Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

I know that this show has always played fast and loose with how old the kids are, but I really thought that Barry and JTP had already graduated. This is confusing! 

I liked how Jackie's parents handled Adam being afraid, so of course, Beverley gets weird and territorial about it. I miss old Jackie. New Jackie is alright, but I thought old Jackie and Adam had a better give and take. I did laugh at the increasing petty insults between the parents. 

Erica is apparently one car ride away from being Matthew McConaughey from Dazed and Confused, which is just becoming sad at this point. What she said to Geoff was really awful, I wish he hadn't forgiven her so easily. I miss New Geoff. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

For me, it's Erica.  What a horrible, hurtful thing to say to the person she's supposedly in love with!  I was cheering Jeff when he said her apology wasn't enough, but then he immediately caved.  Erica didn't bother me that much in the earlier seasons, but she's just horrible and they never have her learn from her mistakes. 

even my dopey husband asked me "how do you come back from that".  LOL  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

even my dopey husband asked me "how do you come back from that".  LOL  

I don't know. It seems that the whole family makes pretty terrible comments all the time and somehow all is forgiven by the end of the episode. Take Barry for example. Has he ever actually been a good friend to anyone in the JTP? Everyone in the family is self centered. It is kind of the premise for the whole show. 

That being said, I believe that Erica would lash out after becoming a failure in adulthood. I have seen it happen to many people in real life who peaked in high school or college. One day, depending on how long the show continues, she will look back and regretting burning so many people.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tvshipper said:

I don't know. It seems that the whole family makes pretty terrible comments all the time and somehow all is forgiven by the end of the episode. Take Barry for example. Has he ever actually been a good friend to anyone in the JTP? Everyone in the family is self centered. It is kind of the premise for the whole show. 

That being said, I believe that Erica would lash out after becoming a failure in adulthood. I have seen it happen to many people in real life who peaked in high school or college. One day, depending on how long the show continues, she will look back and regretting burning so many people.

Agree, some people peak in high school, whether it's sports or popularity etc... Those 5 - 10 years after high school is what makes or breaks most and determines how the next 10-20 years will be. 

• Love 4

I don't know where they'll go with Erica's storyline but I doubt that they'll make her a permanent loser. Somehow through Geoff and her mom's love, she'll see the error of her ways and stop her downward spiral. I just hope she doesn't become a successful singer and still be a b**ch without learning her lesson.

• Love 4

I just started watching this show about a month ago, but somehow I'm all caught up in just those few weeks. I was really annoyed that there was no Barry in this episode, he's usually Hilarious in the Halloween episodes and it seemed like Geoff took his place within the JTP. So that was weird. And distracting. I *strongly* dislike New Jackie, but as was mentioned at the end of some episode recently (You Got Zuko'd maybe?), Real Jackie came back from New York "a new person." So it makes sense, even though I HATE it!!!

I LOOOOOOOVED the fake beer thing. I'm convinced that beer is so bad that people of all ages, who drink from kegs can't tell the difference and will act drunk. Someone should give me a government grant to test out that theory, but that whole story line seemed very true to life.

So remember at the end when Erica apologized and Geoff put back on the mustache and it kept falling off? I feel like that was unscripted and perfect! (sorry i have a lot of thoughts for only watching for a few weeks!)

• Love 5
On 10/25/2018 at 5:11 AM, Robert Lynch said:

Not liking this new Jackie replacement. She is very wooden and distracts the flow of the series. I miss the old Jackie still.

I was happy when they recast Rowan Blanchard because she wasn't my favorite.  Something about her always sounding like she has a cold, I think.  BUT, I don't like new Jackie, either.  I'm thinking that it's the character that is bad.  A least RB's Jackie had a softness and sweetness to her.  This new one doesn't have that.  Just comes off extra harsh and abrasive.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2018 at 10:07 AM, jmonique said:

I'm still stuck on the timeline: It was Barry's Senior Spring Prom last May, and they're all still in school?

I thought Barry had graduated also.  I know it's nineteen eighty something, but this is ridiculous.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, Eataton said:

I would believe he's stupid enough to be held back.

As would I.  I just don't understand how this Barry could EVER be smart enough to be a doctor, I don't care how good his bedside manner is.

• Love 1

Nightmare on Elm Street is so much my childhood. I was obsessed with those movies. I only wish this had been done several seasons ago, because this show it not so great anymore. Barry was MIA with no explanation, Erica was a monster, and the only good part was Robert Englund.

• Love 2

Murray becomes an overzealous stage parent when he learns Adam has no interest in the school production of “Fiddler on the Roof.”  Meanwhile, Beverly can’t seem to keep from interfering with Erica’s latest career plan.

Original Airdate: 10/31/2018

• Love 1
3 hours ago, incandescent said:

Please, please let this mean Erica and Geoff are gone next season. I know it won't, but please.

Last week I posted that I hope Erica learns her lesson and maybe give up the singing. I guess not, UGH.. I really didn't like the way almost everyone was acting..

• Love 3

Some Brain Droppings:

-So yay, Barry was back...for a couple seconds. I wonder what's going on with Troy Gentile or if I'm being paranoid.

-Here's the problem with New Jackie -- she isn't Original Jackie so it's hard to remember that she's Jackie and not some Random Friend of Adam. I don't know if that makes sense. 

- Fiddler on the Roof -- horribly depressing movie, but funny in person as a musical so I don't get why Adam wouldn't like it except for the fact that the movie sucks.  

-"In the Living Years" is like the saddest song of all time and will always make me tear up. With the tragedies from last weekend, I completely lost my shit and had to rewind twice to catch what was going on at the end of the show. 

• Love 14
36 minutes ago, justjen said:

-Here's the problem with New Jackie -- she isn't Original Jackie so it's hard to remember that she's Jackie and not some Random Friend of Adam. I don't know if that makes sense. 

It does because I have the same issue. 

I liked Murray being the Smother and the reason behind his smothering. 

13 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Oh, Erica. That was just plain wrong on your part what you did to manipulate your boyfriend like that. He deserved better.

Geoff has deserved better for awhile. My mother once told me to find a man who loves me more than I love him so he'll never stray, but their relationship is a whole other level of that. Unfortunately a big part of that is he doesn't feel like he deserves her so he's willing to be a doormat for her. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Oh, Erica. That was just plain wrong on your part what you did to manipulate your boyfriend like that. He deserved better.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. She was raised by a master manipulator. Of course with Beverly it is disguised as her being a "smother," but the manipulation is obvious. At least Beverly seems to be learning the error of her ways when she sees her daughter acting the same way to someone else. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I liked Murray being the Smother and the reason behind his smothering. 

I really enjoyed this too. I said last week that as fun as grumpy Murray is, when he is earnest and passionate it really opens up his character. This week it was fun to see him so passionate about something, and I'm glad it didn't end with Adam playing the part, as we saw how much the play meant to another father as well. My Dad was never a crazed sports dad, but I definitely played on some teams that had those.

It was also fun to see the contrast with the Ruben Amaros. It's nice that the actual Ruben Amaro Jr. gets to play, and honor, his father, who passed away last year. Though if the JTP have been in school for a long time. Ruben Amaro (and Johnny And Carla) has got to be in roughly Grade 15 by now.

Two weeks ago we had the Hershey Highway reference, this week a jingle written for Butt Grease. Someone on the writing staff has quite the preoccupation with that part of the body.

• Love 9

I know its certainly a coincidence, but I really do love that The Goldbergs did one of their most "celebrate Jewish heritage" episodes a week after the horrible tragedy in Pittsburgh. 

The Adam and Murray plot was a lot of fun, and I love whenever Murray gets super into something, like when Murray tried to get Erica back to college, and I like how it ended. Murray just wanted to connect with Adam like he did with his dad! Murray as a sports dad was great, as was Barry's attempts at getting his attention. I do wonder if Adam has actually seen Fiddler though? I mean, yeah its got a lot of sad and depressing stuff, but its also funny and heartwarming at other parts. Its not like all musicals are happy and chipper. Hell, I would consider Pippin to be a darker play than Diddler, just in a more existential way. 

Geoff really is too good for Erica, and he needs to learn to love himself. He loved Erica for so long, now that he is actually with her, he lets her get away with anything. I wish he would move to California and leave her deadbeat ass behind. Bring back New Geoff! 

• Love 7
On 10/18/2018 at 7:32 AM, alexa said:

I loved having the character speak to Adam's mom at the end, and she actually had a 12 page letter just like the content from the show.  So hilarious.  I found this episode to be back on track with previous seasons--a few cute and simple storylines, and some funny things along the way.

every time they have the actual mother on, i have to groan and cringe. she is a horror a crazed smother, no boundaries, i don't like her at all.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Eataton said:

Last week I posted that I hope Erica learns her lesson and maybe give up the singing.

I've come to the conclusion that Hayley Orrantio is on the show specifically TO sing.  Why else would they have hired her?

There are a lot of young and pretty actresses out there.

• Love 1

I thought Nightmare on Elm Street was pretty scary when it came out and I was in high school. My wife is 12 years younger than me and her older brother let her watch it when she was six. I think she’s still scarred from that experience.

Freaks and Geeks did a great episode revolving around a keg of non-alcoholic beer at a high school party. (“Beers and Weirs”.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0582669/

• Love 3
On 10/26/2018 at 2:26 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I thought it was awesome to have Robert Englund revive his Freddy role.

Thought so too, but hated that he was barely in it, from how it was advertised I was hoping for me of him vs Bev then we got.

• Love 3

The ending got me all up in my feels not because of what was going on in the show, but because of The Living Years. I was a young teenager when my dad succumbed to alcoholism (at only 45 years of age). When that song was big, (flash forward a decade), and I was a new mom.  I don't think I ever really cried my heart out over my dad until that song came out.  He wasn't a great dad, but he paid the ultimate price and missed so much in our lives - graduations,  weddings, grandchildren. I would have changed places with Adam or any of his siblings in a second when I was a teen.

• Love 5
On 10/25/2018 at 10:33 AM, Whimsy said:

For me, it's Erica.  What a horrible, hurtful thing to say to the person she's supposedly in love with!  I was cheering Jeff when he said her apology wasn't enough, but then he immediately caved.  Erica didn't bother me that much in the earlier seasons, but she's just horrible and they never have her learn from her mistakes. 

erica is a real shrew to jeff. he can do better. what a nasty thing to say. he shouldn't have forgiven her. the hurtful bitch. 

• Love 1

Adam using Maury's stamps seemed like a move that would have been deemed too immature for Adam during the first season 1.

At this point, I think I've heard Hayley Orrantia sing more than I've heard myself sing. AJ Michalka sounded pretty dreadful during Bohemian Rhapsody, and her duet with Troy Gentile went on about 40 minutes too long. 

Nothing about Ericka dropping out of college is working. Nothing at all.

• Love 17
43 minutes ago, jmonique said:

Adam using Maury's stamps seemed like a move that would have been deemed too immature for Adam during the first season 1.

At this point, I think I've heard Hayley Orrantia sing more than I've heard myself sing. AJ Michalka sounded pretty dreadful during Bohemian Rhapsody, and her duet with Troy Gentile went on about 40 minutes too long. 

Nothing about Ericka dropping out of college is working. Nothing at all.

From your description, I'm pretty sure I'll agree with you. Immature Adam & Erica singing, UGH! If Barry acts like a dipshit it will be a perfect waste of a half hour. I'll send you my heart when I'm done with this. If it's a great show I'll comment further but I'll probably FF most of it.

• Love 5

I was more pissed off at Adam than Erica in this episode. Total dick move, Adam. That is your father's stamps. And I had to side with Beverly's friends. They were right. A 16 or 17 year old kid would be deemed too old for toys.  Video games, yes. But toys....kids outgrow that by the time they are 13. Adam was in the wrong the whole episode.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 16

Barry is the worst at this point. I know he’s always yelled a lot but it’s like all he does now. Nothing he does is funny either. He’s just a yelly jerk.

Adam is another jerk. How stupid can he be to use all those stamps. Another selfish jerk Goldberg.

Also Erica is an asshole every episode and somehow makes up for it the last 2 minutes. It’s always the same. Can she show some type of growth?

So basically all of the Goldberg children are total selfish dbags lol.

This show needs something because it’s so unfunny at this point.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 16
22 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I was more pissed off at Adam than Erica in this episode. Total dick move, Adam. That is your father's stamps. And I had to side with Beverly's friends. They were right. A 16 or 17 year old kid would be deemed too old for toys.  Video games, yes. But toys....kids outgrow that by the time they are 13. Adam was in the wrong the whole episode.

I was prepared to be more annoyed with Erica because I knew from the previews it was yet another episode with her singing, but I was also more pissed off at Adam. I agree with jmonique that Adam using Maury's stamps would have felt too immature for Adam to do in Season 1, but him being toy obsessed at 16 just makes it seem, imo, that there's seriously wrong going on. I get collecting action figures and other collectible items, but I don't know any 16 year olds that would be into toys and play with them like Adam or want to win a Toys 'R Us shopping spree. I know that they always have the injured party forgive the other person or persons, but Adam got off way too easy.

The other story line wasn't so good either, but at least there were a few positives like the con man coming back again, and the Ricky Gold name moment. 

• Love 12
3 hours ago, mortonsalt said:

I know that they always have the injured party forgive the other person or persons, but Adam got off way too easy.

I agree with you entirely, but Murray was stupid enough to give his collection to Adam to share with him.  If those stamps were that valuable to him, he shouldn't have entrusted them to Adam until he had shown he could appreciate them.  

I thought it was nice to hear someone else (Lainey) sing besides Erica.  I don't mind hearing a Big Tasty rap now and then, but it was out of place here.  Don't mess up Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Love 5

As my husband was watching this, he rolled his eyes and said, "If these people hadn't been upper middle class in real life then the kids would've had to get jobs by now." 

When I was a teenager, I didn't know a single 16-year-old who played with toys like that and who would've made such a dick move. And I knew a lot of immature 16 year olds. 

The kids are unlikable jerks and I don't find a lot of what Adam does to be particularly creative. He's coming off as more than just coddled and emotionally stunted by his mother. He's starting to look like he might have some major problems. 

At this point I am just watching it for the 80s' references. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

As my husband was watching this, he rolled his eyes and said, "If these people hadn't been upper middle class in real life then the kids would've had to get jobs by now." 

When I was a teenager, I didn't know a single 16-year-old who played with toys like that and who would've made such a dick move. And I knew a lot of immature 16 year olds. 

The kids are unlikable jerks and I don't find a lot of what Adam does to be particularly creative. He's coming off as more than just coddled and emotionally stunted by his mother. He's starting to look like he might have some major problems. 

At this point I am just watching it for the 80s' references. 

Yeah, I was really not playing much with toys like Adam by the age of 14. I was into video games more and I went back to collecting and reading comics. Plus, for those old Toys R Us shopping sprees. They started cut offs at age 14, especially in the late 80s when most kids who were winning wanted game systems and models more than say: GI Joe or Rock Lords, ect. Also, Rock Lords were in late 1984 early 1985 and was the end of the GoBot line. Him using those stamps, yes season 1 or at the worst season 2 Adam. 16  year old Adam? Murry would have killed him. 

• Love 8

They really need to give Erica something else to do other than the singing thing.  That is not a viable long term storyline to just focus on her singing in one way or another every episode.  And yes the song with Lainey and Barry went on far too long.  I was wondering when it would finally stop.  I also agree that Erica's storylines should involve something other than her being awful and learning a lesson at the end every single time (of course she isn't actually learning anything because she reverts to being an idiot the very next episode to continue the cycle).

As for Adam I didn't mind that he still liked toys, but I did mind that he was acting like an idiot.  The stamp thing was just stupid and awful for a kid that is a relatively good kid and knows better.  

• Love 11

I was watching a rerun on CW last night and guess what--it was about Erica wanting to go to California for college, and I am sure you can guess--Beverly tried to do things to discourage her.  Well, recycled plotline in some ways?  lol

3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

When I was 16 (1990) I abruptly went through a toy phase with my bestie.  In hindsight I think it was a moment of 'I don't wanna grow up and have to deal with life' kind of thing.   Shouldn't Adam be taking PSAT and SATs by now? I know I took the PSAT in either 9th or the beginning of 10th grade. That's prime smother time. 

2 hours ago, alexa said:

And yes the song with Lainey and Barry went on far too long.

For me it both went on too long and at the same time not long enough because that rap just kept getting weirder and weirder and I wondered where will it go next?  That was the only part that made me laugh.

I suppose Adam hadn't put a return address on those post cards because I would think most of those stamps wouldn't officially have enough postage to cover a postcard cost. According to Wikipedia the cost to mail a postcard was 14 or 15 cents in the 80s, but some of those stamps sounded very old and the face value couldn't have been that much.   I would think the postcards would eventually have been returned for insufficient postage. (Of course then they're postmarked which brings down the value)

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 5

I continue to be worried about Troy Gentile, this is the first time in weeks he's had actual interaction with anyone. I enjoyed him in this episode and thought the rap was hilarious, but mostly because Barry reminds me of all the guys I grew up who ended up having a very unsuccessful rap group.  Were The Dropouts supposed to be at Lainey's house? Was it weird that there was a Star Wars poster on the wall where they were practicing? When did Adam get so self-absorbed? Honestly, the episode just seemed so implausible to me that I focused on this weird stuff. 

Or maybe because I'm binge watching the show, since I relatively recently discovered it, I'm just burned out? 

• Love 5

I was so pissed at Adam for using Murray's stamps.  He's supposed to be a bright kid...any kid over 12 years old should know to NOT use a stamp collection for mailing something. 

I was FURIOUS when whatserface's roommate put that bumper sticker on the mail box.  I'm like "that's a federal offense right there lady".  and my husband said,  "I think you're over this show now, aren't you".  YES YES  a million times YES>

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

When I was 16 (1990) I abruptly went through a toy phase with my bestie.  In hindsight I think it was a moment of 'I don't wanna grow up and have to deal with life' kind of thing.   Shouldn't Adam be taking PSAT and SATs by now? I know I took the PSAT in either 9th or the beginning of 10th grade. That's prime smother time. 

I kind of did that as well. I got my Barbies back out and brushed their hair, organized their clothes, etc. And at that age I still collected some of my favorite things, like My Little Ponys and Smurf figurines, but they were more to display. I was no longer having Ken and Barbie playing Gulliver's Travels with them. Adam appears to actively PLAY with his toys in the same manner in which my 11 year old son does. I think that's odd. I do think that part of that is the show's way of kind of having a "loose" timeline with the years, though. I think their idea was to not really focus in on one particular time so that it all kind of runs together. While that works okay(for the most part) with the jumping around in the 80's, it doesn't work so well for the characters' development. 

• Love 6

With Adam's girlfriend being older than him (is she 17? 18? I can't remember), I have a hard time believing that she'd still be interested in a guy who acts so immature, not to mention the jerkiness. He literally acts like a kid who is much younger than he's meant to be. The relationship with Jackie is just odd. Of course, Lainey and Barry are a little odd but I kind of like them together. She tones him down and he lightens her up. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, alexa said:

Erica's storylines should involve something other than her being awful  a moron and learning a lesson at the end every single time (of course she isn't actually learning anything because she reverts to being an idiot a moron the very next episode to continue the cycle).

As for Adam I didn't mind that he still liked toys, but I did mind that he was acting like an idiot a moron. 

In honor of Murray, I fixed that for you :)

• Love 17