Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, Tvshipper said:

Yeah, there are also pictures from the upcoming episode that have Johnny Adkins and Carla in the school cafeteria. Pretty sure they were either in Erica's class or Barry's, so I guess everyone is just still in high school. Oh well

I could easily see them getting held back more than once.

• Love 2

Funny I had to argue with my 7 year old that Jackie is a different actress. He kept saying she just got a makeover.  Count me in the Rowan fan club.  I didn't watch Girl Meets World but Rowan has been a very vocal feminist and even at a young age talked about intersectionalism in a way that floored me.  It was stuff that I didn't even talk about in college women studies classes. So, for that, I like her.  She doesn't seem to be the typical Disney gal who wants to get a recording contract. 

• Love 1

Erica thinks all of her singing dreams are going to come true when she lands a job at the new karoke bar in town. But when she’s tasked with bringing in more customers, will Erica regret turning to Beverly for help? Meanwhile, Murray tries to teach Barry and Lainey how to be financially responsible adults.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode. Things I liked:

Geoff's callback to his stage fight from The Tasty Boys episode.

Barry controlling the utilities like a mad man...also his homemade Rad clothes fashioned with tape

Frenta karaoke

Rick Springfield!

The Barry/Lainey engagement has been going on for a bit...but I am sure the spinoff will come into play at some point. All of the parents were trying to talk them out of it...then they will come to accept it and Barry and Lainey will learn on their own eventually that the timing isn't right. 

Also, I am missing the JTP moments. Hopefully some more of those will happen soon. It is nice to see Beverly happily hanging out with friends of her own. 

• Love 12

I was hoping with the Bev-o-lution episode we were generally done with hard core Smother stories. However, I didn't mind how this one played out. While Bev and Erica going head-to-head and coming to a truce is nothing new, I appreciated the route the story took tonight. Bev generally accepted Erica's wishes and treated her like an adult while Erica could not shake the teenage-esque treatment of her mother.

It's odd, one of the first times I realized how much I grew up while away for my first year of college was when I was home and my conversations with my parents felt like peers interacting, not a parent-teacher relationship. Obviously that never fully goes away, but you notice the changing dynamic. I went to school across the country and didn't come home nearly as Erica. Of course I never had a mother like Bev either.

I actually would have enjoyed if this was one episode where their spat wasn't resolved to give it some permanence. If Bev's "I'm exhausted, I give up on trying to please you" was the final beat for that story tonight, it would have really resonated as to just how much of a brat Erica was being while trying to be treated as an adult.

I don't think we need a Black-ish style 5 episode misery-fest, but going to a 2 episode crisis and resolution would have been a fun shake up on the show's normal single episode resolutions. Especially as they leveraged all the past clips for both Murray and Bev.

Also, Erica has always been pretty, but their character decisions to treat her as the adult she is are noticeable. In that tailored tee that was her server's uniform tonight... Uhhh, that made me feel things

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

I was hoping with the Bev-o-lution episode we were generally done with hard core Smother stories. However, I didn't mind how this one played out. While Bev and Erica going head-to-head and coming to a truce is nothing new, I appreciated the route the story took tonight. Bev generally accepted Erica's wishes and treated her like an adult while Erica could not shake the teenage-esque treatment of her mother.

It's odd, one of the first times I realized how much I grew up while away for my first year of college was when I was home and my conversations with my parents felt like peers interacting, not a parent-teacher relationship. Obviously that never fully goes away, but you notice the changing dynamic. I went to school across the country and didn't come home nearly as Erica. Of course I never had a mother like Bev either.

I actually would have enjoyed if this was one episode where their spat wasn't resolved to give it some permanence. If Bev's "I'm exhausted, I give up on trying to please you" was the final beat for that story tonight, it would have really resonated as to just how much of a brat Erica was being while trying to be treated as an adult.

I don't think we need a Black-ish style 5 episode misery-fest, but going to a 2 episode crisis and resolution would have been a fun shake up on the show's normal single episode resolutions. Especially as they leveraged all the past clips for both Murray and Bev.

Also, Erica has always been pretty, but their character decisions to treat her as the adult she is are noticeable. In that tailored tee that was her server's uniform tonight... Uhhh, that made me feel things

Keep in mind that while Erica did go to college, she didn't even finish one year...most of which she spent partying and performing poorly in her classes. Not much growing up can happen in that short of a period of time. She is definitely quite a brat though at times. I don't mind that they make up by the end of every episode. It is a comedy after all and I like it to stay in the lighter side. There is enough drama in the world..and enough dramas on TV :)

• Love 6

I was confused because I couldn't remember what Jackie looked like to determine whether it was the same actress or not.  But I didn't like her either way in this episode.  I think it was too much for her to change her look and be mean to Adam--especially in that later scene when he was talking about getting the papers for the car, and she was so disappointed in him.  I was like, ummm, you are hanging out with a guy that started this whole race thing, saying whoever wins gets the papers.... so why is Adam in the wrong when he wins?  I didn't like that at all, and thought he should dump her altogether.  But they also have no chemistry as the previous Jackie did with Adam.  

• Love 3

Rick Springfield and Beverley doing karaoke is now one of my favorite things this show has ever done. 

Pops is, of course, the one person who is just super supportive of everything. He is just around to sip cocktails and be awesome, and he is almost out of cocktails. For now anyway. 

Was Rad ever that big of a movie in the 80s? I do see it being something that Barry would think was super cool. "We`re selling the rad bike and the keytair together, because it just makes the most sense."

• Love 13
50 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

I'd never even heard of the movie before I watched the episode. But it certainly looks like something that Barry would love,

I have, but only because my husband was REALLY into BMX.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Believe me, BMX was the big craze for boys (say, 7-18?) back from 1980 to 1987 or so.  Then they were really into skateboards.  Nobody remember the Aussie movie  BMX Bandits?

I only remember it from seeing pictures online of a very young Nicole Kidman. 

I remember BMX being really big in the 80s, but I don't remember any movies about it. On the other hand, I do remember Gleaming the Cube and Police Academy 4 having skateboarding in them, and Tony Hawk being in both. (He was also in Thrashin' too which I didn't know about until Josh Brolin had his comeback with Milk and No Country for Old Men.)

As for the episode, I loved seeing Rick Springfield and the constant use of Jessie's Girl, but I've grown tired of Erica especially the show always having to have the actress sing. 

• Love 7

I think the JTP should have performed a number of their own, or at least have been backup dancers for Bev and the Frentas. Where was Big Tasty? Why wasn't Lainey on stage? Coach Mellor doing a duet with his brother? So many missed opportunities, imo.

• Love 5

The movie Rad came out in 1986, so BMXing must've been popular around that time.

Murray's "How Not To Be A Money Moron" board was pretty funny.

Rick Springfield trying to sing his own song was the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae.  Not only is he a great musician, but also a terrific actor.  I love him in everything he's in.

• Love 8
On 10/11/2018 at 10:57 PM, mortonsalt said:

As for the episode, I loved seeing Rick Springfield and the constant use of Jessie's Girl, but I've grown tired of Erica especially the show always having to have the actress sing. 

Wait, so you're telling me Erica/Hayley Orrantia likes to sing? The show's been so subtle about it...

Seriously, though, I hope this is the end of Erica and Bev's knockdown, drag-out spats and reconciliations. I know that's how life is with mothers and daughters, but I'm over Erica's tantrums.

• Love 4
On 10/11/2018 at 12:46 PM, paulvdb said:

I'd never even heard of the movie before I watched the episode. But it certainly looks like something that Barry would love,

The name sounded familiar, but I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out I have absolutely no memory of this movie. I think it seems like something I had heard of because the premise (a movie about BMX seems like something that clearly existed in the 80's), so my mind assumes I had heard of this particular movie. But looking it up, I seriously do not remember ever hearing about it. And I think I would have remembered a movie from 1986 with a young Lori Loughlin. I certainly remember her from Secret Admirer from around that same time.

In any case, Rad is something that must have eluded me back then, and up until this episode of The Goldbergs.

On the other hand, considering it only grossed $2 million at the box office, I shouldn't be surprised I had no memory of this movie. 

As for the rest of the episode, I am incredibly curious as to why Murray's first, second and last piece of financial advice to Barry isn't "Get a job, moron!". 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1

Go away, Erica.  She is insufferable.

Barry said something about his mom buying lots of grated cheese. My memory isn't great, but way back when, in the 80s, didn't we still have to grate our own cheese? And tear up lettuce?  When did bags of grated cheese and bags of salad become a thing?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Go away, Erica.  She is insufferable.

Barry said something about his mom buying lots of grated cheese. My memory isn't great, but way back when, in the 80s, didn't we still have to grate our own cheese? And tear up lettuce?  When did bags of grated cheese and bags of salad become a thing?

A quick internet search suggested that shredded cheese first became a thing around the 1950s or 1960s. I think most people probably did still shred their own because pre shredded likely cost more back then. I guess Barry was onto something lol

• Love 5

Adam discovers Beverly has been manipulating him with guilt letters when he tells his mother he doesn’t want her to chaperone the school trip to Hershey Park. Meanwhile, after attending Career Night, Geoff realizes he doesn’t want to be an eye doctor like his father.

• Love 2

Congratulations on getting the Hershey Highway past Standards and Practices, writers. You can expect passive aggressive emails from all of your mothers now.

While Bev may be a little gullible to Adam's theme park current events stories, he ability to follow the detail is quite impressive.

Barry was incredibly cute this episode. I'm pretty sure he grows up to be the Todd.

Edited by Traveller519
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

I loved having the character speak to Adam's mom at the end, and she actually had a 12 page letter just like the content from the show.  So hilarious.  I found this episode to be back on track with previous seasons--a few cute and simple storylines, and some funny things along the way.

• Love 11

The best episode of the season so far in my opinion. I always love seeing the full JTP group. Lots of funny moments, the roller coaster scene, the scoop balls, new Geoff, Murray insisting that he wasn't involved and then being at the principal's office with Geoff saying "Why am I here?"

It is also refreshing to see Barry actually being good at something. 

• Love 12

It's better if you don't try to watch it chronologically - if the writers need Barry still to be in high school, he'll be in high school.   I'm an early baby boomer so I'm probably around the real Beverly's age.  There is a little bit of nostalgia for me - I remember seeing "The Day After", and I have been to Hershey Park, and some other things I have forgotten.  It can bring up a few nice memories for me - and, sometimes, a few good laughs.

• Love 5

Rad isn’t even available for purchase anywhere- that is how unique and rare it was. I have a twin brother and was exposed to “boy stuff” while playing with my Cabbage Patch Kid dolls. It’s definitely a cult film, like Grease 2, except the dancing takes place on actual bikes. I kid you not. Also, lots of cute guys were in it, especially those twin BMX bikers!

???Send me an Angel.....whoo whoo whoo.....send me an Angel.....

You can’t even find the soundtrack anywhere, which sucks.

I’ve only seen copies of the film for sale via eBay and it’s always for an outrageous sum of money...and only available on VHS tape.

#RadRules

Edited by Bridget

I love when they have the real versions of the characters on, its so much fun! Love real Bev and her guilt letters (especially when TV Bev kept saying "yes, I really wrote that" over and over) hanging out with TV Bev. Loved the parents of Adams friends all trying to write their own letters, and the kids being horrified. We even got to see JTP again, only for Geoff to temporarily take over! "That class is like 30% of our grade, but New Geoff dont care." 

Nice to see Barry being good at something, and heading towards his future as a doctor. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I love when they have the real versions of the characters on, its so much fun! Love real Bev and her guilt letters (especially when TV Bev kept saying "yes, I really wrote that" over and over) hanging out with TV Bev. Loved the parents of Adams friends all trying to write their own letters, and the kids being horrified. We even got to see JTP again, only for Geoff to temporarily take over! "That class is like 30% of our grade, but New Geoff dont care." 

Nice to see Barry being good at something, and heading towards his future as a doctor. 

Yes!! to everything! 

I also love that Geoff's dad was played by Sam Lerner's father.,and that the background footage for the ride on the Super Duper Looper, REALLY WAS from that ride. It's still there, I rode it last year (and the first year it opened. I had that same T-shirt too).

It must be so much fun making these shows!

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 7
On 10/19/2018 at 2:21 PM, tennisgurl said:

Iice to see Barry being good at something, and heading towards his future as a doctor. 

This was one of the first times Barry didn't get on my nerves by acting so dopey.

• Love 5

Sports has gotten in the way of all of my shows so I just watched (and forgot to extend the time so will have to watch again On Demand to see the end because I love the Real Goldbergs stuff).

I had seen Real Adam talking about the roller coaster scene on twitter but he absolutely undersold it!

Until I saw a video on YouTube of a girl passing out like that on a ride I had no idea that could happen.  I was rolling that they BOTH were doing it.

I hope that’s not something serious because then I would feel badly for laughing.  But I mean, they’re talking, and then flopped over, and then flailing about again and knowing it was actors made a great visual.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, tennisgurl said:

Was Rad ever that big of a movie in the 80s?

On 10/11/2018 at 11:57 PM, mortonsalt said:

I remember BMX being really big in the 80s, but I don't remember any movies about it.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:18 AM, biakbiak said:

The podcast How Did This Get Made has a good episode about Rad!

On 10/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, Utpe said:

The movie Rad came out in 1986, so BMXing must've been popular around that time.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, reggiejax said:

The name sounded familiar, but I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it turns out I have absolutely no memory of this movie. I think it seems like something I had heard of because the premise (a movie about BMX seems like something that clearly existed in the 80's), so my mind assumes I had heard of this particular movie. But looking it up, I seriously do not remember ever hearing about it. And I think I would have remembered a movie from 1986 with a young Lori Loughlin. I certainly remember her from Secret Admirer from around that same time.

In any case, Rad is something that must have eluded me back then, and up until this episode of The Goldbergs.

On the other hand, considering it only grossed $2 million at the box office, I shouldn't be surprised I had no memory of this movie.  

• Love 1

Despite Beverly’s wishes, Jackie’s parents allow Adam to watch “A Nightmare on Elm Street” and a disagreement between the families ensues. But Beverly dreams of facing off with horror icon Freddy Krueger, which teaches her an important lesson about her son’s relationship with Jackie. Meanwhile, Erica realizes she’s not as popular as she once was when she starts hanging out at William Penn Academy, despite the fact she’s no longer a student there.

Original Air Date: 10/24/2018

• Love 1

Did Erica hide their relationship for 3 months because she was embarrassed by Jeff? I remember he was into her and everyone knew it, but she only fell for him later when it was too late because by then he’d lost hope and was with Young Bev. Then we spent part of a season watching Erica pining for Jeff until her broke it off with Young Bev to be with her. I don’t remember her hiding it because she was embarrassed. (She and Young Bev overlapped a bit, I thought.)

• Love 5

My husband is the one who turned me on to this show but as the seasons roll on, he is getting more and more frustrated by Adam. My mom has a hard time dealing with Bev but, for my husband, it's Adam. He finds him immature, whiny, and bratty to the point where he almost can't watch the show these days. I mostly tune Adam out (I like Pops, Murray, Lainey, Barry when he's with Lainey, and a lot of the other supporting cast members). Although I was ecstatic to see the NIghtmare on Elm Street crossover, I was with my husband on this one. Adam is just a little too much for me. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, nilyank said:

Did they explain where Barry was? He was the only missing member of the JTP today.

Until I read this post, it never occurred to me that Barry wasn’t in it.  My enthusiasm for this show has waned.

• Love 9

Murray waking from his slumber, in his tighty whiteys, to complain about Hippies is the best Murray. And awwww, he wanted to go to Woodstock. Actually, as much as I do enjoy Dad-rage Murray, when he gets earnest he is quite fun to listen to.

Pops loves a good presentation!

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Adam is just a little too much for me. 

For me, it's Erica.  What a horrible, hurtful thing to say to the person she's supposedly in love with!  I was cheering Jeff when he said her apology wasn't enough, but then he immediately caved.  Erica didn't bother me that much in the earlier seasons, but she's just horrible and they never have her learn from her mistakes. 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, Whimsy said:

For me, it's Erica.  What a horrible, hurtful thing to say to the person she's supposedly in love with!  I was cheering Jeff when he said her apology wasn't enough, but then he immediately caved.  Erica didn't bother me that much in the earlier seasons, but she's just horrible and they never have her learn from her mistakes. 

None of them seem to learn anything. Well, except Bev. As hard a pill to swallow as she can be sometimes, she does seem to show some emotional growth. Erica gets under my skin. I actually like Geoff and I think she's hateful to him. 

• Love 4