned for our 9th anniversary!  We need to find a house!  We are running out of time to find a house!  We are back in FL to find a house!  Which house should we buy?  Should we build a house?  We need to find a house!  One good thing about moving to FL is we will be closer to family!  When we move to FL we will be so much closer to family!  But, first...we need to find a house! We need an elevator!  Where will we put the elevator?  This house has stairs so we will need an elevator!  This house has a spot for an elevator!  But we need to lower the counters!  Which counter should be lowered?  The kitchen is great, but the counters will need to be lowered! Because we are LP's!  In case no one noticed by the title of our show, we are Little People! We need a new house in FL near family with an elevator and low counters!  And it's our ANNIVERSARY! Beachbeachbeach! 

I think the 2nd house they looked at (w/ the closet for elevator/new build) is the one they bought.  The style of it is decidedly more Mediterranean/Spanish influenced than Jen's beloved Coastal look.  The 1st house (no elevator & condo across the way) was closer to Jen's style I think.  I personally liked it better!  But I guess if I had their money, I could be super picky about the view being blocked by the condos.  They made their home purchase with the best intentions for their family, so I'm glad they finally found a good fit.  However, if I had the money to build a custom house on my dream beach front property, I think I could tolerate living in a rental for a while.  Plus, does it really take 2 YEARS to build a house?  Maybe that's a FL thing?  My aunt & uncle had a custom home built a few years ago and it was definitely done faster. They were moved in in less than a year.  They aren't LP's and didn't need anything structural altered, but they picked out all the components from outside in. And we are in New England where the weather isn't as consistent as FL.

It's also annoying that almost all the "experiences" the family does are private affairs.  A whole boat was hired out for the 5 of them (plus crew)?  I did see some other people milling around at the alligator place, but they were off in the distance.  TLC did this with Kate and her kids too, and I understand they do it for security reasons as well as for shooting purposes.  But it's a weird way to grow up.  First being on camera for most of your childhood is odd, but then to have all these amazing trips and excursions planned for your solo benefit is certainly not "normal".  Will these tv kids understand how to wait in line or share time in exhibits in 2-3-4 years when the cameras are gone? 

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

It's also annoying that almost all the "experiences" the family does are private affairs.  A whole boat was hired out for the 5 of them (plus crew)?  I did see some other people milling around at the alligator place, but they were off in the distance.  TLC did this with Kate and her kids too, and I understand they do it for security reasons as well as for shooting purposes.  But it's a weird way to grow up.  First being on camera for most of your childhood is odd, but then to have all these amazing trips and excursions planned for your solo benefit is certainly not "normal".  Will these tv kids understand how to wait in line or share time in exhibits in 2-3-4 years when the cameras are gone? 

I would guess that renting out venues is done mostly during filming, which I think comprises a relatively small part of their lives?  I would think that generally speaking, they move about in public like most everyone else, and I can't imagine that Will and Zoey don't have to wait in line/share at school like all the other kids.  I mean, yes. they are on a reality tv show and have more money than your average family, but we certainly aren't talking about kids/families who live a Brad/Angelina or George/Amal kind of life.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I only watched the first half.  Not sure I will finish the 2nd or watch next week.  I'm tired of the same thing every episode.  The editors obviously don't have enough to work with to make 1 hour episodes if they have to keep repeating the. same. damn. sentences. over & over.  It's our anniversary!  It's our 9th anniversary! I have something planned for our 9th anniversary!  We need to find a house!  We are running out of time to find a house!  We are back in FL to find a house!  Which house should we buy?  Should we build a house?  We need to find a house!  One good thing about moving to FL is we will be closer to family!  When we move to FL we will be so much closer to family!  But, first...we need to find a house! We need an elevator!  Where will we put the elevator?  This house has stairs so we will need an elevator!  This house has a spot for an elevator!  But we need to lower the counters!  Which counter should be lowered?  The kitchen is great, but the counters will need to be lowered! Because we are LP's!  In case no one noticed by the title of our show, we are Little People! We need a new house in FL near family with an elevator and low counters!  And it's our ANNIVERSARY! Beachbeachbeach! 

This description is TLC, IMO. Repeating the same thing over and over. State something, break for commercial, reword it, say it again. It’s so freaking annoying !

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

I think the 2nd house they looked at (w/ the closet for elevator/new build) is the one they bought.  The style of it is decidedly more Mediterranean/Spanish influenced than Jen's beloved Coastal look.  The 1st house (no elevator & condo across the way) was closer to Jen's style I think.  I personally liked it better!  But I guess if I had their money, I could be super picky about the view being blocked by the condos.  They made their home purchase with the best intentions for their family, so I'm glad they finally found a good fit.  However, if I had the money to build a custom house on my dream beach front property, I think I could tolerate living in a rental for a while.  Plus, does it really take 2 YEARS to build a house?  Maybe that's a FL thing?  My aunt & uncle had a custom home built a few years ago and it was definitely done faster. They were moved in in less than a year.  They aren't LP's and didn't need anything structural altered, but they picked out all the components from outside in. And we are in New England where the weather isn't as consistent as FL.

I wonder about a few things that might add to the time it takes to build a custom home-first they need to find a decent architect that's versed in usability design, which may or may not be easy to do.  Secondly, they need to make more decisions about the design that's conducive to their size (as you noted).   Plus, if they have busy schedules, it could take a while to pick out all the finishes.  We built a house and it was overwhelming! Also, I'm not sure what the permit situation is like in FL, and with beach front property in particular.  Where I live in MD, our county takes months longer than the surrounding counties to issue permits and I know that in some cases, building on waterfront property requires more permitting/inspections than are necessary with non-waterfront property.  Jen and Bill seem fairly pragmatic, so I can see them assuming that it could take as much as two years to get a house built, especially since building projects tend to take longer than usually anticipated.

• Love 6

As rowdy and unruly as these kids can sometimes be, Zoey is still ridiculously adorable.

Playing 'Coffee Barista' at the playground:  And what can I get you, Barbara?

lol

Also, at the alligator thing, Will shrieked 'they're moving!' And the guy was like 'um yeah, they're gonna do that.'  He was having none of Will. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 9

I think that the Easter brunch was the first time that I ever saw Will turn down food.  But maybe he preferred  gorging on candy to eating French toast.

There was some weird editing on the boat.  The sun was setting when they were looking at dolphin fins but when they went in to eat dinner it was bright out and then when they were finishing it was pitch dark.  

I think it was the condo blocking the view, not privacy concerns, that had Jen knocking the coastal house.  If they were concerned about privacy you would think the beach lot would have been immediately rejected as there was a huge condo/apartment building next door.

The kids were calling Judy and Barbara by their first names.  In my family that wouldn’t fly.

Watching the kids ride their balance bikes reminded me of how out of place that McMansion is on that block.  All the surrounding houses are modest.  And why did they paint it dark blue?  The original color was more flattering and they hadn’t lived there long enough to need a repaint.  Conspicuous consumption and fickleness I suppose.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think that the Easter brunch was the first time that I ever saw Will turn down food.  But maybe he preferred  gorging on candy to eating French toast.

Yes! This just reminded me of Will saying: HEY! I don't wanna eat!

That was intense.  Made my mouth drop to be honest.

• Love 1

I completely agree the scripting was super repetitive and pushing the show to 2 hours doesn’t make sense when they don’t have enough story to work with...it was super boring!

I think Will was annoyed with Jen and refused food because it was her promoting it....he has attitude with her and she thinks she nipped it in the bud but he led the way to where to sit not her if I saw that correctly.  She even spent a nauseating few minutes telling us how parenting is done around it..I was LMAO!  Sure Jen!  

Zoey is adorable and sure has come out of her shell.  Will used to be the love of my life!  HIs lack of manners which are the Klein’s responsiblity to teach him and make him toe the line put him at the bottom of my list now.  Shameful and it is all televised.  

Nai Nai doesn’t help the situation by letting the kids have their way, she makes it more fun to do what they want.      

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

I get creeped out when Bill does the double entendre raised eyebrow thing when talking about lying on top of Jen or the seven year itch.  It’s supposed to be a family show, knock it off.  

Although it would be funny if they ended up in a bitter divorce like the Roloffs after they have laid it on thick about how it was love at first sight (Jen in her scrubs and her dazzling blue eyes!) and they are best friends, etc.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, readheaded said:

I wonder about a few things that might add to the time it takes to build a custom home-first they need to find a decent architect that's versed in usability design, which may or may not be easy to do.  Secondly, they need to make more decisions about the design that's conducive to their size (as you noted).   Plus, if they have busy schedules, it could take a while to pick out all the finishes.  We built a house and it was overwhelming! Also, I'm not sure what the permit situation is like in FL, and with beach front property in particular.  Where I live in MD, our county takes months longer than the surrounding counties to issue permits and I know that in some cases, building on waterfront property requires more permitting/inspections than are necessary with non-waterfront property.  Jen and Bill seem fairly pragmatic, so I can see them assuming that it could take as much as two years to get a house built, especially since building projects tend to take longer than usually anticipated.

Plus, like in Texas I’m sure, they have to build/modify to whatever code will hopefully withstand hurricanes/tropical storms; especially if they live along the coast/waterfront.

• Love 3

Zoey said that "Rocky is a boy and he could be a daddy. Maggie is a girl and can be a silly girl, like Mommy." Jen did not like that at all. She looked pissed. LOL, kids say the darndest things...

• Love 8

The whole idea of going to see the alligators was because they will live in an area where "there could be gators in our backyard, they have to be taught a proper amount of respect for them" fast forward about 2 minutes he tells Zoey,  "they won't bite, well maybe just a little nibble" which is it Bill? 

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, Libby said:

Zoey said that "Rocky is a boy and he could be a daddy. Maggie is a girl and can be a silly girl, like Mommy." Jen did not like that at all. She looked pissed. LOL, kids say the darndest things...

Yeah, that did not go over so well. Cue pissed face and awkward giggling from Jen.

• Love 1

Did anyone else get the feeling that the house search was an advertisement for the Realtors?  They sure were prominent on the shows and it would explain why Jen and Bill were looking at the houses they couldn't really buy.

• Love 3

It looks like they might of purchased the house that Jen disliked, the one she pronounced too grand and not her style at all.

Between the pics online and articles about the episode, those 2 houses look a lot alike.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they also purchased the empty lot because Jen wants a beach house, on the beach.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Although it would be funny if they ended up in a bitter divorce like the Roloffs after they have laid it on thick about how it was love at first sight (Jen in her scrubs and her dazzling blue eyes!) and they are best friends, etc.

Ouch!!  Having just gone through one myself, I find it hard to imagine disliking anyone to the extent required to find divorce funny?  Much less a "bitter" divorce.  And especially not one involving young children.  :-(

In any case, IMHO, it was obvious from the first episode of their show that Matt and Amy were just tolerating each other at that point, and I don't get those vibes from Bill and Jennifer at all.  They've been through a lot together, and seem to truly be a very close and generally happy family.  And for the whole family's sake, I sincerely hope there's no impending divorce on the horizon for them and that they enjoy many more anniversaries about which they can talk ad nauseum.  ;-)

• Love 24
38 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the house search was an advertisement for the Realtors?  They sure were prominent on the shows and it would explain why Jen and Bill were looking at the houses they couldn't really buy.

Everything is advertisements with them. The lowest of the low is turning a private supposedly very meaningful Flyin Lion into a book to buy.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Plus, does it really take 2 YEARS to build a house?  Maybe that's a FL thing?  My aunt & uncle had a custom home built a few years ago and it was definitely done faster. They were moved in in less than a year.  They aren't LP's and didn't need anything structural altered, but they picked out all the components from outside in. And we are in New England where the weather isn't as consistent as FL.

Two years does seem like a long time especially since they've done it before and her style is well established. I know there are house plans out there they could pick from, even if they needed to be modified. 

I think they said they bought something that wasn't shown during house hunting.

47 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

It looks like they might of purchased the house that Jen disliked, the one she pronounced too grand and not her style at all.

Between the pics online and articles about the episode, those 2 houses look a lot alike.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they also purchased the empty lot because Jen wants a beach house, on the beach.

Actually, realtor.com has an article on the house they did buy at 2.1 million. It is bigger than one Jen said was “too grand” to live in.  

1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Two years does seem like a long time especially since they've done it before and her style is well established. I know there are house plans out there they could pick from, even if they needed to be modified. 

I think they said they bought something that wasn't shown during house hunting.

I mentioned before that my husband and I built a house and I really don't find 2 years to be an outlandish estimate.  We worked from established plans, but it still took time to get the plans finalized and we didn't need the kinds of modifications they would.

1 hour ago, Cherrio said:

Everything is advertisements with them. The lowest of the low is turning a private supposedly very meaningful Flyin Lion into a book to buy.

Have you seen "Outdaughtered" or "Little People, Big World" lately?  They're constantly advertising on their social media channels, as well (including a book).

• Love 3

I only got to see the second episode, but I thought the Easter Egg Hunt was really cute. It was smart to assign each kid a color to avoid meltdowns and chaos. 

Product placement has become de rigeur for every reality show on tv. I can't fault the Kleins for it when everyone else does it. 

Jen's Going Away party was so emotional. Her co-workers truly adore her. 

• Love 15

The product placement in the TV shows are all the network’s doing. Not that of Jen and Bill. They don’t have any say in it. You can’t have a name brand product shown on a tv shows without paying the company to show it. Otherwise, the company pays the network because it wants the exposure on the show. I doubt Jen and Bill get anything from it since the network controls everything. I have noticed regular sitcoms and dramas always show the cars of the characters in minute detail now and it’s almost like a car commercial instead of a tv show. 

I think because the Kleins don’t have crazy reality show drama, TLC has no choice but to basically have every episode involve some type of outing. That’s what happens when you put people with real jobs and normal lives on tv. Kardashians the Kleins are not. 

• Love 8

Speaking of product placement, the large SUV they were driving in Florida, had the car name blurred out.  

Love these kids, but house hunting is no place for them. Especially when family members were available to watch them. I bet the kids wouldn't have gone if the cameras weren't there.

• Love 3

I don’t begrudge Jen and Bill their mansion. Even though they have a successful show, both of them still have jobs, unlike the Outdaughtered family, the “D” families, Sister Wives families, and probably more that I don’t watch.

• Love 11

More of their new home can be seen here:  https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/florida-mansion-little-couple/

The article says they closed in June.  I don't know how much modification had to be done.

I wonder about their Houston home...since it was custom built for a LP family, would it still sell at a great price?  I think it was mostly the kitchen that was built to accommodate LPs.   Seems like Bill mentioned the pool's was 5 feet deep, but I might be mistaken on that point. 

I'm almost sure they have a housekeeper for a home that over 5500 square feet, especially with both of them working.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ehall1052 said:

I don’t begrudge Jen and Bill their mansion. Even though they have a successful show, both of them still have jobs, unlike the Outdaughtered family, the “D” families, Sister Wives families, and probably more that I don’t watch.

And jobs that actually contribute to society (or pets). 

• Love 13
On 10/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, Spike said:

I think it was the condo blocking the view, not privacy concerns, that had Jen knocking the coastal house.  If they were concerned about privacy you would think the beach lot would have been immediately rejected as there was a huge condo/apartment building next door.

If I was paying that much for a house there's no way I would want to stare at a giant condo out my backyard either. But I'm sure it was a combo of both. At the houston house they didn't have a tone of privacy either, but they did have their backyard/pool area that I think was pretty private.  With that house, it had no privacy what so ever. There was also a house next door that appears to look down into their backyard area. With the florida one, they showed the realtor photo of the master bedroom and right in the window you saw that condo. That builder was probably cursing that thing. 

8 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

Who has a candy Easter egg hunt before breakfast?!  Of course the kids were eating candy even before the hunt and weren’t hungry for breakfast when they had a basketful of candy. 

When Jen tried to tear them away from candy I think she told them they were going to have lunch - but maybe she said brunch - but either way I think it was probably later in the morning, if not around lunch time.

• Love 5

Their new house from the link above doesn't scream coastal to me, but i am sure some fresh paint and whatever else coastal Jen will bring in.  I don't like to bag on kids - but for a 7 and 5 year old, they really come across much younger acting.

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

but for a 7 and 5 year old, they really come across much younger acting.

They certainly do that plus Will couldn't count to 20.  He should have been able to do that at 5 for an average child.  It's become more and more apparent he still has delays.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 7

I just looked at the realtor.com article showing the Kleins new house and there is a link to Jen's Instagram (during hurricane Irma, which was LAST fall) posting updates as she had to evacuate their home as Bill was seen filming going back to check their Houston home, along with his brothers. There is a picture with the caption "thanks to the realtors for helping them buy their new home in St Pete" and the picture is the whole family with both realtors sitting at the bar in what appears to be the scene from CASHEW-GATE! Is this the house they actually did buy? I was thinking Jen said it was not her taste at all? The house is stunning from the article on realtor.com and I am happy they could find such a beauty!

I think that the reason that this show is becoming so boring is because the Kleins accomplished their goal. They made us all realize that they are an average family. 

There are many, many, other handicaps that limit people more than being a little person. People come home from war everyday who are missing arms or legs or have severe brain injuries. People have diseases and handicaps that limit what they can do much more than being a little person.

The Kliens have made us realize that being little requires work arounds, but it's far from being life ruining, or particularly noteworthy.

At this point, we all understand that they are just an average family with their share of problems. No more, no less than other people.

They couldn't have kids, so they adopted from foreign countries. Their son seems a little delayed. Very common. Hundreds and hundreds of families deal with this issue.

The mom got cancer, but recovered, thank God. Again, very common.

They have a happy marriage and feel very fortunate to have their adopted children. Very common.

I am very glad that they are a happy family with average problems. Good and bad stuff happens to everyone. I really think that they are in the middle of the pack.

Consequently, when they keep repeating mundane things that millions of people feel and go through, week after week, it gets boring.

• Love 9

The kids were really well behaved at the horse farm which was refreshing after seeing them acting up so much on the house tours.  I don't fault them for their behaviour on the tours I imagine it was a pretty boring thing to put a couple of rambunctious energetic kids through.

Edited by endure
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

I just looked at the realtor.com article showing the Kleins new house and there is a link to Jen's Instagram (during hurricane Irma, which was LAST fall) posting updates as she had to evacuate their home as Bill was seen filming going back to check their Houston home, along with his brothers. There is a picture with the caption "thanks to the realtors for helping them buy their new home in St Pete" and the picture is the whole family with both realtors sitting at the bar in what appears to be the scene from CASHEW-GATE! Is this the house they actually did buy? I was thinking Jen said it was not her taste at all? The house is stunning from the article on realtor.com and I am happy they could find such a beauty!

When I looked at the interior pictures of the house they purchased on Zillow, the kitchen does not look like the kitchen in Cashew-gate. That kitchen had white cabinets and the house they purchased has natural brown cabinets, unless they have a home with 2 kitchens (separate in-law suite??). I’ll have to read the home’s description again and find out.

Update: no second kitchen listed on Zillow.  

Edited by ehall1052
Updated post
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Maybe the inside elevator goes down to the garage.

I'm sure it does.  We have rented many vacation homes with elevators on the Outer Banks, NC.  All the elevators went to the ground level.  It was great for groceries & beach stuff. 

I'm glad they found a house that already had an elevator in it.  That looks like some dock.  Wonder if they will get a boat.

Does Bill play golf? I think they showed him playing with his dad & brothers in an older episode.   It does look like there is some distance between the golf course & their house.  My mother's cousins  had a house on a golf course.  Not only was it bad enough to have golf balls flying in their yard, it was the rude golfers tromping through their yard & shrubbery trying to retrieve their balls that was the worse, even with No Trespassing signs posted.

ETA - where in Florida do all the grandparents live?  I liked when Zoe said she likes to be near her cousins. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Their new house from the link above doesn't scream coastal to me, but i am sure some fresh paint and whatever else coastal Jen will bring in.  I don't like to bag on kids - but for a 7 and 5 year old, they really come across much younger acting.

Just checking in... the bold is one of the reasons, I'm not going to watch the show when it airs unless nothing else is on. Their parenting style is so much different that mine, it kinda gives me a headache.

Thanks all for keeping me informed.

Even the preview turned me off - Will wants to go to China... and they go ??? WTH ? That really sends a message... what will the poor child ask for when he's older ? I could handle either of the Disneys (aren't they right by the place) or some fancy kiddy-type party place - but all of the way to China ?  I thought Zoe's tea birthday party in the hotel ballroom was over the top, for her age, but they managed to even up that.. 

I really wish they would keep up with the Joneses (ie avg family with 2 kids) not constantly trying exceed them in every category.

Also, I'm a little board with watching Jenn build her career. Now with a new hosp who needs her expertise, I have a feeling it would be more hospital simulations showing the latest outbreak disease. 

What's Bill job in FL ? Did he sell the petshop in houston or is the plan to travel back and forth to check in ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

Will was what, 2-3 when he left China? I really doubt he remembers much of the place at all. He was abandoned, and the first place that had him they said all but starved him to death. The second place was supposedly a good one, but does he really remember those people? And I doubt he was ever taken out and about to see the sights, so what is it he misses from there?

• Love 5

Given how immature Will is, I would've waited until he was much older to do a trip to China. I don't think he'll get much out of it and it wouldn't surprise me if Bill and Jen are completely aware of this, they just wanted to get the trip in while they're still on TLC's dime. 

Eta: I'm not saying he wouldn't enjoy the experience, but for where he's at developmentally it'll have no more significance than a trip to Gator Land or Disneyland or whatever.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Will was what, 2-3 when he left China? I really doubt he remembers much of the place at all. He was abandoned, and the first place that had him they said all but starved him to death. The second place was supposedly a good one, but does he really remember those people? And I doubt he was ever taken out and about to see the sights, so what is it he misses from there?

Of course Will would not remember his experience in China, he was a toddler.  That is not the point, I think Jen and Bill make a conscious effort to make the kids aware of their heritage and culture etc and where they come from as it is a part of their identity.  Obviously they can afford such a trip, so good for them - I'm sure Will probably already has a keen awareness of China.

• Love 12

Better squeeze in an all expenses paid TLC sponsored trip with full TV production crew and planners to coordinate and execute the logistics of such a trip before the show gets cancelled.

Do not think the Arnold-Kleins want to foot the bill or plan a China trip to indulge their little emperor, Will.

Wonder if they take a side trip to Mumbai while in the neighborhood?

• Love 9