Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, Saje81 said:

I see what you mean, but I also think what Debbie did was out of love. She probably didn't realize that her babying and smothering would result in, well, Colt. I would love to know if he's an only child and what her experience was with pregnancies/other children during her lifetime. Usually codependent behaviour like that does not exist in a vacuum.

I respectfully disagree. Debbie did this out of selfishness.   If she loved her son she would encourage his independence and living on his own.  JMPO, but that kind of love is a form of emotional abuse.   Debbie showed her true colors when Coltie actually ate bread for breakfast.  She is playing her part as the victim quite well.  

My guess is that Colt’s and mother’s apartment/condo/home is in Debbie’s name. Vegas has many subsidies and programs for seniors and low income.  Debbie definitely would qualify.  Colt has to be banking most of his salary.  

Lastly, Colt needs to man up, leave mommy, and get a nice place for his bride.   Being thrifty is commendable but when it stunts you from living a normal life, then you need to revisit your priorities or get help. 

• Love 17
22 hours ago, eatsleep said:

Wait...how is this your grandmother if she had only one child, your uncle? Wouldn't she have to be the mother of your mother or father to be your grandmother?

21 hours ago, KateHearts said:

wait a minute; then how is she your grandmother if your uncle is her only child?

My grandfather's second marriage. I probably should have said step-grandma but she's always just been Grandma to me.

Edited by Saje81
  • Love 9

OK, I gotta get in on this Beef Stew convo... Agreed with everyone that it's a totally bizarre thing to offer in the scorching Vegas heat. Why were there no other options?- some fruit, some cheese, a rotisserie roast chicken from the market, a simple rice pilaf, maybe a nice salad...After travelling a person's stomach can be sensitive, so offer simple things to ease them into the new environment.  And the next day when Colt was eating the stew, ugghhh - it looked awful.  Unappetizing brown sludge (and I happen to like beef stew in general, but that was the worst looking beef stew in the history of beef stew). 

The bigger question is why-oh-why do none of the Americans cater to their foreign fiance's food preferences??  Like, why did Eric force feed Lieda & Sister Leida breakfast burritos on their first morning?  Why not learn how to make porridge so they have something familiar?  That would have been a gracious gesture.

• Love 9

Larissa didn't even look at their food so wouldn't have known it was unappetizing. If she was too warm she could've expressed that & asked for fruit or something. But she probably would've rejected anything they offered her at that point just to be salty.

Holy crap I don't care how freaking weird Colt & Mother are, no one deserves that kind of treatment in their own home from some bitch the minute she steps in the damn house. She can have grievances about the food, lack of decor, pool, whatever, but at least waited a bit then stated them nicely.

At this point she has to do something really awesome to improve herself in my eyes - like resuscitate one of the cats when it falls in the blow up pool Colt gets her (we know it won't be Cookie Dough; she'll probably try to drown the poor thing). From the previews I don't see redemption coming soon (not that she cares of course).

Edited by gonecrackers
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, LGGirl said:

Lastly, Colt needs to man up, leave mommy, and get a nice place for his bride.   Being thrifty is commendable but when it stunts you from living a normal life, then you need to revisit your priorities or get help. 

I completely agree. My partner and I try not to travel separately, but the one time I went on a 10-day trip without her (had planned it since before I met her), she had her friend pick me up at the airport with water and snacks, and I came home to a completely clean house, my fridge stocked, and flowers and balloons. At the time we didn't even live together yet. This guy imports a fiancee and can't bother to buy food she might like or some $10 Safeway flowers after months apart. Instead he relies on mommy to cook for her and complains about the price of parking. I'm sure we're not seeing the full story--maybe they did make it out on the strip at night to see the lights or whatever--but I can't imagine him being anything but selfish with her.

I understand why people don't like Larissa, but Colt is just so awful that it really makes me feel for her. If he were a genuinely decent guy who really tried to show her she was special, I'd think she was terrible. Instead she gets sympathy from me.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, eatsleep said:

I think it's actually 3 bedroom. Two bedroom, two story homes from that period are pretty rare. Nice home IMO. But it does look a bit tight for newlyweds + mom. I would want bigger, too if I had to live w/ a MIL (and cats I didn't want). She just shouldn't have mentioned it. I'm sure she knew what she was getting into before she came. Once she is married, working and contributing, it's reasonable to discuss it, I think. Until then, it's still "their" house and she is just a demanding guest.

Ugh, do ppl actually make it that way?? Colt should have just asked on the way home from the airport what she wanted and brought it home for all three of them. And the fridge should have been stocked the day before with things she likes.

It would be up to Colt, not his mother, to make sure there are foods there that Larissa likes. Its kind of unfair to say that Debbie needs to make sure things are comfortable for Larissa and not hold Colt equally responsible. Debbie knows what Colt likes to eat and prepared a dinner accordingly, he certainly seemed interested in eating it. He also didn’t seem too upset that Larissa didn’t share his enthusiasm for it. Debbie at least offered to make something else. 

The house is plenty big enough for three adults at this time. The 90 days they have are supppsed to be a getting to know each other period and working out differences and making plans for the future. Larissa has stated what she wants, Colt didn’t agree or disagree, but my best guess is that she’s going to have to scale back.... way way way back. I suspect the living situation  is going to be the biggest issue they have...  but ultimately the onus is on Colt to decide just how much change he is willing to make in his life to satisfy Larissa.  For Debbie, whatever choice he makes may be a win for her. 

• Love 7

I can imagine the ideal situation for Colt and his mother would be to get a duplex. His mother could live on one side and Colt and Larissa  could live on the other side. That way, his mother doesn’t feel abandoned but Colt and his new bride get some privacy.

Both women can decorate as they wish.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I can imagine the ideal situation for Colt and his mother would be to get a duplex. His mother could live on one side and Colt and Larissa  could live on the other side. That way, his mother doesn’t feel abandoned but Colt and his new bride get some privacy.

It is pretty hard to find a duplex in Las Vegas that is in a safe area that is reasonable cost. There are plenty of places with casitas or mother in law apartments. I actually thought the house layout was not bad for their situation. Colt has his own floor, the 3rd floor and it had a bedroom, bathroom, walk in closet, and another room (it looked like he had a computer and music stuff in it), his mom had the 2nd floor with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. 

I'm trying to figure out what is off about Colt's edit. the no sofa, yet the kitchen looks very lived in (like someone has lived there awhile). He said he is a world traveler , I know that can mean different things to different people. Is he the type that has worked, saved, taken extended trips and then comes back to his mom's to live and save up again? He seems to work if the edit is true behind the airport so I don't think he is at some career type computer job that he is making the big bucks at.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Snewtsie said:

After travelling a person's stomach can be sensitive, so offer simple things to ease them into the new environment.

Like when you bring a new cat home from the shelter. They can have stomach issues. I get the feeling that Colty and Debbie would be a lot more generous with their cats' stomachs and health than with Larissa's comfort.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, queenjen said:

Like when you bring a new cat home from the shelter. They can have stomach issues. I get the feeling that Colty and Debbie would be a lot more generous with their cats' stomachs and health than with Larissa's comfort.

Haha, YES- EXACTLY. @queenjen!!!  As I am the mom of 2 rescue kitties, and I am a busy volunteer for a local nonprofit cat rescue group, I could not have said it better myself!!!  =^.^=

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Snewtsie said:

Haha, YES- EXACTLY. @queenjen!!!  As I am the mom of 2 rescue kitties, and I am a busy volunteer for a local nonprofit cat rescue group, I could not have said it better myself!!!  =^.^=

And we all know what it takes to bring a new kitty home and that it can take some time before they can learn to live together amicably. But in most cases it happens, with time and patience. 

• Love 3

I just heard on RealiTV podcast that it's well worth running Twitter while watching 90DF. Apparently there are some very shady SM people on TLC who live tweet during the episodes. From this we learn that Larissa WHO WAS IN BED THE NEXT MORNING IN THE SAME PLEATHER SKIRT OUTFIT from the night before (I didn't notice this when I watched as she had the sheets drawn up to her chin) was expecting Colty to take her out to dinner when she arrived in LV. Poor thing. She probably misinterpreted 'and we'll get a bite to eat when you get in' to mean he'd take her somewhere like real adults in this situation.

I did, however, notice that Colty was wearing the same voluminous maroon shirt HE was wearing the night before. I figured he just picked it up off the floor for breakfast though.

• Love 6
On 11/6/2018 at 1:07 PM, sconstant said:

Yes.  And then yes again.  (And when we say "try a pretzel" we are talking not about the traditional Philly street cart fare, but a "we JUST made this and buttered it for you" thing which actually made of a slice of cloud mixed with sparkles, manna, and ambrosia, rolled out and then baked.)

ZOMMGG, that sounds line PRINCESS TOAST!

• Love 3
On 11/6/2018 at 6:45 PM, lucy711 said:

Colt's relationship with his mother makes me sad.  It's not healthy, but I kinda get why they are like that considering he is an only child and his father died.  My mother passed when I was in college.  I am an only child as well, and it killed me when I moved out shortly after (I went to live with my fiancee- now husband- and he couldn't afford the place on his own).  I beat myself up over it and wondered if I did the right thing.  In the end it was all fine, but I was very upset that my father "lost" (in a way) his daughter so soon after he lost his wife.  If I hadn't been engaged, I might have stayed home longer than would be healthy, leading to the two of us becoming dependent.  Happily, he remarried a few years ago!  I think Colt's mother needs some therapy, and hopefully Larissa will have a softer touch than we have seen.

I thought Colt has a brother- doesn’t he go to see him and his sister in law in episode 1?

30 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I thought Colt has a brother- doesn’t he go to see him and his sister in law in episode 1?

That was a cousin.  In the previews he is back next episode.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PityFree said:

Or Colt and his mother on one side and Larissa on the other?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Taken at face value, Colt seems to love being taken care of, and without his dad around, his mom only has him to take care of. He sort of assumed his dad's role when he passed, and also received all the privileges he saw his dad get growing up-- a grown woman who lives to fulfill his every need. Now his mom is getting older and maybe slowing down a bit. He realizes his good thing isn't going to last forever and realizes he needs to find someone else to take care of him for his life, like his dad had. 

Colt's mom is going to appreciate Colt's wife when she needs a caregiver, which may be around the corner. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spike said:

That was a cousin.  In the previews he is back next episode.

Thank you. 

@PityFree I own a 2 flat (or duplex as they are often called). I live in apartment 2 and my mom and sister (she’s severally mentally disabled) live in apartment 1. I know many multigenerational families with this arrangement. It works for us, I’m close by but everyone has their privacy and we don’t HAVE to look at each other unless we want to; this may be a good arrangement for Colt, Larrissa and his Mom down the road. Not sure if Colt and Larrissa want children, which would require more space. 

• Love 5
On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 AM, DaphneCat said:

OK - this is a bit of a rant.  We (on the board) ALWAYS criticize the American for not eating whatever they are given in the foreign country - even when they are CLEARLY being trolled.  Snails, you don't know how to even cook?  Cow foot?  Balut - that I didn't see Hazel happily chomping down?  Chicken feet?  I'm not saying it's wrong to criticize them BUT - when the foreign person arrives in this country and they are offered something the American clearly eats - breakfast burrito, cheesesteak, beef stew - somehow it is OK for the foreign person to turn up their nose.  Leida wasn't going to like ANY food offered by Eric while little Aless was happily trying anything new offered to him.  I'm not saying the person should simply eat anything awful forever, but Colt and Debbie clearly were not trying to troll Larissa with the food - Debbie even told her she could have something else if she didn't like stew.  Yes, Eric did not present the cheesesteak with any finesse but it wasn't like he was going out of his way to find something he personally thought was disgusting.  Even though the American is not offering something we may feel is appropriate - I truly believe they are trying to do their best.

In the case of balut while it is offered to see how you react it is a common street food snack throughout Southeast Asia and unless Hazel's brand of  Christianity objected like say Seventh Day Adventist tend towards vegetarianism  then she has almost surely had happy chomped down and chased it with a beer

• Love 1

I think I understand Eric Eyebags whirlwind frantic behavior. He's nervous and exhausted playing his phoney act of "I'm the man" who can care for this phoney wealthy woman. 

Breakfast burritos? Haha, talk about revenge cooking. He threw a bag of cold tortillas on the table. "We're NOT getting a maid." (Whispers to self, "you're the maid, bitch.")

Angrily plopping the messy PhillySteak sandwich on the table. Could Leida not walk around to find the niceties for the meal? Did she not bring enough rubles for bottled water or cheese samples for her little family? 

Next week will be interesting to see if the parents just sit back expecting him to provide their food & entertainment. Then he'll be waiting on 4-5 people! His hair will be standing on all ends by then.

His nice-guy act is going to crash once the family leaves. Eric isn't going to move a muscle to help Leida. In fact, I predict his true colors are those of a mean, ugly man. Sitting in his chair night after night, sipping his alcoholic drink of choice, glaring at Leida & probably scaring little Alless. Oh dear...

• Love 13

I think the food thing is the first (and clearest) sign to the international folks what they are getting into. If I was on a date, and my date got me a Philly Cheesesteak (which no one in Philly really ever eats anyway) that would be my last date. I'm not even that attractive, but damn-- show a woman some chivalry! Unfortunately for the internationals, they are international and stuck with the cheap American that no even remotely attractive American woman would ever consider dating. The thing is, that once the internationals become residents and get used to the culture, they will easily meet American men that treat them way better and offer them way more, and they will leave. I think that's why Paul wants to keep Karine in Brazil-- he knows a better man will come along in 2 seconds and swoop her up. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 7
On November 7, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Spike said:

You can get a reduced amount at 62.  Maybe she receives some kind of disability or widow’s benefits.

When a spouse dies and he was on SS and it's more than what you're  receiving then you get his. If  she started collecting at 62 they deduct a very little bit from the full spouse amount . I don't know if I made sense. I started collecting @ 62 which wasn't much because of the industry I worked wasn't very highly paid. When my husband started collecting at 65 despite still working my amount jumped $30o . My husband was high salaried and got maximum , when he passed away I received his amount minus few dollars.  I suspect son pays rent and she buys the makings for her baby boys meals.  I've never seen such an empty closet as his. 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

I think the food thing is the first (and clearest) sign to the international folks what they are getting into. If I was on a date, and my date got me a Philly Cheesesteak (which no one in Philly really ever eats anyway) that would be my last date. I'm not even that attractive, but damn-- show a woman some chivalry! Unfortunately for the internationals, they are international and stuck with the cheap American that no even remotely attractive American woman would ever consider dating. The thing is, that once the internationals become residents and get used to the culture, they will easily meet American men that treat them way better and offer them way more, and they will leave. I think that's why Paul wants to keep Karine in Brazil-- he knows a better man will come along in 2 seconds and swoop her up. 

The question is do you look for an American Indonesian restaurant,  which might be a pall imitation of the home cook, because it is the first day after a day on a plane? Or welcome to America here are  quick calories until you work through jet lag.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, PityFree said:

Good thought, if they can find one.  A friend who lived on the west coast and was a lifelong bachelor with no children developed health issues.  He bought a quad-plex and "rented" the other 3 areas to various nieces and nephews, and their spouses.  In exchange for reasonable rent, they lived there and helped him if he needed help.  It was a great situation.  When he passed away, ownership reverted to one of the nephews and they were able to live nicely.

14 hours ago, silverspoons said:

I'm trying to figure out what is off about Colt's edit. the no sofa, yet the kitchen looks very lived in (like someone has lived there awhile). He said he is a world traveler , I know that can mean different things to different people. Is he the type that has worked, saved, taken extended trips and then comes back to his mom's to live and save up again? He seems to work if the edit is true behind the airport so I don't think he is at some career type computer job that he is making the big bucks at.

My thought was they had old furniture, and opted to get rid of it before she got there.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Colt & Mother seem like creatures of habit. Sadly, Larissa probably landed on beef stew night.  Their home is not a diner & Debs isn't obligated to offer a smorgasbord for her highness. It was on Colt to know his future wife better; know her likes (pools for instance) & dislikes (there are many), but that would include food. They could've stocked the fridge so Diva could rudely turn down crap she typically eats. Or, just take her to a market the next day & have her pick food, then she can't complain (as much... maybe).

Larissa said she was tired, so doubtful she'd want to 'do the town' right off the re-enactment of her arrival plane.

Coltie really did drop the ball here.  He's been on vacation with her, so he should have had some idea of what she likes to eat, and he could have prepared his mother--who I think would have gone out of her way to try to prepare something she knew Larissa liked.  The thing is, I don't think it has occurred to Coltie to notice what Larissa likes and dislikes.  People here have posted how unlikely it is that there would be a swimming pool at a private home in Vegas--and for good reasons--and that's something he either could have prepared her for ahead of time (assuming they even discussed living conditions) or explained in a few words when she first mentioned it in front of Debbie.  Larissa doesn't seem delusional; she could have understood why they would not be getting a pool.

Ideally, he would have booked a hotel room for the first night, to let her get a glimpse of "movie" Las Vegas, but he wasn't going to waste money on that, not when he had a perfectly comfortable house to sleep in for free.  Romance is not Coltie's strong point.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, queenjen said:

I just heard on RealiTV podcast that it's well worth running Twitter while watching 90DF. Apparently there are some very shady SM people on TLC who live tweet during the episodes. From this we learn that Larissa WHO WAS IN BED THE NEXT MORNING IN THE SAME PLEATHER SKIRT OUTFIT from the night before (I didn't notice this when I watched as she had the sheets drawn up to her chin) was expecting Colty to take her out to dinner when she arrived in LV. Poor thing. She probably misinterpreted 'and we'll get a bite to eat when you get in' to mean he'd take her somewhere like real adults in this situation.

I did, however, notice that Colty was wearing the same voluminous maroon shirt HE was wearing the night before. I figured he just picked it up off the floor for breakfast though.

While I agree that it's entirely believable that these two would sleep in their clothes (actually, though, don't you think Coltie had Larissa's pleather off her the minute he got to the bedroom?) I think it's a lot more likely that the shots showing Larissa in bed with the covers up under her chin were staged by the producers, as were the scenes of the next morning.  I don't trust that anything in this show happens in the time frame it's made to appear to be happening.

And Coltie may have many of those maroon shirts.  Once he found a style that flatters his bust, he probably bought the store out.

10 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

a Philly Cheesesteak (which no one in Philly really ever eats anyway

Wrong.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I've never seen such an empty closet as his. 

I have. I had a college roommate that actual reminds me a lot of Cole. His closet had 7 tshirts, 7 pairs of shorts, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes and a hoodie. All of the shirts had video game/cartoon characters on them and when one started to wear out, he's begin an extensive search for its replacement. He also tried international dating. It didn't go well. He eventually found a quite, only slightly-odd woman who could deal with his quirks. They're happily married now. Turns out, there is a lid for every pot.

• Love 5
On 11/7/2018 at 4:45 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I disagree.  To me, nothing says family home like a slot machine in the dining room.

When they were at the Las Vegas sign, he said something about how she'd been in town for three hours; I don't remember how he put it, but I didn't get the impression that he meant she'd spent 3 hours in customs at the airport.  And the Las Vegas sign is right by the airport--you can even see planes sitting there across the street, and I thought, "It took you three hours to get to the sign from the airport?"

So I wonder if they DID drive around, maybe even down the strip, and they didn't show it.

You have to have at least 20 years of service to retire from the military, and he's only 40.  He could have 20 years of military service under his belt, but he would have had to hustle. 

I retired from the Marines after 3 years with full benefits, Medicla retirement, Lots of people do this fromeither getting ill while on AD or being injured. It could even be for something like PTSD. One doesnt have to be disabled in the VA/SSDI sort of way, just unable to do ones job.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

I retired from the Marines after 3 years with full benefits, Medicla retirement, Lots of people do this fromeither getting ill while on AD or being injured.

Does it have to do with disability, or is it a perk to atone for something bad happening when a person was on active duty (I assume that's what AD is)? 

30 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Does it have to do with disability, or is it a perk to atone for something bad happening when a person was on active duty (I assume that's what AD is)? 

Sorry, AD is active duty, Basically if you get sick or injured while on active duty and cannot perform your job, they can retire you.  It can be anything from getting cancer or a heart condition, to a physical injury. You get the same benefits as doing 20 yearsTricare, retirement pay, space a travel, etc. Them usually one would file for a VA pension of some sort, but thatbit a different system. Many people qualify for both military retirement and a VA disability pension.(although your taxable military retirement pay then gets rolled into your Non taxable VA pension). I would not be surprised if he gets either military retirement benefits of VA benefits.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Sorry, AD is active duty, Basically if you get sick or injured while on active duty and cannot perform your job, they can retire you.  It can be anything, getting cancer, a heart condition, a physical injury. You get the same benefits as doing 20 years.. Tricare. retirement pay, space a travel, etc. Them usually one would file for a VA pension of some sort, but thatbit a different system. Many people qualify for both military retirement and a VA disability pension.(although your taxable military retirment pay then gets rolled into your Non taxable VA pension). Imwould not be surprised if he gets either military retirement benefits of VA benefits.

Hi  JENNYMOMINFLORIDA ! 

Since I know very little about retirement or benifits  for service I looked it up several hours ago and it looks like medical benifits / care are available after even 2 years after an honorable discharge. I just have veteran friends who worked in civilian jobs after service and didn't use Vets hospital etc because of work insurance and it wasn't convenient in a small town or only when their insurance was no longer available. I volunteered 6 years at a veterans hospital but know squat. 

From what I saw even family is covered yes? 

17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thank you. 

@PityFree I own a 2 flat (or duplex as they are often called). I live in apartment 2 and my mom and sister (she’s severally mentally disabled) live in apartment 1. I know many multigenerational families with this arrangement. It works for us, I’m close by but everyone has their privacy and we don’t HAVE to look at each other unless we want to; this may be a good arrangement for Colt, Larrissa and his Mom down the road. Not sure if Colt and Larrissa want children, which would require more space. 

There are days where I wish I had this arrangement with Mr Frauded, especially on game days  lol

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Hi  JENNYMOMINFLORIDA ! 

Since I know very little about retirement or benifits  for service I looked it up several hours ago and it looks like medical benifits / care are available after even 2 years after an honorable discharge. I just have veteran friends who worked in civilian jobs after service and didn't use Vets hospital etc because of work insurance and it wasn't convenient in a small town or only when their insurance was no longer available. I volunteered 6 years at a veterans hospital but know squat. 

From what I saw even family is covered yes? 

Its a little complicated.  When you do your 4 or 6 years  you then move to th IRR. All enlistments are actually for 8 year with some active, some inactive. As a general rule, if you are eligable for tricare then so is your family..  My husband  and kids are/had Tricare. However VA medical benefits are different from Tricare and are only for the service member.  

There are actually 2 healthcare systems for the military.  Tricare, which is for active duty, retirees and their family. Tricare can be used either at a military treatment facility or at any doctor which takes tricare. The VA is strictly for  the service member, although I think there may be some weird rules for a disabled spouse. Im both retired and rated 100% disabled for the VA. I can use both the VA and Tricare. I prefer civilian docs and only have ever used the VA for dental. 

Something that makes me wonder if Eric  is either rated disabled by the VA or mediclaly retired is that fact that he did 8 years. Most people who reenlist plan to do 20. People usually do their 2 , 4 or 6 year enlistement and then get out. He did 8, which means he reenlisted. So was that his plan and then something happen? I would love a peek at his DD214

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Leida's family arrives in NYC; Ashley's friends throw a party for Jay; Asuelu tells his side of the story to Kolini; Larissa clashes with Debbie; Fernanda and Jonathan fight at the club; Olga feels contractions and gets unexpected news.

3 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

Basically if you get sick or injured while on active duty and cannot perform your job, they can retire you.  It can be anything from getting cancer or a heart condition, to a physical injury. You get the same benefits as doing 20 yearsTricare, retirement pay, space a travel, etc.

Holy cow, that's a hell of a deal.  But I think along those lines.  I had a coworker who was in a car wreck and the tips of some of her fingers were severed, and she sued and got a very nice sum.  The rest of us were looking at our hands and thinking, "What would I take to give up the tips of these fingers?"

In the case of the military, if you're going to get cancer anyway, you'd be WELL advised to get the diagnosis while on active duty.  Of course you don't know you'll get cancer, and there are other considerations when it comes to being in the military, but with the health insurance situation these days, they should have that front and center, instead of relying on participants in forums about trash TV to educate/recruit people.

Your comments about Eric's eight years do make me wonder.  He looks like hell for someone who's 40, and obviously being sick can do that to a person.  So you might be on to something.

(And if I can ask just one more question--does the sickness or injury have to prevent you from ever performing your job again, or can it just be that you can't perform it because you're undergoing cancer treatment, for example, and you might get better and be able to work again?)

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Raja said:

The question is do you look for an American Indonesian restaurant,  which might be a pall imitation of the home cook, because it is the first day after a day on a plane? Or welcome to America here are  quick calories until you work through jet lag.

My first day in Japan many years ago, I was taken to a Texas BBQ restaurant. The cultural interpretation of the genre was more interesting than the food was good.  I was grateful to be taken out for dinner, but it wasn't a place I would have chosen. Simple food like chicken, rice, and vegetables are generally acceptable in any (non-vegetarian) culture and gentle to the tummies of jet-lagged travelers.  

• Love 5

If it were me, and I was going to a foreign country for the first time, the last thing I would want was food from my home country, Now, I can understand she is there full time and that some food thta she is familar with would be good, but for the first meal, I would want. something from the country I was eating in.

I remember the day I got to london for the first time, My friend took me for Mexican food. I wanted English food , pub food, or even indian food..Not something i could find everywhere in the US. He should have taken her out for, or served her a typical American meal, not what i assume was a gross beef stew

Statistical Outlier, taking your question to small talk

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Mothra said:

While I agree that it's entirely believable that these two would sleep in their clothes (actually, though, don't you think Coltie had Larissa's pleather off her the minute he got to the bedroom?) I think it's a lot more likely that the shots showing Larissa in bed with the covers up under her chin were staged by the producers, as were the scenes of the next morning.  I don't trust that anything in this show happens in the time frame it's made to appear to be happening.

And Coltie may have many of those maroon shirts.  Once he found a style that flatters his bust, he probably bought the store out.

Wrong.

Typing this while lying down in a sarcophagus because I'm dead. 

• Love 7

On my first day in China on a business trip, the Chinese company brought in a very "special" lunch, and they were so proud!  McDonald's!  Yes, they passed out burgers and fries to us all, as they were trying to make us feel comfortable.  Very sweet of them, but also funny at the time.

• Love 12
On 11/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, funky-rat said:

And it will get me the side eye, but I don't mind Dinty Moore beef stew.  Guilty pleasure.  We tear up slightly stale bread and line the bottom of the bowl before dishing it out.

OMGoodness. I don't eat Dinty Moore any more, tho if pressed, that's what I would buy. But the description of the bread in the bowl and the stew on top - I can't tell you how many times I've had that - especially with Aliya, jr. when I was in grad school. Sniff sniff.  Those were the days.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

<snip>Not sure whether Larissa's rudeness was inadvertent or, well, vertent, but Mama Colt's was definitely vertent.<snip>

Giggled over this for far too many minutes, because it reminded me of a line from the movie "Private Benjamin" (starring Goldie Hawn), which always makes me laugh:

Sgt. Ross: "Beware...there are mine fields out there. Most of them are inert. However, some of them are ert."

LOL!

On 11/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, Mothra said:

<snip>

Here's the thing that gets me about Coltie:  like many of the American men, he's aiming far above his level in his pursuit of women, and I think he's headed for heartbreak. <snip>

He's a nerd, and there are plenty of female nerds around, active on social media, but he apparently is not interested in them.  It's my opinion only, of course, but I believe Coltie turns up his nose at normal-looking women, like so many of these guys, and goes abroad where his perceived wealth makes him a lot more attractive than he actually is.  I bet he would sneer at an overweight woman who is just as nice, as funny, as nerdy and as thrifty as he is; he wants an unrealistic Lara Croft partner. <snip>

This, a couple thousand times!

So many are just looking for "eye candy" (and lotsa lotsa sex) with little or no though as to compatibility; similar goals, morality, interests, etc. To be fair, plenty of Americans are like that when searching for American partners, too - but I think the stakes are considerably higher with foreign spouses, on both sides.

The foreigner, once they arrive in the US, is completely at the mercy of their American partner - in an unfamiliar country, trying to acclimate to what is a totally different culture, perhaps not able to effectively communicate, and unable to work if the relationship goes south and their partner is unable/unwilling to provide for their needs. 

The American partner may quickly discover their foreign import making demands they cannot or will not fulfill, realizing they have wants/needs vastly different from their own they must accommodate, compromising on cultural differences, and navigating language barriers.

But of course they didn't stop to think any of this through before offering marriage to someone from a foreign country they barely know, because "boobies" (or "dick")!

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Formatting
  • Love 7

Mama Debbie is really good at playing the poor victim role. She immediately takes offense at everything Larissa says. Get your own life, Mama Debbie. Don't depend on Coltee for your social life and don't expect Larissa to be your cheerleader and to fall into that role. Why should she? Mama Debbie opens up a can of Dinty Moore Beef stew, adds salt and pepper, pours it into a melamine bowl, and acts like she has created a gourmet meal from scratch. So sad. The house looks terrible with the slot machine, the 4 foot tall stuffed snowmen in the bare living room, the clutter on the kitchen counters, the horrible bedding on the beds. Did you get a load of that brownish gray blanket on the bed in the "master suite"? The whole place is depressing. I think Mama Debbie thought she would live out the rest of her days with her and Coltee eating Beef Stew a la Debbie alone in that house and sharing scintillating conversation. She isn't happy about anyone coming in and breaking up the couple.  

• Love 8
On 11/7/2018 at 4:45 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

So I wonder if they DID drive around, maybe even down the strip, and they didn't show it

Doubt it, they’d have to pay some of the bigger name casinos for the rights to show them. If you remember when Jason and Cassia went there to supposedly get married, they were off the strip in a no-name motel.

Getting through customs takes a while, took me almost 2 hours in Great Britain, there were a bunch of us foreigners.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:08 PM, gonecrackers said:

Colt & Mother seem like creatures of habit. Sadly, Larissa probably landed on beef stew night.  Their home is not a diner & Debs isn't obligated to offer a smorgasbord for her highness. It was on Colt to know his future wife better; know her likes (pools for instance) & dislikes (there are many), but that would include food. They could've stocked the fridge so Diva could rudely turn down crap she typically eats. Or, just take her to a market the next day & have her pick food, then she can't complain (as much... maybe).

Larissa said she was tired, so doubtful she'd want to 'do the town' right off the re-enactment of her arrival plane.

I agree with everything here. Mother is not obligated to do anything for Larissa, its Colts job to make her comfortable and if he doesnt know how to stock the fridge with food it's about time he learns. There is so much wrong here and codependency between mom and grown son. It looks like Mom is looking at Colt as sort of a pseudo husband, who goes to work every day and she cooks and cleans for him, in exchange for his companionship and need for her. It's sad that she never pushed him to fly on his own, live on his own, prepare his own meals, do his own laundry sometimes. Sharing a car with his mom probably meant that Colt did not value a social life of any kind. I would assume that it is his Mothers house and Colt just never moved out. I wish that Mother would stop blaming Larissa for everything though.l, even the complaints, and try to see the bigger picture, that even though Colt has a good job, and Larissa may not be the most desieablenwoman on the planet, she is wayyyyyyyy out of his league, and he should feel lucky that any woman would be willing to marry him. 

• Love 5